Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Liquid Amino Diet Support Forum (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/796201-liquid-amino-diet-support-forum.html)

cheftrish 02-03-2013 03:56 PM

Liquid Amino Diet Support Forum

Just started Liquid Amino Diet, looking for support with others who are starting or have had success on this WOE/WOL. I will answer any questions I can with my limited knowledge, and would love feedback from any who are also on this journey.

cheftrish 02-03-2013 04:10 PM

First of all, to make things clear this diet is not a "liquid diet" but does entail you taking amino supplements in a liquid form three times a day.
It does consist of a low calorie, low glycemic index way of eating. You are allowed 1000 calories with no exercise, and up to 1500 if you exercise heavily (60 minutes)

You are allowed 5 portions of healthy proteins ( 5 oz of chicken, wild caught fish, steak, 98% fat free ground beef, protein powder-1 scoop, even 1/2 cup of beans- NO PORK PRODUCTS)
4 1-2 cup portions of healthy vegetables (no corn or potatoes, or peas)
2 serving of fruit (1 apple, 1 orange, 10 strawberries or other berries, 1 cup cherries etc.) that must be eaten with your protein.
1 healthy fat (flaxseed oil, olive oil, or coconut oil or two eggs)
No dairy except cottage cheese which is used for recipes or on it's own (counts as a protein) 3/4 cup is a serving of cottage cheese
you must drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces in water or seltzer or decaf teas
no artificial sweeteners-except stevia (I would rather have none).
You may drink coffee and tea with caffeine, but may not count that toward your liquid requirement.
You are not to eat after your last meal of the day, it must be eaten 2 hours before retiring for bed.

cheftrish 02-03-2013 04:18 PM

My day so far:

Breakfast:
2 eggs
1 cup spinach and Mushrooms

Snack:
3/4 cup cottage cheese
cucumber
10 small strawberries

Lunch:
5 oz chicken breast
Lettuce (a "free food- may be eaten in any quantity)
fresh salsa with onion, garlic and peppers tomatoes - 1/4 cup
Cucumber
1 cup spinach- fresh

snack
Protein shake with 1/2 cup mixed berries frozen -1 scoop protein powder, 16 oz water and ice blended

Dinner
lettuce and tomatoes, cuke
5 oz wild cod with lemon and pepper and mustard sauce.

jeaniem 02-03-2013 05:50 PM

The liquid aminos are a supplement to the diet?

sunday 02-03-2013 06:58 PM

Wishing for great success for you!

I have known a few that did this with good results. :)

cheftrish 02-03-2013 08:13 PM

Thanks!! Day Two is done! I'll post my results for the week on Saturday :)

cheftrish 02-04-2013 05:37 AM

Sunday, are there any other Liquid Amino Support threads on this board? I looked everywhere, but could only find the HCG diet. I didn't think that 500 cal/day sounded healthy, and taking hormones scared me. The more moderate 1000-1500 seemed more healthy, and the drops are just amino acids so that seemed like something I could stick with.
I think I might be the "guinea pig" on this board with this woe...;)

Jeanie, I think I messaged you back? Did you get it? I have so much trouble with all things technical:)

cheftrish 02-04-2013 06:13 AM

Protein Powder/Workout Dilemma

Good Morning!!!

So here is my dilemma.:help:

On this WOE they require you to have Protein Shakes on the days you work out, as well as a piece of fruit before you workout. Not a problem, except they expect you to work out EARLY in the AM like around 7am. The protein shake are not supposed to have any sugars in it, no sucralose etc. because you are supposed to be detoxing from all sugars. My protein shakes do contain sucralose...what to do? Does anyone know of any protein shakes without these sweeteners? And where can I buy them? also, I am supposed to have an apple (or other fruit) before I workout, and before breakfast...I really want to succeed, but don't see how switching the time of day I have an apple and protein shake can matter IF I workout later in the day? :dunno:

On the upside, I am sleeping better, and wakiing up without the morning fuzzies for the last two days...

sunday 02-04-2013 06:23 AM

Hopefully, others will come along that have done this plan.

I believe as long as you have 0 carbs, you will be fine, but whey isolate should be a good protein. You could check out their forum on FB? I knew a whole group of women from church who did this plan. It reminds me of Hcg, but with more calories.

I wouldn't think it would be necessary to eat an apple before working out? I work out in fasted state and many people do with no issues. :dunno:

cheftrish 02-04-2013 12:53 PM

Answers

So I called the support help line and got some good info. The protein shakes should have no more than 4 carbs and 100 calories per scoop. It is okay to have the one I use, but if I notice a stall to switch to one with no sucralose.

