Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Other Plans (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/)
-   -   Wheat Belly (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/other-plans/792210-wheat-belly.html)

Its me - WENDALINA 12-28-2012 03:02 PM

Wheat Belly

Hey! I received the Wheat Belly book and cookbook for Christmas. I am very excited to incorporate this into my WOE. It seems like the logical last piece of the puzzle and I love all the information and recipes that I have.

Is anyone else following wheat belly?

enna1477 12-28-2012 04:44 PM

I do general low carb and avoid grains and sugar. Wheat Belly is part of my library and I bought the Kindle version of the WB cookbook on Christmas Eve and today have a loaf of WB rye bread cooling on the rack. 10 eggs in one loaf! I'm anxious to try it - we're having Ruben sandwiches tonight. I'll report back on how the bread was.

enna1477 12-28-2012 08:45 PM

Okay - here's my review of the Wheat Belly Rye Bread recipe.

Preparation was fairly easy. The only problem I encountered was adding the 10 whipped egg whites to the batter in my 11 cup food processor. I ended up dumping the contents of the processor bowl into a big mixing bowl, breaking the dough into clumps, adding the egg whites and then returning everything to the processor for the final mixing.

The bread was done in 50 minutes. Rose nicely and was a well formed loaf.

After it was cool I sliced off the heel and toasted it. The texture of the untoasted bread was dense and on the heavy side. I didn't add the cocoa or the coffee for the pumpernickel effect so the bread was light brown - kind of like banana bread. It toasted well and with a smear of butter was tasty but didn't really taste like rye bread. There was also a slight "eggy" taste but it wasn't off-putting.

I grilled the bread (Ruben sandwiches) and although it didn't soak up the butter the bread did brown in the pan. It was extremely filling! And it was nice to have some sort of bread after 2 years without. Still, the only "rye" part of the bread was the caraway and that wasn't enough to convince me that I was eating rye bread. But it was good and I will definitely make it again for toast to drag through yolky eggs.

I give the Wheat Belly Rye Bread recipe a B+.

Its me - WENDALINA 12-28-2012 10:48 PM

I too plan to start on 1/1....very excited! I love hearing the recipes and reviews so keep them coming.... A woe that has a ruben as an option cant be all that bad right;)

avid 12-29-2012 09:40 AM

It was after reading "Wheat Belly" last September that I decided to try LC as my woe.
I am happy with the results, although my personal story is not nearly so impressive as some of those quoted by Dr. Davis in the book.
I did lose 10 pounds without any real effort. The first 5 dropped off at the rate of one pound a day. The next 5 at a rate of about 1/2 pound a day.
Then it stopped. I found I couldn't eat as much as I wanted of the fatty foods.
So my experience is that at some point portion control comes into the picture.
The joint pain relief is very real. My left knee was chroncially painful to the point where I was really becomming worried. After only about a week off of wheat i began to notice a marked decrease. Now it only occasionaly "twinges", but usually I don't feel a thing.
So, yes wheat belly is a great way to introduce yourself to a low carb lifestyle.
Good luck and God bless us, everyone.

Its me - WENDALINA 01-02-2013 03:47 PM

ok y'all! We started today the Wheat Belly plan......and I have to say that I didnt realize that practically everything has some form of wheat in it :( But I guess with any new WOE it will take time to find my brands and acceptable things.

Dinner tonight is the classic grilled steak and green beans w/butter YUMMY!

I need some breakfast suggestions cause I really cant handle eggs most mornings.

Have a great day!

avid 01-02-2013 04:22 PM

Oooooooooh ouch!
breakfast without eggs?
Personally I can't imagine it. I eat eggs every morning
I found that flax meal makes a great pancake. I got the recipe from the wheat belly site . Give it a try, it's really delicsious and has no gluten, and the carb count is low due to the high amount of fiber.

PennyPrepper 01-02-2013 06:30 PM

I'm in wheat belly too! I'm not into eggs either, so for breakfast I roll up ham or roast beef with cream cheese and chives or horseradish. The guys like eggs, so I make a crustless quiche for them. I just got the WB cookbook so I'll be trying some other stuff.

Wigglesmom 01-02-2013 06:45 PM

I like the pumpkin muffin recipe in the Wheat Belly book. I also have plain Greek yogurt with blackberries. I add a grain free granola I make using different types of nuts, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut and dried unsweetened cherries. Cottage cheese mixed with pineapple or peaches is good too.

PennyPrepper 01-02-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wigglesmom (Post 16167080)
I like the pumpkin muffin recipe in the Wheat Belly book. I also have plain Greek yogurt with blackberries. I add a grain free granola I make using different types of nuts, sunflower seeds, unsweetened coconut and dried unsweetened cherries. Cottage cheese mixed with pineapple or peaches is good too.

Granola sounds yummy! Thanks

PennyPrepper 01-03-2013 06:32 PM

Day 3 and I couldn't resist weighing in. Down 3 lbs!!!

PennyPrepper 01-05-2013 04:00 PM

Down 4! I found a great blog Gourmet Girl Cooks with really good WB recipes

enna1477 01-05-2013 06:12 PM

Thanks so much for the tip on the Gourmet Girl blog! I'm going to try her turkey pot pie as soon as possible. Those birds should be on a steep discount any day now!

PennyPrepper 01-06-2013 09:50 PM

Dr Davis will be on CBS morning show at 8ish tomorrow (1/7)

GME 01-06-2013 10:40 PM

I was wheat free for years before I read Wheat Belly because I figured out the gluten was making me miserable, but I enjoyed the book and it strengthened my resolve.

A friend at work who is also gluten-free knew I was reading it. I would read a chapter at night and go into work the next morning and when I'd see her I call out the terrible thing I learned about wheat the night before......

Monday.... "Dementia"
Tuesday.... "Thyroid Problems"
Etc, etc

JessieBear 01-07-2013 07:32 PM

This diet has reversed the course of MS for me - in a mere 10 days. Almost all symptoms are gone since 12/28/12. I had my annual with my neuro this morning, and he was amazed at the progress I have made. I didn't know he was aware of the gliaden and amylopectin-A issues, but surprisingly, he was and is onboard.

I didn't even tell him that I am down 10 pounds. :)

Just a note of caution - "gluten free" is HIGH carb frankenfood. Substituting Rice/Tapioca/Corn/Potato starches for wheat/gluten/gliaden is a recipe for disaster for weight loss. Wheat-related health issues are a side issue, and the starches are ~200x the carbs of wheat, so be careful in selection. The "gluten free" section of the store could well be a carbohydrate bomb just waiting to blow.

Wheat is in EVERYTHING. Canned soups, Atkins breakfast bars, and it is even the 2nd ingredient in Twizzlers - right behind HFCS. Insidious critter.

Best of luck to you. I feel 1,000x better pulling grains out of my diet. The weight loss is just a pleasant side effect.

onceNforall 01-08-2013 06:13 AM

Hi all....read Wheat Belly over the holidays and started "wheat free" last Friday. I've dropped 7.5lb in 4 days!! Of course I was really "carbed up" from the holidays and had gained 13lb between the end of October and the New Year, so figured I'd have a good initial loss. Have just ordered the cookbook and look forward to making some recipes.

I'm also doing WW for the accountability...not very successful unless I'm forced to get on that scale in front of someone each week. I haven't eliminated the sugar this week yet, but doing this in baby steps.

I'm mostly looking for the anti-inflammatory effects....need a knee replacement but need to get off some of this poundage first and would love to be in less pain. How long does that take?

avid 01-08-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onceNforall (Post 16180311)

I'm mostly looking for the anti-inflammatory effects....need a knee replacement but need to get off some of this poundage first and would love to be in less pain. How long does that take?

I had chronic knee pain for over a year before eliminating wheat and going lc.
I was amazed at how quickly the pain subsided. I went from daily pain to only occasional "twinges" in less than 10 days. It was that quick.
Mind you, my pain was not due to torn carteledge, but it was getting worrisome.
I am firmly on board with wheat being a major cause of inflammation, and by eliminating it from our diet we get many health benefits.
Best of luck to you.

onceNforall 01-08-2013 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avid (Post 16180390)
I had chronic knee pain for over a year before eliminating wheat and going lc.
I was amazed at how quickly the pain subsided. I went from daily pain to only occasional "twinges" in less than 10 days. It was that quick.
Mind you, my pain was not due to torn carteledge, but it was getting worrisome.
I am firmly on board with wheat being a major cause of inflammation, and by eliminating it from our diet we get many health benefits.
Best of luck to you.

Thanks...that's encouraging! Looking forward to less pain. :shake:

taokeema 01-11-2013 04:37 PM

i went low carb/no grain almost a year ago, and noticed the difference in my knees within a few days. (i had been diagnosed with an auto immune disorder, and an anti-inflammatory diet was recommended.) i still indulge in my husband's homemade WW bread or Annie's Cheddar Bunnies every once in awhile, but my knees keep me on track.

i'm finally getting around to reading Wheat Belly. i am sad to recognize so many of the maladies described in its pages in my family. my mother has full on gluten sensitivity, and gets diarrhea and skin rashes if she indulges. wheat will never be a large part of my diet again.

Deb 01-13-2013 06:53 PM

:hiya:

everyone

what a bunch of losers:)

i just started reading the book today
very interesting

im going to pick up the cook book next time i see it

flax pancake?

tubbette 01-18-2013 09:40 AM

I just read Wheat Belly last weekend and I am so convinced it is the way to go for me and my family. I had just gone to the grocery store and bought things like oat bran and chicken nuggets for the kids, shall I throw it all out????? yep, I think so.

It is really terrible that wheat is now in all foods. I did not know about Twizzlers!!!

avid 01-18-2013 12:36 PM

Some of the weight loss and health claims made by Dr. Davis are pretty way out there.
But I gotta tell ya, for knee pain eliminating wheat is the bomb.
I went from daily 'worrisome' knee pain to pain free in less than a week. Amazing.
Now I only get an occassional 'twinge' but ususally pain free.
Not missing the wheat at all.

Ladysilverpatch 01-18-2013 03:10 PM

We're completely wheat-free for about 3 weeks. It is very good advice and even though I've always been a big on bread person, I can do without it. I'm looking at decreasing joint pain and inflammation as well. Just makes sense. And there's so much to eat without it that why wouldn't I? I do know for sure it makes me crave carbs like a crazy person.

Its me - WENDALINA 01-25-2013 02:56 PM

ok yall I am back.... family issues, computer problems etc.... I am enjoying the energy from being wheat free. I must admit that during all that is going on I did cave, and immediately felt the side effects....never would have realized it if I didnt read the book lol :hyst:

Anyone have a favorite recipe that they love...I do enjoy the pancakes as well. I am thinking about putting together a big batch / freezer cooking session and I am looking for recipes.

JessieBear 01-25-2013 06:12 PM

Here ya go:

Ben's-Style Chili

3 tbsp. vegetable oil (I use my home made rendered fat)
2 lbs. ground beef
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c. tomato paste
1 onion, chopped
2 c. beef broth
5 tbsp. chili powder (Make extra sure there is no wheat in this!)
6 tbsp. corn meal
2 tsp. Truvia
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 bay leaf

Heat oil and saute garlic and onion 7 to 9 minutes or until golden.

Add chili powder, Truvia and cumin.

Cook, stirring constantly, 2 more minutes.

Add ground beef and cook, stirring, until beef is evenly browned.

Stir in remaining ingredients, then reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until very thick.

Discard the bay leaf before serving.

How to make a chili half-smoke, Ben's style: get some all-beef half-smokes, grill them, then split them down the center. Run a line of mustard down the split, then top them with chili and chopped onions.

Source: Ben's Chili Bowl (Restaurant) in Washington, DC

(I eat limited potatoes and corn as Wheat Belly allows that. If you are doing another variant, you may want to replace the corn meal with something else).

Sunny7 01-26-2013 07:40 AM

subbing for some good recipes

JessieBear 01-26-2013 08:33 AM

Another favorite - Cheri's Creamy Southwest Taco Soup (again, double check that there is no wheat in the chili powder)

Cheri's Creamy Southwest Taco Soup - LowCarbFriends Recipes

KeirasMom 02-05-2013 09:39 AM

I'm about half way through the book, but have decided to do a trial wheat elimination for myself and my daughter. We're on our second day wheat free.

Is there a good source for information about eating out? I don't cook much and that would be a great help. I did find Wendy's chili is gluten free and fits with my fasting calories on those days I need to keep calories very low.

sunday 02-05-2013 10:19 AM

Dawn, I am not sure what part of CA you live in, but there is a website that shows all of the gluten free restaurants or ones that have GF by zip code. Just type gluten free restaurant awareness in your search. :)