Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #1021
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Pickled Pete, I have been meaning to tell you that I love your siggie.

I can so relate to Mr. Banting.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #1022
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
sunday--not sure if he outright recommends the Eikhorn, but says it is the grain of our forefathers and is not GMO or made in a lab. So if you insist on doing a grain, you should go for that one. I am so used to almond flour and coconut flour I won't seek it out, but just wanted to point you in the direction to find it if anyone was interested in buying it/trying it/using it.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #1023
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Dawn. I have yet to make my homemade gluten free pizza crust or cookies. I am quite anxious to try it though.

I woke up today w/ good news scale wise. I am not bouncing any more. The whole up/down is fading. This means that weight loss will be a bit different with PHD or at least in my case. I think I may be one who will lose very slowly no matter which way I eat, but it feels so much better to not worry about the hidden toxins that were kicking my butt previously.

Joined the gym, so I am making myself give the weight lifting another go. I am still enjoying the Kettlebells and feel like that is helping also.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #1024
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
sunday--watch it if you are dealing with adrenal issues. My doctor wanted me to stop doing my weight resistance exercises when she diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue. It is too stressing for the body. She had me walk daily instead. I was a bit disappointed, but followed her recommendation. Not sure which hormonal issues you are dealing with, but thought I would throw it out there.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 AM   #1025
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning, friends. This thread has been moving at lightning speed while I have been without a connection. I actually can get on with my phone but just read as typing is way too difficult.

Picked up the book yesterday from the library so am hunkered down to read. Not sure when I will be on line again. Have fun.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #1026
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: tiva
Stats: 5"6", 157/136/135, 53 yo
WOE: Paleo/Whole30
Start Date: 12/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
I did a 90 minute skate ski. Skate skiing is the crazy dervish of all aerobic activities....
This, at 51 years old and mid-menopause.
Another 51 year old menopausal skate skier! 90 minutes would be a LOT for me (our trails are hilly here in Sweden--how's that for an excuse, eh?) I just do 40 minutes to an hour a few days a week, and classic ski or hike in the snow the other days. It's addictive.

I still can't bring myself to add starches, however--every time I try, I bloat up like a balloon and it hurts. So I guess I'm doing the less-than-perfect diet, but that's cool.
tiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:51 AM   #1027
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
tiva--if it is at all encouragiing--the bloat and pain seem to be temporary adaptations. If you hang in there, it tends to come off and the pain goes away. I really do understand how people get avoidant of the starches because of this initial response. I feel the same way because it happens to me every single time I redo the taterhack. However, it seems to be an adaptation
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #1028
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouiz, This is the reason that I decided to do a small amount of taters every day even when not hacking. It seems to keep my metabolism fine tuned the safe starch way.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #1029
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Tiva, some of that ninety minutes is spent sightseeing, usually half way up a hill, waiting for my heart rate to recover. I'm addicted too.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #1030
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 61
WOE: One Meal A Day - PHD Style
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
My self-experimentation with potatoes is so fascinating!

There is a fail-proof, repeating phenomena correlation for me as follows:
Eating only potatoes for dinner without protein or fat, said potato-eating occurring at least 4 hours after a meal with fat and/or protein, and nothing else to eat after dinner, I sleep so much better than usual, I can't believe it!

Better than I ever have slept in my entire life!

I have been having potatoes every day for quite a few weeks now, and am loving them so much. But eating them in the evening like this is like heaven for someone like me who usually never sleeps very deeply or very long at a time.

Last night I had cold boiled red potatoes with a little mustard and a Bubbies dill pickle. I seem to be able to add things like this to eat with the potatoes, presumably because there's no fat or protein to interfere with the magic.

Today, I decided to try and see what was happening physiologically with this phenomena, and there is plenty of info out there. This ARTICLE seems to point to something that could explain this noticeable improvement in my sleep and, now that I think about it, in my overall mood. In a word (or two), it seems to be about tryptophan and serotonin.

Oh, the wonders of the incredible, edible potato!
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #1031
Junior LCF Member

I decided to post again, so that I will hit my 20th post. I'm anxious to see if I can add a signature now.

Others are mentioning their ages, so I decided to put my age in my profile stats. I turned 60 last Sept. I love getting "older," especially now that I know my modus operandi seems to be remaining active, youthful, and healthy, and feeling pretty damn good!

I'm so happy I've discovered a WOE that seems to be perfectly suited to my plans of continuing this graceful aging thing!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #1032
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
tiva--if it is at all encouragiing--the bloat and pain seem to be temporary adaptations. If you hang in there, it tends to come off and the pain goes away. I really do understand how people get avoidant of the starches because of this initial response. I feel the same way because it happens to me every single time I redo the taterhack. However, it seems to be an adaptation
Interesting! After 10 years of low carb primal, I'm honestly scared to add back in starches. I've been making bone broths, eating lots of coconut, & fermenting veggies ever since reading Nourishing Traditions a decade ago. But I'm still frightened that taters will make me fat again.

But for tomorrow night's roasted veggies, I'll toss in some sweet potatoes.

(I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only skate skier who needs to admire the view frequently. In Sweden, kids start skiing in the womb and they are all so fast. I am constantly getting passed on all the trails, which makes me feel slowwwww. But I can't complain, because literally outside my apartment door in this northern city, there are 30 km of great trails in a lovely forest)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:12 AM   #1033
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
Eating only potatoes for dinner without protein or fat, said potato-eating occurring at least 4 hours after a meal with fat and/or protein, and nothing else to eat after dinner, I sleep so much better than usual, I can't believe it!

Better than I ever have slept in my entire life!

I have been having potatoes every day for quite a few weeks now, and am loving them so much. But eating them in the evening like this is like heaven for someone like me who usually never sleeps very deeply or very long at a time.
OK, that's enough to make me try to get over the bloating. I'd love to sleep really deeply again.

Do sweet potatoes work?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:16 AM   #1034
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
I decided to post again, so that I will hit my 20th post. I'm anxious to see if I can add a signature now.

Others are mentioning their ages, so I decided to put my age in my profile stats. I turned 60 last Sept. I love getting "older," especially now that I know my modus operandi seems to be remaining active, youthful, and healthy, and feeling pretty damn good!

I'm so happy I've discovered a WOE that seems to be perfectly suited to my plans of continuing this graceful aging thing!

Thanks for the link Blue. I am impressed with how much this has improved your sleep. For me, I see an improvement in my mood! The power of the potato.

I also turned 60 in September and am happy to find this plan!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #1035
Major LCF Poster!

I turned 60 in Sept., too. Always thought New Years 1952 must have been a good time as ther are lots of Sept babies our age.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #1036
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I turned 60 in Sept., too. Always thought New Years 1952 must have been a good time as there are lots of Sept babies our age.
That is so funny! Anyone on the 26th??
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #1037
Major LCF Poster!

Is skate skiing the same as cross country skiing?
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #1038
Major LCF Poster!

27th
Old 02-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #1039
Junior LCF Member

29th. We're all Libras!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:15 AM   #1040
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Patty,
I don't even know where to begin with this thought, and I might not even try if it weren't you, but here goes:
I think our fat identity is just that, an identity. Ego. Mind. Whatever you want to call it. Nothing to do with who we really are.
I think most of our dieting attempts are just other identities that we breathe life into, hoping they'll be stronger than our fat identities. Hence the enthusiasm devoted to research, the cheering sections, etc.
It's still identity vs identity, which is a losing proposition. For many of us, it continues to build push/pull resistance that manifests as bodies that will not budge.
It's funny. Often there's a honeymoon, right? The diet feels like freedom. We lose weight.
Then resistance builds again and we stall. And we look for another diet, aka another path to freedom.
I suspect we're never free till we lose the identities altogether. Until we pay more attention to who we really are than to the whacked ego stuff (weight included).
And I hope that when we remember who we really are, that what we eat becomes obvious and natural.

My two metaphysical cents. They probably don't belong here, but I'm always wondering about this and your comments, coming from you, made me wonder again.
Back to our regular programming.
Well said Kristin! I had to repost.

I've been sick with a head cold and just finished catching up on the last several pages. Seeing some new (to me) names, I want to say all newcomers.

Just a thought~ after being wheat free for a few months I dabbled a bit here and there culminating with 1/2 grilled cheese on sour dough on Sunday. We were all out and the food selection wasn't good. I had been kinda tired that day already. Long story short I woke up Monday morning feeling weak and exhausted, by Monday night I was sick with a stuffed up and running nose. I went through a whole box of tissue. No fever, just weak and a miserable head cold. I don't know if this was triggered by eating wheat a few times (just a small amount) but I'm staying away from the stuff. I let myself get goaded into to it by my DD who said "Why are being ridiculous (avoiding wheat)?? You don't have celiacs"! My own fault.

I turned 57 in January. Interesting that it takes so long to get past the glamor and go for the health. Loving the potatoes, and white rice (not a lot of that). I found smoked oysters in olive oil but haven't tried them yet. I can't smell anything so my appetite is non-existent.

For what seems like the hundredth time, I love this thread.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #1041
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
I was losing great then just stopped, went up, went down, stayed the same, over the last few days. heres to hoping I start moving downwards again tomorrow. Im feeling good though, so that's something. Time to see it reflected on the scales, I have lots to lose!
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #1042
Major LCF Poster!

Cici, skate skiing is one kind of cross country skiing. It looks a bit like rollerblading with its V motion.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #1043
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would be in heaven if I could ski for my daily exercise. It is so wonderfully healthy. Kristin, your place looks like it is on a lake? Do you also fish? kayak? or sail?
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #1044
Major LCF Poster!

Blue, would your potatoes have the same effect with fat and/or protein? Or have you tried those and not had the same good sleep? (I love my potatoes with butter at night.)
Sunday, we live on a lake in a crazy old cottage. During winter it's a sport just getting up the driveway to the road. It's a sport trying to stay warm.
I snowshoe and ski - hadn't done much of either for years before moving here, so it's challenging. And I can hardly wait to get my kayak out this summer. It's been a year or two and I LOVE that.
No fishing, but an elderly neighbour (like a Katherine Hepburn -sp?) has said that I can go with her and just drink while she fishes. Sounds good to me.
The swimming is also good, here, so I'll have a whack at that.
It's a beautiful life so far.
All good as long as my writing sells and I find the odd acting gig.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 02-21-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #1045
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

K, I have a tbsp of butter/co pretty often with my taters. Maybe we need to be careful only when doing the "hack" to restrict to just taters? I have been having mashed taters w/ bb and can't seem to make myself try it any other way. I admit I am obsessed with it!

I love to hear your stories about this beautiful place. Something tells me your literary works will sell very well too.

I had to come and share something new that I tried this evening that was chocolate decadence! We have been discussing desserts and what to do for our sweet tooth and I remember seeing this on PHD site about the coconut milk chocolate mousse. If you have a chance to read "Chocolate Covered Katie", she has some of the easiest gluten free and paleo type of deserts I have ever seen.

Chocolate Mousse Shots
(Only 4 ingredients)

Organic Thai Kitchen Canned Coconut Milk, Cocoa Powder, Vanilla Extract, Stevia/Erithytol.

Step 1 - Place canned coconut in fridge for one hour.

Step 2 - Open can. You will notice the hardened coconut cream will be on top. Spoon it into a bowl. Any liquid in bottom of can should be tossed. It will be very thick and solid. If it isn't something went awry. Whip the coconut cream with 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp of cocoa and stevia/erithytol to taste. Add vanilla extract and it is finished! I ate some and then froze the rest for coconut cocoa ice cream.

Final product will look like this!

Last edited by sunday; 02-21-2013 at 07:16 PM..
Old 02-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #1046
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
OMG Sunday, I want to jump through my computer directly into that picture of chocolate coconut yumminess and do an open-mouthed backstroke! thanks for the recipe!
--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #1047
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great photo Sunday. You have skills! Reminds me of a malted milk from my childhood days. Yum
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #1048
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
My self-experimentation with potatoes is so fascinating!

There is a fail-proof, repeating phenomena correlation for me as follows:

Today, I decided to try and see what was happening physiologically with this phenomena, and there is plenty of info out there. This ARTICLE seems to point to something that could explain this noticeable improvement in my sleep and, now that I think about it, in my overall mood.
Blue, how long before bed do you eat your potato dinner? I went to your link, and she suggests eating 3 meals with protein during the day, then waiting 3 hours and then having a potato just before bed. I like your idea better: 2 meals, wait 4 hours, then dinner of a potato.

I got back to goal today (!! It took months--I had quickly gained weight when I got to Sweden, even though I was exercising a lot and not eating much non LC food, except for a lot of dark chocolate and dried fruits on backpacking and kayaking trips). So I'm ready to slowly add in nightly potatoes.

My rough goals for maintenance are:
-combined protein + carbs of at least 150 grams, which would usually mean 75 g protein and 75 g carbs a day
-75 to 100 g of fat a day
-include an evening potato dinner each day, 4 hours after my last protein
Old 02-22-2013, 04:19 AM   #1049
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

tiva, I would love to be in Sweden! Winter wonderland! Have you lived there long?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:43 AM   #1050
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Tiva. When you first add potatoes be prepared for bloating and scale gain. This is temporary. It will come off again. You probably already knew this but going from low carb potatoes can cause initial bloat
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote