Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Okay, I am really outing myself as a product hound here, aren't I? Just eat whole foods, Joyce!!!

But yes, I have a chip recommendation for you and I believe you can purchase it online via the big A jungle superstore. Grandma Utz Potato Chips. Fried in lard. Huzzah!

Our FAVORITE was Gibbles, made locally and also fried in lard, but they seem to have disappeared in the last 3 months or so.

I tried "Honest Foods" chips (search online to order) and wanted to love them. Small company, organic potatoes, coconut oil. I found the heaviness of the oil etc overwhelming.

Can you tell I have a deep and abiding love for packaged foods? I just want them packaged with the right ingredients!
You crack me up Joyce. I hear you though. The convenience of packaged foods is great, but like you, I want it to be right. Thanks for the tip on the chips. Are they crispy chips like a kettle chip? I am going to look into them. I just can't make a chip I like at home. You could do a thread... Joyce's PHD compliant packaged foods...
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Can you tell I have a deep and abiding love for packaged foods? I just want them packaged with the right ingredients!
Here we are on the same thought process Joyce!

Bev, I finally broke down and purchased the one that you dl to your pc, by the tracker that has fit first. It does everything for you so that you can see your macros and micros. I am not obsessed though with tracking. I do it when I have free time and just as a check with myself on nutrition quantities.

Those tater chips sound so good. Has anyone made homemade chips? I have been thinking about it. I am crazy now about taters.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post

Bev, I finally broke down and purchased the one that you dl to your pc, by the tracker that has fit first. It does everything for you so that you can see your macros and micros. I am not obsessed though with tracking. I do it when I have free time and just as a check with myself on nutrition quantities.

Those tater chips sound so good. Has anyone made homemade chips? I have been thinking about it. I am crazy now about taters.
Thanks Sunday! Like you, I just want to check myself upon occasion.

I did try making chips. It just took too much oil and I was making them for one. I should try that TFal machine Oprah is so excited about that uses one Tbs of oil to make fries. It probably does chips too. No, I really just want a couple of bags of chips that I can buy. I like the portion control. I can go crazy with chips.
Imagine cooking your chips in a vat of fish oil!! LOL (see below)

Speaking of oils above, I thought I would share this chart. It is interesting to me.

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-06-2013 at 08:37 AM..
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
for anyone who has a trader joes near them, the smoked sardines in olive oil are freakin' DELICIOUS!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks, Ouizoid. I'll be going to a Trader Joe's when visiting my sister next week, and I'll stock up.

Chris Kresser has a post on "Is Starch a Beneficial Nutrient or a Toxin? You Be the Judge." It summarizes his arguments in a face-off between Paul Jaminet and himself versus Ron Rosedale and Kate Shanahan (the latter arguing for keeping carbs to 20-70 grams/day). Here's the part that interested me:

■There is no one-size-fits-all approach. The amount of starch (and carbohydrate in general) will depend upon genetic/epigenetic factors (like amylase production), existing health conditions and the volume and intensity of activity – among others.
■If the argument is that starch isn’t safe for those with impaired glucose tolerance, I concede that may be true in many cases. However, I’d like to point out that there’s some evidence that suggests starch may be safe in this population as well. For example, low-fat diets also cause fat loss (even without deliberate calorie restriction), though to a lesser extent than low-carb diets. And there are documented cases of people losing significant amounts of weight and improving metabolic parameters by eating nothing but potatoes. For example, Chris Voigt lost 21 pounds over the course of two months by eating only potatoes and not deliberately restricting calories. Furthermore, his fasting glucose decreased by 10 mg/dL (104 to 94 mg/dL), his serum triglycerides dropped by nearly 50%, his HDL cholesterol increased slightly, and his calculated LDL cholesterol dropped by a stunning 41% (142 to 84 mg/dL).

I take that as a general espousal of eating starches but an acknowledgement that this might not be so great for someone with impaired glucose tolerance/insulin resistence (like me), and a positive nod to potato hacking (which I'm taking a vacation from, today).

And in line with our recent discussions of probiotics, see Chris Kessler's post on "Poop: The Cure of the Future?" (on fecal transplants), which links to another post by him to "A healthy gut is the hidden key to weight loss." His prescriptions:
Remove all food toxins from the diet
Eat plenty of fermentable fibers (starches like sweet potato, yam)
Take a high-quality probiotic, of consider more radical methods of restoring healthy gut flora (links to Paul Jaminet post on fecal transplants and dissolving pathogenic bioflims, and ingesting berries, kale, ginger, vinegar, whey, and NAC)
Treat any intestinal pathogens such as parasites (must be tested for)
Take steps to manage stress

(There are links to some journal articles in the piece; Beverly, I don't know if these are the ones you linked to in an earlier post.)

Last edited by svenskamae; 03-06-2013 at 03:28 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Here's another Chris Kresser post I liked, on "Beyond Paleo: Moving from 'Paleo Diet' to 'Paleo Template."

Here's the main part, which implies that the mix of macros and foods to eat is something we all have to determin by experimentation:

What’s the difference? A Paleo diet implies a particular approach with clearly defined parameters that all people should follow. There’s little room for individual variation or experimentation.

A Paleo template implies a more flexible and individualized approach. A template contains a basic format or set of general guidelines that can then be customized based on the unique needs and experience of each person.

But here’s the key difference between a Paleo diet and a Paleo template: following a diet doesn’t encourage the participant to think, experiment or consider his or her specific circumstances, while following a template does.

In my 9 Steps to Perfect Health series, I attempted to define the general dietary guidelines that constitute the Paleo template:
■Don’t eat toxins: avoid industrial seed oils, improperly prepared cereal grains and legumes and excess sugar (especially fructose)
■Nourish your body: emphasize saturated and monounsaturated fat while reducing intake of polyunsaturated fat, favor glucose/starch over fructose, and favor ruminant animal protein and seafood over poultry
■Eat real food: eat grass-fed, organic meat and wild fish, and local, organic produce when possible. Avoid processed, refined and packaged food.

Within these guidelines, however, there’s a lot of room for individual differences. When people ask me whether dairy products are healthy, I always say “it depends”. I give the same answer when I’m asked about nightshades, caffeine, alcohol and carbohydrate intake.

The only way to figure out what an optimal diet is for you is to experiment and observe. The best way to do that is to remove the “grey area” foods you suspect you might have trouble with, like dairy, nightshades, eggs, etc. for a period of time (usually 30 days is sufficient), and add them back in one at a time and observe your reactions. This “30-day challenge” or elimination diet is what folks like Robb Wolf have recommended for a long time.

Last edited by svenskamae; 03-06-2013 at 03:28 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Are they crispy chips like a kettle chip? I am going to look into them. I just can't make a chip I like at home. You could do a thread... Joyce's PHD compliant packaged foods...
ha ha! I know, right? LOL The Grandma Utz chips are what I would call right in between a Lay's chip and a kettle chip. They are not nearly as crunchy as a kettle, but certainly not light and airy. Slight "oil" taste or heaviness. I miss my Gibbles!! But the Grandma Utz's are quite good. I think there's at least one more brand out there with olive oil but let me tell you, I have spent so much time in the Whole Foods chip aisle and it's not a pretty place for those avoiding seed oils.

Quote:

So funny! See below for homemade chip info! See, I'm not just ALL about the packaged foods. I will find ways to make "unhealthy" foods at home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Thanks Sunday! Like you, I just want to check myself upon occasion.

I did try making chips. It just took too much oil and I was making them for one. I should try that TFal machine Oprah is so excited about that uses one Tbs of oil to make fries. It probably does chips too. No, I really just want a couple of bags of chips that I can buy. I like the portion control. I can go crazy with chips.
Imagine cooking your chips in a vat of fish oil!! LOL (see below)
I make homemade potato chips for my picky daughter and she loves them. I also use the fryer for chicken wings and such. Here's how I made it all pretty primal.

I have an Emeril deep fryer. I read 100 reviews of deep fryers and pretty much none of them ranked five stars, but Emeril's was the best. You're able to drain it easily and put all of the parts sans heating element in the dishwasher so that's great. My first experiments with a cheapy Presto fryer from Target did not end well but the Emeril T-Fal is much bigger and easier to maintain.

