Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2014, 07:59 AM   #151
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Yes, NSV's! I knew there was a word I was looking for but couldn't remember what it was LOL

I have a trainer friend who keeps telling me to throw my scale away. He says he hates having to deal with women who are obsessed with the numbers and he tells them to chuck it... and wants them to focus on their fitness goals and how they look visually. I wish I could throw it away, but I think I'd probably die from anxiety at not knowing

So, I'll opt to once a week. I'm picking Thursday's as "my day"...it's the morning after my last LC day of my week so it will be the truest weight from week-to-week..

Today's weigh-in has me up a pound from yesterday... but then, being a girl, and hormonal and all that...

I think there have been various threads for "cycling" in general but not necessarily Chris's program...I'm not sure how different any of it is, as I only know his plan. So maybe that's why we're kinda singled out here by our lonesome? Also, cycling can be tough and tedious for many...I know a lot of people who attempted it for a short while and then jumped ship when the scale didn't fly fast enough in the right direction So there ya go.... just us, I guess..

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Yes, there are a lot of variations on carb cycling. That's one thing that I find encouraging. I have found information on several websites. There might be minor variations in how low a "low" day is, or how "high" a high day is, how often to have a cheat meal, or cheat day. But overall, the consensus says that IT WORKS. I have yet to find a naysayer that says it's garbage or it doesn't work. So that's good.

This is going to sound really silly but in all the responses I've made to this thread I've yet to have a high day followed by a low day. That is, to CYCLE like I'm supposed to. That's pretty dumb of me. I'm going to start, SOON. I promise!

Low days will be like Atkins, as low as I can feasibly go. High days will be somewhat like Weight Watchers or calorie counting. Higher carbs, but with carbs I actually WANT to eat, low fat, high protein.

I know I'm going off script a bit, but I need to know what will happen just for my own satisfaction.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM   #153
Blabbermouth!!!

You'll start when you're ready to. You've been acquiring the things you need to feel comfortable to begin.... you'll get to it when you're ready to roll..

I'll be curious to see how you do with your own implementation! We sometimes have to tweak things in order to make them our own for a long, positive change. Good for you.

I've entered into the once-a-week-weigh-zone whether I've wanted to or not....DH has managed to hide the scale from (for?) me...

I can do this!!
Old 03-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the support! I really like this thread. I don't know why I can't seem to pick a plan and STICK WITH IT anymore. I am beginning to think "ignorance is bliss." When I started LC for the first time, yeah I made a LOT of mistakes. But I didn't even realize it. So I didn't worry about it and I still had success. Now that I've read more books on the subject, I recognize even the tiniest of mistakes. I over-analyze, self-criticize, get frustrated, and quit. But maybe that won't happen this time!

Good luck on your continued success! What do you do for exercise? I have TERRIBLE knees but I ignore them and do what I want anyway. I have always lifted weights and now I'm getting into Krav Maga. I can barely keep up at this weight (268) so I'm motivated to slim up.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #155
Blabbermouth!!!

I have a tendency to think too much about all of this. If I'm not careful it can easily derail me because I get too overwhelmed. I think all we can do is accept that we're human, mistakes will happen, and that it will all be ok in the end.....as long as we just keep going and not dwell on the negative.

I am learning to look at this experience as an entire journey. One that isn't going to necessarily end once I get to a particular number. I want to learn how to find fitness and truly enjoy it, as well as knowing that it's good for me. Right now, the idea of exercise seems incredibly daunting and scary, and so unattainable. For the last 5'ish months I've let that feeling keep me from really going for it in any regard. I just finally got tired of that feeling and just decided that I would do my best with what I could and gauge my progress accordingly....as long as I always continue to strive for more. One of the biggest reason why I'm trying to get away from daily weighing so that I can allow my thought process to grow in other ways.

Right now all I'm doing is either walking outdoors, dvd's and some hula hooping which I totally suck at The fact that I'm so bad at it is what is keeping me doing it, because I'm determined to prove that stupid thing wrong, that I CAN do it!
I ordered a fitness system from Jillian Michael's that should be here in a week... In the meantime I'll be saying my prayers that she doesn't kill me, and staying careful in that I don't hurt myself between now and then....world's worst klutz here!

Be careful with those knees! Krav whatta? I'm assuming that's some type of martial arts? I have no doubt you'll slim up quick...you men and your quick metabolisms!
Old 03-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Jillian can't kill you, that's what the "pause" button is for. Don't be afraid to use it. Trainers, whether in person or on TV seem to think they are the boss. They're not. YOU are in charge of your fitness, not them. That's just my 2 cents. Good luck working out with those videos. I'm sure they will help a lot.

Krav is a martial art...sort of. It's Israeli self defense. I've been wanting to take it for years. I finally got up the courage to go. It's good stuff. I wish my knees were better. I live an hour away so I only do it once a week. It's a great workout.

Good luck with your diet. Today was a low day. I had some lasagna with Dreamfields noodles. Some consider that cheating, but I don't. Instead of bread, I had some wings. Sure it wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was still pretty good. Hope you're doing awesome!
Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM   #157
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh I definitely plan to use the pause button Either that or STOP. I need to be pushed alittle bit though. Often times when it starts to get hard I tend to panic and think, I can't...I can't... so being pushed alittle bit is important for me to realize that I can and break through.

I'm so glad that you found something that you enjoy doing...too bad it's so far away from home. Anything fun around you that you could get into more often? I thought about a gym but that terrifies me more than Jillian

I am having a hard time losing... it's been very hard mentally. I've had some regain for no real reason.. I'm opting to go all LC for awhile and not do cycling to see if I can reign it in.. feel free to come over to my journal and post if you want...I don't know that posting here when I'm not cycling is really helpful for anyone

Anyways, it sounds like you have found your happy ground with eating...I love Dreamfield's stuff I don't eat it too often cause it's all I want if I keep it around
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Sorry I haven't responded in a while. I'll check out your journal, for sure. I think going totally low carb for a while is a great idea. Some people just can't eat carbs and expect to lose weight. I don't know if you are one of them, but I sure think I am. Is there anything about low carb that particularly scares you? I know you said you couldn't do Atkins in a previous post.

Good luck with your workouts. They will get easier with time. Just try to get better one day at a time.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:32 AM   #159
Blabbermouth!!!

I flip-flop between thinking I can handle some carbs, and then not being able to handle any... it gets so exhausting! Completed 4 days on LC 100% and was down 1.8 so I'm hoping that I will at least get back to my low # I had.... right now dealing with some weird stomach thing
I have done Atkins several times over & over...and then year before last I committed to following it to the letter, as written, and managed only about 12 lbs in 7 months before the scale started going backwards and I slowly started regaining that measly 12 I kinda figured that maybe it wasn't for me anymore? But I'm giving it another try because quite honestly, the idea of doing ultra low fat, fasting, or straight calorie counting does not appeal to me right now
Glad to have you over on my journal!
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmyMabe
Stats: 238/226/180
I'm jumping on board with carb cycling. After being on and off Atkin's for months, I need a change. I just can't stick to totally low carb. This past weekend I hit a breaking point. A friend posted on FB about her results with carb cycling. Although I had heard of it before, I had never really considered doing it. I downloaded the first book Saturday afternoon and had finished reading it by Saturday night. Sunday I downloaded the second book and pretty much read through it by that night. It all just seemed to make sense and I think it's a plan I can actually stick with. I started Sunday with a low carb day. I'm doing the turbo plan so I've had 2 low days and just finished my first high day. So far, I am loving it! I really hope the newness doesn't wear off and that this is something I can actually stay committed to.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #161
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi Amy... I'm so happy to hear that you are enjoying cycling so far!
I had decided to take a break indefinitely from cycling to do induction style eating.. Well, it's been barely a week and a half, and for whatever reason my body is not having it. It's been absolutely miserable!! At least I'm hoping that's all it is? I am going to go back to cycling starting Saturday (that's when my week starts) and see what happens... hoping & praying that it's not something medical, but my body just telling me to get my butt back to cycling!

Since you mentioned the turbo cycle I'll assume you're doing Chris's version I do classic cycle, I just find I have better progress with that one.. I can't wait to begin again, I LOVE how I get to eat on this program!
Look forward to hearing how you progress!

JMC~ how ya doing, Mister?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #162
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
Hi all! Just started this plan today and I'm just amazed at how easy I'm finding it. I was a bit confused even after reading the book but I'm finding several support group on social media and now I found this one! My week starts on Sunday, works better for me this way.

I'm just a little confused on one point: Is it really 5 meals or 3 meals and 2 snacks? I can't seem to get an answer to this question.

I also realized today how much I was eating, all day long! I love the structure of 3 hours/eat! Also drank more water today than I can ever remember but it felt great!

Will be checking in to see how you all are doing and let you know how it's going for me!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”

Last edited by Beeb; 04-20-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #163
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vhuber
Started today!

Today was my FIRST day of carb cycling. I am not quite finished with the book "Chose More, Lose More for LIFE" but read enough to get me started! Im am a fitness fan so exercise has NEVER been my problem but since starting menopause I crave (then eat) way to much sugar!!!
vhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuber View Post
Today was my FIRST day of carb cycling. I am not quite finished with the book "Chose More, Lose More for LIFE" but read enough to get me started! Im am a fitness fan so exercise has NEVER been my problem but since starting menopause I crave (then eat) way to much sugar!!!
Exercise is my problem. I have Fibromyalgia and finding the fine line between not enough and too much is an issue. I do plan to move some everyday at least, even if I have to start small and work my way up. Menapause is kicking my butt, gained 20 pounds in the last 18 mouths plus I tend to binge at night so I had to find something that "told" me when to eat and not eat. I tried 8 hour windows to eat and all I did was binge. Now every 3 hours I get a "meal", sometimes big, sometimes small and when I'm done I know I have to wait to eat again. I'm really liking this!!

It's nice to see another newbie here and looking forward to chatting about our progress and ideas!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-21-2014 at 06:48 AM..
Old 04-21-2014, 08:20 AM   #165
Blabbermouth!!!

I think you can work your meals to be however you want them to be. Whether there's 2 snacks or 2 more meal-type things, I don't think it matters as long as all the food choices and calorie counts fall into place. For me, personally I think on high carb days all my meals feel more like all meals because I am hungrier and have more calories to spend.

Exercise will come when you are ready. I didn't do any for the first 6 months. The 9-min. missions are a nice way to start the morning if you're feeling up to it.

Best of luck to you both!
Old 04-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertGurl View Post
I think you can work your meals to be however you want them to be. Whether there's 2 snacks or 2 more meal-type things, I don't think it matters as long as all the food choices and calorie counts fall into place. For me, personally I think on high carb days all my meals feel more like all meals because I am hungrier and have more calories to spend.

Exercise will come when you are ready. I didn't do any for the first 6 months. The 9-min. missions are a nice way to start the morning if you're feeling up to it.

Best of luck to you both!
Thanks, DesertGurl! I have another question, please. SHOULD we be counting calories? Counting anything has ALWAYS been an issue for me with my binging and I'm trying to avoid this happening again. I am making good food choices, staying within the suggested food lists and serving sizes. If I start to count calories/carb/fat/protein/etc. it will be a slippery slope for me, as I know it always has been with my binging in the past and thus the reason NO diet has ever stuck! I want to make this WOE stick this time!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-21-2014 at 01:36 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #167
Blabbermouth!!!

Well the book is written as counting calories and nothing else. 1200 on low carb days, and 1500 for high carb days. Reward days are a high carb day with an additional 1000 calories. I guess you could see how you do the way you're doing it and if you're not losing then maybe start counting. You need to make sure you're eating enough despite following portion sizes according to the food lists, that's all I'm concerned about.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM   #168

Quote:
Well the book is written as counting calories and nothing else. 1200 on low carb days, and 1500 for high carb days. Reward days are a high carb day with an additional 1000 calories. I guess you could see how you do the way you're doing it and if you're not losing then maybe start counting. You need to make sure you're eating enough despite following portion sizes according to the food lists, that's all I'm concerned about.
OK, thanks for the advice and concern. I'm thinking I'm eating enough because I'm not that hungry in between meals and feel full from what I'm eating after my meals. I will see what happens without the counting after the first week. I'll let you know!

Last edited by Beeb; 04-21-2014 at 06:36 PM..
Old 04-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #169

I just added up my calories because you got me curious and I am at 1211 at the end of the day today. I'll do them at the end of the day if I feel I'm not eating enough but I'm really thinking I'm eating enough, as today proved to me.

Thanks again and I will let you know what I'm finding with the calories!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #170
Blabbermouth!!!

That's great news, especially if it was for a low carb day!! Looking forward to hearing how you do with this, it's definitely not for the faint of heart. You are doing fabulous!

Climbing back on today after a weekend of shenanigans Living like teenager is not conducive to clean eating and exercise
I've somehow hurt my knee through all this and am going to take the rest of this week off from my workouts to give things a chance to heal.. I'm scared of being sidelined for months like I have before, so I figure a week is a small price to pay.

High carb day today and I'm hungry hungry hungry... I need to work on food prep, it's the only way it keeps me on track to get in all 5 meals easily!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #171

Quote:
That's great news, especially if it was for a low carb day!! Looking forward to hearing how you do with this, it's definitely not for the faint of heart. You are doing fabulous!

Climbing back on today after a weekend of shenanigans Living like teenager is not conducive to clean eating and exercise
I've somehow hurt my knee through all this and am going to take the rest of this week off from my workouts to give things a chance to heal.. I'm scared of being sidelined for months like I have before, so I figure a week is a small price to pay.

High carb day today and I'm hungry hungry hungry... I need to work on food prep, it's the only way it keeps me on track to get in all 5 meals easily!

Have a great day everyone!
Sorry to hear about the knee and you are very wise to take care of it before it gets more of a problem. Doing well here, enjoying the journey and learning lots about food when I thought I "knew it all", especially about LC. What had me a little confused was a whole egg being considered fat. I always thought of it as protein when LCing but now I have to rethink that. Several other items but I'm enjoying the learning and doing and can feel the result already. Saturday is weigh-in and we will see what happens!
Old 04-23-2014, 08:42 AM   #172
Blabbermouth!!!

It took me a little while to wrap my head around it, and "undo" my thinking of what I knew of low carb eating, etc.. The yolk in the egg is considered the fat, so ideally these make a perfect food for LC days because you don't have to add anything to it. Personally, I look forward to eggs every other day and yep I could do egg whites on HC days but it just doesn't have that same yum factor I can't wait to see how well you do on your weigh in!

DH and I are currently doing a program here called B.E.S.T. Absolutely fantastic. It is developed with the Powell's & several other professional's to help give back to communities to allow as many people as possible the ability to achieve total transformation. The philosophies are all like Chris's, they teach people about cycling and really tackle all of the emotional things that keep people from reaching their goals. We had our first workshop last night focusing on the "Body"--nutrition & exercise. I'm excited and feel extremely fortunate to be able to get the extra motivation and help IRL! The orientation meeting 2 weeks ago, both Chris & Heidi were there--absolutely amazing. They spoke and briefly outlined what they're about and what the program was about.. I love how passionate he gets when he speaks about what he does! He is the real deal.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #173

Quote:
It took me a little while to wrap my head around it, and "undo" my thinking of what I knew of low carb eating, etc.. The yolk in the egg is considered the fat, so ideally these make a perfect food for LC days because you don't have to add anything to it. Personally, I look forward to eggs every other day and yep I could do egg whites on HC days but it just doesn't have that same yum factor I can't wait to see how well you do on your weigh in!

DH and I are currently doing a program here called B.E.S.T. Absolutely fantastic. It is developed with the Powell's & several other professional's to help give back to communities to allow as many people as possible the ability to achieve total transformation. The philosophies are all like Chris's, they teach people about cycling and really tackle all of the emotional things that keep people from reaching their goals. We had our first workshop last night focusing on the "Body"--nutrition & exercise. I'm excited and feel extremely fortunate to be able to get the extra motivation and help IRL! The orientation meeting 2 weeks ago, both Chris & Heidi were there--absolutely amazing. They spoke and briefly outlined what they're about and what the program was about.. I love how passionate he gets when he speaks about what he does! He is the real deal.
I wish we had something like this around here! I'm confused with you statement that you have eggs every other day for breakfast. We have to have a carb, protein and veggies on HC days for breakfast which means we can't have the whole egg, which is a fat, correct? Are you having this egg at breakfast or at another time during your LC days? Thanks for the info and sorry about my confusion!
Old 04-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #174
Blabbermouth!!!

I have eggs for 2nd meal every other day. Sorry about that

I do have to say that I struggle with veggies first thing in the morning...30 minutes after waking and they do not appeal...
Old 04-24-2014, 06:47 AM   #175

Quote:
I have eggs for 2nd meal every other day. Sorry about that

I do have to say that I struggle with veggies first thing in the morning...30 minutes after waking and they do not appeal...
Thanks for the egg-clarification! I have a confession to make: In the week I have been doing this, yesterday was the only day I had veggies with my breakfast. I just can't seem to remember! Need to find something to remind me for the morning meal. I would say I'm eating them 3 - 4 out of the 5. Hope to work it up higher in the days to come. What veggies do you eat with your breakfast? Yesterday I had some carrots but unless I'm doing an omelet I can't figure out how to do veggies unless I do a salad and THAT doesn't work for me first thing in the morning!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:24 AM   #176
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't have much to offer in the breakfast veggie equation.... I struggle badly with that. To eat within 30 min. of waking does not leave me wanting for veggies! I do yogurt & granola a lot for first meal and then try to incorporate extra veggies for 2nd meal... it just depends on what I have going on and how hungry I am. I dunno that I am that convinced that missing veggies one time in the a.m. is that big of a dealbreaker? I guess they could always be incorporated into a protein shake and then we wouldn't really have to "taste" them per se?
Old 04-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #177

I was just thinking the same thing about getting the "morning veggies" into another meal as a better option. I so agree with you with what you said and I think just getting those veggies in is the ticket for success. I was re-reading the book and he says that he isn't even concerned if we don't get veggies in on our HC days since we will be doing lots on the LC days and it will balance out. I agree!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:52 PM   #178
Blabbermouth!!!

I think we all have to do what we have to in order to make things work for us. If this one thing means the difference between me following along or giving up and throwing in the towel, well, then, I'm all for doing the tweak!
I'll say, ANY vegetables in a day for me is a far cry from where I was 8 months ago I'd just like to think of myself as a constant work in progress--always evolving.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:45 PM   #179
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vhuber
still here

Still here ladies! It has been a crazy work & I did what I could & lost a couple of pounds. Today is a free day & I have hardly ate ANY protein!! Carbs, carbs & more carbs! I Now feel fat & bloated!! I actually look forward to tomorrow!!
You two talk of no veggies for breakfast. I use plant protein powder & throw in spinach along with a fruit!
Hope I can be back on before another week FLIES by!!! Best wishes
vhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #180

Weight in day!! Started last Sunday, 4/20/14 at 167. Today I'm proud to say I am 161.6!! Total weight loss for this first week is 5.4 pounds, total inches lost are 6.5! I'm just OVER THE MOON this morning with these results and I know it will slow down and I'm very fine with that! This way of eating is working, in so many other ways, too besides the weight loss! Feeling great, drinking so much more water than I ever have, exercising a whole lot more in spite of my Fibromyaglia and loving the fact that some of my favorite clothes are fitting well again! AND I'm getting my grove on with this way of eating and everyday is easier and easier! What a great way to start my day!!