Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #811
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue0
Book

In your post, you mentioned getting a book. I found an old one from 1991. Is there a new one and what is the name?
Sue0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #812
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jenmay78
Stats: 284.6/236.6/199
WOE: Weight loss surgery/JUDDD
Start Date: June 10, 2013
Hello everyone! I am intrigued by this WOE. I've been lurking for a while and now going full in. When do you have your RM's? Typically?? I would love to hear your experiences.
Jenmay78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #813
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue0 View Post
In your post, you mentioned getting a book. I found an old one from 1991. Is there a new one and what is the name?
The newer books are The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program (or CALP) which goes a lot more into the balance that the RM's should have, as well as "options" and things you can try to speed up weight loss such as avoiding MSG, Caffeine, taking Glucose Tolerance Factor Chromium, skipping CM's, exercise.

The Heller's most "recent" book is over 10 years old now and is called The Stress Eating Cure (or SEC) and it doesn't mention following a one hour RM time limit anymore, and basically advocates eating your RM first thing in the morning (or at least your carbs for the day), it does not have to be balanced or even have veggies, and that you then have the other protein/veggie meals (which would be CM's per the other books) later in the day. They discuss lots of other hormonal factors such as leptin, adrenaline, dopamin, ghrelin, oxytocin, etc and not just focus on insulin which is what CAD and CALP do.

I highly recommend going to amazon and reading the reviews for all of the Heller's books. There are 100's for both cad and calp and not as many for SEC but it will give you a good idea of all the folks these books have helped.

I personally have played with all the ways you can do CAD/CALP/SEC as well as how Rachael Heller lost weight (which was not by following any of their diets!!!) but by only eating one time a day. It is extreme intermittent fasting. I doubt anyone knows if the Heller's still even follow ANY of their eating regimens any more. You just have to find what works for you. I found eating carbs daily helps me, and I am losing weight no matter which way I follow. I have to eat for and insulin resistant metabolism and all the diet plans for IR that I have followed work. The best for me have been CAD/CALP/SEC or eating my meal in one hour. I cannot do atkin's or low carb. Those do not mandate that you confine your daily carbs to one time a day. Those you can eat all day long (graze) and space out your carbs. That woe does not work well for me. I like combining IF with CAD as it really helps to control hunger for me.

MIW
Old 06-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #814
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sue0
Thanks I bought CALP and am just starting. Easy to read and follow. Can't wait to see the results. Already cravings have gone away.
Sue0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 06:11 AM   #815
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Thanks I bought CALP and am just starting. Easy to read and follow. Can't wait to see the results. Already cravings have gone away.
Good for you. I have gotten mine back out for refresher. Then I currently having a little trouble sticking to the plan. It works, but I just keep finding excuses to not eat what I should to stay on plan.

Food as a reward (or relaxation)is a very tough mental block to get over.
iakaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #816
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all. I am in a plateau (again) and even going up/down same couple of pounds day after day. Haven't seen that low of 213 that I had a bit over a month ago but I know I can get there! I haven't changed anything accept bouncing around RM times a bit erradically and worked my butt of the other day to the point where I was starving by dinner time so I had a CM later in the day so that could be part of the higher weight- plus it was salty. I will power through this as always!

MIW
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #817
Big Yapper!!!!

Hopefully readjusting. Scale isn't moving, but I haven't been starving all day today. I have been hungry for the last 3 days......
Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 PM   #818
Major LCF Poster!

Started my TOM so that could be part of my recent weight gain/plateau. I had to go back and count the calendar since it seemed like it came quicker than usual but only 27 days so that is in the normal range. Still chugging along and eating awesome!

Today's RM eaten between 11-12. I call it the Large Lunch diet! LOL

5 C salad of romaine lettuce
4 TBSP Hidden Valley Ranch dsg
1 C ground beef crumbles
1 large chicken breast
small egg salad sandwich
1 C hash browns
1 C strawberries
1 Hershey's bar
Large iced caramel mocha with whole milk (about 1 oz chocolate syrup, 2 ounce caramel sauce, 6 ounces whole milk)

This isn't necessarily a meal I would have planned, just a lot of left overs, and stuff the kids wanted then didn't eat and I hate to see it go to waste. I could have easily skipped half of this but when I break down the calories and don't really feel like eating other meals I do get worried about limiting calories so I do kind of push the envelope a bit to get my range of 1800-2600 calories in each day.

MIW
Old 06-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #819
Major LCF Poster!

Too hot today! Up to 90 degrees and fairly humid to boot.

Went to a potluck BBQ with some people I grew up with. Was nice to see us all grown and our own kids running around.

RM only day from 3-4pm:

1 hotdog with bun, ketchup
1/2 can strawberry soda
2 small choc chip cookies
1 C mixed raw vegies
1 C canned beans, green beans (vinagery type- not sure what it is called)
1 C "ambrosia" (cool whip, cottage cheese, strawberry jello powder packet, frozen triple berry mix)
1 C pasta salad
2 pc of Chicken spinach bake

MIW
Old 06-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #820
Major LCF Poster!

Well, only up a tenth of a pound for my weekly avg and being on TOM not too shabby. Blech however to being 5 weeks ago I saw 213 and still not back near it. I looked back through all my daily wts and see that it is just how it goes. You will see a "new low" and then have to wait a month or more before that weight becomes your weekly avg and so the trend goes. I am hoping maybe sometime next week to see 213-215 DAILY and NO MORE 216-217!!!!

Week 30- 215.4 214.8 213 213.6 215 218.5 215.1 (215.1) -0.8

Week 31- 214 216.2 215.4 214.8 214.4 214.8 215.8 (215.06) -0.04

Week 32- 217 216.6 216.2 216.6 216.6 216.2 217.4 (216.7) +1.6

Week 33- 216 214.4 215.6 216.2 216.2 X 215.4 (215.6) -1.1

Week 34- 215.6 216.2 214.8 216.2 215.2 214.8 216.4 (215.6) -0

Week 35- 217 X 215.8 215.8 216 215 214.6 (215.7) +0.1

MIW
Old 07-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #821
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Drea111
Stats: 299
WOE: Carbohydrate addict diet
Start Date: 07/03/2013
New to this site

Hello all...I came across this site while researching the carbohydrate addict diet. I did CAD about 14 years ago, I had about 20 lbs to loose and lost 15 in six weeks. Back then I thought that took to long and started something else, I was in my twenties and was active. Now I am 40 and 100lbs later decided to try it again. I realize how silly I was to think 6 weeks to loose 15lbs was a lot. The diet did work and was easy to follow.

I have become a binge eater and I am very much out of control. I start diets everyday only to binge after 1 or 2 days. I can't live this way anymore. My way of thinking now for years has been "I will get back on track tomorrow", so I felt I would have to eat everything in site today. I am now 130lbs overweight and hate it. I am praying that going back to the CAD will help me control my binges knowing that tomorrow is a new day, and that I can have a new treat at my next reward meal. I don't have to eat everything in one day thinking a diet will restrict me of those foods like pasta and sweets.

Thinking back 14 years ago, I do remember that you can't overload on cheese with the CM's and don't go nuts on the reward meal. Balance the plate with a vegetable.

I pray this works this time, not only for weight loss but to help me with my binge eating. I scare myself with what I can eat and now with all this extra weight I am carrying I feel it in my knees and back. My stomach is in the way of everything, it's a chore to get off my couch.

I am so happy to have found this page and look forward to communicating with others. I wish everyone success and would love to hear your stories.
Drea111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #822
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Drea111
Stats: 299
WOE: Carbohydrate addict diet
Start Date: 07/03/2013
Carbohydrate addict book

Quote:
I bought the Carbohydrate addict book by Richard and Rachel Heller on Amazon, 1991 sounds about right. Good luck to you!!
Drea111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #823
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drea111 View Post
I bought the Carbohydrate addict book by Richard and Rachel Heller on Amazon, 1991 sounds about right. Good luck to you!!
Drea111 I totally commend you for realizing you have issues and that you want to find a WOE lifestyle that will help you and get you healthier! You definately sound to me like you have carb addiction. I recommend you read the updated Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program as well as The Stress Eating Cure. The Heller's did additional research beyond insulin and into the other hormones (and feelings) that cause one to overeat and reach for certain foods.

I have found for me that any diet will work, but as you nailed on the head it is for how long one stays on it is the key. I would say 99.99999% of all diets are not designed for life. The beauty of the Heller's various plans is that it is something that can be done anywhere, with any food, anytime! Most diets with few exceptions are fads, gimmicky, and do not work for the long haul. Many also actually trigger horrible cravings and hunger in those of us with insulin resistance and not only make us fatter but feeling like failures. Part of the appeal of the works by the Hellers is how they address the physiology and why it is not that we are pigs, failures, lack willpower, etc but the chemistry behind why we end up wanting to eat so much and so much carb-rich foods.

Keep us posted and hang in there. I want to lose at least 80 pounds. I am not even sure what my true ideal weight should be and other than childhood have never been at it. I am 5ft 2.5 inches, and I just remember being 140 lbs as a teenager and loving how I looked then so that is my goal. I could probably weight between 120 and 130 and be even better but not sure if that is attainable. I do not plan on exercising anything extreme until I hit 180 to save my knees and other joints. I eat 100-160 gms of carbs daily and 1800-2600 calories daily. I am not low cal or low fat or low carb. I just combine my foods well and stick to my one hour!

Good luck!

MIW
Old 07-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #824
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbie49269
Stats: 180/160 Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
WOE: Carb Addict Diet
Start Date: Restarting again....
I started CAD again on July 4th and I've been doing good so far. For tonight's RM:
marinaded grilled pork skewers
parmesan couscous
green beans w/ roasted red peppers and bacon butter
ice water and cinnamon rolls, 2 to be exact.
bobbie49269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #825
Big Yapper!!!!

Got back on track. Been two days on plan, and going better.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #826
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lgna70
Stats: 199/199/150
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 2003 - again 20011
Any long time CAD's who have kept the weight off?

I am like so many who teeter-totter from diet to diet. I have tried this WOE before but just never stuck with it. I am at a place where this seems to be the only thing I could stick to if I could do anything. My issues lie mainly in that I feel deprived if I don't get something everyday - it doesnt have to be huge, but if I don't, I go back to that place in my mind where, when growing up we never got to eat jelly on PB sandwiches, just honey and PB ( my folks thought it was healthier ) ,we ate homemade brown bread, shredded wheat cereal without the frosting on it etc etc. Now don't get me wrong, we were fed and clothed and loved, but I still carry that deprivation mindset and want at least once a day what all the other kids got! I am in my 40's now, but still feel it. It's childish I know, but true. Has anybody out there reached their goals and been on this for a decent amount of time for it to be a way of life and maintained it? Just wondering. Sorry for the long post!
lgna70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #827
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgna70 View Post
I am like so many who teeter-totter from diet to diet. I have tried this WOE before but just never stuck with it. I am at a place where this seems to be the only thing I could stick to if I could do anything. My issues lie mainly in that I feel deprived if I don't get something everyday - it doesnt have to be huge, but if I don't, I go back to that place in my mind where, when growing up we never got to eat jelly on PB sandwiches, just honey and PB ( my folks thought it was healthier ) ,we ate homemade brown bread, shredded wheat cereal without the frosting on it etc etc. Now don't get me wrong, we were fed and clothed and loved, but I still carry that deprivation mindset and want at least once a day what all the other kids got! I am in my 40's now, but still feel it. It's childish I know, but true. Has anybody out there reached their goals and been on this for a decent amount of time for it to be a way of life and maintained it? Just wondering. Sorry for the long post!
Welcome. I feel the same way. I grew up on meat and potatoes and my mother had a huge garden when I was growing up. Frozen food didn't exist until high school......
Old 07-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #828
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MeBut20KilosLess
Newbie - wish me luck!

Good morning friends !
Like others, I have been lurking quietly for a week or two, reading all the posts, trying to get as much info as possible.
I started three weeks ago and so far its been ok - some weeks better than others - but losing weight every week.
And so for those of you who are in the know, I have a question about tea...If I drink it with milk (in order to not add sweetner) do I have to finish it in 15 minutes, like coffee?

Thank you
MeBut20KilosLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #829
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBut20KilosLess View Post
Good morning friends !
Like others, I have been lurking quietly for a week or two, reading all the posts, trying to get as much info as possible.
I started three weeks ago and so far its been ok - some weeks better than others - but losing weight every week.
And so for those of you who are in the know, I have a question about tea...If I drink it with milk (in order to not add sweetner) do I have to finish it in 15 minutes, like coffee?

Thank you
That is my understanding, from reading the book.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #830
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CookieCrazy
Stats: 251/247/175
WOE: CADD / RM = lunch
Start Date: May 2014
New to CAD.... Gained 1.4 lbs my first 2 days...Normal?

Hello everyone I am new to CAD. I own two of the Hellers books and about one year ago the first time I tried the diet i started dropping lbs right away. I had a medical issue emerge so I stopped the diet. I just started over 2 days ago and I am actually gaining weight?!?!!?!??!?!?!?? i am not doing anything differently than the first time. Anyone experience this with CAD???
CookieCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #831
Junior LCF Member

I meant to add more info.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalIowa View Post
Hello everyone I am new to CAD. I own two of the Hellers books and about one year ago the first time I tried the diet i started dropping lbs right away. I had a medical issue emerge so I stopped the diet. I just started over 2 days ago and I am actually gaining weight?!?!!?!??!?!?!?? i am not doing anything differently than the first time. Anyone experience this with CAD???
I eat EAS 3 net carb shakes for breakfast and lunch...I also add a stick of cheese and small salad at lunch on work days.

My reward meals consist of 1/3 meat , 1/3 carb, 1/3 veggie.... the funny thing is the first time I did the CAD diet I didnt really stick to it as strigent as i am this time and the weight was FALLING OFF ....now I am on day 3 and up about 1.6lbs ?!?!?!?!? I have been walking a little more and doing squats and crunches.

Anyway...ANY advice or experience you guys could share i would really appreciate!!!!

Also, I still drink 2 coke zero cans a day... and some flavored sugar free waters.... I have been reading alot of posts about this not being good on CAD. ???
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #832
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Yep......first few days as body gets used to carbs again. Then I drop. Kind of depends on how low the carbs were at before shifting to CAD eating.....
Old 07-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #833
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bobbie49269
Stats: 180/160 Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis
WOE: Carb Addict Diet
Start Date: Restarting again....
is it normal to not see numbers on scale go down, but to lose inches? Numbers not moving much but my clothes are fitting looser.
bobbie49269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #834
Major LCF Poster!

Hi all. I have been gone on a vacation for the past couple of weeks and even while a bit of it has been spent at home decided to do a step-back and an unplug from the puter.

For 4 days we were on the road and doing an RV trip into Idaho and lower parts of WA state that we haven't been too. I decided to just roll with it and eat whenever and whatever (basically SAD diet along with my family). I wasn't too shocked to see I managed to gain 8 pounds in those four days! So anyone else who wants to go off-plan for a few days (I have been commited for 9 months now) don't be surprised because it will happen. I happily lost 4 pounds the first day back on plan and feel the salty meals had a lot to do with it.

Today I was 218.4lb and the day I got back I was 223! I am wondering if I am triggering my TOM with the change in eating.

I was curious to see if I would be hungry, craving, etc and what was the symptom of IR that I noticed you might be wondering??? TIRED EXTREMELY TIRED all day each day. That was a huge change and very noticeable. I mean like wanting to just pull the RV over to the side of the road and nap for hours!!!

Anyways, happy to be back. I am eating my RM again earlier in the day and doing juicing along with it, then an early dinner-time CM with a large salad and some type of meat. I may slowly go back to eating RM only most days but I am just going to see how I feel. I also decided I am not going to count any of these huge fluctuations in weight into my daily avg and wait until I get back to the 215 range before I start adding those again since I obviously know what the deal is with the higher weight and I usually use my daily wts as a tracker when I am on plan to see if certain dietary items are stalling or causing weight gains/etc. Hope that doesn't seem like cheating and makes sense to others here.

MIW
Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #835
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MeBut20KilosLess
What do you think?

Hi All,
Im not certain the reward meal i had last night was quite right, and so Im turning to you for advice.
For my reward meal, at a restaurant, I had:
1. A very large salad with all kinds of vegies and pieces of mozzarella cheese.
2. 3 oven-baked lentil patties with sour cream and a tomato salsa
3. Brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup.
4. Cup of decaf coffee with milk

Now, size-wise, all the foods were the same size - took up the same amount of space on the plate.

I was thinking that lentils were like protein, so instead of meat or fish, but now Im thinking that theye were infact carbs, and that I shouldnt have had the brownie...

Is this right? or was it in fact a blalanced meal?
MeBut20KilosLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 AM   #836
Junior LCF Member

Thank you !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iakaren View Post
Yep......first few days as body gets used to carbs again. Then I drop. Kind of depends on how low the carbs were at before shifting to CAD eating.....
Yeah i started at 235 4 days ago and I have gone to 236,,,today I am 235.6 ..... I am going to stick with it, its just scary that I feel I am getting fatter when 235 was my heaviest weight in years.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 AM   #837
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBut20KilosLess View Post
...I was thinking that lentils were like protein, so instead of meat or fish, but now Im thinking that theye were infact carbs, and that I shouldnt have had the brownie...

Is this right? or was it in fact a blalanced meal?

I would say they count as both carbs and protein. Also the cheese. However, the Heller's wrote a "Heart Healthy" version of CAD and I think also somewhere they wrote a version for vegetarians. If you can find those books, you can probably see how to balance meals better and what beans and what amounts constitute towards carbs vs. protein.

But, all in all sounds good and just stay in the hour. Keep it up!

MIW
Old 07-18-2013, 10:12 AM   #838
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Yeah i started at 235 4 days ago and I have gone to 236,,,today I am 235.6 ..... I am going to stick with it, its just scary that I feel I am getting fatter when 235 was my heaviest weight in years.
Crystal, hang in there! Go back and look at all my posts with the daily and weekly avg. I have been doing this 9 months now. There is a definate overall downward trend. It is slow but steady. I am averaging on the low side and losing only 1-2 lbs a month. I could totally lose that a week if I was starving myself and exercising but I am not. I eat well well well and love it!!!!

Just hang in there. Also, I assume you are a woman and we cycle different ever day of every month of our entire lives and so many other hormones come into play that can affect fat burn, water retention, etc so don't let it get you down. Salty meals, stress, exercising more or less, so many factors besides calories affect how this WOE (way of eating) works so don't let the day to day stuff bother you. Keep at it a good 2 months of daily wts and then come back and tell me you are going up! LOL

Lastly, you are paying attention now more to what you are eating and how things affect the daily wts which is good. Before you probably didn't see slightly higher weights and how daily wts fluctuated when you were eating other ways. I mean you could have been a daily weight checker but most people aren't until they come to CAD.

You have to see how eating on this plan works for YOU. I found that while "on plan" following the 15 minute rule of coffee with only 2 oz of cream or less, even cutting out cheese at my CM's I plateaued for 2 months. I had to relent it was the coffee. I even switched to consuming it during my morning CM so the insulin release wouldn't be an extra one during the day and still no luck. It was decaf because I don't do caffeine anymore and the Heller's suggest caffeine may cause issues with insulin in some people. I went without coffee for over a month, then 2 days in a row had an iced decaf BLACK americano (just esspresso shots poured over ice with some cold water) and GAINED TWO POUNDS that week! I was curious and found out for sure that for me and my particular metabolism the coffee thing did not work and if I expect to lose I have to cut it out. I do have it during my RM however.

The reason I am going on and on about this is to encourage you to stay at it, but don't be afraid to really look at what works and what doesn't FOR YOU. The Heller's did not study each and everyone of us. Their plans are general to what worked for the largest group of people but we all still vary in our results. I stay within the rules but also deviate at times to see what works and what doesn't. The daily wts help me to see if I can get away with things or not or to examine what I am doing that is making a difference or not.

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 07-18-2013 at 10:14 AM..
Old 07-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #839
Junior LCF Member

@MakeItWork

Thank you soooo much for the input.

I looked back thru my food journal the first time I did CAD and i was still consuming Diet Rockstar and Diet coke at my CM's and the weight was falling off. Soo I can assume for now that caffiene and sugar free drinks are not giving me insulin issues, unless I run into a plateau.

I think you are right about it being around my TOM, I skip mine and only have a TOM every 3 months, but I def still have some water retention and such.
Also, my salt intake has been up because this time I am going with Plan D which requires 2 cups of salad at the beginning of a reward meal. I honestly have never had this much daily use of salad dressing. Before i just ate cucumber plain for my veggie intake at CMs and with reward meals.

I am sticking with Plan D and the walking.
I am also going to incorporate plain green tea to see if I can flush out the water weight.

ANYONE HAVE HELPFUL TIPS ON EXERCISES, Plan D of CAD, OR WATER WEIGHT TIPS THEY USE WITH CAD?????
Old 07-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #840
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie49269 View Post
is it normal to not see numbers on scale go down, but to lose inches? Numbers not moving much but my clothes are fitting looser.
Absolutely. This time on CAD, I didn't lose weight for over 2 weeks, but the weight shifted a lot!