For the oil, I also did my share of crazy obsessive researching. I use Spectrum non-hydrogenated palm shortening bought at Whole Foods or online. It costs about $21 to fill the fryer but I filter and reuse more times than I will admit on the interwebs. Everything I've read from Sisson to Wolf etc indicates that this is all okay. There's perhaps some concern about cooking at a high temp and the AGEs and all that jazz, but when I had my last fit of "am I killing myself?" a friend sent me a link to a Robb Wolf podcast where he said that, when using the highly saturated "good" oils, that this wasn't as much of a concern.

The final piece of the puzzle was a mandoline I bought on QVC. It seriously takes just a few minutes to peel a potato or two, slice it thin, and away we go.

I think with the Actifry it would be harder to get super thin potato slices to brown. Thicker ones probably would though!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

svenskamae, have you watched the video for the safe starch debate? It's pretty interesting, though not as productive as it could have been and with a few too many trying interjections from Dr. Rosedale (Hi, I'm Dr. Rosedale. I practically invented low carb. I also invented sliced bread . . . oh wait, that would be wrong . . . ).
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Thanks, Ouizoid. I'll be going to a Trader Joe's when visiting my sister next week, and I'll stock up.

Chris Kresser has a post on "Is Starch a Beneficial Nutrient or a Toxin? You Be the Judge." It summarizes his arguments in a face-off between Paul Jaminet and himself versus Ron Rosedale and Kate Shanahan (the latter arguing for keeping carbs to 20-70 grams/day). Here's the part that interested me:

■There is no one-size-fits-all approach. The amount of starch (and carbohydrate in general) will depend upon genetic/epigenetic factors (like amylase production), existing health conditions and the volume and intensity of activity – among others.
■If the argument is that starch isn’t safe for those with impaired glucose tolerance, I concede that may be true in many cases. However, I’d like to point out that there’s some evidence that suggests starch may be safe in this population as well. For example, low-fat diets also cause fat loss (even without deliberate calorie restriction), though to a lesser extent than low-carb diets. And there are documented cases of people losing significant amounts of weight and improving metabolic parameters by eating nothing but potatoes. For example, Chris Voigt lost 21 pounds over the course of two months by eating only potatoes and not deliberately restricting calories. Furthermore, his fasting glucose decreased by 10 mg/dL (104 to 94 mg/dL), his serum triglycerides dropped by nearly 50%, his HDL cholesterol increased slightly, and his calculated LDL cholesterol dropped by a stunning 41% (142 to 84 mg/dL).

I take that as a general espousal of eating starches but an acknowledgement that this might not be so great for someone with impaired glucose tolerance/insulin resistence (like me), and a positive nod to potato hacking (which I'm taking a vacation from, today).

And in line with our recent discussions of probiotics, see Chris Kessler's post on "Poop: The Cure of the Future?" (on fecal transplants), which links to another post by him to "A healthy gut is the hidden key to weight loss." His prescriptions:
Remove all food toxins from the diet
Eat plenty of fermentable fibers (starches like sweet potato, yam)
Take a high-quality probiotic, of consider more radical methods of restoring healthy gut flora (links to Paul Jaminet post on fecal transplants and dissolving pathogenic bioflims, and ingesting berries, kale, ginger, vinegar, whey, and NAC)
Treat any intestinal pathogens such as parasites (must be tested for)
Take steps to manage stress

(There are links to some journal articles in the piece; Beverly, I don't know if these are the ones you linked to in an earlier post.)
Ineresting post about the starches. I honestly don't know if they are okay for me or not. I find they make me feel full and I enjoy them, but don't know if my body likes them or not. I read the article about Poop yesterday. I really find the whole thing about gut flora, poop, and probiotics fascinating. I agree with Chris K that in the future we will see poop banks, like blood banks. I was interested in pursuing this now, but I belong to a California HMO and they frown upon anything like this.

Quote:
Here's another Chris Kresser post I liked, on "Beyond Paleo: Moving from 'Paleo Diet' to 'Paleo Template."

Here's the main part, which implies that the mix of macros and foods to eat is something we all have to determin by experimentation:

What’s the difference? A Paleo diet implies a particular approach with clearly defined parameters that all people should follow. There’s little room for individual variation or experimentation.

