Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #331
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Librarygirl
Stats: HW 207/(JUDDD) 198/CW 172/GW 150 5'4 49 yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Low calorie 6/12 ; Low carb 9/12/ ; JUDDD 11/13/12
Linda, I haven't read 5:2, but I thought we could do 2 DDs whenever we wanted each week. That's what I've been doing, with no set (down) days...
Librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SlimNana
Stats: Age 55 5'6" 160/140
WOE: IF 16/8
That's correct. Any 2 non-consecutive days a week can be fasting days on the 5:2 IF plan - FastDiet.

Hope to see you all over on the other thread!

Ann
SlimNana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #333
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Marmariposa
Stats: 147/144.4/119 5'2.5"
WOE: 5:2
Start Date: February 25, 2013
Ann --

There's another thread???

Marmar
Marmariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #334
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarygirl View Post
Linda, I haven't read 5:2, but I thought we could do 2 DDs whenever we wanted each week. That's what I've been doing, with no set (down) days...
Yes, you are correct but I have made Monday and Thursday my SDs/DDs so I needed to change that this week for the Thursday night dinner out with friends. My concern is having only 1 SD/DD in-between 6 RD/UDs. Just don't want to undo the progress I'm making with my set schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmariposa View Post
Ann --

There's another thread???

Marmar
5/2 - March 3 - 9, stop on in everyone!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #335

I'm gaining and losing the same pounds minus .6 since starting this WOE and I'm not encouraged today at all!!

I am counting everything again, UDs too, and THIS is NOT what I wanted to do! I just don't get it!

If I wasn't so afraid of the binging that JUDDD brings on I would be back there in a heart beat!

Something has got to give!

I'm thinking maybe a DD and then 2 UDs and so on? Just don't know anymore!!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #336
Big Yapper!!!!

I've resisted too, Linda. The sad fact is that losing weight is hard work. I have finally decided that I will absolutely *have* to count my UDs in order to lose any significant amount. I also will not be able to go up and over 2000 every UD and see any kind of results. I am tired of wishing and hoping, so now I've got to do the work.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #337
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/119/115-120
WOE: BTD/JUDDD/HDE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I'm gaining and losing the same pounds minus .6 since starting this WOE and I'm not encouraged today at all!!

I am counting everything again, UDs too, and THIS is NOT what I wanted to do! I just don't get it!

If I wasn't so afraid of the binging that JUDDD brings on I would be back there in a heart beat!

Something has got to give!

I'm thinking maybe a DD and then 2 UDs and so on? Just don't know anymore!!
Linda- have you considered doing regular JUDD rotation with higher DD calories, like 800 cal? Or perhaps doing 3 DD a week with higher calories. Just a thought...
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Linda- have you considered doing regular JUDD rotation with higher DD calories, like 800 cal? Or perhaps doing 3 DD a week with higher calories. Just a thought...
I did JUDDD with 700 DDs and 1700 UDs from the very beginning. Then I got burned out, stopped counting UDs and I did 3 DDs a week toward the end of my JUDDD journey.

I binged every single UD! It was not pretty and it took several months to get rid of an eating disorder I had NEVER had in my life! I just can't take the risk of this again. I also proved that JUDDD WAS the issue when I had stopped JUDDDing last April after realizing I now had a terrible binging issue and it took until Dec to get that monster away. THEN I decided to do JUDDD again in Jan and within 2 weeks I was binging again, worse than before!

I wish I could go back, but I'm totally sure I can't and that is very to me because I lost so well on JUDDD!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #339
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/119/115-120
WOE: BTD/JUDDD/HDE
Quote:
I did JUDDD with 700 DDs and 1700 UDs from the very beginning. Then I got burned out, stopped counting UDs and I did 3 DDs a week toward the end of my JUDDD journey.

I binged every single UD! It was not pretty and it took several months to get rid of an eating disorder I had NEVER had in my life! I just can't take the risk of this again. I also proved that JUDDD WAS the issue when I had stopped JUDDDing last April after realizing I now had a terrible binging issue and it took until Dec to get that monster away. THEN I decided to do JUDDD again in Jan and within 2 weeks I was binging again, worse than before!

I wish I could go back, but I'm totally sure I can't and that is very to me because I lost so well on JUDDD!
Sorry to hear that, Linda. I was just thinking out loud. You know I also struggle with binging, so I am trying to figure this out myself, as well. It is not easy but I am sure we will find that sweet spot. We just have to keep on trying.

I am sure it is frustrating to see the scale not move too much, but I think if your binging is under control, this alone is a great success. It is the question of maybe tweaking the carbs or adjusting calories, perhaps.
I have noticed if I stick to low carb I can do JUDD without too many binging days. I know that once I start eating fruits, nuts and honey and I am bound for a binge. The challenge is to be able to eat these foods one day. I hope I can learn how to eat them in moderation. For the time being, I have decided to stay away from them as much as I can.

ETA: maybe give it more time to 5:2. How long have you been following it?

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html

Last edited by tobelowcarber; 03-05-2013 at 08:49 AM..
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #340
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Sorry to hear that, Linda. I was just thinking out loud. You know I also struggle with binging, so I am trying to figure this out myself, as well. It is not easy but I am sure we will find that sweet spot. We just have to keep on trying.

I am sure it is frustrating to see the scale not move too much, but I think if your binging is under control, this alone is a great success. It is the question of maybe tweaking the carbs or adjusting calories, perhaps.
I have noticed if I stick to low carb I can do JUDD without too many binging days. I know that once I start eating fruits, nuts and honey and I am bound for a binge. The challenge is to be able to eat these foods one day. I hope I can learn how to eat them in moderation. For the time being, I have decided to stay away from them as much as I can.

ETA: maybe give it more time to 5:2. How long have you been following it?
This sounds so frustrating for you, Linda. I know you used to be an avid low-carber, so I wonder if it might work for you to combine 5:2 and lower carbs (perhaps unlimited non-starchy veggies on RDs, and measured, reasonable quantities of meat, dairy, berries, and starchier veggies). A lower-carb Primal or paleo, perhaps, on both your 5:2 rotations?

Or perhaps the Whole30 month might be worth checking out (again, within whatever framework of intermittent fasting/5:2/etc you like best). On the paleo board here, a lot of people seem to be finding that structure really helpful.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
This sounds so frustrating for you, Linda. I know you used to be an avid low-carber, so I wonder if it might work for you to combine 5:2 and lower carbs (perhaps unlimited non-starchy veggies on RDs, and measured, reasonable quantities of meat, dairy, berries, and starchier veggies). A lower-carb Primal or paleo, perhaps, on both your 5:2 rotations?

Or perhaps the Whole30 month might be worth checking out (again, within whatever framework of intermittent fasting/5:2/etc you like best). On the paleo board here, a lot of people seem to be finding that structure really helpful.
Hi Tiva! I am interested in hearing about this. Can you point me in the right direction for information about this?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #342
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: smardie
Stats: 250/245/215
WOE: 5.12
Start Date: 3/5/2013
New and ready to give this a go

Have been trying not to do any kind of diet and just watching what I eat for the past two years and it has been pretty much a fail.

Before , I have had good success with Atkins, but never can stick with it long term, too restrictive.

My wife tried JUDD two years ago and did very well on, but I struggled with the every other day and gave up on it in about week.

This plan looks more doable , so we both decided to start today.

My starting weight is 242.5

Today, I am going to eat just under 600 calories.

Is that the right amount of calories for a man ?

I think we are going to use tuesdays and Thursdays as our down days.

Thanks for the support.

Mark
smardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #343
Big Yapper!!!!

Mark! I haven't read the 5:2 book, but it's all about finding your daily caloric needs for the weight you are now, and adjusting to 20-25% weight loss, then finding out how much you need each day to get a daily average that will be in WLM (weight-loss mode). Yes, I think 600 calories on DD (down days) is very good for men...

Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable about the numbers can chime in here.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #344
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
600 calories is the recommended starting point for men. You should do great Mark!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #345
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Beeb, I can't post the links to the Whole30 program since the website does have some advertising. But if you google Whole30program (run together as one word), you'll find a lot of useful information. I've never done this (I love my dairy and wine!).

Briefly, the idea is for one month, you go on a clean eating program to help shed compulsive cravings, binging behaviors, and unhealthy relationship to food. This means:

YES to: real food-meat, fish, eggs, veggies, berries, healthy fats, moderate servings of other fruits & nuts

NO to:
-no sugar of any kind, and no alternative sugars (even stevia!)
-no alcohol
-no grains
-no legumes except for green beans and sugar snaps
-no dairy (except for clarified butter or ghee)
-no carrageenan, MSG or sulfites.
-no white potatoes.
-no Paleo-ifying dessert or junk food choices
-no weighing or measuring for 30 days
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #346
Big Yapper!!!!

Tiva, that sounds like it would work. It also sounds like a lot of sacrafice lol. If I could eat like that, I bet I would never have a weight problem again. Maybe one day.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #347
Junior LCF Member

I'm happy to report that I lost 1.6 pounds since starting the 5:2 WOE 10 days ago. I'm only going to weigh myself once a week, after the second fast day, at least for the beginning. I started this during a crazy time, with my husband still in the hospital, and I did go a little crazy last week on a few of the Feast Days with popcorn and ice cream but in the meantime was able to reel myself back in control and so far am finding this quite manageable. I'm a little confused about all the JUDD references. I'm not familiar with that WOE and wonder if there's a board that's solely focused on 5:2. If not, I'll be content to stay here and thanks again for all the support.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #348

Quote:
I'm happy to report that I lost 1.6 pounds since starting the 5:2 WOE 10 days ago. I'm only going to weigh myself once a week, after the second fast day, at least for the beginning. I started this during a crazy time, with my husband still in the hospital, and I did go a little crazy last week on a few of the Feast Days with popcorn and ice cream but in the meantime was able to reel myself back in control and so far am finding this quite manageable. I'm a little confused about all the JUDD references. I'm not familiar with that WOE and wonder if there's a board that's solely focused on 5:2. If not, I'll be content to stay here and thanks again for all the support.
JUDDD has its own board here on LCF, but 5:2 doesn't (yet). JUDDD is pretty much just 5:2 but alternating fast days. Up Day then Down Day then Up Day, etc. So when you see UD/DD, that's what they're talking about. Many of us came to 5:2 from JUDDD.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #349

Posted on JUDDD's 5:2 thread but thought I would post it here, too.

Well, today should have been a DD but I switched things up a bit because of dinner out with friends. Weighed in today at 155.8, up 2.6 pounds since Tuesday's weigh in after a DD.

Been doing a lot of "observation" in the last 3 days and this is what I have found:

Day 1 after a DD is a low hunger day and I could care less if I eat or not UNTIL I start to eat, then I have to pull myself into not over eating.

Day 2 after a DD I'm in almost binging mode again and REALLY have to watch or I just eat and eat! I think my head is telling my body to prepare for the "hunger day" ahead again like it did when I did JUDDD.

Day 3 (today which should be a DD) I'm not hunger at all, as if it was a DD. Since today is suppose to be a DD that makes sense to me because my body understands the up and down during this time every week now.

The same things happen when F/S/S are UDs and Monday is the usual DD. I eat as Day 1 and 2 as above but then on Day 3 (Sunday) I'm eating the paint off the walls again, binging behavior lurking right below the surface!

Maybe IF of any kind (JUDDD, 5:2, 8 Hour Diet, etc.) is just NOT for me! I love it, too but it just causes so many food head issues for me. And they don't kick in until about 3 to 4 weeks into a WOE now. With JUDDD it took months, but now it's right away but not so immediately that I can catch it and correct it. By the time the binging starts to try to come to the surface I'm frustrated, disgusted and scared of this cycle starting all over again that I have battled since last April!

I'm taking a break, just eating when I'm hungry and trying to listen to my body "clues" that tell me what to eat, or drink or not to do either. AND I'm NOT going to push pass that "I'm full" point because when I do I set myself up for an eating frenzy!!

Will see what happens, but still sticking around to see how you guys are doing!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #350
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

I'm taking a break, just eating when I'm hungry and trying to listen to my body "clues" that tell me what to eat, or drink or not to do either. AND I'm NOT going to push pass that "I'm full" point because when I do I set myself up for an eating frenzy!!

Will see what happens, but still sticking around to see how you guys are doing!
Best of luck Linda. I too deal with binge tendencies.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kel7298
Stats: Maintenance
Start Date: October 2011
I'm sure you will figure it out Linda. Identifying the problem in the first place was huge!! I've been doing 5:2 for a while now, maintenance, so far so good, though I don't always stick to the 500 numbers.
kel7298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Average weight loss on 5:2 is 1lb per week

From the 5:2 FastDiet forum (uk)

Average weight loss on 5:2 is 1lb per week
by carorees » 08 Mar 2013, 13:52

"We have now been collecting data on our progress tracker for over 2 months, with nearly 1500 people contributing, and have some interesting results that can give you an indication of how much weight you can expect to lose on 5:2.

Key points:
* The weekly loss is generally small...around 1lb per week (data from 842 users).
* Some people lose a lot of weight in the first week but then plateau so that after a month or so, such that the weight loss still works out at 1lb per week.
* Some people are lucky and have managed to lose more
* Some people are unlucky and have lost less
* People whose BMI is already in the healthy range are more likely to lose more slowly (around 0.75lb/week)
* People whose BMI is high are more likely to lose quickly (around 1.75-2lb per week)
* Men lose weight faster (1.4lb per week) than women (1lb per week)

For people who choose to fast more often:
* The weekly loss doing 4:3 is pretty much the same as with 5:2 at around 1lb per week (55 users)
* The weekly loss doing ADF is a little bit higher at around 1.2 lb per week (11 users)"
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #353
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
My weekly loss was a four pound gain so I guess I would skew their results for weightloss. I jumped ship quickly back to EOD which has worked and still works for me. The old saying about sounding too good to be true was true for me.

Good luck to all that are maintaining and/or losing on 5:2. I am also thinking it might have worked if I had not already spent the last year doing EOD fasting. BUT EOD is a habit for me so trying 5:2 for a week was confusing to me and I never really enjoyed it. I was always worrying about eating too much and then the DD's became miserable since I wanted to keep doing UD's. Silly mind games.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #354
Senior LCF Member

That makes sense Adi, since they're not taking into consideration what WOE was being followed prior to 5:2. For instance if someone is coming off of VLC or Atkins, then they would most likely gain at least a few lbs. in the first week, because of regaining previously lost water weight.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:16 AM   #355
Junior LCF Member

Today was my weekly weigh-in and I remained exactly the same as last week. I did expect to lose at least a little but I am short, older (almost 65) and probably need to adjust both my DD and UDs downward. I did not go crazy overboard eating in the previous week but I think I do have room to pull in the reins some more without feeling deprivation. The one majorly good benefit of this WOE though is that in the past, on South Beach or Jenny Craig, when I had what I thought was a good week with no loss I felt so angry that I would immediately want to binge. But now I don't feel that way at all. I feel rational and kind of appreciative that I never felt a moment of deprivation in the previous week.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 AM   #356

That's a great observation Mar, and one that I think is very important to the sustainability of this kind of lifestyle. I'm always amazed at a week where I maintain with only a couple of fasting days. Even after nearly two months, it still seems unbelievable to me.

I'm stuggling with trying to decide if I want to lose another 5 - 10 pounds. I'm really happy with my weight and the way I look and feel, but I'm NOT happy with my tummy. Lately, I've been thinking another 10 pounds would make my tummy shrink, but then I have to remind myself that, short of surgery, after my nearly 120 pounds lost, it's not going to shrink too much more. Ah, the demons of maintenance!

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #357

Gallery: Kissa
Stats: 184/137/126 5'3" Age 67
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/25/2014
Start Date: 2001 Atkins -50 2011 JUDDD - 10
Quote:
Today was my weekly weigh-in and I remained exactly the same as last week. I did expect to lose at least a little but I am short, older (almost 65) and probably need to adjust both my DD and UDs downward. I did not go crazy overboard eating in the previous week but I think I do have room to pull in the reins some more without feeling deprivation. The one majorly good benefit of this WOE though is that in the past, on South Beach or Jenny Craig, when I had what I thought was a good week with no loss I felt so angry that I would immediately want to binge. But now I don't feel that way at all. I feel rational and kind of appreciative that I never felt a moment of deprivation in the previous week.
Mar. I am your age, well okay, a year older, lol, but near enough, and around the same height. I was just under 140 when I first started JUDDD and I felt much the same as you describe. But with 5:2 it is even better isn't it?

Got to love that rational feeling.

Oh Dawn, what a dilemma Who'd have dreamt we'd be here chatting about another 10lbs loss, all those months ago when you first began this journey. I can't offer advice but if you just keep doing what you are doing the answer may just happen.

It is sad that our bodies won't be like they were before we piled on the weight. But by golly they are whole lot better than they could be.

Embrace a little hunger. It is the sign of healing.

Relax, rotate, reduce, rejoice.

Down Days are the cement that hold JUDDD together.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ack-juddd.html
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #358
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/113.5/110-114
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
Good Morning All!

Today is weigh-in for me: Stayed the same! Of course I wanted to see a loss, but am happy I did not see a gain!
leonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #359
Senior LCF Member

GMA interview with Dr. Mosley

Link to the new GMA interview.
'Fast Diet' Creator Discusses Controversial Methods on 'GMA'

The recipes.
'The Fast Diet': Recipes for Low-Calorie Meals | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Last edited by SlimNana; 03-19-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Dr. Michael Mosley: "The Fast Diet" | The Diane Rehm Show from WAMU and NPR