Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 8
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Arlene, I have an eight hour window, but I am not following the 8 hour diet. I made up my own rules!

For dinner, I allow a plate of whatever I like, plus desert
All other eating in the window is no starch, no sugar. Examples, apple and peanut butter, yogurt and blueberries, string cheese and nuts.

This is pretty easy, and I do think that it's okay to think about your lifestyle when choosing a way to eat that fits with YOU. For me, it's my daughter. On the weekends, I want to be able to have lunch and dinner with her. And every night, I want an enjoyable dinner with her that includes any food I like. (I made the one plate rule to keep my portions reasonable.)

Important thing with IF is to find a window that works for you and then just work it.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Rachel - I'll probably do what your doing. Probably go between 5 and 7 hours - 8 hrs yesterday was too long - found myself eating wayyyy to much and didn't need it. I know it's a psych game, this window, but I feel better at 5. Will stretch as I need it (with dh!)

Thanks
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #123

Good morning! Starting week 5 of eating this way. My scale was up this morning, but I know it's due to medication I've been taking this week. It doesn't matter how fast or slow I lose this year...I just need to be consistent in what I do and not quit. Even a pound a month will get to to my goal by Christmas.

I am good this morning. Very mild hunger pains. I rode my exercise bike for 30 minutes before work. Have all my usuals to eat today, and I don't anticipate any special lunch events. My daughter and I will go out to eat tonight, but we haven't decided where quite yet.

Arlene, I know you'll find the best window for you (and your husband!)
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Well, a new avi -- you look so pretty!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Well, a new avi -- you look so pretty!
Agree! You look wonderful. Love the shirt too.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #126

Oh thank you! A friend sent me the shirt, and I just love it. It's more mauve than you can see in the photo. It's actually a medium, which is kind of nice!

We went out for dinner last night. We'd planned to go to Barbacoa, but they didn't have what I wanted, so we went to a cafe instead, and I had salad and soup. And then a couple of chocolate truffles for desert.

I had my usual hunger pains at 8 am. Seems like that's my pattern right now. At 8, I've dropped my daughter off at school and am in my commute to work, so I'm not tempted to eat. By the time I get to work, I'm ready for a cup of coffee and hunger pains are averted.

Anyone noticing a particular pattern to their hunger yet?

Brought all my usuals to work. We are planning on breakfast for dinner tonight, which will be sausage and gluten free waffles. Pretty simple eating for today!

We are on day 5 of our "Fab Ab February" challenge, and I did get up and ride my exercise bike this morning.

Have a great IF day, all!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #127
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Glad this thread is so active! I'm now about 6lbs from goal and i'm doing a hybrid of juddd and 5:2, with the intention of totally switching over to 5:2 soon still haven't played around with eating windows yet-may do that after i go into maintanance.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
[QUOTE=LowCarbRachel]...
...Anyone noticing a particular pattern to their hunger yet?
QUOTE]

LowCarbRachel...Yes, I certainly have a pattern. I'm on Day 4 of the 8 Hour IF and it's the late snack before I go to sleep.

Your post make me stop and think about part of the issue. I'm a heavy coffee drinker, but cut off mid-afternoon. I can't drink coffee at night because I have a sleep problem. That could be one reason those pangs show up so late.

My window is 10:30 to 6:30. I wake up usually early, but never fall asleep before midnight. By 11:00 pm the hunger starts. Last night I tried self talk to tell myself I wasn't hungry, but it didn't help.

David's book should be here tomorrow so maybe there are some helpful hints in it. Since I just started, some experimenting is in order. I probably need more fat in my last meal.

MOVING FORWARD!

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #129

Sharon, I've noticed that having enough protein and fat in my dinner helps me. I'm usually asleep by 10:30, though, so I haven't noticed any evening hunger. And I have noticed that eating enough fat and protein at dinner helps me through the morning....I was probably hungry this morning because dinner last night was pretty low on protein. I do a 10:30-6:30 window, too.

Sara, congratulations on getting so close to your goal! That's wonderful!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #130

I just happened to see an article on "Mediterranean diet may be be best for diabetics" online.

Here's the part of the article that I found most interesting:

After following the diet for at least six months, the people on a Mediterranean eating plan also lost an average of 4 pounds. No other diet had a significant impact on weight, according to the findings published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

They lost an average of FOUR pounds in six months, and that was on the diet with the best results (they also tested low carb, low glycemic index, and so on.) That's less than a pound a month.

Losing weight (and keeping it off) sure isn't an easy or fast process. That's why I'm glad I finally came up with something I am comfortable doing for life.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #131

Good morning! I feel like I am coming down with something and am trying to shake it off.

Dinner last night was waffle sticks and sausage. I got full pretty fast from the waffle sticks and probably didn't eat enough protein. Next time we do breakfast for dinner, I'll scramble a couple of eggs, too.

Should be a pretty typical eating day for me! I did get up and ride my bike this morning.

Have a good IF day all!

Rachel
Old 02-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #132
Senior LCF Member

Hi all - doing well on the Fast-5. I've been able to fast for 20.5 hours without any issues - which is almost unreal. So glad everyone is liking their WOE - I'm glad as I found a plan that works for 'my world'.

Supposed to get rain and freezing rain in the morning so I may not make it to my water class. but it so isn't worth getting out on the road if I don't have to. Getting out of my house is downhill and then more downhill to get to the main road -- so even if that road is clear -- I don't really want to slide the whole way down. Lol!!

Have a great evening!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #133
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hi all - doing well on the Fast-5. I've been able to fast for 20.5 hours without any issues - which is almost unreal. So glad everyone is liking their WOE - I'm glad as I found a plan that works for 'my world'.

Supposed to get rain and freezing rain in the morning so I may not make it to my water class. but it so isn't worth getting out on the road if I don't have to. Getting out of my house is downhill and then more downhill to get to the main road -- so even if that road is clear -- I don't really want to slide the whole way down. Lol!!

Have a great evening!
I'm really glad you're doing so well on the Fast-5 WOE. I don't do well even on the 8 hour IF. I'm still late hour snacking. I've read the Fast-5 ebook and I don't think I could ever go down to eating one meal a day.

After receiving the 8 Hour Diet book yesterday, I see where that program calls for two meals a day plus snack - at least have to do it that way to get the good weight loss. I don't even do that.

I've read the research on IF and it seems very logical. So not sure what I'm going to do at this point.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

I was always a late hour snacker too. But strange, once I started this, I was able to tell myself - No and it seems to work.

I don't eat just one meal. I usually eat two small ones and another snack - just all within the 5 hours. It's working and I'm feeling better -- not losing a huge amount of weight and it is slow, but that's ok with me!
Old 02-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I was always a late hour snacker too. But strange, once I started this, I was able to tell myself - No and it seems to work.

I don't eat just one meal. I usually eat two small ones and another snack - just all within the 5 hours. It's working and I'm feeling better -- not losing a huge amount of weight and it is slow, but that's ok with me!
I see you're doing LC. Are you doing Atkins? I think that's the only way I could do IF because I just don't get enough fats. I've done Atkins before and know how great it is as the appetite gets smaller because one doesn't eat as much, yet is satisfied.

I've tried telling myself no, but since I don't get to sleep until after midnight, the pangs just keeping hitting me.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:15 AM   #136
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Phase
Stats: 191/80s/30s - 5'3"
WOE: Low Carb/Keto
Start Date: January 2012
Hi everyone!
I've recently started fasting 3 days a week. I aim for water only but I usually have coffee with HWC in the morning and I drink gelatin as a supplement before bed. It's part of a 9 week challenge I'm doing with a friend but I skip breakfast most days anyway so I'll probably keep one fast day a week once we finish.

I blew it yesterday evening after doing so well all day! I didn't just blow the fast, I jumped ship straight into carby junk. I seem to have a pattern of doing great with low carb for a few weeks and then going crazy so I think it's pms related. I'll just have to keep working on it. Happy fasting all!
Phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
I see you're doing LC. Are you doing Atkins? I think that's the only way I could do IF because I just don't get enough fats. I've done Atkins before and know how great it is as the appetite gets smaller because one doesn't eat as much, yet is satisfied.

I've tried telling myself no, but since I don't get to sleep until after midnight, the pangs just keeping hitting me.
No, not Atkins just LC and I quit wheat totally after reading Wheat Belly. Scary stuff. I do eat good fats. Lots of Coconut oil so maybe that's why my appetite has calmed down. Anyway, I'm enjoying IF (for me Fast-5) as it totally takes my mind off of eating. My dh eats at lot of junk food and it's in the house -- a real problem when my emotions go crazy.

Is there a reason you need to stay up till midnight. If not, perhaps hitting the bed 15 minutes earlier each night would help you break the habit. Just a thought~!
Old 02-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #138

Hi friends!

I am doing well, still at my low wt of 150.5. Hurt my finger on Friday, so I am not doing much typing! My daughter decided to go gluten free with me, so that will make my dinner planning even easier...I can just make one gf version of everything, instead of two separate meals.

Talk to you all later!

Have a good IF week!

Rachel
Old 02-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #139

Hello! I love IF! My team hosted a work party today, and we had the best tamales. They were so good. I love it that I could eat two and not feel guilty. I also had a piece of string cheese and some pistachios at 10:30 for my "breakfast."

Hunger pains arrived at their normal time...about 8:00-8:10 and then I was good afterwards.

Making homemade chicken nuggets and roasted potatoes for dinner.

My daughter came to me with a plan to eat gluten free and to eat less sugar. She's 14.5, and while I do not want her to diet, I can support those concepts. It will make my life easier to have her eating gluten free because I will only need to prepare one meal for dinner.

I hope everyone is having a great IF day!

Rachel
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #140

Good morning!

I didn't really have any hunger pains this morning. I did eat a high protein dinner, so I wonder if that helped?

I forgot to set my alarm clock last night, so I didn't get up to exercise this morning. I was actually disappointed that I didn't get to do it. This is a nice change for me....actually wanting to exercise!

I have my usual foods for today and plain on cheddar potato soup for dinner. And maybe some chocolate chocolate chip ice cream for desert. I love that stuff.

My daughter weighed herself and is already down 2 pounds after switching to a gluten free way to eating. I hope that eliminating wheat will really help her feel better. She may be almost as sensitive to it as I am.

Have a great IF day!

Rachel
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #141

Good morning!

Still working the plan. Had soup for dinner last night, and while it was filling right after eating it, it didn't have enough protein or fat to keep me full. I actually had a little bit of hunger last night, and I've had some early hunger pains this morning. I am about an hour away from opening my window, so I am just going to keep sticking it out.

Constant reminder to myself: eat enough protein and fat with dinner!

I had a nice workout this morning. I woke up early, so I decided I would go ahead and work out for an extra twenty minutes. I really enjoy my morning rides on my exercise bike...I have been watching reruns of Will and Grace...!

Usual food at work today, and we are going out for dinner tonight. I've established a good pattern of IF and exercise and feel good.

Starting week 7 today. Won't weigh myself until TOM is over but would really LOVE to see a 149.something on the scale before the end of the month.

Have a great IF day! (And welcome ALL IF plans...JUDDD, 5:2, Fast 5, 8 Hour Diet, and so on!!)

Rachel
Old 02-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Hello Intermittent Fasting group!

I love that everyone here seems to be doing different things and finding what works for them. I'm learning that to be truly successful with this, that's the key.

I've kind of unintentionally fallen into doing IF with an 8 hour window. I eat lunch around 2:30 and my last food before bed is a high protein snack at 10pm when I take my evening medication. I love that IF eliminates a ton of meal prep and planning. I do bring lunch to work with me, but it's usually something easy to plan and pack.

I am struggling a little bit with the munchy monster after I break my fast. I know that I'm not really hungry though, so I can usually drink some water and be fine - but some days it can be several hours before I stop wanting to eat everything in sight. I know that with IF I can technically eat as long as my window is open - but I'm staying LC and trying to keep the calories reasonable as well.

I do have Green Tea with EVCO and HWC in the morning, but I'm not considering that part of my food window.

I'm also exercising. I try for 20 min in the morning and 20 min in the evening... so far I'm doing a lot better with the morning excersise, which is amazing - because I am NOT a morning person!

Anyway - I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'd love to become a regular poster here, because I really feel like IF is something that works best for me and will continue to do so, even as I get closer to goal and start adding some carbs back in.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Hi Britt! I also stumbled on IF unintentionally. I used to always have trouble trying to figure out what to have for breakfast and how to fit it into my busy morning schedule and then I would be hungry again by noon at which time I would eat lunch, then be hungry again at 3 or 4, have a snack, get hungry around 8 so I would eat dinner, hungry again around 10pm....you get the picture .

Then I skipped breakfast a few days in a row because I was sleeping in late and low and behold I didn't get hungry until 1 or 2 in the afternoon and then when I ate it took less food to satisfy my appetite and my need to snack was diminishing. Luckily it was right around the time that I stumbled on the term "intermittent fasting" here on LC Friends and I was struck with one of those lightbulb moments: oh my gosh, this is what I've been doing the past few days and I'm liking it!

So far it's been great, and very easy to fall into the habit. Sure, there are still some tougher days but in general it has been a very natural rhythm for me to get into. And best of all it has been WORKING! I'm down 12 lbs. in 5 and a half weeks and I would also like to point out this is the first time I've been able to really stick to a "diet" in a very long time!

Like you, I am eating somewhat low carb and I'm sure that if I really went LC (like induction levels) I could probably lose quicker but I just don't want to deprive myself of too much in the worry that it will eventually "break" me and I'll have a full out, carb-laden binge fest! (It's happened in the past ) I try to make at least one of my 2 meals very low carb and then the other one I allow a little bit of carbs or starch (but I'm still mindful).

Anyhoo, I'm blabbering! But it seems like you and I are quite similar and I'm glad to see you here!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #144

Happy Valentiine's Day! Anyone facing any challenges around treats today?

I'm happy to see people posting in this thread. I think it's really helpful to check in, and I love to read about what everyone is doing. I think it's wonderful that intermittent fasting has so many different variations so that we can all adapt it in the way that makes the most sense to us. To me, that's what a long term plan is all about.

I love my way of eating now. I am doing an 8 hour window. I usually have mild hunger pains from about 8:00-8:10. Then I get to work and have coffee. At 10:30, I eat nuts and string cheese. Then for lunch I have apples and peanut butter. And for a snack, I have greek yogurt and berries. Then I go home and have a nice filling dinner and am finished eating before 6:30.

Eating this way has also helped give me the energy to get up and want to work out in the mornings. I can't believe that I want to do it. For so many years, exercise was something that I forced myself to do. And of course, when you hate something, you are most likely not going to stick with it.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #145
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Happy Valentiine's Day! Anyone facing any challenges around treats today?
Happy Valentine's Day to you as well! I'm not really challenged by them, but our office is full of sugary treats today. Someone brought in two big boxes of heart shaped donuts from Dunkin Donuts. The boss came around and left candy hearts and M&Ms on everyone's desk - a friend is passing out heart shaped lollipops. The funny thing is that the only thing I'm tempted by is a bag of oranges that someone brought in. I'm not eating fruit - but wow - they look good!
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Well I had victory over the oranges - sort of. I opened my window at 12:30pm with 1/2 of an orange. I did not experience any of the craving or grinding hunger that I was expecting from the jolt of fructose. I ate my shrimp and other snacks that I'd brought for lunch - went home and had a yummy dinner of Korean Chicken accompanied by cauliflower fried rice and napa cabbage with mushrooms. It was divine! Finished up with dinner a few minutes after 8pm and closed my window for the night.

I added the 1/2 orange to my food tracker and still kept my carbs under my max of 30. I'm so relieved to have tried a bit of something sweet and NOT turned into a raging carbmonster!

I have to say that the orange was FAR sweeter than I remember oranges being! I peeled off each section and savored them slowly, enjoying every juicy bite! Before, I would have just munched on it mindlessly and wished it was something sugary and chocolate. It's nice to be able to really appreciate the delicious sweetness of fruit!

Today I started my day with Green tea with HWC and EVCO - I plan to open my window around 2pm with almonds and a cheese stick and tonight I'm planning to cook scrambled eggs with peppers and mushrooms, bacon and lc pancakes. Can't wait!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 AM   #147

Britt, your meals sound wonderful! YUM!

I am doing good this morning. I wasn't that hungry at dinner last night, but I told myself I should eat more so that I wouldn't be hungry this morning. I made three tacos but only wanted 2. And I just wanted a couple of bites of ice cream. Funny how when I told myself I should eat MORE, my body said nah. In the past when I've told myself I should eat LESS, my body wants to eat, eat, eat, eat, and eat. Maybe that's my hidden secret for weight loss...always tell myself to eat more, ha ha.

And even though I didn't have a large dinner, I still just have mild hunger this morning. I'm about an hour away from eating and feel good. I'll have string cheese and pistachios to open my window in a bit.

I looked in the mirror today and noticed a little change in my midsection. I don't know exactly how to describe it....but....I think I saw a little definition. Just a tiny bit.

Still TOM, so no weighing until it's over.

Have a wonderful IF day, all!

Rachel
Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: portcop01
Stats: 197-148-130
WOE: Lc
Start Date: July 15
I would like to join you guys,I've lost 50 lbs since aug,,,eating high fat low carbs and mod.protein. I try not to eat after 5pm. I always have coffee in the morning with tbs co tbs hwc and Steiva that gets me tru till noon then I have meat and eggs.then around 4 I heat meat and maybe a little spinch..si I try to fast 16 hours or more!!
portcop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #149

Welcome, Becky! 50 pounds since August is amazing! Glad to have you posting here with us! I bet your success will inspire many!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Hi all, This week has been a little tougher, the fasting part is going ok but the scale has been stuck and I haven't lost anything since last weekend, scale is stalled at 212. I suppose it's not so bad, since the scale hasn't gone UP, but it's still hard! I think part of the problem may be that since I've been doing IF I've sometimes allowed myself more "carby" things. Early this week I made an awesome enchilada bake that has black beans and corn tortillas amongst the beef and cheese and I've been bringing it into work to eat for lunch. I thought if the rest of my food was LC and I was still doing ok with my window it wouldn't be a problem but maybe I was wrong Luckily it's pretty much done, I have a little bit left, maybe 1 or 2 servings of it so I think I'll just throw the remainder in the garbage.

Hopefully this weekend will go well, I have a tougher time eating healthy (and curbing the alcohol) on the weekends so I need to be extra diligent! Usually my weight stays the same throughout the weekend (or sometimes I add a pound of water weight that is gone in a day or two) but maybe this weekend I can LOSE a pound?? Oh that would be wonderful!

Have a wonderful weekend and happy fasting to all!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote