Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #1351
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cyvamp
Stats: 171.5/150.6/145
WOE: WW
Start Date: 10/7/13 restart 12/16/13
Keenen wont eat the ends of hot dogs or bananas lol..He would never do school lunch, I would love it if he did..oh and he loves pepperoni pizza..but the pepperoni has to be removed after baking. Strawberry yogurt and ice cream..no visible fruit...lord help me lol
Cyvamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #1352
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyvamp View Post
Keenen wont eat the ends of hot dogs or bananas lol..He would never do school lunch, I would love it if he did..oh and he loves pepperoni pizza..but the pepperoni has to be removed after baking. Strawberry yogurt and ice cream..no visible fruit...lord help me lol
Yes my son is his food twin! LOL He loves pepperoni pizza but then has to scrape it all off. I think it must infuse the crust with some flavor but he doesn't actually like the pepperoni itself. Well that is definitely an autistic trait.

Have you ever analyzed yourself or your husband, extended family? My father was a member of Mensa, and is very socially akward. He loves to people watch and join groups but just to be a part of a larger group but doesn't have any real close friends, etc. Once he divorced my mom he never remarried. He can draw or sculpt or carve ANYTHING into an exact likeness, is a math genius, is a master carpenter and can do any electric, plumbing, cabinetry, worked on yachts for millionaires, on and on but has always been a drifter-hippy type. My dad is not autistic but has a lot of "quirks."

I am super talkative and get off on tangents and OCD myself on somethings but again- not autistic. I just think there has to be the perfect storm of personality quirks and genetics to produce an autistic person and have read how it can run in families. Just wondering if you have that type of stuff or not? I have never been shy but it has taken me almost 40 years to learn to quit saying whatever is on my mind and putting my foot in my mouth all the time and I think that is one of those oddities too that is more like concrete thinking that autistic people can have.

I never was a genius or anything and in fact am a high-school drop out but started college at 17 years old and just studied a GED book for a week and took the test. I would just show up to class and listen to lectures and pass tests. I never hardly cracked a text book. Nursing school came very natural to me and I started out in ICU and was hired before I even had my nursing license! LOL I do think there are some traits that can be helpful if people have the drive and ability to overcome some of the debilitations. I hope my son becomes like that some day.

My husband and I had to do hours and hours of our own testing on ourselves and each other for the University of Washington for the study they did of our son and they took blood tests from all of us that is now in a world-wide database for autism but they never came back and told either myself or my husband that we had any issues either. I think once people start peeling back the layers they can see that we all have autistic traits to some degree but the difference is if someone is debilitated by it or not...

MIW
Old 10-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #1353
Senior LCF Member

Oh yes, my husband is what I call "anal", everything has a place, he needs to put his things in the same place or he will forget them. He is very smart as well, I on the other hand have a zillion "isms", I cannot deal with crowds, I literally turn off, my husband had to lead me from a mall a xmas once because I just was overwhelmed. I have to eat with plastic silverware, and my whole family does as well, if we are out, I will use the fork but it cant touch my lips. If someone makes noise while chewing I have to get away, I feel heat come to my skin, like some red anger or something. I cannot sleep with out a fan, but if the fan doesnt make the right noise I need another...thats just a few lol
Old 10-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #1354
Major LCF Poster!

I am the Queen of not seeing things right in front of my face at the grocery store. I get overwhelmed by all the cans on the shelf and can't pick out what I am looking for. It took me years to get over not being able to eat leftovers. I had to finally rationalize I was being rediculous about it and now I can but I used to have such an aversion to them. That and green bell peppers. For some reason even the smell drove me nuts as a kid. Now I can eat them but again took me to make myself do it. I am like the princess and the pea when I sleep and cannot have the sheets messed up, have to have a million pillows "just so" etc etc. If my sock is not on right it will drive me nuts and I will pull over to the side of the road to fix it! LOL I also have a place for everything and everything in it's place and I go nuts when my husband doens't put the scissors back in their spot, the hammer in the tool drawer, etc. If it is not there it drives me nuts. I don't mind crowds other than I hate waiting in line for things or the hustle bustle but I hate big cities and think they are pits! LOL I always get anxiety going to Seattle even though when I am there I am fine. I just don't like all the buildings towering around and all the people everywhere. I love the country and small town living!!!

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #1355
Senior LCF Member

I wish we were neighbors, I have a feeling we would get along great lol. I am the same way with sheets and socks, I also have to vacuum every day, a fluff ball or lint will drive me nuts, I have to pick it up, or off the kids clothing etc
Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #1356
Major LCF Poster!

Your screen pic reminds me of me when I was about 17. I have naturally dark hair and it is long and straight also. My screen pic is from a few years back when it was dyed blonde. I have a picture similar to your's hanging in my dad's house when I was 17 only I had a silver loop nose ring! LOL You'd laugh if you saw it because I looked similar to you only punked out! Hehehehe

MIW
Old 10-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #1357
Major LCF Poster!

I love the picture in my screen pic. That is my "mermaid" pose when we were at Cannon Beach in Oregon and I am wearing my Versace sunglasses. I don't pull those out much because they are super expensive and bought them back when we were DINKs and I could take the time to wear contacts.

MIW
Old 10-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #1358
Senior LCF Member

I am about as plain Jane as they come lol. I thought about the eyebrow ring but figured I would never pull it off. I am to frugal to buy anything expensive, I buy my clothes at the thrift store most of the time lol,. I have no problem buying the rest of the family new stuff
Old 10-23-2013, 01:00 PM   #1359
Major LCF Poster!

Ya well I had my nose pierced one time on a trip to Oregon to visit a friend and had it in about 8 months. Had to take it out for an hour for a job interview and it hurt so bad trying to get it back in that I just let it heal back shut. I still have 11 piercings on my ears but usually now only wear the regular lowest lobe one since I am older and a "professional." And my husband is 8 years older than me so he was not really a Gen-Xer to the same degree I was, LOL

MIW
Old 10-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #1360
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of which, you ever see Portlandia? It is on Netflix now too and the very first episode where they are all singing and dancing about being in the 1990's "The Dream of the 90's is Alive in Portland." It is sooo funny. You can see it on Youtube also. It is so true!

MIW
Old 10-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #1361
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeitwork View Post
Speaking of which, you ever see Portlandia? It is on Netflix now too and the very first episode where they are all singing and dancing about being in the 1990's "The Dream of the 90's is Alive in Portland." It is sooo funny. You can see it on Youtube also. It is so true!

MIW
I havent. I will have to check it out
Old 10-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #1362
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
In Marion's book, Eat and Be Happy, he is also a breakfast only advocate. He even says if you want to eat a whole pizza and pint of ice cream for breakfast, do it. He also says that you should NEVER eat dinner at night. He goes into detail about gravity and shows pictures of your body's organs when you are in a flat position sleeping and how the food can go back up the esophagus because of gravity. It makes sense. If you go upside down after eating the food starts coming up. He also says if you do eat at night to prop your head up with pillows so as to allow gravity to do it's work. I myself can't sleep well on my free day and I eat a dinner that one day a week but it sure is fun.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:00 AM   #1363
Senior LCF Member

I cheated last night...I dont know why, I wasnt hungry, I just caved and had crackers with a movie.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #1364
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: senorpepino
Stats: 263/237/200
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
It could be food sensitivity or just plain eating too much. It is normal to burp after eating if you swallowed a bunch of air, used a straw or ate too much (indigestion). As to the release of insulin by re-tasting???? Who knows. Could be. I bet I release insulin when I brush my teeth at night! LOL The main thing is if you are getting pain or loss of sleep from it. If so, eat earlier in the day to give yourself time to digest it before you lay down.

One time I had pineapple with dinner and it actually woke me up that night because I could feel the burn and acid coming up all the way to the back of my throat. That is like GERD or gastric esophageal reflux disorder! I NEVER had that ever in my life except for twice during pregnancies. My first thought was that I was eating too much at dinner but then I had to think about what I may have eaten that was different and it was the pineapple. Never has happened any other time when I have eaten pineapple (which is very rare anyways) or since. I also found out after eating Jiffy peanut butter twice that I got severe headaches and I NEVER had that one either in all the years of eating Jiffy peanut butter until I switched to CAD so you can notice food sensitivities MORE now with this WOE than the SAD (standard american diet) because of the hormones not being as out of whack.

Not sure if this answers but basically don't worry unless it becomes a daily issue then you have got to change something.

MIW
It's not an issue. I have been losing weight this week, so it looks like I'm out of my stall. Was worrying that the fullness after meals was possibly the cause of the stall. It's looking more and more like my body adjusting to the diet after the initial weight loss and now it's ready to go into losing mode again.
senorpepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:38 AM   #1365
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senorpepino View Post
It's not an issue. I have been losing weight this week, so it looks like I'm out of my stall. Was worrying that the fullness after meals was possibly the cause of the stall. It's looking more and more like my body adjusting to the diet after the initial weight loss and now it's ready to go into losing mode again.
Are you doing daily wts with weekly averages? Keep it up. You will see it is slow but does come off. Are you hungry or feel miserable with thie WOE? One thing I love is not just the weight loss but being abe to actually eat and not being hungry!

MIW
Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #1366
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I cheated last night...I dont know why, I wasnt hungry, I just caved and had crackers with a movie.
Hey it happens! Don't worry, this WOE is very forgiving and flexible. Just do better tomorrow. I keep telling my husband you have to look at number one that you have a metabolic disorder. Not a full-blown disease but our metabolism is out of whack and can lead to some serious issues.

This WOE is not a cure. There is no cure for insulin resistance or hyperinsulinemia. BUT, you can CONTROL it and use it to your advantage by eating carbs only once a day, confine them to the hour, and then the other 23 hours avoid insulin triggers as much as possible.

I think you need to really try to eat more at your RM, and more carbs. Period. I hate to be the one clanging the bell constantly for MORE eating but this is the issue with the "diet mentality" is that people convince themselves they need to be eating low calorie and feeling miserable or they are just not on a diet. IT IS NOT TRUE! I am not saying go up to 2000 calories a day but I don't think any calorie calculator would put someone your age/height on 1300 calories a day. I say find out what your true metabolic calorie needs are, and eat that. Don't even cut out what the "standard" diet folks say you need in order to lose weight. I am living proof that I can eat at my supposed caloric need basil rate or even more and STILL lose weight. I am losing said weight because I am not pumping out insulin like an oil line any longer and constantly storing fat NOR am I constantly hungry.

Some of it will be habit so please do not beat up on yourself. I cheated 10 days on this WOE in the last year and I did so each time fully consciously. A few times was actually to see how it would affect the scale and my cravings. I saw that it can take up to 2 days for "no-no" meals to show up on the scale so not even the next day is always a marker.

Anyways, good job for owning it and moving forward! Keep up the good work.

MIW
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #1367
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: senorpepino
Stats: 263/237/200
WOE: CAD/CALP
Start Date: August 2013
Quote:
Are you doing daily wts with weekly averages? Keep it up. You will see it is slow but does come off. Are you hungry or feel miserable with thie WOE? One thing I love is not just the weight loss but being abe to actually eat and not being hungry!

MIW
Yes, weighing every day right after I wake up. I'm not hungry at all during the day. I skip lunch during the week. Eat three meals during the weekend so that my girlfriend will continue to support this WOE lol.
senorpepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:29 AM   #1368
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Just checking in. Had ice cream instead of cookies with my RM breakfast today. Hoping that will keep my blood sugar more stable, because yesterday I got shaky and anxious later on.

See you all tomorrow!
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #1369
Senior LCF Member

Thanks MIW, I do feel somedays I am not eating enough, I work out for an hour a day, I have starved for the last year on low cal, and I can't stand the over stuffed feeling, I feel like I cant breath. I felt like I ate plenty this morning, but calorie wise ended up being only 200. I had two boiled eggs and some stuffed celery. I just burned twice that on the treadmill, maybe I should up the fat? Make, egg salad, or chicken salad or something
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #1370
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Thanks MIW, I do feel somedays I am not eating enough, I work out for an hour a day, I have starved for the last year on low cal, and I can't stand the over stuffed feeling, I feel like I cant breath. I felt like I ate plenty this morning, but calorie wise ended up being only 200. I had two boiled eggs and some stuffed celery. I just burned twice that on the treadmill, maybe I should up the fat? Make, egg salad, or chicken salad or something
Well you are going to have to do something because eating only that amount then exercising that much is a recipe for disaster! It is not sustainable and no wonder you are getting hungry again later enough to eat more carbs.

First figure out what your "basil" calorie rate "should be." That is based off age/weight/sex. For me depending on the source I need to be eating 1800-2300 calories a day. That is just to maintain my current weight (supposedly). Remember that is for people who eat those calories however they want. If you exercise you could technically eat more, but if you do that will be your calorie deficit to lose weight faster. However, eating according to CAD/CALP I am telling you that you will still lose weight even eating at your basil rate or even more. Trust me I have seen it for myself.

On CAD, you can eat up to 4 times a day. You do not have to do the meal reduction options or intermittent fasting like what I do or how Rachael Heller did to lose weight. Take your daily basil rate and divide it by 4 and eat at least that amount at each meal if you don't like to eat too much.

You will get used to it. Your body will adjust and trust me the human stomach is designed to expand and shrink depending on food consumption and humans can eat huge quantities safely. Just don't do anything you are not comfortable with but 1300 calories a day even if you are laying on the couch watching TV all day long is too low!!!

Some people actually get a metabolic boost by eating MORE and can burn fat faster. You need to forget about classic diet advice with extreme calorie reduction. All that does is burn skeletal muscle and makes your body percentage FATTER!!!! There is such a thing as skinny-fat and that is not what eating high protein and for insulin resistance does.

Honestly, if you ate your carbs and larger meal earlier, and still did 2 CM's and even a snack later you would not feel hungry and within a few days would love it! There will be some hormone adjustments that need to sort out in 1-3 days but that is all it takes. Then you will not get hungry, your active lifestyle will benefit from the larger meal earlier anyways. This is not my opinion but FACT that was studied by both the Heller's with PHD's and Dr. Jacobowitz who is an MD. There are other's also but these 2 gathered the other data and actually did large scientfic non-quackery studies on it to show it is true for most people.

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 10-24-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #1371
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here is another source you might get a kick out of. It is Dr. Attia. He is a younger surgeon (MD) who has hyperinsulinemia and his website is called eatingacademy. Google it. He has a lot of info on eating for insulin resistance and talks about his struggles with weight loss. He always had 30 pounds to lose that he could not shed and he was a triathelete! He did crazy amounts of exercise and diet and could not lose weight until he switched and went to high fat. He has a smokin' bod and I love it that he is an MD and into eating this way because for so many years Dr. Atkins was persecuted and he was a freakin' cardiologist for crying out loud!

You can see that I put togehter a lot of various sources for my own personal plan and knowledge base. I always say don't believe me? Then believe the DOCTORS!!! because that is what some people need in order to feel "safe" about trying something knew. Most classic low fat low calorie diet advice has only made the western world fatter and sicker and that is a FACT.

MIW
Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #1372
Senior LCF Member

I have his site bookmarked so I can take a good solid look at it this afternoon. Thanks

The 1300 is my net, I actually eat 17-1800 a day average. I looked up my Bmr to maintain my weight, its 1874, so adding my 400 average burned, that gets me to 2274, minus 500 for one pound a week weight loss leaves me at 1774. So I should try to aim for that?

1874 minus the 500..does leave me at around 1375 a day...not including my exercise..seems like 1300 wasn't to far off

Last edited by Cyvamp; 10-24-2013 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #1373
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I have his site bookmarked so I can take a good solid look at it this afternoon. Thanks

The 1300 is my net, I actually eat 17-1800 a day average. I looked up my Bmr to maintain my weight, its 1874, so adding my 400 average burned, that gets me to 2274, minus 500 for one pound a week weight loss leaves me at 1774. So I should try to aim for that?
Yes that sounds perfectly reasonable! Just make it easy and round up to 1800 and divide by 4 for each meal if you feel better about eating more frequently. Either way just don't drop beneath that, especially with exercising.

MIW
Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #1374
Senior LCF Member

I will give it a shot. I just ate a double chicken chopped salad from subway, I brought it home and added my own dressing, I could pop. I have a new goal of eating a lot more raw veges, I tend to kill them when I cook them, I like them mushy or raw, not a lot in between. I am going to start adding more fats to my CM's as well. I know how to cut the hell out of a calorie, having to up them is new lol
Old 10-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #1375
Senior LCF Member

My husband always says I throw weird foods together for myself, tonight was

a raw fennel salad with olive oil and balsamic(never had fennel before)
Chicken breast with sour cream and chive cream cheese on top, topped with alfalfa sprouts
green and yellow beans
whole wheat penne with chopped clams and parm cheese
5 dark hersey kisses

Ya, I guess its kinda weird, but it was delish
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #1376
Major LCF Poster!

This is from Enomarb on the Hour Power #5 thread. She has been doing CALP now for over 10 years. Pattyann remembers her from back 10 years ago so I am not making this up. She actually overshot her goal and had to start eating more. She treated this WOE as a lifelong eating plan and not a fad or crash gimmicky diet and continues to this day. She also talks about having a long stall then all of a sudden losing again so it does happen and you have to be patient. Hope you all enjoy this

hi-
MiW, here is the story.
Once I started CALP I felt so good that the weight loss was like an bonus!
SO I lost from 180 (or 185- not sure!)- to 150 by 12/03, so within 5 months. Then I stopped losing. Just kept chugging on CALP- eating the same- because I felt so good. Didn't think of it as a stall - just figured that was that. I found this site in December 2003 and posted the 150 as GOAL as I didn't ever have a goal.Then that spring started losing again. When I hit 125 I decided that I wanted to be able to maintain, so I started increasing my carbs at RM to slow and then stop my weight loss.
That's the story-
E

MIW
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #1377
Senior LCF Member

I cant imagine hitting goal at this point, I have struggled for 8 years to lose weight. If adding a few carbs helps maintain, I wonder if when we dont eat balanced, if we dont lose
Old 10-24-2013, 05:16 PM   #1378
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I cant imagine hitting goal at this point, I have struggled for 8 years to lose weight. If adding a few carbs helps maintain, I wonder if when we dont eat balanced, if we dont lose
Personally I think the body will try to keep as much weight on as possible and that is why switching things up a bit from time to time seems to boost weight loss and break people out of plateaus.

I know Enomarb is VERY staunch on following CALP as written and keeping balanced. She does not eat one iota the same as I do. But we both are very similar in the hour rule, not eating carbs outside of RM. However on a recent vacay where she did a lot of hiking she did eat carbs several times a day and still managed to lose weight on that trip!

I think where people "won't" lose, at least over time of more than a few months is if they are grazing or eating insulin triggers without their knowledge or at least be willing to accept the idea that they are doing something outside of their RM that is the culprit. I have seen that a lot in the last year on the various forums where people "pop-in" to this WOE for a couple weeks, say they stopped losing weight, won't post their menus or what their CM's are or say "well I was losing at first eating this same stuff" and won't see that maybe they lost weight "at first" because of the change to higher protein and also most likely lesser calories but then the body adjusts and they are now no longer losing or even sometimes start to regain because there is MSG, sugar, sugar free stuff, etc etc. I am a very firm believer that is it the 23 other hours of the day where the issue lies and NOT the one hour RM.

MIW
Old 10-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #1379
Senior LCF Member

I would agree with all you said. I federally don't have an issue staying low carb during my two meals. I am not sure what happened the other night...well no...I do. I was stressed and I need to learn how to cope in a different way..not with food.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #1380
Senior LCF Member

Does anyone take the GTF chromium, is it helpful?