Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #1711
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Thank you! I hope I can contribute.
Beadelia is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #1712
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Hi Beadelia! Welcome to the forum. These ladies have been really wonderful at helping along a newbie like me. Lots of great information here! It helps me a lot to see everyone's successes.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #1713
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Atira
Stats: 267.4/265.2/150
WOE: CALP
Start Date: 12/26/2013
Hello everyone. I strayed from CALP a few days before Christmas. You know how it is, especially since I had not been on this WOE very long. I decided to look at those 10 days on CALP as a dry run and to start again in earnest the day after Christmas, and that's what I did. It feels great not to be obsessing about the goodies still left in my kitchen.
I've read with interest the posts from the last week, especially the ones about juicing. By throwing out the pulp, don't you throw out all the fiber? I used to do a green smoothie in my Vitamix everyday for breakfast: blueberries, banana, spinach/lettuce blend, greek yogurt and carrot juice. It was delicious. But it only held me for a couple of hours and then the blood sugar crash came. Even balancing it better with extra protein from eggs didn't help much. I think some of us might be more sensitive to fruit. I find now that I don't miss it. I don't even incorporate it in my RM dinner.
Good for those of you who stayed true through Christmas. Very admirable. Next year that will be me. And welcome Beadelia. This is a great WOE and a good place for support. You can do it.
Atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #1714
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadelia View Post
Hi Alló

May I join in here? Iíve been lurking for a few months, and trying CAD off and on (but mostly off despite good intentions), and have decided that I just canít do it alone. I need some accountability, and someplace to bring my questions. And I REALLY need to lose weight. I am 71 years old, five foot one, 202.8 lbs, and arthritic. I had a hip replacement 2 years ago, and the first of two much-needed knee replacements in late September. Iím trying to delay having the second knee replacement until I can hopefully shed some serious pounds.

I got interested in CAD after striking up a conversation with a cousinís new stepson whom I met in early September. This muscular and solid, but by no means fat, young man told me that he had once weighed 545 lbs (I could swear thatís what he said, and relatives confirm that he was very large) until he found what he called ďÖa diet so simple even I could follow it.Ē I might have thought he was kidding about ever weighing that much, but he pulled a thin flap of loose skin an astonishing distance out from the side of his face to show me just how much more of him there used to be. Believe me, he got my attention! Naturally I asked about his diet.

He said it was called the Carbohydrate Addictís Diet, and heíd never been able to find it again but the rules were so simple that heíd remembered them, followed them, lost the weight, and kept it off. He said you ate two protein meals a day, and then one meal at which you could eat whatever you wanted as long as you finished within one hour. But you didnít have to weigh, measure, or track anythingójust follow the simple rules.

I was afraid to hope that this plan might work for me because of my age, lack of mobility, and decades of yo-yo dieting, and because men seem to lose more easily than women. But I did some Googling, bought the Hellersí first two books, and started in. The first week I lost 4.6 lbs. The second week I lost 1.3, which was a more comfortable speed for me. Total 5.9 lbs. Best of all, my carb cravings were gone after just a few days. After decades of thinking about food every waking moment and never knowing what it was like not to feel hungry and out of control (I scored 45 on the Hellersí test), that felt like a miracle.

On Monday of the third week I had knee replacement surgery, and it turned out to be more of a setback than I expected. Very little activity, anesthesia and heavy painkillers really messing up my system for a long time, and not being in charge in the kitchen. I ate whatever seemed likely to go down and stay there, like ginger ale, tapioca, oatmeal, and Greek yogurt. I also ate a lot of takeout. Soon I started regaining the little weight I'd lost and the cravings returned big time. Itís been a roller-coaster ride ever since, and since Thanksgiving Iíve been on a real sugar binge, hence my present weight of 202.8. (Sure hope some of that is water.)

So thereís my story, and I apologize for the book-length introduction, but if youíll bear with me a little longer I have one big question: while I need fewer and smaller snacks when Iím eating the CAD way, I often need more than one protein snack per day, and sometimes wake up hungry at night. Also, Iím on some meds that need to be taken with milk or food, and I canít always time them with my regular meals. Does anybody else have trouble holding it down to one snack per day, and have you still been able to lose weight? I just know that if I have to be hungry for even a few hours, Iíll give up on this diet completely. Aside from this one major exception, when Iím on plan Iím sort of between CAD and CALPódoing the 2 CMs and an RM (usually evening), but not obsessing about balancing the RM exactly every single time, especially when eating stir fry or a ďHamburger HelperĒ type dish (made from scratch using real food) where the ingredients are all mixed together.

Many thanks to all of you for the helpful things youíve taught me through your posts. Iíve read them all, and especially appreciate the plan summaries given right at the beginning. The way you encourage one another is truly wonderful. Your successes really convince me that this WOE can work for anyone, even me, if I can just stick with it and keep from becoming discouraged by my mistakes and setbacks. And MIW, extra special thanks to you for your faithful and detailed posting and for recommending the Sit and Be Fit videos to Jaymar last September 10. They are perfect for me, too.
Bedelia so glad you joined in! Glad you like the Sit and Be Fit videos. I just talked with a pt about it last week who does them and loves them and he was in his 50's so it really is for any age and activity level!

As to you question: I think the hunger thing (which you nailed it on the head with ) is the medications. Get the CALP book: Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program. They go way more into details on keeping the RM balanced, plus all the "triggers" of things if taken outside of RM that can cause rebound hunger and there was a long list of medications as well.

I think you are doing great and you just need to get back on the wagon and keep on it! I am at a phase where I am needing to look at my RM and start being better on my carb choices and amounts. I have milked it as long as I could and upped my calories A LOT but am in a plateau, plus I worry about my pancrease with all the junk carbs. Point is that all of us need to be realistic, honest and accountable or the weight ain't going to come off!

MIW
Old 12-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #1715
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
It's funny because yesterday I started my late rm BB at 10:30 and began with apples. I could instantly feel the hunger surge and had to quick get some protein in. I know that in previous diets I would have an all fruit smoothie in the morning and be hungry in an hour. Isn't fructose from fruit hard on the pancreas too?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #1716
Major LCF Poster!

MIW how long has your longest plateau been? I remember the Hellers stating that just the time a person is about to lose again after a long plateau they quit. Some have even been as long as a month.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #1717
Major LCF Poster!

MIW what about trying to do 2 cms and a rm for a week and then go back to one rm a day and see if it jump starts things? Just a thought.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #1718
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
MIW what about trying to do 2 cms and a rm for a week and then go back to one rm a day and see if it jump starts things? Just a thought.
Yes that is probably what I am going to start doing. I was trying to see if I could pick up a copy of the 7 Day Recovery Plan or whatever it is called that the Heller's wrote for people who drift off CAD just to see what's in it. Hubby announced today that he would like me to go back to eating dinnner with him

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #1719
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your warm welcome. Iíve come to the right place.

MIW, I hadnít even thought about my meds causing insulin surges and cravings, but you are absolutely right. I dug out my CALP book and sure enough, a couple of mine were listed. Not listed was the hydrocodone Iíve been taking for the knee surgery and the bone-on-bone right knee, though it certainly messes me up in other ways, and especially messes up my sleep patterns and mental clarity. The Hellers list inadequate sleep as a stressor that can contribute to insulin resistance. For that matter, they talk quite a bit about stress, period. Iíve sure had that lately (doesnít everybody?), not only with the arthritis and surgery but because after being full-time caregiver to my now 85-year-old husband through years of worsening Alzheimerís, I was forced to put him into assisted living last April. I just couldnít keep him safe anymore at home and was about to drop in my tracks from trying. As anyone who has gone through a similar experience will understand, it has been a difficult adjustment for both of us.

Fortunately, the Hellers offer advice on dealing with stress and on minimizing the impact of meds on insulin resistance. Originally Iíd planned to start out using CAD for the most part because itís so simple and my cousinís stepson had such success with it, but now I think Iíd better re-read and really study CALP, because there is so much additional information.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And good luck with revising your RMs. Iíve been frankly astonished at some of the things youíve been able to eat and still lose, but encouraged by it, too, because it seemed to demonstrate the workability of the basic CAD premise of insulin control. However, our needs do seem to change as our bodies and our lives do, and you are wise to reassess and adjust when what you've been doing doesn't seem to be working anymore. Too, as you point out, it's important to consider the long-term effects of what we eat on our bodies.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:54 AM   #1720
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Thank you all for your warm welcome. Iíve come to the right place.

MIW, I hadnít even thought about my meds causing insulin surges and cravings, but you are absolutely right. I dug out my CALP book and sure enough, a couple of mine were listed. Not listed was the hydrocodone Iíve been taking for the knee surgery and the bone-on-bone right knee, though it certainly messes me up in other ways, and especially messes up my sleep patterns and mental clarity. The Hellers list inadequate sleep as a stressor that can contribute to insulin resistance. For that matter, they talk quite a bit about stress, period. Iíve sure had that lately (doesnít everybody?), not only with the arthritis and surgery but because after being full-time caregiver to my now 85-year-old husband through years of worsening Alzheimerís, I was forced to put him into assisted living last April. I just couldnít keep him safe anymore at home and was about to drop in my tracks from trying. As anyone who has gone through a similar experience will understand, it has been a difficult adjustment for both of us.

Fortunately, the Hellers offer advice on dealing with stress and on minimizing the impact of meds on insulin resistance. Originally Iíd planned to start out using CAD for the most part because itís so simple and my cousinís stepson had such success with it, but now I think Iíd better re-read and really study CALP, because there is so much additional information.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. And good luck with revising your RMs. Iíve been frankly astonished at some of the things youíve been able to eat and still lose, but encouraged by it, too, because it seemed to demonstrate the workability of the basic CAD premise of insulin control. However, our needs do seem to change as our bodies and our lives do, and you are wise to reassess and adjust when what you've been doing doesn't seem to be working anymore. Too, as you point out, it's important to consider the long-term effects of what we eat on our bodies.
Good luck. I am a firm believer it works, IF one stays with the rules. I keep thinking "one meal wont hurt" or "Darn, ate big lunch and now restaurant for supper" and there goes the progress of the last few days

But coming here helps a lot.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 AM   #1721
Major LCF Poster!

I saw the 7 Day Recovery Plan at a used bookstore yesterday as I was so discouraged about my gains on CAD. If I ate that plan I would really blow up. You basically eat three meals a day with protein added but day one starts with dessert at every meal or fruit and then as you progress to day 6-7 you drop the desserts until lunch and then dinner. The meals are large and I know I can lose better on the Raw til 4 and Beverly Hills Diet plan which is what I am switching to. Keep in touch......
Old 12-31-2013, 10:55 AM   #1722
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
Got through the holidays, and was kind of discouraged with the bounces I was getting, but when I averaged EVERYTHING out, I am losing about a pound a week, which is really good for me, I think I am finding there are things that I personally can't eat, even in the RMs, but one thing I am sure of, when I do this right, I'm not hungry all the time. That, like the ads say, is priceless.
Are you starting a new site for 2014?
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:26 PM   #1723
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Atira
Stats: 267.4/265.2/150
WOE: CALP
Start Date: 12/26/2013
Wishing everyone all their dreams come true in 2014. My biggest one is to regain my vigor and youthfulness, no matter my age. I'm hoping to average six pounds released per month on CALP. At one time that would have sounded like a snail's pace. Now I am more realistic and in it for the long haul. Anyone want to share their dreams for 2014?
Atira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:52 AM   #1724
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atira View Post
Wishing everyone all their dreams come true in 2014. My biggest one is to regain my vigor and youthfulness, no matter my age. I'm hoping to average six pounds released per month on CALP. At one time that would have sounded like a snail's pace. Now I am more realistic and in it for the long haul. Anyone want to share their dreams for 2014?
Thank you for the post, and good luck on your journey.

I also am setting goals that I hope are reasonable. Yesterday, I was 192. My goal for 2014 is to be 170 by year end. And I am going to post out measurements later, so I can track that also.

Good luck to everyone on their 2014 goals!
Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #1725
Major LCF Poster!

I'm back to 107.5 after a fruit/open dessert day yesterday. I have been stuck at 110-111 for over two weeks. I won't be posting much as to not deterred anyone from CADing but just wanted you to know that I have found what works best for me for 2014. Today I start the day with fresh pineapple and cinnamon. I'll eat a whole one. Then dinner will be open and maybe a feast tonight! Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #1726
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-227)/160
WOE: Atkins/Fast-5
Start Date: 1972
stumbled through a snack marathon at the danceI played for last night, ate mostly cheese and drank tea, must have done o.k., still feel good. Glad this is the last holiday thing I have to do. Will there be a new CAD site for 2014?
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #1727
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
stumbled through a snack marathon at the danceI played for last night, ate mostly cheese and drank tea, must have done o.k., still feel good. Glad this is the last holiday thing I have to do. Will there be a new CAD site for 2014?
Happy New Year everyone and good point! I had an EXCELLENT 2013 and here's to a new 2014 Hangout. Look for the thread to follow...

MIW
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM   #1728
Major LCF Poster!

Ok I started a new 2014 CAD/CALP Hangout so look for us to be posting there. I am on my smart phone for the time being and can't cut and paste so if someone would be so kind as to do a link for the new 2014 site here as a "last" post and also if someone could cut and paste the articles and "rules" that are located at the start of this 2013 thread and paste it as a post on the new site that would be great. Happy New Year's everyone!

MIW aka Make It Work
Old 01-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #1729
Senior LCF Member

Happy New Year everyone! Does having a new thread for 2014 mean we'll discontinue this one go someplace else on the 'net, or do we just keep posting here? I'm not very technical--in fact, if my sister (who works for Microsoft) and my niece and her husband didn't help me with my computer, I might not even own one. If the thread changes, somebody please tell me how to get there.

Great idea to think about and post goals. Iím going to take my lead from Atira, and work toward reversing the ravages of age and overweight. Some parts of aging are unavoidable, but others are optional, and can be reversed. I watched my grandmother do it decades ago, when she was up in her eighties. She got tired of being old and stiff, and started working at becoming more limber, a little at a time. Eventually she could bend over at the hips and place the palms of both hands flat on the floor!

So here are my goals:
1. At least 95% compliance with CAD/CALP for the full year.
2. Break the habits that are undermining my health. This means I have to put food in its proper place. It is nourishment. It is not entertainment. It is not love. It should not be what I turn to for comfort.
3. Eat mindfully, noticing how foods affect me. Iíve already noticed that sugar sends my arthritis into overdrive, and that caffeine causes carb cravings. I also know that I have the blood markers for gluten intolerance, but that eating anything with gluten makes me want more. Maybe there are other foods that cause inflammation or cravings that I need to avoid, even at RMs. A food diary will help me spot these patterns.
4. Get back some strength. Faithfully do the Sit and Be Fit Exercises, and push myself to walk a little farther all the time until Iím doing a mile and a half three times a week, as I was only a couple of years ago after I recovered from the hip surgery and before the knees gave out.
5. Reduce dependence on painkilling drugs. Avoiding inflammation will help, and so will building strength through exercise. When you have arthritis, you donít want to move, but the less you move, the worse the arthritis gets. Ya gotta fight, fight, fight.

There are other changes I need to make, but this should be enough to work on for now! Iím not setting a goal for a certain number of pounds lost, because if I donít make it, Iíll feel like a failure. It will be enough to lose a little at a time, and to hang tough when I reach plateaus until they are past. I have to remember that I didnít get in this shape overnight, and undoing as much damage as I can will be a long, long process. Baby steps will have to do.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #1730
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Happy New Year everyone! Does having a new thread for 2014 mean we'll discontinue this one go someplace else on the 'net, or do we just keep posting here? I'm not very technical--in fact, if my sister (who works for Microsoft) and my niece and her husband didn't help me with my computer, I might not even own one. If the thread changes, somebody please tell me how to get there.

Great idea to think about and post goals. Iím going to take my lead from Atira, and work toward reversing the ravages of age and overweight. Some parts of aging are unavoidable, but others are optional, and can be reversed. I watched my grandmother do it decades ago, when she was up in her eighties. She got tired of being old and stiff, and started working at becoming more limber, a little at a time. Eventually she could bend over at the hips and place the palms of both hands flat on the floor!

So here are my goals:
1. At least 95% compliance with CAD/CALP for the full year.
2. Break the habits that are undermining my health. This means I have to put food in its proper place. It is nourishment. It is not entertainment. It is not love. It should not be what I turn to for comfort.
3. Eat mindfully, noticing how foods affect me. Iíve already noticed that sugar sends my arthritis into overdrive, and that caffeine causes carb cravings. I also know that I have the blood markers for gluten intolerance, but that eating anything with gluten makes me want more. Maybe there are other foods that cause inflammation or cravings that I need to avoid, even at RMs. A food diary will help me spot these patterns.
4. Get back some strength. Faithfully do the Sit and Be Fit Exercises, and push myself to walk a little farther all the time until Iím doing a mile and a half three times a week, as I was only a couple of years ago after I recovered from the hip surgery and before the knees gave out.
5. Reduce dependence on painkilling drugs. Avoiding inflammation will help, and so will building strength through exercise. When you have arthritis, you donít want to move, but the less you move, the worse the arthritis gets. Ya gotta fight, fight, fight.

There are other changes I need to make, but this should be enough to work on for now! Iím not setting a goal for a certain number of pounds lost, because if I donít make it, Iíll feel like a failure. It will be enough to lose a little at a time, and to hang tough when I reach plateaus until they are past. I have to remember that I didnít get in this shape overnight, and undoing as much damage as I can will be a long, long process. Baby steps will have to do.
Beadelia- you are definitely going to have success in 2014 with that list of goals and if you stick to them! I know I had 10 days or less in the last 14 months that I did something other than CAD and it wasn't worth it!

As to finding other links: at the top of this page ther is a blue "hyperlink" in the upper left hand side of the screen that says Low carb friends. When you click on it- it should take you to all the links to the various topics. If you scroll down a bit you will see another blue hyperlinnk and at the bottom of the first list there is one that says "Other Plans." That is where the Carbohydrate addicts ones are. There you can scroll through and see the various CAD threads and find us there!

MIW
Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #1731
Big Yapper!!!!

2014 Carbohydrate Addict's CAD/CALP Hangout

Not sure if this will work!!

I will try again, if I have to....
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #1732
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyvamp
Stats: 171.5/150.6/145
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/7/13 restart 12/16/13
Came in to see how everyone is doing, I left a while ago because I just can't control my portions on C.A.D and I wasn't losing enough, I ended up having to switch to Weight Watchers. I sure did love C.A.D though
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #1733
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Cyvamp,

It's good to see you! We're actually in the 2014 Hangout now! You should come join, CAD or not!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote