Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/158/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I’m still here. Doing IF with Weight Watcher’s. I’ve been doing IF since this Summer but was not really trying to restrict my eating. Just mostly trying to eat healthy, whole foods.

I didn’t realize how much it had tamed my appetite until I tried to watch my food consumption.

I’m eating a pretty big salad with kale, radish, shredded beets, chopped egg, sunflower seeds and dressing for lunch at about 11 or 12. 6 huge garlic stuffed olives for snack and then dinner about 5 or 6. I have been having trouble going to sleep but it’s manageable. I’m not freezing like I was on JUDD. I go to sleep a bit hungry but wake up with no hunger at all. If I don’t make lunch by 11 I don’t feel stressed about it.

I know the WW leader would gasp but I have 26 points to use in a day and I use 19 for dinner. I actually am making a Peanut Sauce for my shrimp tonight in order to get my calories in for the day.

I realize that this is how I ate most of my adult life before I started gaining weight. I used to work nights and I rarely ate in the day. I had a light meal in the afternoon and ate whatever I wanted for dinner. I worked as a restaurant manager, so I ate good for free!!

I was down 4.2 lbs. for my first week weigh in on Tuesday!! I’ve allowed my calories for Sushi ( I like the bad Tempura fried crunchy rolls) and red wine tomorrow night.

I really feel as if this is so “doable” for me. Time will tell if I can sustain it.

I have maintained at 170 for the last couple of years and have been OK with that. The times I have tried to get into “diet” mode again I can get it off but I got too stressed out and deprived and put it back on quickly.

Last edited by Erin57; 01-31-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #62
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Hello!

I'm happy to start my second month of IF tomorrow. I love an eight hour window. It's just the right timing for me. I've found that my dinner meal needs to have enough protein and fat to carry me through to breakfast the next day...I had a meal earlier this week that was pretty carb heavy and woke up hungry the next morning. Last night, I had a bowl of chili with cheese and sour cream and didn't start getting hungry until about fifteen minutes before my window opened.

I love it that there is so much room for variety and for people to choose what works best for them within an eight hour window.

I know what you mean, Erin...getting into "diet" mode has backfired on me every time.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:03 PM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Good to "see" you Rachel! The only time this week that I got really hungry was the day that I forgot my lunch for a meeting that started at 11. I ran to Wendy's and got a Baha Salad. Not much in the way of good veggies and covered with Chili. I was definately hungry that day.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I have been doing the 7 hour plan for about 3 weeks now and can't believe it took me this long. It is much easier than any other plan that I have ever tried. I hope that I can keep this up.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:27 AM   #65

Gallery: jiggles
For those that are following an 8 hour plan (or 7, 6, whatever) are you also following some other WOE, like Atkins, WW, South Beach, etc? Or are you eating what you want just as long as it's within that time frame?
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
1/01.......180
2/01.......175

Rachel.......Thanks for the tip adding more fat and protein at dinner to carry me through to noon!! great idea.
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggles View Post
For those that are following an 8 hour plan (or 7, 6, whatever) are you also following some other WOE, like Atkins, WW, South Beach, etc? Or are you eating what you want just as long as it's within that time frame?
I am doing IF with Weight Watcher's points and weekly meetings for weigh in.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #68
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gilded Lily
Rachel, you are right about the protein and fat in the evening hours. It makes a huge difference in hunger. I'm glad you found a plan that works so well for you!

Quote:
Jiggles, I think FOR ME (and I stress those 2 words!), I need to follow SOMETHING else. Before I read his book, I was already doing most of the things he suggests (healthy foods ONLY, eating in a time frame, exercise every day) and wasn't losing anything but was maintaining nicely. Then my eating got bad (holidays, why do we do this?!) and I picked up a few pounds. I'm trying to shorten the window and skip breakfast to see if I can ditch the weight. We will see! What plan are you doing?

I hope that made sense. I've not had much coffee yet!

Brenda

hhcg R1P2VLCD40 -26.0 hhcg R2P2VLCD42 -22.4 hcg R3P2VLCD60 -25.6 hhcg R4P2VCLD21 -08.6 Total: -82.6 hhcg R5P2VLCD21 -9.6
Total loss: 100+

My Weight Loss Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...lilys-pad.html
Gilded Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #69

Gallery: jiggles
I'm not following any specific eating plan. I've tried JUDDD a few times and what I like about that is I don't have to worry about not always eating perfectly healthy (although that would be nice). I just started the 5:2 plan (without a certain food plan) however I'm finding that I still overeat the night before a DD in preparation for the next day. So, I thought maybe the 8 hour plan would fit me better but I have a really hard time sticking to a specific food plan where I'm told I can't or shouldn't eat something (only makes me want it more).
jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #70
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gilded Lily
Quote:
I'm not following any specific eating plan. I've tried JUDDD a few times and what I like about that is I don't have to worry about not always eating perfectly healthy (although that would be nice). I just started the 5:2 plan (without a certain food plan) however I'm finding that I still overeat the night before a DD in preparation for the next day. So, I thought maybe the 8 hour plan would fit me better but I have a really hard time sticking to a specific food plan where I'm told I can't or shouldn't eat something (only makes me want it more).
Though I have never done JUDDD (something very similiar though), I am the exact same way as the bolded part. I think part of me feels that deprivation is coming and I need to get in all I can before it hits. Or something like that. I like the freedom of The 8 Hour Diet in that you can eat somthing that you like and want every single day.
Gilded Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #71

Jiggles, I made my own general rule for myself--keep breakfast and lunch sugar and starch free and eat a plate of whatever I want for dinner, plus a small desert.

This week, I tended to open my window at 10:30 with an apple and peanut butter, have a lunch of greek yogurt and blueberries, and then have a snack of string cheese and nuts.

I was invited out for lunch today with friends--I rarely go out for lunch--and I did have gluten free pizza. That's not my norm, but it still fits within IF. That's the kind of flexibility I need to not get into a deprivation mindset.

I do think it makes sense to have a general rule to follow about eating in your window, whether it's another "diet" that you follow or just a philosophy that makes sense to you.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #72
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I am slowing eeking off my 2 lb gain..... about 4 ozs per day.

I have been working on shortening up my window. I got in my car to go home from work yesterday a little after 5:00 and realized I forgot to eat lunch. I had a little bag of cashews on the drive home and I wasn't starving and was able to eat a normal dinner. I tried the same thing today.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #73
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin57 View Post
I’m still here. Doing IF with Weight Watcher’s. I’ve been doing IF since this Summer but was not really trying to restrict my eating. Just mostly trying to eat healthy, whole foods.

I didn’t realize how much it had tamed my appetite until I tried to watch my food consumption.

I’m eating a pretty big salad with kale, radish, shredded beets, chopped egg, sunflower seeds and dressing for lunch at about 11 or 12. 6 huge garlic stuffed olives for snack and then dinner about 5 or 6. I have been having trouble going to sleep but it’s manageable. I’m not freezing like I was on JUDD. I go to sleep a bit hungry but wake up with no hunger at all. If I don’t make lunch by 11 I don’t feel stressed about it.

I know the WW leader would gasp but I have 26 points to use in a day and I use 19 for dinner. I actually am making a Peanut Sauce for my shrimp tonight in order to get my calories in for the day.

I realize that this is how I ate most of my adult life before I started gaining weight. I used to work nights and I rarely ate in the day. I had a light meal in the afternoon and ate whatever I wanted for dinner. I worked as a restaurant manager, so I ate good for free!!

I was down 4.2 lbs. for my first week weigh in on Tuesday!! I’ve allowed my calories for Sushi ( I like the bad Tempura fried crunchy rolls) and red wine tomorrow night.

I really feel as if this is so “doable” for me. Time will tell if I can sustain it.

I have maintained at 170 for the last couple of years and have been OK with that. The times I have tried to get into “diet” mode again I can get it off but I got too stressed out and deprived and put it back on quickly.
Erin, thank you so much for posting your link. I'm going to give this a try also. You mention how this is how you ate most of your adult life and it's been in the back of my mind for several weeks how I used to eat growing up and most of my adult life. Exactly the same way and I never ever had to snack. Slowly went downhill after all my kids were gone.

This plan, I believe will put me back in that mode. I just finished hours of research on the 8 Hour Diet and also on The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. If eating normal doesn't work for me within the IF, I'll switch to the Paleo diet, but still within the 8 hour IF. At least with that plan I can eat more carbs than on Atkins. I don't like the way Sisson doesn't support exercise though or says it's not necessary although I think maybe he supports interval sprints.

Well, we're on our journey.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #74
Major LCF Poster!

CORRECTION. Mark Sisson does support working out. Been listening to a YouTube interview with him plus downloaded a free ebook from his web site "Primal Blueprint Fitness".
Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #75

Good morning! I had an interesting eating day yesterday. I opened my window with scrambled eggs and ham, which was so filling that I didn't get hungry for a few hours. We were at a movie when I had my first hunger pains and by the end of the movie, I was feeling sick-to-my-stomach hungry. I stopped at the store and got some nuts right after the movie. I need to always have a snack in my purse...I don't mind mild hunger, but when I start feeling sick, it's too much.

I did make a nice dinner...crab cakes, creamy potatoes, asparagus, and a small handful of chocolate covered nuts for desert.

I love reading everyone's stories! Thank you all for posting!!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #76

Ps, I agree that at my thinnest, I naturally ate this way. Coffee for breakfast, small lunch because I was on the go, and a good dinner that filled me up so I had no need to snack at night. Plus real life activity, like walking places or working in a job where I was on my feet like working in a store or teaching.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Right now, I am eating PHD foods. I am eating two meals on my Up day and 1 meal on my Down day. Since I don't have much time, I notice that I rarely eat up to Up day calories (1600). Most of the time, it is close to 1400 or many times less. DD is right about 400 every time and has gone to 550. I like the window, because it gives my body rest from digestion and it is also a part of the PHD plan. I will eventually drop JUDDD because this is fasting in itself, and I will just eat 2 meals per day.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

I started my 8 hour window yesterday even though I hadn't done the 16 hour fast. Actually, I only ate within a 6 hour window because I ate breakfast late, but still didn't want to eat after 6:30. It worked very nicely for me. For the first time in years I didn't snack before bed time.

The bad new is I slept from 10:30pm to 2:30am - I do have a sleep problem. Because of that, I've been really really hungry, but drinking coffee and water to wait it out until 10:30am.

I did lose a pound, but it's the same low weight I've had two other times in the month of Jan. so no big deal. Once I go beneath this weight, then I'll consider it a loss.

I hadn't read the book yet, just mainly picked up info from here and the internet. I have ordered the book though and it should be here the 7th. I doubt I'll have fast weight loss as I do normally drink a lot of coffee in the morning and I understand this will slow me down. No big deal as my goal is to lose 1 pound/week until my weight goal. We'll see.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #79

Hello!

Opened my window a little later today...I was in a meeting until almost 11:30. Luckily, I had a piece of string cheese that I could quickly eat. Then I had a lunch out for a co-workers birthday. I mostly had meat, veggies, and a little bit of rice. Lunch was filling, so I haven't felt the need to snack this afternoon.

Hunger pains at 8 am but they were gone by 8:10 and then I was good until about 10:30.

We're making homemade pizza for dinner (gluten free), and I'll probably have some chocolate covered nuts for desert.

I think it's a good plan to always close my window at about the same time, unless I have a rare event that would require me to eat past 6:30.

Good thing about eating out today is that I already have my food stocked here at work tomorrow!

Hope you all had a great IF Monday!

Rachel
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/154.6/149 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Hi all,

I'm jumping in here because I started the 8 hour WOE yesterday. I love JUDDD, but I feel like I need a change or a kickstart right now. I've been maintaining for months, which is great, but I still want to lose another 10-20lbs.

Yesterday I wasn't especially mindful. I knew I wasn't hungry after eating lunch, but when I got home, DH had got pizza and I dived into it. Today I'm pretty tired, which means I need to really pay attention to my eating or I'll end up scarfing sugar to stay awake.

Nice to see some JUDDD BUDDDs here - and looking forward to sharing this journey with you all
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #81

Alcestis, feel free to join in the Intermittent Fasting thread also.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hello all! Just want to drop in and say that Paul Jaminet (Perfect Health) recommends 1 tbsp CO in coffee/tea or just alone if needed during fasting. So, I have been having it upon waking, because sometimes I wake at 6:00 am and this allows me to continue till 11:00 for my 1st meal. I am sure that some of you may be doing this, but thought I would drop the great hint.

