Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
We have Sunday's doggy avatar in a book my daughter loves. It's captioned "I is incogcheeto." lol
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Hi Beverly!

Here I am! My husband and I went to see Paul and Shou-Ching at Relentless Fitness in Philadelphia last Saturday. So fun! I felt like I knew Paul already since I'd heard so many podcasts. We had our book signed (and bought one for my MIL and FIL and had that signed--figured since they were watching our daughter this might be the only way to get them a book in a graceful, non-pushy manner, as a "gift" for their kind deed, LOL!!!). I told Paul I was from the Low Carb Friends board and he instantly knew what I meant and said, "Wow! You guys have a great group there!!!" and Shou-Ching asked how I'd heard about them, etc.

He gave two talks and answered questions after each one. The first focused more on diet whereas the second covered lifestyle--exercise, sleep, circadian rhythms, faces therapy etc. It was definitely stuff that everyone here knows, but delightful to hear it in person and to hear the questions of the audience. I said to my husband, "What a novelty for me to hear anyone outside of the interwebs talking about this stuff!!"
Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #183
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Hoping for good results. I see you used your "never turn our back on your plan" as your tag line. I like it!

I miss seeing people when they don't post for awhile... Blue, where are you? Joyce, Sven, Kristin... I know Ouizoid had some big busy things going on. I get addicted to all the wisdom you all provide!!
Same here, though some of the ancillary stuff goes over my head. It is all quite interesting and appreciated.

A page or two back we were discussing the biogoodness of sauerkraut so instead of my store brand, I chose a German brand today. It only has cabbage and salt, no preservatives, so by default doesn't that mean it has to be lactofermented?
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #184
Senior LCF Member

p.s. I overheard one woman during the book signing say to Paul, "Thank you for SAVING me from VLC!!"
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #185
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Hi Beverly!

Here I am! My husband and I went to see Paul and Shou-Ching at Relentless Fitness in Philadelphia last Saturday. So fun! I felt like I knew Paul already since I'd heard so many podcasts. We had our book signed (and bought one for my MIL and FIL and had that signed--figured since they were watching our daughter this might be the only way to get them a book in a graceful, non-pushy manner, as a "gift" for their kind deed, LOL!!!). I told Paul I was from the Low Carb Friends board and he instantly knew what I meant and said, "Wow! You guys have a great group there!!!" and Shou-Ching asked how I'd heard about them, etc.

He gave two talks and answered questions after each one. The first focused more on diet whereas the second covered lifestyle--exercise, sleep, circadian rhythms, faces therapy etc. It was definitely stuff that everyone here knows, but delightful to hear it in person and to hear the questions of the audience. I said to my husband, "What a novelty for me to hear anyone outside of the interwebs talking about this stuff!!"
What a wonderful opportunity both for you and DH and for your inlaws. Nice that Paul appreciates our group. Did he give you suggestions for your daughter's health?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #186
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Joyce---what a fantastic opportunity you had there!!! Wow!!! Super wow is all I can come up with to say. I am super excited for you. I am sure you were fascinated. And hanging on each word. How lucky. Thanks for sharing with us.

I love the dog in YOUR avi!! He (or she?) is a cutie pie.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #187
Major LCF Poster!

Off topic:

The store was out of my hair color. I have used the same box for years. It must have taken an hour to make a decision on what to substitute. Finally, this kind young woman helped me figure something out. Fingers crossed. The wrong red can be so wrong.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #188
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Hi Beverly!

Oh Joyce, that is so exciting!! I would have loved to experience that! So cool he knows this forum too! They sound like wonderful people. If you think of anything new to share, please do!
I love your doggy photo too.... so adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Same here, though some of the ancillary stuff goes over my head. It is all quite interesting and appreciated.

A page or two back we were discussing the biogoodness of sauerkraut so instead of my store brand, I chose a German brand today. It only has cabbage and salt, no preservatives, so by default doesn't that mean it has to be lactofermented?
Good question. Was it from the refrigerated section of the store? Not pasturized, right? I know my own brand, Bubbies, says on it- abundant with live cultures. I thought I read somewhere that if it has live cultures it will say so on the label and it will also be in the refrigerated section. What's the brand?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #189
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good question. Was it from the refrigerated section of the store? Not pasturized, right? I know my own brand, Bubbies, says on it- abundant with live cultures. I thought I read somewhere that if it has live cultures it will say so on the label and it will also be in the refrigerated section. What's the brand?
No, it is in a jar. Most of the label is in German but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say cultures anywhere. My store brand is sold in the refrigerater section but does not say anything about cultures and has preservatives. Haven't seen Bubbies. Maybe the health food store.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #190
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Off topic:

The store was out of my hair color. I have used the same box for years. It must have taken an hour to make a decision on what to substitute. Finally, this kind young woman helped me figure something out. Fingers crossed. The wrong red can be so wrong.
That sounds like how my DH picks something out. He stares at boxes for hours I hate shopping with him sometimes I hope the store was just out and did not discontinue the color. I hate it when they do that. You get used to something and they go and discontinue something you love
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
No, it is in a jar. Most of the label is in German but I'm pretty sure it doesn't say cultures anywhere. My store brand is sold in the refrigerater section but does not say anything about cultures and has preservatives. Haven't seen Bubbies. Maybe the health food store.
Bubbies has become pretty common in our regular stores now as well as the health food stores. I doubt the Germans have the same labeling as us. I know there are definitely brands in the fridge section that don't have live cultures.
My store also had the Great Lakes one that was organic unpasturized and refrigerated, but I haven't found it for awhile.
If all else fails, you could make it. My friend makes a huge crock of it with just the cabbage and salt and fermenting time.

Dawnyama you are following PHD, right?
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Off topic:

You can say that again! I have had my colored my hair red since my 30's. Three years ago I had my hairdresser darken it up a bit as the red color was making my head itch. It was similar to the color you have in your avatar. My mom had that same color hair well into her 60's without coloring it! I hope you found one you like!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #193
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Hi, everyone! I'm stopping by to catch up; I've been trying to finish up things at work before taking 10 days off to visit family and go to a (sociology) conference, so I haven't been stopping by LCF for a while.

The discussion of beets made me 1) long for some and 2) do a bit of googling about them. I love beets cold in salads and haven't eaten them in over a year, fearing them to be too high in carbs for me. But 1 cup cooked beets is 13 net grams carbs, and I think I could handle that occasionally. Yummy beet salad for me this summer! I like beets diced and mixed with chopped hardboiled eggs and sour cream (a vaguely Russian recipe) and also sliced and served cold on salad greens with crumbled blue cheese or feta.

Sunday, an article about beetroot juice ("The Truth About Beetroot Juice") says the juice is more effective than the plain beets in lowering blood pressure because cooking the beets neutralizes some of the nitrates that are probably behind the lowered blood pressure.

Since I don't want to shop for groceries before going out of town, I have been eating random meals of things like tinned sardines, hard-boiled eggs, pieces of cheese, etc.--but mostly pretty healthy stuff. I am putting "The Perfect Health Diet" in my bag to read on the plane en route to Providence/Boston.

Interesting to read about our gorgeous redheads, Cici and Beverly, chatting about coloring their hair. I'm not sure what your hair would be like without the red coloring, but it sure looks great in your avatars.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #194
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Bubbies has become pretty common in our regular stores now as well as the health food stores. I doubt the Germans have the same labeling as us. I know there are definitely brands in the fridge section that don't have live cultures.
My store also had the Great Lakes one that was organic unpasturized and refrigerated, but I haven't found it for awhile.
If all else fails, you could make it. My friend makes a huge crock of it with just the cabbage and salt and fermenting time.

Dawnyama you are following PHD, right?
I just watched a How To video and it looks so easy. I am just going to make some.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #195
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Sven, and thanks for the nice comment. I was a natural blond but went red when the greys started being noticable. The hairline around my face is actually getting to be quite white now.

Beverly, my mom is a natural redhead too. In her 80's now, it still has a peachy blond tone instead of grey or white.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just watched a How To video and it looks so easy. I am just going to make some.
Awesome and yes, so easy and so much cheaper! I thought fermenting veges would be a pain, but that too is so easy with a salt brine! I mix daikon radish, carrot shreds, carrots,cauliflower, green onions , herbs and spices. I love this stuff!!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #197
Major LCF Poster!

