Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Bev, I don't always eat cold. I eat the 1st one in the morning cold, but then I have them warm or almost hot. When I have the tater soup, I heat it up with a bit of broth and it is wonderful.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Supposedly the resistent starch benefits are greatest when the potatoes are eaten cold, but many of the recipes for people doing potato hacks imply that the potatoes are eaten warm, so I think most people do a mix of warm and cold potatoes. And I think there's no loss of value if the cooked potatoes are eaten at room temperature, rather than chilled.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will have to track it down, but somewhere in the middle of the Cronise thread, they spoke about eat one slice of raw tater before each tater dish. Do you think this was for the starch? Or for that matter, why couldn't you take a
spoonful of RS? And then eat your tater?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I will have to track it down, but somewhere in the middle of the Cronise thread, they spoke about eat one slice of raw tater before each tater dish. Do you think this was for the starch? Or for that matter, why couldn't you take a
spoonful of RS? And then eat your tater?
Now THAT is interesting. I wonder what the theory is behind that. I understand about retrograding potatoes and eating the starch cold for the resistant starch benefits, but I guess I am confused on the potato hack's goals and if it is trying for the resistant starch benefit or just potato benefits like encouraging your body to rely on endogenous fat. Burning the fat while in an insulin depleted state... Or both. I guess I need to read more. If you find out the reason people were eating the slice of raw potato, please do post it. I am curious!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Now THAT is interesting. I wonder what the theory is behind that. I understand about retrograding potatoes and eating the starch cold for the resistant starch benefits, but I guess I am confused on the potato hack's goals and if it is trying for the resistant starch benefit or just potato benefits like encouraging your body to rely on endogenous fat. Burning the fat while in an insulin depleted state... Or both. I guess I need to read more. If you find out the reason people were eating the slice of raw potato, please do post it. I am curious!
I found the thread that Key Tones started on potato hacking to be a really useful summary; that's given me my best understanding of the reasons for potato hacking. I'm trying to get my body to rely on endogenous fat as my main motivation. But it's not clear why my body is so darn resistent to weight loss, and maybe there are some gut dysbiosis or permeability issues behind that, so the gut healing is a secondary goal for me.

I love seeing the words "endogenous fat"; I hear all the time about "endogeneity problems" in discussions of research designs, at my job; economists (and sociologists and demographers, to a lesser extent) obsess about that sort of thing when selecting variables to include in models for hypothesis testing. I hadn't expected to find "endogenous" used in terms of health/diet issues, but the term certainly makes sense.

All I've read so far about eating raw potato was someone's observation that they had liked the taste ever since being a kid and eating a small raw potato the way others might eat a small apple.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Whole Foods Now Labeling GMOs

Sorry can't link, but you can get the gist of the article. This is fantastic!
Note the bolded section. Monsanto & Dupont believe that GMO seeds are no different than non-modified natural seeds, in fact, they think they are improved.

Quote:
Whole Foods says all products in its North American stores that contain genetically modified ingredients will be labeled as such by 2018.

The company says it's the first national grocery chain to set such a deadline for labeling foods that contain genetically modified organisms, or GMOs. A spokeswoman for the supermarket operator said organic foods will not have to carry the labels since they do not contain genetically modified ingredients by definition.

Although Whole Foods is known as an organic grocer, it also sells a wide array of non-organic products.

The use of GMOs has been a growing issue in recent years, with health advocates pushing for mandatory labeling even though the federal government and many scientists say the ingredients are safe.

The science behind genetically modified organisms is not new. Biotech scientists say that genetic manipulation is a way to reduce disease and enrich plants, raising productivity and increasing the global food supply. According to the National Academies of Sciences, genetically modified corn, cotton and soybeans account for more than four-fifths of those crops grown in the U.S.

In a statement, the Biotechnology Industry Organization, which represents Monsanto, DuPont and other makers of genetically modified seeds, said that it supports the voluntary labeling for people who seek out such products. But since the FDA says there's no difference between foods that have been improved with biotechnology and their organic counterparts, the group said mandatory labeling would only mislead or confuse consumers.

