Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #241
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Joyce, Are you sure that Kurt is not blogging any more? I see him posting over at PHD site under comments now and then.

I very much appreciate the plan that he endorses and when I read over it, I instantly saw the correlation to PHD.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Well, he's not adding to the Archevore site at this time and I've seen many people reference "back when Dr. Harris was blogging . . . ." He does seem to still be active in commenting on other's blogs, though, like you said! I did a search for him the other day in Google and one of the popular searches that came up was kurt harris md 2012; with that I realized that others were searching for his recent appearances on blogs here and there. LOL!!

I always liked that he broke it down and prioritized steps--what's more important to do FIRST and such. Good stuff!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #243
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Joyce! Thank you! I wish you could see my big GIGANTIC smile right now.
I can't wait for Cici to read your post! I was hesitant to state this for certain, because I am not to where you are yet, but it looks like as long as we stay with PHD, we can really eat more food.

My hope is to just do 16 hour daily fast and eat healthy, allowing myself some dark choc & wine once in a while (not every day). And to arrive at goal without too much struggle.
Thank you so much!!!

Exactly! And we can apparently go to the bathroom regularly too. I really think it must have been JUDDD doing that to me, as wonderful as it is in SO many ways. I just could not overcome that issue. I joined a Facebook 5:2 group some time back and one of the first posts I happened upon said, "constipation is a common side effect of this way of eating." First I had heard that!

Anyway . . . yes, I am losing! And I am super happy. You know how people always say, "I can see myself doing XYZ way of eating forever" Well, I have NEVER been able to say that until now with absolute certainty. I LOVE the PHD and I love knowing I will eat each day. With my schedule, I found down days on certain work days a real issue and was always worrying about whether a down day would fall on a day where I was photographing or writing (both of those things were harder to do on down days). Or days when I needed to stay up late into the night to work . . . torture when that was a down day.

Anyway, again, I think JUDDD is great and I still feel the lure/pull from time to time, but if I can eat in the 1400-1600 range daily and keep losing, however slowly, I'm IN!!!!

(Also related to this . . . before I went to Disney at Christmas I started researching people who eat at the maintenance calories for their goal weight--"eat more 2 weight less" was one group that came up, and eucalorics is another word for it. I've basically been doing this . . . eating what a 140 lb person would to maintain--I am at 180 now, down from a high of 244. So far, so good!)

Last edited by mttemple4; 01-21-2013 at 10:40 AM..
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Thank you so much!!!

Exactly! And we can apparently go to the bathroom regularly too. I really think it must have been JUDDD doing that to me, as wonderful as it is in SO many ways. I just could not overcome that issue. I joined a Facebook 5:2 group some time back and one of the first posts I happened upon said, "constipation is a common side effect of this way of eating." First I had heard that!

Anyway . . . yes, I am losing! And I am super happy. You know how people always say, "I can see myself doing XYZ way of eating forever" Well, I have NEVER been able to say that until now with absolute certainty. I LOVE the PHD and I love knowing I will eat each day. With my schedule, I found down days on certain work days a real issue and was always worrying about whether a down day would fall on a day where I was photographing or writing (both of those things were harder to do on down days). Or days when I needed to stay up late into the night to work . . . torture when that was a down day.

Anyway, again, I think JUDDD is great and I still feel the lure/pull from time to time, but if I can eat in the 1400-1600 range daily and keep losing, however slowly, I'm IN!!!!

(Also related to this . . . before I went to Disney at Christmas I started researching people who eat at the maintenance calories for their goal weight--"eat more 2 weight less" was one group that came up, and eucalorics is another word for it. I've basically been doing this . . . eating what a 140 lb person would to maintain--I am at 180 now, down from a high of 244. So far, so good!)
So, in other words, we could go to the TDEE calculator and put in our goal weight and just plan to eat around that amount and lose, although gradually? I really do like that. I believe with 8 hour or less window, it would fall off even easier.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #245
Senior LCF Member

Yes, that's the idea! I put in 144 lbs, sedentary (working on it, LOL!) and went with that number. Of course all of the calculators are a bit different. Scooby's workshop has a good one I hadn't seen before, and GoKaleo also linked some good ones recently.

Can you tell I was on a research tear that would tell me to eat more?
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #246
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post

Beverly--I definitely still feel like I'm getting plenty of fat even on the PHD weight loss. The ratios I'm using (per the latest book, carb percentages were lower when they initially made them) are 15% protein, 30% carbs, and 55% fat. It's hard for me to keep 15% protein sometimes and that veers up towards 20% and I take fat down to 5% then.

SO . . . I know this might be TMI, but it is a direct benefit of the PHD so I will share. I JUDDed from March-December of last year. I never could keep my down days as low as I wanted (usually between 500-800) and even that I found a challenge. Let's just say the idea of doing low down days into maintenance was not appealing to me. Despite the benefits I did feel, though, I was constipated. I took magnesium, did all sorts of things, and I just could never get regular. EVER. It was driving me crazy.

I'm very tempted to 5:2 fast just to get some weight off more quickly (and I don't find 2 days a week as demoralizing as I did every other day ) but I don't want to mess up a good thing. I'm thinking I will wait a bit and then, if I try 5:2, make those down days heavily potato based.
Joyce, first congrats on your loss. You are doing so well and you give me hope!
Thanks for the new ratios for weight loss. That is good to know!

I hesitated to remark on "elimination", but since you brought it up.... I have a different issue than the constipation. (long history of bowel disorder). I noticed that eating the potatoes seemed to normalize the consistency which has been a big issue for years. It happened relatively quickly too. This is great for me. So maybe potatoes normalize the elimination process overall. Maybe others are seeing that too but hesitant to write that. Maybe people are talking about it on the potato hack thread.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I enjoy Scooby's site. I think Kettleboy or Deltaboy recommended that particular one.

Here is the question of the day on PHD site~

Quote:
hELLO-

How long does it take to fix your health after 2.5 years of abuse?
im 20 years old, birthday is june 7th.

around late summer 2010, i started a habit of going to taco bell everyday. this eventually snowballed into 2.5 years of dietary abuse and junk food addiction.

i kept all of my receipts from 2011 and 2012 from taco bell, mcdonalds, and dominoes. this is how many times i went…

2011:
taco bell- 367
mcdonalds -301
dominoes -356

2012:
taco bell- 398
mcdonalds – 410 (the great summer mcflurry binge)
dominoes – 299

on top of this, id easily go through 2 gallons of soda, whole tubs of ice cream, entire packs of chips ahoy with a galon of milk, etc a day.

I used antibiotics a few times in this period so i suspect possible candida overgrowth

amazingly my BMI didnt go above 25 until about a month ago, although im now starting to add more fat than i should.

i feel so sick. im constantly tired, have brain fog, depression, etc.

so monday i adopted a strict paleo diet with sweet potato. all of my meat is 100% grass fed, im doing interrmittent fasting, and im going to stay 100% pure.

how long will it take to undo the damage and feel normal again?
Bless his heart.

And Paul's response~

Quote:
Hi Saul,

I have no idea how long it will take, it depends on what sort of infections you have acquired.

The key thing is to tend to the process of being healthy, and let outcomes care for themselves. Good health will come.

Try to follow our diet and lifestyle recommendations for ~3 months and then come back and let me know what symptoms are still with you.
I think this could be just about every college kid that I know. I can vouch that most eat this way.

Last edited by sunday; 01-21-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Wow. Someone fast fooding it 3-4x/day! wonder how he could afford it and what turned him around.

Really good posts this morning. I lost my internet connection at home so just came to the library for my fix.

I am excited about Joyce's experiment. It may be the best route for me too. Even though the best I can expect with simple calorie restricting is 1-2 pounds/month loss, I really need to establish some consistency and well being. I am so binge prone. Not the 3000 calorie stuff yourself 'til you want to die kind but the let's eat junk instead of dinner and keep on going kind. I have done some serious damage since reintroducing carbs. Made the mistake of buying both beer and salty rice cakes and 3 days in a row had 2 beers and 8 rice cakes with butter and/or laughing cow for dinner. The actual overage in calories was only a couple hundred/day but I am 8 pounds higher than last week at this time. Confirms that I have no tolerance for junk and no off button. Today I decided to attempt a DD at 700. Potatoes/salmon/salad/broth. There is room for a little something extra. Am not worrying about ratios. Just want to get rid of the bloat. Lesson of the day.... There are no quick fixes for this girl.

AIM challenge
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #249
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I concur, no quick fixes for me as well! I have been painfully slow with weight loss. One main reason that I searched for a plan like PHD, is that I do believe that changing the type of food that we eat will instill a balance, healing the gut and cleansing the liver/digestive system as we nourish our body. Hopefully, it will be thorough enough to make a difference. I wasn't a sugar/wheat addict, but I was a nut/chips & salsa addict. Same thing.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #250
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I think the 5/2 fast is doable for me as well. Last week I had T/TH/Sat (down days) Saturday was very difficult. I want to do a T/TH fast and follow WW on the other days. I really like what I'm learning from WW but I also really like the way I feel when I JUDDD. I guess the main thing is to play it by ear, and listen to my body. Setting the Sirt1 response in motion is a good thing.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #251
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Fantastic thread. I feel as though my happy spot is somewhere in this PHD-JUDDD-5/19 cloud.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Since my horrible carb reload gone wild last week and 8 pound gain (why oh why do I do this?) I needed something simple to get back control. After spending two days reading potato hack stuff and being gifted a huge bag of potatoes, decided to give it a try. The potatoes are just generic grocery store fare so I am alternating with rice to minimize the toxins. Yesterday was 3 pounds potatoes only, cooked, cooled and reheated with spices. No cravings. A little odd feeling throughout the day but manageable. Today, potatoes for breakfast, rice for lunch, Have potatoes, rice and squash calculated in for the rest of the day to total 1040. Am a little nervous about when the BS dip will take place as I have an interview and testing from 2:00 - 4:? this afternoon so no chance to refuel until I come home. Down 1 pound yesterday morning before starting and another pound this morning. Feel pretty good today with less urgent morning hunger than usual.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #253
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to hear Cici!
The great thing about taters, is I am having them every day with a bit of bb on top and loving it. Now, my weight has stopped dropping, but I will weigh again on Sunday after Sat DD, to let you know if I see any more weight loss. I love that for such a low cost, they seem to be a great filler even when mixed in with a protein dish. I haven't tried rice yet, but bought tapioca and think I may add to one of my dd meals.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #254
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think UD is teaching me a thing or two about satiety. I don't know how I can eat one more thing today and I have 700 more cals to go. I brought walnuts & dark choc back from lunch to my office, but I really don't think I am going to feel the desire to eat.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #255
Major LCF Poster!

MMMmmm, bone broth. I defatted a quart and made a soup with 1c BB, 1c rice and one baby yukon mashed in, salt, pepper and garlic for a very tasty supper. There is still more logged in for my day too, but not sure if I will eat it.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #256
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
MMMmmm, bone broth. I defatted a quart and made a soup with 1c BB, 1c rice and one baby yukon mashed in, salt, pepper and garlic for a very tasty supper. There is still more logged in for my day too, but not sure if I will eat it.
I can't believe that it has taken me this long to discover the broth. It is keeping me happy during the cold weather. I plan to keep it up in the warm weather.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #257
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/229.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
I'm happy to read you're all doing well! I am definitely enjoying the extra carbs that potatoes afford, the feeling of being deprived is not there at all. Since WW is all about lower fat the potatoes fit in nicely. Weirdly 4 ounces of potatoes have roughly the same amount of points as four ounces of meat. I would think potatoes would be less but I don't quite understand the point system, I just do what I'm told!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 AM   #258
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Sunday, just wanted to update you. I'm re-starting Rx hCG, loading Thurs/Frid and will begin VLCD Saturday unless I decide to load a 3rd day due to nutritional after coming off JUDDD. Probably not. I will really try to just "eat to hunger" and concentrate protein early in the day and save a fruit for evening with tea and see if it speeds up weightloss. I have a hard time believing 500 calories spread any which way among the hours in a day would make a difference. I will try to do 23-30 days. I hope my adrenals and sleep don't go wonky.

Can you get bone broth that doesn't have fat in it at the health food store? I would consider that for nutrition with such low calories for this brief stint. I will also sub in nonfat kefir (unsweetened) and nonfat plain Greek Yogurt now and then for a protein. I will likely be eating blueberries and apples, chicken and beef, spinach and cabbage the most. I keep frankenfoods to an absolute minimum.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain

Last edited by C'Marie; 01-24-2013 at 12:47 AM..
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:42 AM   #259
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, you can buy bone broth already made through that one site. US Wellness Meats. They also sell very good cartilage and marrow bones for a great price. There is another site, I believe it is Eat Wild, that had bone broth. You can de-fat any broth that you make very easily. Just put in fridge and the fat floats to the top once it is cold and hardens, I poke a whole in the fat and pour all of the broth through the hole into a good freezer type container.

Also, I found organic free range beef & chicken broth at my local wfs. It is very tasty and should give you something to sip on when you are feeliing the need for very low cals.

Marie, I admire that you can do this. I have seriously thought about it, then I decide just to hang here, it may be because I am so low eod, that it seems way too much for me. I wish you well!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 01-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #260
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From PHD site~

Quote:
Ibrahim January 23, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hello Paul, Is it okay normal to feel cold when on the weight loss version of the diet (eating little fat, 600 carb, 300 protein calories)?

Also, if someone is bromine toxic, do you think its better to maybe increase iodine even more slowly. Like starting at 50mcg and increasing it by 50-100mcg a month. Taking about a year or 2 to reach to 1gram or would bromine still be detoxed from the body if you were to stick to a low dose of 225mcg indefinitely over the years

Thanks
His Reply

Quote:
Paul Jaminet January 23, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Hi Ibrahim,

Feeling cold indicates hypothyroidism possibly due to starvation / too few carb+protein calories.

I would try introducing more carb and protein. You need to eat normal amounts of these, reduce calories only by reducing fat.

Yes, it does take a long time to clear bromine. Go slowly enough that you don’t have a strong reaction to the iodine.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #261
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am on armour thyroid, but I truly believe this is why we are so cold on DD's and why I sporadically suffer cold either day. I am too low on protein/carbs. I have suspected this for some time, so I think I really do need to lower the fat and raise the protein. It isn't going to be for long term, then I could throw in a good fat day once per week.

What say my budds?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I may have missed something, but why wouldn't you eat great fats every UD?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #263
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sunday, I may have missed something, but why wouldn't you eat great fats every UD?
I didn't make this very clear, I apologize! Paul is saying w/ PHD weight loss version, we lower fat instead of carbs/protein. Which I am thinking about doing for the next week or so and see if it makes much difference? I am really into foods that have high fat, such as beef/pork fat, avocados, walnuts, olives, salmon, etc. So, just to see how my metabolism does, I will try to only have one higher fat day w/ 6 low fat days (lean meats, no nuts) and see how I do weight loss wise? It may be no difference.

I am doing well with the 16 hours, so I am upping my DD and my UD is coming down just a smidgeon. Mostly because I can't fit 1600 cals in 7 hours.

So my ratios will be 50/30/20.

Last edited by sunday; 01-24-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #264
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, I get what you're saying. Really, the permutations and combinations are so enormous, here, that's it's a wonder we can get our ideas across at all.
I'm keeping fat up on UDs - I find it so satisfying - and staying with broth, taters, and coffee with cream on DDs.
This is all a bit more challenging with a small eating window, but the window feels good, otherwise.
It is truly amazing to realize how little food my body needs, and truly amazing to realize how much I use food to satisfy other hungers (boredom, frustration, fear, general stress, etc.)
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #265
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I know that when we follow the JUDDD rotations and ADF, that it shouldn't matter what foods we eat. Right? However, this has always been a real dilemma in my case, because I know this to be true, but when I see how little calories that I am really eating avg 975 daily, then I feel obligated to only eat optimally. Does this make sense in light of how I am following PHD/JUDDD combo?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #266
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG! I LOVE your quote Kristin!

It fits me & you so well!
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know how I can tell PHD is agreeing with me??? I have been having some sort of loss every day even though my bounce isn't big following UD. I use to only weigh weekly, because I became weary of expecting losses, now I can see that my body likes this and is letting some of that stubborn fat go.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #268
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kristin, Are you doing the 8 hour window? Did you notice that it is helping tame the UUAD?

For instance, I know that I don't want to eat after the window because it will mess it up, so it is sort of like being at the fun tavern and hearing the keeper announce "closing time". I love that I am obeying it.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #269
Major LCF Poster!

This just keeps getting more and more interesting.

I lost another pound as of this morning. So that is 3 of the 8 gone. No suffering. Have decided to renourish today though I could have kept up with the potatoes easily. I am not trying to stay in a fasting window or do UDDDs, but the tater hack doesn't give you much protein so the body may still look at it as a type of fast. Eating to hunger the past few days has been quite low calorie for me, 1000-14000. It definately is a good damage control tool which I will use regularly, though I am not sure how much. I am thinking about protein and veggies until 4ish and potatoes only in the evening as that is when I usually have my bingy episodes. The potatoes really were effective in curbing that compulsion. Today I am going to aim for 1900 nurishing calories.

Side benefit. I decided to put a very little bit of malt vinegar in my water bottle instead of on my taters and found I love the resulting beverage as much as beer! Just need to remember to drink it at a sitting and follow with some method of removing it from my teeth as I fear the acid might damage them if sipped on all day.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #270
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Malt vinegar? Never would have thought about that in water? I do love the taste on fish and taters.

So thrilled to hear about the weight loss.

I love how we are all so different in tastebuds and cravings!