Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #211
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
GREAT news Blonde! I know exactly how you felt when you received the word. I have been there.

On the dreams, I have been dreaming regularly which was unheard of previously! I wonder if it is the addition of taters and safe starch? And last night I had a dream about potatoes, LOL, which I wasn't eating them but someone I was visiting was and I was lusting.

I never ate Bubbies before PHD and even though I enjoyed saurkraut once in a while, until I tried Bubbies, I have NEVER felt the need to drink the juice. Isn't that weird? I am crazy about the juice now! I also eat a spoonful of the kraut and pickle relish at dinner, even when it is not part of the meal.

Nancy, thank you for your story. I really enjoy hearing everything you experience. Off to try the BB w/ egg yolk.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Nancy, thank you for sharing the statin experience. I have until June to try to improve my cholesterol counts...When I go back I'll be 'armed' with all the statistics re: statins and women. I'm very lucky my DOc is not a 'pusher' of drugs..but she did tell me that my age, weight, bp issues etc are precursors to heart issues and that statins may be able to 'help'. That's when I asked for a few months to get better with diet and exercise. In other news, I'm so relieved about my thyroid being 'not cancerous' that I'm about to turn over that new leaf we all keep thinking about.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #213
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Yep, this is an excellent time for leaf-turning.

I suspect your doctor is thinking of the inflammation reduction sometimes associated with statins (and, I suspect, the reason they ever seem to work at all). PHD should have similar results.

Quitting grains is amazing to me: I lost almost 50 pounds and 1/2 a shoe size, I stopped grains and lost another 1/2 a shoe size.

On the one hand, inflammation I did not even know was there is going bye-bye; on the other hand, none of my shoes fit!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #214
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
I wear a size 6 but a 7 feels so good, I buy a size 8.... (Steel Magnolias) 'What size are they"? 9! "Perfect"!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #215
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I thought I was doing well on LC but after adding squash or potato to dinner I feel more... sociable maybe? Hard to explain. I started dreaming again too.

My current hobby is making potato recipes with green plantain. Results are mixed!
I know what you mean about being more sociable! I completely relate to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
That's so interesting, Pete--especially about the dreams!

Adding the potatoes gave me such a sense of well-being. I'd only done VLC for two or three short periods and I'd always feel wonderful at first with buzzy energy and then one day I'd just snap and realize that I'd gotten uncharacteristically angry about something. I've heard a few people in the lobby mention this too.

Good hobby! Lol! Mine is how many combos of meat and egg I can put on top of a bowl of hash browns.
Well-being is a good word to describe it. I have been potato hacking for 7 days and hash browns still sound good!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh golly, dreaming is so important to both the body's and the mind's health! I have the kind of sleep apnea that is triggered by REM sleep. Before it was diagnosed, I (and everyone around me) was miserable.

Joyce, if you hunt around on the internet you will find lots of anecdotal reports, and some serious scientific studies, that imply messing with a significant component of the body's repair mechanism - cholesterol - can have major complications. And, as 'zoid says, research implies lowering cholesterol has no impact on heart health for females and only a small, statistically questionable positive impact for most groupings of males. All further complicated since - when cholesterol goes way down - death by non-heart issues tends to rise.

My doctor wants me to take statins (reported over the phone via his nurse). I don't get it. I need to stop smoking, up my exercise, and up those macro- and micro-nutrients PHD cares about. If I fix the things I am allowing to be broken, my total cholesterol may not change, but the particle proportions probably will.

Don't even get me started about 'calculated LDL'. How the heck can we make huge, potentially impactful changes based on a guesstimate? Argh.

We now return this diatribe to it's regular scheduled PHD exploration.

Beat egg yolk into 1 cup BB + 1/2 cup water. Bring to a near-simmer over slow heat (stirring constantly and enjoying watching it glisten as it thickens slightly). Drop in a tsp of butter, melt. Drink. The flavor and texture is - to me - one of the best things I have ever imbibed.
Thanks for this info. I did not know that about women and statins. I am also one who is "on a trial basis" before the doc wants me on statins. I have the blood test ordered (3 months ago) and I have put it off because I dread the fight about the drugs. I read that potato hacking can really lower the number, but I have only done it 7 days so far, so I don't imagine that would have any effect! Your buttered BB recipe sounds WONDERFUL- almost as good as hot buttered rum. Note to self: try Nancy's recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Doctor's are used to people who would rather take a pill than change their life style.
^^^^^^THIS!! Here I am, a person with serious IBD and my GI doc has never once brought up eliminating wheat or going on probiotics. It is all about the drugs. At least they could mention it to those who might like to try lifestyle changes. I know things are changing a bit in medical school now with a more integrated approach, and I hope this trend continues. My last internist looked like he was 12 and he seemed to have more info in alternative approaches to health than some of the others I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
GREAT news Blonde! I know exactly how you felt when you received the word. I have been there.

On the dreams, I have been dreaming regularly which was unheard of previously! I wonder if it is the addition of taters and safe starch? And last night I had a dream about potatoes, LOL, which I wasn't eating them but someone I was visiting was and I was lusting.

I never ate Bubbies before PHD and even though I enjoyed saurkraut once in a while, until I tried Bubbies, I have NEVER felt the need to drink the juice. Isn't that weird? I am crazy about the juice now! I also eat a spoonful of the kraut and pickle relish at dinner, even when it is not part of the meal.

Nancy, thank you for your story. I really enjoy hearing everything you experience. Off to try the BB w/ egg yolk.
I was reading about sauerkraut juice and the possibility of the lactic acid yanking down the cholesterol numbers so I hope that happens for me. Also probiotics and the role in cholesterol.Hopefully all this good PHD stuff will help us all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Nancy, thank you for sharing the statin experience. I have until June to try to improve my cholesterol counts...When I go back I'll be 'armed' with all the statistics re: statins and women. I'm very lucky my DOc is not a 'pusher' of drugs..but she did tell me that my age, weight, bp issues etc are precursors to heart issues and that statins may be able to 'help'. That's when I asked for a few months to get better with diet and exercise. In other news, I'm so relieved about my thyroid being 'not cancerous' that I'm about to turn over that new leaf we all keep thinking about.
Nothing like a shake up to turn over a new leaf. You might try adding in the sauerkraut ad probiotics, if you aren't doing it already, during your waiting period to see if it might help a bit as well. Fingers crossed!!

Quote:
Yep, this is an excellent time for leaf-turning.

I suspect your doctor is thinking of the inflammation reduction sometimes associated with statins (and, I suspect, the reason they ever seem to work at all). PHD should have similar results.

Quitting grains is amazing to me: I lost almost 50 pounds and 1/2 a shoe size, I stopped grains and lost another 1/2 a shoe size.

On the one hand, inflammation I did not even know was there is going bye-bye; on the other hand, none of my shoes fit!
Hmmmmm.... what size are your shoes that don't fit anymore
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #216
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I thought I was doing well on LC but after adding squash or potato to dinner I feel more... sociable maybe? Hard to explain. I started dreaming again too.

My current hobby is making potato recipes with green plantain. Results are mixed!
Love to hear more about the green plantain. Did you read about tatertot's dried plantain? He cuts the plantain and lets it dry on a cookie sheet raw. I think he then adds spices or herbs to taste and eats. Doesn't sound good, but maybe he is just doing it for the RS? Very good for colon health, so that may be the reason too.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #217
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Love to hear more about the green plantain. Did you read about tatertot's dried plantain? He cuts the plantain and lets it dry on a cookie sheet raw. I think he then adds spices or herbs to taste and eats. Doesn't sound good, but maybe he is just doing it for the RS? Very good for colon health, so that may be the reason too.
I am curious why he goes the plantain way if it isn't all that good. You can get great resistant starch from the potatoes. I wonder if he is seeking another benefit from the plantain. I personally do not like plantains all that much, so I am curious. I know you wrote about the plantain health benefits, so maybe that is what he is going for?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #218
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thought this was interesting when cooking our veges. I usually steam mine or stir fry, but my mom is keen on boiling!

Published at biologynews

"Researchers at the University of Warwick have found that the standard British cooking habit of boiling vegetables severely damages the anticancer properties of many Brassica vegetables such as broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and green cabbage.
"...Past studies have shown that consumption of Brassica vegetables decreases the risk of cancer. This is because of the high concentration in Brassicas of substances known as glucosinolates which are metabolized to cancer-preventive substances known as isothiocyanates.
"Boiling appeared to have a serious impact on the retention of those important glucosinolate within the vegetables. The loss of total glucosinolate content after boiling for 30 minutes was: broccoli 77%, Brussel sprouts 58%,
cauliflower 75% and green cabbage 65%.

"The effects of other cooking methods were investigated: steaming for 0-20 min, microwave cooking for 0-3 min and stir-fry cooking for 0-5 min. All three methods gave no significant loss of total glucosinolate analyte contents over these cooking periods."
Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #219
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I prefer stir frying, I spritz the veggies with Braggs liquid aminos and a tiny bit of coconut oil. The stir fry taste is bellisimo.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #220
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post

"Researchers at the University of Warwick have found that the standard British cooking habit of boiling vegetables severely damages the anticancer properties of many Brassica vegetables such as broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cauliflower and green cabbage.
"...Past studies have shown that consumption of Brassica vegetables decreases the risk of cancer. This is because of the high concentration in Brassicas of substances known as glucosinolates which are metabolized to cancer-preventive substances known as isothiocyanates.
Great information. remembering when I was a teen, Mom getting the message about steaming instead of boiling veggies to retain vitamins.

Quote:
. The loss of total glucosinolate content after boiling for 30 minutes was: broccoli 77%, Brussel sprouts 58%,
cauliflower 75% and green cabbage 65%.
Can you imagine how mushy they would be after 1/2 hour boiling?!

Quote:
"The effects of other cooking methods were investigated: steaming for 0-20 min, microwave cooking for 0-3 min and stir-fry cooking for 0-5 min. All three methods gave no significant loss of total glucosinolate analyte contents over these cooking periods."[/I]
Nice to know the microwave is among the acceptable methods.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #221
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Funny potato dream. I have been sleeping great lately, 7-9 hours now almost every night and I think I am dreaming but can't remember them.

In spite of my store sauerkraut supposedly not having the live stuff, my gut was quite uncomfortable when I ran out for a few days. Do you suppose that was related?, Would it miss the lactic acid? I can't wait to make some good stuff.

I have had an unusual week. OUt of nowhere, I am loosely JUDDDing. This kind of just happened. Am 600-800 on some days, always below my UD allowance on others. Not planning or forcing it. It just feels good at the moment to eat light some days. Hope it continues. Makes me very happy, like something is working. I think it is the combination of supplements and PHD.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Great information. remembering when I was a teen, Mom getting the message about steaming instead of boiling veggies to retain vitamins.

Can you imagine how mushy they would be after 1/2 hour boiling?!:sick:

Nice to know the microwave is among the acceptable methods.
I know!!! Hopefully they were doing this for testing purposes only! I hate mushy veges.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Funny potato dream. I have been sleeping great lately, 7-9 hours now almost every night and I think I am dreaming but can't remember them.

In spite of my store sauerkraut supposedly not having the live stuff, my gut was quite uncomfortable when I ran out for a few days. Do you suppose that was related?, Would it miss the lactic acid? I can't wait to make some good stuff.

I have had an unusual week. OUt of nowhere, I am loosely JUDDDing. This kind of just happened. Am 600-800 on some days, always below my UD allowance on others. Not planning or forcing it. It just feels good at the moment to eat light some days. Hope it continues. Makes me very happy, like something is working. I think it is the combination of supplements and PHD.
I am missing out not having potato dreams! I should be dreaming about them as it is all I have had for eight days!

I think it could be the lactic acid. I think I mentioned before that my body is craving the fermented vegetables. The only thing I can think it would be is the acid.

Cici, your report makes me I get so excited hearing good news. Good sleep and being able to JUDDD is just FANTASTIC.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #224
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Last night I dreamed about cornbread. Paul would not be amused.
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #225
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am missing out not having potato dreams! I should be dreaming about them as it is all I have had for eight days!

I think it could be the lactic acid. I think I mentioned before that my body is craving the fermented vegetables. The only thing I can think it would be is the acid.

Cici, your report makes me I get so excited hearing good news. Good sleep and being able to JUDDD is just FANTASTIC.
Thanks, I am always afraid to get excited about a few good days, but seem to be having more and more of them.

Quote:
Can just taste it. I miss corn chips.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Were you eating it? Baking it? Swimming in the batter?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #227
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If I am not still hacking, I am making this stew for St Patty's day. If I am still hacking, I will be eating a bushel full of Irish spuds!

St Patrick's Day Stew

Ingredients

1 TBS coconut oil or Kerrygold butter
1 lb grass-fed beef stew meat
1 large onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 oz of the darkest gluten-free beer you can find
1 large carrot, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 large parsnip, diced
1 large potato, diced
2 TBS tomato paste
1 quart homemade beef stock
1 sprig fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried
1 sprig fresh rosemary, or ½ tsp dried
2 TBS arrowroot powder dissolved in 3 TBS water

Instructions

In a large Dutch oven, or large pan, heat coconut oil or butter over medium high heat. Add meat and sauté for five minutes then add the onions and garlic.
Continue to cook over medium high heat until the cubes are browned. Take the pan off the heat, slide the meat, onions, and garlic into the crockpot.
Add the beer to the dutch oven or pan, and scrape the browned bits off the bottom. Let the beer sit in the pan while you add all of your vegetables, tomato paste, beef stock, thyme and rosemary to the crockpot.
Add the reserved beer to your crockpot and stir everything until incorporated. Set your crockpot on low and cook for 10-12 hours.
Twenty minutes before serving, add your arrowroot/water mixture, and stir to incorporate. Let cook for another few minutes.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #228
Major LCF Poster!

Oh, how good!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Best result so far:
Bisect the plaintain lengthwise, roll out each half and chop into crescents. Sautee for ~3 mins with a blend of butter, ceylon cinnamon, and sea salt. End result is a lot like a sweet potato.

Quote:
Thought this was interesting when cooking our veges. I usually steam mine or stir fry, but my mom is keen on boiling!
I know we're supposed to always cook crucifers to avoid thyroid damage--which is a shame since I like crudité and cole slaw--but sautee in bacon fat is my favorite now so hopefully that works.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #230
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beverly, I am thinking (a) the egg yolk/butter/BB can be a serious taste explosion with the addition of your flavor bombs, and (b) same BB with a wee bit of HWC/vanilla/Manuka honey and cooked really slow could be life-altering sweet/savory pudding.

Yep, recent studies are making me think that all the medical decisions made for women on the basis of men's studies and all the sex-specific decisions made on the basis of grouped (men and women) studies are dangerously wrong. It is beginning to appear the two sexes are very different (hormonally and nutritionally speaking). Which makes sense - any body designed to survive the nine-month long intrusion of an alien being has got to be specialized.

Oh, and last Fall there was a report that taking female's cholesterol down as low as recommended for males (which I think is way too low) ... anyway really low for women = large increase of non-heart attack related deaths (stroke, cancer, etc).

There is, I think, an upper limit over which direct intervention is needed. But, in general, higher (high 200s? she speculated) numbers probably mean something else is broke and needs to be fixed.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #231
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Beverly, I am thinking (a) the egg yolk/butter/BB can be a serious taste explosion with the addition of your flavor bombs, and (b) same BB with a wee bit of HWC/vanilla/Manuka honey and cooked really slow could be life-altering sweet/savory pudding.

Yep, recent studies are making me think that all the medical decisions made for women on the basis of men's studies and all the sex-specific decisions made on the basis of grouped (men and women) studies are dangerously wrong. It is beginning to appear the two sexes are very different (hormonally and nutritionally speaking). Which makes sense - any body designed to survive the nine-month long intrusion of an alien being has got to be specialized.

Oh, and last Fall there was a report that taking female's cholesterol down as low as recommended for males (which I think is way too low) ... anyway really low for women = large increase of non-heart attack related deaths (stroke, cancer, etc).

There is, I think, an upper limit over which direct intervention is needed. But, in general, higher (high 200s? she speculated) numbers probably mean something else is broke and needs to be fixed.
Totally agree on the business of so much women's health recommendations are the result of studies done on men and this has got to change.

Your pudding idea sounds delicious, but curious about the manuka honey. Since it is both a fructose sweetener and antibacterial would it fit with the PHD template? I might try it with a bit of sweet potato blended in instead.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I keep manuka honey for wounds. I have always wondered about trying it for nutrition.

I can't link this article, but it is really good about lacto-fermentation. Just in case anyone wants to read.
Quote:
The Fermentation Process— The Role of Microorganisms in Food Preservation and Nutrition

The first life forms were microorganisms; fossil organisms have been found in rocks 3.3 to 3.5 billion years old. Since then, microorganisms have recycled organic matter in the environment, making them essential to the health of the planet. By studying fermentation, we become involved in the most intimate relationship among man, microbes, and food. Early man very likely consumed fruits, leaves, berries, seeds, nuts, and tubers, and their bodily wastes (as well as their bodies at death) were recycled by microorganisms. The human body also had to accommodate this sea of microorganisms by developing internal and external systems of protection against invasion by harmful microbes. Hence, normal, healthy flora (or microorganisms) live in the skin, mouth, throat, vagina, and intestinal tract, protecting us against invasion from disease-causing organisms. The human fetus, while in utero, is essentially sterile, but is exposed to an array of microorganisms during the birth process. If, however, the infant is breast-fed, its intestinal tract becomes colonized by beneficial bacteria, thus producing lactic acid—which aids in protection against intestinal and respiratory illnesses.

There is something fascinating about microorganisms. They are everywhere—in the air, in water, in food, and in our bodies. They are invisible and without number, capable of multiplying with extraordinary rapidity. Some are agents of illness and even of death—but some are the very foundation of life and health.

The process of fermentation:

Renders food resistant to microbial spoilage and the development of toxins.
Inhibits the transfer of pathogenic organisms.
Improves digestion and nutrient absorption of food.
Preserves food between the time of harvest and consumption.
Enhances flavor and nutritional value.

The Myriad Health and Fermentation Benefits of Lactic Acid Bacteria

The ancient Greeks understood that important chemical changes took place during fermentation. Their name for this change was “alchemy.” Like the fermentation of dairy products, preservation of vegetables and fruits by the process of lacto-fermentation has numerous advantages beyond those of simple preservation. Starches and sugars in vegetables and fruits are converted into lactic acid by the many species of lactic acid-producing bacteria. These lactobacilli are present on the surface of all living things, and are especially numerous on leaves, roots, and plants growing in or near the ground. The proliferation of lactobacilli in fermented vegetables enhances their digestibility and increases vitamin levels. These beneficial organisms also produce numerous helpful enzymes. Their main by-product, lactic acid, not only keeps vegetables and fruits in a state of perfect preservation, but also promotes the growth of healthy flora throughout the intestines. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that inhibits putrefying bacteria. Other alchemical by-products include hydrogen peroxide and small amounts of benzoic acid.

Our bodies’ many systems and functions continuously rely on the balance of nutrients required to fuel our complex physiological needs. The intestinal tract is home to some 100 trillion living bacteria of over 400 different species. Because the organisms are living, they need a certain environment in which to thrive. Beneficial bacteria living in the intestines favor an environment that remains slightly more acidic than alkaline in ratio.

It has been said that what is old becomes new again. The ancient wisdom of lacto-fermentation has truly proven itself through time and cultures as an invaluable artisanal craft with far-reaching nutritional benefits to the health of modern man. Got culture? If not, then investigate the health benefits of fermentation and fermente

Last edited by sunday; 03-16-2013 at 09:13 AM..
Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Best result so far:
Bisect the plaintain lengthwise, roll out each half and chop into crescents. Sautee for ~3 mins with a blend of butter, ceylon cinnamon, and sea salt. End result is a lot like a sweet potato.

I know we're supposed to always cook crucifers to avoid thyroid damage--which is a shame since I like crudité and cole slaw--but sautee in bacon fat is my favorite now so hopefully that works.
Pete, I can't wait until our Sprouts opens next week. I have a feeling they will have plantains. I will try this then.

Just thought I would share that I just made homemade organic chocolate tapioca pudding w/ coconut milk and it is unbelievably delish.

Recipe
1/4 cup of Tapioca Pearls
2 cups of Coconut Milk
dash of sea salt
organic coco powder
stevia/erythitol mix to sweeten.

Cook on med heat for 10-12 minutes and it will thicken. Then transfer to fridge for pudding.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #234
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Best result so far:

Oh yeah..... bacon fat is delish. My mom used to do a red cabbage dish sauteed in a bit of bacon fat with red wine vinegar and a touch of sweetness. I could eat a whole head of cabbage that way!

Quote:

Great idea on adding the flavor bombs! All your info on female cholesterol is fascinating. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote:
Pete, I can't wait until our Sprouts opens next week. I have a feeling they will have plantains. I will try this then.

Just thought I would share that I just made homemade organic chocolate tapioca pudding w/ coconut milk and it is unbelievably delish.
Glad it worked for you! I made it awhile back when someone suggested it and I tossed most of it. Not sure what went wrong. I had the large pearl tapiocas and maybe that was it. Didn't like the texture. Mine called for eggs so maybe that was the problem.

I went to our botanical gardens today as they were having tomatomania and there were tons of different varieties of tomato plants. From all over- heirloom and black and purple, white, yellow, red. I got about 7 plants and hoping at least one will give me a crop! I usually have no luck with tomatoes. I also got cilantro and peppers to grow and hope I can have lots of salsa this summer. Olé.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-16-2013 at 01:30 PM..
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, eating a measured teaspoon of manuka honey in tea or something is one of my occasional celebrations. Come to think of it, very occasional. I've had the bottle two months and have eaten two teaspoons so far. I guess 90% - 100& chocolate keeps me happy.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #236
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
This was new info for me. Thanks. I suspect my thyroid is a bit sluggish and I don't want to do further damage. Coincidentally, crucifers are my favorite vegetable family and have been on my plate raw or steamed most days of my adult life. There are so many benefits. However, if I could restore some thyroid function by exploring different vegetables, it would be worth looking into. I noticed when I googled it that some of my other favorites are also listed in Stop The Thyroid Madness.

Quote:
Eat goitrogens in moderation…..foods which can affect your thyroid in a negative way??

They are commonly known as Goitrogenic foods, which means they contain substances which prevent your thyroid from getting its necessary amount of iodine. If eaten in excess, they interfere with the healthy function of your thyroid gland, tilting you in the direction of being even more hypothyroid, or making you susceptible to having a goiter, or enlargement of your thyroid. If you look closely at the word itself, you can see the root word is goiter (goitro-gen).

Foods which you have to be careful with most revolve around soy-related products and ingredients, as well as certain cruciferous veggies, nuts and some fruits.

Now luckily for the owner of this site, chocolate is NOT considered a Goitrogenic food. But here are foods that ARE:

bok choy
broccoli
brussels sprouts
cabbage
cauliflower
garden kress
kale
kohlrabi
mustard
mustard greens
radishes
rutabagas
soy
soy milk
soybean oil
soy lecithin
soy anything
tempeh
tofu
turnips

Also included in the goitrogen category, even if mildly, are:

bamboo shoots
millet
peaches
peanuts
pears
pine nuts
radishes
spinach
strawberries
sweet potatoes

But, don’t panic, and there are two reasons why! Cooking does appear to help minimize or inactivate the goitrogenic compounds found in these foods, since they are heat sensitive. Also, just because you eat these foods uncooked does NOT mean you will have problems…if you remember the word “moderation”. The owner of this site eats a few strawberries in her Greek plain yogurt several mornings a week. She also enjoys spinach a few times a month (because she can’t stand most other vegetables) as well as peanuts. And with soy being added to many products, it’s hard to avoid. The key is to not eat any goitrogens excessively, pay attention to those labs for hidden soy, and use moderation.

(And now you know why those of us “in the know” cringe when we see the heavy emphasis on soy products in the supermarket, including infant soy formulas! )

Even resveratrol, found in grape skins and wine, plus peanuts, can be a problem to your thyroid if you consume too much.

There are also certain chemicals which can have a goitrogenic effect on your thyroid function. They include:

Amiodarone
carbamazepine
iopanoic acid
Lithium
phenobarbitone
phenytoin
potassium perchlorate
propylthiouracil
rifampin
sulfadimethoxine
SSRI’s like Celexa and others

Iodine and goitrogens: Dr. Brownstein states that taking more iodine will counteract eating some goitrogenic foods. And fluoride, chlorine and bromides are goitrogens too

Last edited by cici52; 03-17-2013 at 03:25 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici-
This is me. honestly I just don't know what to eat. I thought I was doing okay because I cook almost all veges. And I thought fermenting helped, but I see it makes it worse. So I guess I really need to cut back on the Bubbies kraut!

I just posted about not boiling veges, but now I am reading goitrogens do need to be boiled!
And there goes my smoothie!

Weston Price-

Fermentation of sauerkraut actually activates the goitrogens from their precursors. It also has the beneficial effect of reducing the nitrile content to half of what would be generated by cabbage upon digestion.Since nitriles appear to be more toxic than goitrogens and their effects cannot be mitigated by dietary iodine, the overall effect of fermentation is positive. More importantly, if sauerkraut is used as a condiment, the amount of goitrogens consumed is very low and very unlikely to exert any harm. However, it is important to realize that unreasonably high intakes of sauerkraut could have adverse effects.

Most forms of cooking reduce but do not eliminate the goitrogenic effect. Microwaving cabbage reduces the goitrogen bioavailability to one-half; steaming broccoli reduces it to one-third; and boiling watercress reduces it to one-tenth. Boiling not only leaches goitrogens into the cooking water, but also brings the vegetable to a higher temperature, causing a greater thermal destruction of the goitrogens within it. Boiling cabbage for just five minutes results in a 35 percent loss of goitrogen activity; thereafter, each additional five minutes results in another five to ten percent loss. By thirty minutes of boiling, 87 percent of the goitrogens are eliminated. Cooking also greatly reduces the formation of nitriles.

I am not eating wheat and try to avoid soy and take iodine now and eat selenium. ... but

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-17-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #238
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought it might be easier for me to look up and see what foods were OKAY for thyroid. The list seems short... I don't like lettuce unless it is coated in buttermilk ranch, so that is out.
Which side of the fence are green beans on? If anyone can find a list of non-goiterogenic vegetables, please list. TIA

Cucumbers
Romaine
Green Leaf
Ice Berg Lettuce
Zucchini
Avocados
Bell Peppers
Carrots
Leeks
Squash
Celery
Beets
Red Lettuce
Tomatoes

Parsley
Cilantro

Bananas
Blueberries
Blackberries
Raspberries
Apples
Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #239
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello Cici & Bev,
I am actually seeing a specialist for my thyroid in a couple of weeks and will be glad to ask about how much we can have? I have been having the green smoothie every single day, so I may be told that is too much? My smoothie has kale, spinach and swiss chard, plus coconut kefir and blueberries. On the bubbies, I really don't want to quit. It seems so healthy for me. I don't eat a lot of saurkraut, but drink the juice, yes, I do daily. I have been taking l-tyrosine daily, do you think that could be overriding any negatives from the spinach?

Last edited by sunday; 03-17-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you have time to read Chris Kresser's blog, he has an amazing amount of good research on hypothyroidism. Especially, autoimmune issues and hashi's. He and Jaminet strongly believe that inflammation will not allow our thyroid meds to work as they are intended, so we have to get the inflammation under control in order to treat the thyroid. I truly believe that eating the PHD way has been so good for my body that I don't require the full dose of Armour thyroid that I was taking prior to PHD, so I have lowered my dose to 1/2. One reason that I am having the new tests run, is to make sure that I don't have something else going on that could deceive me to believe that my thyroid is working.

From Chris's blog ~

Quote:
A healthy thyroid is a critical component of one’s overall health, and many people are struggling with thyroid disorders such as hypothyroidism, specifically Hashimoto’s autoimmune thyroiditis. In this autoimmune condition, the immune system attacks the thyroid gland, with the resulting inflammation leading to an underactive thyroid gland or hypothyroidism. Hashimoto’s disease is the most common form of hypothyroidism and was the first condition ever to be classified as an autoimmune disease.

I’ve written extensively about thyroid health, focusing on a multitude of environmental factors that may affect thyroid function, including gluten, gut health, stress, excess iodine, and vitamin D deficiency. I’ve also discussed why dietary changes are always the first step in treating Hashimoto’s, and why replacement thyroid hormone is often necessary for a successful outcome.
There is yet another nutritional factor that may play a role in thyroid health: selenium.

Selenium deficiency is not thought to be common in healthy adults, but is more likely to be found in those with digestive health issues causing poor absorption of nutrients, such as Crohn’s or celiac disease, or those with serious inflammation due to chronic infection. (1, 2) It is thought that selenium deficiency does not specifically cause illness by itself, but that it makes the body more susceptible to illnesses caused by other nutritional, biochemical or infectious stresses, due to its role in immune function. (3) Adequate selenium nutrition supports efficient thyroid hormone synthesis and metabolism and protects the thyroid gland from damage from excessive iodine exposure. (4)

Several research studies have demonstrated the benefits of selenium supplementation in treating autoimmune thyroid conditions. One study found that selenium supplementation had a significant impact on inflammatory activity in thyroid-specific autoimmune disease, and reducing inflammation may limit damage to thyroid tissue. (6) This may be due to the increase in glutathione peroxidase and thioredoxin reductase activity, as well as the decrease in toxic concentrations of hydrogen peroxide and lipid hydroperoxides which result from thyroid hormone synthesis. (7)