Meals today

pre work out: snack

Protein shake

2 scoops whey protein powder -extra scoop for workout
1 cup frozen berries

Breakfast: Bigger today because of intense workout

2 eggs
1 cup mushrooms and tomatoes
1 tbs cottage cheese

lunch:

1 can solid white albacore
2 cups spinach
1/2 cup cuke
1/2 cup tomato
mustard dressin 1 tbs dijon, 1 tbs braggs acv, 1 pinch stevia (I broke down and got some)

So what they told me was I was to have the protein shake after the workout, and I should have had the breakfast before...I was a little confused by their insistance on having fruit before the workout...I will figure this out:laugh:

cheftrish 02-05-2013 08:20 AM

Last nights meal:

"Fish tacos"

5 oz haddock sauteed with chipotle seasoning
1 cup cabbagge sauteed with chipotle (water not oil used to wilt a little)
salsa, 1/4 cup
1 tbs cottage cheese with onion, garlic, green chili and chipotle seasoning pureed in food processor
lettuce to wrap it all in.

Very yummy.

Crashed about 8 pm, I think the workout really wiped me out. I was working out with a friend who is training for a power lifting contest!!

Since prior planning helps prevent ppp.. Here is my menu for today ;)
Gym today: Pre-workout snack:
I ate 10 small strawberries BEFORE working out.

Breakfast:
protein shake blended with 1 cup frozen berrries

Snack:
3/4 cup eggs beaters
1 cup mushrooms and spinach - 1 tbs cottage cheese
1/2 tbs olive oil to cook with

Lunch
5oz chicken
1 cup spinach
lettuce
1/2 cup tomatoes and cuke
mustard dressing 1/TBS dijon, 1TBS ACV, 1/2 tsp stevia

Snack:
3/4 cup cottage cheese
1 small apple

Dinner:Fish tacos again! It was so good last night!!! :)

jeaniem 02-05-2013 04:22 PM

Trish
What condiments are allowed? Exercise under 60 mins means no change in menu right? Thanks

cheftrish 02-05-2013 05:20 PM

You can have mustard- dijon with no sugar. On their site they have a recipe for katsup with no sugar, sweetened with stevia and red peppers. You are allowed salsa as long as it has no sugar. No mayonaise. Though i want to check that because you could easily make that with olive oil vinegar and egg- I think for mayo it is the calorie content. Use condiments sparingly and count the calories.

It says do not change your calorie intake for workouts under 60 minutes. I do a bootcamp class that is weights and cardio that lasts 45-50 minutes. Technically that is a zone 3 workout which they say you should increase your calorie intake. So I want to double check on that...So happy to see you here! WELCOME! We're in this together!

cheftrish 02-06-2013 09:38 AM

Starting Day 5, and I have to say this has been the hardest day so far?!
I am starving. Until today I really haven't been hungry at all, except for when I realized I had forgotten to eat a meal...Not sure why this would be the case.

Also feeling a little low..I haven't weighed myself since starting I promised myself I would obsess over the whole weight thing since my goal is to be healthier overall, but I still feel fat...and hungry! I'm going to push through this, I have a lot of weight to lose and can't give up!:aprayer: That I can make it through the day with a more positive attitude.

jeaniem 02-06-2013 03:30 PM

How did your day go Trish? I think I am going to try South Beach instead after looking more closely at what a day's menu would look like I can tell it would be too strict for me to adhere to for any length of time. I am going to continue with the aminos though as I feel they are good for us nutritionally and the braggs is tasty too.

cheftrish 02-06-2013 07:34 PM

I did South Beach with good success about 5 years ago...I just need to lose weight more quickly. You can still post here if you want. I plan to go more to something like a South Beach for maintenance. I think my favorite meal on South Beach was the grilled portabellos with goat cheese and marinara sauce! Ooh, and the pistachio crusted chicken was also good. You can also use some of Suzanne Somers recipes with south beach. One of my favorites of hers was a sauteed chicken breast with goat cheese and balsamic reduction...gosh...my mouth is watering just thinking about it!!:yummy:

cheftrish 02-06-2013 07:41 PM

Well, it's the end of the day and I made it through...even got a walk in. This is going to be hard, no joke! We had guests over tonight and I made a pork stew with tomatillos and polenta cakes and apple pie for dessert...of course I had fish and blueberries...not so bad, but not quite the same! I need to look at their recipes so I can make food for all of us. What's difficult is that my husband has cancer, just finished chemo and he needs to gain weight! Of course the stress of all that is what made me gain so much weight. I was just on a carb binge for the last three months. So now we both need to rebuild our bodies in different ways!

cheftrish 02-07-2013 08:56 AM

Day 6! Here I come! Just got back from the gym, 30 weights and 30 elliptical.

breakfast
1 scoop natural edge choclate protein shake
1 cup blueberries

post workout snack
1 scoop shake mix

lunch - in about 30 minutes

2 eggs
spinach1 cup
tomato 1/2 med
mushrooms1/2 cup
1 cup blueberries- yum

jeaniem 02-07-2013 11:05 AM

Good for you Trish! Sorry to hear DH has cancer, hope he goes into full remission:hugs:

I have just been taking the aminos and eating high protein for now, can't seem to expend the energy to follow a specific plan right now. But I am feeling better and not overeating so I am content for the moment.

cheftrish 02-07-2013 03:44 PM

Thanks Jeanie, It's going to be a longer road than we thought with the cancer. But one day at a time!
Which brings me to the fact I think it takes time to really "psych" yourself up for a diet. starting small is probably the best way. There was a "diet" a few years back called "change one thing" and it encouraged you to change one thing per week. Changing everything drastically can backfire. Maybe this week you take the aminos and eat higher protein, the next week cut out the refined carbs, next week incorporate more exercise etc... It helps me to journal. I've been journaling a lot these past few days!!! LOL!

jeaniem 02-07-2013 03:53 PM

Trish
Do you have a Bed & Breakfast?

cheftrish 02-08-2013 06:40 AM

Hi Jeanie, No, but that is a dream I have. Although DH says I don't want to own one, just want to stay in one!:lol:
I am a caterer. I used to be a teacher (still take on some classes at a local CC ) but about 6 years ago I quit my job and went to culinary school (midlife crisis!)...and gained 45 lbs!!! The first 10 at culinary school and the rest after I hurt my back working in a restaurant and the last 15 after dh's diagnoses in October. I have been catering for 4 years. I love it, but think I really like seeing the whole thing come together. I have done a few weddings where I also did the decorations for the reception and I really love that creative outlet. It means I have to hire people to cook, and I oversee it all. I was supposed to be catering a dinner for 30 tonight, but it was cancelled due to this HUGE storm we are getting! I'm on the fence about how I feel about that. It means I don't get tortured with the food I was going to prepare (although I have 40 panna cotta in my fridge I had prepped), but I lose the business....sigh.

I wasn't going to weigh myself until tomorrow, but I am down 3lbs since starting on Saturday. Not quite the .5-1lb loss per day they were promising, but there's still tomorrow. Also, I can't drink coffee black so I have been using soy silk which is a no-no. Trying it black today... I think I need a better coffee if I'm going to do that, like Peets.

jeaniem 02-08-2013 12:03 PM

I never stayed in a B & B until last year while on vacation, absolutely loved it! Much more homey and personal compared to a hotel. I think a 3 lb. loss is good! I would think that if you are allowed cottage cheese a little cream in your coffee would be ok? I would just decrease the amount of cottage cheese to account for the cream.

cheftrish 02-08-2013 08:02 PM

That's a good idea about the cottage cheese. A B&B is definitely a treat! We started renting houses when we go on vacation, I've found it's cheaper and more comfortable when we're traveling with kids.

cheftrish 02-09-2013 08:29 AM

So lost another .6 lb as of today, for a total of 3.6 for a week. Not bad. The diet is getting more doable the longer I do it. Last night I had to force myself to eat dinner, had a protein shake instead since I couldn't face more food! I am eating every 2-3 hours on this diet!

On another note we are SNOWED IN! spent most of the morning shoveling out, and as I type this the street plow just plowed in our driveway...again...sigh. But that's some good exercise! I have chickens and I had to dig the poor girls coop out. they are a little flustered by all the snow. My yard, looks like a maze with all the paths we have had to dig. One to the chicken coop, another to the grill, another to the kids bus stop. I would say we got at least 24 inches of snow! Driving ban in effect. No one is going anywhere anytime soon. Thankful we still have power since at least 400k are without in our state.

cheftrish 02-09-2013 08:36 AM

Yesterdays Menu:

Breakfast:

1 cup blueberries
Omlet
1 Egg
1/2 cup eggbeater
1/2 cup spinach
1/2 cup mushrooms
1TBS Cottage cheese

Snack:
Protein Shake

Lunch:
1 can solid white albacore tuna
5 cherry tomatoes
1 cup spinach
2 cups lettuce
2 celery sticks sliced up
Tossed in 2 tsp dijon mustar
2 tsp Braggs ACV

Snack

3/4 cup cottage cheese tossed with
2 cups lettuce
1/2 cup spinach
1 small cucumber
tossed with dijon and ACV

Dinner
Protein Shake
7 small strawberries

I have been drinking 1/2 my body weight in oz of water (seltzer and decaf tea mostly) and that is a lot!!! :)

Total calories for the day 1056

jeaniem 02-09-2013 10:53 AM

You're doing great Trish:high5: We don't often get big snows here in MD, but in 2010 we got like 36 inches one day, and then 3 days later got another 2 ft. It was miserable! I am doing pretty good losing a little each day but am getting headaches, not sure what may be causing that.

cici52 02-09-2013 11:11 AM

Hi, Jeanie. Was missing you on the other thread so came looking. Glad to see you are alive and kicking.

jeaniem 02-09-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cici52 (Post 16249757)
Hi, Jeanie. Was missing you on the other thread so came looking. Glad to see you are alive and kicking.

Hi cici! Just posted over there.:)

cheftrish 02-09-2013 12:22 PM

Jeanie, are you drinking enough water? Hace you cut out caffeine? You aren't doing the uber-low cal diet, but if you are cutting out sugar/caffeine that could be the cause of your headaches. Or it could be a change in barometric pressure too, that always sets off headaches for me! Hopefully it will resolve soon!
I think the year you got 2ft of snow we got nothing! We haven't had this much snow in 2-3 years!