Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
THE 8 HOUR DIET

I'm hoping by starting a new thread I can get others who are interested or doing this diet to come in and join me.

I am finding I feel great eating this way, it is controlling my binge eating like nothing else ever has, and I have lots of energy.

Also, I find it super easy for the reason I can move my 8 hour window around to different start times to accommodate occasions or work in my life without "blowing" the diet. If I need to eat a late dinner I just start my eating later in the day. If I have a breakfast date with a friend I can do that too and just stop eating earlier that day. It is SO doable!!

Hope others join me soon!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kpateee123
Stats: Was 170 now 163 goal 140
WOE: Just low carb in general
Start Date: January 1st 2013
So how exactly does the diet work? Like food etc?
Kpateee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
looking for 174 by the 26th.

I would love to join you...I am in!!!

Started this woe on
January 14 =177
January 15 =176
January 16 =177
January 17 =176
January 18 =175
January 19 =175
January 20 =176 Birthday Party...too much salt
January 21 =177
January 22 =176 getting serious today..
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

The 8 Hour Diet (google this) is a IF kind of eating and is based on the principle that we can eat what we want within an 8 hour time period everyday, and then we will fast for 16 hours giving our body the ability to use the stored fat as energy instead of food.

There are no food limits but it is advised to eat healthy and try to get in at least 8 of the power foods a day. It is recommended that you eat a Fat Buster with a Health Booster, together. The list of the power foods are as follows:

The Fat Buster:

Turkey, Eggs and Lean Meats
Walnuts and Other Nuts
Yogurt And Other Dairy
Beans, Peanuts, and other Legumes

The Health Boosters:

Berries
Oranges, Apples, Other Fruit like melons, etc.
Green Leafy Veggies
Whole Grain Products

Refined carbs such as sugar, rice, pasta and white bread should be limited but are not restricted. Nothing is truly restricted as far as food goes, it only the time you can eat.

Get 8 minutes of exercise of any kind in before you eat your first meal of the day. More if you want, but 8 is what is recommended at the least.

And this diet can be done a minimum of 3 days and a maximum of 7 days. It is written with the understanding that life happens and sometimes we just can't eat within an 8 hour window.

That is it in a nut shell but there is more info online. I am finding this VERY easy and even though my losses are slow, I'm still losing. I find my night time binge eating almost gone, I'm sleeping better and have lots of energy, too. I open my window somewhere around 1 and then stop 8 hours later, around 9. This works very well for me because I don't like breakfast anyway and I enjoy a snack before bedtime. BUT, your window can be any time with an 8 hour span. Start at 6 am and end at 2 pm if that works for you.

It's very flexible and I love the fact I can have the foods I love, there is no calorie counting or measuring and no restrictions of calories. I have learned it's NOT a free for all with food and that I still have to watch my portions but other than that this way of eating is freeing me from thinking about food all the time or if I have enough calories for a snack, can I eat this or that, or I can't have this because it's too calorie dense or restricted for the day. And I'm finding that I'm eating just to feed myself and not be hungry and not because food is the only thing I think about; can I have this, can't have that, don't eat too many calories today, etc. My thoughts about eating have changed so much so far I'm just amazed!

As in any diet this may not be for everyone but for me it's working like a charm in some many areas of my life!!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-22-2013 at 08:50 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimlizzie View Post
I would love to join you...I am in!!!

Started this woe on
January 14 =177
January 15 =176
January 16 =177
January 17 =176
January 18 =175
January 19 =175
January 20 =176 Birthday Party...too much salt
January 21 =177
January 22 =176 getting serious today..
HURRAY! Nice to have you aboard!! I am looking at your stats and that is how mine started out, bouncing up and down. I almost stopped doing the diet but now that I'm on my second week I am losing steady. Not a whole bunch, but any loss is a good loss everyday!!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-22-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
HURRAY! Nice to have you aboard!! I am looking at your stats and that is how mine started out, bouncing up and down. I almost stopped doing the diet but now that I'm on my second week I am losing steady. Not a whole bunch, but any loss is a good loss everyday!!
Thank you so much for the encouragement!!!

By the way I am on the right in my picture..
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
This sounds good but I usually eat 3 meals a day and I am not a fan of turkey. I eat at 7am, 11:45am, and depending on when I get home from work/gym, it is at 6:45pm/7pm. How would one work this in?
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
This sounds good but I usually eat 3 meals a day and I am not a fan of turkey. I eat at 7am, 11:45am, and depending on when I get home from work/gym, it is at 6:45pm/7pm. How would one work this in?
Not every plan is for everyone. The eating window is any 8 hour window. If you start to eat at 7 your window would close at 3pm which maybe would not work for you. I am managing to eat everything I want in my 8 hours and feel full and satisfied, too and often times it comes out to 3 meals/2 snacks.

And as far as turkey those are ONLY suggestions, any lean meat is good. AND that doesn't mean you have to eat only lean meat. Eating whatever foods is up to you. The suggestions are to maximize the diet and it's health benefits, not a to be a food restriction diet at all.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
LJB

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
Quote:
Not every plan is for everyone. The eating window is any 8 hour window. If you start to eat at 7 your window would close at 3pm which maybe would not work for you. I am managing to eat everything I want in my 8 hours and feel full and satisfied, too and often times it comes out to 3 meals/2 snacks.

And as far as turkey those are ONLY suggestions, any lean meat is good. AND that doesn't mean you have to eat only lean meat. Eating whatever foods is up to you. The suggestions are to maximize the diet and it's health benefits, not a to be a food restriction diet at all.
Thanks!

How are your energy levels?
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB View Post
Thanks!

How are your energy levels?
I feel AMAZING!! Just as good as I felt when I was doing JUDDD!! This is a good thing because I really loved JUDDD for how wonderful it made me feel and now I can feel this way again!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
I am doing this but in a low carb kind of way. I open my eating window between noon and 2pm, and try to close it by 8pm. I don't mind skipping breakfast but get very hungry by about 11am
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #12

Coffee is my savior toward the last hour when my window is suppose to open. And I do add a bit of cream to it. The book says that if that is how you usually take your coffee (I do) then by all means still do it that way. The trick is to make this WOE doable.

After that cup of coffee about an hour before I'm opening that window I'm finding I can actually push it almost another half hour if I want. Monday night I stopped eating at 6:30 and didn't eat anything today until 1:30 even though my window opens at 1:00. That was a 19 hour fast! It was not intentional at all, just happened that way!

I'll take it....not being hungry and thinking about food is a good thing for me!!
Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Beeb, I'm following this with great curiosity. I feel great doing a five or six hour window, and I feel great doing JUDDD. I struggle to do both (and share some of your issues with JUDDD), and am trying to find the perfect blend.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience here.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #14

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
I'm subscribing. I love to read all I can about intermittent fasting. I'm working through the best intermittent fasting technique for me right now. My goal is to keep it simple and to have freedom in my eating choices. My window this week is 11-7. Next week, it could be 10:30-6:30. We'll see. I'm figuring it out and that means making adjustments to make it as seamless as it can be for me.

I eat many of the healthy foods on his list, but I don't want to have to account for them or say "I ate my 8!" I am also starting to exercise in the mornings. I've done it twice now, and it really put me into a good mood for my entire day. If it helps me reach my goal, even better!

You'll also see me on the CAD thread and the intermittent fasting general thread.

Have a great day all!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Skinny Panda
Stats: Then:230+?/132/135 Now:175/175/135 Ht 5'8
WOE: Then:1972 Atkins Now:????
Start Date: Feb 22nd 2006/November 2014
I am starting to do this as well! Just read about it in Women's Health Magazine.
I tried JUDDD and really like the concept and it worked for me for small while, but then I just couldn't control it, the up days the down days fitting into my lifestyle, and then my binge eating reared it's ugly head and I went way beyond my restraints!
I will be staying low carb (or what most people consider low carb) while trying this out, but it makes a lot of sense to me. I generally need to eat low carb to maintain my sanity..........
Today is really my "first" day though. My 8 hours will probably be 12-8 for the most part, with a possible change up on Sunday if we happen to go for breakfast/brunch.
I love that it seem so easy!
Skinny Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I am so hungry today!

Quote:
Coffee is my savior toward the last hour when my window is suppose to open. And I do add a bit of cream to it. The book says that if that is how you usually take your coffee (I do) then by all means still do it that way. The trick is to make this WOE doable.

After that cup of coffee about an hour before I'm opening that window I'm finding I can actually push it almost another half hour if I want. Monday night I stopped eating at 6:30 and didn't eat anything today until 1:30 even though my window opens at 1:00. That was a 19 hour fast! It was not intentional at all, just happened that way!

I'll take it....not being hungry and thinking about food is a good thing for me!!
Beeb I drink coffee when I get up..still no real loss for me. I think I need to tweek my time..maybe stop at 6 instead of 8. Did you lose when you lenghtend your fast?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #17

Good morning!

I am going to set an eight hour window for today--10:30-6:30. I've been hungry in the mornings, and I think it's because of pushing my window too far over the weekend. Got to make sure to stay nourished, or my body and brain will rebel against any weight loss.

I got up this morning and exercised for thirty minutes. I like working out first thing because it helps wake me up and makes me feel calmer throughout the day. I've never worked out in the mornings, so we'll see if this helps with my slow but steady weight loss.

I've also figured out that I need to make sure I have sufficient protein at dinner to keep me full in the mornings before I start fasting. When I eat a dinner that is light in protein, I tend to get hungrier faster in the mornings. Also, when I do open my window, I need to make sure that I am eating enough protein and fat to keep me satisfied. I had a really hungry day yesterday, and I think it was due to poor eating choices that never really filled me up.

I know to make this sustainable that I have to eat enough food to keep me satisfied!

Have a wonderful day, everyone!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
I'm trying to do this along with JUDDD but yesterday it was a complete failure late in the day.
I think my mind got the better of me!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: renedlb
Hello there

Ok trying to follow this.

If my meals start at 12 and go to 7 thats my 8 Hour window.

