Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #1501
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy22 View Post
hi everybody!i have been wanting to try CAD again,but last time I tried,i think I was having trouble staying on it because I have a lot of panic attacks and the worst anxiety.seems the low carb made the anxiety feel worse,like my blood sugar was too low or something.i craved carbs really bad.anyone find that this way of eating helped the adrenaline surges of anxiety and felt better after you stuck with it?
You would be an excellent person to read The Stress Eating Cure by the Heller's and Dr. Daniella Jacobowitz's book The Big Breakfast Diet. Both books talk about the OTHER hormones that cause issues with stress and stress eating like cotisol, adrenaline, and ways to increase seratonin, dopamine, oxytocin. For some of us it is not just about controlling insulin to get rid of cravings and other stress triggers. I know I learned a couple new things out of each book!

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #1502
Major LCF Poster!

Today I am 210.6 lbs!!! I am in the 210's everyone This really works just keep trucking along and don't give up. My weekly avg for the last year is just about 1/4 to 1/2 pound per week loss. That is a great rate to lose! Less saggy skin and stress on the body.

I like Jerri's butter analogy. It is really true! I have lost 97.6 sticks of butter already!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 11-13-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #1503
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADDAD View Post
Hi...I'm Kevin and I'm new here. Hope I'm posting this thread correctly! After many years of experimenting with so many different diets I've decided enough is enough and I know that CAD is what works best for me! Years ago I attended a lecture by Dr Atkins and I'll never forget how he praised CAD by name and told us how he recommended people lose the weight quickly on his diet but then switch to CAD in order to maintain it. He said this was because CAD not only works (although he thought it was 75 minutes for some reason) but that too many people had a hard time staying on Atkins. Anyway I really admired his honesty and thought him and his wife Veronica were lovely people and I was sad to hear about his passing shortly after having had the pleasure of meeting him. He told us that he mentioned the Heller diet by name in his final book. How many diet guru's do that?! I am currently 219 lbs and my goal is to lose 50 lbs through CAD and the treadmill...I've lost 40 lbs in the past with CAD so I KNOW that it works!
Thank you so much for posting! I read your post aloud to a friend visiting who follows Atkin's from time to time who I am sure is sick of hearing me push CAD on her all the time but she does very strict low carb and I keep telling her to just give it a try!!!! You never know it might work. She is in one of her "off" periods eating carbs all the time but I am like you can eat them everyday- just in one meal! LOL

I even kept to my usual routine (I do one RM only and for breakfast) and she saw personally how much I eat in one sitting, truely am not hungry and do not eat the rest of the day and and and TODAY I am my lowest weight of 210.6 lbs and she got to be here for that

MIW
Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #1504
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
You would be an excellent person to read The Stress Eating Cure by the Heller's and Dr. Daniella Jacobowitz's book The Big Breakfast Diet. Both books talk about the OTHER hormones that cause issues with stress and stress eating like cotisol, adrenaline, and ways to increase seratonin, dopamine, oxytocin. For some of us it is not just about controlling insulin to get rid of cravings and other stress triggers. I know I learned a couple new things out of each book!

MIW
Wouldn't let me edit but I wanted to say you need to eat more carbs during your RM so you don't feel like you are missing out the rest of the day and also should be eating more protein/fat and low carb veggies during CM's. Do not skimp. If you are hungry EAT!!!

This diet works on hormones, NOT calories. Also, I am very sensitive to sugar free products and caffeine. Those 2 things are the only ones that make me feel like I am having panic attacks if I ingest. I can ONLY have caffeine during RM or I will pay for it later. I also gain weight even on decaf if I try it outside of RM hour. Maybe you have some sensitivity? If it is really low blood sugar you do need to eat but use protein/fat and low carb veggies to give a steady control of blood sugars otherwise you just will cause a massive surge of insulin to be released and another crash and the viscious cycle continues and you will get hungry, sleepy, cranky, etc. It takes a few days for some but you should adjust then you will feel awesome!

MIW
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #1505
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/109.6/110 as of 08/21/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyvamp View Post
Your so close to goal , you can't expect large losses..I think your doing great
Thanks, Cyvamp. That makes me feel a lot better. And I can't deny that I feel a ton better using this WOE. None of the usual headaches and anxiety I get from other diets I've started, no obsessing about food. I have seen my cravings weirdly disappear.
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #1506
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buddy22
thanks MakeItWork,i appreciate the feedback!i have one of the hellers first books and I remember Rachael saying her anxiety/panic,and high blood pressure disappear with balancing insulin eating this way.i think some of this is meno related,and my dad dying a couple of yrs.ago,i sort of spiraled into massive anxiety daily.bad thing is it also causes my blood pressure to shoot up high,and that makes of course more anxiety especially when the dr. wants to stick you on blood pressure meds!i want to try losing weight and some more conservative approaches first.thanks to for the post on dr.atkins,its pretty awesome to know he also liked CAD!have a great day all!
buddy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #1507
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyvamp
Stats: 171.5/150.6/145
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/7/13 restart 12/16/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMck View Post
Thanks, Cyvamp. That makes me feel a lot better. And I can't deny that I feel a ton better using this WOE. None of the usual headaches and anxiety I get from other diets I've started, no obsessing about food. I have seen my cravings weirdly disappear.
I understand completely. I am not to far off from.my goal weight as well. I don't lose as fast as I would like. I do however love the way I feel and so therefore I care a lot less then I did when I was starving on low cal or being obsessive. I am just relaxing and enjoying life for one. it's the first time since I was a teen and I am over 40
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #1508
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy22 View Post
thanks MakeItWork,i appreciate the feedback!i have one of the hellers first books and I remember Rachael saying her anxiety/panic,and high blood pressure disappear with balancing insulin eating this way.i think some of this is meno related,and my dad dying a couple of yrs.ago,i sort of spiraled into massive anxiety daily.bad thing is it also causes my blood pressure to shoot up high,and that makes of course more anxiety especially when the dr. wants to stick you on blood pressure meds!i want to try losing weight and some more conservative approaches first.thanks to for the post on dr.atkins,its pretty awesome to know he also liked CAD!have a great day all!
Well I know at first I was opposed to trying some of the suggestions in the Stress Eating Cure (SEC) book and the BB diet but now I enjoy waking up hungry and eating right away. It took my body 3 attempts over about a month but now my hormones have adjusted and I enjoy some of the benefits like reduced carb cravings and also less stress response (like anxiety) and I feel calmer all day. It is weird because I never thought I really had issues like that but one of things in the book it asked was about certain cravings and things like if your heart races after eating and I never noticed it but after reading the book I looked for it and sure enough I do get racing heart after eating. Also about certain cravings depending on what type of stress eater you are (there is a test in the book) and I do like spicey things and they give tips on ways to combine certain foods to avoid hormonal responses which I never knew before.

The Big Breakfast diet (BBD) was where a lot of info for the Heller's book came from and was written by an endocrinologist. She talks specifically about why eating carbs and the large meal early supresses cortisol and increase and prolongs seratonin levels throughout the rest of the day and her research heavily influenced the Heller's book. It is very important to get at least 7 ounces (not grams!) of protein with your carb meal to prevent getting cravings and hunger later. I do not follow all the recommendations from BB diet because it is NOT what the Heller's studied in CAD and CALP but I do take what is useful for me and apply it to my current WOE.

MIW
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #1509
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
I think I will stick to one BB a day instead of the cms. I saw your loss MIW and gave me hope. What did you eat yesterday?
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #1510
Major LCF Poster!

Mon and Tues were the same. Monday I ate a bit later from 9am-10am and Tues was 7-8am:

7 ounces ribeye steak

5 Cup mixed green salad with 4 Tbsp regular Hidden Valley ranch dsg

24ounces of fruit smoothie with apple, plum, banana and green grapes and full fat maple syrup yogurt (Cream Top) by Brown Cow

16 ounces ice cream coffee milkshake (after blending) of 3 Cups regular fat Extreme Moosetracks Safeway ice cream, approx. 1 Cup regular half and half and 1 Starbuck's via

4-5 smores cookies

Today (Wed) was 8:30am to 9:30am:
3 eggs

1 ounce cheddar cheese

6 small sweet peppers (red orange yellow for veggies)

2 medium croissants with approx. 4 Tbsp regular cream cheese and 4 ounces of deli turkey meat

16 ounces of leftover fruit smoothie from yesterday

16 ounces ice cream coffee milkshake (same recipe as above)

5 Smores cookies from Safeway's bakery

Definately not low calorie, low fat, low carb and the weight just keeps coming off. Oh yeah, totally full and NOT HUNGRY at all the rest of the day!!!

MIW
Old 11-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #1511
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 306.6/305/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
I certainly come and go a lot!! LOL! That is because I have never really made this a way of life. I start - get hope - and then don't keep it up!! I'm starting again tomorrow. I got my groceries today for ease of fixing CM meals. I'm going to add the CM snack to my day from the start (in the past I just sort of added the CM snack when REALLY hungry, but I think I will go ahead and plan for it, at least at the beginning of my new journey).

I was watching the Biggest Loser, and I just hate it when they frown upon a 5 pound weight loss!!! So ridiculous!!!

I really want to become a CAD success story! A couple of different times, I've lost 20-25 pounds on CAD. I need to stick with it forever!! And it's a reasonable plan to do just that!

Cheers to everyone!!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #1512
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: buddy22
I get that heart racing feeling too after eating.sometimes palps too.cant tell if its the anxiety or what I ate.id really like to do the reward meal at supper,since it works best with my lifestyle.i hope the morning cortisol will still level off eating that way.maybe just by lowering the insulin it will help,i hope!im so hopeful to hear that your anxiety is less on cad.getting that under control and lowering my blood pressure would send me over the moon!
buddy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:26 AM   #1513
Major LCF Poster!

Having my one meal a day a little later these days but am going back to early BB rm tomorrow after my run. I like eating one meal a day and my body is used to this.
Old 11-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #1514
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Trying to get back on track. Coconut oil in my coffee this morning. I like it, if I remember it.......

So far today, has gone well. Will see what scale says tomorrow.
Awards banquet for Palomino Assn (horses) tomorrow. DD won a saddle, so going for barbecue. Probably skip BF so I don't worry about eating a big lunch. Then behave for supper......
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #1515
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KatMck
Stats: 5'1" 150+/109.6/110 as of 08/21/2014
WOE: CAD/CALP maintenance since March 2014
Congrats on making it to 210, MIW! Cyvamp, I am 30 and I know what you mean. Ever since I hit age 27, diet has become much more of a struggle for me. Of course, that could have something to do with getting married at that time! My husband is on the CAD plan as well and is losing so much faster than me it makes me boil. Then again, he has more to lose and he's a man, so it seems like the weight just slips right off of him when he barely tries!

Down from an average of 128.6 last week to 128.3 this week. Excruciating, but I finally saw 127 again this morning--and even better, it was 127.0. Fingers crossed that I'm finally through with 129 on the scale!
KatMck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 09:14 AM   #1516
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks! Today I was 210.8 lbs so the second one this week and the rest in the 211's. I swear it is really starting to fly off now and I have been eating more than ever! Lol

MIW
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #1517
Major LCF Poster!

I am not going in to much details but I audited my last few BB RM's and they are in the 3050-3680 calorie range and I am losing faster than I have in many months and lowest weight and new lows are happening WEEKLY now. I highly recommend everyone go read The Stress Eating Cure by the Hellers and The Big Breakfast Diet by Dr. Daniella Jacobowitz! I am a solid 8 weeks in and can totally see what the buzz was about and tha the BBD having some people do a 3000 calorie version and lose on it was no bull. The max I was eating prior to this over a year ago doing the SAD was maybe 1500- 2000 calories a day. I am not anymore active than the past. Ihave as much muscle definition as when I was working with a professional trainer at their home (not a gym trainer but the real deal). I am just too much of anopen book to not share. I have been very objective and giving this a try for 8 weeks now and I am losing faster and have been slowly increasing calories and it still is working!!!! This is crazy even to me. Twice this week I have been in the 210's. I thought business as usual until oriana asked me about the calories and I did an actual double take!

MIW
Old 11-18-2013, 04:03 AM   #1518
Senior LCF Member

I am down .6 this week, and thats with a weekly average of 2000 calories. I cant complain about that one bit I have lost 10lbs over the last year, and 3 lbs on Cad in 6 weeks..I gotta say, Cad makes it so much more enjoyable lol

Last edited by Cyvamp; 11-18-2013 at 04:11 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #1519
Major LCF Poster!

I had my rm later than for my usual breakfast . I had it at 2:30 and was 108.5. This morning I was 107!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #1520
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Trying to get back on track. Coconut oil in my coffee this morning. I like it, if I remember it.............
My plan is to have bacon for BF every morning. Then 1 coffee with coconut oil at work. Then lunch is whatever is available. Then supper salad with meat and cheese.

I am going to do this for 1 week and see if I can get back on track. Scale yesterday morning was 193. This morning 194 with salt from last nights bacon. I am going also going to be jogging at least 10 minutes per day. I am going to post my days, only to keep me honest and motivated, not to bore you poor people.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #1521
Major LCF Poster!

Cvamp have you done the low calorie diets before? Isn't it freeing to be able to eat a lot of calories?
Old 11-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #1522
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
Cvamp have you done the low calorie diets before? Isn't it freeing to be able to eat a lot of calories?

I have done just about everything to be honest, and I always did well till I hit 40, now its such a struggle. I did low carb..lost and maintained almost 3 years. I did WW, starved on that but lost and maintained down to a size 4..for another 3 years. The last two years have been exercising 45 mins minimum a day and eat no more than 1500 calories..1500 was my high, my average was 1280...I still wasn't losing. To be honest I am not even balancing my meals at the moment, just eating till I am full for that hour..last night was shepards pie, lots of broccoli, a ginger cupcake, a few almonds and a piece of dark chocolate, I had a huge salad for lunch and an omlette for breakfast..calories..1700, and I wasn't able to fit exercise in at all this weekend. Fri and Sat 2000, and 2200 calories.

Last edited by Cyvamp; 11-18-2013 at 05:24 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #1523
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alliejon
Stats: 306.6/305/145
WOE: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
I have vowed to stay off the scale until January 1st and just focus on eating better. The decision makes me feel good, because I know I will stay on the CAD plan better if I take the scale numbers out of the equation (at least for now).

Today's menu:
CM: Eggs and cheese
CM: Brussel sprouts and steak
CM snack: Cauliflower and cheese
RM: Not sure yet - but whatever I'm in the mood for

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Last edited by alliejon; 11-18-2013 at 06:28 AM..
alliejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:50 AM   #1524
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
My plan is to have bacon for BF every morning. Then 1 coffee with coconut oil at work. Then lunch is whatever is available. Then supper salad with meat and cheese.

I am going to do this for 1 week and see if I can get back on track. Scale yesterday morning was 193. This morning 194 with salt from last nights bacon. I am going also going to be jogging at least 10 minutes per day. I am going to post my days, only to keep me honest and motivated, not to bore you poor people.
No you come here 3 times a day to post if needed! Lol I get bored by the lack of posts- not by too many! Good luck and sounds like you got a good menu and game plan. I like your meal arrangements. Have you seen the threads by the "meggers"? They do meat and egg fasts!!!! I could not imagine ever giving up my carbs not after the stellar year of training my metabolism to eat more and more and still lose!

MIW
Old 11-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #1525
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have done just about everything to be honest, and I always did well till I hit 40, now its such a struggle. I did low carb..lost and maintained almost 3 years. I did WW, starved on that but lost and maintained down to a size 4..for another 3 years. The last two years have been exercising 45 mins minimum a day and eat no more than 1500 calories..1500 was my high, my average was 1280...I still wasn't losing. To be honest I am not even balancing my meals at the moment, just eating till I am full for that hour..last night was shepards pie, lots of broccoli, a ginger cupcake, a few almonds and a piece of dark chocolate, I had a huge salad for lunch and an omlette for breakfast..calories..1700, and I wasn't able to fit exercise in at all this weekend. Fri and Sat 2000, and 2200 calories.
I swear to you just keep at it. Your metabolism will learn to burn off even more as time goes on. Did you see my post where I found out I was eating 3000+ last week and was at my lowest weight too? It defies logic but I can see just the few rules of one hour, 7oz of protein, no other carbs or insulin triggers for the rest of the day and I can eat crazy amounts and still lose!!! I found out a long time ago I didnt need the balance and could eat much more fruits, veggies, AND carbs compared to the protein and still lose. Slow but steady and no hunger either. This is great!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 11-18-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Old 11-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #1526
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliejon View Post
I have vowed to stay off the scale until January 1st and just focus on eating better. The decision makes me feel good, because I know I will stay on the CAD plan better if I take the scale numbers out of the equation (at least for now).

Today's menu:
CM: Eggs and cheese
CM: Brussel sprouts and steak
CM snack: Cauliflower and cheese
RM: Not sure yet - but whatever I'm in the mood for

Hope everyone is having a great day!
No matter what you do on the scale as long as you keep your carbs to the hour you will lose! Do your measurements now too to get a starting point then receck in January. You will be tickled more on those than the scale because I am telling you now you are going to be building muscle too.

MIW
Old 11-18-2013, 09:28 AM   #1527
Senior LCF Member

MIW I find I can eat 3000 calories and not gain, but I don't lose. I am very satisfied with around 1800-2000..quite stuffed and having dessert too
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #1528
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
No matter what you do on the scale as long as you keep your carbs to the hour you will lose! Do your measurements now too to get a starting point then receck in January. You will be tickled more on those than the scale because I am telling you now you are going to be building muscle too.

MIW
I agree, my scale is moving at a snails pace and yet people are constantly remarking about my weight loss..over 3lbs? lol. My pants are loose and my collar bones are starting to show...again..over 3lbs? its magic lol
Old 11-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #1529
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I agree, my scale is moving at a snails pace and yet people are constantly remarking about my weight loss..over 3lbs? lol. My pants are loose and my collar bones are starting to show...again..over 3lbs? its magic lol
Ya I know! My ring is as loose as ever, bras getting too saggy and biceps bulging! Almost 25 pounds lost but seems more like 40!

MIW
Old 11-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #1530
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
No you come here 3 times a day to post if needed! Lol I get bored by the lack of posts- not by too many! Good luck and sounds like you got a good menu and game plan. I like your meal arrangements. Have you seen the threads by the "meggers"? They do meat and egg fasts!!!! I could not imagine ever giving up my carbs not after the stellar year of training my metabolism to eat more and more and still lose!

MIW
I have been trying low carb in some form or another since 2006. I can only eat so many eggs, and haven't found any "new" ways of fixing them.
Omelets or scrambled only go so far

So far today, I am on track to meet the daily goals. Still need to jog for few minutes and spinach salad for supper. DH will have to survive on leftover potato soup...... Just going to get ice water for the afternoon now.