Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 AM   #1561
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/109.6/110 as of 08/21/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyvamp View Post
I am bummed the scale is up two lbs. I am hoping its water because I am sore
Heavy exercise will definitely make you retain water. And running is definitely one of the toughest exercises you can do! I always wimp out even on short runs. It's the quickest way to look lean and mean, though!

I had a great week this week. I busted through my 128 plateau and had an average of 127.2. Plus, the past two days I've seen 126, including 126.2 today! I am going to expect a bump up in the next couple of days because I too have been working out too hard and will probably be retaining water.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #1562
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyvamp
Stats: 171.5/150.6/145
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/7/13 restart 12/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Heavy exercise will definitely make you retain water. And running is definitely one of the toughest exercises you can do! I always wimp out even on short runs. It's the quickest way to look lean and mean, though!

I had a great week this week. I busted through my 128 plateau and had an average of 127.2. Plus, the past two days I've seen 126, including 126.2 today! I am going to expect a bump up in the next couple of days because I too have been working out too hard and will probably be retaining water.
You are doing GREAT!. I never ran outside because I never want anyone to see me lol, but with my treadmill under the weather I figured I would give it a try. Its hard as heck. I can go 5 miles on my treadmill when I am in a running mood, 3 miles outside and when I stop my legs feel like jello
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1563
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
Going to read the past posts for the year and consider doing this way of eating. Thanks for the input.
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #1564
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You are doing GREAT!. I never ran outside because I never want anyone to see me lol, but with my treadmill under the weather I figured I would give it a try. Its hard as heck. I can go 5 miles on my treadmill when I am in a running mood, 3 miles outside and when I stop my legs feel like jello
Thanks, Cyvamp. I am still miserable today from my workouts this past week. Not to mention I have gigantic bruises all over the back of my knees from the lyra. Ugh.

Is anyone else dreading Thanksgiving? My husband and I are going camping with my parents, and they are some of the worst food pushers I've ever seen. I'm actually debating on whether to bring up to them how I'm eating now or to just quietly bring our own supplies and deal with my dad's reaction later. They're already talking about all the croissants and pastries we're going to have for breakfast. Sounds delicious, but on Thanksgiving weekend I'm not wasting my RM on breakfast! Whatever I do, I know my dad is going to start in on the "you only live once, live a little, it's a special occasion" spiel. Of course, with my dad special occasions occur about every two weeks.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #1565
Senior LCF Member

I am going to take thanksgiving off, this is my life plan and not a diet, I know I could just go ahead and have my pie right after the meal, but I want to eat with everyone else. I know it will derail my progress and I am ok with that, I am making this choice. Might be a bad one, but I am not always known for making good ones lol
Old 11-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #1566
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Thanks, Cyvamp. I am still miserable today from my workouts this past week. Not to mention I have gigantic bruises all over the back of my knees from the lyra. Ugh.

Is anyone else dreading Thanksgiving? My husband and I are going camping with my parents, and they are some of the worst food pushers I've ever seen. I'm actually debating on whether to bring up to them how I'm eating now or to just quietly bring our own supplies and deal with my dad's reaction later. They're already talking about all the croissants and pastries we're going to have for breakfast. Sounds delicious, but on Thanksgiving weekend I'm not wasting my RM on breakfast! Whatever I do, I know my dad is going to start in on the "you only live once, live a little, it's a special occasion" spiel. Of course, with my dad special occasions occur about every two weeks.
You know i could almost go either way on this one. But i do want to point out that hyperinsulinemia IS a medical disorder. It is the precursor in an entire syndrome that sets someone up for diabetes. My 4 day off- plan RV trip this summer was a big eye opener. I was eating lesscalories then than i am now. All i did different was eat many times a day, did not have protein eith each meal, and drank more sugary things like alcohol and iced mochas or roor beer floats that i sipped on for a long time. I gained 8 pounds in 4 days!

4 pounds came off the first day back on plan. It took 17 days to shed the other 4 pounds which must have been stored to fat.... the point is that there is no cure for insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia. You can just hope to get less insulin resistant or use some of the CAD rules to trick the body into releasing less insulin so you can get away with still eating carbs for the one meal day. I think at some point we have to draw a line in the sand and decide to not cross it. There are always going to be holidays, stress, special events, and diet sabotagers. Ther are facts of life. It all comes down to personal choice and control.

I WISH EVERYONE LUCK TO SOP AND TO HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING! I already have a game plan in place. One meal, RM, only large lunch style instead of for big breakfast. I am ok if i need to eat other times but if i do it will be carb free.

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 11-25-2013 at 10:01 AM..
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:05 AM   #1567
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am going to take thanksgiving off, this is my life plan and not a diet, I know I could just go ahead and have my pie right after the meal, but I want to eat with everyone else. I know it will derail my progress and I am ok with that, I am making this choice. Might be a bad one, but I am not always known for making good ones lol
It is good to see how things affect the metabolism from time to time and can be used as the learning process. One day definately is not the end of the world just be sure to get right back up on the horse the next day. It is ok to get knocked down but always get right back up and dont stay down!!!

MIW
Old 11-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #1568
Major LCF Poster!

Today I am 210.2 lbs which is a new low wt for me. I was up to 213.6 this weekend but that was from eating chili dogs, mcdonalds, and combined with weighing at 4 am instead of 7 or 8 am. I did not let it discourage me because I SOP, knew in advance I'd be changing the foods and times so i was prepared mentally for that huge jump. That is what daily wts have taught me. One day back to my usual regimen and the water weight flushed itself out thankfully quicker even than i expected, lol.

MIW
Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #1569
Senior LCF Member

I agree, I may not even do it. I may save dessert for the next day..last night I was too full for dessert(more frozen yogurt from the addicting place lol), so its in the freezer for today. I just don't want to be so obsessed and rigid as I have in the past. One day doesn't need to turn in to a week like it has with other plans.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #1570
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:

Those are tough. Maybe take some nuts and cheeses, and when everyone is snacking, you can eat those?

Today all-day meeting with all food provided....so I took poppyseed muffins for BF--but kept at my plate and ate them with my lunch. So I didn't miss out, I just looked at them for 3 hrs...... and afternoon, I took iced tea, and took the apple with me, to eat later.

Two days of this, and then Thanksgiving......... CAD will see me thru.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1571
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CADDAD
Doing better this week and sticking with the plan. Cutting out the beer definitely helps too even though its allowed during my RM. I'm get better results without it. I also want to start hitting the gym more but I can feel CAD working!
CADDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 AM   #1572
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: tami
Hi folks!
I just joined and was curious whether you find this way of eating to be successful? My backround is I am very overweight, 100 lbs, and my husband is very overweight with Type 2 diabetes, high bp, high chol. We have 5 kids and homeschool. We are on one income,so buying organic/no gmo/etc unfortunately is a little too pricey. Though my heart's desire would be to eat that way. One of my closest friends highly recommends this diet and she has pretty much explained it, and I have read about it. She has done it,for the most part for 15+ years. She has never really been overweight though. Sorry so long winded, just curious if you all have found this to be successful. Is this realistic? Would love, and appreciate thoughts -tami
tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #1573
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tami View Post
Hi folks!
I just joined and was curious whether you find this way of eating to be successful? My backround is I am very overweight, 100 lbs, and my husband is very overweight with Type 2 diabetes, high bp, high chol. We have 5 kids and homeschool. We are on one income,so buying organic/no gmo/etc unfortunately is a little too pricey. Though my heart's desire would be to eat that way. One of my closest friends highly recommends this diet and she has pretty much explained it, and I have read about it. She has done it,for the most part for 15+ years. She has never really been overweight though. Sorry so long winded, just curious if you all have found this to be successful. Is this realistic? Would love, and appreciate thoughts -tami
In a nutshell to everything you asked- YES!!!

I have to go to work so cant type a more detailed reply. You would get a lot out of going back and reading the entire thread, and also the 2012 CAD hangout thread. Teri at her site lowcarbcompatible took off 100 pounds in 5 years. Patrciakr on the Hour Power # 5 thread ( google it) has lost 130+ pouns. Enomarb on that same group has been doing it over 10 years and shot past her goal and had to start eating more. Today i am a new low weight and eat anywhere from 1800-3880 (not a typo) in calories daily and upwards of 300+ gms of carbs and am still losing. It will not fail you, only you can fail this woe.

MIW
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #1574
Major LCF Poster!

Well despite being up 1.05 lbs from last weeks average Monday and Tuesday bam!- new lows!!! Today I am 209.4 lbs. I am now in the single digits fast approaching 100 land

MIW
Old 11-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #1575
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Well despite being up 1.05 lbs from last weeks average Monday and Tuesday bam!- new lows!!! Today I am 209.4 lbs. I am now in the single digits fast approaching 100 land

MIW
Woo hoo! Congrats! This diet works and is so easy to stay on compared to any other diet I've been on! You folks are an inspiration!

Great news all around this week. I finally got brave enought to call my dad and tell him about the diet, and he was way nicer about it than I expected. He said he'd make sure he brought sausage and eggs for us for breakfast and even said he wanted to hear all about this diet because it sounds amazing and nothing else has ever worked for him!

And shock of all shocks, the scale read 123.4 today! Absolutely crazy! I'm expecting a bump soon though because I'm approaching PMS territory, so I'm trying not to be too excited.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM   #1576
Senior LCF Member

Woohoo you guys are awesome, I am up..wait for it ...4 freakin pounds since I started running, and my pants are tight. I am holding on to some serious water right now. I am going to take a couple days off and let my body heal a bit
Old 11-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #1577
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Woohoo you guys are awesome, I am up..wait for it ...4 freakin pounds since I started running, and my pants are tight. I am holding on to some serious water right now. I am going to take a couple days off and let my body heal a bit
It's weird how exercise does that to you. I'm always up on the scale after my hardest workouts. Speaking of which, up over a pound today to 124.6. I knew it couldn't last!

That's okay. I actually really like the average weight system because I've always tended to freak out over daily fluctuations. When I can see the scale going down by the week, it provides a lot more perspective.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #1578
Major LCF Poster!

I am still doing good. Sloly cycled back to breakfast RM only. Yesterday I knew I didnt eat enough protein at breakfast so later I did have a CM? Today I ate enough, plus was sure to get in my fruit smoothie, ice cream milkshake, and wome chocolate so I am hoping to get back in the groove of things. Also had a big salad which I have been lacking veggies for a week now. Todays wt was 211.8.

Hoping my weekly avg tomorrow will be decent!!

MIW
Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #1579
Junior LCF Member

Made it through Thanksgiving in one piece one Reward meal at a time! Thank God for CAD I was able to have my cheesecake (several days of Veniero's cheesecake) and eat it too! Internet's been acting up again so I haven't been able to post much but I'm sticking with it. Staying away from alcohol has helped me to not cheat. I love this way of living life!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #1580
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement iaKaren...hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving!

Last edited by CADDAD; 12-01-2013 at 12:33 AM..
Old 12-01-2013, 05:11 AM   #1581
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADDAD View Post
Made it through Thanksgiving in one piece one Reward meal at a time! Thank God for CAD I was able to have my cheesecake (several days of Veniero's cheesecake) and eat it too! Internet's been acting up again so I haven't been able to post much but I'm sticking with it. Staying away from alcohol has helped me to not cheat. I love this way of living life!
Glad you are sticking to plan. It is a major milestone to survive a Holiday weekend without the scale jumping up.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #1582
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADDAD View Post
That is Great. Remember the Heller's saying, "You are only a RM away from your favorite foods." Or something to that effect. I have become very good now at being able to wait until the next day the few times I get a hankering for something. I dont want to derail my metabolism anymore!!!!

My laptop is on the fritz too. That is why I am not replying as much. Please excuse all the typos and shorter replies. I am tap tap tapping on my Nook or tablet and it is not fun doing this one letter at a time. Glorified texting is what it is and at least with text I can swipe which is fairly fast compared to this....

MIW
Old 12-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #1583
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hopetolose
Stats: 144/132/120
Good morning to everyone.
Sounds like you all are doing great. I am doing just great and thanks to this WOE I was able to stick to plan during the holiday. Instead of the big breakfast I usually eat, I had my meal at noon with my guests so worked out great. First time in years!!
Scale bounces a little for me but not because I don't stick to plan - that is just the way I am, but overall gradually coming down. Yay. Finally!!
Today's menu:
4 oz turkey
homemade casserole with turkey - tastes like stuffing
egg
salad/ homemade dressing
homemade sf blueberry pie
yogurt
Hope all have a great day!
hopetolose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #1584
Major LCF Poster!

I am down 0.77 from last week and up only 0.28 lbs from my all time low 2 weeks ago. Not too shabby for the amount of calories I've been eating and also switched RM times a couple times this week. I am back to big breakfast RMs again and am feelin the groove!!!!

MIW
Old 12-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #1585
Senior LCF Member

Everyone is doing wonderfully!! I did something to my tooth when I was running last week, might be tmj or the cold, or I cracked it..not sure. I have to call around for dentists tomorrow...ughggh..not fun
Old 12-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #1586
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nitenurse
Stats: 290-/(240-233)/160
WOE: Atkins/CAD
Start Date: 1972
I went back to page 1 and read all the posts, very interesting, and thanks to all of you that so faithfully post. I think I am beginning to understand a little, will have to get my hands on one of those books, the Hellers have written quite a few, don't know which one would help the most, or maybe in what order would be best to get one, or two???
nitenurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #1587
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
I went back to page 1 and read all the posts, very interesting, and thanks to all of you that so faithfully post. I think I am beginning to understand a little, will have to get my hands on one of those books, the Hellers have written quite a few, don't know which one would help the most, or maybe in what order would be best to get one, or two???
I am using the Carbohydrate Addict Diet Lifespan Program book. It updates the first book with some more rules for the reward meal that I found helpful. I know people here have also had a lot of luck with the Stress Eating Cure.

My holiday went okay. It wasn't as bad or as good as it could have been.

My dad thought the diet was interesting but spent most of the time telling me the carb counts of things that I couldn't eat: "Well, you can have two of these crackers for only 5 grams of carbs."

Me: "Sigh. That's not how it works, Dad." Rinse, wash, repeat for three days.

We also ate out a lot, so even though I stuck faithfully to the low carb meals, my reward meals were anything but balanced.

Anyway, the damage wasn't too extensive because this morning I was 125.8, only .4 up from my average last week.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #1588
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitenurse View Post
Yes there have been months and on certain boards where I am/was the ONLY person keeping them going... LOL

The books I recommend and why: the original The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet (goes into detail well about how Rachael Heller lost her 150 pounds, how they studied 1000 people for 2 years and the info the diet was originally studied off of.

The Carbohydrated Addict's LifeSpan Program (CALP) goes way more into detail for the Reward Meal, how to balance it, and the reasons why they ditched promoting sugar free stuff, talked about "Meal Reduction" options, avoiding MSG, Caffeine, and other insulin triggers.

All their other books jump off these two and don't have any real differences except low fat substitions or vegetarian options. You should be able to find these at your local GoodWill or thrift stores.

The Stress Eating Cure. Has updated info and science about why they changed their WOE and recommended eating carbs for breakfast now. I checked it out from my library.

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 12-03-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 PM   #1589
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am using the Carbohydrate Addict Diet Lifespan Program book. It updates the first book with some more rules for the reward meal that I found helpful. I know people here have also had a lot of luck with the Stress Eating Cure.

My holiday went okay. It wasn't as bad or as good as it could have been.

My dad thought the diet was interesting but spent most of the time telling me the carb counts of things that I couldn't eat: "Well, you can have two of these crackers for only 5 grams of carbs."

Me: "Sigh. That's not how it works, Dad." Rinse, wash, repeat for three days.

We also ate out a lot, so even though I stuck faithfully to the low carb meals, my reward meals were anything but balanced.

Anyway, the damage wasn't too extensive because this morning I was 125.8, only .4 up from my average last week.
I have found it easiest (not perfect because there is NO easy way to explain this WOE for people brainwashed with "standard diet info" to really understand) to just say:

hyperinsulinemia is a medical condition. It is a precursor to diabetes. It has nothing to do with carbs or calories but how well one controls the release of insulin and the frequency one releases insulin. Of course there is more to it than that and it isn't entirely true of an explanation but they might "get it" or at least the hint when you describe it that way.

MIW
Old 12-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #1590
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buddy22
hi everybody!havent started cad yet,but was wondering if anyone has has noticed less acid reflux with this way of eating?
buddy22 is offline   Reply With Quote