Do you use a large crock?
Old 03-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Hoping for good results. I see you used your "never turn our back on your plan" as your tag line. I like it!

Well yeah, it was your idea!! Thank you! GOOD NEWS! I don't know how they know these things from a picture, but Doctor called and said my thyroid has a benign cyst. Nothing to worry about, no treatment necessary. She still wants me to have the thyroid blood panels done, but unless it bothers me or starts to hurt, it's all good. I thought for sure I'd have to have a biopsy, at the least![/B] I can't tell you how relieved I am. I didn't know how scared I was until I got the good news. Crazy, So glad I didn't have to wait to find out!

I spent the day out with my BFF...we had lunch and stuff, then came home and called my Doc. I'm going to sleep much better tonight!
6/27~226.6
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Well yeah, it was your idea!! Thank you! GOOD NEWS! I don't know how they know these things from a picture, but Doctor called and said my thyroid has a benign cyst. Nothing to worry about, no treatment necessary. She still wants me to have the thyroid blood panels done, but unless it bothers me or starts to hurt, it's all good. I thought for sure I'd have to have a biopsy, at the least![/B] I can't tell you how relieved I am. I didn't know how scared I was until I got the good news. Crazy, So glad I didn't have to wait to find out!

I spent the day out with my BFF...we had lunch and stuff, then came home and called my Doc. I'm going to sleep much better tonight!
Woohoo! So glad that you had a reassuring call from the doctor and are feeling better! Have a lovely, refreshing evening and a good night's sleep.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

and speaking of sauerkraut,like Sunday, I am drinking the juice everyday.The benefits of lactic acid seem so great!!

Due to its high lactic acid content, sauerkraut juice facilitates the permeation of fats into areas where there were previously blockages in the metabolism of fats.
--Written by Healing Cancer Naturally
Old 03-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #201
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I am so relieved for you, Blonde. There have been some thyroid cancers in people close to me so I was afraid more than I could say.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/226.6/125
WOE: Currently 5:2 w/ a 3rd all fruit & veg day
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I missed reading this entire page! I don't know how I skipped it. Sorry all, I wasn't ignoring.

Thank you Beverly and Cici! I was pretty scared. When I had the message to call my Doctor my heart ramped up into my throat! She just wanted me to know asap that everything's okay. Nobody wanted to say the "C" word but we were all thinking it.

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 03-14-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Do you use a large crock?
half gallon mason jars for my veges

Quote:

Oh what a relief!! That is so great you don't have to have the biopsy. And a perfect way to celebrate- out with your BFF.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Oh Blonde! Wonderful news! I am so relieved.

I searched for Bubbies and found it is sold at a Natural Foods store reasonably close to my little home in the wilderness. (Still building up the nerve to surprise DH with fermenting veggies and kefir.)

Blonde, DH has all the classic but supposedly non-existent statin reactions: tendon, muscle, and joint pain, massive loss of muscle strength and motor control, memory loss (permanent for most of 2002 - 2007), depression, anger, nasty breakdowns in logic, depression, depression, pain, depression, more memory loss, more anger. I figured out I must love him because I rode the wave for years - knowing he was ill but not knowing why or what to do about it - until...hard to say 'fortuitously'....but something wonderful happened: either a stroke or a brain virus left him with permanent vertigo and a complete change of meds. THEN we realized all the aberrations came from drugs.

Twice since 2007 his doctors have convinced him to try alternative statins. This allowed us to pinpoint the drug causing the problems to statins.

He now has, in writing, my promise that if he ever swallows another statin or not-really-a-statin-it-works-in-the-stomach-not-the-liver cholesterol reducing pill, then I am so history.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
What a wonderful opportunity both for you and DH and for your inlaws. Nice that Paul appreciates our group. Did he give you suggestions for your daughter's health?
Thank you! No, there wasn't time to talk about that (line behind me) but he offered great advice in the Reddit thread so I will be incorporating as much as I can (my husband is still laughing over Paul's question, "does your daughter eat liver? vegetables?").

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
Joyce---what a fantastic opportunity you had there!!! Wow!!! Super wow is all I can come up with to say. I am super excited for you. I am sure you were fascinated. And hanging on each word. How lucky. Thanks for sharing with us.

I love the dog in YOUR avi!! He (or she?) is a cutie pie.
Thanks so much! Yes, that's our dog Princess Buttercup! She is a riot.

Quote:
Oh Joyce, that is so exciting!! I would have loved to experience that! So cool he knows this forum too! They sound like wonderful people. If you think of anything new to share, please do!
I love your doggy photo too.... so adorable!
Thank you, Beverly!!! Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Oh Blonde! Wonderful news! I am so relieved.
DH has all the classic but supposedly non-existent statin reactions: tendon, muscle, and joint pain, massive loss of muscle strength and motor control, memory loss (permanent for most of 2002 - 2007), depression, anger, nasty breakdowns in logic, depression, depression, pain, depression, more memory loss, more anger.
Nancy, I have to say all of this sounds just like my father-in-law, who has been on statins for quite some time. He has always had a short temper from what I understand but lately it just seems MORE. Like on Spinal Tap when they say, "This one goes to 11." In a bizarre way it reminds me of when I tried to do VLC (under 20 carbs) and I would get mad at something in a way that just wasn't quite right--not myself. Zero to irate in 2.2 seconds. Last week we were all out to eat and he became enraged at something the waitress did. He has been saying how worried he is about memory loss too. I am going to have my husband try to broach the topic with him (I am likely already in the doghouse for trying to persuade them to ditch the Benecol margarine and use butter: "But Joyce, this has special stuff in it that lowers cholesterol!"). Sigh. I'm so glad that, through whatever means, you were both able to discover how the statins affected your husband.

Blonde--so relieved for you!!!

Last edited by mttemple4; 03-14-2013 at 06:14 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
In a bizarre way it reminds me of when I tried to do VLC (under 20 carbs) and I would get mad at something in a way that just wasn't quite right--not myself. Zero to irate in 2.2 seconds.
I thought I was doing well on LC but after adding squash or potato to dinner I feel more... sociable maybe? Hard to explain. I started dreaming again too.

My current hobby is making potato recipes with green plantain. Results are mixed!
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #207
Senior LCF Member

That's so interesting, Pete--especially about the dreams!

Adding the potatoes gave me such a sense of well-being. I'd only done VLC for two or three short periods and I'd always feel wonderful at first with buzzy energy and then one day I'd just snap and realize that I'd gotten uncharacteristically angry about something. I've heard a few people in the lobby mention this too.

Good hobby! Lol! Mine is how many combos of meat and egg I can put on top of a bowl of hash browns.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh golly, dreaming is so important to both the body's and the mind's health! I have the kind of sleep apnea that is triggered by REM sleep. Before it was diagnosed, I (and everyone around me) was miserable.

Joyce, if you hunt around on the internet you will find lots of anecdotal reports, and some serious scientific studies, that imply messing with a significant component of the body's repair mechanism - cholesterol - can have major complications. And, as 'zoid says, research implies lowering cholesterol has no impact on heart health for females and only a small, statistically questionable positive impact for most groupings of males. All further complicated since - when cholesterol goes way down - death by non-heart issues tends to rise.

My doctor wants me to take statins (reported over the phone via his nurse). I don't get it. I need to stop smoking, up my exercise, and up those macro- and micro-nutrients PHD cares about. If I fix the things I am allowing to be broken, my total cholesterol may not change, but the particle proportions probably will.

Don't even get me started about 'calculated LDL'. How the heck can we make huge, potentially impactful changes based on a guesstimate? Argh.

We now return this diatribe to it's regular scheduled PHD exploration.

Beat egg yolk into 1 cup BB + 1/2 cup water. Bring to a near-simmer over slow heat (stirring constantly and enjoying watching it glisten as it thickens slightly). Drop in a tsp of butter, melt. Drink. The flavor and texture is - to me - one of the best things I have ever imbibed.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #209
Major LCF Poster!

Doctor's are used to people who would rather take a pill than change their life style.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 AM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wise, Cici, very wise.