Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:14 AM   #91
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Cindy, I started PHD in Jan and the reason that the 16 hour fast is working so well according to Jaminet is that it correlates with our natural circadian rhythm. I agree, because have you ever noticed if you eat a late night meal that sleep is restless? My daughter worked the graveyard shift in NeoNatal IC and when her cirdadian rhythm went wonky, she gained about 20 lbs. She wasn't doing anything differently except eating her large meal at 9:00 pm and then heading to work.

From book Perfect Health, by Dr. Jaminet~

Quote:
In the hypothyroidism post, I suggested the following tactics for improving circadian rhythms:

Light entrainment: Get daytime sun exposure, and sleep in a totally darkened room.
Daytime feeding: Eat during daylight hours, so that food rhythms and light rhythms are in synch.
Intermittent fasting: Concentrate food intake during an 8-hour window during daylight hours, preferably the afternoon. A 16-hour fast leading to lower blood sugar and insulin levels, and the more intense hormonal response to food that results from concentration of daily calories into a short 8-hour time window, will accentuate the diurnal rhythm.
Adequate carb intake: Eat at least 400 “safe starch” carbohydrate calories daily during the afternoon feeding window. Relative to a very low-carb diet, this will increase daytime insulin release and, by increasing insulin sensitivity, may reduce fasting insulin levels. It will thus enhance diurnal insulin rhythm.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Hi to all,

I hope you don't mind if subscribe. I'm doing 5:2, coming off Atkins for 6 months and I am soaking up all this info like a sponge.

Awesome info, thank you!
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Thanks again, Sunday, for all you post.

I can't believe how easily I am maintaining my JUDDD losses by now doing the 8 hour eating window. I'm doing a bit of 5:2 in there, but not all the time as there seems to be a lot of eating out at the moment. Monday will be the next down or lessor day and that is fine.

Being able to eat potatoes and some other starches and not feel guilty after years of low carb is the best gift ever! Between being hit by a car last May and having undergone 7 surgeries, I feel great. I still have a long way to go therapy wise, but being in much smaller clothes makes my day! People can't believe how I look considering all I have been through and I am in the over 70 group!

YAY for intermittent fasting....my body seems to really like it!
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #94
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mholbrooks
To those that are doing this are you sticking to a certain calorie amount?
Mholbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 AM   #95
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not but I only eat 2 meals per day, so my high cals are very rarely at 1500. Most of the time a bit less. Since I eat PHD foods, the nutrition is the main thing, I have to concern myself in eating the proper nutrition and the cals are really not important.

Seabreeze, I am so glad this is working for you! Please keep updating.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
I'm onboard with Seabreezes - I am maintaining JUDD loss with a combo of 8 hour window and 5:2 (or 6:1) - it's very flexible. I log food a few times a week to make sure I am in the ballpark, but mostly stick to 1 meal, 2 meals or 3 meals a day - that gives me a rough range of 500-800, 1000-1500 or 1500-2000+ cals...seems to be working for me.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

I just find it so interesting that I am not hungry in the morning and can go until noon quite easily without solid food. I. Enjoy a cup of coffee with almond milk and some DaVinci sweetener with some fiber in it like Benefiber.

My meals are not huge when I do eat. I often have a small homemade chocolate chip cookie just before 8 PM and that is my treat. I had one very low cal day this past week.

We do go out for breakfast every Sunday, but not until later in the morning. That day gets a bit off. We leave tomorrow for the mainland for a couple of weeks, so eating up what is in the frig today - known as "Mustgoes"

It is a bit more challenging to follow different eating plans when we travel and I haven't been away since I started this, so will see how it goes.

Happy St. Paddy's Day!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #98
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: silkandsand
Stats: 167/160/130
WOE: PB&J
I'm interested in doing this so I am subscribing to this thread but plan on doing a coconut oil detoxifying fast first.
silkandsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #99
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Just wondering how everyone is doing with this WOE?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

I'm not following this WOE to a T, but I have moved from general JUDD/cal counting to eating in a window (1-8 hours) most days and it is going great. When I am finished with my last meal of the day, I note the time and then 16 hours later is more or less when I break the fast. I eat 1, 2 or 3 meals in my window depending on my schedule. I decided on this for maintenance, so anything under 145 pounds is now considered gravy. My low from last week was 141.0, so I am pleased as can be. Thanks for asking!

Last edited by route66; 03-25-2013 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: fat fingers
Old 03-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: corgimom
Stats: 145/135/128
WOE: 8 hour diet/limited carb
Start Date: 06/17/12 restart
I started this today. I did well on low carb, but want more flexibility and to lose 7 pounds that found me. I'm happy I found a thread as I just discovered this take on intermittent fasting today. I'll do my best to pop in most days to update how it is working for me. I'm hoping I kick up the metabolism, because I think my gain is from a slow down due to being smoke free for almost 5 months, plus the menopause thing.
corgimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Good for you, corgimom! I think this WOE has great flexibility. You may find this thread a little slow...check out some of the others as well including the general IF thread. Lots of folks there doing an eating window but not necessarily this particular diet.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Everyone that is following Perfect Health plan is doing this 8 hour window as well. I am loving the daily fast and find it has helped me to identify some of my past bad behaviors that resulted from mindless eating later in the evening. I don't eat extra wasted cals with 16 hour fasting and I don't miss it!

Have any of you noticed better sleep since moving to the 8 hour plan?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 AM   #104
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Good for you, corgimom! I think this WOE has great flexibility. You may find this thread a little slow...check out some of the others as well including the general IF thread. Lots of folks there doing an eating window but not necessarily this particular diet.
Thanks, I will check it out!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:54 PM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Filly
Stats: 5'2
Start Date: 12/19/2012
I have been going back and forth with IF for a little while. I recently read about this plan. I have no fear of hunger or being hungry. I welcome it. My fear is cravings. When they hit I don't know how to resist them. Of course they usually come when I have already eaten.
Filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Day 6

While I had an initial weight gain, which was depressing considering the amount of walking we worked into our weekend activities, I decided to just keep at it and trust that it would work. This morning, after having slept through the night for the first time in ages, I awoke minus that initial weight gain.

I got up, dressed and out the door for a short walk to get that 8 minutes of morning exercise. I feel really terrific for the first time in ages too.

I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filly View Post
I have been going back and forth with IF for a little while. I recently read about this plan. I have no fear of hunger or being hungry. I welcome it. My fear is cravings. When they hit I don't know how to resist them. Of course they usually come when I have already eaten.
Most of the time cravings are usually because we are missing something in our nutrition. Depletion of important nutrients have caused me some rather strong cravings. It wasn't long ago, that I went on a walnut & raw pumpkin seed binge every night for a period and when I began researching, realized I had not been getting enough magnesium or zinc. My body was yearning for this relatively simple nutrition and alerting me. I just wasn't paying attention!

Unless you are craving sugar. If it is sugar, then it could be a sign that you are ill. Our bodies are not designed to take such a sugar overload, and this sugar overload is contributing to many modern ills, including diabetes, heart disease and cancer. The problem is that sugar is highly addictive. Researchers at Yale University revealed that dramatic falls in blood sugar, which occur after eating ‘bad’ carbs such as sweets and bread, affect the part of the brain controlling impulse.

Jenny Ruhl does a great job in addressing this in "Blood Sugar 101". Also, Julia Ross has a book called "The Diet Cure" which addresses the reason we have very strong cravings and it is an excellent resource.

Great job Corgimom! I hope you keep updating us. I am now on my 4th month of 8 hours and found that I can stay in a 6-7 hour window rather easily.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 04-04-2013 at 07:34 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: robbelkk
Stats: 263/168/150
WOE: Atkins, LCHF, NK, BFC
Start Date: Feb 2012
hi! i'm interested in this thread and happy i came across it. i'm dabbling in the IF world because i binge eat and working on NK WOE and doing pretty well over-all. i do believe that i binge for reasons that include bad habits and just giving in to not wanting to think about not binge eating! so, i am finding that for a few days IF works then i find an excuse to stuff my face at night and undo the lbs lost from NK...I've lost a good 90 lbs and have hit the 100 lbs mark but keep getting there then bouncing back up so do feel like i'm still trying to find the WOE that works best. i enjoy LC/HF/mod prot WOE so NK with 85% fat is making me satiated and happy but still find ways to sabotage myself and i truly think it's just for comfort and bad habit. I started eating a bit after 8a today and now it's a bit after 4p so just now finishing my last "meal" for the day. will continue to follow this thread as i enjoy reading other's success post and about new WOE period (new to me). just discovered CAD last night by browsing this forum and it scares me a bit because i like to eat uncontrollably so doubt that WOE would work for me but still find it super interesting. anyway, just wanted to say hi and stalk the thread
robbelkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JMBM
Stats: 204/157/135
WOE: IF/BBD
Start Date: 02/15/2013
I'm combining a window with 4:3. So far so good. Tomorrow is my second DD so hopefully it will go well. Will have a small something probably around 6 pm.
JMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still enjoying the window! I am 10-6 and very happy to stay here. I will bend it once in a while on the weekends to include dinner out, but that is rare. I think the nice part is that it doesn't mess with my work or day schedule, so I love that.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Yes, but what are you actually eating. If I was told I could eat what I want I would start with Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and fruit or a cinnamon roll and then have a burger and fries and a cone for lunch. I can eat that an be done in 8 hours but I can't see myself losing on that.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I eat whole foods and cals range between 1100-1500 daily. I have been following Perfect Health which means I usually have eggs, salmon, turkey, sardines, tilapia, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, salad, greens, olives, avocado, asparagus, potatoes, rice, fermented veggies, apple, blueberries, strawberries, and for dessert greek yogurt, dark chocolate, w/ walnuts or mac nuts. The only foods I never eat would be grains, vegetable or seed oils, and sugar.

I honestly have never felt hungry or restricted. Lost 20 lbs since January. I know that I would have lost more if I would be more careful about wine and fruits.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #113
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
So, as I see it those who are successful on this WOE are eating low or lower calories, too with some also doing LC or lower carb.

When I did this WOE it was a free for all for me for the 8 hours because all the book says is "eat sensibly"! Well, that has many meaning and doing it "eating sensibly" I lost and gained the same 2 pounds, over and over.

Seems calories do matter, even though the book says they don't.....

Last edited by Beeb; 06-10-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beeb, That is true! I believe 20 years ago, I could have eaten anything I wanted in the window. Fast forward to present, I have hypothyroid now which means the whole ballgame changed for me personally. I have done much research and study on why it is so difficult for some overweight folks to drop weight while others can drop at the mere mention of diet. I noticed the same with JUDDD when I went to eating anything I wanted alternate days, I kept losing & gaining the same 2 lbs every single day. I was doing the exact numbers that other JUDDDers were at my weight and yet, I struggled. I began to pull my hair out.

Calories matter for me.

Last edited by sunday; 06-10-2013 at 09:49 AM..
Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I meant to come back and say, in truth, calories don't matter, what I eat matters!

I could eat a heck of a lot of pizza, margaritas and ice cream in an 8 hour period. Possibly 2500 calories worth! But, if I did this daily, I would gain so fast that my head would spin. I don't know if anyone can do that on any diet though, if you really want to think about it?

Now, since beginning 16 hour fasting, I can eat 1200 - 1500 cals of nutritious and simple food, and I am completely sated. Could I eat more? Yes, but it would be uncomfortable, because my dinner is more than enough. I never have desire for snacks ever. I don't graze. I still shake my head in amazement! This is something new for me! Yes, I have squeezed in ice cream at the end of the window and now that I think about it several times. YES, every single Sat & Sun, I do allow free days of pizza or whatever I want in the 8 hour window. I have conditioned myself, I will eat again tomorrow at 11:00 am. It is the same principle as JUDDD, but less thinking involved. I have trained my mind to be happy w/ the wait.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelloon
Stats: 180/174/145
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: June 2013
My First Day!

Hi, everyone and anyone! Today is my first day of incorporating intermittent fasting into the low carbing that I've been doing for a little over a week. I decided to join this forum for some accountability for myself and hopefully some support and, in an even better world, to help others (you?) stick to your plan and reach your goal.

I've only done low carb once before, many, many moons ago, and it was the only time in my life I got rid of the cellulite that is on my legs. It's a genetic thing, had it even as a teen. I love my mother dearly and am very happy with all the things I've gotten from her, but this is one I wish would have missed me. I will be very curious to see if ketosis will work the same way this time.

Another reason I like low carb is you can constantly reassure yourself that you are doing what you're supposed to be by monitoring with ketostix. Plus, you know that you cannot cheat or you will get thrown out of ketosis and have start all over.

I only came across the idea of IF or what some people are referring to as a "window" plan just yesterday and decided to try it because I simply do not have any or very little control over my eating. Binge, binge, binge - that's me. It's 90% mental too, I'm sure. From what I've been reading on forums and the Internet, this way of approaching things may help with that. I hope so!

Where I'm starting: I am in ketosis but barely. I've been doing low carb for 11 days. My net weight loss has been 6 pounds, only 2 of which has been fat according to my body fat analyzer. My goal is 145 and I have 29 to go. I am going to be 51 years old in 10 days.

My plan: I am going to start with a 5-hour window, 12 noon to 5 pm. I think this will work best for my work schedule. I'm making it 5 hours instead of 8 because, frankly, if I have 8 hours to think about food, I will obsess for 8 hours. Plus, with a 5-hour eating window, that will mean a few extra hours to reap the benefits of the fasting period.

I don't cook because I don't know how and don't have the time anyway because I work so much. So I have signed up for a diet plan that I found online that delivers fresh food twice a week. It's low carb and a great variety and soooo easy. I am going to eat all 3 meals they send in my 5-hour window, which add up to about 1200 calories.

I will drink lots of water, which I'm already used to doing. I will have stevia sweetened tea in the morning and a diet soda or two during the non-eating hours. I know how bad diet sodas are for me and was successful in avoiding them for many, many years but have resorted to them once again to help me through during this. Believe me, I will break that habit again as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to fit exercise in for at least two weeks, even a minimal amount, because of a huge work project. But when that's done, I plan on running a few miles a day. We'll see how that goes. I am used to eating an entirely different way when I am able to regularly run, as I love to do, and I'm assuming my hunger levels are going to increase drastically when I add that back in, especially since I'm going to have to do it a good 7 hours before my eating window starts. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I've posted here because I want somewhere to track my progress and, like I said, accountability. By doing so, it will help me stay on track. I look forward to reading any responses anyone may have, suggestions, and would welcome any partners in the journey!

Day One -- Here we go!
Kelloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #117
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kelloon
Stats: 180/174/145
WOE: LC/IF
Start Date: June 2013
Found this cool ticker tool so I wanted to add it:

Kelloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #118
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome Kelloon.

I hope you enjoy this IF plan.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome Kelloon....I find it so easy to do.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #120
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelloon View Post
Found this cool ticker tool so I wanted to add it:

Welcome to the site Kelloon!! I just wanted to let you know that you will have to paste that ticker into each of your posts but after you have been a member for 25 days and have 25 posts you will be able to access your signature area.. Then you can add it there and it will show for you automatically.

If you need help getting it into your signature area after you gain access feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to help you add it at that time!!

Take care!!

cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote