Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #361
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CaraNoelle
WOE: CAD, FAST FIVE
Start Date: 3/20/2013
with doing the fast 5 it seems there must be some guidelines on how many calories not to go over ?? is there a chart that tells what is a healthy amount of calories to eat per a person's weight ??

Curiousgeorge ~ did you gain with TOM ? mine is heavier than normal but no weight gain...and no sore breasts before..I credit that to not having hardly any caffeine anymore..just alittle during my reward meal..
CaraNoelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #362
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: curious georgie
Cara Noelle,
I hope this isn't obnoxious my posting so often. LOL I am doing math now which is somewhat frustrating so this is a nice diversion. I don't count calories at all. I stick to trying to limit my carbs as much as possible. But I am not a person who is motivated to figure out details or numbers (hmm, maybe why I don't like math so much ). I know lots of people on here do track, but tracking things kind of freaks me out. Same reason why I haven't stepped on a scale in probably a decade or more. I can tell if my clothes are tighter. Also my breasts get bigger and my butt too, if I am plumping up. I def. think caffeine does make breasts sore. I think it is much better to not have it, but I sort of feel like I want a "treat" since I have cut everything else out.
curious georgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #363
Junior LCF Member

cg ~ my biggest treat in the whole wide world is an ice cold can of pepsi !! I am down to 1 can a day during my reward meal...I miss that the most out of everything.... my reward meals are always high carbs as that is what I seem to be craving the most...I did my one meal early today..hope I am ok tonight !!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #364
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/148.2/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Hi all!

There is no calorie counting on Fast 5 or on most of the IF plans. However, I've found by eating in an 8 hour window, and probably mostly not snacking at night, I am eating 1300-1600 calories a day. I usually don't count calories at all, but my daughter wanted to use a fitness app, and I am tracking to support her efforts.

I usually open my window at 10:30 with nuts and string cheese, then have an apple and peanut butter, and if I'm hungry, some yogurt and berries. Then I have a plate of whatever I want for dinner, plus a small dessert (like a couple of chocolate truffles of a 1/2 cup of ice cream.)

I just like to keep it simple and consistent. I'm losing very slowly, but I am close to my maintenance weight.

No big news to report here...on plan and staying on! No reason to go off!

Rachel
Old 04-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #365
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNoelle View Post
cg ~ my biggest treat in the whole wide world is an ice cold can of pepsi !! I am down to 1 can a day during my reward meal...I miss that the most out of everything.... my reward meals are always high carbs as that is what I seem to be craving the most...I did my one meal early today..hope I am ok tonight !!
I love doing IF! I too do CAD and switched from "classic" CAD/CALP with 2 cm's and an RM to now most days only RM and other days just a lunch CM and then a dinner RM. I have lost weight faster like this, and am actually LESS hungry. I eat anywhere from only 1 hour a day to 8 hours when I do a lunch CM (like at work) and then later my RM when I get home. Totally depends on the day and my hunger levels. I do not force myself to skip a CM if I am hungry, but I also do not make myself eat one "just because" either- only if I am hungry.

I miss my coffee so much and that is something I really do miss but I am totally willing to give it up for the lack of cravings and weight loss! I even found plain black ice decaf americano's were spiking insulin surges as I gained 2 pounds one week and the ONLY difference was I drank them 2 days in a row that week after not having any coffee for over 2 weeks. These were black- no cream even and I still gained. I am just too senstive to coffee, with our without caffeine

MIW
Old 04-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #366
Major LCF Poster!

Holding tight at 215.5 two days in a row. Happy happy joy joy. Still don't feel 100% back to my same self. I am not really hungry out of norm, just feel a bit jittery which is strange. Almost like my blood sugars are too low or something. I definately won't mess with a good thing ever again!

Had a CM lunch yesterday of mainly meat and cheese, then dinner RM a big stir-fry of cabbage, beef strips, and curry with quinoa. Also had 2 pc of homemade bread with butter and a few pieces of chocolate. Yes, carb heavy but most of my RM's tend to be. Today I will try to really get more veggies in. I'm thinking more smoothies with fruit/veggie combo to get in a good amount.

I was eating over about 8 hours yesterday. Lunch CM at 1pm and dinner RM at 7:30-8:30pm. Today I will try to tighten that up a bit back to over about 5 hours. Tomorrow I will be at work so it will be spaced over about 8 hours due to that. But, last few days I was at work and it was spaced out too and I seemed to do ok on 8-9 hours for the eating window.

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #367

Just checking in. Everything is going well and nothing big to report! Which is a good report, I guess! I was in a really good exercise groove before my vacation, and I've kind of lost it. So, I would like to get back into my thirty minutes a day. Just need to figure out the best time for it.

I'd like working out to feel as easy as my eating does!
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #368
Junior LCF Member

scale hasn't moved
Old 04-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #369
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNoelle View Post
scale hasn't moved
That is very normal and please don't get discouraged. Don't let the day to day wts bother you. Look for the week to week trends. I do daily wts and then a weekly avg and compare my weekly averages. Much more accurate that way but not everyone can mentally tolerate daily wts but I promise it is much more revealing on what is working in your diet and eating plan than just weighing in on Mondays.

MIW
Old 04-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #370
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mojocat
Stats: 233/209/180/119 Height 5ft7inch
WOE: LC/Juicing/rxHCG, JUDDD/IF/No S foods
Start Date: 28 Jan 2012
Hello ladies, I was trying to read through this entire thread. Looks like a lot of people who started initially don't post anymore so I don't know how they are going.

Have any of you had binge issues and have they been aggravated by any of the the IF plans out there i.e. Fast 5, eat stop eat, 16/8? Have any of these programs alleviated the bingeing. Once you start eating in your evening window do you find you can stop and what motivates you to stop and not keep eating? Is it establishing a firm "no eating after 7/8.00 pm rule". I haven't included JUDDD even though it is a wonderful woe but sadly for me created a huge bingeing monster. Thanks in advance
mojocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 AM   #371

Good morning!

No big news to report. My daughter and I went out for dinner last night, and then I went home and rode my exercise bike while working on a writing project. I bought a Fitdesk last year, and it's nice that I can work on the computer and exercise at the same time.

Mojocat, I haven't had any problems binging on the 8 hour diet. I've done intermittent fasting in the past and never had a problem with it then, either. The only diet that caused issues for me was the HCG diet, where my calories were too low day after day. I don't do an evening window. I open my window at about 10 and close it at about 6, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

I think a lot of people don't stay with IF because the losses are too slow for them. Not for me, though. I am happy with my progress because I love how I eat and it's easy for me to do. My motto is "keep it simple and don't quit" because this is a plan for life, not for the short term.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #372
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lori_:)
Stats: 221/186/160
WOE: Low Carb-My way
Start Date: January 2013
Sounds like you're doing well Rachel! How nice that you have a Fitdesk! I could use one of those!

I'm plugging along as well and will weigh in to see if I've lost anything on week 2. After 3 lbs gone on week 1, I won't be shocked if I don't lose this week.

Going away for a long weekend with my sister & hoping not to do too much damage!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Lori_:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #373
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post
Hello ladies, I was trying to read through this entire thread. Looks like a lot of people who started initially don't post anymore so I don't know how they are going.

Have any of you had binge issues and have they been aggravated by any of the the IF plans out there i.e. Fast 5, eat stop eat, 16/8? Have any of these programs alleviated the bingeing. Once you start eating in your evening window do you find you can stop and what motivates you to stop and not keep eating? Is it establishing a firm "no eating after 7/8.00 pm rule". I haven't included JUDDD even though it is a wonderful woe but sadly for me created a huge bingeing monster. Thanks in advance
No, you will not binge if you follow an IF eating program. I cannot say for 100% since I do not know your background. If you are someone with an eating disorder or binge disorder then yes, anything is possible. However, if you do IF (figure out if mornings or evenings works best for you), you should naturally just get less hungry. You will feel true hunger and be satisfied after you are done eating.

It has to do with insulin. If you are an insulin resistant metabolism (most American are) that is why you are hungry all day, never satisfied, hungry again shortly after eating.

IF, especially long with low carb eating really does help. I know because I do it and I've studied it. Once you get your body to release less insulin, you are less hungry, less tired, less likely to store glucose to fat. Also, your metabolism will work more like "it should" and will release dopamine and seratonin. Those are what make you feel good, and full.

In the insulin resistant (IR) metabolism, you are releasing too much insulin and it is present a lot more in the blood stream the more you eat. This inhibits the release of seratonin from the brain and hunger, not feeling good, sleepiness, etc ensues.

Once you start fasting, your body is able to burn stored fat. Also, the more you fast, and when you do eat if it is low carb (ie high protein) you body will also release less insulin. Drum roll.... so when you do actually eat some carbs, your body in essence is tricked into releasing LESS insulin and you can actually lose weight. You basically just rearrange how you eat carbs (DO NOT meter them out all day or during your "eating window") space out meals a minimum of 90 minutes apart and do not eat any one meal longer than an hour.

What I am explaining to you is a combo of Intermittent Fasting and Carbohydrate Addict's diet. It is what I follow. I am very slowly losing weight by eating this way. I am eating all the same foods and in the same amounts. I am not restricting calories to one degree, other than natural changes in stomach size and cravings being reduced. I eat 1800-2600 calories a day. Probably more some days but that is the amount range on the days I have done random audits. I do not eat LC products, special diet food, etc. I eat the same foods I always have like pizza, ice cream, cookies, chocolate, beer, wine, etc. I just do not eat them all day or more than even once a day. That is the key.

Some days I only eat for one hour. Other days I have 2 meals. I used to do 3 meals over about a 10-14 hour period but was always hungry for my three meals. Once I looked more into IF after Low Carb Rachel exited our CAD group I looked into it more and decided to drop my breakfast LC meal and just do a LC lunch and "regular" dinner. On CAD these are referred to as CM's and RM. CM's= low carb. There is a big list of foods and veggies for CM's so they are not dull. The RM is Reward Meal and can be the foods you want. It should be "balanced" and if you read the CALP book it goes into more detail on that. I balance maybe half of my RM's and don't the other half. I just take it day by day and eat for what I am in the mood for and for convenience. I do not limit myself. I do not binge either. Just listen to my body and let it guide me.

MIW
Old 04-19-2013, 12:41 PM   #374
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: route66
Stats: 160/<145/141
WOE: IF Combo - 6:1 & 16/8ish
Start Date: Oct 2012
Here's an update from a general lurker - I'm on board with MIW and the post above. I was Judding and wanted more UD freedom so I looked into 5:2 and IF. I am doing a combo where I eat 1, 2 or 3 meals a day, usually within an 8 hour window. One meal for sure is whatever I want including carbs of all kinds. The other days will vary but I have 2-4 days where my additional meals are mindfully LC. Whenever I have my "last" meal of the day, I try to have a fast of 16 hours before I eat again. Not a hard and fast rule but it has been working well so far.

I didn't call goal perse, but I decided late feb/early march that as long as I am under 145, I am good. Right now I've been at 141-142 for a couple, three weeks. I am considering myself "maintaining", though I am still slowly trending down and I am thrilled with that.
route66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #375
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by route66 View Post
Here's an update from a general lurker - I'm on board with MIW and the post above. I was Judding and wanted more UD freedom so I looked into 5:2 and IF. I am doing a combo where I eat 1, 2 or 3 meals a day, usually within an 8 hour window. One meal for sure is whatever I want including carbs of all kinds. The other days will vary but I have 2-4 days where my additional meals are mindfully LC. Whenever I have my "last" meal of the day, I try to have a fast of 16 hours before I eat again. Not a hard and fast rule but it has been working well so far.

I didn't call goal perse, but I decided late feb/early march that as long as I am under 145, I am good. Right now I've been at 141-142 for a couple, three weeks. I am considering myself "maintaining", though I am still slowly trending down and I am thrilled with that.
Thanks for that validation! I can say for me the weight loss has been painfully slow. But, I did go into this knowing it would be slow, and also wanted to focus on being able to pretty much eat the way I want that will be something for life. Easy, no counting calories, no restrictions, etc. I know if I did Weight Watchers (again for the umpteenth time) the weight would be coming off but I'd be miserable and food obsessed. Plus, it is like 1300-1600 calories a day on WW for my ht/wt which is crazy!

I eat way more veggies and good dense protein this way, PLUS I can still eat all my other foods. I too am ok with maintaining. As long as I am not gaining I will be happy. To lose a solid 20 pounds in 5 months while still eating big portions and all the same old same old type foods is amazing! All I've done is "rearranged" the way I eat my carbs. The other meals are extreme LC. My one meal a day where carbs are included is kept to one hour.

Since I've combined CAD with IF I have brought my meals closer together in a 4-8 hour window (except days where I only eat once which does happen some times due to lack of hunger) I have noticed I am even less hungry and weight is coming off faster! I love tinkering with my metabolism to see how far I can push things and see that now that I've got it figured out that I am Insulin Resistant there is a way to take advantage of this type of metabolism and make it work for me!

MIW
Old 04-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #376

Hello! Just checking in. Everything is going well. Just wanted to share a couple of observations!

I am having some meals where I just don't feel that hungry. I respect those meal times. The other time, we went out for dinner, and I only wanted half my soup and one third of my salad. Then I was just done, so I stopped eating. On Saturday, we went to a new restaurant I really wanted to try...I didn't like any of the food, so I just had a couple of tastes of everything I order and then said, meh.

For some reason, intermittent fasting over time is regulating my appetite, not just in terms of hunger levels but also in terms of what tastes good to me.

I have been logging my food intake for about two weeks. What is interesting is that I am full and content on anywhere from 1200-1700 calories per day. And, what is also interesting is that although I do not consider myself to be a "low carber," I am only eating 60-100 carbs a day. I really think all those years of low carbing weren't a waste...although I eat carbs daily and one desert a day is part of my plan...I still tend to choose and enjoy quite a few low carb foods. It's just part of who I am.

In tracking, my daughter has discovered her problem area...eating too much sugar. Her calories are just fine, but she's overeating sugar. Now that she's recognized this, she is determined to gradually cut back. This week, she cut her sugar intake in half....I am very proud of her! This week, she is looking at other places where she can cut sugar without feeling deprived.

Last edited by LowCarbRachel; 04-21-2013 at 03:36 PM..
Old 04-21-2013, 06:22 PM   #377
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: floridagirl6
Stats: 200/145.6/130. Restart 160/
WOE: ME/Scarsdale/Low Carb Low Cal
Start Date: Restart 7/21/14
I started IFing last Friday. I have a 6-8 hour window, but am eating low carb during my window - no RM. does anyone else IF low carb? How does it affect weight loss?
floridagirl6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #378

Hi all! I do an 8 hour window, daily. Usually 10:30-6:30. I tend to eat lighter during the day and then a meal of whatever I like for dinner, plus dessert. I eat 60-100 carbs a day and 1200-1700 calories a day. This is the best way I've ever found to slowly (key:slowly) lose weight and prepare for maintenance. It's easy and I eat a variety of food...never feel deprived, either.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #379
Senior LCF Member

Back on track after a weekend of eating everything I could get my hands on! I won't go near the scale till Saturday. Hoping a good week will keep the damage to a minimum! ACK!!
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #380
Major LCF Poster!

I started IF on Friday - so it's day 4 for me. I was very hungry today. I resisted, thinking that perhaps I'm in for a loss. I wasn't hungry over the weekend - don't know what was different. Wait - I do know. Over the weekend I had CO in my coffee.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #381
Senior LCF Member

Re the 8 hours - do you guys have coffee in the mornings with milk/cream or will that technically break the fast? I can't tolerate BC, wish I could, but makes me feel like I'm drinking liquid ash
Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #382

I only drink black coffee, plain iced tea, plain water, and club soda outside my window. I tried heavy cream and coconut oil early on, but it just made me hungrier. However, I know several people do A cup of coffee with heavy cream and it helps them. I think it's something everyone needs to test for herself.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #383
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your responses, I didn't mind MCT oil in my coffee and it did seem to keep hunger at bay. I know a lot of IF'ers do the bulletproof coffee for breakfast and they say it doesn't break the fast but I'm not convinced I really need those 300 calories in the morning, I would rather have cream in my coffee. 8 hour window appeals to me as I'm not a big breakfast eater, in fact if I eat breakfast, it most often fuels my hunger so I'm better off not eating. Three meals a day don't do it for me either. I just need to forget all about food until I'm really hungry. Lets hope the evil binge monster doesn't come out of his cage during the 8 hours.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #384

I am weighing in officially with my daughter tomorrow, but I took a peek tonight....and I am finally in the 140's! 148.6! I have lost 10 pounds since October, 7 of those pounds since January.

That's only a little over a pound a month, but I'm very pleased. It hasn't been hard at all, and I really feel like I am finally learning to maintain.

I am just going to keep on....keeping it simple and not quitting really is the key for me.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #385
Major LCF Poster!

Better day today. Opened my "window" @ 12:30. I was hungry before then, but was able to wait. Haven't weighed since Monday morning - will only weigh weekly.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #386
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/176/168; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD / >100 g protein
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojocat View Post

2.5 weeks ago i started the big breakfast diet, which is a form of IF if you only eat the breakfast, which the author recommends if you are fine with that. i am!

technically, i open my "window" at 5 a.m. with my coffee (creamer, sugar), starting my meal at approximately 8 a.m., finishing before 9 a.m. what motivates me to stop eating is that i'm "allowed" to eat until i'm full! with this woe, i have absolutely NO cravings anymore, my tummy is content through bedtime, and i'm losing!

Last edited by jenericstewart; 04-24-2013 at 08:03 AM..
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #387
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations Rachel!
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #388
Junior LCF Member

started the Fast 5.....i am sure it will be slow but I would like to give it a month and see how it goes..
Old 04-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #389
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all. I'm still here. Up a couple more pounds and now back up to 219. Not sure what the deal is. Do have the new scale which brought me up a couple pounds and now this. Haven't changed anything that I can think of. Will just power through as always. I have been busy with outdoor yard stuff and am switching into garden mode so diet online stuff is taking more of a back seat. I am still here but more in lurking mode.

MIW
Old 04-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #390

Hi all! MIW, sorry you're up a couple of pounds. I know it's hard when that happens.

I am doing well. I read an interesting book at the bookstore last night and thought some of the ideas could be helpful to people doing IF. The book is "The Sugar Blocker Solution" (I think that's the right title), and it's by the author of "The Glycemic Load Diet," which is one of my favorite "diet books."

The most useful information in the book (to me) is to use certain foods as tools, either before or with your meal, to help block how quickly your body processes those foods. Although the book is called "the sugar blocker solution," he's really more concerned with what happens when we eat a high quantity of starch.

So, to slow down how your body processes a higher starch meal:

1. Eat a piece of cheese or a small serving of walnuts or almonds 10-30 minutes before a meal.
2. Eat a salad before your meal (hmmm, here's that Carbohydrate Addict's concept, MIW!)...especially good with a vinegar/oil based dressing.
3. Take 4 1200 mg fish oil capsules before your meal.
4. Drink a glass of wine with your meal!
5. Go for a twenty minute walk after your meal.

And there were some other ideas too, but these are the ones that I remembered and will try.

It's interesting because I kind of already follow some of his ideas. I usually only eat starch once a day (at dinner) and I eat starch-free the rest of the time.

I'm going to start trying some of these strategies in conjunction with my evening meal.

Have a great weekend!