Whole Foods Market Inc. is nevertheless seeing growing demand for products that don't use GMOs. Products that get a "Non-GMO" verification label see sales spike between 15 percent and 30 percent, said A.C. Gallo, president of Whole Foods. In non-perishable groceries, he said the two fastest growing areas are organic and non-GMO products.

Last edited by sunday; 03-08-2013 at 02:35 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
It was geneti modification tbat ruined grains. I dont believe that business about no differdnce.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Posting from phone. Look illiterate.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Cici. We wouldn't have the problem with wheat belly, if we had left the wheat alone.

My texts look similar so I can relate!
Old 03-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
LOL Cici! We know what you meant!

Girls, can I just say I'm having such a hard time with a diet plan right now? I've been following WW since the beginning of the year and trying to follow PHD recommendations which are fitting in okay, the problem is I'm actually going the other way on the scale now... From 222 to 217 to 215 to 210 to 215 and then 215 again for the last two weigh ins! I'm so frustrated!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #71
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: Low Carb ala JUDDD
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Have you seen Pirate Jenny's post a out eating the resistant starch from a spoon that she bought some time ago?

I think I can find the link....

Raw cornstarch experiment, anyone? :)

Last edited by Seabreezes; 03-08-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

Girls, can I just say I'm having such a hard time with a diet plan right now? I've been following WW since the beginning of the year and trying to follow PHD recommendations which are fitting in okay, the problem is I'm actually going the other way on the scale now... From 222 to 217 to 215 to 210 to 215 and then 215 again for the last two weigh ins! I'm so frustrated!
Blonde, are you sticking with the recommended points (or whatever they are doing now) and still gaining or are you having trouble sticking to it?

I have gained too, but have been knowingly eating a little above my UD calories since I quit smoking. I have been bouncing between 208 and 215 which is significantly above my ticker weight, but am just forgiving myself as long as it doesn't go higher. I did start a potato hack today again. I feel really so much stronger than a week ago since starting the supplements. Today went really well. Will see how tomorrow goes. I am staying away from protein and fat but allowing starch variety and vegetables. Had hash browns plus squash for breakfast, chips for lunch, boiled for dinner with broth and saurkraut. Making potato chips really helped with grazing. One potato makes a whole lot of chips. I may or may not go to the extreme, potato only version depending if this goes well for a few days.

Recipe thread for Metabolism Miracle

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...-step-1-a.html
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
Have you seen Pirate Jenny's post a out eating the resistant starch from a spoon that she bought some time ago?

I think I can find the link....
I like it in my smoothies and my bread. Not sure I want to take it off a spoon. It's good stuff to add to Ouis's flour mix too!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, How about trying the potato hack? I was reading Keytone's thread and it sounds interesting. I started it today myself.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-08-2013 at 05:11 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday- Was this the post you were looking for about eating raw potato?

3 Otzi posts 1-3-13

- - -

I remember reading a while back that raw potatoes could cause gastric upset so always shied away from them...however, I have found eating a few slices while cutting them up is no problem. I have never tried more than a few slices.

- - -

Just found this...pretty cool!

The pros and cons of munching on raw potatoes | UTSanDiego.com

QUESTION: I grew up on a farm in Minnesota, and I always used to like eating raw potatoes like apples. I still like them better raw than cooked, with a little salt on them. My mother always said they were healthier that way. Was she right?

– RLL, via e-mail

ANSWER: Although not a common component in the American diet, the eating of raw potatoes has footing in some family traditions. There are some considerations and interesting science regarding eating them this way.

The potato plant produces a number of defensive (toxic) substances in the upper plant (leaves, stems and above-ground fruit), but they are not in the below-ground tubers, which are the “potatoes” we're familiar with. However, a potato (tuber) that's been injured, exposed to sunlight or stored for an extended period of time might begin to sprout or develop patches of green. The green is chlorophyll, produced by photosynthesis.

Chlorophyll is not toxic, but if photosynthesis has begun, it means that toxic alkaloids, such as solanine, will be also present. Green potatoes and especially potato sprouts, should never be eaten. Cooking does not deactivate these toxins.

The raw potato also contains antinutrients that act as enzyme (protease) inhibitors. This might be a consideration if you don't eat well and crunching on raw spuds is a regular part of your diet.

The August 2006 issue of the Journal of Food Science looked at three of the enzyme inhibitors found in raw potatoes and how they decreased during cooking. These substances tend to be in the peel, so you might consider removing the peel. You'll also lose some of the nutrients, but it's a reasonable trade.

Unlike cooked potatoes, some of the starch in raw potatoes is digested poorly. Called “resistant starch,” it passes through the small intestine into the large intestine, where it ends up being fermented by the flora that live there.

Similar to what happens when we eat legumes, this can result in increased fecal bulk, bloating and possibly some undesirable gastrointestinal effects. All this has a positive side in that the fermentation of resistant starches increases the production of butyrate, a fatty acid that is associated with favorable effects on diseases in the colon.
A study in the March 2009 issue of Gut reported how resistant starch had positive effects in colon cancer patients. Another benefit is that raw potatoes don't increase blood sugar like their cooked counterpart.

Interestingly, a study in the November 2005 issue of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported that if you chill a cooked potato, you regain some of this effect. (In that study, they served the chilled potatoes with a vinegar dressing.)

The bottom line is that if you want to eat raw potatoes, aside from peeling them, look for fresh, unblemished, unsprouted potatoes with no hint of green. If you have a choice, opt for potatoes that are grown organically.

There is a complete list of potato nutrients at tinyurl.com/dyerf5. This list represents the nutrients in the raw potato. Cooked potatoes have less vitamin C, thiamine and riboflavin. When eating cooked potatoes, include the skin if you can.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-08-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I found the thread that Key Tones started on potato hacking to be a really useful summary; that's given me my best understanding of the reasons for potato hacking. I'm trying to get my body to rely on endogenous fat as my main motivation. But it's not clear why my body is so darn resistent to weight loss, and maybe there are some gut dysbiosis or permeability issues behind that, so the gut healing is a secondary goal for me.

I love seeing the words "endogenous fat"; I hear all the time about "endogeneity problems" in discussions of research designs, at my job; economists (and sociologists and demographers, to a lesser extent) obsess about that sort of thing when selecting variables to include in models for hypothesis testing. I hadn't expected to find "endogenous" used in terms of health/diet issues, but the term certainly makes sense.

All I've read so far about eating raw potato was someone's observation that they had liked the taste ever since being a kid and eating a small raw potato the way others might eat a small apple.
Thanks. I read the thread and started today. I also am resistant to weight loss and like you, feel there are gut issues behind it all. I worked on healing leaky gut for many months last year and now I am going the probiotic route. I started with the Ultimate Flora for seniors and will report back on any developments.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 PM   #77
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
I have layed them on parchment paper, nuke 2-3 min - flip nuke 1-2 min (watch closely) until brownish in center. No oil. Crisp and delicious. Am trying garnet yams today on my stoneware. They are chewier, also delicious, like a sweet leather. Not sure if the texture diff is because of diff potato or diff surface.
Never knew I could make potato chips in the microwave. I used a silpat sheet and they were great. Although I must have cut them a little thick since I cooked for 4 minutes on both sides but they were brown and crispy. LOVED them. Will be on my DD potato menu OFTEN.

