Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: renedlb
LOL

Rachel

Thanks.... I will make it 11-7. I hate to eat anylater that that.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Rene'
renedlb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #32
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmarketeer View Post
I'm in! Too bad Beeb is already out -- I just discovered this thread.

I have been doing this for a week and a half. I'm doing an 8-hour eating window from 12-8, but not following the book. I'm just eating low-carb during the window.

So far, things have been going very well. I feel great, and I think I'm eating significantly less overall. I don't weigh myself, but I have been stalled for 1.5 years and I think I am finally losing weight again. My pants are getting loose.

I was afraid of the idea of fasting at first, but I decided to try it for a couple of reasons:
1. I've been wanting to try nutritional ketosis (lower protein + low carb) for some time in order to break my stall, but I don't want to have to count calories, keep food logs, test my blood, etc. I got a blood meter & some strips but I never even tried them. This is an easy way to cut my protein (and calories) without having to do all that work.
2. The thinnest I have ever been (as an adult) was when I was doing the Carbohydrate Addict Diet, which I now realize was a form of intermittent fasting -- most of the day's food is eaten during the 1-hour "reward meal." I was able to keep my weight off for 5 years on CAD, but it stopped working for me after I had my daughter (probably because I started blurring the edges around my "window").

Good luck to everyone.
Believe me I would LOVE to still be here, wish I could but my mental and physical health right now is more important then losing weight.....Maybe later and in the mean time good luck to you!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #33
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I was down 2lbs this morning. They were newly gained ones, but I am still happy to see them gone. TOM showed up unexpectedly last night so it is quite a victory.

I planned a 12-8 window, but was STARVING at 11:30 so I ended at 7:30 instead. Lunch was LC, but dinner not so much (DH fixed it though). I haven't counted but I am probably still under 75 for the day. Every time I think I have gone way overboard and I add it up I am rarely over 100 carbs. When I think about how the RDA is 300 my mind is boggled.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Gilded Lily
I'm thinking of trying this. I have the book on hold at our library. I'm not sure I will see any big results from this as I almost always have a 9 hour window anyway. I am willing to try though!
Gilded Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #35
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Good morning! I am having a cup of coffee for breakfast. I'm not hungry yet, but when I get hungry, I'm going to make some scrambled eggs and ham.

I closed my window early last night because we went out for an early dinner. I had soup, salad, and a chocolate desert. I closed my window at about 5:00, so a 6.5 hour window for me yesterday.

My daughter is out skiing with her dad today, so I'm just enjoying a quiet day to myself. I'll make homemade crab cakes for dinner when she gets home tonight.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Blabbermouth!!!

I got the book today and am almost 1/2 way through. It seems fairly simple. I've been doing most of these things anyway only using a 9 or 9.5 hour window.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #37
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Down another pound this morning.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am also incorporating The Shangri La Diet. It is a dumb name, but the idea is that taking in calories that are unflavored will cause weight loss. I did it for a week before I incorporated the 8 hour window without much progress, but they do say it often takes a few days to kick in.

Whatever it is, I am happy it is working.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #38
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Another pound today. I am losing track by talking about a pound here and there instead of numbers. Let's try this:

Starting post-surgery weight for 8 hour diet (+SLD): 219.6
Day 2: 17.?
Day 3: 16.4
Day 4 (today): 15.4

My window was 12:00-8:00 yesterday.

I had breakfast at noon yesterday and ate bacon, eggs & fried red potatoes. I had my SLD oil at 3:00 and messed up the flavorless window a bit by absentmindedly drinking a diet soda I had sitting by my chair. Dinner was beef stew and I had two cookies and a bowl of ice cream for desert. All done at exactly 8:00.

On the work days I have been doing this, I have stuck to VLC lunches and then loosened up for dinner. I think this is what Rachel is doing- great idea. Thanks! I did CAD many years ago (it was my fist LC diet ever) and I felt 1000% better, but didn't lose weight. I was a SAHM at the time and I think I went way overboard with the dinners- fried chicken, chocolate cake, etc. Coming off a LF diet it felt like heaven.

I have had one cup of coffee every morning with coconut oil and coconut cream outside my window. The rest I drink black.

I am liking this plan. I should get the book to check out the rest of the ideas. I tried Fast 5 awhile back and it worked, but the window was too short to really fit my life. The 8 hour window seems prefect.

Have a great day everyone!

Last edited by GME; 01-27-2013 at 08:43 AM..
Old 01-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #39

Hi Gina, I am happy to read about your successes! I feel like this woe is freeing and sustainable for the long term. I was never able to embrace very low carb as a way of living because it wasn't for me. An 8 hour window..or sometimes a little less..is very sustainable.

We had an early dinner last night. My daughter was really hungry when she got home from skiing. I made crab cakes, asparagus, rice, and enjoyed 1/2 cup ice cream for desert. So my window closed about 5 pm, 6.5 hours.

Making a couple of modifications to my plan today...will post them later!

Have a great day!!!

Rachel
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #40

Okay, I'm back. Even though I'm trying not to pay too much attention to the scale and am averaging my weekly weight, I will admit that I was happy to see a new low weight for the month of January today: 150.9. This was nice validation for me, to see that keeping it simple and not quitting will help me ultimately reach and maintain my goal.

And onto my plan modifications: my original plan was to use CAD guidelines within my window. However, I need more variety in my breakfast and lunch meals. So, I'm modifying my plan. Breakfast and lunch, no sugar or starch. Dinner, a plate of anything I want, plus desert.

This allows me to bring fruit, greek yogurt, and nuts back into my days. None of these items are allowed during CM's on CAD, but I enjoy them, find them healthy, and they don't cause me to overeat.

Just enjoyed a nice serving of greek yogurt to break my fast at 11:30 am.

Have a great day!
Rachel
Old 01-28-2013, 02:41 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

You all are doing great!

I finished the book. A lot of it was recipes and exercise moves.

I plan on giving this a whirl today. My schedule is really whacky. I'm up at 4:45 am and try to go to bed around 9pm. I'm not exactly sure when to open the window yet. I'll see how I feel today and take it from there.

Do you all incorporate the 8 foods types he suggests and the 8 minutes of exercise?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 AM   #42

Lily, I'm not using his list of foods. But I did set my own guideline of no starch or sugar at breakfast or lunch and a plate of whatever I want, plus desert, for dinner.

I brought greek yogurt, peanut butter, almonds, string cheese, blueberries, and an apple to work with me today. I'm sure those foods probably fit into his categories, but I am never going to say: "I ate my 8!", even if I happen to do so, lol. Dinner last night was grilled ham and cheese with potato chips and two pieces of chocolate for desert. Dinner tonight will be homemade tacos with ice cream for desert. That's what I mean by "a plate of whatever I want."

And, I have recently felt like getting up and exercising in the mornings, so I have been riding my exercise bike for 30 minutes. I don't know if it's going to contribute to my weight loss or not, but it helps wake me up for the rest of the day and makes me feel happier, so I am doing it.

I think the most important thing is to find an 8 hour window that works for you and just stick with it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
Down another pound this morning.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am also incorporating The Shangri La Diet. It is a dumb name, but the idea is that taking in calories that are unflavored will cause weight loss. I did it for a week before I incorporated the 8 hour window without much progress, but they do say it often takes a few days to kick in.

Whatever it is, I am happy it is working.
I think this ^^^^ is the key; incorporating another type of diet into this 8 Hour Diet. I have gained 3 pounds just "eating what I wanted" for the last 2 weeks in my 8 hour window and THAT is not working for me! When I can wrap my mind around "diet" again I may do what GME is doing with something that works for me, like JUDDD.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I think this ^^^^ is the key; incorporating another type of diet into this 8 Hour Diet. I have gained 3 pounds just "eating what I wanted" for the last 2 weeks in my 8 hour window and THAT is not working for me! When I can wrap my mind around "diet" again I may do what GME is doing with something that works for me, like JUDDD.
Hi Beeb, it's good to see you! And all others here. I'm still doing an 8 hour window from 11-7. I started back in the Summer.

It helped me maintain but I did manage to still find an extra 5-7 lbs. in the past few months.

I started back with Weight Watchers last week and am down 4 lbs. so far. I'm still doing low carb, lots of veggies, no dairy, plenty of fat. My daily allowance for WW points is 26 and I use about 6 for fat. Mostly for butter. Just tracking what goes into my mouth has made a huge difference. Mostly the wine.

I have noticed that since I last did WW in 2010 that I am not hungry AT ALL this time. I don't know if it is the IF that has helped me control hunger or that I am not skimping on the fat this time.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #45

I was watching a video of Dr. Bert Herring, founder of the Fast-5 diet, and he was saying that over time, intermittent fasting does help regulate appetite. I really believe this is true.

I don't believe that people can lose weight on intermittent fasting if they are stuffing themselves with food for a full eight hours or eating just because they can eat. However, I think within IF, you can find a comfortable place where you feel good and eat foods you enjoy and that you can enjoy a tremendous amount of freedom compared to traditional diets.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Lily, I'm not using his list of foods. But I did set my own guideline of no starch or sugar at breakfast or lunch and a plate of whatever I want, plus desert, for dinner.

I brought greek yogurt, peanut butter, almonds, string cheese, blueberries, and an apple to work with me today. I'm sure those foods probably fit into his categories, but I am never going to say: "I ate my 8!", even if I happen to do so, lol. Dinner last night was grilled ham and cheese with potato chips and two pieces of chocolate for desert. Dinner tonight will be homemade tacos with ice cream for desert. That's what I mean by "a plate of whatever I want."

And, I have recently felt like getting up and exercising in the mornings, so I have been riding my exercise bike for 30 minutes. I don't know if it's going to contribute to my weight loss or not, but it helps wake me up for the rest of the day and makes me feel happier, so I am doing it.

I think the most important thing is to find an 8 hour window that works for you and just stick with it.

Congrats on the exercise! My dd15 and I get up every morning and exercise before she goes to school. That's why my schedule is so crazy. I need a lot of coffee before I can even think about exercise!

Thanks for the info on your food. I had been sugar/wheat free for a long while and I recently fell off the wagon. Hard. Sugar just kills me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
You are probably right, Beeb. I was doing no sugar/no wheat, eating in a 9 hour window, and doing some pretty hardcore exercise and I wasn't losing anything at all. I will probably have to cut calories to make this work for me. But then again, I don't understand or have a lot of info on IF yet, so I'm hopeful it won't be too drastic!

Quote:
I was watching a video of Dr. Bert Herring, founder of the Fast-5 diet, and he was saying that over time, intermittent fasting does help regulate appetite. I really believe this is true.

I don't believe that people can lose weight on intermittent fasting if they are stuffing themselves with food for a full eight hours or eating just because they can eat. However, I think within IF, you can find a comfortable place where you feel good and eat foods you enjoy and that you can enjoy a tremendous amount of freedom compared to traditional diets.
I totally agree!

Brenda

hhcg R1P2VLCD40 -26.0 hhcg R2P2VLCD42 -22.4 hcg R3P2VLCD60 -25.6 hhcg R4P2VCLD21 -08.6 Total: -82.6 hhcg R5P2VLCD21 -9.6
Total loss: 100+

My Weight Loss Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...lilys-pad.html
Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #47

Quote:

Even though I do agree with your concept here I will say that some of us have a very hard time with "limits" when a WOE says we can "eat all the foods we love for 8 hours a day". Yes, we SHOULD limit those foods but for someone with an eating disorder or someone who just likes to "eat" this is NOT easy to do!

And I will disagree with your concept that "within IF you can find a comfortable place where you feel good and eat foods you enjoy". When eating those foods we enjoy becomes NOT a comfortable places because of over eating in that IF window, then this will not work for some of us.

Not everyone does well on every diet or WOE and some of us do terrible just with the concept of dieting. I feel it's something we all need to remember when we suggest things.

Just my thoughts, nothing more.

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 01-28-2013, 05:01 PM   #48

I think people should choose what works for them. Also, I said...I think and can...my opinions. Not trying to force anyone into choosing this way of life...it is just what I have finally decided...after many many years of dieting...is sustainable and freeing for me.

Today's food: apple with peanut butter, string cheese and almonds, Greek yogurt and blueberries, homemade tacos, ice cream

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 01-28-2013 at 05:06 PM..
Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: evilmarketeer
Stats: 16/12/10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2011
Great job, everyone! I agree with much of what was said above. The key is to combine the 8-hour window with some sort of other diet -- presumably low carb, since we are on a low carb board. I haven't read the book and do not try to eat any of the recommended foods. Instead, I'm continuing the low carb plan that I have been doing for almost two years -- no sugar, very few grains (with the exception of the occasional low carb tortilla), no potatoes, corn, rice, etc. Very small amounts of fruit -- maybe once or twice a week.

The second key is to use IF to increase control of your hunger. If the IF is actually increasing hunger or causing binges, it's probably better to stop IF. I had some hunger issues for the first few days, but now that I've been doing it for over two weeks, I am experiencing less hunger than before starting IF. Even though I'm only eating two meals a day, I'm eating LESS at each meal. Sometimes I get very hungry for the last hour of my window (11-12), but that just makes the food taste even better when I finally get to eat at 12.

I'm still not weighing myself, but some of my pants are getting quite loose. A couple of people have commented on my weight loss already.

Naomi (not actually evil)
evilmarketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmarketeer View Post
Great job, everyone! I agree with much of what was said above. The key is to combine the 8-hour window with some sort of other diet -- presumably low carb, since we are on a low carb board. I haven't read the book and do not try to eat any of the recommended foods. Instead, I'm continuing the low carb plan that I have been doing for almost two years -- no sugar, very few grains (with the exception of the occasional low carb tortilla), no potatoes, corn, rice, etc. Very small amounts of fruit -- maybe once or twice a week.

The second key is to use IF to increase control of your hunger. If the IF is actually increasing hunger or causing binges, it's probably better to stop IF. I had some hunger issues for the first few days, but now that I've been doing it for over two weeks, I am experiencing less hunger than before starting IF. Even though I'm only eating two meals a day, I'm eating LESS at each meal. Sometimes I get very hungry for the last hour of my window (11-12), but that just makes the food taste even better when I finally get to eat at 12.

I'm still not weighing myself, but some of my pants are getting quite loose. A couple of people have commented on my weight loss already.

Naomi (not actually evil)
Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #51
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Lots of messages while I was at work. I am a firm believer that we all have to find what works for us..... and it will not be the same for others. For me, I did LC for a couple of years and it became second nature. I just.didn't.eat.carbs. Period. Even if I wasn't focused enough to lose, I didn't backslide because I never ate carbs.

Regular LC quit working, so I tried carb cycling and then JUDDD. Both worked in the short run, but between the carb cycling and the JUDDD idea that you can "eat what you want every other day" I started eating carbs again, even when I wasn't actively "dieting." I was OK for awhile because I ran and worked out a lot, but when I hit a busy patch in life, and when I finally injured myself too much to run, I started gaining. I don't blame JUDDD, it works great for some people. Not me though.

I was up 2 lbs this morning. Not really surprised though. I set my window 12-8 so I could eat lunch, dinner and desert/snack and go to bed at 9. Last night I had a big dinner that ended right at 8 and went to bed an hour later. I woke up still full. I ate much less and earlier tonight. I was done with dinner before 6. I may still have a snack later.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:02 AM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Good morning, ladies. Hope everyone is well.

I used a 5 hour window yesterday just to see if it was do-able. For me, that's 12-5. Does that sound ok? I get up very early and go to bed before 9 so I don't want to eat late.

I got on the scale this morning so I would have a starting point. Sigh.

I did my exercise (Insanity Plyo) and am going to try to keep the food choices health today. I'm skipping breakfast and that is HUGE in my world.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #53

Good morning! I totally agree--everyone has to find what works best for her (or him!) The author of the 8 Hour Diet says it's great to combine another eating plan with this program.

I saw another new low on the scale this morning, 150.5. Hooray!

Today's plan is about the same as yesterday, but I think we're going out for dinner.

A 12-5 window is great if it works for you. I used to do 12-6 with great success. Then I got out of the habit and a six hour window is hard for me at this point in time. 8 hour window is easy, though. I just get a little hungry before I open at 10:30 and I'm satisfied the rest of the day and night.

I actually got up and exercised again this morning. And it felt good.

Have a great day!

Rachel
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #54

Here's my weekly averages so far (doing IF with CAD to start the month, then switching to my own plan with IF)

Start: 155.5
Week 1: 153.8
Week 2: 152.8
Week 3: 152.6
Week 4: 151.5
January: High weight of 155.5, low weight of 150.5
Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #55
Blabbermouth!!!

That's great, Rachel!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #56

Thanks, Lily! I'm happy to see a slow but steady loss. After years of trying to find something that could be a lifestyle, I think I've found what works for me.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: tay65
Stats: On 1/6 - 215.6; current - 208.3 / 1st goal - 199
WOE: Counting calories
Start Date: March 2014
I've been doing this without knowing it! LOL
tay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #58

Hi all! Even though I'm not doing this anymore I'm still interested in how it's going for everyone!

Let me know how you are doing on this plan, and I wish you all the very best!!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
I am still here! Did well yesterday ...but so hungry today opened my window early today...lost 2 lbs. since I started. 1/14
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimlizzie View Post
I am still here! Did well yesterday ...but so hungry today opened my window early today...lost 2 lbs. since I started. 1/14
That is wonderful!! I'll be waiting to here more good news in the future!!