Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Intermittent Fasting Plans 2013

I hope it's ok to start a new thread for the new year-it looks like the old thread was pretty slow and I'm hoping a new one will get more people checking in

Copied and pasted from the first post of the 2012 thread (from ddailey320)

What is Intermittent Fasting (IF)?

IF is merely alternating intervals of not eating (fasting) with times where you are allowed to eat (eating window).

The fasting period on specific plans can range from 16 hours all the way up to 36 hours (with several stops in between), and each of those specific plans will have benefits.

The most important thing to remember about Intermittent Fasting is that it isn’t a “diet” or a mean's of starving one's self—it’s a way of eating, a nutritional lifestyle.

Types of IF programs

Here are some of the IF programs that I am familiar with and have read up on. Please feel free to include any additional ones!

*Eat Stop Eat
*Fast 5
*Johnson's Up Day Down Day (JUDDD)/ Alternate Day Diet
*The Warrior Diet

Want More Info?
Try searching these sites/blogs for loads of info, personal experiences, research, etc.
*Leangains
*Mark's daily apple
*The Retired Dieter
*InHumanExperiment

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-06-2013 at 04:05 PM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Established

I've been following JUDDD since this past November and enjoy it, but I'm starting to look for something to follow when I hit maintenance (I have 12ish pounds to go). You can maintain on JUDDD but I'd love to do something where I don't have to count calories so much. I'm interested in the Fast-5 approach, but have also been hearing a lot of buzz about the new book, the 8 Hour Diet.

Right now I'm just looking into different plans and seeing what's out there

What's everyone else doing? How long have you been doing it? Have you had success?
Old 01-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
Established

I ended up reading the Fast 5 ebook last night and I'm going to try combining it with my JUDDD rotations/calorie allotments, and see what happens I am going to tweak the Fast 5 window though and move it to 2pm-7pm, instead of 5pm-10pm. We're usually in bed by 9:30pm and I don't like eating right before bed.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Wow, I'm glad you posted that. With doing the 8-hour window, plus me being a natural procrastinator, I'm finding it easy to slip my start time toward evening, but then just recently I've been using the late start time as an excuse to stay up and eat later too. I just downloaded the Fast-5 book, and skimming through it, I think I may try to do it. Perhaps for now I will proceed with the thought that, 5-hour window is my goal, and 8-hour window is my fall-back plan. What I'm really really liking so far is that "hunger is Not the boss of me" feeling! Also I'm spending a bit less money on groceries already, too, and that's a big plus.
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

OH, I also Fast-5's approach to nutrition. Rather than cramming the same idea into some form of "8" (or, "5," to fit the "Fast-5" title), this book just says, "As long as you eat a mix of fruits and vegetables with at least occasional fish, meat, or poultry, you'll be fine."

This to me is basically the same take-away message as 8-hour diet - well, 8-hour specified to eat from each of these two groups at each meal or snack, but with less time to eat, it comes to the same thing.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: artemis19
Stats: lost 125 lbs (size 22W to 4)/8/6
WOE: LC my way/calorie and carb cycling
Start Date: off and on since 2004
Hey, mind if I join? I have done both Fast-5 and JUDDD, but am currently doing Fast-5 as it really fits with my hectic schedule. My eating window varies a bit from day to day but usually starts between 3 and 5 pm and ends 5 hours later. I really like it because since I don't have to spread my calories and carbs out throughout the day, I can afford to eat foods that may be higher in each that I wouldn't normally eat on a strictly LC plan. I find it so neat how the body adapts to this WOE too...and it begins to seem like all the rest of the world does is eat!
artemis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #7
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Hey, mind if I join? I have done both Fast-5 and JUDDD, but am currently doing Fast-5 as it really fits with my hectic schedule. My eating window varies a bit from day to day but usually starts between 3 and 5 pm and ends 5 hours later. I really like it because since I don't have to spread my calories and carbs out throughout the day, I can afford to eat foods that may be higher in each that I wouldn't normally eat on a strictly LC plan. I find it so neat how the body adapts to this WOE too...and it begins to seem like all the rest of the world does is eat!
Have you had weight loss just doing Fast 5? Do you eat whatever you want during that time? And do you aim for a certain amount of calories everyday? I'm wondering about going off of my JUDDD calorie allotments for a while and trying the Fast 5 plan by itself, but I'm afraid I'll start gaining again if I stop doing my DD restricted calories I only have 12-17lbs to go though until I hit goal, so a pound a week loss would be ok with me (what Fast 5 says you'll lose on the plan).

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-08-2013 at 04:19 AM..
Old 01-08-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Well congratulations on the weight loss so far mom!

I have lost weight on both plans, but for me Fast-5 is easier to follow with my hectic schedule. On JUDDD, I really struggled getting all my calories in on the UD because of being pressed for time and I also didn't seem to want that much food. But I never had problems with DDs.
For my food choices, I just try to use common sense. My calories and carbs vary from day to day naturally so in effect, I am doing calorie and carb cycling without even thinking about it. I always make myself eat a good meal with protein, veggies, and good fats first and then sometimes I eat good quality carbs such as those found in veggies and fruit but not on a daily basis. I try to stay away from pasta, bread, white potatoes, and other things made with white flour and tons of sugar because my body doesn't seem to process them very well. I do allow myself the occasional treat as long as it is within my window. I also account for those in my calorie total. Because calories definitely matter for me. Even when I was doing strict LC I could never eat as much as I wanted without consequences. So for me that is about 1200 or less. So maybe try Fast-5 and vary your calories a bit from day to day so that your body keeps guessing? That's what I'm doing now and I haven't weighed for a little while for various reasons, but it seems like my pants are fitting more loosely
Old 01-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Hi all. I just wanted to say hello. I've always been a big fan of IF. I'm currently doing Carb Addict's Diet within an eating window. I usually push breakfast back as far as I can (until 10 or 11) and then eat something low carb. Then I have a low carb lunch and whatever I want for dinner. I find myself easily fasting for 15-16 hours a day, sometimes a little more or less, by eating this way.

I did lose weight on Fast-5 a few years ago, but my window was usually 12-6. I'd eat a plate of whatever I wanted for lunch, and a plate of whatever I wanted for dinner. And then I was done. I stopped doing it when I started dating and wanted to be able to do social meals like going out for breakfast and going out for a late dinner and drinks. I really wish I'd stayed with it--it would have spared me several years of dieting!

I read the 8 Hour Diet. I like an 8 hour window--that's really doable, I think. However, I didn't like the "eat your 8 in 8" advice from the author. Too much work (for me) to make sure I am eating foods from certain categories.

Anyway, I am posting on the CAD thread, but I want to post here as well!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #10

Ate in a window of 10-5:45 yesterday, using CAD guidelines.

It's 10 this morning, and I'm not hungry yet, so I'll wait to eat.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

Rachel
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I'm liking the way the later window works. Waiting to eat is easy enough, but if I go to bed without some sort of food in my stomach I can't sleep. I'm planning to start paying attention to calories, and more attention to carbs (to get started, I was just focusing on the 'window' at first), but I'm sure I must be eating less already. Well actually, my stomach feels like I'm binging.. and maybe I am.. but if so it's still on a smaller quantity. I'm pretty sure of this, because I find myself at the grocery store looking at & not buying food (that I normally would buy) because I'm thinking, "but When would I actually Eat this food?"

Somehow it has always seemed that, the only ways to eat cheaply tend to cause weight gain. "Diets" are usually expensive. So now I'm smiling at the grocery store, since a do-able fast really is cutting my grocery bill!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I was pleased because I managed to achieve the 5-hour window. Was looking forward to the same thing today, but, I pulled a muscle. (From coughing. Brought on by eating lightly steamed veggies... see what happens from eating healthy?? ) Had to take naprosyn this morning. I cannot handle naprosyn on an empty stomach, so, cream in my coffee & cream with the med. I figure.. I will just know I had the cream, but otherwise pretend I didn't and shoot for my usual window. That will be damage control, right?

Last edited by fiddlejen; 01-10-2013 at 09:24 AM..
Old 01-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis19 View Post
Well congratulations on the weight loss so far mom!

I have lost weight on both plans, but for me Fast-5 is easier to follow with my hectic schedule. On JUDDD, I really struggled getting all my calories in on the UD because of being pressed for time and I also didn't seem to want that much food. But I never had problems with DDs.
For my food choices, I just try to use common sense. My calories and carbs vary from day to day naturally so in effect, I am doing calorie and carb cycling without even thinking about it. I always make myself eat a good meal with protein, veggies, and good fats first and then sometimes I eat good quality carbs such as those found in veggies and fruit but not on a daily basis. I try to stay away from pasta, bread, white potatoes, and other things made with white flour and tons of sugar because my body doesn't seem to process them very well. I do allow myself the occasional treat as long as it is within my window. I also account for those in my calorie total. Because calories definitely matter for me. Even when I was doing strict LC I could never eat as much as I wanted without consequences. So for me that is about 1200 or less. So maybe try Fast-5 and vary your calories a bit from day to day so that your body keeps guessing? That's what I'm doing now and I haven't weighed for a little while for various reasons, but it seems like my pants are fitting more loosely
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlejen View Post
I'm liking the way the later window works. Waiting to eat is easy enough, but if I go to bed without some sort of food in my stomach I can't sleep. I'm planning to start paying attention to calories, and more attention to carbs (to get started, I was just focusing on the 'window' at first), but I'm sure I must be eating less already. Well actually, my stomach feels like I'm binging.. and maybe I am.. but if so it's still on a smaller quantity. I'm pretty sure of this, because I find myself at the grocery store looking at & not buying food (that I normally would buy) because I'm thinking, "but When would I actually Eat this food?"

Somehow it has always seemed that, the only ways to eat cheaply tend to cause weight gain. "Diets" are usually expensive. So now I'm smiling at the grocery store, since a do-able fast really is cutting my grocery bill!
Really good point! I don't like to eat too late, but I think having something like a 2-7pm window would work well for me

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing. I've had amazing success with JUDDD, and I'm leaning towards keeping up with it even in maintenance, but maybe I could ease up on having to keep track of calories and shift to a 5 hour window type of deal once I get to maintenance. I could still do UD/DD rotations, but then include eating windows and not worry about calories so much. I wonder if the 5 hour window/fasting part would help me to maintain better
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #14

I know a few people who have done IF in the past and who have allowed a cup of coffee with coconut oil or butter (research bulletproof coffee) or cream without counting it as part of their window. So, I think you're fine, Jen.

Just starting to get hungry, so I'll have my string cheese now. It's about 11:30.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I drink coffee in the morning (no coconut oil) with creamer and splenda and I haven't been counting it as breaking the fast. I don't know yet whether or not that is hurting me or not because I haven't tweaked my plan yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Well my stomach likes the coffee better with cream. It's reassuring to hear that it's worked okay for others -- thanks! But I think it gonna be a slippery-slope for me. I'm sticking with with the cream for the next few days, because of the naprosyn. But after that, back to black!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #17

My window yesterday was 11:30-7. Scale is (slowly) trending downward (I am doing a weekly average of my daily weigh-ins), so that's a good thing.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:19 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moebug
Stats: 175/175/160
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 11/29/2012
Starting Fast 5 today

Hi everyone,

My most recent venture was JUDDD but I've decided to try the Fast 5 plan. I do much better when the option of eating is completely taken away. I'm going out to lunch with my sister so my window is going to start pretty early which I'm a little concerned about. I really want to get a dessert too. I'm thinking I will get one to go so I don't have my sister judging me.

I have done every diet plan under the sun. Usually I am have the most success when I completely cut out flour and sugar products but eventually I get to a point where I just go completely off on a binge. I work out quite a bit and I know it is what I put in my mouth that is and always has been the problem. Hope this one works for me!
Maura
Moebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
hi, everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
I know a few people who have done IF in the past and who have allowed a cup of coffee with coconut oil or butter (research bulletproof coffee) or cream without counting it as part of their window. So, I think you're fine, Jen.
i stopped drinking coffee when i realized that was the only thing keeping me from categorizing my normal eating patterns as IF, because of the cream. i wouldn't mind adding it back. do you know how this was justified, Rachel? i know i can drink coffee and cream without getting hungry, and it doesn't slow me down so i get the lifestyle benefits of IF, but i also like the idea of giving my body more time to run off stored energy, and don't want to stop that with cream. thoughts?
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #20

Do a search for a blog called 'the if life' by 2 meal mike. He explains the coffee cream/coconut oil concept really well!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #21

Window today from 10-5:30.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Do a search for a blog called 'the if life' by 2 meal mike. He explains the coffee cream/coconut oil concept really well!
Was this the article? Coconut Oil Coffee: Burn Fat, Be Alert and Unleash Your Superpowers!

Thanks, Rachel!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: No Diet = No Stress! Just eating healthy!
I have decided to do the 8 hour diet. It fits perfect with my life style and how I eat anyway and I'm going to do 1 to 9 as my 8 hours. I like having a little something before bed and I'm also thinking this is going to stop my binge eating at night.

I also like the no calorie counting. I usually don't eat anything until around 12 everyday anyway so pushing it one more hour isn't going to be a big deal at all, I'm sure.

Starting on Monday because of a crazy weekend so I'll let you all know how I'm doing by weeks end.

I'm finally excited again about an eating plan!!

A man asked Gautama Buddha, "I want happiness." Buddha said, "First remove "I," that's Ego, then remove "want," that's Desire. See now you are left with only "Happiness.”
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #24
Established

Ok, while I'm still doing JUDDD I'm also going to slowly ease into eating windows Today I broke my fast at 11am and want to be done eating by 6pm, so a 7 hour windows (I think I'll keep aiming for a 5-8 hour eating window everyday).
Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #25

Yes, Tao, that's the one!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Yes, Tao, that's the one!
oh, thanks so much, Rachel! i have missed my coffee and cream in the morning. i'm taking it back!!!
Old 01-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #27

You're welcome!

Slept in this morning...I have a cold, ugh. Promised my daughter I'd take her to the mall, so we went to a couple of stores, and I ate about 1:30. Wasn't hungry until then.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You're welcome!

Slept in this morning...I have a cold, ugh. Promised my daughter I'd take her to the mall, so we went to a couple of stores, and I ate about 1:30. Wasn't hungry until then.
awwww. sleeping in is the best thing for it, hope you're feeling better soon.

i tried the coconut milk in my tea this afternoon. it was nice, but not as nice as cream. nice mouth feel and good flavor, but i missed the distinct dairy taste. i doctored it up with some condensed milk (since i was out of cream and had already broken my fast) and then some chai spices. now that was good!

i noticed some cramping and a bit of loosening in my lower intestine when i was out for my walk. i would definitely caution people new to coconut oil to only start with a teaspoon at a time, as directed in that article. i don't usually have symptoms anything like that. coconut oil has something pretty potent in it!
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I have been JUDDDing, too, but find that I am only eating later in the day. I think for maintenance it will be great.

Nice to ''see'' you Beeb! Hope this works for you, too.
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #30

Good morning....feeling much better today. I think resting a lot on Saturday night must have helped.

My window on Saturday was 1:30-6:30 and about the same yesterday. I'm going to open today at 11 am with a piece of string cheese and cucumbers, then a work lunch (I ordered chicken and salad) at 1 and dinner with my daughter about 6:00 (homemade pizza and crustless cheesecake.)

I'm letting my appetite guide my choice of opening my window and closing right after dinner each night. We're usually always done by 6:30 or so.

Someone asked about the 8 hour window in the new 8 hour book and whether or not it can be effective just doing it 3 times a week, as the author claims. I've never tried it that way, so I can't really comment from any personal experience. I do know that my body likes consistency...when I get used to skipping breakfast and not snacking at night, my body adjusts to it. It's just easier for me to IF most of the time.