Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Saxy1971
Stats: 230/202/180
I know it's only my 2nd day, but after closing today's eating window, I can honestly say that I feel good about this--I'm happily surprised that I've had the discipline to stop eating when I'm supposed to, and don't feel like I "deserve" something later. I'm crossing my fingers that I finally found my WOE.
Saxy1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 03:24 PM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisa82 View Post
Tomorrow will be my first day back at low-carb, with the addition of F5. My eating window will be 3-8pm.

If I have some half-n-half in my coffee before my eating window opens, do you think it will hinder my results?
I drink my coffee black because those calories of half and half nixs the "fasting" part. But try it to see if it still works. You can always modify and get stricter if need be.
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
I drink green tea with cream and evco every morning. I don't count that as part of my window. I was eating lunch around 2pm and then dinner at around 8pm. For the last week I've started pushing my window back further and further - testing my limits to see when I actually get hungry. During the day, if I feel hungry - I drink 20oz of water and then wait 30 minutes to see if I'm still hungry - 9 times out of 10 I've actually forgotten about my hunger before the 30 minutes are up. On Monday I waited until 3pm and then had some brie and walnuts, more because I was getting panicky about not eating than because I was really hungry. On Tuesday I felt like I was really very hungry by 4pm, so I had 1/2 of an avocado and that satisfied me until dinner. Yesterday I was home sick with a sinus infection, and I just didn't feel like eating until dinner time. Today I was back at work and was tempted by my lunch bag at around noon - but had some water and then forgot about it until I was one my way home. I had about 4oz of shrimp with some cocktail sauce at around 6pm and will probably have bacon and eggs for dinner tonight around 8:30 or so. I'm sticking to LC for my meals, for the time being.

In the last week I've lost 5 lbs. I'm not sure that it's in relation to the IF, but I can tell you that I'm TOM this week, and I've never, ever, ever LOST weight during this week - so I'm thinking that it can't be hurting. I LOVE eating this way!
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:06 PM   #214
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Britt: W2G on the fasting. I am sooo trying to get more intune with my body and what it actually needs vs. what my head tells me I need. I seem to be able to go later and later each day myself. I can see how Racheal Heller was able to only eat once a day and lose 150lbs!

Today as an objective look (I do this from time to time) I kept track of my calories. On CAD where I was eating 3 times a day, I was injesting 2300-2600 calories a day. For the first few weeks I was losing on that amount and then just was maintaining. What kind of diet is that where you can eat that much and not gain!!! LOVE IT

So now that I am combining CAD/CALP with eating only 2 times a day, I am eating 1580-1775 calories a day. Much closer (yet WAAAAYYY more satisfying) to the ranges for most "diets" that restrict calories. I am still eating what I please and in what amounts I feel I want. I even went back for more "goodies" and that is what brought me up from the 1580 to the 1775 for my total.

I feel really good about this WOE. NO HUNGER AT ALL. No thinking about food AT ALL. No counting a single carb, calorie, etc (except what I did today for objectivity). Eating lots of great protein and veggies, herbal teas and water, then also my "whatever I feel like" carbs of choice at my dinner/RM. I am on track to be down again this week. Love love love it!

MIW
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #215
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Good morning! Happy March! Anyone have any specific goals for this month? Mine are:

-stay on plan; don't quit
-keep exercising in the mornings

I would like to reach a scale weight of 149.5, but I count every day a success when I am on my plan, so I'm not as worried about the number.

MIW, isn't it wonderful to have found a way of eating that we love and that works?!

I didn't eat enough protein with my dinner last night (you would think I'd learn, right? LOL) and I am hungry this morning. I planned a nice big grilled ham and cheese (gluten free), but I only had one slice of ham left. So, not enough protein, especially since my side dish was chips and my desert was two truffles.

Have a great IF day, all!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

My goals for March are:

- not obsess over the scale. I'm new at this, so I expect NOT to lose the first few weeks.

- Stick to my Noon-5pm eating window during the week, and only move that window on weekends if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

I don't think they are lofty goals to start out with. I fully expect to learn to love this way of eating and pay more attention to how my clothes fit, rather than what the number on the scale displays.

So far, on my 3rd day, I'm loving this!!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #217
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
March goal- figure out maintenance Right now I'm playing around with doing a combo of the 8/16 IF window with WW SFT. It seems to be a really good combination and I'm enjoying it so far, but only time will tell if it will work for me, for maintenance. So far my weight has been holding pretty steady with it, so that's a good sign
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Happy March! My goals are to stay on track, not be traumatized by the scale and to excersise every day - even if it's just 30 minutes on the Wii Fit.

I'd love to say that one of my goals is to be one clothing size down by the end of the month - but those are the kind of goals that end up sabotaging me. So - I'll just say that my last goal is for my clothes to be fitting even better at the end of the month!

Hope you all have a great day!
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #219
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Yay, March! Spring is so, so close.

My goals are:
1) Exercise! I really want to tone up as I lose weight.
2) Stick to my six or weight-hour window. Not eating my first meal until early afternoon is really helping eliminate my desire to snack all the time (and I'm convinced that snacking is a bad idea.)
3) Stay primal as much as possible -- whole foods, no processed junk, no chemical concoctions.

-and-

4) Stay off the scale! I'll weigh in once a week and put the dang thing away the rest of the time.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #220

Love reading everyone's goals! They look great!

We went to a soup and salad place for dinner last night. I had chicken enchilada soup and a salad that had chicken and strawberries on it. It was the grand opening (I didn't even know) so they also had free desert, so I got a slice of cheesecake and didn't eat the crust. It was pretty good!

We went to Kohls after dinner, and I picked up a couple of workout tops that I can wear to the gym. My daughter is skiing with her dad today, so we'll probably just to the gym tomorrow.

Have a great day!!
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Love reading everyone's goals! They look great!

We went to a soup and salad place for dinner last night. I had chicken enchilada soup and a salad that had chicken and strawberries on it. It was the grand opening (I didn't even know) so they also had free desert, so I got a slice of cheesecake and didn't eat the crust. It was pretty good!

We went to Kohls after dinner, and I picked up a couple of workout tops that I can wear to the gym. My daughter is skiing with her dad today, so we'll probably just to the gym tomorrow.

Have a great day!!
I love Kohl's! Always get amazing deals, especially when we get a 30% coupon in the mail!

I noticed in these few days that I'm starting to make good choices in how I fill my 5-hr window....Before I started this plan, I was convinced that I would be binging and eating fast food and other junk the first week or so. I'm not doing that. And today was the first time I ate a sandwich with NO MAYO! haha! I know, it sounds so trivial, but I'm a condiment queen--gotta have mayo on everything. I used avocado and hummus for my condiments today and I'm happy.

Baby steps. I just have to keep making those baby steps.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Hopeful that tracking my progress will keep me focused! http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...d-journal.html
Old 03-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #222
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxy1971 View Post
I love Kohl's! Always get amazing deals, especially when we get a 30% coupon in the mail!

I noticed in these few days that I'm starting to make good choices in how I fill my 5-hr window....Before I started this plan, I was convinced that I would be binging and eating fast food and other junk the first week or so. I'm not doing that. And today was the first time I ate a sandwich with NO MAYO! haha! I know, it sounds so trivial, but I'm a condiment queen--gotta have mayo on everything. I used avocado and hummus for my condiments today and I'm happy.

Baby steps. I just have to keep making those baby steps.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
What you are doing is perfect! I did the exact same thing when I started on November 1st- listening to my body. I can't believe how many changes I have made that just naturally seem to fall into place and I don't miss them at all. A biggie for me is that I don't salt my food anymore. Nada. I just take it with how it is and I am a lifelong oversalter and food used to never be up to par in my book until I added more salt. Just one of a few things I have done and noticed changes (postive ones) for me by doing so. I swear this WOE will change your taste buds!

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #223
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: BlueTopaz
Stats: 160/156/140
WOE: whatever works
Start Date: 10 years ago - Height 5' 7"
Hi,
Sounds like everyone's doing well.

My goal for March is:

- Prepare more homemade food i.e. less eating out.
- Stick to the Power 8 foods.
- Lose 3-4 lbs in March.
- Increase exercise.

Last Sunday my daughter whose expecting had a "Reveal Party" to reveal the sex of her baby and that day was a lot of sugar. Something I usually always avoid. Since Sunday's are my cooking days and I didn't get to cook for the following week, my food this week was not up to par. The scale stayed the same, luckily. Whew!
BlueTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #224
Major LCF Poster!

Down 0.57 lbs from last week! I really think the IF along with CAD is what my particular metabolism needs. Doing fairly well with the hunger, this morning a bit hungry compared to the last week which was pretty much no hunger at all. Not sure if it was a later than usual dinner, or the stress of being gone at work the last 3 days, another stressor family-wise or what. Just going to drink my tea and water all morning and power past it.

March goals:

Maybe finally start some sustained exercise. I am very active as an RN, taking care of kids and farm duties at home- but none of it is really sustained cardio (ie fat-burning) type exercise so going to see about baby step of maybe once or twice a week getting out for some walks.

Of course would love to set a goal on some poundage coming off but I am not willing to be restrictive of myself in anyway to do that. Maintaining here and there and super slow weight loss is ok for me- for now...

MIW
Old 03-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #225

Good morning! I had a weird eating day yesterday. I stayed in a window and ate gluten free, but it went something like this....wasn't hungry until noon, so I had some greek yogurt...then we went out for Mexican food, and I had a plate of chips, beef, cheese, etc. Then I wasn't hungry for dinner until right at 6:30 and the only thing that sounded good with gluten free toast with cinnamon butter. So I made that, knowing full well that it meant I might be super hungry this morning.

Luckily, the hunger has been brief this morning. I will definitely enjoy my apple slices and peanut butter when I open at 10:30, though. Taking my employees out for lunch today and then making salmon for dinner tonight.

Have a good day!!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #226
Established

Finally got my library hold of The 8 Hour Diet and I'm about half way through it. The writing style is purposely cheesy and I love it-author gets major bonus points for mentioning the zombie apocalypse in a dieting book

I'm already familiar with a lot of the science theory behind it, having already done some research on IF, but it's a highly entertaining book and I'm picking up some good tips (cut off caffeine af 2pm, do a few minutes of exercise before breaking my fast every day etc).
Old 03-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #227
Major LCF Poster!

Saxy1971, Love your screen pic btw!

Cheers!

MIW
Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #228
Established

Ok, finished The 8 Hour Diet. The thing that stood out to me was that he kept referring to research that was finding all these health benefits with alternate day IF ie JUDDD. But none of the research was about the 8/16 model It seemed like the author read all the studies about JUDDD and then created his own idea of an IF window plan. But, are the health benefits the same for both plans? The author did not prove this to me, and that makes me uncomfortable. With my family tree of diseases, the potential health benefits of IF is the reason I want to follow an IF plan. But, if there's no scientific.research backing the 8/16 window then I think I need to look into alternatives like the 5:2 plan. Does anyone know of any other books about fasting windows? I've read The Fast 5, but have heard that 5 hour windows aren't good for women?

Lots to think about!

Last edited by mom23kids; 03-05-2013 at 04:38 AM..
Old 03-05-2013, 05:37 AM   #229
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Saxy1971, Love your screen pic btw!

Cheers!

MIW
Thanks MIW!!

Mom23kids...I'm on the Fast-5 plan....The 5-hr window works perfect for my schedule. I'm curious to learn why this is bad for women, as I'm still learning and I'm hoping to make this a lifestyle change because I feel great 2 weeks in!
Old 03-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #230
Established

Quote:
Thanks MIW!!

Mom23kids...I'm on the Fast-5 plan....The 5-hr window works perfect for my schedule. I'm curious to learn why this is bad for women, as I'm still learning and I'm hoping to make this a lifestyle change because I feel great 2 weeks in!
It was brought up in the JUDDD section a while back, I'll try to find the article/info and repost it here. But, something about women's hormones being negatively impacted by small eating windows
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 AM   #231
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
It was brought up in the JUDDD section a while back, I'll try to find the article/info and repost it here. But, something about women's hormones being negatively impacted by small eating windows
Ah, I'll take a look too and see if I can find it--JUDDD just wasn't working for me due to my binging issues. Fast-5 hasn't affected me in that aspect so far, so I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #232
Established

Ok, i misspoke, it was about JUDDD and IF in general that may negatively impact women's hormones
IF/Women/Hormones

There's an article mentioned, paleo myth for women, and I'm going to google it now!
Old 03-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #233
Established

Just googled and read Paleo Myth For Women. Wow, my head is spinning right now! I have several symptoms mentioned in the article and in the comments section, including periods that now last 6-10 days instead of the 4-5 they used to be at, and I've also started losing a lot of hair. I really don't know what to think right now. I want the health benefits of IF so badly, but maybe it's not the best way for me
Old 03-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Just googled and read Paleo Myth For Women. Wow, my head is spinning right now! I have several symptoms mentioned in the article and in the comments section, including periods that now last 6-10 days instead of the 4-5 they used to be at, and I've also started losing a lot of hair. I really don't know what to think right now. I want the health benefits of IF so badly, but maybe it's not the best way for me
Take a deep breath, let the world stop spinning for a minute. I'm going on 42 this year, and I'm sure my hormones will be doing a number on me pretty soon, as early menopause runs in the fam. But I'm just not seeing *any* negatives so far with the Fast-5 plan. Time will tell.

You've been on the IF for quite a while now, right? Have you seen your doc for checkups since? Maybe IF is for you, maybe it's not--I tend to read into a lot of what others say rather than listening to my body....What is your body telling you?
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #235
Established

Quote:
Take a deep breath, let the world stop spinning for a minute. I'm going on 42 this year, and I'm sure my hormones will be doing a number on me pretty soon, as early menopause runs in the fam. But I'm just not seeing *any* negatives so far with the Fast-5 plan. Time will tell.

You've been on the IF for quite a while now, right? Have you seen your doc for checkups since? Maybe IF is for you, maybe it's not--I tend to read into a lot of what others say rather than listening to my body....What is your body telling you?
I started JUDDD last November, and switched to the 8/16 window a couple weeks ago for maintenance. I did just have a physical last week and everything looks good, but I haven't done the bloodwork yet that he wants me to get (routine stuff plus a vitamin D check since I've been deficient in the past).

Ok, taking a deep breath and chilling out over here
Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I started JUDDD last November, and switched to the 8/16 window a couple weeks ago for maintenance. I did just have a physical last week and everything looks good, but I haven't done the bloodwork yet that he wants me to get (routine stuff plus a vitamin D check since I've been deficient in the past).

Ok, taking a deep breath and chilling out over here
Congratulations on your success! I'd say get those routine tests done, and go with what you feel is the most sustainable for you, and if something doesn't feel right, get it checked--I'm finding so many studies/testimony that give IF a nod for overall good health, so I'm hoping that it does keep working for you in maintenance!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #237

Good morning! I had a good dinner last night...salmon, roasted carrots, and basmati rice, and my hunger levels are very mild this am. Once again reminding me to give my body enough protein!

There are so many books/articles about different ways of eating/dieting. I really think you can make a case or break a case for every eating plan, if you go by the the "experts" say...(and are they truly experts?)

I've decided to rely on myself and my own experiences this time around. I feel good when I do IF, my energy levels are to a point where I can exercise daily, I am eating a good balance of healthy foods, and I am not obsessed with food or eating. I will definitely stay with IF unless I start feeling sick, tired, emotional and so on.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #238
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Not that I am trying to get anyone here to go onto CAD/CALP (wink wink) but the Heller's who came up with the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, the LifeSpan Plan, Carbohydrate Addicted Kids, The Stress Eating Cure, on and on are A) Research scientists/Biochemists both with several doctorates. B) Studied 1000 people for TWO YEARS and had an 80% success rate. Most diets are never studied, or the groups are very small, or are only studied for maybe 6 months. A lot of very shoddy material comes out of those types of so called studies, and a lot of that information is what ends up on the net or in the NYT best seller diet book of the moment.

Their diet is really about Insulin Resistance and how to control it. It is not a gimmick. Most diets are written by laymen, or nutritionists who go to regular colleges and get the food pyramid and standard American diet as their model of healthy eating and starting point. If you are really concerned about the medical impact on women and are interested in the science aspect, google PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). Those women have major issues including fertility disorders and dysmenorrhea. There are forums and forums of PCOS folks who once they switch to low carb everything falls into place.

When you get your insulin levels in line, many other hormones also fall into place. I am an RN- not a doctor or research person other than having enough brain power and background to be dangerous sometimes But I have really looked into IR and also paying attention to my own body.

Since I have started doing CAD on November 1st, these are the things I have noticed other than weight loss:

The ability to get rid of a chronic yeast rash that I had for over 10 years

No more urge to bite my nails

Facial hair and arm hair that I have waxed is growing waaaay slower and not as noticeable

No more racing thoughts, OCD type stuff has calmed down some also. Better sleep. Not perfect but falling asleep faster, not waking up as often, etc.

Not hot and sweaty. I am only down 17lbs now but even when I was lighter/younger I always would get hot and sweaty very easily. Since November I am not sweating anymore and am actually cold alot!

Trust me I am still eating tons of carbs so it is not like it is because I have cut out sugar! This has made a true believer out of me. I have now combined CAD/CALP with a 6-8 hour window and I am on track to lose 4 lbs in two weeks where eating only CAD style over 10-14 hours had me on an 8 week plateau for the previous weeks. I am also actually LESS hungry by eating in a closer amount of time which is weird since you'd think my body would miss eating my morning meal first thing which is something I have done my entire life.

I could go on but you get the idea. Remember- we all have individual unique metabolisms. If you feel good and are getting out of a diet what you are after that is what you should focus on as long as it is not negatively impacting your health. If you just eat whatever and whenever you feel like then you are on track to get overweight, diabetes, heart disease, have a heart attack, stroke, CHF, etc etc.

MIW
Old 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #239
Major LCF Poster!

High pitched voice sayin': WOOT WOOT WOOT

218lbs today

MIW