Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Butternut would probably break your fast, so you are doing the 16 hour or more? Just curious.
I'm just trying to honor my own 2p-8p window, but getting through the morning on a completely empty stomach might be rough. I had a theory that morning hunger is more electrolyte than energy hence the idea of a "potassium soup". I'll shop for the ingredients this weekend.

It seems like most tomato soup recipes call for cream so I'll have to play with the seasonings to make it edible, heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Just want to say how impressed I am with anyone biking to work... in Minnisota... in March.
Only this week! The hardcore folks don't pause for the winter, though my area has well-maintained trails.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #152
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:

Not sure on this. I think it might be important to limit the total starch carbs to the safe limit researched by Jaminet (600cals?). I may not understand the science but here is my take. There is only so much the body can do with glucose. It cannot turn it into protein. It can turn it into fat, but beyond the actual needs, Jaminet seems to consider it toxic. So - it seems to be good as used for a DD hack, however, it may not be so good in the eat all you want scenario mentioned on some of the PH threads. I do not think it has enough protein to supply muscle needs at low calorie levels. Also, have some concern about the potassium/sodium balance and strain on kidneys to maintain same given the high potassium of potatoes.
Good point. I forgot about reading this by Jaminet. I need to keep in mind I am metabolically challenged.

Yes, I do believe it’s the wheat/grains that are the main factor in weight gain.

However, keep in mind that our diet is a low-carb diet. The average American eats 1900 carb calories a day. We recommend 400, an 80% cut.

To me there are two key dividing lines:
1) Toxic vs non-toxic foods. If you start healthy you can probably eat all the “safe starches” you want and never get fat. Toxic foods are needed to create metabolic derangements.
2) ~600 carb calories/day — the body’s glucose utilization threshold. Metabolically damaged people have difficulty disposing of excess glucose. So for them, eating glucose above the amount the body can use is a no-no.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Pete, Have you ever tried a supp called pterostilbene (blueberries) or DLPA? For some reason, they both are great at keeping the fast going with a bit of extra energy.

Bev
, I think when I did the hack, I was eating about 600-700 cals daily. That may have accounted for my big loss. However, I felt very good.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:13 AM   #154
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Laughing at the sound of wind whistling between my ears while reading this. My self dignostic abilities run to Gut runs fast, gut runs slow, gut hurts, gut etc.
This made me laugh, Cici!

I had a Doctor appointment yesterday for a check on my BP. I brought my Doctor's attention to a slight swelling on the lower right/center of my neck, I noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Well, apparently it's my thyroid gland and she wants to do a thyroid ultra sound, then run some blood tests etc. I'm completely in the dark about thyroid issues, I've never given it a moments worry, so luckily I don't know enough to worry (but I'm a bit worried). My last test was almost 5 years ago (that was news to me) and all was normal.

I switched my 'tracking' plan to my plate at live strong. Instead of counting points (which tells me nothing) I'm tracking the macros, etc. and getting clear picture of what I'm eating in protein/carbs/fat. I think this will help me to lose more weight. Being stalled the last few weeks and not really understanding 'why' made me look for a way that was clearer to me, and not so ambiguous.

I'm seriously considering possibly thinking about maybe doing another hack.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 05:51 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good morning Blonde,

I want to give you a big hug and good thoughts on the thyroid. I have been battling hypo for some time, but I truly believe I may have healed mine with PHD. I will report back after my bloodwork.

I posted this over on the Potato Hack thread, but thought I would share the research behind this wonderful RS and the possibility that doing an intermittent potato fast while PHD, may be very beneficial for our gut.

Research With Resistant Starch Has Widespread Health Implications - LSU AgCenter

Resistant Starches are supposed to fight heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. Plus they'll boost your immune system.

Unlike refined grains and sugars, resistant starches aren't broken down into sugar in the small intestine. They "resist" this digestion and pass on into the large intestine, where they act more like dietary fiber. Not only that, resistant starches are fermented in the large intestine, a process which in itself consumes energy.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 AM   #156
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for the hugs, Sunday! I got hit with a double whammy. She's giving me until June to improve my cholesterol numbers or she's going to push Lipitor on me. I like this Doctor and I hate to tell her no, but I might. I'm spinning a little this morning.

So regarding intermittent potato fast...like twice a week or JUDDD-style? What are your thoughts? A fast would be under 600 calories so that the glucose isn't too much for the body to handle, yes?
Old 03-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
That seems like a good plan. Am thinking of doing the same.

Glad that you are grtting the thyroid checked ouy.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Blonde, I have noticed my trigs seem to rise and my HDL seems to drop when my body is under stress. Last fall, when I had a hernia my doctor refused to believe in, my numbers jumped and he pushed statins. After seeing what those drugs did to my DH, heck will freeze over and I still won't have touched them.