So would this menu be okay

B two eggs and grapes

S greek yogurt,hwc and blueberries

L tuna, whole wheat sandwich thin, walnuts

D Small romaine salad, chicken grilled breast and aspargus
renedlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by renedlb View Post
Ok trying to follow this.

If my meals start at 12 and go to 7 thats my 8 Hour window.

So would this menu be okay

B two eggs and grapes

S greek yogurt,hwc and blueberries

L tuna, whole wheat sandwich thin, walnuts

D Small romaine salad, chicken grilled breast and aspargus
Sounds good to me!! Protein, veggies, good stuff! I'm coming over to your house to eat!!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-24-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: renedlb
LOL

LOL Come on over.

Thanks for checking me out. I thought it looked okay
renedlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottie View Post
I'm trying to do this along with JUDDD but yesterday it was a complete failure late in the day.
I think my mind got the better of me!
I know what you mean! My mind is getting the better of me, too and it's winning!! I think it's the cold and boredom for me. I live in an adult community with a zillion things to do, yet I sit at the computer most days! Time for a change!!

To be honest with all of you I am stopping this WOE for now. I have a TERRIBLE eating disorder right now and it needs to be addressed before I can do any kind of diet. I want to stay and see how you all do, though and cheer you on if I can. So sorry for starting a thread I can't be a part of right now but I hope it works out very well for all of you here and those coming on board!

Last edited by Beeb; 01-24-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Old 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by renedlb View Post
LOL Come on over.

Thanks for checking me out. I thought it looked okay
Old 01-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #24

Rene, your 8 hour window would be 12-8.

(Of course, a shorter window is fine as well.)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimlizzie View Post
Beeb I drink coffee when I get up..still no real loss for me. I think I need to tweek my time..maybe stop at 6 instead of 8. Did you lose when you lenghtend your fast?
Lizzie, please read my post #22......
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #26

Gallery: jiggles
Hmm, this is interesting. I'm going to have to look into this more.

I've tried JUDDD and did well the very first time around but let myself fall off the wagon and now I can't stick to it. The 500 calorie down days are so tough now. Maybe this 8 hour window would work better for me.
jiggles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #27
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Well, day 2 and so far this has been easy for me. I don't usually get hungry in the mornings anyway and never eat breakfast before work, so I set my window 12-8. The only time I eat "breakfast" is on weekends and it may be bacon & eggs, but we don't eat it until 11:00 or 12:00.

I also did JUDDD and I tended to get carried away with UDs. I believe in IFing though and so far this has been a painless way to do it.

I haven't read the book (just know what I have read here, thanks!) and so far all I have implemented is the eating window. I just had surgery on my foot, but when I could exercise I usually did it fasted in the morning so that shouldn't be too tough.

Great stuff & certainly worth a go.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
I know what you mean! My mind is getting the better of me, too and it's winning!! I think it's the cold and boredom for me. I live in an adult community with a zillion things to do, yet I sit at the computer most days! Time for a change!!

To be honest with all of you I am stopping this WOE for now. I have a TERRIBLE eating disorder right now and it needs to be addressed before I can do any kind of diet. I want to stay and see how you all do, though and cheer you on if I can. So sorry for starting a thread I can't be a part of right now but I hope it works out very well for all of you here and those coming on board!
I appreciate you starting the thread and sharing the information. You gave it a shot, but every plan isn't for everybody. I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evilmarketeer
Stats: 16/12/10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
I'm in! Too bad Beeb is already out -- I just discovered this thread.

I have been doing this for a week and a half. I'm doing an 8-hour eating window from 12-8, but not following the book. I'm just eating low-carb during the window.

So far, things have been going very well. I feel great, and I think I'm eating significantly less overall. I don't weigh myself, but I have been stalled for 1.5 years and I think I am finally losing weight again. My pants are getting loose.

I was afraid of the idea of fasting at first, but I decided to try it for a couple of reasons:
1. I've been wanting to try nutritional ketosis (lower protein + low carb) for some time in order to break my stall, but I don't want to have to count calories, keep food logs, test my blood, etc. I got a blood meter & some strips but I never even tried them. This is an easy way to cut my protein (and calories) without having to do all that work.
2. The thinnest I have ever been (as an adult) was when I was doing the Carbohydrate Addict Diet, which I now realize was a form of intermittent fasting -- most of the day's food is eaten during the 1-hour "reward meal." I was able to keep my weight off for 5 years on CAD, but it stopped working for me after I had my daughter (probably because I started blurring the edges around my "window").

Good luck to everyone.
evilmarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #30

Good morning, all!

E., welcome! I agree that CAD is pretty much a form of IF....I think the Hellers made a huge discovery when they came up with the idea of the Reward Meal back in the 1990s!

I am setting a 10:30-6:30 window today. I had the same window yesterday, but I was done eating at 5:30. It's easy for me to close my window after a nice dinner...I just don't like dealing with too much morning hunger.

On a good note, I am usually very sluggish during the winter, but I've been working with my doctor to better manage the "winter blues" and have actually felt like exercising in the mornings before I go to work. Hopefully I will continue to feel inspired to keep this up!