A Paleo template implies a more flexible and individualized approach. A template contains a basic format or set of general guidelines that can then be customized based on the unique needs and experience of each person.

But here’s the key difference between a Paleo diet and a Paleo template: following a diet doesn’t encourage the participant to think, experiment or consider his or her specific circumstances, while following a template does.

In my 9 Steps to Perfect Health series, I attempted to define the general dietary guidelines that constitute the Paleo template:
■Don’t eat toxins: avoid industrial seed oils, improperly prepared cereal grains and legumes and excess sugar (especially fructose)
■Nourish your body: emphasize saturated and monounsaturated fat while reducing intake of polyunsaturated fat, favor glucose/starch over fructose, and favor ruminant animal protein and seafood over poultry
■Eat real food: eat grass-fed, organic meat and wild fish, and local, organic produce when possible. Avoid processed, refined and packaged food.

Within these guidelines, however, there’s a lot of room for individual differences. When people ask me whether dairy products are healthy, I always say “it depends”. I give the same answer when I’m asked about nightshades, caffeine, alcohol and carbohydrate intake.

The only way to figure out what an optimal diet is for you is to experiment and observe. The best way to do that is to remove the “grey area” foods you suspect you might have trouble with, like dairy, nightshades, eggs, etc. for a period of time (usually 30 days is sufficient), and add them back in one at a time and observe your reactions. This “30-day challenge” or elimination diet is what folks like Robb Wolf have recommended for a long time.
There are folks like me who want an easy answer that is black and white. Alas, that just doesn't exist. I may have to do the 30 day challenges with a few foods and see how I do. I already know wheat is a huge issue. One down, a hundred to go....
Old 03-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
ha ha! I know, right? LOL The Grandma Utz chips are what I would call right in between a Lay's chip and a kettle chip. They are not nearly as crunchy as a kettle, but certainly not light and airy. Slight "oil" taste or heaviness. I miss my Gibbles!! But the Grandma Utz's are quite good. I think there's at least one more brand out there with olive oil but let me tell you, I have spent so much time in the Whole Foods chip aisle and it's not a pretty place for those avoiding seed oils.

So funny! See below for homemade chip info! See, I'm not just ALL about the packaged foods. I will find ways to make "unhealthy" foods at home too.

I make homemade potato chips for my picky daughter and she loves them. I also use the fryer for chicken wings and such. Here's how I made it all pretty primal.

I have an Emeril deep fryer. I read 100 reviews of deep fryers and pretty much none of them ranked five stars, but Emeril's was the best. You're able to drain it easily and put all of the parts sans heating element in the dishwasher so that's great. My first experiments with a cheapy Presto fryer from Target did not end well but the Emeril T-Fal is much bigger and easier to maintain.

For the oil, I also did my share of crazy obsessive researching. I use Spectrum non-hydrogenated palm shortening bought at Whole Foods or online. It costs about $21 to fill the fryer but I filter and reuse more times than I will admit on the interwebs. Everything I've read from Sisson to Wolf etc indicates that this is all okay. There's perhaps some concern about cooking at a high temp and the AGEs and all that jazz, but when I had my last fit of "am I killing myself?" a friend sent me a link to a Robb Wolf podcast where he said that, when using the highly saturated "good" oils, that this wasn't as much of a concern.

The final piece of the puzzle was a mandoline I bought on QVC. It seriously takes just a few minutes to peel a potato or two, slice it thin, and away we go.

I think with the Actifry it would be harder to get super thin potato slices to brown. Thicker ones probably would though!
You are actually tempting me to try this again! Ever try it with lard?
Old 03-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

I haven't tried it with lard yet--just didn't have a local source of lard from good piggies, but I think you can find it online. There's an online place with tallow but it's been sold out every time I check.

One time recently I bought duck fat at Whole Foods and made two batches of fries in that. Used a Le Creuset dutch oven because it was a small amount of fat. It was as delicious as I'd heard.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I haven't tried it with lard yet--just didn't have a local source of lard from good piggies, but I think you can find it online. There's an online place with tallow but it's been sold out every time I check.

One time recently I bought duck fat at Whole Foods and made two batches of fries in that. Used a Le Creuset dutch oven because it was a small amount of fat. It was as delicious as I'd heard.
What a GREAT idea on the duck fat. I have heard so much about duck fat fries. I am drooling! I want dinner at YOUR house!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Come on over! LOL!!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

I saved the fat from the top of my batch of bone broth made with duck wings. I don't think I'm going to use it to make fries, though. Any other more low-carb suggestions? Do I have to do anything more to the duck fat (render it, however one does that) before using it? My cooking knowledge doesn't extend to that, though I guess I can look it up. For now, it's sitting in a jar in my fridge.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
svenskamae, have you watched the video for the safe starch debate? It's pretty interesting, though not as productive as it could have been and with a few too many trying interjections from Dr. Rosedale (Hi, I'm Dr. Rosedale. I practically invented low carb. I also invented sliced bread . . . oh wait, that would be wrong . . . ).
Nope, I haven't seen it, Joyce. But I'll look for it on youtube. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:43 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I make chips in the microwave without oil. Have you tried it?
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:47 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, Do you lay the chips out on a plate and spritz with olive oil? I have done this, but did not do it in microwave, just oven. It was pretty good.

Sven, I believe I will try the 30 days w/out nightshades but think that I may have gone so long sans potato, that I am probably safe there. I have read (Ray Cronise) mention that in order to receive healing for the gut with "tater only" hack that we should do it for 2 weeks straight. I have yet to do that. He says that it is a reset that will not only help your metabolism, but also clear the gut. I will have to go back and find it.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I have layed them on parchment paper, nuke 2-3 min - flip nuke 1-2 min (watch closely) until brownish in center. No oil. Crisp and delicious. Am trying garnet yams today on my stoneware. They are chewier, also delicious, like a sweet leather. Not sure if the texture diff is because of diff potato or diff surface.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I have layed them on parchment paper, nuke 2-3 min - flip nuke 1-2 min (watch closely) until brownish in center. No oil. Crisp and delicious. Am trying garnet yams today on my stoneware. They are chewier, also delicious, like a sweet leather. Not sure if the texture diff is because of diff potato or diff surface.
that is how I do them too. who needs oil!!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cici, Do you lay the chips out on a plate and spritz with olive oil? I have done this, but did not do it in microwave, just oven. It was pretty good.

Sven, I believe I will try the 30 days w/out nightshades but think that I may have gone so long sans potato, that I am probably safe there. I have read (Ray Cronise) mention that in order to receive healing for the gut with "tater only" hack that we should do it for 2 weeks straight. I have yet to do that. He says that it is a reset that will not only help your metabolism, but also clear the gut. I will have to go back and find it.
Thanks, Beverly. If you find the Ray Cronise post on this, please link to it, if you can, or suggest how to pull it up using keywords on Google.

I just found a spot on my calendar to fit in 2 solid weeks of potatoes and lemon water only--April 13-26, right after I go to New Orleans for a conference and right before I go to NYC for a week's vacation with a friend, and before my CSA fresh vegetable deliveries start. I can't say that I'm looking forward to that, but I'm going to commit to it.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #51
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Thanks, Beverly. If you find the Ray Cronise post on this, please link to it, if you can, or suggest how to pull it up using keywords on Google.

I just found a spot on my calendar to fit in 2 solid weeks of potatoes and lemon water only--April 13-26, right after I go to New Orleans for a conference and right before I go to NYC for a week's vacation with a friend, and before my CSA fresh vegetable deliveries start. I can't say that I'm looking forward to that, but I'm going to commit to it.
I think you meant Sunday, but I had this paragraph in my potato notes. You have to join Ray's site and I didn't feel like doing it, but I see this paragraph has been quoted on MDA and other places.

Can you point me to some dietary advice for improving my Paleo diet? I’ve been Paleo for about 5 Months and have lost 35 lbs. Looking for an improvement to the slope.

Thanks,
Eric

admin says:
June 23, 2012 at 1:57 am
Increase greens – preferably without any fuel source. Limit meat and starch and increase fiber. This is not because we “are/aren’t designed to eat it,” but rather to encourage your body to rely on endogenous fat.

While there is probably some truth to the concept that eating excess dietary fats might result in an increase in fat metabolism, it’s not going to be greater than not ingesting it in the first place. It’s far easier to over consume fat, then starch (provided the two are not combined in a meal).

If you want to be radical and post big numbers, drop meat, butter, oils and any sugar and switch to only brown rice and/or potato for 14 days. Herbs snd spices are fine. You can eat as much as you want, but within a day or so you won’t want it anymore. Don’t eat because it’s “time,” but only whn hungry. Skipping meals is okay. Essentially you’ll reproduce the graph above. Any herb or species are fine, but remember no oils (I.e. fries, chips, etc…).

It will work – 100%. There are more foods that could be used, but this is dumb-simple. If you fail it’s because you cheated. Suffice it to say no liquid calories of any kind.
Ray.

From a person named Otzi who got the idea from Ray-

Another reason this works, is that the micro flora in your gut responds very well to simple starch. It responds very well to the easily digested potato and it's signaling is vastly improved. I start getting gassy about day 3 and it goes away by about day 6. If you peel the potatoes this won't happen as badly, this happens because there are undigestable enzymes in the peelings that are dealt with in the large intestine in a gas-producing way.
Let me know how you do. I’ve reproduced it so many times, I know it will work.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Oops, sorry to respond to Beverly when I meant to respond to Sunday, but thank you, Beverly, for giving me exactly the information I wanted. I'll be trying that potato only hack from April 13 to April 26. For now, I'm taking a break from potatoes. Sardines and poached eggs tasted wonderfully decadent today, after my recent potato stint.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Oops, sorry to respond to Beverly when I meant to respond to Sunday, but thank you, Beverly, for giving me exactly the information I wanted. I'll be trying that potato only hack from April 13 to April 26. For now, I'm taking a break from potatoes. Sardines and poached eggs tasted wonderfully decadent today, after my recent potato stint.
You have a busy upcoming schedule! I am really tempted to try it but doubt I could do the full 14 days.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So sorry Sven. I have been trying to wrap up my work and meant to come back here. Yes, you do have to sign up to get onto his site, but it is very informational. Bev quoted most of it, he had a whole group of fans doing the tater fast and the 14 day fast was specific for a reset. I will probably do another one as well. I am praying that I can last that long.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

No problem, Sunday. Maybe we can cheer each other on during our attempts at extended potato hacks. I am sure that I could eat some kinds of foods--such as plain Greek yogurt or eggs plus some fat--as my only food for 2 weeks without much difficulty. But cold potatoes ... much harder to take. But I'll give it a try for 2 weeks in April. I hope it's warm enough by then that I can drink iced tea; I don't feel deprived drinking that without adding half and half or cream, but I do with hot tea.
Old 03-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tatertot posted the below link on PHD and I find it very interesting. Who knew that RS protects our gut?

Resistant starch may offer potential to help protect against bowel cancer | CSIRO
Old 03-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
No problem, Sunday. Maybe we can cheer each other on during our attempts at extended potato hacks. I am sure that I could eat some kinds of foods--such as plain Greek yogurt or eggs plus some fat--as my only food for 2 weeks without much difficulty. But cold potatoes ... much harder to take. But I'll give it a try for 2 weeks in April. I hope it's warm enough by then that I can drink iced tea; I don't feel deprived drinking that without adding half and half or cream, but I do with hot tea.
I will have to start on April 14, but I like these dates.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I will have to start on April 14, but I like these dates.
That would be great, Sunday! I know that doing it as the same time as you would strengthen my resolve to stay on the 2-week potato plan!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Tatertot posted the below link on PHD and I find it very interesting. Who knew that RS protects our gut?

Resistant starch may offer potential to help protect against bowel cancer | CSIRO
I started using the hi-maize some time ago because of the possibility of it protecting against bowel cancer due to my disease. I get mine from Honey ville and I even put it in my smoothies. I use it in my bread mix- rice flour, tapioca flour and resistant starch. It is so good.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:06 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Do they have to be cold? Seems TaterTot baked his and also shredded and dry fried his. Just seems more tolerable for 14 days not to have to eat them all cold. Brrrrr.....