Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/149/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - January 2014
Slim Nana - thanks for the hugs. I may pop over to 5:2 once the month is done...we'll see where I go from there. I am so happy for all the success stories so far with 5:2.

For the rest of the month I am eating intuitively, at least trying... And counting calories at the end of the day. I need to refuel - my body was screaming for fuel, and I finally listened.

5:2 seems to be going very well for those participating and posting. I will experiment a bit more once I feel more "stable". For now I am staying off the scale...which is pretty scary in itself.

I am feeling so much better. The fog has lifted

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ogether-4.html
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Okay, I admit, I've read this twice and my head just goes loopy because I can't follow it - but a question popped into my head. My JB's know how achingly slow my losses are, so I was wondering if 5:2 might work better for me? My metabolism is as slow as a snail trying to climb a slick pole, so when I read this, I just wondered. I know most here are in maintenance, so I dunno if it would be worth a shot to see.

Whadayathink?
Give it a shot...maybe your body needs the extra calories to ignite.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissa View Post
Hope, I think you could be right, 1000 calories is very little long term. I am so sorry that you are 'going' though I do understand. I really hope to see you here posting often and keeping us up to date with your new plan.
Thanks Cindy!

I love lowcarbfriends...there is help and support everywhere!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
Okay, I admit, I've read this twice and my head just goes loopy because I can't follow it - but a question popped into my head. My JB's know how achingly slow my losses are, so I was wondering if 5:2 might work better for me? My metabolism is as slow as a snail trying to climb a slick pole, so when I read this, I just wondered. I know most here are in maintenance, so I dunno if it would be worth a shot to see.

Whadayathink?
I agree with Route 66. I was sort of surprised to see that my avg daily intake is only 950 cals. That is too low! My losses have been sluggish for the last 8 months, but when I went into maintenance during this period at different times, I lost more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post

For the rest of the month I am eating intuitively, at least trying... And counting calories at the end of the day. I need to refuel - my body was screaming for fuel, and I finally listened.

5:2 seems to be going very well for those participating and posting. I will experiment a bit more once I feel more "stable". For now I am staying off the scale...which is pretty scary in itself.
I am feeling so much better. The fog has lifted
I think you are doing the right thing! I began eating nutritionally. No more fluff or junk while eating in the window. I noticed immediately that once I ate the right food, I do not have crazy cravings at the oddest late night hours...
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammyann
Stats: 162/140.5/maintain 135-139
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012 re-start Dec. 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalestepper View Post
Hi to all, I'd like to join in.
I saw one of your posts Tuesday, began reading and I believe I can do this. I have much to learn, but I'm excited. I've figured my numbers and weighed this morning and was down l.8 lbs after being op 2 days. Thanks for all you share!
Sammyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #186
Senior LCF Member

After my second DD this week I'm down 1lb at 136.

Good luck to all thinking of giving 5:2 a shot. I'm maintaining easily with it even though I stopped counting calories on my UD's. I don't think I'm going to loose with 5:2 after coming from JUDDD but I hope those of you wanting to have success. I think I might loose a little more if I started counting calories again.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" Goal:140
WOE: IF 16/8 & 4:3
Hope, you're wise to take time off from IF to refuel your body. I don't know how you did it for over 9 mos. I felt like I needed a brake after 8 wks. both times that I've attempted ADF with JUDDD. By the 6th week each time, something happens with me physically & mentally, where by I start getting crazy carb. cravings and binging episodes. Then the insomnia begins & irritability with major mood swings. My TOM was already irregular and had missed months at a time in the past year, but in this last six weeks...I've gotten it 3 times already.

As I've mentioned before, to me the benefits of IF are not worth the risks of hormonal imbalance, after reading that Paleo for women article we've discussed on the JUDDD forum previously. IF/Women/Hormones The last paragraph of that article sums it up entirely, that we each need to have our health as a priority and to ultimately choose what is best to nurture and care for ourselves. "We women (people!) should be honest with ourselves about our priorities, and act constantly with our mental and physical health foremost in our minds."

Best Wishes on your continued journey for your health, happiness and well being. Peace be with you ~ Ann

Last edited by SlimNana; 02-08-2013 at 06:20 AM..
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM   #188
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/124/126 5'3" Age 66
WOE: JUDDD/5:2
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Well I was just okay with my weigh in today 126.4.

I have been 125 ish on my Friday weigh ins lately, but I am not worried, just aware...
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #189
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
My losses have been sluggish for the last 8 months, but when I went into maintenance during this period at different times, I lost more
I think this is interesting, too. But for those of us who can get a little obsessive and are good at restricting, staying to the low end of the cals EOD is probably not the best thing.

At the same time, I think, it is the reason JUDD is successful for so many people - mostly because "restricting" on UD is not part of the plan. They don't count on UD or they count, but really eat up to their true # of UD cals, or they have an UUAD once in a while, which ultimately regulates the weekly calorie average.

After so much dogma for so many years about less cals to lose weight, it is hard to trust that more is better in certain scenarios.

Thanks for the replies - totally great to hear others experiences!!
route66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimNana View Post
Hi Vanilla, I figure it can't hurt to give it a try. What do we have to lose by trying, except maybe some stubborn weight that we weren't losing doing ADF. This plan could very likely turn out to be a better fit for some of us now that are still wanting to lose, or some others as an intro. to IF, or for others who are already at goal to use for maintenance. I'm just so relieved there's an alternative when and if we need one, so we can keep on keeping on IF for the long term benefits.

Best wishes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirasMom View Post
I'm in the "it can't hurt to give it a try" camp too. Worst case, it doesn't work and you go back to alternating. Best case, it's just what your body wants and you lose like crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
Give it a shot...maybe your body needs the extra calories to ignite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I agree with Route 66. I was sort of surprised to see that my avg daily intake is only 950 cals. That is too low! My losses have been sluggish for the last 8 months, but when I went into maintenance during this period at different times, I lost more
Thanks so much for all the input, ladies! I may just start tomorrow (an UD) but begin trying to eat more intuitively, and use Monday and Thursdays as my DDs.

I'm tempted to get Kate's book as well as one I heard about in the PG - "Eat What You Love, Love What You Eat" onto my Kindle. But, I've got 4-5 books at home on ditching diets and eating intuitively. Don't know if it's worth it since I'm still here!!

Thanks again, I guess I can give it a week or two to see what happens.

vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Today is weigh-in for me: 116 - lost 2 #

I count calories and my average was ud - 1609 & dd - 585. I was trying to have them be 1500 and 500, but .

What are you all doing today? I am making cracked wheat bread, just put 4 loafs in the oven, my mixer died so it was all by hand and all from scratch!

Have a super great weekend everyone!

Just love this thread too!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Vanilla, as I recall you broke a stall and lost some when you upped your UD calories back before the surgery. I think 5:2 is a great idea for you!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #193

Nancy I love that new Avatar photo! I wish I was your IRL friend too.

Nilla, give 5:2 a go, why not? I think it encourages a more intuitive style of eating on "UDs" I even call them Normal Days now.

Great news Leona,
Old 02-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonak View Post
Today is weigh-in for me: 116 - lost 2 #

I count calories and my average was ud - 1609 & dd - 585. I was trying to have them be 1500 and 500, but .

What are you all doing today? I am making cracked wheat bread, just put 4 loafs in the oven, my mixer died so it was all by hand and all from scratch!

Have a super great weekend everyone!

Just love this thread too!

I'm coming to your house for bread!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyann View Post

I'm coming to your house for bread!
Great, you are more then welcome! It was so good, had 4 slices with butter, one while rather warm and 3 for dinner!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Regained 4.2 lbs. since Thur., so back to 150 lbs.

For now, I'm giving up on IF until more research studies are done. In the meantime, I'll be doing BFFM - Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle.

Take care all & peace be with you. ~ Ann
Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #197

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Ann. Keep us posted on how you're doing with BFFM!

161.4 this morning. Maintaining and even losing a small amount with 5:2. Loving it so far!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

Ann, I'm sorry 5:2 hasn't worked out for you. I hope you are very successful with your new plan.

Keira'sMom, I'm glad its working so well for you.

I'm still struggling with trusting 5:2 to maintain even though it is working beautifully for me. Because I can't seem to trust it yet, I decided to do 3 DD's this week.

I almost wonder if weighing daily is making it harder for me to see that it is working. I'm not sure I can stop weighing daily though. Every time I have, I've gained weight. Maybe if I just write down my after DD wieghts and not record the others.

My after DD 5:2 weigh-ins.
1/26---137
1/29---136.5
2/1----137
2/5----137
2/8----136
2/11---136.5
Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #199
Senior LCF Member

Thanks ladies for your well wishes.

Dawn, you are doing terrific using 5:2 as a maintenance tool, as you did amazingly well with ADF & JUDDD! Sammy & Cindy too.

My main issue with doing IF personally, is that I'm finding that these last 10 lbs. of body fat that I'm struggling to lose is drastically effecting my overall muscle tone. I was even willing to try and accept the 2-4 lbs. of weight fluctuations I experience with IF and learn to stay off the scale, but over this last week since I had my 3rd TOM in 7 wks. - I noticed a big difference in muscle loss and I'm now looking flabbier again than I have since rehab, like I had been prior to my hip surgery in Sept. when totally sedentary for yrs. I feel like I wasted all those months working so hard to rebuild muscle through rehab, to just lose it in the last couple of months of doing IF. This has convinced me to return to BFFM in attempt to regain my muscles again while working out, and then retain them while trying to lose my remaining body fat before this summer. I'm planning to join a 7 wk. spring challenge that's starting this week on the BFFM inner circle website to help give me a jumpstart.

I'll check back with you all in a couple of months to see how everyone's doing with their maintenance & the goal clothing size challenge on the JUDDD thread.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Vanilla, as I recall you broke a stall and lost some when you upped your UD calories back before the surgery. I think 5:2 is a great idea for you!
Quote:
Nilla, give 5:2 a go, why not? I think it encourages a more intuitive style of eating on "UDs" I even call them Normal Days now.
Well, let me tell you what happened this weekend and see if I should still give it a shot. Friday's DD turned into more of a MD day (unexpected dinner out) and Saturday morning's weigh-in had me at a new low (on this JUDDD journey anyway). I didn't weight yesterday morning (Sunday) but when I weighed today, the dreaded bounce was lower than it has been.

So, maybe I should wait a bit? Kissa, the reason you pointed out was one of the reasons why I was thinking of switching. Also, yes, Nancy, I did begin losing when I found I wasn't eating to my UD calories. So maybe I tend to eat more "normally" on an UD and 5:2 would work better.

I'm so confused now!!!! One more factor I'm thinking about. I had gone to a M/W/F Down Day, T/Thurs/S Up Day and Sunday being a MD, which I know wasn't good being followed by a DD. Being that Friday turned into a MD followed by Saturday's UD, maybe I should try that rotation, because I really like Saturday being an UD.

Gah! If you've followed this and even remotely followed my train of thought - I applaud you! Maybe I'll give the new rotation one more week and see what happens.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #201

Erm, I think I understand. Try what ever suits you best, nothing is written in stone.

My DD today hasn't been ideal, but I think I am under 500. Bit nervous about tomorrow's weigh in.

I am going to Istanbul on Friday until the following Tuesday, so I would like to see a nice low number before I go. I may throw in another DD on Wednesday and then eat lightly on Thursday and enjoy the big dinner we are invited to on the Friday... Not yet decided.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #202
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Erm, I think I understand. Try what ever suits you best, nothing is written in stone.

My DD today hasn't been ideal, but I think I am under 500. Bit nervous about tomorrow's weigh in.

I am going to Istanbul on Friday until the following Tuesday, so I would like to see a nice low number before I go. I may throw in another DD on Wednesday and then eat lightly on Thursday and enjoy the big dinner we are invited to on the Friday... Not yet decided.
Just be sure you watch out for the cars. Make sure the driver can see you if you are crossing in front or back of a car!

I just had 2 more surgeries last week on my elbow. One was planned, the second one was to stop excessive bleeding! All seems OK now. We do love Turkey, though, and Istanbul is fascinating.

Have fun!
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #203

Yes, Seabreezes, after you horrendous experience I was thinking it would be wise to take extra care.

I am sorry you needed the extra surgery on your elbow to stop the bleeding.

I was there over 20 years ago and I am guessing things have changed al to. We are there with friends to celebrate his 50th (so young). I am really looking forward to it.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #204

Well I have decided to enjoy todays ND then have another DD tomorrow. On Thursday I will eat 'lightly', sort of what Dr J would call a Medium day. I am attending a wedding that day where my DD1 (the one with Down's) is a bridesmaid but I won't be staying for the meal. I am sure I will enjoy a glass or 2 of champagne though...

On Friday I fly to Istanbul and will enjoy the day however it pans out. Sometimes I feel like eating when I travel and sometimes I don't.

Next DD will be on the Tuesday I fly back OR on the Wednesday... I love this freedom and lack of guilt.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #205
Senior LCF Member

Have a great trip, Cindy!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:24 AM   #206

I intend to! Thanks.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #207

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/151/135??, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
Cindy, have a great time!
Sea! I'm sorry you're still dealing with surgeries. I wish you the speediest of recoveries.

163.4 this morning. That's a two pound bounce from yesterday morning. I'm not worried about it. Today's a DD, then Friday will be another DD, then we'll be at Disneyland for 3 days. I intend to be mindful, but not too strict about my food choices.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:31 AM   #208

It is amazing isn't it that we can plan these vacations with such ease.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 AM   #209
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scalestepper
Stats: 247/190.2/less
WOE: 5:2/IF:16/8/ lc
Start Date: Atkins- 9/9/12
Good morning!

Checking back in..Thanks for the welcomes!

Here are my totals for my first week on 5:2.

February 5 - 12/2013 - First 5:2 Week, down 1.8 lbs

Totals - Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sugar

Fast Day - Tuesday 591 11 29 63 3 3
Wednesday 697 7 51 41 16 4
Thursday 1,715 21 130 72 6 10
Friday 1,364 34 109 63 1 13
Saturday 1,252 19 101 56 8 10
Fast Day - Sunday 401 5 28 26 5 2, didn't eat until dinner
Monday 1,575 26 123 84 6 4
Fasting is new to me, I think I can do this 5:2.
Thank you for sharing it!

Atkins- 9/9/12 to 2/5/13 (247 to 228.6 -18.4lbs)
5:2/IF/lc -2/5/13 through today -38.4 lbs
Total loss to date - 56.8
---------------
Cathy
scalestepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #210

It isn't as tough as people expect at all is it? Nice loss Scalestepper.