Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #571
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ddailey320
Stats: depressed/progressing/HAPPY
Hi all! It's rather late in the year, but I've recently made my way back to the LCF boards and would love to join your chats! I am no stranger to IF (actually, if you look at the very first page you'll see this thread starts off with all the info info I had originally posted from the 2012 IF thread I had started. i had practiced different forms of IF for years now- I prefer an eating window usually from 7-10 PM. I did fall off the low carb/IF wagon for a bit and regrettably paid the price in the form of weight gain In 2011 I hit my all time adult low after many years of yo-yo ing. Looking back, this was likely too low and not truly maintainable (without killing myself exercising and not eating). I do have a history with eating disorders, so I do walk a fine line with healthy weight loss and exercise vs destructive behaviors. I tend to be an All or Nothing kinda person. Sorry if this is all TMI, just letting you know my backstory. I think hormones also play a big roll in weight loss/gain for me. I have always had thyroid issues and I think this recent (past year or so) of weight gain triggered some unwanted effects. So here I am back focused, dedicated, and working towards a better me!

I have only read a couple pages back, but sounds like you are all doing so well!

Like many, i do my own modified version of IFing. I tend to incorporate different eating plans (fat fasts, full fasts, egg fasts, and even the occasional planned "cheat day") I have found that my body likes variety and that it does best when I keep it guessing.
I am also a bit of a nutrition need and tend to read about many different plans.

I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #572
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
You might like to come join the Big Breakfast thread. I know you eat late and I used to also but I now eat all my calories for breakfast (recent audits are 3000+) and unlimited carbs and I am losing faster than ever. There are 2 books that many of us follow that give the science and hormonal benefits to eating early and carbs AND chocolate even EVERY day. The Stress Eating Cure by the Heller's and The Big Breakfast Diet by Dr. Daniella Jacobowitz. I eat in a one hour time frame and fast the other 23. That is how Rachael Heller lost 150 pounds!!! There are several gals following it who are in the 105-120 pound range who are no longer starving themselves or running 25 miles a day (literally!) To keep thin. Oriana is one who was a fruitarian for a long time and now some days eats 4000 (not an exageration) and is maintaining at 105-110 pounds. I tell everyone who will listen because it has changed my life and really does work!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 11-18-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #573
Major LCF Poster!

I am definitely not a breakfast person- I also run a home daycare so my mornings are usually tied up with taking care of 8 kids or so, lol. I will absolutely take a look into it and read up though. Like I said, I love reading nerdy nutrition info. Congrats on your weight loss so far. Looks like it is indeed working for you!
ddailey320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #574
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddailey320 View Post
I am definitely not a breakfast person- I also run a home daycare so my mornings are usually tied up with taking care of 8 kids or so, lol. I will absolutely take a look into it and read up though. Like I said, I love reading nerdy nutrition info. Congrats on your weight loss so far. Looks like it is indeed working for you!
Ya 8 would make eating early a real challenge. I have to get my son ready for school and the toddler ready too and that is bad enough! Lol

In all fairness it took me three attempts over about three months to slowly switch and transition to morning meals. Not just juggling morning hustle-bustle but also my body. I could easily fast until 2pm most days with ZERO hunger and I never woke up wanting breakfast. Now I love going to bed with an empty stomach. Even at my weight it totally sinks in and I love waking up hungry and excited to attack the day getting my eating out of the way. It is weird but I also find it kind of liberating! Lol

MIW
Old 11-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #575
Major LCF Poster!

Also I am a nurse (RN) and I have spent many hours researching hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance. I do a combo of IF, CAD, BBD and by putting together various techniques to minimize insulin release and prolong seratonin and inhibit cortisol I have been so excited to see how far I have been able to push my metabolism. It has been very eye opening just how good my metabolism really is!

MIW
Old 11-19-2013, 07:01 AM   #576
Major LCF Poster!

Yesterday was my DH's last day home on vacation. He typically works a split 2nd/3rd shift. Having him home was great, but certainly alters our normal routine and schedules here (meals included)! I opened my window with 2 stalks of celery and some dip along with a handful of pumpkin seeds while starting to make dinner around 6pm. Then last night he and the kids had chop suey (macaroni w/meat sauce) so I stole some of the hamburger and cooked myself up some eggplant I had in the fridge. Parmesan coated eggplant layered with sauce, cheese and the little bit of hamburg along with a small salad. Finished my eating window with some baked pumpkin "mush"with whipped cream- been on a total pumpkin kick lately! So incredibly stuffed by 8pm!

I have been enjoying reading through the BB threads MIW... I think I'd be busting at the seems and puking if I tried eating as much y'all!! (pleasee take that as nothing less than a compliment) Lol, I have just never had a big appetite, very interesting though! I do have to make a point of upping my fat/calories every so often as I find I tend to taken too few calories when eating on plan! That's when my fat fasts and egg fasts come into play.

Since starting back up on IFing 2 weeks ago I am down 8.4lbs. I try to only weight 3 times a week as I tend to get a bit obsessed otherwise! Hoping for another loss tomorrow morning.

Does your family (or anyone's for that matter) have issues with you not joining in on meals? For me it's not a biggie as I never eat breakfast, kids and DH are gone before lunch (which i also don't eat) and then I am able to join the kids for dinner (not always the same food, but dinner nonetheless)!

Have a great Tuesday!
Old 11-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #577
Major LCF Poster!

No we all eat whenever. My son has autism so he is picky and particular about food and has his own menu for the most part. My daughter is only soon to be 4 are doesnt mind and self guides too for a lot of snacks and eats breakfast with me. I make them all their meals and snacks but I just do my one breakfast meal. Hubby eatscwhen he feels like it but we both cook a lot and make plenty for the other to eat and have some. He still likes lunch and dinner.

a
As to the calories and amounts- trust me I had to work up to it and do push it to my limits sometimes. I never would have thought I could eat as much as I do and still lose! It does blow my mind but there is a bit of science to it. I have never been a binge eater. Never secretive about eating. Never bulemic or a purger. I have done fasts, extreme calorie deprivation diets before however. I am very open about how much I eat to people because I am so stoked and I cant believe all the years I spent starving and miserable and only getting fatter as a result of it....

MIW
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #578
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
I am convinced that calorie restriction causes weight gain. I admit that I do fast for 23 hours but sometimes I'll have a cm. That doesn't mean I don't eat calories though. I just eat the whole 3000 in a meal! I jumped a bit as I have had late rms so I am 109 today back up from 107 but I don't fret now as I see it come down. Plus I had a lasagne brunch yesterday at 2 p.m. along with 2 pc. of cheesecake and a huge salad. I will have a BB of ribeye, salad and ice cream today. One of my fave!
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #579
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
I am convinced that calorie restriction causes weight gain. I admit that I do fast for 23 hours but sometimes I'll have a cm. That doesn't mean I don't eat calories though. I just eat the whole 3000 in a meal! I jumped a bit as I have had late rms so I am 109 today back up from 107 but I don't fret now as I see it come down. Plus I had a lasagne brunch yesterday at 2 p.m. along with 2 pc. of cheesecake and a huge salad. I will have a BB of ribeye, salad and ice cream today. One of my fave!
Exactly. That is me too. More calories just eat less frequently. Plus oriana you know by now the cycles so dont get deterred!!!

MIW
Old 11-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #580
Major LCF Poster!

down another 1.2 from Monday

No hunger all day but i'll tell ya- as soon as that first bit of food hits my mouth it really does taste so good! lol, I think fasting hightens all of your senses, particularly taste!

Tonights Menu:
*2 stalks of celery w/2 Tbls dip and 1.5 oz of chedder cheese
*Mock cream of wheat (1/2 C ricotta cheese, almond milk, egg, walden SF pancake syrup, vanilla, truvia)
*2 eggs w/ 2 turkey sausage patties in 2 tsp butter
*small bowl of Pumpin "mush" w/ whipped cream (essentially crustless, SF pumpkin pie)

This will be over the course of 2-2.5 hours- 1 is just too rushed and has me feeling for the rest of the night.

Hoping everyone has a good night (happy eating in the morning MIW and Oriana)

Last edited by ddailey320; 11-20-2013 at 04:28 PM..
Old 11-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #581
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
hi everyone! I'm just starting to research IF. if you go for hours without eating don't you wind up weak, shaky, low on energy or with a severe headache?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #582
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
hi everyone! I'm just starting to research IF. if you go for hours without eating don't you wind up weak, shaky, low on energy or with a severe headache?
No I dont. And I fast for 23 hours. The first couple of days you might have to get used to it but I find if I confine my carbs to a one hour timeframe it doesnt matter how much I eat I do not usually get hungry again later nor do I crash. That is usually from eating lots of small meals frequently and is a sign of hypoglycemia. This woe works for people with hyperinsulinemia so if you are getting signs of low blood sugar ( the symptoms you mentioned) you likely have it. It means your body is producing too much insulin. The only times I feel shakey are if I do not get enough protein or when I first start working out.

MIW
Old 11-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #583
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Good morning to everyone.

Still loving this WOE. I am also fasting 23 hours and it is working great. Actually, it is the only plan that I have been able to stick with lately and was down to 139.6 this morning. Haven't seen the 130's since last May. I have been doing this for a while and have no signs of weakness or hunger. It has really been controlling my blood sugar issues, too.

Today's menu:
1/2 serving homemade sloppy jo with light bun
salad with lettuce, boiled egg, 2 oz turkey, homemade dressing
1 cup squash
yogurt
homemade pumpkin pie
Atkins bar

Hope all have a great day!!
hopetolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #584
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spoiltmomof2
Stats: 230/180/138
WOE: Lap Band/LC
Makeitwork: The doctor officially called it reactive hypoglycemia. I had a glucose test done and basically the further out I got from drinking the drink the lower my sugars dropped, like abnormally low, not just low normal. I ended up in the upper 40's, lower 50's.

If I remember correctly I think he said normal would have been maybe 75-80?
spoiltmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #585
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiltmomof2 View Post
Makeitwork: The doctor officially called it reactive hypoglycemia. I had a glucose test done and basically the further out I got from drinking the drink the lower my sugars dropped, like abnormally low, not just low normal. I ended up in the upper 40's, lower 50's.

If I remember correctly I think he said normal would have been maybe 75-80?
Hypoglycemia means low blood sugar. Your blood sugar is low because you are producing too much insulin. That means hyperinsulinemia. It is a syndrome that will eventually lead to diabetes in most people. Testing blood glucose is way easier than testing blood insulin levels. You may want to read The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet by the Heller's. It is specifically for hyperinsulinemia and the EASIEST of all the diets aimed at controlling the release of insulin. I combo that diet with The Big Beakfast Diet by Dr. Daniella Jacobowitz who is and endocrinologist along with extreme IF. Do not fall into the advice for frequent small meals. That is only making hyperinsulinemics MORE hungry, fat, and insulin resistant. Most MD's know zilch when it comes to eating right and diets to recommend for people who are pre-diabetic.

Every time you eat you release insulin. Up to 10 times more than needed if you are hyperinsulinemic. You wear out your liver and pancreas with all that insulin production and become MORE insulin resistant in your cells which in turn makes the liver and pancreas try to secrete more insulin. It is a cycle that can be treated but there is no cure.

I like CAD along with IF because I can still eat carbs every day! There are many diets out there but CAD imo teaches someone how to eat at the right frequency and not to graze which every other diet even atkins or paleo lets you eat as frequently as you want and just fc

Last edited by Makeitwork; 11-30-2013 at 10:30 AM..
Old 11-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #586
Major LCF Poster!

Continued from above

The other diets only focus on the type of foods but you can eat all day long if you want which is bad bad bad.

Here are some simple rules: you can eat carbs of your choice once a day. Should have at least 7 ounces of protein with your carbs. Try to also have a large portion of low carb veggies. Eat your meals within a one hour timeframe. Wait at least 90 minutes between meals and eat no more than 4 times a day. You can have one meal that has carbs a day. Any other meal or snack is only to be low carb veggies and protein/ fat. No diet sodas, low carb products, gum, etc. It all causes insulin release. That is it!!!

When I first started CAD I
Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #587
Major LCF Poster!

When I first started CAD I ate 4 times a day. When I started to fast and eliminate meals I got LESS hungry. That is when I started upping my calories at my carbs meal to be sure I wasnt losing by calorie deprivation. I now eat one meal a day most days and fast the other 23. I eat anywhere from 1800-3800 Calories and 300-500 gms of carbs and still lose! I eat all fruit smoothies with full fat yogurt and ice cream milkshakes with regular half and half. I am no longer storing what I eat to fat and am instead burning off stored fat even though I am eating more calories than ever. It is because I am no longer secreting insulin all day long.

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 11-30-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Old 12-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #588
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
Daily, I like the idea of eating late at 7-8 p.m. It makes me still feel full the next day . Have you looked into the Carb Addicts Diet. How much have you lost eating one meal a day? Have you tried other diets? I have with no success.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #589
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 2014
I just looked into this thread and now have to go to work, but this is very interesting. I started IF Dec 31st and am loving this WOE! My husband has done the 23 hr fasting since he was a teen, but I always thought it was bad for him! lol Will be reading up on the books recommended. Whoop Whoop!
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 AM   #590
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havefaith9 View Post
I just looked into this thread and now have to go to work, but this is very interesting. I started IF Dec 31st and am loving this WOE! My husband has done the 23 hr fasting since he was a teen, but I always thought it was bad for him! lol Will be reading up on the books recommended. Whoop Whoop!
Hey nice to have you! It just feels natural now for me most days to eat just one big meal. However if I do eat again- I just eat low carb: protein/fat and low carb veggies. Works great!

MIW
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 AM   #591
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Havefaith9
Stats: HW: 217 199.5/188.5/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: April 2014
Intermittent Fasting Plans 2014

Thank you for the welcome MIW. I don't know how you go all day. Lol. I'm just trying to keep it an 8 hr window then 7 then 6. One day I mite be able to go all day-but I doubt it! Ha
Havefaith9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #592
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: angelasherell
Stats: 165/145/135
WOE: VLC/ZC
Start Date: 08/01/08
I do a 18 hr IF M-F and a 24 fast once a week, generally on weekends! During the 24 hour fast I am on cloud nine!
angelasherell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #593
Major LCF Poster!

It does get eaiser! It will adjust your homones, especially insulin, cortisol, serotonin and you willl just fell full for HOURS and hours! The other trick is to really eat and get full. That is what works best for me and I feel like I just ate even 10 hours later! Also drink lots of water or plain teas. I avoid anything that might trigger insulin release the other 23 hours like MSG, anything sugar free/artificial sweeteners, caffeine, etc.

Hope those tips help and just do what comes natural to you. THat is how you will make a diet into a way of eating and a lifestyle instead of a crash diet gimmick fad way of eating

MIW
Old 01-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #594
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Nancypie11
Stats: 191/172/145
WOE: LCHF/IF, insulin resistant
Start Date: Dec 17th 2012
Is there a new post for 2014?
Nancypie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #595
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: meeha
Stats: 258/258/when it feels right
WOE: My Way
Start Date: 1/09/2014
Hey Everyone,
I have IF off and on I am currently doing it (started back today). It's soooo amazing to me how if I wait to eat until the evening I am not hungry at all during the entire day but if I eat in the morning I am hungry and want to eat every waking moment.

I want to be in tune with my body and what it wants and I just noticed good results I am IF so right now I am just going with the flow. The only thing I am trying to figure out is if I want to keep it LC or eat whatever I want but just keep it once a day.

I usually drink water and tea throughout the day with no problem then eat around 7pm or 8pm and I'm good.

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's progress.

Last edited by meeha; 01-09-2014 at 06:26 PM..
meeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #596
Major LCF Poster!

If someone wants to start a 2014 page go for it! I know traffic for IF is hit or miss but I still check in from time to time and have been on this thread since the 2012. I just can't cut and paste as I am using an app like a smart phone platform but if someone wants to get it going and can cut and past the intro or type one up for intermittent fasting that would be great! Or if not, but it seems there is interest when I get a chance in the next few days I will start a 2014 thread.

MIW
Old 01-11-2014, 06:10 AM   #597
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: slimlizzie
Stats: 186/180/148 fully clothed
WOE: LC
Start Date: 1999
I will try starting the new page..

I am kind of new to IF but certainly will give it a try.

I did it..! New Start IF 2014!

I hope you all will come on over..

Last edited by slimlizzie; 01-11-2014 at 06:24 AM..
slimlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #598
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Eieio
Stats: 155/140/130 (130)
WOE: Atkin, JUDDD
Start Date: Dec-10
Searching for help with fast5 diet

Terri
Eieio is offline   Reply With Quote