Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
A question to this lovely group of enlightened people!

I have/ and have read the Dr. Johnson book.
I have been seriously low carb for almost 4 years now.
I'm close to my goal...and am enjoying being in the kitchen without threat of going off plan while cooking for My Loving Spouse.

The question: Has anyone explored the 5:2 Diet?
That would be 2 days of what we would called a DD (500cal or less)...not consecutive...and the other 5 with healthy focus....for me, that would be No Wheat, focus with high fat/low carb/mod. protein.

Deciding on 2 days a week for DD...feels more appealing to me.
I've been lurking for a long time!!!!
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2013, 03:45 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tammeli
Stats: 155/145/135 5'7"
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: On and off for 10 years
Trying IF again

Hello! I really need to get my eating under control and want to give IF a try again. I would love to hear about other people's results! Thanks!
tammeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
GG, I don't have any experience with the plan you're describing, but if you can do low calorie days, then why not give it a try and see what happens? I feel like much of IF is figuring out what's comfortable and easy to do consistently!

Tammara, welcome!

I am doing weekly average weights. I'm down about a pound this week, which is great. My highest since I started was 155.5 and my lowest is 152, but my current average is 152.8. That will be my starting number for this week.

Window yesterday was 11-6, so about 7 hours. Could be a longer window today as my daughter has a racquetball game tonight, and it's going to be a bit of a drive. I'll push my breakfast/lunch back as far as I can, but I'm going to go by hunger.
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Galveston, both my sister and my lovely man do beautifully with 5:2.
I do my best not to resent them for this, because it is absolutely not enough for me.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #35

Opened my window at noon...and it wasn't even hard. Now I'll have plenty of time to get my dinner in and still do a 7-8 hour window for the day.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 277/261.8/150
Start Date: 2/23/14
Hi! I'd love to join you all. I was doing IF last year while low carbing and found it really suited me so now that I'm back to lc I really want to get back to IF too. Last time I found it really helped me stop obsessing over food, stop snacking, improved my bg readings, and helped move the scale. Planning to start tomorrow with an 8 hr window.
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ladysilverpatch
Stats: 249/206/168
WOE: whole foods/lc/fast-5
Start Date: Jan 2001
I'm doing the Fast5 and find it an easy plan to follow. Today when I open my window at about noon it will have been 24hrs fasting. The question I have is, does anyone here find that after they break their fast and eat, their heart sort of pounds or races for a little while? Mine does. I'm not consuming any caffeine or sugar. Is this normal? The heart rate itself doesn't seem to beat faster, just that I can feel it thump a little. Anyone?
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #38

Good morning! Everything worked out great with my window yesterday. Opened at noon and was done eating by 6:30. I'm a little hungry this morning, but I'd like to push my window back a bit more. We'll see how it goes. Eating at home tonight, so we'll be finished by 6. I'd like to do an 8 hour window or less per day, so I think I can wait to eat for an hour. That would give me 10-6 for the day.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #39
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I have been JUDDDing, too, but find that I am only eating later in the day. I think for maintenance it will be great.

Nice to ''see'' you Beeb! Hope this works for you, too.
Hey there!! Well, started 8 hour diet on Monday and I'm finding it incredibly easy and it fits so well into my life style! Have lost and gained .8 pounds in the 2 days I've been on it, but that was from eating WAY too many carbs yesterday. Need to get to the store for some leafy veggies and stuff!

No binge issues either so far and THAT is a good thing!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #40

Had a meeting at work which kept me distracted until 11. So I opened my window then! Perfect! Had my low carb lunch and looking forward to dinner, which will be potato cheese soup and something sweet for desert, probably chocolate chocolate-chip ice cream.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Hi all, I'm a newbie, not even sure if this is the spot for me. I set my plans on a low carb diet just about 2 weeks ago and at the time I had never heard of IF. Fast forward to yesterday and I saw someone mention it in another thread and wanted to know what it was. I started to do a little reading online and was surprised to find I was already kind of doing it. I have been having coffee only in the morning until my lunch time which falls around 2 and then eating dinner around 8 and that is it for the day. It seems to suit me well, like I've just naturally fallen into this pattern which is encouraging. It has also made my mornings so much easier. It's a relief not to have to think about what I'm going to eat and allowing enough time to do so in the mornings. I'm going to continue to read up on the different types of IF there are out there and what the benefits are. It's exciting!
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #42

Good morning!

I'm happy to say that it's after noon, and I'm not hungry yet. I had meetings this morning that kept me busy. I am excited to get into a good window where it's easy for me to keep pushing my food back until at least noon. Would love to get back to a 5-6 hour window, where I experienced great success in the past.

I did my own little experiment by doing cream in my coffee one morning and doing coconut oil in my coffee another morning. I feel like I am one of those people that does best without any calories in my fasting period. When I drank coffee that had calories in it, I did get much hungrier than when I just drink my black coffee.

Tesee, I agree that it's nice not to have to worry about what to eat in the morning. It sounds like you naturally IF, and that's great!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

I'm doing the Fast 5. Usually only having one meal because once I eat it is a long while before I'm hungry again. So, today after fasting for over 24 hrs. I had a meal I'm been wanting.
I'm a Southern girl and want some grits every once in a while. So, I measured out the dry grits and fixed me some grits/butter with 3 poached eggs and sausage. Totally satisfied until I eat tomorrow in about 24 hrs. It was higher in carbs than I usually have and I've been staying away from all grains. But, this was something I allowed myself to have, I love the control this plan allows me to have.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #44
Why wait, just do it NOW!

Gallery: Beeb
Stats: Then: 162.4 Now: 158 :( Darn Holidays!!
WOE: LC..My "Don't Have To Think Because It's Simple"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Good morning!

I'm happy to say that it's after noon, and I'm not hungry yet. I had meetings this morning that kept me busy. I am excited to get into a good window where it's easy for me to keep pushing my food back until at least noon. Would love to get back to a 5-6 hour window, where I experienced great success in the past.

I did my own little experiment by doing cream in my coffee one morning and doing coconut oil in my coffee another morning. I feel like I am one of those people that does best without any calories in my fasting period. When I drank coffee that had calories in it, I did get much hungrier than when I just drink my black coffee.

Tesee, I agree that it's nice not to have to worry about what to eat in the morning. It sounds like you naturally IF, and that's great!
I have found in the past that adding coconut oil to my black coffee in the morning made me very hungry, but adding my little TB of light cream kept me going until 1:30 today, a half hour after my window opened. I'm finding this WOE so easy and I'm loving it. Will see if it starts to move my weight in the next week. I know, with me, I need to give my body time to adjust for a different WOE to work.
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: fiddlejen
Stats: 296 oh no!!/287/..a whole lot less!!..
WOE: Fast-5
Start Date: IF 2013->Atkins 2/20. 3/13 aiming for Atkins Again
Something I enjoy about IF--aside from the extra $$money still sitting in my wallet when I leave the grocery store--is to occasionally explain to someone that I am in fact sticking to a real diet... the rules of which say that I can eat as much as I want of whatever I want.
fiddlejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Today I went to a small potluck luncheon event. Lunch was at noon. About 5 hours early for me! Well, seeing & smelling the food made me feel hungry... but I'm starting to learn. I was able to restrain myself at the serving table, and only took what I figured my stomach could hold, instead of what my nose & eyes were recommending. There was a lovely beef stew with cabbage & turnips... mmm yummy! But I managed to leave more white space showing than covered on my plate.
Then, I barely finished what I had taken. I had figured that I would do an 8-hour window today instead of 5-hour, since I started so early. (My struggle has always been late-day hunger!) Also, I gave myself permission to go off-plan entirely today if I need to, since even 8 pm might leave me too hungry to sleep without a snack. Well, there's no guarantee about possibly needing a snack, but otherwise, I have completely surprised myself. I had some more food after I came home, but then closed the fridge, and 5 o'clock came and went with no sign of hunger. About an hour ago I was feeling a bit peckish, but, some selzer water has done the trick so far. And, even if I do find myself needing some cheese after a while, still, being otherwise fine from 3 pm till now... wow!!
Old 01-18-2013, 05:06 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 277/261.8/150
Start Date: 2/23/14
Sounds like everyone is doing really well and all of us that are new and newly returning to IF are surprising ourselves by how naturally eating within a set window of time feels. I must say that I have only been back to IF for a couple days but I'm already reaping the benefits of a reduced appetite,increased energy, lower blood sugars (I'm T2 diabetic), and the scale is moving in the right direction again. Woo Hoo!

I've always enjoyed plenty of cream in my coffee but the last couple days I had my coffee while fasting with only coconut oil... and it's really not so bad! It has helped suppress my appetite and maybe even given me extra energy. I think I like it.

Yesterday my window was 5 hours and that will be my goal window but I'm not sure if that will work today unless I can push for a late lunch with my friend and/or an early dinner with the family.
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Lesson for today: I really cannot sleep on an empty stomach.

Went to bed last night, still in my fasting-time. Read for a little while, until just about ready to turn off the light my stomach woke up. Decided to ignore it. That didn't work, got some water, tried again. I was lying there so tired and also wide-awake... etc.

Well, without getting too repetitive, before I could fall asleep, I wound up eating a bunch of junk. (Along with the few pieces of plain cheese that I would've eaten if I'd just gone ahead & had the bedtime-snack in the first place.)

This morning the scale is back up by most of the two pounds that were gone since I started. Although I did Not eat two pounds of food in the middle of the night. So I guess my scale is just being mean to me.

In reality, yesterday I consumed fewer calories & carbs that what I'd been eating a month ago. And I stuck to the IF plan until after I went to bed.
If I had simply gone ahead and had a small light bedtime meal, I would've done better overall than trying to stick it out.

So.. for the future that Will be my plan. If I need to start eating early, then I must plan to make an IF exception at bedtime. A controlled, planned, and hopefully well-chosen damage-control exception, which will then be part of the plan.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #49

Good morning, all. Window yesterday of 12:30-5:30, which worked out great.

I am busy in meetings at work this morning. Goal is to not open my window until noon or later. I am making homemade gluten free lasagna for dinner tonight, so I probably won't eat dinner until 6:30 or so. I am happy to say that I have been consistently hitting under an 8 hour window. and often less.

I am to the age where my weight just doesn't fly off, so I'm happy with any small loss. I'm averaging my daily weights to account for scale changes due to salt, water retention, and so on. And I'm in this for the long haul this time. My one big "rule" is: "don't quit."

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #50
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Gal View Post
A question to this lovely group of enlightened people!

I have/ and have read the Dr. Johnson book.
I have been seriously low carb for almost 4 years now.
I'm close to my goal...and am enjoying being in the kitchen without threat of going off plan while cooking for My Loving Spouse.

The question: Has anyone explored the 5:2 Diet?
That would be 2 days of what we would called a DD (500cal or less)...not consecutive...and the other 5 with healthy focus....for me, that would be No Wheat, focus with high fat/low carb/mod. protein.

Deciding on 2 days a week for DD...feels more appealing to me.
I've been lurking for a long time!!!!
I was coming here to post about this There's a thread going on in the JUDDD section about the new book that's coming out next month, called The Fast Diet by Dr. Michael Mosley. He also has a documentary out that I watched a few days ago, that's really good. He explores fasting and then intermittent fasting, and lays out the science/research on this woe nicely. In the documentary he ends up chosing the 5:2 plan for himself. It sounds like it's a slower way of losing, but for those who don't need to lose a lot, or those of us who are getting close to goal/maintanance, it's defnitely something to consider

And it does sound very close to JUDDD, except instead of every other day rotations you just have two DDs a week and your calories for a woman are a straight 500, instead of fluctuating below that based on your weight.

I may experiment with this plan next week-get off my rotations and just try two DDs, to see what happens. I'm within 10lbs of my goal weight and I'm looking at something that's not 'counting intensive' for maintenance. Having to count just a couple DDs a week sounds pretty good

Last edited by mom23kids; 01-18-2013 at 10:36 AM..
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #51
Established

While looking for The Fast Diet on Amazon I came across The 5:2 Diet Book, by Kate Harrison. They both sound like the same thing, but Harrison's book is cheaper for the kindle version so I may go ahead and get it
Old 01-18-2013, 11:26 AM   #52
Established

Ok, just watched an interview with Michael, the author of The Fast Diet, and he said that he's now in maintenance and just does one low calorie day a week/6 days of normal eating. This has allowed him to maintain his current weight. This is definitely something I need to look into more for when I get my goal weight
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NoSugarGrandma
Stats: 224/155/133
WOE: low carb & IF 16/8 window
Start Date: October 2011
Howdy to everyone and would love to join this group. I have been doing IF for 5 months and can't imagine ever stopping it. Telling myself that I can not eat after 7:00pm--has really broken my evening snack habit. Being low carb before I started to IF really made this possible--I didnt have the crazy blood sugar swings to keep me hungry. I've always felt sick if I eat breakfast--so falling into IF was fairly easy. This WOE has really strengthend my immune system and that amazes me. I am 62 years old and that is what drew me to IF. I want to thank all you faithful posters here at low carb friends. Your kindness and dedication to Newbies is so appreciated. I would never have lost the weight I have--without reading this forum daily. You truely have become my inspiration and I am very proud to be a part of this forum. I love the path I am on and how my carb addiction of 50 years no longer defines who I am. God Bless you all.
NoSugarGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: evas
Stats: 255/215/155
WOE: Mostly Primal + IF
Hello

I absolutely LOVE how much energy I have in the beginning of my day sine starting IF! I spent so long believing the "get your metabolism revved up with a big breakfast" thing but now I'm starting to see that may not bee the right approach for me. As soon as my belly is full I feel tired and a bit foggy and who needs that in the morning? I have a ton of energy each morning and my mind feels bright and sharp. It's just lovely!

I have a question for all of you: How many of you are doing low carb and IF and how many are doing just IF and not worrying about what you eat? Would love to hear everyone's experiences!

Last edited by evas; 01-18-2013 at 02:01 PM..
evas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I also love the IF. I'm finding that doing one meal a day at about 22-24 hr intervals is just good for me. Today, after about 23 hr fasting, I just had a wonderful meal that will hold me until same time tomorrow and my body gets to relax and heal for those hrs. and I don't have to cook, do dishes, plan meals etc.
Dinner was 2 large all beef frankfurters, sauté green beans with onion and pine nuts, new potatoes with butter and a green mixed salad with ranch. Love eating this way. And weight is dropping. too.

Last edited by Ladysilverpatch; 01-18-2013 at 02:04 PM..
Ladysilverpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #56
Established

Quote:
Originally Posted by evas View Post
Hello

I absolutely LOVE how much energy I have in the beginning of my day sine starting IF! I spent so long believing the "get your metabolism revved up with a big breakfast" thing but now I'm starting to see that may not bee the right approach for me. As soon as my belly is full I feel tired and a bit foggy and who needs that in the morning? I have a ton of energy each morning and my mind feels bright and sharp. It's just lovely!

I have a question for all of you: How many of you are doing low carb and IF and how many are doing just IF and not worrying about what you eat? Would love to hear everyone's experiences!
I do JUDDD without counting carbs, and I only count my calories on my DDs. I'm also going to start a two week 5:2 experiment tomorrow, which pretty much means I'll be cutting back on my DDs to only twice a week. I'm curious to see if my weight loss stalls, or continues-hopefully I won't gain a bunch by the end of the experiment though lol. I'm getting close to my goal weight so I'm very interested in doing a 5:2 type of IF plan for maintenance
Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #57

I am following CAD (Carbohydrate Addict's Diet) guidelines, where I eat a low carb lunch and then have a plate of whatever I'd like, including desert, for dinner. I'm currently in a 6-8 hour daily window, but I'd love to get to a 5-6 hour regular window. I'm not in a hurry, though. This is a forever kind of thing for me.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeb View Post
I have found in the past that adding coconut oil to my black coffee in the morning made me very hungry, but adding my little TB of light cream kept me going until 1:30 today, a half hour after my window opened. I'm finding this WOE so easy and I'm loving it. Will see if it starts to move my weight in the next week. I know, with me, I need to give my body time to adjust for a different WOE to work.
Beeb, I'm so happy to hear you're enjoying this woe. All the best with it.
Joyjoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSugarGrandma View Post
Howdy to everyone and would love to join this group. I have been doing IF for 5 months and can't imagine ever stopping it. Telling myself that I can not eat after 7:00pm--has really broken my evening snack habit. Being low carb before I started to IF really made this possible--I didnt have the crazy blood sugar swings to keep me hungry. I've always felt sick if I eat breakfast--so falling into IF was fairly easy. This WOE has really strengthend my immune system and that amazes me. I am 62 years old and that is what drew me to IF. I want to thank all you faithful posters here at low carb friends. Your kindness and dedication to Newbies is so appreciated. I would never have lost the weight I have--without reading this forum daily. You truely have become my inspiration and I am very proud to be a part of this forum. I love the path I am on and how my carb addiction of 50 years no longer defines who I am. God Bless you all.
So glad to read this from an 'older' person. I just turned 65! Can you tell me what IF 16/8 window means in your siggie? I'm assuming 16 IF and 8 window. Is that right? Now I near to learn about it!!! Excuse the stupid question..!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wildflower
Stats: SW180/CW180/GL145
WOE: NK
Start Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom23kids View Post
While looking for The Fast Diet on Amazon I came across The 5:2 Diet Book, by Kate Harrison. They both sound like the same thing, but Harrison's book is cheaper for the kindle version so I may go ahead and get it
I bought this for my Kindle last night, but fell asleep reading it so I need to start over. Don't remember a thing!
wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote