Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nh_mooser
Stats: 239.6/196.8/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Originally 12/99; Restart 6/9/14
Does anybody use shakes for 2 meals?

I'm in need of losing some weight before I'm in a wedding in June. I've just let myself go, even though I've known about the wedding for months now. What I'd like to do, because I don't have control of my senses right now, is to have a shake for breakfast, one for lunch, then eat a nice lc meal for dinner.

Does anyone else do that? And, does it work?

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Have a great day.

~ Kim
nh_mooser is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Sounds like the slimfast plan. "A shake for breakfast, a shake for lunch and a sensible dinner." Does it work? Maybe. You'll want to gnaw your arm off after a few days. You have three months, how much do you want to lose?

Last edited by rose1; 03-06-2013 at 08:35 AM..
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

As much as I can. I go to get measured for my bridesmaid's dress tomorrow night (or Saturday morning, depending on Winter Storm Saturn). I know I'm not going to like what I see in the mirror. I haven't figured out why I can't get myself back on plan. I do so well when I follow it. Mainly, I haven't been home much, so haven't had the time to cook and get things prepared.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh_mooser View Post
As much as I can. I go to get measured for my bridesmaid's dress tomorrow night (or Saturday morning, depending on Winter Storm Saturn). I know I'm not going to like what I see in the mirror. I haven't figured out why I can't get myself back on plan. I do so well when I follow it. Mainly, I haven't been home much, so haven't had the time to cook and get things prepared.
Boy, do I understand not being at home. Honestly, I think you would lose a lot better if you got back on plan and stayed there. That two shakes a day routine gets old fast and pretty soon you are off eating a pack of cookies or something.

Lay in string cheese, boil some eggs, precook some chicken breasts and buy some pre-cut vegggies like broccoli and snow peas, celery, bagged lettuce mix. Use your crock pot for a roast every week. Have things ready to grab without thinking and you will not have to stress over what to eat. Maybe join one of the challenges to keep yourself motivated. Then rock that bridesmaid dress!

~*~*~Proud Knitter For~*~*~
The Ships Project- Supporting America's Troops
Deployed in the War on Terror-
One stitch at a time!
http://www.theshipsproject.com
]
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Tater Head
Stats: start weight 212/200 /goal 150
WOE: Lowcarb
Well,

I am doing something like that. I eat and Atkin's frozen breakfast meal in the am, mid morning I have a shake. Another meal for lunch, afternoon shake and then either a regular LC dinner or another Atkins frozen meal.

I got this idea from doing another plan called "The Simple Diet" it was 2-3 meals and 3 shakes per day. That plan was low calorie though. What I liked about it was NO cooking and I never had to think about food all day. If this doesn't work for me using atkins shakes and meals, I may go back to that plan cause it worked. Yes I was hungry LOL.

Debbie...
Tater Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
I can do the Atkin`s shakes and lose weight. On some days I do drink one for breakfast and lunch,then eat a good low carb dinner.Most day`s I drink a shake for breakfast and eat some small lc lunch then have a good low carb dinner.I do not get hungry on the shakes.I know this will not be very well liked, but I lose better drinking a shake for breakfast.Maybe it is just my body likes it. Most people do not lose well with the bars or shakes. I do have to watch the bars. HTH. Good Luck !!!!!
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I usually do a homemade egg cream shake for breakfast, but if I try to do this for two meals I get really hungry. If you stick with a very clean, LC diet, you should be able to achieve the same goal. The trick, imho, is to cut out all of the processed crap, including LC.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
I can do the Atkin`s shakes and lose weight. On some days I do drink one for breakfast and lunch,then eat a good low carb dinner.Most day`s I drink a shake for breakfast and eat some small lc lunch then have a good low carb dinner.I do not get hungry on the shakes.I know this will not be very well liked, but I lose better drinking a shake for breakfast.Maybe it is just my body likes it. Most people do not lose well with the bars or shakes. I do have to watch the bars. HTH. Good Luck !!!!!
I love having an Atkins shake for breakfast, but can't because they make me tired. Don't have a clue why.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
If you stick with a very clean, LC diet, you should be able to achieve the same goal. The trick, imho, is to cut out all of the processed crap, including LC.
I agree, 100 percent. I don't think it makes any sense to do something extreme for an event because whatever you do to lose the weight is pretty much what you will have to do to keep it off. Do you see yourself drinking two meals a day for the rest of your life? If not, reconsider. Besides -- you still have three months before the wedding! I bet you could drop quite a few pounds with a strict induction-level Atkins plan.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, everybody. I really appreciate all your opinions. I think I will try to get some things that I can just grab & go...including a shake every once in a while. Ok, bridesmaid dress, here I come!!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Dr. Eades has a book like about that I believe....The Six Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle. The premise is a couple of shakes a day and a meal I believe, or a variation of. I think there's a board here in the diet section about it.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Breakfast is my least favorite meal, can't seem to stomach food until about 11:00, so I drink a premier protein shake in the morning to get the protein (30grams). If I don't have the shake then I tend to overeat at lunch and dinner.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
I love having an Atkins shake for breakfast, but can't because they make me tired. Don't have a clue why.
It's been a couple years since I've used the shakes, but the same thing happened to me! I would get really tired, like my blood sugar would go up and just crash after having one, as if I'd eaten something carby.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jemmi
Stats: 268/253.5/248 (mini-goal)
WOE: Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Food Plan
Start Date: August 6, 2013
I've just been reading the book by J.J. Virgin, and she has a plan that utilizes 2 shakes and 1 meal in the beginning. Perhaps that may be workable for you.
jemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fourstubbs
Stats: 225/220/142.3/135
WOE: IDEAL PROTEIN
Start Date: Restart July 2012
I am on a plan called Ideal Protein. My doctor recommended it to me. I started the program but then realized how expensive it was and I started doing it myself, at home. What I am doing is I will have one EAS AdvantEdge shake for breakfast, one at lunch, with a salad, one after dinner as a snack. I also eat all of the green lettuce I want, as well as cucumbers and celery. For dinner I have up to 8 oz of lean meat with low glycemic vegetables, which I have up to 4 cups per day. (you can also split up the protein so you can have some at dinner and lunch if you like. The plan is hard, but it works. Within a few days you are in ketosis and you aren't as hungry. I have been doing this since July 2012 and have lost just over 50 pounds. It is important to take some high quality vitamins and drink at least 8 cups of water per day...use sea salt on your food and 1 or 2 teaspoons of olive oil per day. They suggest staying on plan until you lose all of your extra weight...and then add in more protein for the second and third phase. Then you are able to eat a healthy diet. You would need to add in food gradually, or you will gain it back very quickly! It is also recommended not to exercise very hard while you are doing this, and when you do, have another shake. On the real Ideal Protein diet, they sell different packets of food, some have more carbs than I would like. I get my shakes at sam's club for about 30 dollars. When I first started, I would put the shakes in my vitamix with ice and some gluc. powder for thickening with a little sweetener, it kept me pretty full... If you have questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Carbs is the "gasoline" that causes the diabetes flame to burn higher and hotter.... common sense from Dr. Bernsteins website
RIP annagm 1956-2012 My Sweet Sister
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote