Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #1111
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/120/118-123
WOE: JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Also, I just made turkey broth and will be using that on my taters this week. I can't believe that I am thrilled to get started.
I would love to make some turkey broth. The problem is I can't find organic source for turkey. I don't think grasslandmeats sell turkey. Will need to look around.
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #1112
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Marika, Where are you located? Have you gone to the EAT WILD site? I located farms locally that way.

I am a turkey lover too. I choose turkey over chicken every time.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #1113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I love this youtube video by the Healthy Home Economist re: Homemade Salad Dressings and Mayo. So I wanted to share here.

I am going to make my own mayo using her recipe and will let you know how it tastes.

Salad Dressings and Basic Sauces - YouTube
Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #1114
Blabbermouth!!!

Sunday- I am in CT and I have access to local farm selling grass feed lamb and I am able to buy organic turkey breast locally, but can't find whole turkey with bones. I buy rabbit online.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #1115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post
Sunday- I am in CT and I have access to local farm selling grass feed lamb and I am able to buy organic turkey breast locally, but can't find whole turkey with bones. I buy rabbit online.
Marika, I will see if any of our organic farmers ship. I remember having rabbit as a child. My brothers were the family rabbit hunters.

I just did a search and found that Diestel Turkey Ranch ships to many local stores across the US. That is the brand that I made today, which is amazing. They sell these at Natural Grocers & Whole Foods. As well as many local grocers.

Also, there is Mary's Free Range Turkeys which are easy to locate in Central US.

Really, there are quite a few farmers, but they are very pricey. I guess turkeys may be so much more expensive because of the fact that you can't raise as many as you can chickens.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #1116
Blabbermouth!!!

Thank you so much Sunday. That's very nice of you to look up this info. I am always very content with my local lamb that I gave up the search for organic turkey. Thankfully I can still get nice Plainville Co turkey breast tenderloins.
I wish rabbit was more popular in US. I grew up in Europe, where rabbit was so easy to get. Amazingly, I never cared for it as a child, but now I am crazy for it. I made a delicious rabbit stew last night with onions, lots of garlic, bell peppers, turmeric and coriander
I think I will ask my WF to get Diestel Turkey Ranch.

I have a silly question: I have some rabbit bones left-over, but it feels kind of gross to make broth form them, since they have been licked. Would the bacteria get boiled when I cook it, or should I rinse the bones well before cooking.

My Journal: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...orward-11.html
Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #1117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobelowcarber View Post

I have a silly question: I have some rabbit bones left-over, but it feels kind of gross to make broth form them, since they have been licked. Would the bacteria get boiled when I cook it, or should I rinse the bones well before cooking.
Yes, it will! Don't worry because I thought the same thing! You know that the slow cooking for a long period is doing everything sanitary that needs to be done.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #1118
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Yes, it will! Don't worry because I thought the same thing! You know that the slow cooking for a long period is doing everything sanitary that needs to be done.
Oh great, glad to read this. I will be making some nice rabbit broth next week and I am sure the house will smell better than with lamb bones
Old 02-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #1119
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
I just did a search and found that Diestel Turkey Ranch ships to many local stores across the US. That is the brand that I made today, which is amazing. They sell these at Natural Grocers & Whole Foods. As well as many local grocers.

Also, there is Mary's Free Range Turkeys which are easy to locate in Central US.

Really, there are quite a few farmers, but they are very pricey. I guess turkeys may be so much more expensive because of the fact that you can't raise as many as you can chickens.
My son used to raise turkeys for his 4-H projects. you would not believe how much those birds eat. We could have fed out a steer for the same amount of feed. I would like to get a few turkeys and raise them for next year's holidays. I love to make turkey broth and freeze it.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #1120
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adillenal View Post
My son used to raise turkeys for his 4-H projects. you would not believe how much those birds eat. We could have fed out a steer for the same amount of feed. I would like to get a few turkeys and raise them for next year's holidays. I love to make turkey broth and freeze it.
Adi, Do you know if there is a rule about turkey broth and how long to keep it before freezing? I worry more about it than the other broths.
I bet turkeys would be fun to raise.

I have my homemade tater soup ready for today. Looking forward to hearing what the other tater gang is eating.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #1121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
At least for the moment, I am doing plain taters, gently cooked yesterday, reheated, a little salt. Trying to instigate blood sugar flux enough to kick the insulin/fat pulling response. Think I succeeded with my first tater early this morning as now I am shaky and eating my 2nd one. At this rate I might have to go buy more potatos. If the BS bounces get too uncomfortable, I may switch to cold taters or add vinegar. I am really excited about this as the scales have me back up to my bounce weight again. I have been eating quite a lot during the nourishing period of PHD, probably a little over maintenance calories consistently, so the gain is probably not all water. Hope to see it disappear as easily as it appeared.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #1122
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Quote:
Adi, Do you know if there is a rule about turkey broth and how long to keep it before freezing? I worry more about it than the other broths.
I bet turkeys would be fun to raise.

I have my homemade tater soup ready for today. Looking forward to hearing what the other tater gang is eating.
I do not really know since I freeze mine as soon as I make it. Turkey broth is my go to for soup bases all year from my freezer stash.

And I am doing a potato DD with cold boiled Yukon Golds with a little salt. Love those things. I dig through the display to find the bags with the smallest potatoes.YUM!!

Last edited by adillenal; 02-25-2013 at 08:27 AM..
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 AM   #1123
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/145.8/145
Start Date: March 2012
Sounds like a great plan Cici. I have been including potatoes into a lot of my meals already so for these few days I am interested to see what happens when I eat them on there own with no sugar, no oil condiments. I hope the BS bounces become more comfortable for you soon. I noticed the first time that I did the hack I had BS issues but I don't think I have as strong of a reaction anymore.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #1124
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, Wonder if cold would work better or at least slightly cool until your body is used to the change?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #1125
Major LCF Poster!

I am not really worried about the BS phenomenon as it was breakfast day 1 and am pretty sure this will normalize quickly.

I was reading Chris Voight's website this morning and was interested to see he added fats (about 2T/day) based on the need for EFAs not provided by potatoes. Was also interested to see how much nutrition is actually in potatoes at the level of 20/day he was eating.

I am in the chapter on fat in PHD today so will be paying attention to how much is needed and how long one can go without.

Happy tatering to all.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #1126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

cici, I have always used some fat, less than tbsp for my taters. I believe Ouiz does as well. For instance, the roasted rosemary reds are spritzed with oo. I pour broth on my mashed taters, which has some fat.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #1127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I am in the chapter on fat in PHD today so will be paying attention to how much is needed and how long one can go without.

Happy tatering to all.
John McDougall believes you need NO fat, ever. That you can get all your body needs from fruits, whole grains and starchy veggies. He doesn't even recommend nuts. Just sayin'. There's a lot of differing ideas regarding fat.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #1128
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Blonde. To say there are a lot of differing ideas is an understatement to be sure. That is one of my biggest hangups. With all the different things tried (you and I have been on a lot of the same threads), it is hard not to get the chemistry confused by combining rules from different plans. Wouldn't it be nice if all the scientists agreed.

I agree that there definately is some fat in most foods. Potatoes are not one of them and I am doing a potato hack so that is why I was checking it out. Actually, if I understand Jaminet correctly, he's saying it would take months of zero fat consumption to get a deficiency in the EFAs so it is not a worry.

But then reading through the carb area he talks about carbs over a certain point being toxic so wondering if you have to cap potato consumption at 800 calories while hacking. Actually, I think Jaminet would probably not support the potato hack as contributing to perfect health but maybe as a no harm done example.

Am I just overthinking this?

Last edited by cici52; 02-25-2013 at 04:33 PM..
Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #1129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I overdid the potatoes last week, don't really want to look at one for a while.
This week is just turkey, butternut squash, and green beans.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #1130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Had a really good weigh-in this morning. -2.2
I will wait until Friday when tater hack is done, to see if this sticks. Kind of hate to jinx it, because my body likes to do it's own thing. Feel really good except that I slept too long to get my exercise in this morn.

Pete, do you lose weight on the tater hack? Just wondering. I see so many men doing well with it on the other paleo sites.

Last edited by sunday; 02-26-2013 at 07:03 AM..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #1131
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Hi, Blonde. To say there are a lot of differing ideas is an understatement to be sure. That is one of my biggest hangups. With all the different things tried (you and I have been on a lot of the same threads), it is hard not to get the chemistry confused by combining rules from different plans. Wouldn't it be nice if all the scientists agreed.

I agree that there definately is some fat in most foods. Potatoes are not one of them and I am doing a potato hack so that is why I was checking it out. Actually, if I understand Jaminet correctly, he's saying it would take months of zero fat consumption to get a deficiency in the EFAs so it is not a worry.

But then reading through the carb area he talks about carbs over a certain point being toxic so wondering if you have to cap potato consumption at 800 calories while hacking. Actually, I think Jaminet would probably not support the potato hack as contributing to perfect health but maybe as a no harm done example.

Am I just overthinking this?
Maybe, a little...but isn't that how we learn? I'm all for eating food that I love and still losing weight. That's my favorite scenario!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I overdid the potatoes last week, don't really want to look at one for a while.
This week is just turkey, butternut squash, and green beans.
Ah, butternut squash..my new favorite food. I've been eating this three or more times a week for several weeks. It is divine.

Quote:
Had a really good weigh-in this morning. -2.2
I will wait until Friday when tater hack is done, to see if this sticks. Kind of hate to jinx it, because my body likes to do it's own thing. Feel really good except that I slept too long to get my exercise in this morn.

Pete, do you lose weight on the tater hack? Just wondering. I see so many men doing well with it on the other paleo sites.
Congrats on the loss! It'll stick. Some very wise people told me if the scale goes there, it's yours to keep. It may bounce a bit but it's yours!

I haven't had any potatoes for a few days but I've been eating butternut squash and some white rice with my dinner. This is such a comforting way to eat!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #1132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Blonde, my thought is that this isn't really that difficult.
I guess if I tried to throw this in at least once per week until it quits working? Just thinking out loud.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #1133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree, as long as you're enjoying it and it's working! What could be better?
Old 02-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #1134
Major LCF Poster!

Nice loss, Sunday.

I was -1, but after my a.m. potato, did not feel up to continuing for another day so back to PHD. Started to get a migraine and was very weepy for no apparent reason. It may have nothing to do with the potatoes as I have had some protein since then and still feel kind of wonky.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #1135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I hope I don't sound like I'm beating a dead horse but I just need to say again, that wheat was a huge influence on my emotions. Up down, up down...I'm not saying you're eating wheat either, it's that I never thought about it until I stopped. It could put me in the pits.

I could only hack one full day of the Hack...
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #1136
Major LCF Poster!

Don't know what ot was. No wheat since early November. Funny you should mention it. I was cryong im the bakery dept today. Wanted some so bad. No proceszed food here so dont think iy snuck in eitjer. I cam't touch wheAt. Podt from phone. Sorry..
Old 02-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #1137
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't understand either? I am very sorry.

I just read an article about our beneficial gut bacteria and that it may play a role in fighting obesity. Which this goes along with Jaminet's topic in the PHD as well.

Quote:
Physiologists have long known that our intestines are brimming with live bacteria, some of which provide important substances (e.g., vitamin B-12) to their host. However, research conducted over the last decade suggests that these organisms, often referred to as intestinal microbiota, may play a far greater role in human health than previously imagined. One area of intense interest is the possibility that the mix of intestinal bacteria with which we are endowed might directly influence our risk for obesity. Obese individuals tend to have different microbial profiles in their intestines than lean individuals, and scientists have learned that the bacteria common to obesity may metabolize the food we eat in a way that allows us to harvest more calories from it and deposit those calories as fat.
Read more at: Gut organisms could be clue in controlling obesity risk
Old 02-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #1138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

cici the taters are supposed to be anti-depressant according to the book on Potatoes Not Prozac. I think so many can't do the tater hack more than one day and I may be one that struggles tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #1139
Major LCF Poster!

I have the book. The evening potato following a few hours after protein signals the release of tryptophan which was in the protein but unavailable due to stronger aminos blocking its uptake. No protein, no aminos, no tryptophan to release. I didn't think of this but it could explain the emotional day.

Actually my counter says I had 24g proteein.Pp

Last edited by cici52; 02-26-2013 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #1140
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
I tried it twice for a 5-day period each time. First one I lost 4 lb, second one I lost 3 lb, but with an increasing toll on the mind. Really foul, despairing moods in the afternoon.

Quote:
I just read an article about our beneficial gut bacteria and that it may play a role in fighting obesity.
I think Ian Spreadbury's article on this is free to read now. I think he's really on to something about powder and liquid calories having a different digestive pathway that bypasses the normal satiety buttons and tampers with the brain-gut nerve connection.

If true it would explain some of the high-carb/healthy data points around the world. In 2013 America, virtually all of our "carb" is flour or fried potato so it's no mystery why VLC is at least a partial improvement.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote