Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/145.4/135
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: October 2014
Oriana, yesterday I had cottage cheese, greek yogurt (finishing it up before I officially start CAD), and gluten free biscuits with ham and cheese for dinner. I was going to have ice cream for desert, but I didn't feel hungry for it.

Right now, I am drinking black coffee (always preferred it this way) until I get hungry. Then I will have some protein. I'm never very hungry in the morning.

I have also tried almost every diet. For one reason or another, I have never stayed with anything, even when I have hit my goal weight. I think it's because all the diets that have got me to my goal weight have made me feel VERY deprived and then when I hit my goal, I can't help it....I start eating again.

I do know that for a diet to work for me, it needs to be lower in carbs overall, gluten free, simple to follow, and satisfying in terms of variety and choice. CAD meets all of these requirements. I can also see myself doing it long term because I get to "go off the diet" once a day. (It's not really going off the diet, but I think you all know what I mean!)

Earlier this year, I decided to go low carb/gluten free. I decided to take it seriously, so I bought all kinds of almond flour, coconut flour, and every kind of "healthy" sugar sub available. I cooked a bunch of recipes and disliked most of them. Plus, it's expensive to come up with substitute foods. I'd rather just eat what I want once a day than create an expensive alternative that I don't really enjoy. I'd rather eat a piece of real homemade fudge than try and make something from coconut oil, brown rice syrup, and cocoa!

Iakaren, I love seeing your weekly weights and seeing your progress. That's awesome!

MIW, yes, the diet merry go round can make anyone go crazy!
LowCarbRachel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3pupsmom
Stats: 228/213/175
WOE: CAD WOL
Start Date: Aug. 29, 2012
Hey, everyone! Glad to see you all on the new site. I want to thank you all for the advice and support you give. I now know I've been sabotaging myself by assuming I could handle SF drinks. Apparently, they are my weakness. The only way I will be able to continue to lose, is to remove them. Every other guideline, I can handle, and I do follow them. It's just the AS I have trouble with. Coffee without AS is just swill, IMHO.

Wish me luck, this is going to be a rough couple of days.........and hopefully, by Jan. 1st, I will have broken the "215" plateau!

Last edited by 3pupsmom; 12-29-2012 at 10:37 AM..
3pupsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #33
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Hi all! Got lots to catch up on! Just skimmed the posts so I need to go back and actually read them!

For me I am seeing all the emotions you guys are posting and remember being there.

I am no longer worrying about results or quick loss as I do when I try a "diet" CAD for me is so simply and I don't have to over think it. Its just life. I am glad to be at a place where I just can be. I think in the past I have sabotaged myself with a mindset of so and so lost so much and I didn't so I am going to go binge. Its not working anyway. For me that is totally unhealthy. I can't do a diet, I get obsessed about it. WW was the worst. Playing with all the points and garbage That one really was bonkers for me. LC doesn't work because after about 1 month on it I start getting really dizzy. I lose weight but gain it back in less than a week going off of it. Have lost 20 lbs in under a month 3 diff times on LC and gain it all back plus. On the flip side lc makes me feel better and clears my head I just need some carbs apparently. Did fruit flushes, fat fasts, juice fasts, the list goes on.... I am done with that hamster wheel! Going round and round and not getting anywhere! I like this woe its just life now and I am glad Karen introduced me to it! If its slow and steady so be it. I am done looking for the quick fix. If I had done slow and steady 5 years ago and only lost 1lb a month I would be at goal now

Well thats my story anyway

Sep 1~223, Oct 1~210, Nov 1~207
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: lotus33
WOE: mostly raw, plant based
Start Date: 9-1-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pupsmom View Post
Hey, everyone! Glad to see you all on the new site. I want to thank you all for the advice and support you give. I now know I've been sabotaging myself by assuming I could handle SF drinks. Apparently, they are my weakness. The only way I will be able to continue to lose, is to remove them. Every other guideline, I can handle, and I do follow them. It's just the AS I have trouble with. Coffee without AS is just swill, IMHO.

Wish me luck, this is going to be a rough couple of days.........and hopefully, by Jan. 1st, I will have broken the "215" plateau!
Luck!!!!
lotus33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Makeitwork
Stats: 235/212/140
WOE: One meal a day CAD style
Start Date: November 1, 2012
I pulled this from the "Show all data" portion of my ticker factory tracker. Going back to the beginning it is very neat to see the continuous slow cycle down to the present. Fingers crossed this continues!

BTW, cabbage is now my new favorite veggie. I have always liked it but we have been eating it once or twice a day with the left over Christmas ham. I love the ham diced and cooked with scrambled eggs, then sauteed with cabbage. Makes a wonderful filling and satisfying CM or RM main.

MIW

12/29/2012 222.5
12/28/2012 223.0
12/27/2012 222.5
12/26/2012 225.0
12/25/2012 224.0
12/24/2012 222.0
12/22/2012 224.0
12/21/2012 224.0
12/20/2012 224.5
12/19/2012 224.5
12/18/2012 225.0
12/17/2012 224.0
12/15/2012 223.0
12/14/2012 224.0
12/13/2012 224.0
12/12/2012 224.0
12/11/2012 224.0
12/10/2012 224.0
12/09/2012 223.5
12/08/2012 224.0
12/06/2012 225.0
12/05/2012 225.5
12/04/2012 225.5
12/03/2012 225.0
12/02/2012 225.0
12/01/2012 225.0
11/30/2012 228.0
11/29/2012 227.0
11/26/2012 225.0
11/20/2012 226.0
11/19/2012 227.0
11/12/2012 228.0
11/07/2012 229.0
11/05/2012 231.0
11/01/2012 235.0
Makeitwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #36
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: iakaren
Stats: 191/181/160
WOE: LC 11/06;CAD 11/11
Start Date: October 28, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus33 View Post
Hi all! Got lots to catch up on! Just skimmed the posts so I need to go back and actually read them!

For me I am seeing all the emotions you guys are posting and remember being there.

I am no longer worrying about results or quick loss as I do when I try a "diet" CAD for me is so simply and I don't have to over think it. Its just life. I am glad to be at a place where I just can be. I think in the past I have sabotaged myself with a mindset of so and so lost so much and I didn't so I am going to go binge. Its not working anyway. For me that is totally unhealthy. I can't do a diet, I get obsessed about it. WW was the worst. Playing with all the points and garbage That one really was bonkers for me. LC doesn't work because after about 1 month on it I start getting really dizzy. I lose weight but gain it back in less than a week going off of it. Have lost 20 lbs in under a month 3 diff times on LC and gain it all back plus. On the flip side lc makes me feel better and clears my head I just need some carbs apparently. Did fruit flushes, fat fasts, juice fasts, the list goes on.... I am done with that hamster wheel! Going round and round and not getting anywhere! I like this woe its just life now and I am glad Karen introduced me to it! If its slow and steady so be it. I am done looking for the quick fix. If I had done slow and steady 5 years ago and only lost 1lb a month I would be at goal now

Well thats my story anyway
I agree. Slow is okay, as long as I never have to buy a larger size of clothes. I have mentally set 190 as my "cannot get any bigger" weight. Now I hope to stick with this WOE and never have to worry about it again. I have a little comfort zone now, but would rather be back in the 170s. But confident I will get there eventually now. And not be dizzy from the food I eat or don't eat
iakaren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oriana
MIW I KNEW by the way you talked and by your knowledge that you were a nurse or nutritionist or something. I hope I don't distract anyone by my still using artificial sweeteners and drinking diet soda. I know that my friend who lost 100 pounds on CAD and has maintained for 5 years still drinks diet Mt. Dew and has the whole time with no problems. I am very satisfied today after my run and food.

B-2 oz. cheese, 2 bacon, coffee with HWC and splenda
L-2 oz. chicken, lg. plate of salad with ranch, diet coke
RM - so starving at 8 p.m. after a movie so I had 5 pcs. of DiGiorno frozen pizza, regular can of Coke, small container 14 oz of Haagen Dazs oink!
I ran 14 miles plus a little more this morning.

After my unbalance RM last night of 1 lg. apple and a huge 1000 calories chocolate bar I lost 2.5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!! I will probably be up after tonight's rm but I don't care.
oriana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriana View Post
MIW I KNEW by the way you talked and by your knowledge that you were a nurse or nutritionist or something. I hope I don't distract anyone by my still using artificial sweeteners and drinking diet soda. I know that my friend who lost 100 pounds on CAD and has maintained for 5 years still drinks diet Mt. Dew and has the whole time with no problems. I am very satisfied today after my run and food.

B-2 oz. cheese, 2 bacon, coffee with HWC and splenda
L-2 oz. chicken, lg. plate of salad with ranch, diet coke
RM - so starving at 8 p.m. after a movie so I had 5 pcs. of DiGiorno frozen pizza, regular can of Coke, small container 14 oz of Haagen Dazs oink!
I ran 14 miles plus a little more this morning.

After my unbalance RM last night of 1 lg. apple and a huge 1000 calories chocolate bar I lost 2.5 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!! I will probably be up after tonight's rm but I don't care.
Glad you are having good results! I say if you can drink the SF stuff and still lose and not get hungry or have any problems then go for it! I used to be able to eat all the SF stuff I wanted but I think it was cumulative and pretty soon practically everything I was eating had it in it (mainly from WW then shifted to Atkin's). It got where I was having the heart palpitations and insomnia so from that alone I am now paranoid about it, LOL. Also caffeine. I have gone through several phases in my life where I build up a tolerance and am pretty soon drinking 5-8 shots a day of esspresso, then start having panic attack like feelings and insomnia, etc. So then I detox off of it and now have done that back and forth that I have just decided to give it up for good. Just a personal choice of mine- nothing against caffeine afficionados! :P

It is getting late here and I still haven't eaten dinner. I almost feel like I could skip my RM tonight. Wow, never had a diet where I didn't even feel like eating, especially "good" stuff! LOL But, Hubby gets home later and I will eat a late dinner with him.

BTW, today's weight of 222.5 and started my TOM. Curious in another week after hormones and water weight is gone what my weight will be???
Old 12-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #39
Major LCF Poster!

Anyone do anything special to treat themselves not food-related? I have noticed since I started doing this that I no longer have the urge to bite my nails! Very weird since I was a thumb sucker and went straight into biting my nails when I got teeth and smoking as a teen. I always thought I had the "oral fixation" but now I am seriously wondering if it was nervous habits from hormone imbalance? I say that because the first week I started CAD back up I had a big acne outbreak (definately hormonal related) and I noticed I am not having as much facial hair or arm hair. Weird I know, but I am one of those OCD types who has to pluck and wax excess hair wherever I don't want it to be. I got to thinking along these lines when I was setting up my weight loss tracker and noticed it was also for women with PCOS and they have to go on a low carb diet to ovulate and to aid with fertility. I wonder if I have just had some mild issues with my insulin and other hormones being out of whack and now eating less carbs and less insulin release is normalizing my system?

Anyways, I have been doing manicures, pedicures, and facials. Makes me feel all purty and gurly

MIW
Old 12-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #40

Hi all!

Weighed myself today to get ready for my start on Wednesday. I need to get back into the habit of daily weighing. I've maintained my weight since the last time I weighed, which was last August. So, I've got maintenance down (lol)...now onto the weight loss.

I had a piece of cheese for breakfast and a salad and some soup for lunch. I've been fighting off a cold and just not that hungry. Hopefully I'll feel much better by Wednesday...it's going to be tough getting back into a work schedule after such a wonderful break!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Hey everyone! DH and I have been experimenting with low carb substitutions for high carb favorites. Today we made "mock" potato salad to go with our turkey. We used rutabagas in place of the potatoes and it was terrific! Do any of you all "experiment"?

So todays meals were:
B ... sausage & mushroom scrambled eggs
L ... ham, cheese, pepperoni & mustard roll-ups
D ... lg salad, turkey, green beans and mock tater salad with a sf soda

YUMMY!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Just thought I'd let you know that I joined another group on facebook if anyone wants to join me. There are 39 other people out there on CAD. Maybe more will come here if we let them know.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyNikki
Stats: 198.5/192/130
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Sept 2012
HI All! I would like to join in here. I am going to be forming a custom plan that works for me, using the concepts in this book. I lost weight doing this in the past. For my wedding i got into the 120's by basically having low carb bfast (CM) plus a reward meal lunch, and barely ever ate dinner. I think b/c i would have my RM for lunch, it gave me many hours for my food to burn off. I would also work out each night and will admit to having sugarfree candies some evenings or SF gum, which didn't stall me, in general. Fast forward 8 years, its not so pretty. I am sitting around 175-179lbs but i was this weight in high school too, and CAD helped me then, and believe it can help me now. Seems to be the only real way i can manage long term WL. I hope you all will help me. Here are my biggest struggles and I would love advice on how to work with them instead of typical advice of just not drinking or etc.

- I tend to have 1-2 nights per week (or more, but that is minimum) where I consume alcohol. Must I consume the alcohol w/in 1 hour window? And must it be part of my RM?

- I am not clear on coffee. I drink it all day long at work. Is this a problem? Do I need to cut down or out completely?

- smoking.. this is a nasty habit i recently re-pickedup. ugh. I am smoking a e-Cig more and more now to try to cut down on the actual thing. Will smoking the e-cig or cigs in general cause issues w/ insulin? I know i want to stop but am just not 100% ready at the moment.

- The biggie....I would LOVE to lose a good 5-10 lbs in the next 2 weeks (someone very special will be returning from a month long trip and would lovee to surprise him by wearing some very cute outfits - and in that window /frame I am willing to do what ever it takes, w/in reason (Stillmans type plan tends to work well for that-but i want to try a few days

Meanwhile, I have lately been having protein b-fast plus coffee, plus a RM for lunch (i was not following exact CAD guidelines of balance) and have been losing a consistent .5 lb per day! I work out at night, but even if i dont, still lose. However- my problem is that on the weekends I tend to drink outside of that window and sometimes fall off completely, thus sabotaging all my weekly successes Therefor - my new goal is as follows and tell me if this sounds reasonable:

- 1 carby meal per day, utilizing the CAD principles as close as i can, but basically just eating some proteins and such along w/ the carbs. Even when i eat chocolate and sugars i generally still always lose .5 lb / day which is awesome. Plus= i feel that i need some carbs for things to function well, hormones to stay in balance and when ever i go way too low carb hair falls out, and all kinds of weird things tend to happen for me.

- 1-2 CM / day depending on the day

- cutting out alcohol as much as possible after new years, and the nights that I do drink, i will do so w/ my RM and try to drink w/in a 1 hour window. (this could be a huge tool for me, as i am realizing i am drinking for long periods of time sometimes even small amounts, and doing so much later after my RM).

- cutting down to 2 cups of coffee per day, and if i have trouble losing, cutting down further. I think sometimes the caffeine is helpful for me as for speeding my metabolism. However, i will try to consume the 2 cups along w/ my bfast in the morning at work.

So all in all a typical day:

(non drinking day)
B: CM + coffee (1-2 cups w/in 60 minutes)
L: RM
D: None likely as i tend to stay full from RM and like to workout on empty-ish tummy

(drinking day)
B: CM, as late as possible to avoid crazy mid-day hunger
D: RM + alcohol - all consumed w/in 60 minutes.

I think that this really will work! I have always done best keeping it simple yet taylored to my crazy schedule/ lifestyle.

Wish me luck all- sorry this is really long but I needed to sorta vent out and think out some of my ideas and plans. xoxoxo!

Happy New Year everyone! Cheers to 2013, I have a feeling it is going to be a Wonderful year!!
-
SkinnyNikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Hello and welcome!!!! I wish you great success on your weight-loss journey! Happy New Year! Let the fun begin!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyNikki View Post

(non drinking day)
D: None likely as i tend to stay full from RM and like to workout on empty-ish tummy

(drinking day)

-
Welcome and a Happy New Year to you too! What you have listed above should work and sounds good. I too many days skip a CM, and usually don't snack anymore either. Was helpful to know I could the first week or two when I started.

Remember that this WOE isn't so much about the food, the calories, fat, etc. It is about INSULIN. Always keep that in mind and you will do fine. Even when we think about food or eating, see food, smell food, etc our body releases insulin. This WOE works by regulating insulin release in lesser amounts. If you drink outside of your one hour window, yes, you will gain because you have thus released more insulin. Also, alcohol affects the liver and our liver is what processes fat and also plays a key role in insulin production (along with the pancreas) so alcohol sabotages any diet to a degree. HOWEVER, LOL... I make my own wine and I usually have 1 or 2 glasses of wine one or two times a week depending on the occaision. Other times I will go months without any but I have still consistenly lost weight even with wine as long as I keep it in my hour.

Do you know about CALP principles? Same concept and diet for the most part as CAD, except at dinner you keep it all "balanced" and your alchohol counts towards your carb portion of your meal. Start with a 2 cup salad, then divide plate into thirds: 1/3 protein/fat, 1/3 of another LC veggie of your choice, and 1/3 carb of your choice. Portion size doens't matter as long as the 1/3 of each is roughly the same size.

As to the coffee: as long as it is black coffee you can drink it all day long. In the CALP book they recommend cutting out caffeine outside of RM if you notice you are stalling on weight loss as it can cause insulin issues in some people. But if you are losing then I wouldn't worry about it. IF you are drinking with cream or milk, you are "allowed" to have it one time a day, and it can be on it's own outside of a CM but needs to be consumed within 15 minutes. I have been toying with this as I have always been an iced mocha type of gal.

I have found that I can drink a plain decaf coffee with cream with my morning CM, and have an iced decaf americano with cream again later either on it's own as a snack, or again with a lunch CM and still lose. Technically that is cheating and not on the program but I justify this way: I think of cream/milk the same as cheese. I have been eating cheese at any of my CM's or RM and still losing. I detoxed off caffeine months ago and only have been drinking decaf so I am "ok" in that department. I think if you drink coffee with milk or cream all day long the fat and calories in it are enough to cause insulin release the same as any type of grazing eating and is why the Heller's say not to do it. I have found as long as I use my coffee as within my meal or on it's own within the 15 minute rule for it and count it as any other food I would otherwise eat following CAD/CALP then I am still losing just fine. Hopefully that makes sense. I am very critical and watch my weight and all scientific about it and I am objective too. I won't lie to myself about "cheating" and ignore the scale.

One last thing: The Heller's recommend taking GTF Chromium (Glucose Tolerance Factor Chromium). It helps minimize insulin resistance in people hence added weight loss. Also, Ceylon Cinnamon (can be found at healthfood stores) also is supposed to be good for minimizing insulin resistance. I take one GTF chromium a day first thing on an empty stomach, and use cinnamon 1-2 times a day on my coffees or in some dessert at night. It must be the part of the cinnamon bark that curls up in the sticks. The type found in most stores for use in food is usually a different layer of the cinnamon bark off the tree and not the type that helps with IR so make sure it is Ceylon cinnamon.

Good luck!

Sorry for the long post. I am kind of our group's CAD/CALP nerd! LOL

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 12-31-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 12-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

You know it really isn't clear about the cream in coffee rule. I know they say to have it and drink it within 15 minutes outside of a cm but it doesn't say if you can have one with your cm as well as the one outside. I wonder what the Hellers meant?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You know it really isn't clear about the cream in coffee rule. I know they say to have it and drink it within 15 minutes outside of a cm but it doesn't say if you can have one with your cm as well as the one outside. I wonder what the Hellers meant?
I know. That is why I am having coffee twice in a day (if I feel like it) but I usually have it with a CM and occaisionally on it's own as a snack following the 15 min rule. I am pretty sure it is because they didn't want people slipping and drinking it with milk all day long and nursing it that way due to insulin.

MIW
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2013! First post of the New Year

222lbs today. So far my all time low since Nov 1st. Stayed on plan last night, although it was a bit carb heavy but I didn't eat copious amounts:

B- 2 pc bacon 1 boiled egg, decaf coffee with cream and cinnamon

L- 3 meatballs, 1 baggie of shredded raw cabbage, large iced decaf americano with cream and cinnamon

RM-Large Cobb salad
1 piece of cheese pizza (frozen take home type, not terrible, plus I don't like to eat the crust)
1 C gingerbread ice cream
1 doughut
biotin, vitamins, water, ACV

MIW
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

My Weight Chart:
>

MIW
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Up two pounds but not worried. I ate like a horse at rm and had 2 bigger cms because I ran a lot yesterday. My rm was : 2 egg rolls, bowl of peas and carrots, salad with ranch, can of soda, apple, orange, 2 lg. pcs. of pecan pie with a lot of whipped cream. I deserved a gain and today I wasn't hungry til 10ish and just had 2 oz. of cheese, lg. coffee with cream and splenda. Tonight is going to be a lg. ribeye (says a pound but it is fatty and will probably be 10 oz. when cooked), salad with ranch, mug of mint and vanilla ice cream and black coffee. So even though I ate more yesterday, today I just didn't feel like it. I just can't go back to dieting with an apple for lunch. All last night all of the advertisements were Weight Watchers new 350 plan which they advertised so many times I was laughing. I doesn't work gals. It just produces an uncontrolable urge to binge. Oh sure, you'll lose. I lost on 30 bananas a a day diet. I am here to say I starved and lost only to binge and gain. This is it for life for me even if it means I have to gain and be at a heavier weight. I want to be happy and eat with family and friends and not have to measure or bring food or eat like a weirdo. I hated being around women who constantly were dieting and couldn't have this and that and looked and talked miserably all the time about their diet and weight. NO MORE!
Old 01-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Up two pounds but not worried. I ate like a horse at rm and had 2 bigger cms because I ran a lot yesterday. My rm was : 2 egg rolls, bowl of peas and carrots, salad with ranch, can of soda, apple, orange, 2 lg. pcs. of pecan pie with a lot of whipped cream. I deserved a gain and today I wasn't hungry til 10ish and just had 2 oz. of cheese, lg. coffee with cream and splenda. Tonight is going to be a lg. ribeye (says a pound but it is fatty and will probably be 10 oz. when cooked), salad with ranch, mug of mint and vanilla ice cream and black coffee. So even though I ate more yesterday, today I just didn't feel like it. I just can't go back to dieting with an apple for lunch. All last night all of the advertisements were Weight Watchers new 350 plan which they advertised so many times I was laughing. I doesn't work gals. It just produces an uncontrolable urge to binge. Oh sure, you'll lose. I lost on 30 bananas a a day diet. I am here to say I starved and lost only to binge and gain. This is it for life for me even if it means I have to gain and be at a heavier weight. I want to be happy and eat with family and friends and not have to measure or bring food or eat like a weirdo. I hated being around women who constantly were dieting and couldn't have this and that and looked and talked miserably all the time about their diet and weight. NO MORE!
Oriana, I am really excited for you for so many different reasons! I think it is great how you are getting off the diet merry-go-round and are ready for a plan that is for life. I am glad you like this woe and you feel good on it. Me too oh so much. I am ok with my weight loss being super slow. Hey- it is still happening and I am eating like a King and actually getting thinner!!!!

I am glad you are listening to your body and eating when hungry and not when your not. So many of us over the years ate and stuffed ourselves or starved ourselves and never found the middle ground. I am also glad you are ok with the possibility of gaining- however I think with the way you train and exercise that probably won't be much and it will be the "good" type of weight gain ie muscle and bone density. You probably have a heck of a metabolism Have you had issues with Insulin Resistance in the past such as mindless cravings, getting tired after eating, only craving carbs, family history of diabetes, etc? Just curious. Happy New Year!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 01-01-2013 at 04:46 PM..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Hey all: took the Hubby and kids out for a walk at our local nature preserve/bird sanctuary. It is the New Year after all so wanted to start out by getting some much needed exercise. We did about 3 miles round trip which is phenomenal for my husband as he has had sciatica issues for the last 4 years or so. He did great and didn't get any leg pain, burning, etc

MIW
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

MIW I am very insulin resistant. At least that is how I tested from the book. I used to stuff myself and still felt unsatisfied. I would die for a piece of fruit if I would go off my fruit diet and then fruit led to more "satisfying" sweets with fat like chocolate. I craved food and couldn't understand how everyone I ate with could stop and be satisfied after eating a measly sandwich or something when I would eat one and need more food or dessert so my idea of curing myself from weight gain would be to starve on fruit for a few days and then stuff on food. I would eat and feel gross. Thank God for CAD.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #54
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyNikki
Stats: 198.5/192/130
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Sept 2012
Makeitwork: Thanks for all of that information! It was quite well, informative !! I am familiar with the book and am slowly making my way through it and learning a lot. Today I bought some supplements cinnamin and chromium and will take those with my RM (lunch). Excited to see the results this week but a bad thing is - I don't know my starting weight. I know the last time i weighed in around 178 before NY and since then haven't been an angel im going to guess im around the same weight considering i have been still visiting the gym each day.

Does anyone know the effects of smoking or nicotine on insulin? I am trying to cut down using the e-cig which gives a small but steady supply of nicotine throughout my day. I am frankly scared to quit even since im hearing these horror stories of severe cravings but i am going to try to cut down soonish. Id hate to have my loss sabotaged by this crazy addiction.

I put cinnamon in my morning coffee w/ just a little half n half. It made it have a nice sweetness and i didn't miss the splenda at all! cool beans.

Some goals for this week are to lose 5lbs - but I am thinking I will wait a few days to weigh myself since i dont want the scale to deter my efforts. I can generally "tell" if i am losing, but if i cave and step on it then oh well- gonna play it by ear and not get crazy.

This WOE seems really practical and do-able and I know that since i have actually had huge successes with it before! The only problem is I dont have any veggies or salad in my plan since it requires actually preparing it and i rely heavily on fast food options and if it seems like i am having issues related to this, i will just have to make the extra effort. Does anyone have any suggestions on easily making a salad for my lunch :/ I can be really busy, sometimes not even home for a few days and so i bounce around allot and am really not home all that much.

Good luck everyone! I am excited to learn more about my body and report back with great successes : )

Happy New Year all - Cheers! xo
SkinnyNikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #55

Well, here I am, ready to get started. I'm glad I started weighing myself all ready. My weight has gone up 3.5 pounds since I weighed on Sunday, but I know its because I couldn't sleep and took a sleeping pill last night. Those things always make me retain a ton of water. Anyway, I'll start my weekly weight average with that high weight.

I have cottage cheese and string cheese at work today, plus some green veggies. I didn't really feel like making anything else, but I know I need to get on top of some easy but yet filling CM's. Hopefully I'll start feeling better soon and will have some energy to make some meals.

Back at work today...tired and trying to get a list going of what is done, in progress, and on the schedule for the new year. YAWN. Did I mention I'm tired and still not feeling 100%?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Makeitwork: Thanks for all of that information! It was quite well, informative !! I am familiar with the book and am slowly making my way through it and learning a lot. Today I bought some supplements cinnamin and chromium and will take those with my RM (lunch). Excited to see the results this week but a bad thing is - I don't know my starting weight. I know the last time i weighed in around 178 before NY and since then haven't been an angel im going to guess im around the same weight considering i have been still visiting the gym each day.

Does anyone know the effects of smoking or nicotine on insulin? I am trying to cut down using the e-cig which gives a small but steady supply of nicotine throughout my day. I am frankly scared to quit even since im hearing these horror stories of severe cravings but i am going to try to cut down soonish. Id hate to have my loss sabotaged by this crazy addiction.

I put cinnamon in my morning coffee w/ just a little half n half. It made it have a nice sweetness and i didn't miss the splenda at all! cool beans.

Some goals for this week are to lose 5lbs - but I am thinking I will wait a few days to weigh myself since i dont want the scale to deter my efforts. I can generally "tell" if i am losing, but if i cave and step on it then oh well- gonna play it by ear and not get crazy.

This WOE seems really practical and do-able and I know that since i have actually had huge successes with it before! The only problem is I dont have any veggies or salad in my plan since it requires actually preparing it and i rely heavily on fast food options and if it seems like i am having issues related to this, i will just have to make the extra effort. Does anyone have any suggestions on easily making a salad for my lunch :/ I can be really busy, sometimes not even home for a few days and so i bounce around allot and am really not home all that much.

Good luck everyone! I am excited to learn more about my body and report back with great successes : )

Happy New Year all - Cheers! xo
Well good luck to you this year on many fronts. I used to smoke myself starting at 12 years old up to 21 when I quit and was up to 2 packs a day the last year or two. I ultimately quit cold-turkey and was maybe my 3rd time ever trying to quit. It was for financial reasons and also pride since my now husband (boyfriend at the time I quit) didn't smoke and I didn't want to have to ask him to pay for my cigarettes which was close to $7-8 a day habit by the time I quit.

I don't know exactly about the e-cigs but I think they do contain nicotine. Nicotine doesn't do anything helpful to the body other than maybe act as a laxative affect. Everything else is negative. It can cause arterial spasms like cocaine and that is not good if you have narrow coronary arteries and don't want to have chest pain or a heart attack (of course rare but still)! It excites your receptors and affects brain chemistry as much or more than opiates and cocaines which is why it is so highly addictive. They "cravings" we get for any substance are actually withdrawl symptoms.

Smoking in general is bad not just because of the toxicity of the subtances and cancer causing issues, but because it robs every cell in your body of oxygen and ultimately alters cellular metabolism. We are actually trying to get "optimal" cellular metabolism when losing weight, and getting healthy in general. Optimal cellular metabolism keeps our skin and hair looking good as we age, organs doing their jobs as efficiently as possible. You want to pamper and baby yourself don't you? LOL Remember that our entire body is actually not one living organism (You) but actually a complex of trillions of individualized cells that come together to make up your body. They are all depending on you to take care of them

There are usually two sides to changing habits: one says start slow, don't overwhelm youself, do one thing at a time (like either quit OR change your eating habits- not both).

The other says "jump in with both feet" and just start with a clean slate and wake up one day and completely change your lifestyle. You know yourself best when it comes to your personality and ability to take on challenges. If you are motivated enough, have a good support system, probably most importantly have good coping mechanisms and inner-strenght and fortitude you might be able to. Sometimes it just takes keeping your mind focus and having confidence. I think just the fact that you were able to quit off of real cigarettes and go to e-cigs is pretty good! People are quite capable of greatness and doing great things. Set yourself up for success and not failure. Do what you are capable of doing but also don't be afraid to step outside of the box and challenge yourself once in awhile either.

It has been so many years for myself sometimes I can't even believe that I used to do it! LOL I know I am so much healthier now. I have so many patients at work that smoke, use patches, e-cigs, etc and you can smell the tobacco and nicotine coming out of their pores. It honestly takes a year to get your sense of smell back and even accurate taste and you will freak out when you realize you used to smell like that! LOL

I wouldn't worry about cravings for food if you do give up the habit. I did actually gain weight myself when I quit (about 30lbs over a year and a half period) but I wouldn't say it was because I was eating much more but that it does take time for your metabolism to adjust, plus the whole "switching one habit out with another" so snacking and eating more frequently probably came into play for me. But, if I knew then what I know now and was following a eating plan that took away my cravings for sweets, etc I doubt it would have even been an issue. Carry a water bottle with you everywhere and drink instead of taking a drag! I ultimately put on 80lbs over all these years as a combo from yo-yo dieting, and I also got the Norplant implant birthcontrol as a teen and found out that many women gained incredible amounts of weight from being on that so I always wonder if having that altered my metabolism too.

Salads- buy prepared tubs of it. You can get really big ones from Costco or Cash and Carry for the same price as the little ones in the grocery stores. They are herb mix and spring mix or baby green blends that are pretty good. I put them in a large gallon size zip lock and you can compress the air out of them and down to nothing to fit into a lunch bag. I am talking like at least a 4 cup salad or larger. Also, many fast food places even McD's have salads. Not the greatest but still some veggies. Even ice berg lettuce is a good source for fiber and Vit K, so it is not completely devoid of nutrition like you might hear. Eating healthy is just something that takes dedication and a bit of time, can be more expensive than packaged food but hey- we are worth it!

MIW

Last edited by Makeitwork; 01-02-2013 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #57
Major LCF Poster!

221.5 lbs today Not sure if it was going for the walk (Hubby says it was closer to 4 miles) or last day of TOM or both, but this is my best weight in a few years. SO so happy!

yesterday:

B- 1 boiled egg, 2 pc bacon, 1/4 head of cagged sauteed all together (my new favorite breakfast!) decaf coffee with cream and cinnamon

L- 3 meatballs with horseradish dipping sauce, ice berg lettuce with cream cheese roll, and 2 long pieces of celery with cream cheese.

RM- large bowl of the last of the leftover Christmas ham and gourmet bean blend soup I made (also had cabbage in it), 1/2 head of ice berg lettuce (I just cut it into quarters and ate it one crunchy bite by bite), 1 doughnut and 1 cup gingerbread ice cream. Also all my vitamins.

I need to really make sure I am getting in enough water daily. That is something I have slacked off a bit the last 3 weeks or so.

MIW
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #58
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Hi all!

Weighed myself today to get ready for my start on Wednesday. I need to get back into the habit of daily weighing. I've maintained my weight since the last time I weighed, which was last August. So, I've got maintenance down (lol)...now onto the weight loss.

I had a piece of cheese for breakfast and a salad and some soup for lunch. I've been fighting off a cold and just not that hungry. Hopefully I'll feel much better by Wednesday...it's going to be tough getting back into a work schedule after such a wonderful break!
I weigh every day also. There is also a Daily Weight thread on this forum.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #59
Big Yapper!!!!

Quote:
HI All! I would like to join in here. I am going to be forming a custom plan that works for me, using the concepts in this book. I lost weight doing this in the past. For my wedding i got into the 120's by basically having low carb bfast (CM) plus a reward meal lunch, and barely ever ate dinner. I think b/c i would have my RM for lunch, it gave me many hours for my food to burn off. I would also work out each night and will admit to having sugarfree candies some evenings or SF gum, which didn't stall me, in general. Fast forward 8 years, its not so pretty. I am sitting around 175-179lbs but i was this weight in high school too, and CAD helped me then, and believe it can help me now. Seems to be the only real way i can manage long term WL. I hope you all will help me. Here are my biggest struggles and I would love advice on how to work with them instead of typical advice of just not drinking or etc.

- I tend to have 1-2 nights per week (or more, but that is minimum) where I consume alcohol. Must I consume the alcohol w/in 1 hour window? And must it be part of my RM?

- I am not clear on coffee. I drink it all day long at work. Is this a problem? Do I need to cut down or out completely?

- smoking.. this is a nasty habit i recently re-pickedup. ugh. I am smoking a e-Cig more and more now to try to cut down on the actual thing. Will smoking the e-cig or cigs in general cause issues w/ insulin? I know i want to stop but am just not 100% ready at the moment.

- The biggie....I would LOVE to lose a good 5-10 lbs in the next 2 weeks (someone very special will be returning from a month long trip and would lovee to surprise him by wearing some very cute outfits - and in that window /frame I am willing to do what ever it takes, w/in reason (Stillmans type plan tends to work well for that-but i want to try a few days

Meanwhile, I have lately been having protein b-fast plus coffee, plus a RM for lunch (i was not following exact CAD guidelines of balance) and have been losing a consistent .5 lb per day! I work out at night, but even if i dont, still lose. However- my problem is that on the weekends I tend to drink outside of that window and sometimes fall off completely, thus sabotaging all my weekly successes Therefor - my new goal is as follows and tell me if this sounds reasonable:

- 1 carby meal per day, utilizing the CAD principles as close as i can, but basically just eating some proteins and such along w/ the carbs. Even when i eat chocolate and sugars i generally still always lose .5 lb / day which is awesome. Plus= i feel that i need some carbs for things to function well, hormones to stay in balance and when ever i go way too low carb hair falls out, and all kinds of weird things tend to happen for me.

- 1-2 CM / day depending on the day

- cutting out alcohol as much as possible after new years, and the nights that I do drink, i will do so w/ my RM and try to drink w/in a 1 hour window. (this could be a huge tool for me, as i am realizing i am drinking for long periods of time sometimes even small amounts, and doing so much later after my RM).

- cutting down to 2 cups of coffee per day, and if i have trouble losing, cutting down further. I think sometimes the caffeine is helpful for me as for speeding my metabolism. However, i will try to consume the 2 cups along w/ my bfast in the morning at work.

(non drinking day)

(drinking day)

I think that this really will work! I have always done best keeping it simple yet taylored to my crazy schedule/ lifestyle.

Wish me luck all- sorry this is really long but I needed to sorta vent out and think out some of my ideas and plans. xoxoxo!

Happy New Year everyone! Cheers to 2013, I have a feeling it is going to be a Wonderful year!!
-
I know alcohol must be within the the 1 hour window.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Can someone tell me how many carbs would be in a Starbucks venti cappucino made with heavy cream? It would be less that a latte and maybe acceptable. Also, I noticed in the first hardback CAD that we can have 2-3 oz. of cheese! I love cheese for breakfast with coffee! I was down 2.5 pounds after that huge steak, salad, mint chip and vanilla ice cream. Tonight I had grapefruit and a lot of it from our neighbor's tree and two huge pcs. of pecan pie with a lot of whipped cream. I figured the pecans were protein! LOL! I just didn't want more meat!