Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #91
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
Linda, it's freezing in Utah, too! We had freezing rain and a horrible commute this morning!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #92
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla_latte View Post
I would still like to have coffee and tea at least a couple of times before my window would open (probably around 3) with cream. I've read before about the fasting/cream (or fat) thing. It appears most of you continue to enjoy your coffee before you window opens?

I can stick to the schedule during the week like nobody's business. It's the weekends, especially Saturday, that would be hard to stick to a 5-hour window. I've always made this a definite Up Day on JUDDD because it fits my life. Do you extend your window or just not have one sometimes?

Thanks for your thoughts ur weight on Fast 5?in advance.
Hi -- I have black coffee or tea with splenda during my fast. No cream or CO. To me, having it is not fasting. For your question about weekends, I just started Sunday and it went well. My dh is a night owl so he pretty much stays up a good part of the night so he sleeps until about noonish - so by the time we get to eating, it's the right time for me. We're both retired and I think that makes a difference is our days/nights!

I opened my window at 3 - had a nice steak and salad for dinner - and still need to do some eating before 8
Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Linda, it's freezing in Utah, too! We had freezing rain and a horrible commute this morning!
Cold here in MD too - 14F this morning. Most things in our area were delayed 2 hours to allow the roads crew to do their thing. I'm retired and I don't miss any commute much less a horrible one.
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
ANOTHER busy day at work! This time I didn't get lunch at all Yesterday I ate around 8:30pm and it looks like today I won't be eating until about 7:30 when I get home. I did have cream in my coffee this morning at about 9am. Is it ok to sometimes go 24 hours of fasting? Will it throw my body off or anything like that? I'm very new to this so I don't really know what to expect!

So far I'm down 6 pounds in about 3 weeks. Woohoo!! I'm not really sure if it's because of the IF or because of the LC (I've mashed them together ) I'll take it either way!

Last edited by evas; 01-24-2013 at 05:24 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #95
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Halfway through my 5:2 IF experiment and I'm down 1.5lbs for the week. I have absolutely no idea how I'm losing weight, since I'm cutting out DDs and actually eating more, but I'll take it I'm now 7.5lbs away from my goal weight
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #96

Evas, my personal opinion is that you should be fine throwing in a 24 hour fast now and then. The important thing is to pay attention to how you feel and how your body/mind react.

Sara, that's awesome!

I'm setting another 10:30-6:30 window today. This worked out well for me yesterday, even as I was finished eating at 5:30. I'm going to keep an open 8 hour window for the next few weeks, and if I naturally start having a shorter window, that's fine. But I need to be really careful not to fall into a "less is more" mindset.

I've been feeling good eating this way and have actually felt like getting up and exercising in the mornings. I've done this three times this week and have really surprised myself with my desire to exercise.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #97
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrandma
Stats: 224/155/133
WOE: low carb & IF 16/8 window
Start Date: October 2011
Sara thats great. How exciting to be so close to goal. I really dont understand the science to IF--I only know this is working for me and I think it keeps my brain clearer and I feel happier. Maybe because of the discipline of this lifestyle? ?

Racheal--I use the same window as you and found this works the best. I break my fast with my CO coffee and then eat lunch at 12:30 and a evening meal at 6:00. Feels so wonderful to not snack all evening. That was a monkey on my back!!!

Much warmer here in Minnesota--looks like you guys out East have some bad roads. Stay safe!

God Bless your Friday. Linda
NoSugarGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #98
Junior LCF Member

Evas--sorry I forgot to add this in my post. I do believe that IF and low carb together are a perfect fit for anyone who has a problem with there insulin levels not being stable. I dont know if this is you--but I know it was the problem with my carb addiction. I am not diabetic--but was on my way there at age 62. IF and LC keeps me from having sugar swings-which keeps me in control.(still hard days once in a while if under stress).

Great weight loss And I agree with Rachal. People are having great success doing the 24 hour fast once or twice a week. I dont think I could do it. My hubby would give me too much grief about it

Linda
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: This week: NK/Keto
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarGrandma View Post
Vanilla--thanks for your question. I started doing 16/8 IF after about 9 months on Atkins. I felt I needed to shake things up. I have been doing low carb for 14 months. I just happened to come across IF on the internet and started to read up on it. One thing I had read was that it can take your body up to 3 months to adapt to losing weight with IF. And I actually did see a 5# drop in weight when I hit 3 months.
Quote:
Vanilla, I think we sometimes need to just experiment and figure out what works for us. What if you did an 8 or even 10 hour window on Saturdays?

The author of the 8 Hour Diet claims that doing IF for just three days a week is beneficial. I don't believe that to be true myself, however, I think one day a week with a longer window could work. I've never done it, so I don't know....but, if it made it easy for you to stay in a shorter window every day besides Saturday...and kept you on plan...then it might be worth a try!

I'm not doing cream or coconut oil in my morning coffee because it just seems to make me hungrier, doesn't help me fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower View Post
Hi -- I have black coffee or tea with splenda during my fast. No cream or CO. To me, having it is not fasting. For your question about weekends, I just started Sunday and it went well. My dh is a night owl so he pretty much stays up a good part of the night so he sleeps until about noonish - so by the time we get to eating, it's the right time for me. We're both retired and I think that makes a difference is our days/nights!
Thanks for the thoughts and advice, ladies. I've done so much experimenting I should look like a lab rat!! I envy people who can find what works for them.

I could certainly extend the window on Saturdays. When I did this before, the cream always helped. I'm not LC'ing right now, but may switch over. The fats have always helped my appetite to stay away. I'm on a JUDDD DD and I've only had two cups of coffee, both with cream. Haven't been hungry at all.

Ugh, I don't know what I'm going to do. Thanks for the input, I do appreciate it.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #100

Good morning! I'm happy to say this morning that my scale actually showed a new low for January, 150.9. It's not a huge loss, but I've been seeing 152.something for the last few weeks, so this was nice. I even weighed twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I've made a couple of modifications to my plan. I'm doing an 8 hour window on most days, 10:30-6:30. Sometimes I'll break the fast a little later or end it a little earlier.

Breakfast/lunch/snacks: no sugar or starch, but yes to greek yogurt, nuts, fruit, veggies, meat, fats and so on.

Dinner: a plate of anything I like, plus desert

And I am getting up and doing some light exercise before I go to work in the morning. Not because I have to do it, but because my energy levels are finally decent, and I feel more energized for the whole day when I get up and ride my bike for a little bit instead of hitting snooze over and over and over again.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Good morning! I'm happy to say this morning that my scale actually showed a new low for January, 150.9. It's not a huge loss, but I've been seeing 152.something for the last few weeks, so this was nice. I even weighed twice to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

I've made a couple of modifications to my plan. I'm doing an 8 hour window on most days, 10:30-6:30. Sometimes I'll break the fast a little later or end it a little earlier.

Breakfast/lunch/snacks: no sugar or starch, but yes to greek yogurt, nuts, fruit, veggies, meat, fats and so on.

Dinner: a plate of anything I like, plus desert

And I am getting up and doing some light exercise before I go to work in the morning. Not because I have to do it, but because my energy levels are finally decent, and I feel more energized for the whole day when I get up and ride my bike for a little bit instead of hitting snooze over and over and over again.
WTG on the fat loss! Your plan sound like it is working for you. So glad! I'm down a lb for one week. Feeling better about it all!
Old 01-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Rachel--your weight loss is a motivator for the rest of us. Shows what "keep on keeping on" can accomplish.

Arlene--I so understand how great it is to see the scale move. My scale is hiding in the house somewheres!!! Told my hubby that even if I beg--dont let me have it back for one month. I did try on a pair of pants that were tight in the waist in December and now they fit. But my scale had not moved for 3 weeks. So I was thinking my scale is a liar!! I know this works. We just need to figure which window works best. I really like the IF lifestyle.

Hope everyone has a safe Monday. We were hit with snow and ice tonight. I miss Spring!!!

Linda

Last edited by NoSugarGrandma; 01-27-2013 at 10:47 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 11:55 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Patlaf
Stats: start 226/178/145
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladysilverpatch View Post
I'm doing the Fast5 and find it an easy plan to follow. Today when I open my window at about noon it will have been 24hrs fasting. The question I have is, does anyone here find that after they break their fast and eat, their heart sort of pounds or races for a little while? Mine does. I'm not consuming any caffeine or sugar. Is this normal? The heart rate itself doesn't seem to beat faster, just that I can feel it thump a little. Anyone?
Mona, were you able to start with a 24 hour fast and one meal a day, or did you work up to that bit by bit? I would love to get rid of my "must eat at night" habit. Rachel Heller--the author of the Carb Addicts Diet lost over 100 pounds eating whatever she wanted once a day, in a one hour time limit.

Pat
Patlaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
Pat, for some reason I find IF to be an plan that I can adapt to naturally. I think any of the IF plans will work. There are several that I know of. The earliest I remember was 'The Alternative Diet' where the writer explained how to push that eating farther and farther away so that you may only be eating one (sometimes two) meals. Fast 5, JUDD, 8-hour, and of course Carb Addicts are all using some fasting. I love the idea of Carb Addicts where I can eat a RM and incorporate desserts, but I have to admit it keeps me focused on those things too much. I've also learned there are foods I just need to stay away from: wheat, sugar, processed.
So, Fast 5 works as a lifestyle I can see myself living with (important). My window is usually 1-6 or 2-6. I quit eating at 6. No snacking, no wheat, LC with maybe a potato every now and then. It requires thinking ahead a bit. Planning what to eat later in the day. It's easy to include salads with favorite dressing, meats, vegs. Sometimes homemade soups. I fill up when I eat. It's such a simple way to eat and I love all the free time I get by limiting meals/cooking.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #105

Thank you all!

I am happy with the food I brought to work today: greek yogurt, blueberries, an apple, peanut butter, nuts, and string cheese. I'll eat something in about an hour to open my 10:30 window. I feel like IF does work, and it's just a matter of sticking with it over time.

I felt like exercising again this morning, so I rode my exercise bike for thirty minutes. I can't believe that I am enjoying this. I am not a morning person nor a winter person, but I know on the days I get up and ride my exercise bike before work, I just feel happier over all.

Had another horrible commute on snowy roads this morning, but I made it safely to work. Now I'm just praying for no new snow this afternoon.

Dinner tonight will be homemade tacos (a personal favorite) and a half cup of my favorite ice cream, Haagen-Daz chocolate chocolate chip.

I agree that with IF, the important thing is to find a window that works for you. I had great success with a 6 hour window a few years ago and got down to a happy weight of 132-135. I still need the 8 hour option, though. I know if I let myself get too hungry, I will rebel, overeat, and so on.

Have a great IF day, everyone!
Old 01-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

I LOVE the positive thinking on this thread. Enjoy so much coming here each day.

I went 20 hours today and have enjoyed my eating so far. Chicken breast, small salad, some olives and jalapeno peppers. Capped off my meal with some coffee with CO. Does eating this way make anyone else so appreciative of food? It does me!

I can hardly wait to take my measurements. I've noticed looser skin on my arms and legs -- guess I better get to doing my callanetics and lifting some weights.

I sure wish I had done something about this 20+ years ago - then maybe I wouldn't be dealing with the loose, saggy skin.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #107

I agree--I appreciate food more and am not willing to settle. I want to eat good stuff that tastes good to me!

I am doing well with an 8 hour window. 10:30-6:30 seems to be the key for me. I've had an apple with peanut butter, greek yogurt with blueberries, and string cheese and nuts so far today. We're going out for dinner, and I'll eat a plate of whatever sounds good, plus a little chocolate for desert.

I was looking at my weekly averages for this month and pleased to see slow but steady progress. High weight this month of 155.5; low weight this month of 150.5. I've been feeling good and enjoying my morning exercise too....just gentle exercise of riding my exercise bike for about thirty minutes, but it helps wake me up, and I just feel better all day long.

Have a great IF day!

Rachel
Old 01-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Love your new avi Rachel. Those are some good averages. i want to get back to the 150's so bad -- but I know it will come!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #109

Thank you Arlene!

We went out for dinner last night. I had a small bowl of rice noodles and some pork, with a gluten free cupcake from a local bakery for desert. The food was okay but not great. And I am feeling it today. 90 minutes until my window opens, and I am hungry. I will definitely look forward to my apple and peanut butter.

Note to self: dinner needs to have enough protein and fat.

I didn't weigh myself this morning, but I did get up and do my morning exercise. That's three mornings in a row...I almost can't believe it, lol.

Have a great IF day, no matter what form of IF you are following!

Rachel
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM   #110

Good morning!

I'm feeling good this morning. Hunger is more under control than it was yesterday, probably because I had more protein and fat with my dinner last night. I had a bowl of homemade chili and a scoop of chocolate chocolate chip ice cream for dinner last night.

Today is my usual round of greek yogurt, blueberries, apple, peanut butter, string cheese, and so on. I cut up a cucumber for my daughter's lunch and threw in a few slices for myself as well. My daughter goes out to eat with her dad on Thursdays, so I'll probably do a grilled ham and cheese (gluten free) or some gluten free mac and cheese.

Worked out this morning!

My daughter found an exercise challenge on Pinterest that she wants to do in February, so I'll be supporting her with that starting on Friday. Should be fun!

Have a great IF day, all!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: taokeema
Stats: 187/145-146/122 5'3"
WOE: 40-100 g net carb, HF, IF, whole foods freak
Start Date: 2009 -10#/2011 -22#/April 2012 LCHF
good luck with the exercise challenge, Rachel. i have been trying to incorporate some regularly in the morning before i work, it also helps with the energy level, and just makes me feel better all day.

love your new avie!

tao
taokeema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #112

Thank you, Tao!

Had a late meeting this morning and didn't eat until almost noon. Had an apple and peanut butter. Then some friends invited me to lunch, so I broke with my regular foods and enjoyed gluten free pepperoni pizza. I'll definitely be full until dinner! I think we're going out tonight, and since I had a high carb lunch, I'll probably go for more protein at dinner.

I got up and exercised this morning, too. That's five out of five!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #113

My big lunch filled me up so much that all I wanted for dinner was a small salad with tuna. Will be interested to see how hungry I feel in the am. Went bowling tonight, so I got some fun exercise in!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Doing well on the Fast5. Today actually had a fast of 20.5 hours. Felt so good. Rachael, your day sounded great - I love bowling - it's been so long since I did it. Not too popular around here so most of the lanes have closed and those that are still open, only do leagues. Oh well.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Good morning ladies! I'm happy to report that I made it through my Vegas vacation quite successfully! For the most part I stuck to my eating window, but I indulged a little too much on alcohol and had one night where I ate TWO cinnabons (eek!). But on the flip side i did a TON of walking every day. I came back only up one pound and that pound (plus 4 more) disappeared this week. Wow, what a whoosh!

Rachel - good job on your exercising so many days in a row! That's something I definitely struggle with. I'm just so lazy! I need to take a cue from you though!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Good job evas!!! It does feel good to totally enjoy yourself and do no damage.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #117

Good morning! I love hearing everyone's stories! It is great to be able to work this into a lifestyle and to be able to go on vacation and eat enjoyable meals without worrying about adding several pounds!

I had a weird eating day yesterday. I had scrambled eggs with ham at about 11 am, and it filled me so much that I didn't need to eat a "lunch." We went out to see a movie at 3, and by 4, I was starting to feel hungry. By 5, when the movie ended, I was feeling sick-to-my-stomach hungry. So, I went to the store and got some nuts. Lesson learned: I need to be better prepared and always have nuts or an easy snack in my purse. I don't mind mild hunger pains at all, but when I start feeling sick, that's not good.

I did make a good dinner last night: crab cakes, creamy potatoes, and asparagus. Desert was delicious...some expensive chocolate covered nuts. The walnuts were the very best. I am looking forward to having them for desert again tonight!

So, lessons learned while IF'ing so far:
1. make sure to have a snack in my purse to eat during my window if I need it
2. eat enough protein/fat at the end of my window or I will be hungry the next morning

We've had two days of our "abs" challenge. It has been harder than I thought it would be, lol. I am good at the easy cardio in the mornings (exercise bike), but push-ups and crunches are a bit more challenging!

Have a great IF Sunday, everyone!

Rachel
Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #118

Oh, and the bowling was fun. I always forget that it's good exercise, too. We didn't realize it was "disco bowling" on Friday night, but that just made it even more fun. Our bowling place has a lot of leagues, too, but they recently started allowing for online reservations which is really nice. I can just go and look and see if there are lanes open and not be disappointed to show up and be told that we can't play because of leagues!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #119

Good morning!

Dinner last night was three homemade tacos (yum!) and some chocolate covered nuts.

Today, I brought my usual foods to work, like apples, peanut butter, string cheese and so on. We are going out for a birthday lunch for one of my coworkers, but I'll keep it fairly low carb at lunch. My daughter and I are making homemade pizza tonight, so I want to save some carbs for that dinner.

Got up and exercised this morning, and we are on day 4 of our abs workout tonight. The abs workout only takes a couple of minutes, and it's fun so far...but I am really out of shape. My muscles can feel it every day!

Have a great Monday everyone!

Rachel
Old 02-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Have been doing a bunch of reading/reseaching and think I'm changing to the 8-hour diet. I just got the book on my kindle and reading it now. I'm hoping I can find something that will work that doesn't stress me and my dh so much. I hate to say it, but I need to work around him, due to circumstances I cannot control and the 8 hour will be so much more workable.

Rachel, this is what you are doing, right? I'll keep following you and see what you do!!

Thanks

Last edited by wildflower; 02-04-2013 at 03:51 PM..