Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Chris Powell: Chose to Lose (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/794039-chris-powell-chose-lose.html)

Mick6 01-09-2013 07:13 AM

Chris Powell: Chose to Lose

I'm just curious if anyone else is doing this carb cycling plan. I just started it today.

Mick6 01-09-2013 09:23 AM

The plan cycles low carb (low cal 1200) days with high carb( higher cal 1500) days with a free day once a week.

munecagirl22 01-09-2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micksgonepb (Post 16183451)
The plan cycles low carb (low cal 1200) days with high carb( higher cal 1500) days with a free day once a week.

hello yes iam on this just started as well i have been a member on this site for a while but seen thos on oz and went out got the book this plan is much easier for me as i can have a day off and eat out on the weekend well sunday.. for me and it helps a lot but keeps me a lot stricter during the week then i would have normally been just on a regular low carb.. how are you doing i need to loose over 150lbs..

bocabon 01-19-2013 05:08 PM

Hi All, I am definitely interested in following this. Downloaded the book, saw him on Dr. Oz and waiting for the printed book.
Would love any additional info too. Thanks.
Bonni

DesertGurl 06-06-2013 04:44 PM

Anybody doing this? I got his new book and am currently half way through. Will probably begin in all seriousness next week some time as soon as I figure out what the entire plan entails. Would love a group for support if we can get it together! So far I have loved what I've read! :)

onceNforall 06-09-2013 03:45 PM

I'm reading his book too and want to start! Think I'll try to start tomorrow with a low carb day....as I certainly have had my share of carbs today!! :hyst:

Beeb 06-10-2013 08:36 PM

Does anyone know if it says anywhere in the book whether this is OK to do for those of us with binging problems?

I would love to find something I can do to lose weight without triggering my binging! :(

Thanks for the info!!

onceNforall 06-11-2013 12:55 PM

Well, making it through my first low/carb day....of course it's not over yet! :laugh: I think the key to all of this is planning and preparation (guess that's probably the key to any successful WOE). Made my grocery list and bought all my approved protein/carbs/veggies and logged everything into my online calculator and came out at 1215 calories.

I read his first book, so don't know if he gave recommended amounts of carbs, fats, proteins in his second book or not...I only saw guidelines for calories. Does anyone know?

Beeb....didn't see anything mentioned about whether recommended for those with bingeing problems or not.

KOO 06-11-2013 01:35 PM

Is that the plan he has the people on for the year when he works with them on the show?

onceNforall 06-11-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KOO (Post 16466182)
Is that the plan he has the people on for the year when he works with them on the show?

I believe so. What a cute grandbaby you have!!

KOO 06-11-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onceNforall (Post 16466360)
I believe so. What a cute grandbaby you have!!

Thank you, Zoe is my sweetie!:love:

Beeb 06-11-2013 07:54 PM

I'm a little confused by what is said on his website. Here is what it says:

While each plan has a different mix of high-carb and low-carb days, each day works basically the same:

Eat five meals—no more, no less.
Eat a high-carb breakfast that includes both protein and carbs within 30 minutes of waking.
Eat your remaining 4 meals—either high-carb or low-carb, depending on the plan you’re following—every 3 hours.
Choose approved foods (Sign up here to receive a FREE printable food guide!)
Drink a gallon of water.

So my question is this; If we have a Low Carb day do we still eat a high carb breakfast or am I misunderstanding this? To my thinking if it's a LC day why are we starting it with a HC meal? :dunno: And also, how big are these 4 other meals suppose to be? I'm assuming small or it could be a free for all with 5 large meals a day!! :stars:

Beeb 06-11-2013 08:14 PM

My Reply To My Binging Question and This WOE....

I wrote an email asking about whether this could be another WOE that will set me up for binging and here is my answer, rather quickly too! I'm impressed with the speedy reply I got! :high5: Here is the email:

Hi Linda,

Thanks for taking the time to write to Chris. With his busy schedule he has had to add a support team to help answer some of his email. With that said, I do hope I can help share some of the hope and motivation he has for you.

Although Chris' plan is set up to help you control your emotional eating by allowing reward days or meals there is no guarantee that you will not binge. One great way to start is to use the easy cycle to allow you those cheat meals more often and stave off emotional eating or binge. You might also want to check into a support group in your area. Overeaters Anonymous is a great option and has groups that meet all over.
We believe in you,
Alyssa
Team Powell

onceNforall 06-12-2013 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16466649)
I'm a little confused by what is said on his website. Here is what it says:

While each plan has a different mix of high-carb and low-carb days, each day works basically the same:

Eat five meals—no more, no less.
Eat a high-carb breakfast that includes both protein and carbs within 30 minutes of waking.
Eat your remaining 4 meals—either high-carb or low-carb, depending on the plan you’re following—every 3 hours.
Choose approved foods (Sign up here to receive a FREE printable food guide!)
Drink a gallon of water.

So my question is this; If we have a Low Carb day do we still eat a high carb breakfast or am I misunderstanding this? To my thinking if it's a LC day why are we starting it with a HC meal? :dunno: And also, how big are these 4 other meals suppose to be? I'm assuming small or it could be a free for all with 5 large meals a day!! :stars:

He does recommend a HC breakfast everyday....gives your metabolism the boost it needs. I would recommend getting either of his books from the library to start with....lots of good info and I think really essential to have a clear understanding of the whole program. He covers portion sizes, approved food list, exercise plan and sample menus which are really helpful. I have read his first book and now want to read the second.

DesertGurl 06-12-2013 09:21 AM

Well, hello ladies! :)

So happy to see some interest here. Today I am beginning my first day..kinda off to a sketchy start :stars:... I didn't wake up when I'd planned, for whatever reason I just could not get up! Kinda running behind the 8-ball already, and now I'm irritated by it all. :p I'm definitely NOT giving up already, that's for sure, just admitting that my start is not how it should've been. Oooopss!! :o

I posted this in my journal when I was beginning his book.. this is from his new book, Choose More, Lose More For Life. This is a glimpse of how the days are set up and what you'll be eating.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m...psc22b5467.jpg

The book offers alot of "thinking points"..it took me about a week to get through the book because I stopped and wrote down answers to the things he was asking, really trying to be honest and true as to WHY I want this..figuring that by taking the time to go through everything that is offered in the book instead of breezing through it & ignoring important talking points, may make a difference in my success.

onceNforall 06-12-2013 10:03 AM

I don't really think it matters too much what time of day you start, Danielle, as long as you're eating every 3 hours. I got a late start yesterday which meant I was eating my last meal at 9PM which probably isn't a good idea.

Did you start with a LC or HC day? I started yesterday and enjoying a HC day today. I planned my meals on MY PLATE and actually had to go back in and add some food to hit 1500 calories. One thing with this eating every 3 hours...you don't ever get hungry!

I haven't read his 2nd book yet, only the first and he doesn't address all the thinking points so much in that one....anxious to read the 2nd.

I am SOOOO hopeful that this WOE will be my solution to a life-long problem and quest. :aprayer: It certainly feels like it could easily be a lifestyle change (so far). :up:

Good luck with your first day! I'm feeling positive, even though I haven't incorporated the exercise part yet...need to get back to my water aerobics as I need a knee replacement and not capable of a lot of his exercises....am trying to move more though.

DesertGurl 06-12-2013 10:37 AM

I just hate the idea of eating so late..especially if I'll be going to bed near or around 10'ish.. 7 is prolly about the latest to get that last meal in, ideally.. Work in progress for sure! :)

I'm doing a HC day today because I made Friday's as my reward day..it fits my lifestyle better since that's the day we tend to go out the most.

My initial plan was to just eat whatever sounded good from the stuff I had prepped and ready to go..however, I am thinking that definitely planning every morsel is going to have to be the way of life from now on..

I've never read the 1st book so I've no clue what's in there. I like the prompts he has in this book, it's made me think of some things regarding why I constantly sabotage myself. This stuff will help me veer away and hopefully save me from going down that path anymore.

Oooo I would love to do water aerobics, sounds fun!!! :)

Beeb 06-13-2013 05:53 AM

At the end of the day and the bottom line, (to me) as in all diets/WOE changes it's about portion size and calories after all. :)

I may try my own version of this after I get the binge monster under control again. I can see me eating a small higher carb breakfast (because that has ALWAYS kept me full longer instead of fat and protein), and then another meal that is higher carb, either lunch or dinner but keep with all snacks as fruits, and most of these higher carb meals as veggies. :steak:

This^^^ is how I lost weight on South Beach and did very well but never embraced it as a life style change and THAT, to me, is the KEY to keeping the weight off! :up:

onceNforall 06-13-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beeb (Post 16468514)
At the end of the day and the bottom line, (to me) as in all diets/WOE changes it's about portion size and calories after all. :)

I may try my own version of this after I get the binge monster under control again. I can see me eating a small higher carb breakfast (because that has ALWAYS kept me full longer instead of fat and protein), and then another meal that is higher carb, either lunch or dinner but keep with all snacks as fruits, and most of these higher carb meals as veggies. :steak:

This^^^ is how I lost weight on South Beach and did very well but never embraced it as a life style change and THAT, to me, is the KEY to keeping the weight off! :up:

I think the key is to find a WOE that does work as a lifestyle for you. I think we're all different in that aspect. I know for myself, I don't deal well with deprivation....could never (and have never) do Atkins. WW has worked for me at times but never made it to goal....too many choices for my points and I can get led astray easily!! :dunno: Tried JUDD a few times but can't handle 500 cal DD's.

Carb cycling makes sense to me and I'm hoping it's the answer. Will give it a try for a month and see what happens. The key for me is not to throw in the towel and declare myself a "failure" if I have a little set back. Have sabotaged myself for years doing that and time is running out!! :eek:

Good luck with whatever WOE you choose, Linda!

onceNforall 06-13-2013 12:39 PM

Just watched the Meredith episode of EWL....what a tear jerker!! Can't get more motivating than that! I didn't realize she was from Rochester, NY...I'm from there too...so cool to recognize all the places they were. Now I've got to search online and see if I can find any follow-up info after her surgery.

Beeb 06-13-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onceNforall (Post 16468809)
I think the key is to find a WOE that does work as a lifestyle for you. I think we're all different in that aspect. I know for myself, I don't deal well with deprivation....could never (and have never) do Atkins. WW has worked for me at times but never made it to goal....too many choices for my points and I can get led astray easily!! :dunno: Tried JUDD a few times but can't handle 500 cal DD's.

Carb cycling makes sense to me and I'm hoping it's the answer. Will give it a try for a month and see what happens. The key for me is not to throw in the towel and declare myself a "failure" if I have a little set back. Have sabotaged myself for years doing that and time is running out!! :eek:

Good luck with whatever WOE you choose, Linda!

So interested in your journey and will be watching to see how you do and rooting for you! :jumpjoy: Thanks for the "good luck", too but right now I'm just working on the binging! :cry:

Casey 06-13-2013 05:49 PM

I tried JUDDD and carb cycling and it initiated an unusual binge cycle - very out of control and anxious. Too many carbs one day and too few calories the next. I no low carb / clean eating to keep blood sugar stabilized.

Beeb 06-13-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 16469529)
I tried JUDDD and carb cycling and it initiated an unusual binge cycle - very out of control and anxious. Too many carbs one day and too few calories the next. I no low carb / clean eating to keep blood sugar stabilized.

This is what I am afraid of! JUDDD did this to me SO bad and I'm still struggling with it! I can't even begin to think about trying something and unleashing that binge Monster in full force again!! Thanks for this post, I needed it to turn away from a slippery downfall! :hugs:

onceNforall 06-14-2013 05:33 AM

Well I am psyched! Started this new WOE on Tuesday and in three days have lost 5.5lb!! :jumpjoy: That's two LC days and one HC. I realize that is all water weight but I'll take it.

Certainly keeps me motivated!

onceNforall 06-14-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey (Post 16469529)

Casey....sorry you had the problems with JUDD and the carb cycling. I know I've heard that JUDD can do that. While Chris Powell doesn't believe in counting carbs or give recommended carb levels in his program (just goes by portion sizes and complex carbs) I have been keeping track on Daily Plate. So far my HC days have been around 200 and LC around 100 and calorie recommendations are 1500 for HC and 1200 for LC....so not the huge fluctuations like JUDD.

Our bodies are all so different, I think we have to find the plan that works for us. I'm glad you've found one that works for you. I'm still experimenting! :stars:

brainsgirl 06-15-2013 03:42 AM

I'm kinda confused.....can not seem to get my calories above 1200 on high carb days because I'm going not by my palm, etc,but rather by the 100 calorie portions he has in his book. For those of you that bumped up your food to get 1500, did you add mor carbs to get there? How important do you think it is to have that 1200 1500 calorie difference? I have about ten to twelve pounds I would like to lose . This is the end of my second week, and after having one cheat day last sat., am only down a pound. His book does say it may take time for your Body to adjust. I thought this would be a pretty big shock to my system since I haven't eaten some of these foods in years. Have to say I love looking forward to what I'm eating and feeling full.

onceNforall 06-15-2013 04:33 AM

Up a pound this morning after my HC day yesterday. I'm addicted to the scale as well as flour and sugar! :dunno: Actually am interested to see how my body reacts to my food choices and these LC and HC days. Planning a LC day today and then a "free" day tomorrow as we're entertaining for Father's Day.

I seem to have no difficulty on LC days at all but feel a bit more out of control on HC days. I'm a little nervous about a free day (hate to call it a cheat day) as I don't want to blow everything I've worked hard for this week. Not sure if I'm supposed to be eating every three hours tomorrow or not. Guess we'll test the waters and see what happens.

Anybody else out there trying this?

DesertGurl 06-15-2013 09:07 AM

He does usually get to questions on his FB page, but he's gotten extremely busy..he's had to hire a team of people to help answer questions and reply to email, etc. He's in the beginning stages of filming season 4 for his show so I'm sure he's not had time to see his page. You could also try Heidi's page as well, her's isn't quite so busy.

onceNforall 06-15-2013 09:24 AM

Thanks, Danielle! See you're gonna keep up with the 9 minute exercise portion....hey, together we'd have a complete plan as I haven't even attempted that yet! :hyst:

onceNforall 06-16-2013 05:30 AM

I did question Chris on FB about eating every 3 hours on your "cheat" day. He did respond that yes, maintain that schedule and just increase your calorie limit by 1000 calories so 2500 for that day instead of 1500. That wasn't in his first book, I don't believe, but haven't read the newest one yet.

Great to know you can ask a question and get such a prompt reply!!