Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 03:54 PM   #1231
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Todays shopping coup included veal liver (not sure what I will do with it), pterostilbene. Have not found gluc except in capsule form. Is that what y'all are using?
I'm jealous of you for having veal liver, Cici.

Here's what I would do with it. Rinse under cold water, and place in bowl. Cover with milk and let soak for an hour, to draw out bitterness. (Don't worry about consuming carbs or calories from the milk; you'll drain it off.)
Peel and thinly slice a yellow onion. Cook the onion until soft in butter. Drain milk from liver, thinly slice, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute in butter along with the onions until outside is browned on both sides and just barely pink inside or until cooked through (whichever you prefer). Enjoy, and feel virtuously healthy eating it.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #1232
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Hi Svenskamae! I do love how you 'catch up"! Your job sounds so stressful, particularly working without natural light around. I would recommend one of those "sun lights" at your desk. They are are supposed to be very helpful for people who suffer from SAD. (and people who don't get to see the sun due to long working hours)...

Hope all you PHuds have a great week!
The sun light at work is a great idea, Blonde with a Rose! I'll look into that.

Love the PHud term, too.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #1233
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Todays shopping coup included veal liver (not sure what I will do with it), pterostilbene. Have not found gluc except in capsule form. Is that what y'all are using?
I use the powder gluc that I get from Netrition. I like it in Ouizoid's mix.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #1234
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 748
Gallery: picklepete
It's kind of strange how difficult it is to find liver. Old sitcoms have so many scenes of "aw, liver again?!"

In my Friday lunch I pack some bison liverwurst ($8/lb. at the co-op) and eat it on cucumber slices with egg salad. I've heard that US Wellness liverwurst is tasty too, I might order some.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #1235
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,997
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I love the liverwurst from US Wellness. I really thought I wouldn't like the taste. I used to take it frozen and swallow whole, but I have been making myself taste a small amount each day and now I want more.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #1236
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I love the liverwurst from US Wellness. I really thought I wouldn't like the taste. I used to take it frozen and swallow whole, but I have been making myself taste a small amount each day and now I want more.
Try having mustard with your liverwurst. I'm glad you've come to like it.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #1237
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
gotsomeold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Asheville, NC / Marietta, Ga
Posts: 3,755
Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiva View Post
Does everyone here eat potatoes? I tried to about 2 weeks ago (3 days in a row, 1 medium tater each day), and I'm still dealing with the weight gain from it. So for now, I'm sticking to Dr Cate Shanahan's version of the perfect health diet (she calls it 4 pillars): bone broths, fermented foods, some raw veggies each day, and organ meats; about 30 to 70 grams of carbs a day (Dr Cate rarely recommends carb levels higher than 70 gm a day); and plenty of good fats. She doesn't warn against pork products, and from reading that series, the biggest issues seem related to potential pathogens. I'm reasonably confident that good cooking probably reduces that risk, so while I'll skip the prosciutto and pork sausages, I won't cut pork entirely out.
I am going to change my life-quote from "Life is a moving target" to "Life is a grand experiment".

After much of the above (experimenting) I have concluded the potato is one of the most remarkable brown lumps in existence. I cannot do the hack (eat potatoes only for several days) because it kicks off acid reflux and leads to weight gain for me. However, one potato meal a day (with a bit of butter) is, it is just .

Last Friday we made a quick trip to Atlanta. Included in the trip was a five course meal our BFFs decided to prepare. On the drive down, I had a Wendy's baked potato for lunch. Ate and drank whatever I wanted for dinn-dinn. Had another potato for lunch on the drive home Saturday. Dinner was another free-for-all. Net result? I lost a pound.

Tiva, if you want to try potatoes again, I encourage you to try my version of a mini-hack.
__________________
- Nancy
GOAL 10/3/12
Still at goal 2/6/13
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #1238
Senior LCF Member
 
mttemple4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
Gallery: mttemple4
SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY TODAY AT NOON!!!!!!

I am also one who cannot do the potato hack but is happily incorporating potatoes into 2-3 meals per day to good effect. Perhaps my blood sugar would normalize over time, as many have suggested, but the two times I have tried the hack had me reaching for bacon and eggs by 1pm at the latest. In my last attempt, I tested my blood sugar and saw 223 (!!!). I had gestational diabetes 8 years ago and so keep an eye on my sugars. They are completely fine when I eat the PHD way, but potatoes sans fat or much protein were nightmarish for me. I REALLY wanted to do it and, again, perhaps I just needed to stick it out a bit more, but ay yi yi! The way I felt was no bueno. I was not coming from a place of ultra low carbs either, so it wasn't a matter of physiological insulin resistance.


An important reminder for anyone with questions for Paul Jaminet!!! He will be doing an "ask me anything" at Reddit TODAY at noon. I'm not a seasoned Reddit-er by any means but I did read the Gary Taubes Reddit from a while back that Ouis was kind enough to mention. You can just pop in there and ask a question and he will answer on the spot, time permitting. Now is our chance!!!!!! The question I have for him is so long and ridiculous that I'm wondering if I should ask it on Reddit or in person when I go to his and Shou-Ching's talk this weekend.
__________________
Joyce

Last edited by mttemple4; 03-05-2013 at 05:24 AM..
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #1239
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I hope you are able to get an answer to your question, Joyce. Let us know how the Paul Jaminet and Shou-Ching's talk is.

Nancy, thanks for sharing about your potato meals. I think that's more feasible for me, long-term, than just potatoes all day. I've been having flavored tea with half and half, first thing in the morning and in the evening, but at least 4 hours removed from any potato consumption. I start feeling really deprived if I can't have that.

Sunday, has there been any response from the moderators about the possibility of a PHD separate area, and not just 1 thread? A compromise might be to start a new PHD thread for every month (e.g., "Perfect Health Diet for March"), which is what Kristn did for the Nutritional Ketosis thread when that got out of hand in length.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #1240
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,564
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm jealous of you for having veal liver, Cici.

Here's what I would do with it. Rinse under cold water, and place in bowl. Cover with milk and let soak for an hour, to draw out bitterness. (Don't worry about consuming carbs or calories from the milk; you'll drain it off.)
Peel and thinly slice a yellow onion. Cook the onion until soft in butter. Drain milk from liver, thinly slice, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute in butter along with the onions until outside is browned on both sides and just barely pink inside or until cooked through (whichever you prefer). Enjoy, and feel virtuously healthy eating it.
Thanks, I don't have milk but it is soaking in HWC in the fridge. I will cook it when I return from my interview.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #1241
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,564
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
1 capsule broken open and blended in your smoothie. Or you could just take a capsule with a full glass of water.

Here are excellent resources to learn from...

Glucomannan Recipes

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ucomannan.html

Ouiz OMM~
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...olate-omm.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I use the powder gluc that I get from Netrition. I like it in Ouizoid's mix.

Thank you for these ideas. I have been reluctant to purchase things online but after comparing prices with what I paid this week, may rethink that.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #1242
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 2,926
Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Thanks, I don't have milk but it is soaking in HWC in the fridge. I will cook it when I return from my interview.
I hope your interview goes very well, Cici!
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #1243
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I love the liverwurst from US Wellness. I really thought I wouldn't like the taste. I used to take it frozen and swallow whole, but I have been making myself taste a small amount each day and now I want more.
You've convinced me to try this. Yes, me!! Liver hater from way back when. How long does it keep once opened?Can you whack off part and freeze it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I am going to change my life-quote from "Life is a moving target" to "Life is a grand experiment".

After much of the above (experimenting) I have concluded the potato is one of the most remarkable brown lumps in existence. I cannot do the hack (eat potatoes only for several days) because it kicks off acid reflux and leads to weight gain for me. However, one potato meal a day (with a bit of butter) is, it is just .

Last Friday we made a quick trip to Atlanta. Included in the trip was a five course meal our BFFs decided to prepare. On the drive down, I had a Wendy's baked potato for lunch. Ate and drank whatever I wanted for dinn-dinn. Had another potato for lunch on the drive home Saturday. Dinner was another free-for-all. Net result? I lost a pound.

Tiva, if you want to try potatoes again, I encourage you to try my version of a mini-hack.
I agree with your new life quote!! i am going to try your way of potato hacking. Maybe I can handle that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
I am also one who cannot do the potato hack but is happily incorporating potatoes into 2-3 meals per day to good effect. Perhaps my blood sugar would normalize over time, as many have suggested, but the two times I have tried the hack had me reaching for bacon and eggs by 1pm at the latest. In my last attempt, I tested my blood sugar and saw 223 (!!!). I had gestational diabetes 8 years ago and so keep an eye on my sugars. They are completely fine when I eat the PHD way, but potatoes sans fat or much protein were nightmarish for me. I REALLY wanted to do it and, again, perhaps I just needed to stick it out a bit more, but ay yi yi! The way I felt was no bueno. I was not coming from a place of ultra low carbs either, so it wasn't a matter of physiological insulin resistance.


An important reminder for anyone with questions for Paul Jaminet!!! He will be doing an "ask me anything" at Reddit TODAY at noon. I'm not a seasoned Reddit-er by any means but I did read the Gary Taubes Reddit from a while back that Ouis was kind enough to mention. You can just pop in there and ask a question and he will answer on the spot, time permitting. Now is our chance!!!!!! The question I have for him is so long and ridiculous that I'm wondering if I should ask it on Reddit or in person when I go to his and Shou-Ching's talk this weekend.
Now I am wanting to know your question!! I am sure it is not ridiculous!

Last edited by sungoddess; 03-05-2013 at 08:47 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #1244
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sungoddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,172
Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I think you make an excellent point, Beverly. I try to choose very healthy foods (well, when I'm not potato hacking), but I eat a pretty darn low level of calories (maybe averaging 1000 per day) when I do JUDDD. So it can be hard to fit in enough of what we need. That was one of the things that made me reluctant to follow PHD; I couldn't see the starches/carbs (with the exception of non-starchy vegetables) being all that nutritionally valuable and filling; non-essential fats at least seemed very filling and allowed me to stay or approach ketosis. I'll have to re-evaluate all of this when I finish this round of potato hacking.
Let me know what you come up with. I am struggling with how to set up my macros at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Oops, I meant blowing up the gut. No, I have been adding a miniscule amount of gluc 1/4 tsp to my green smoothies to make them filling.
That is so funny. I was wondering what the heck that phrase meant!!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #1245
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,997
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Yes, I received word from Kathy. We will need to start a new PHD monthly until we have more LCF's following. I think if we have about 20 people who are steady posters, we may be able to get to that point.

March place for our PHD friends.

Perfect Health Diet - March

Love to hear from you Joyce! I have a question but fear I will not be able to get online.

Nancy, this is fantastic!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #1246
Senior LCF Member
 
mttemple4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
Gallery: mttemple4
Thanks, Sunday!


Beverly! I just posted my question. Lord help him. ha ha! You would think in all my years as an English major and teacher I could have learned to be less verbose. You would be wrong.

Here's what I asked:

Quote:
Hello Paul.
My husband and I love your book and blog and have been following the PHD. Many thanks to you and Shou-Ching for your dedication.
My question is about children's diets and, for lack of a better descriptor, choosing the lesser of two evils. From scouring your blog I've gathered that children naturally gravitate toward a lower protein and higher carb diet than the PHD recommends (I believe you've said 40% carb). Indeed this is the case with my 8-year-old daughter, who likely eats a much greater percentage of carbohydrate than even that and who is overweight (95th percentile). We've been refining her diet and moving her towards PHD in gradual steps. Fructose consumption is very low but actually has been for well over a year and the weight issue persists. We've been removing seed oils and are almost there save for a very small proportion (maybe 50 max?) of daily calories as canola oil (I know, I know!). We are having the most difficulty with wheat and finding a gluten-free pizza substitute that passes muster. While we will keep tweaking and working on this, I'd love to know your thoughts. Is a diet that's low in fructose, low to nil in seed oils, and yet features wheat likely to keep weight high? Even though in a perfect world we'd eliminate both, would you say it's most important to eliminate the seed oils rather than the wheat? Is it that the wheat will contribute to leaky gut etc. or is it that the gliadin stimulates her appetite? Or, is it simply that the percentage of carbohydrate is just too high--meaning that, for someone with (ahem) my genetics and a predisposition to obesity, would 60% of calories as, say, white potatoes affect weight similarly anyway? In short, is there such a thing as too high of a percentage of carbohydrate for children? Finally, do you have a percentage of protein recommendation for them?
Thank you for any advice you can offer--very very much appreciated! We are looking forward to seeing you in Philadelphia on Saturday, but I fear I could never remember such a long question in person!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #1247
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
ouizoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 3,518
Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Ha Joyce--I saw your post on the AMA before I came here today and knew it was you!! So glad he is doing it, and I hope he answers more questions. That first multipart question was a doozy.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM   #1248
Senior LCF Member
 
mttemple4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Ha Joyce--I saw your post on the AMA before I came here today and knew it was you!! So glad he is doing it, and I hope he answers more questions. That first multipart question was a doozy.
I know!! I saw that question and instantly felt better about mine.

I'm going to his talk this weekend but I figured there was no way to know if I would have time to ask that there. Plus I'd have to reveal to a whole room full of people how crazy I am and I am much more comfortable being an overthinker here. LOL!

My husband is now cracking up about Paul asking if our daughter eats liver. I can sneak it into a burger but she only wants burgers on fluffy wheat buns. We are a work in progress.

Last edited by mttemple4; 03-05-2013 at 10:07 AM..
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #1249
Major LCF Poster!
 
cici52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,564
Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm jealous of you for having veal liver, Cici.

Here's what I would do with it. Rinse under cold water, and place in bowl. Cover with milk and let soak for an hour, to draw out bitterness. (Don't worry about consuming carbs or calories from the milk; you'll drain it off.)
Peel and thinly slice a yellow onion. Cook the onion until soft in butter. Drain milk from liver, thinly slice, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute in butter along with the onions until outside is browned on both sides and just barely pink inside or until cooked through (whichever you prefer). Enjoy, and feel virtuously healthy eating it.
This was NOT my mother's liver! Really very good. Easy to do this once/week. I had it for breakfast. Feel like such a big girl.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #1250
Major LCF Poster!
 
Joyjoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,212
Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Hey, all you liver haters, do you also struggle with pâté?
I just found a few recipes. Can hardly wait. Good way to up the liver.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 PM   #1251
Major LCF Poster!
 
Babsbabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,032
Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Hey, all you liver haters, do you also struggle with pâté?
I just found a few recipes. Can hardly wait. Good way to up the liver.
Are you making your own pâté Kristin? Is it good? I do seem to have a little difficulty eating liver.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:09 PM   #1252
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
sunday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Heartland- smack dab in the middle
Posts: 4,997
Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Hey, all you liver haters, do you also struggle with pâté?
I just found a few recipes. Can hardly wait. Good way to up the liver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Are you making your own pâté Kristin? Is it good? I do seem to have a little difficulty eating liver.
Hello Kristin & Babs!

We have a new nesting place here Perfect Health Diet - March

I am loving liverwurst, so please share the pate recipe! I don't know how to make it, but will learn.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.