Since the hernia was repaired, I am kind of looking forward to my next blood test.

Could be you react similarly and your blood work is impacted by whatever is happening to your thyroid.

I have my fingers crossed for you.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Nancy I definitely react to stress. The reason she wanted to do a BP check was because I had a high BP reading at the urgent care a few weeks ago due to a UTI. It (BP) was normal yesterday. What kind of issues did your DH have with statins? (If you don't mind me asking) Also, I have no gallbladder and I wonder if that is part of the problem....

As for the thyroid thing, it's a wait and see until I get the tests....
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #160
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

[quote=Blonde with a Rose;16313136]This made me laugh, Cici!

I had a Doctor appointment yesterday for a check on my BP. I brought my Doctor's attention to a slight swelling on the lower right/center of my neck, I

Oops- sorry I was trying to do this on my phone. Will post later.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-13-2013 at 08:01 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #161
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, Have you tried any natural supps? My brother fought high BP and started taking Enzymatic Therapy BP Manager plus Beet Root Powder. He said it was automatic for him. Beet Root has soooo many health properties besides help with BP. It also lowers bad cholesterol.

Quote:
According to the American Heart Association, beet juice can help lower blood pressure and it is also noted that due to the high content of iron in beets, they are good for anemia. Beet powder provides a wide range of nutrients, but its most significant phytochemical is betaine. This plant chemical helps the liver and kidneys recycle the amino acid methionine to maintain the body's stores of s-adenosyl-methionine, more commonly known as SAM-e. Betaine also helps the liver process fat. This prevents the accumulation of fatty tissues in the liver (steatosis), especially in heavy drinkers, and it also prevents excessive triglycerides and LDL cholesterol in the blood. Other antioxidants in beet root prevent the oxidation of LDL into forms that can become plaques. Beet root powder may also be helpful as a food choice for people with the rare disease cystathionine beta-synthase deficiency. Either beet root powder or supplemental trimethylglycine will lower homocysteine levels in this disease, but beet root powder provides a greater range of nutrients.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Blonde, Have you tried any natural supps? My brother fought high BP and started taking Enzymatic Therapy BP Manager plus Beet Root Powder. He said it was automatic for him. Beet Root has soooo many health properties besides help with BP. It also lowers bad cholesterol.

Um, no...but I love pickled beets and eat them all the time! I've never really 'been into' supplements until the last few months. It's a definite learning curve!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You may be surprised at what just eating pickled beets can do?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #164
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What I was trying to post about on my phone before was the beet juice that Sunday wrote about. It is what helped me lower my BP. Eating beet chips and eating beets themselves wasn't powerful enough to make an impact. But drinking the juice did it and has maintained it.
I was playing around with it as I have my BP checked every two weeks when I get a shot. If I drank 20 ounces of beet juice 8 hours before my test, my BP would be nice and low. Eating the beets didn't lower it--likely because I didn't eat enough to equal the juice. But doing it ongoing might have an overall impact.

The impact with the juice was almost immediate. This study says 4-5 points, but mine was the difference of big numbers. I was 110/70 this AM.
The study used about 16 ounces of beetroot juice, which is equivalent to eating five medium sized beets. However, it is thought that drinking just eight ounces of beet juice a day could be enough to reap the benefits.

Just a caution- the beets turn your urine and poop dark red. If you look in the toilet and see the dark red water, you are not bleeding to death as I first thought!!

Drinking just over two cups of beet juice daily may help keep your blood pressure in check, according to a 2008 study. Within three hours of drinking 500 milliliters (about 17 ounces) of beet juice, volunteers showed a significant decrease in blood pressure. What's more, that drop in blood pressure was sustained for up to 24 hours after the juice was consumed.

The study's authors suggest that nitrate—a nutrient found in green, leafy vegetables in addition to beets—may be responsible for beet juice's blood-pressure-lowering effects.

I get my beet juice at Sprouts but it is costly so I am just juicing my own. Kind of a pain because it dyes everything, but it is working for me.

Beet Juice Lowers Blood Pressure

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-13-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
beet root powder eh? tht might be easier

As to statins, there is no good evidence that they are helpful to women AT all.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #166
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev,
Is it true that the beet root powder may require less than you would if you were drinking the juice? Just trying to help conserve cost. Also, Blonde, the beet root is supposedly fantastic for gallbladder and passing stones, but since you don't have a gallbladder that would not matter, however, you may want to share the health benefits with family.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bev,
Is it true that the beet root powder may require less than you would if you were drinking the juice? Just trying to help conserve cost. Also, Blonde, the beet root is supposedly fantastic for gallbladder and passing stones, but since you don't have a gallbladder that would not matter, however, you may want to share the health benefits with family.
That is true. I recently bought Green Foods organic beet essence. 2 tsp in juice or water . Can't mix with anything hot and need to do it on an empty stomach.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #168
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, your new avi cries out for an intervention. Did you lay those cheezecurls on the photo or the pooch?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for all the good info! I have a good juicer, so I'll give it a try!
Old 03-13-2013, 11:16 AM   #170
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sunday, your new avi cries out for an intervention. Did you lay those cheezecurls on the photo or the pooch?
Love your sense of humor Cici!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Thanks for all the good info! I have a good juicer, so I'll give it a try!
And beets are PHD approved! I really developed a taste for the stuff and it is not so expensive when you juice it. I keep a box of disposable food-handling gloves on hand for handling beets. I was getting some giant sized ones and cooking them in my crockpot. Kept me from having to heat the oven for a few beets. I just love beets which is weird as I hated them as a kid.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM   #171
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My bff hates beets and always makes fun of me when we go to a salad bar. I put so many on my salad, everything turns pink. She said "I think they taste like dirt.' then said "Oh sorry, I mean they're 'earthy'....I just laughed...with my pink teeth.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
This isn't my bully, but a carbon copy of my granddog, Shorty McGee, from Seattle, who was a cheeto lover. He was quite a character and the photo reminded me of him & the fun we used to have.

Blonde, I worry a bit about the pink teeth. I already have to floss every time I drink my green smoothie.

Last edited by sunday; 03-13-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #173
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, I use a whitening toothpaste, other wise between the beets and the vino I'd be in big trouble. Good thing I don't smoke too.

Getting my ultra sound today! That was fast.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Sunday, I use a whitening toothpaste, other wise between the beets and the vino I'd be in big trouble. Good thing I don't smoke too.

Getting my ultra sound today! That was fast.
Please keep us posted!

I love evco and the whitening toothepaste.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So Blonde, how did it go??

I was reading something about a person (not anyone on this thread) who was flavoring their bone broth with herbs and spices at the beginning of cooking and thought I would share this tip.

You can optimize the taste and the prebiotics of the herbs and spices or any dish with flavor extracts. The flavor extracts will get the most from herbs, spices, garlic and onion. It preserves the nutritional benefits of the phenols and the flavor.

The tip is to create a flavor extract with a small amount of wine and olive oil. You add the flavor extract to soup, sauces or whatever dish after it has stopped simmering.

Boiling water is what extracts phenols from herbs and spices. But prolonged exposure to high temp greatly reduces the phenol content plus it depletes flavor. Phenols readily dissolve in wine or oil.

To make a flavor extract, take the herb, spice, garlic or onion that you want put in a shaker jar or blender jar and add a bit of red wine to it. About 2 tbs. The red wine has more phenols than white. Let it sit for awhile and the wine will start to release the phenols. Then add 2 Tbs of olive oil and shake or blend the mixture. You can adjust the amounts of oil and wine as you like. After your bone broth, soup, or other dish has stopped simmering, you add your flavor extract.

I have sage, oregano, cilantro, and a few other herbs growing right now and I created a few flavor extracts and poured them into ice cube trays to freeze. It is a nice way to preserve a bumper crop of herbs that come all at once.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #176
Major LCF Poster!

Brilliant!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! I like this thought. So I could mix rosemary & sage, then freeze, then pop in my broth when done simmering? How simple!
Old 03-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Wow! I like this thought. So I could mix rosemary & sage, then freeze, then pop in my broth when done simmering? How simple!
I know!! I have a few ice cube trays that are half the size of regular ones and I like to use those too for when I make just a bowl of broth. I have noticed a big difference in the flavor it adds. I like your idea of mixing the herbs too. Parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme anyone?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Beverly! Great ideas! I love herbs, fresh or otherwise. My Mom used to make the most wonderful vegetable soup with a tomato base and always threw in a couple of bay leaves. Delicious!

My ultra sound went well, it took about 20 minutes. Their Doc will review it today and mine will have it in a day or so. I'm just waiting now for further instructions.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Hi Beverly! Great ideas! I love herbs, fresh or otherwise. My Mom used to make the most wonderful vegetable soup with a tomato base and always threw in a couple of bay leaves. Delicious!

My ultra sound went well, it took about 20 minutes. Their Doc will review it today and mine will have it in a day or so. I'm just waiting now for further instructions.
Hoping for good results. I see you used your "never turn our back on your plan" as your tag line. I like it!

I miss seeing people when they don't post for awhile... Blue, where are you? Joyce, Sven, Kristin... I know Ouizoid had some big busy things going on. I get addicted to all the wisdom you all provide!!