Thank you for the directions.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #78
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Thanks. I read the thread and started today. I also am resistant to weight loss and like you, feel there are gut issues behind it all. I worked on healing leaky gut for many months last year and now I am going the probiotic route. I started with the Ultimate Flora for seniors and will report back on any developments.
The udo one? I just started that one too. My gut is a mess and I am throwing everything I can at it.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Posting from phone may sometimes make you look a little spelling challenged, Cici, but you always look smart.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post

Oh, man, that is so frustrating. I'm really sorry, Blonde with a Rose. It's crazymaking to do all the right things and not lose and even more crazymaking to do all the right things and have the scale go up. Were you eating lowcarb before? If so, the 215 to 210 difference might just be that your body retains more water naturally when eating starches than when not doing so--so it's not actual fat gain, but water. Even if that's the case, I know if feels lousy. Do you have a plan? Cutting back starches or cutting back fat seem to be the two options, in terms of tweaking macronutrients. Or, alternatively, making your macronutrient be potatoes for a hack, as others have suggested.

Last edited by svenskamae; 03-08-2013 at 08:35 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #81
Major LCF Poster!

I bought 2 bottles of kombucha--raspberry ginger and cranberry ginger--today, drank them both, and fell in love with kombucha. Now why didn't I drink this for the last 50 years--the sad, deprived, kombuchaless years!

Refreshing, probiotic, tasty, tangy, and about 50 calories for a hefty bottleful--what could be better? I can see myself developing a major kombucha habit, right up there with my David's Tea habit.

BTW, today I learned that I cannot do starch hacks with rice. A few hours after eating a lunch of sushi (shrimp and salmon on rice), I was so desperately hungry that I practically inhaled some triple cream cheese, barely tasting it. I don't remember experiencing that sort of feed-me-now, I-can't-stand-it hunger for the past year, while eating low carb, and I hated the feeling. After an N =1 experiment, I've concluded that I can't handle rice. Now plain cold potatoes are another story--satiating but not very satisfying in terms of taste, for me anyway.

Last edited by svenskamae; 03-08-2013 at 08:45 PM..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I bought 2 bottles of kombucha--raspberry ginger and cranberry ginger--today, drank them both, and fell in love with kombucha. Now why didn't I drink this for the last 50 years--the sad, deprived, kombuchaless years!

Refreshing, probiotic, tasty, tangy, and about 50 calories for a hefty bottleful--what could be better? I can see myself developing a major kombucha habit, right up there with my David's Tea habit.

BTW, today I learned that I cannot do starch hacks with rice. A few hours after eating a lunch of sushi (shrimp and salmon on rice), I was so desperately hungry that I practically inhaled some triple cream cheese, barely tasting it. I don't remember experiencing that sort of feed-me-now, I-can't-stand-it hunger for the past year, while eating low carb, and I hated the feeling. After an N =1 experiment, I've concluded that I can't handle rice. Now plain cold potatoes are another story--satiating but not very satisfying in terms of taste, for me anyway.
Are you feeling bloated and gassy after two whole bottles? Yikes. i had to build up, 4 ounces at a time. My gut is not in good shape when it comes to flora however. I am addicted to the stuff- especially meyer lemon and ginger. At $3.50 a bottle or more, well.... that's why I brew my own now. It IS refreshing and I want to drink lots of bottles of it. But I can't drink it after noon or I don't get to sleep at night. It energizes me.
Good you learned about the impact rice has on you. I was reading that happens to other people too. Good thing you can eat potatoes and they are more nutritious. Another lesson learned!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

I'm feeling great after the kombucha, so far anyway. I hope that lasts.

Where did you get the recipe you use to brew your own kombucha, Beverly? Meyer lemon and ginger flavor sounds great.

I like your positive mindset of valuing lessons learned, instead of moping about being deprived of eating something in future. You're my role model for that good attitude!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm feeling great after the kombucha, so far anyway. I hope that lasts.

Where did you get the recipe you use to brew your own kombucha, Beverly? Meyer lemon and ginger flavor sounds great.

I like your positive mindset of valuing lessons learned, instead of moping about being deprived of eating something in future. You're my role model for that good attitude!

I got my SCOBY from online. I got my recipe from cultures for health. I got my lemon ginger recipe from smallfarm-- how to make fizzy kombucha. There is a huge thread about it on this forum and tons of recipes online. I got my water kefir grains from the same place I got the SCOBY. I am getting a craving for some right now!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Beverly! That's extremely helpful. I'm going to try making some myself--probably after I finish with a bunch of travelling for work and vacation, in May. And I'll be buying more kombucha regularly until then--starting with today!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, I am sorry. I have set points that my body likes to stabilize at for some reason? Not saying that is what it is, but it makes one wonder since it keeps trying to land there. In fact, I have read several times that it is usually a weight that we remained at for some period of time.

It is possible that your body is fighting something and that is why it isn't releasing weight? Dr. Jaminet speaks of this quite a bit. I am always slow and I feel that inflammation had to play a major role in my slow moving weight loss. You may find eating in a 8 hour window daily also helps. I notice a big difference with that too.

Sven & Bev, I love kombucha and will be attempting to make my own too. I am also falling in love with Coconut water & Kefir. Does anyone else drink this? I have been drinking one by KeVita that has 5 calories and is very refreshing.

They have another that I would like to try next called Mojita. They are all full of probiotics.

Quote:
Sassy and sweet, KeVita Mojita is a fresh new flavor with a hint of mint and a twist of lime. Experience a mojito mocktail with no added sugar and just ten calories per bottle. KeVita Mojita is a great way to enjoy this classic flavor. Every bottle is full of revitalizing flavor, probiotics and ocean minerals, minus the rum! KeVita Mojita is certified organic and non-GMO, low calorie, vegan, and dairy, lactose, and gluten free. Stevia sweetened. Contains no added sugar.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 03-09-2013 at 09:29 AM..
Old 03-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
just to let you guys know, my BTF mix makes a fantastic pizza. I have made it a couple of times now, and it is the best LC pizza ever.
Ouiz, can you tell me where this is? thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Same for me with rice, it seems to stimulate a need to feed!

Quote:
Oh, man, that is so frustrating. I'm really sorry, Blonde with a Rose. It's crazymaking to do all the right things and not lose and even more crazymaking to do all the right things and have the scale go up. Were you eating lowcarb before? If so, the 215 to 210 difference might just be that your body retains more water naturally when eating starches than when not doing so--so it's not actual fat gain, but water. Even if that's the case, I know if feels lousy. Do you have a plan? Cutting back starches or cutting back fat seem to be the two options, in terms of tweaking macronutrients. Or, alternatively, making your macronutrient be potatoes for a hack, as others have suggested.
I was doing NK in December but the water weight thing should be long past by now. I had a big drop after I was sick but then a big bounce that I can't seem to get past. I am considering a potato hack. I hate the hungry feeling and I'm starting to wonder if it's an emotional issue but it sure feels physical. Not sure what I'm going to do, thinking about low carb, thinking about ultra low fat/vegetarian, thinking about the 17 day diet...thinking a lot. Low carb is something I've never been able to sustain for very long...I did JUDDD for a year ans lost 40lbs...I'm still trying to get rid of the 20 I gained back with 15 more to go to get there. *SIGH*
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 03-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
The udo one? I just started that one too. My gut is a mess and I am throwing everything I can at it.
I think many of us have messed up guts. Just as a caution- remember the detox effect probiotics can have on your body- kombucha and fermented veges, and probiotic pills. (you said you were throwing everything you could at it, so that is why I am saying this). Now granted, I have a very messed up gut, but I took my second probiotic pill and broke out in a rash all over my neck and chest. I recognize it as the Herxheimer reaction, and I did a few epsom salt baths, took some charcoal capsules, extra milk thistle, lemon water and dry brushing, but it shows the status of my organs and their ability to handle the detox! I think my liver couldn't even handle that amount of die off. So slowly I go.... step by step, inch by inch... (anyone remember that from the Three Stooges?)
Old 03-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So slowly I go.... step by step, inch by inch... (anyone remember that from the Three Stooges?)
Oh yes, I remember that one! I think it goes...slowly I turn...step by step...inch by inch...

but I don't remember what comes after....I just remember it was funny. At first I thought it was from I Love Lucy.....?

Heavens, what is the Herxheimer reaction???