Also, has anyone noticed a reduced appetite since beginning the 8 Hour window? I noticed it, but did not now if it was from fasting or eating PHD?

welcome to all the new 8 hour friends!

Last edited by sunday; 02-13-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Alcestis
Stats: 210/154.6/149 5' 8"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: December 13th, 2011
Thanks Rachel

Sunday, I'm already noticing reduced appetite, which is very cool. However, the scale is up a little. Also TOM this week, so I'm being patient, trying to listen to my body, and enjoying the simplicity of this WOE.
Alcestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcestis View Post
Thanks Rachel

Sunday, I'm already noticing reduced appetite, which is very cool. However, the scale is up a little. Also TOM this week, so I'm being patient, trying to listen to my body, and enjoying the simplicity of this WOE.
Don't fret the scale. Remember that it takes a bit for our body to figure out where we are going. It is interesting, because I am definitely eating less in the window. Maybe it is because of no snacking. I will start weighing and figure out if I am really losing, or if it is still stay the same.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: barbpol
Stats: 203/187/148 5'4"
WOE: whatever I think is gonna work
Start Date: Sep. 2003/Sep. 2006/too many times
Guess this isn't for me

I tried the 8 hour diet last week and gained 4 pounds. DH lost 2 pounds, so I think it can work for some people, just not for everyone and obviously not for me. I'm going back to JUDDD. I've been trying to find something that works for me mentally as well as physically. I lost 30+ pounds twice on Atkins, but never kept the weight off for long. I lost slowly or maintained on JUDDD. I was looking for something different because trying to maintain an up day/down day schedule was getting hard to fit around my life.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am not sure why, but this is very difficult for some people? I haven't read the book, but just reading over at the PHD site, everyone loves this type of fasting. Very strange, how we are all different.

For me this reigns in my appetite, it seems gentler, and I don't eat as much. But I also don't snack, just two meals and one desert and that is it. Nada after 5:00 pm until 10:00 am the next day. Some days 1 meal, and that is usually when I know I am going out for dinner and don't want to count cals.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #87
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
I've decided to try the 8 hour window plan for maintenance i'm on day three and have lost 2lbs i haven't read the book yet, but have a library hold on a copy. It should be here soon! My eating window will normally be 11-7, but are we allowed to move this around if something comes up? We have a church dinner on Saturday and our seating is at 7:30, which means i won't finish eating until 8:30ish. I'd like to do a 1-9 window for that day.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sara, This is one reason that it is promoted by the Jaminets. They see 8 hours as being so much more flexible than any other fasting, except for 5:2. So you are fine! I switch my Friday nights to later and then go back to 11-6.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #89
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rosewoodb
Stats: Original 192 weight Restart 165/156.5/140
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: Original March 2010 Restart: February 18, 2013
I'm popping in to subscribe, although you all have been quiet for a week. LOL. I believe that this WOE might be my next step. I'll be lurking, but will chime in if I start.

BJ
rosewoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #90
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
I've decided to try the 8 hour window plan for maintenance i'm on day three and have lost 2lbs i haven't read the book yet, but have a library hold on a copy. It should be here soon! My eating window will normally be 11-7, but are we allowed to move this around if something comes up? We have a church dinner on Saturday and our seating is at 7:30, which means i won't finish eating until 8:30ish. I'd like to do a 1-9 window for that day.
I think I will too! I agree with whoever here said this is best when combined with another plan. I see the 8 hour window is also over on the PHD but noticed that the PHD wants your first meal (correct me if I'm wrong) to be 30 grams of protein for a female. I can do that as I am an egg fiend! I will also try the above suggestion that Sunday posted and have 1T of CO in my coffee to get me to tide over until 10:00 which I think will start my daily window. I like that this packs your food into your busiest time of the day. My WOE is calorie counting with moderate carb, moderately high protein and making the fat fill out the rest!!.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh

Last edited by CindyCRNA; 03-01-2013 at 07:21 PM..
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote