Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #1681
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
MIW how's your weight? Have you been staying off the scale? I am too afraid to eat outside my hour even though I know that fruit helps me. It still makes me hungry and I know that fat and protein are key to controling binges.
oriana is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #1682
Major LCF Poster!

MIW,weren't you hungry juicing? How do you plan on incorporating juicing with CADing?
Old 12-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #1683
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
MIW how's your weight? Have you been staying off the scale? I am too afraid to eat outside my hour even though I know that fruit helps me. It still makes me hungry and I know that fat and protein are key to controling binges.
Yes, I have been staying off the scale. Just too much of having to do 4am weigh-ins some days, then 8am the next due to working and those few hours do make a difference so I thought in light of "S" since she doesn't weigh, I am taking a week or two off from the being a slave to the scale and see what happens! LOL

As to encorpratinng juicing with CAD: I just plan on drinking tons of juice during my one hour, maybe also coming up with a CM friendly juice blend and just drink them down with protein. I would do carrots and fruit juices with green juice during the RM hour to keep it on plan. Then on top of that cup out the "junk" carbs for the time I juice. Just to cleanse a bit and de-sugar my body. I will still eat meat, dairy, and veggies like corn, potatos, etc as well. Mainly just eat whole foods along with juicing...

MIW
Old 12-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #1684
Major LCF Poster!

There is a sense of freedom from staying off the scale. My friend would always encourage me to trust the one meal a day RM and let go of the scale but I just don't have enough faith yet that I won't blow up with all I eat! LOL! I ended up having a large ribeye, big salad with ranch, big pc. of cake with a lot of buttercream frosting and a blob of ice cream, can of Pepsi. I like eating at around noon or for dinners now it seems but I like the energy I get when I eat early and the weight doesn't seem to jump. I do know that I can't eat fruit outside of my rms like I used to. It really sends me through the roof with hunger. I can always eat as much as I want and as much juice as I want at my rm without the surge of hunger. I was 107 this a.m.
Old 12-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #1685
Major LCF Poster!

Let me know if you get really bad cravings when you start incorporating juices. My son says that every time he has a fruit smoothie it makes him sooo hungry. He doesn't know much about diets as he is slim but it is funny that even he notices the insulin surge.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #1686
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/expecting!/110 as of 09/24/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Kat- AWESOME downward trend you and your hubby have got goin' on there! Keep it up. I have been still eating mainly my one meal a day, for breakfast, but due to many changing times: getting up super early for work, etc I have had the occaisional CM. Not sure if coincidence or not but I also seem to be in a stall but I have see it before and am just going to keep on going. I continue to NOT count calories and just eat whatever I want being sure to get fresh fruits and veggies as often as possilbe. I am considering doing a juice fast/combo with my RM's for January but am not 100% sure how I am going to swing it. Mainly I want to cut out the junk carbs for a bit and add in some super phyto nutrients.

Not sure if anyone saw Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead documentary. Was on Netflix. Two guys lost a TON of weight and got rid of some health issues and medicatianons by juicing. Anyway, the main guy mentioned in the doc that even after getting to maintenence that he still juices like one month a year. Got me to thinking how good I felt when I used to juice. I mainly did veggies with a green apple thrown in to make it taste good. You can feel the buzz after getting all those nutrients absorbed! I would also combine with lots of protein and not just juicing as my only nutrition!

MIW
Thanks, MIW! I've always wanted to try juicing, but the closest I've ever come to it is on that 48 hour Hollywood juice diet, which was a horrible experience. I'm sure if I had actually made it myself out of healthy ingredients it might have gone better. If you hit on any great CM juice recipes, please share!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #1687
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyvamp View Post
Whew, finally...I lost just over 4lbs last week that I had been holding onto from the ibuprofen. I did not do CAD last week, I lived on protein smoothies, cottage cheese, eggs etc. I also couldnt exercise, so I was going over my calories quite a bit.

MIW I saw that documentary and wanted to try it. I bought a blender last week for smoothies , I was going to try and mix a bunch of veges in there and get the fiber as well, but I bet it wouldn't work, I would need one of those awesome blenders for that. I have also discovered that I really like to chew...so mentally I think I would fail
W00t! Congrats, Cyvamp! 4 lbs in one week is killer! I hate it when I retain weight, but it does feel good when you're suddenly a lot lighter one morning
Old 12-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #1688
Major LCF Poster!

Well, there is something to whole foods. I gained two pounds after what I ate yesterday and that was after a long morning run. The day before no exercise but meals spread out and all whole raw fruit with no time for dinner but scarfed down 6 Baby Ruth bars. I lost two pounds on that and gained on my one meal in one hour. I am starting to rethink this.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #1689
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Well, there is something to whole foods. I gained two pounds after what I ate yesterday and that was after a long morning run. The day before no exercise but meals spread out and all whole raw fruit with no time for dinner but scarfed down 6 Baby Ruth bars. I lost two pounds on that and gained on my one meal in one hour. I am starting to rethink this.
Oriana don't cave so quick. That is why the daily wts and can bring people down. I know for myself it can take several days for something to show up on the scale and you can't count the next day "always" as a result from the day before. Just hang in there.

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #1690
Major LCF Poster!

Merry Christmas everyone! My second one on CAD and I feel great!

MIW
Old 12-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #1691
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Let me know if you get really bad cravings when you start incorporating juices. My son says that every time he has a fruit smoothie it makes him sooo hungry. He doesn't know much about diets as he is slim but it is funny that even he notices the insulin surge.
Does he put apples and/or yogurt (Fat kinds, not fat free) or any protein powders in his smoothies? I've been reading about "super" foods that keep you from getting hungry and yogurt is one, so are apples since the pectin in them slows digestion keeping one full plus it bulks itt up. I've wondered about it because if I don't have my smoothie with my early RM's I will get hungry later!

MIW
Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #1692
Major LCF Poster!

Don't worry MIW, I won't cave! Just frustrated. Now I know why some don't weigh every day as it can deter you. Those mind games are for the birds!!! I had my one meal for Christmas as planned and it was a doozy!!! You and are lifers I am afraid!!! Got a load of chocolate in my stocking for rms!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 06:17 PM   #1693
Major LCF Poster!

MIW my son drinks just fruit only smoothies and sometimes those Yoplait ones from Costco but they are fat free. I know that I can't go long periods of time with my rm if I eat low fat. Yet, if my rm like yesterday is apples and chocolate it sustains me even though it isn't balanced. I still can't spread out my fruit over the day without bingish thoughts and won't go back to that. Even if I have to, which I haven't yet, eat less to lose or maintain, I will still only eat one meal a day. I can't control myself if I eat all day like I used to on past Christmases. I remember feeling like I had a hang over only from food and yet I never felt satisfied.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #1694
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
MIW my son drinks just fruit only smoothies and sometimes those Yoplait ones from Costco but they are fat free. I know that I can't go long periods of time with my rm if I eat low fat. Yet, if my rm like yesterday is apples and chocolate it sustains me even though it isn't balanced. I still can't spread out my fruit over the day without bingish thoughts and won't go back to that. Even if I have to, which I haven't yet, eat less to lose or maintain, I will still only eat one meal a day. I can't control myself if I eat all day like I used to on past Christmases. I remember feeling like I had a hang over only from food and yet I never felt satisfied.
Well I read this article recently on Fox News about 10 super foods that keep you full longer and I eat a lot of them: eggs, apples, yogurt, potatoes. Those are the ones I remember that I eat. You should google it. I think it makes a difference not just the protein but the carbs too

MIW
Old 12-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #1695
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Don't worry MIW, I won't cave! Just frustrated. Now I know why some don't weigh every day as it can deter you. Those mind games are for the birds!!! I had my one meal for Christmas as planned and it was a doozy!!! You and are lifers I am afraid!!! Got a load of chocolate in my stocking for rms!!!

Good to hear! You had me worried for a minute! LOL

How long would you say you've been at CAD and one meal a day now? I know for me it's been since Nov 1, 2013. Would you say this is the longest you have ever followed one type of diet? I know I never did anything, even WW which was the longest for maybe like 4 months. I love the flexibility of this and I am a LIFER!!!! LOL

MIW
Old 12-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #1696
Major LCF Poster!

MIW why do you think "S" was able to lose 100 pounds in a year? Do you think it was because she only ate one meal a day the whole time? I mean she even says she eats more than she ever has on WW or any other WOE. Have you been eating your RM later over the holidays and have you weighed in at all?
Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #1697
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Read article other day about balancingcarbs and sugars. In a way it makes sense but I fear cravings. Not ready to leave CAD. I don't stick to it totally but it fits me bestyet.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #1698
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Oriana don't cave so quick. That is why the daily wts and can bring people down. I know for myself it can take several days for something to show up on the scale and you can't count the next day "always" as a result from the day before. Just hang in there.

MIW
I started doing weekly goals and that is helping me a lot.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #1699
Major LCF Poster!

Ladies, if you get a chance read "True Grit" on Peter Attia's Eating Academy site. Look at the graph of the person he worked with and the frustration caused by daily weights. He talks about this and that you have to not go by daily weights but the long term. The Hellers were right on about averages and weights. I think I am staying off the scale. Here is a quote from it:

Now, imagine the day-to-day frustration this person (I know, because I was working with this person) experienced with the fluctuations in scale readings! It was tempting on many occasions to say, “Forget it, I’m going back to what I was doing before.” Just like there were many days I didn’t feel like going to swim practice, or days I didn’t feel like deliberately practicing my surgical technique.

If you remember nothing else, remember this: the game is won – or lost – not by the infrequent big changes, but by the frequent, deliberate, and repeatable small ones. This is where grit comes in.

Fortunately, such situations are very rare! Most people, with the correct dietary intervention, armed with sufficient grit, and the confidence to stay the course, despite the day-to-day and week-to-week fluctuations, will emerge as renewed people.

Last edited by oriana; 12-27-2013 at 07:30 AM..
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #1700
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyvamp
Stats: 171.5/150.6/145
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/7/13 restart 12/16/13
ok made the green juice from the recipe...YUCK lol. I am far from fussy too..back to egg whites for me...good golly lol
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #1701
Senior LCF Member

Fascinating article and too right. Three weeks into this diet, I was so bummed that I'd only been losing .3 lb a week. I remember one day in the third week, I woke up and weighed myself to see 129.6--my starting weight. I almost quit at that moment. Just like in the article, I thought there was no point. Then I read about MIW's success with BB and decided to try a lunch RM. I also started paying careful attention to the balance of my RMs. Since then, I've had very steady loss. The weight loss app that I used has pinpointed my loss at .81 per week. I'm waiting with baited breath now for the inevitable plateau.

Since that article included such a neat infographic showing weight loss pattern, I thought I'd include my own. I always tend to have huge drops followed by huge rebound gain and then a slooooooow drop. How about you folks?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-12-27-11-32-10.jpg (15.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_2013-12-27-11-33-04.jpg (15.6 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by KatMck; 12-27-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Old 12-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #1702
Major LCF Poster!

Me........I always quit after I would see a gain. So it is best if I stick to one meal a day, high fat, one hour, early if possible and no weighing in. Maybe I should not weigh for 6 months!! I don't know if I am strong enough.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #1703
Major LCF Poster!

Anybody wanna try one meal a day and high fat just for kicks? There is a guy in one of Attia's articles that ate 5000 calories high fat over a period of time and only gained 3 pounds. Then he did the same thing only high carb and gained 15 pounds.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1704
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Anybody wanna try one meal a day and high fat just for kicks? There is a guy in one of Attia's articles that ate 5000 calories high fat over a period of time and only gained 3 pounds. Then he did the same thing only high carb and gained 15 pounds.
I am already eating high fat, but I've never been able to eat just one meal a day. I think it's just mental, but I feel sick whenever I try to do it. I had a horrible time when I tried the 5:2 diet too. Do you usually eat your one meal at breakfast? Did the guy in Attia's article eat high fat/low carb or just high fat? I'd be very interested if he was able to eat that much and include carbs and not gain!

I had a phenomenal Xmas week. I ended up not cheating at all due to a messed up situation with my inlaws and am down 2 lbs in my average (I was up last week!). Silver linings, I guess?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #1705
Major LCF Poster!

Peter Attia advocates lower protein than fat. You must not eat too much protein as it can also promote insulin release. High fat is the key.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #1706
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Peter Attia advocates lower protein than fat. You must not eat too much protein as it can also promote insulin release. High fat is the key.
Does Dr. Attia ever talk about IF or how frequently he eats? Just curious.

MIW
Old 12-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #1707
Major LCF Poster!

MIW look at the Eating Academy and he shows how he ate at first up to 5000 calories a day and that was a couple years ago. He just decided to experiment lately and shows his second diet trend which is always high fat, and watch the protein. Now he has been doing intermittant fasting with his high fat diet. So he even says that he fasts for 24 hours for 2 days of the week like from dinner to dinner and then the other days he eats two meals or three meals.

Have you thought about eating later like you used to? I know if I eat later I am really not hungry in the morning at all. What do you think would happen if you ate rm lunches or dinners again. I know S doesn't worry about it and she is a slim 128 pounds. I think I missed eating dinners with my family and that is why I kept wanting to try other things. It was sort of stressing me out to be done eating so early in the day. I am feeling more relaxed now that I can eat later with family. But like today, I just ate at noon and was fine. I think it is just eating at 7 a.m. that was getting to me and then when i started eating my BB at 4 a.m and the rest later before 9 a.m. it was like eating 2 meals. Not good for me. I have to stick to one meal.

Last edited by oriana; 12-28-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 PM   #1708
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
MIW look at the Eating Academy and he shows how he ate at first up to 5000 calories a day and that was a couple years ago. He just decided to experiment lately and shows his second diet trend which is always high fat, and watch the protein. Now he has been doing intermittant fasting with his high fat diet. So he even says that he fasts for 24 hours for 2 days of the week like from dinner to dinner and then the other days he eats two meals or three meals.

Have you thought about eating later like you used to? I know if I eat later I am really not hungry in the morning at all. What do you think would happen if you ate rm lunches or dinners again. I know S doesn't worry about it and she is a slim 128 pounds. I think I missed eating dinners with my family and that is why I kept wanting to try other things. It was sort of stressing me out to be done eating so early in the day. I am feeling more relaxed now that I can eat later with family. But like today, I just ate at noon and was fine. I think it is just eating at 7 a.m. that was getting to me and then when i started eating my BB at 4 a.m and the rest later before 9 a.m. it was like eating 2 meals. Not good for me. I have to stick to one meal.
BF is easiest for me to not eat. DH expects me to eat evenings with him. If I skipped that one, DH would chew........... ON ME!! Just fact. He isn't happy if I don't eat BF. But I do eat LC in the mornings if I am hungry. It has taken me awhile to figure out that If I am not hungry, I don't have to eat.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #1709
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Beadelia
Hi Alló

May I join in here? Iíve been lurking for a few months, and trying CAD off and on (but mostly off despite good intentions), and have decided that I just canít do it alone. I need some accountability, and someplace to bring my questions. And I REALLY need to lose weight. I am 71 years old, five foot one, 202.8 lbs, and arthritic. I had a hip replacement 2 years ago, and the first of two much-needed knee replacements in late September. Iím trying to delay having the second knee replacement until I can hopefully shed some serious pounds.

I got interested in CAD after striking up a conversation with a cousinís new stepson whom I met in early September. This muscular and solid, but by no means fat, young man told me that he had once weighed 545 lbs (I could swear thatís what he said, and relatives confirm that he was very large) until he found what he called ďÖa diet so simple even I could follow it.Ē I might have thought he was kidding about ever weighing that much, but he pulled a thin flap of loose skin an astonishing distance out from the side of his face to show me just how much more of him there used to be. Believe me, he got my attention! Naturally I asked about his diet.

He said it was called the Carbohydrate Addictís Diet, and heíd never been able to find it again but the rules were so simple that heíd remembered them, followed them, lost the weight, and kept it off. He said you ate two protein meals a day, and then one meal at which you could eat whatever you wanted as long as you finished within one hour. But you didnít have to weigh, measure, or track anythingójust follow the simple rules.

I was afraid to hope that this plan might work for me because of my age, lack of mobility, and decades of yo-yo dieting, and because men seem to lose more easily than women. But I did some Googling, bought the Hellersí first two books, and started in. The first week I lost 4.6 lbs. The second week I lost 1.3, which was a more comfortable speed for me. Total 5.9 lbs. Best of all, my carb cravings were gone after just a few days. After decades of thinking about food every waking moment and never knowing what it was like not to feel hungry and out of control (I scored 45 on the Hellersí test), that felt like a miracle.

On Monday of the third week I had knee replacement surgery, and it turned out to be more of a setback than I expected. Very little activity, anesthesia and heavy painkillers really messing up my system for a long time, and not being in charge in the kitchen. I ate whatever seemed likely to go down and stay there, like ginger ale, tapioca, oatmeal, and Greek yogurt. I also ate a lot of takeout. Soon I started regaining the little weight I'd lost and the cravings returned big time. Itís been a roller-coaster ride ever since, and since Thanksgiving Iíve been on a real sugar binge, hence my present weight of 202.8. (Sure hope some of that is water.)

So thereís my story, and I apologize for the book-length introduction, but if youíll bear with me a little longer I have one big question: while I need fewer and smaller snacks when Iím eating the CAD way, I often need more than one protein snack per day, and sometimes wake up hungry at night. Also, Iím on some meds that need to be taken with milk or food, and I canít always time them with my regular meals. Does anybody else have trouble holding it down to one snack per day, and have you still been able to lose weight? I just know that if I have to be hungry for even a few hours, Iíll give up on this diet completely. Aside from this one major exception, when Iím on plan Iím sort of between CAD and CALPódoing the 2 CMs and an RM (usually evening), but not obsessing about balancing the RM exactly every single time, especially when eating stir fry or a ďHamburger HelperĒ type dish (made from scratch using real food) where the ingredients are all mixed together.

Many thanks to all of you for the helpful things youíve taught me through your posts. Iíve read them all, and especially appreciate the plan summaries given right at the beginning. The way you encourage one another is truly wonderful. Your successes really convince me that this WOE can work for anyone, even me, if I can just stick with it and keep from becoming discouraged by my mistakes and setbacks. And MIW, extra special thanks to you for your faithful and detailed posting and for recommending the Sit and Be Fit videos to Jaymar last September 10. They are perfect for me, too.
Beadelia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #1710
Big Yapper!!!!

Welcome!!