Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #931
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
I think fingerlings are any baby potato - just very small so probably not much time for the toxins to get in. We buy the baby reds and eat them whole. Hope that is OK.

Would organically grown have the same problem?
Seabreezes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #932
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Toxins in the skins. I really hate this, because I absolutely adore tater skins.

I think it talks about this here.

Whole Health Source: Paleolithic Diet Clinical Trials Part IV

Whole Health Source: Potatoes and Human Health, Part II
Sunday, you are the BEST! Thank you buckets and buckets of peeled potatoes for all the information, you are so very kind and generous with your time and resources. Big non-toxic tater hugs to you, and wish me luck on my hack!

--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #933
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I think fingerlings are any baby potato - just very small so probably not much time for the toxins to get in. We buy the baby reds and eat them whole. Hope that is OK.

Would organically grown have the same problem?
Thanks! I agree that this is good. I would think organic would be the best and most important in root veggies. If you think about how many toxins could seep into the earth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Sunday, you are the BEST! Thank you buckets and buckets of peeled potatoes for all the information, you are so very kind and generous with your time and resources. Big non-toxic tater hugs to you, and wish me luck on my hack!

--patty
Patty, I love having your input here and wishing you a great tater day this President's Day!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #934
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
I saw fingerlings in our local store but did not like the shape of them. Reminded me of a bag of fingers hence the name.
Quote from Wikipedia
A fingerling potato is a small, stubby, finger-shaped type of potato which may be any heritage potato cultivars. Fingerlings are varieties that naturally grow small and narrow. They are fully mature when harvested and are not to be confused with new potatoes. Popular fingerling potatoes include the yellow-skinned Russian Banana, the orange-skinned French, and the Purple Peruvian. Due to their size and greater expense compared to other potatoes, fingerlings are commonly either halved and roasted as a side dish or used in salads.
181.0/168.0/145 07/25/11 The Rice Diet
181.4/179.0/145 Atkins 72 10/31/11
180/132/139 JUDDD 01/01/2011
157/148/139 JUDDD 07/28/2014
158/152/139 JUDDD 10/28/2014
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:26 AM   #935
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Hi, Adi. You are looking beautiful in your new avi. Thanks for the info.

Talking of potatoes, this morning, cooking potatoes, I thought maybe adding vinegar to the cooking water might pull some of the toxins out. Went looking on the internet and found a physician who talked in detail of the acid/alkaline factor in digesting and getting the most nutrients from food. His site does not appear to sell anything. You can google drkaslow to find his site. His premise for specific food combining rules (fast and dirty version) is based on meat and fat requiring acid environment and high carbs requiring alkaline environment so should not be eaten together. Since I have not reached any point of feeling healed yet, I thought I would try separating PHD foods into the recommended groups to see if that changed anything. Specific to the potatoes and other starches, eating them with anything acid like vinegar (as we do to slow the GL) would minimize the absorption of nutrients as well. Something interesting to consider.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #936
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Adi, another tater lover! Yes, she looks so trim and fit.

Cici, Yes, this is very interesting. I will look this up later. I have now become obsessed with the research on Resistent Starch and health benefits. I can't believe I shunned the tater for so long.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #937
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: adillenal
Thanks CiCi and Sunday. I reached goal and decided to select a llower goal and keep on keeping on. I am trying to incorporate more whole foods and get my diet where it should be.
Next trip to the grocery store will involve a fingerling purchase. For some reason I thought they were new potatoes but even though they are expensive for such a few taters, I like to try different potatoes and I might as well get these since my local store has them.
adillenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #938
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Hello Potato Lovers! As always I'm enjoying the boundless information on this thread. Welcome to all newcomers (if I missed anyone)!

Been feeling a bit puny the last few days. Just finished up antibiotics for a UTI, and my tummy is messed up pretty good. And~ not one to learn by osmosis, I intentionally ate a hamburger on a wheat bun and have been suffering since. All this talk of the lovely potatoes makes me want to do a mini-hack...maybe my tummy will feel better. I called out sick to and went back to bed...slept for hours. I guess I needed it.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #939
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, Hope you are feeling better soon! Sleep is important and taters too.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #940
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
Oh great, another gigantic thread to read if I can find the time. Thanks for the invite Sunday :P

Got invited here by sunday in another thread and am currently falling in love with my new best friend the Potato.

I saw some pretty unreal numbers the first few days and am really excited to see where this takes me.

Oh yeah if you cant tell, I am feeling great

X
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #941
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
This may amount to a drive-by. Sorry for vanishing - unexpected (but deeply beloved) friends arrived last Friday and headed home late yesterday. Tomorrow we begin a trip to visit family in San Fransisco. Once upon a time, aeons ago, I think I actually had time to research and share information...maybe someday that magic will come again.

Sunday, yes, I laughed through the discussion about microwaving foods. DH went out of town for three weeks a few years ago...he forgot to tell me the microwave had stopped working - assumed I would notice and get it fixed. He returned to a broken microwave and a DW (me) who looked puzzled: how would I know that?

The theory of eat starches with fats and greens but no protein, eat protein with fats and greens but no starches has been around a looooong time. I tend to eat protein with meal one and starches with meal two. I think it does help my digestion.

Blonde! Sympathies for the UTI. I have two of them in my life and they wasted me both times.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:29 AM   #942
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Hey Nancy, thanks! I have long suffered UTI's, once getting a full blown kidney infection. Not fun my friend. My round of antibiotics along with the UTI threw me out of whack...now I have a cold (or I'm suffering from a very small amount of "wheat consumption"). It does feel like a cold and I'm semi-miserable right now. Last night's dinner was potatoes and fat free Greek yogurt. Very comforting. Didn't sleep well due to the runny nose, called out at work today and I'm going to take it easy. Sipping chicken broth...not homemade but still tastes good!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #943
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/150.2/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - Sept 2014
[quote=gotsomeold;16266953]This may amount to a drive-by. Sorry for vanishing - unexpected (but deeply beloved) friends arrived last Friday and headed home late yesterday. Tomorrow we begin a trip to visit family in San Fransisco. Once upon a time, aeons ago, I think I actually had time to research and share information...maybe someday that magic will come again.

This cracked me up Nancy!!! I love your way with words. You are forever putting a smile on my face. Between kids (DD turned 3 yesterday and DS who turns 13 on Saturday ) not to mention hubby - researching and sharing information is limited sometimes even non existant . I thank all my friends here, I want to call you JUDDD BUDDDS but that just wont do who give their time and share information. Yup that's you Sunday!!! Your passion and knowledge are so appreciated. Thank you!

The Bone Broth is done. I ended up straining the vegetables out so it was just broth and meat. I gave the dog some of the fattier and "questionable" pieces of meat along with some broth. She certainly loved it! I enjoyed my first bowl of broth with about 150 grams of potatoes...I can't believe how good it was. Who knew ? And thanks for the info regarding the microwave, I did reheat on the stove instead.

For my second serving which I had around dinner time. I was inspired by the meal plans in the book I started with about a cup of broth in a pot. To that I added spaghetti squash, handful of spinach, sweet potatoes and a bit of crumbled sausage. So satisfying!

Happy Tuesday everyone! Feels like Monday here as yesterday was "Family Day" which is a stat holiday here. Perfect for DD's birthday.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ogether-4.html
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:32 AM   #944
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

PHUD BUDDs?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 AM   #945
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I really don't think I buy the microwave business. I did a little websearch and that letter to Lancet was the only reference I could find to something happening to the proteins--and a ton of skepticism about the claim is out there. To each his own of course, but at least at the office I am still going to be nuking my taters and broth, ha!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #946
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Blonde- I am really sorry you are going through this. Having had lots of UTI's in my life, I only know too well. Do take it easy. Sip that healing broth and replenish the bacteria the antibiotics killed with some good fermented foods!

Hope- enjoy your wonderful broth. Nancy reminded me about giving the broth to dogs. If you used garlic or onions in the making of the broth, the wee tail-waggers shouldn't eat it. I don't put those in my broth because the dog would be too sad to not have some. Just a heads up, as I was reminded on this thread about it.

Nancy- you busy traveling gal!!! I want to be you when I am your age. Oh wait... I AM your age. Enjoy the trip. I know you don't need my permission! Send me a postcard. Do people still do that?

Ouiz- I am kind of glad you said that about the microwave. Sometimes you just need to use it.

Hi to all of you on the path to perfect health!
I am really embracing this lifestyle. The 16/8 is now a habit and I find it easy now. Stopping eating at 7:00 PM really cuts my calories. I bought some chocolate covered brazil nuts, to get my selenium in, and they are tasty. I've added safe starches in on a daily basis and love them. I drink my coconut kefir and kombucha and I love those as well. I've avoided the wheat. The hardest thing has been avoiding the omega-6 oils because it is hard to eat at someone's house or at a restaurant and avoid it.
For now, my cravings are under control. I hope, I hope, I hope this stays! And dare I say... I am feeling better with more energy. A good sign. As Paul said, not feeling the hunger is a sign of healing. And I am feeling no hunger!! woo hoo

Now I am patiently (not) waiting for the scale to start moving downward again.

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-19-2013 at 09:35 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #947
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Blonde- I am really sorry you are going through this. Having had lots of UTI's in my life, I only know too well. Do take it easy. Sip that healing broth and replenish the bacteria the antibiotics killed with some good fermented foods!
Agree!

Quote:
Hope- enjoy your wonderful broth. Nancy reminded me about giving the broth to dogs. If you used garlic or onions in the making of the broth, the wee tail-waggers shouldn't eat it. I don't put those in my broth because the dog would be too sad to not have some. Just a heads up, as I was reminded on this thread about it.
Hope, I didn't realize you have pups, but I have to say that my babies the broth so much. I wait till the broth is almost done to add veggies, but before I add the veggies, I pour out a jarful for the dogs. They don't know what to think about having broth with small bits of lamb liver.

Quote:
Hi to all of you on the path to perfect health!
I am really embracing this lifestyle. The 16/8 is now a habit and I find it easy now. Stopping eating at 7:00 PM really cuts my calories. I bought some chocolate covered brazil nuts, to get my selenium in, and it is good. I've added safe starches and love them. I drink my coconut kefir and kombucha and I love it. I've avoided the wheat. The hardest thing has been avoiding the omega-6 oils because it is hard to eat at someone's house or at a restaurant and avoid it.
For now, my cravings are under control
. I hope, I hope, I hope this stays!

Now I am patiently (not) waiting for the scale to start moving downward again.
I am seeing small movement downward, but would like to wait until Sat to give the official. I can't believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I really don't think I buy the microwave business. I did a little websearch and that letter to Lancet was the only reference I could find to something happening to the proteins--and a ton of skepticism about the claim is out there. To each his own of course, but at least at the office I am still going to be nuking my taters and broth, ha!
Thanks Quiz, I really panicked when I read that on WAP. I will continue to heat my broth on the stove, but heat my taters in the micro.

I did some more research about standing in front of the microwave, because I was a bit concerned about the grandsons and it seems the newer microwaves are made much better and don't leak much radiation.

Here is the best explanation I have found so far~

Quote:
Microwaves emit microwave radiation, which is a form of non-ionizing radiation. Non-ionizing types of radiation are not very harmful to people in small doses, and they do not cause radiation sickness or cell damage like ionizing forms of radiation.

Physicists consider microwaves, and the other non-ionizing forms of radiation, to be low energy electromagnetic radiation. These types of electromagnetic radiation only cause burns from high doses of exposure.

There is a consensus that most forms of non-ionizing radiation can still cause some forms of cancer after a lifetime of exposure. Everyone knows the sun’s ultraviolet rays cause skin cancer in large doses, and scientists theorize that microwaves, radio waves, and extra low frequency waves also pose a cancer risk. Examples of these types of waves are leaking microwave ovens, cell phone radiation, and the radiation given off by power lines respectively.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 02-19-2013 at 09:45 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #948
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I might be deluded, but I swear I heard Jaminet on a podcast saying he didn't buy the scary microwave stuff.
(Fat lot of good that does anybody, without a reference. This is why I shifted from health care to fiction.)

Last edited by Joyjoy; 02-19-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #949
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, waiting with bated breath to see what Mr Scale says!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #950
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I realized I am unintentionally misleading ya'll about me. I keep an emergency stash of frozen dinners (to which I add veggies) and cook them in the microwave when the day has been too long and too lean.

Okay, just checked my log. Why, I did that as recently as last April.

BUT do not believe I am a perfect little PHD saint. The friends who dropped by for the weekend are foodies. We dined out. They brought and we had a variety of boxes of chocolate (past tense appropriate). He cooked the most amazing wild mushroom potenta and I did not sniff and say "Corn huh!" I said - and I quote - GIMMEEEEE!!!

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-19-2013 at 10:24 AM..
Old 02-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #951
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Xexist
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
I realized I am unintentionally misleading ya'll about me. I keep an emergency stash of frozen dinners (to which I add veggies) and cook them in the microwave when the day has been too long and too lean.

Okay, just checked my log. Why, I did that as recently as last April.

BUT do not believe I am a perfect little PHD saint. The friends who dropped by for the weekend are foodies. We dined out. They brought and we had a variety of boxes of chocolate (past tense appropriate). He cooked the most amazing wild mushroom potenta and I did not sniff and say "Corn huh!" I said - and I quote - GIMMEEEEE!!!
Who needs the stress of nit picking every calorie? (I realize some do this, and by all means if thats what you need to do, do it) But I mean life wasnt meant to be lived that way. As long as you are on a downward trend, or maintaining, or whatever it is you are aiming for, then you go right ahead and enjoy those foodie meals!
Xexist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #952
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beverly! Gorgeous photo! LOVE IT! I must know the story behind. What a beautiful place!!!

All~ I am loving not being hungry at all. I have been doing a little routine every single day of having a cup of bb and one-half of my green smoothie at breakfast. It is usually around 11:00 am. I literally have not been hungry again until 4:30 and then it is just minimal hunger. My appetite is gone! Is this what it feels like to be nourished???
Old 02-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #953
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Beverly! Gorgeous photo! LOVE IT! I must know the story behind. What a beautiful place!!!

All~ I am loving not being hungry at all. I have been doing a little routine every single day of having a cup of bb and one-half of my green smoothie at breakfast. It is usually around 11:00 am. I literally have not been hungry again until 4:30 and then it is just minimal hunger. My appetite is gone! Is this what it feels like to be nourished???
Thank you dear Sunday. We were visiting Big Bear (yes the place of the big shoot out with Dorner, although not at the same time). We decided to go for a boat ride on the frigid lake. So there I was bundled up sitting in the bow of the boat as we powered around the lake. It was glorious. The sun was peaking out between the trees. The air smelled so fresh and clean. A bit teeth-chattering cold at times, but just serene and beautiful. No one else was nuts enough to be out there. Bodies of water provide me with an incredible sense of peace.

I am starting to feel what you have been talking about. An absence of hunger. I am sure I am also getting more nourished. This feeling is something I can't describe. It must be what normal people feel like. I love not thinking about food all the time. The 8 hour window helps to control my evening issues i have had in the past. So here is my question- how do you get in enough of the requirements in a day when you are not feeling hungry. Are you finding yourself really low in calories now? So do you fit the majority of your day's calories between 4:30 and 7:00?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #954
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 62
WOE: None
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
I am SO glad I love beef liver. If I didn't, I'd be looking from some good liverwurst, or some recipes to disguise it! The chart on this BEEF LIVER NUTRIENT COMPARISON is just amazing!

I am really happily settled into PHD eating. I haven't lost any more weight in recent weeks, however. I just want to get that part done, once and for, and then maintain forever. I would be happy with a 10-lb loss.

So I'm going to do some more spud hacking. I have a hard time with just spuds beyond a day or two, but when I incorporate spud dinners without fat, maybe a salad for lunch, I lose weight easily. I have no problem going without breakfast, and generally have at least 16 hours of fasting most days.
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 AM   #955
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was just coming back to say these very same thoughts. I don't want to ever start eating just to get to a quota on calories! That would not be right. However, I am reading a lot more on the paleo sites and trying to study/research Leptin Resistance and it seems to me that the key to curing our LR is to get well nourished and to listen to our hunger scale. So, with that in mind, I may have quite a few days of very low cals and then once or twice per week, have a grand day of feast. Does this sound right to you?

I believe that I am averaging 900 cals per day.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #956
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
I am SO glad I love beef liver. If I didn't, I'd be looking from some good liverwurst, or some recipes to disguise it! The chart on this BEEF LIVER NUTRIENT COMPARISON is just amazing!

I am really happily settled into PHD eating. I haven't lost any more weight in recent weeks, however. I just want to get that part done, once and for, and then maintain forever. I would be happy with a 10-lb loss.

So I'm going to do some more spud hacking. I have a hard time with just spuds beyond a day or two, but when I incorporate spud dinners without fat, maybe a salad for lunch, I lose weight easily. I have no problem going without breakfast, and generally have at least 16 hours of fasting most days.
Thanks for the nutrient comparison. I have looked for a good liverwurst, but can't find one. I can't make the stuff. All the ones I see are made with lots of pork products. I have also thought of potato hacking for a bit since my hunger is under control. Good luck on your hack. Hope it produces the results you would like.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #957
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I was just coming back to say these very same thoughts. I don't want to ever start eating just to get to a quota on calories! That would not be right. However, I am reading a lot more on the paleo sites and trying to study/research Leptin Resistance and it seems to me that the key to curing our LR is to get well nourished and to listen to our hunger scale. So, with that in mind, I may have quite a few days of very low cals and then once or twice per week, have a grand day of feast. Does this sound right to you?

I believe that I am averaging 900 cals per day.
I believe that breaking a fast period with a day of feasting is a good idea. Are you dropping a good amount of weight averaging 900 cals a day?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:31 AM   #958
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, I have found a wonderful grassfed organic liverwurst from US Wellness that is made from beef/lamb heart, kidneys, & liver. I can handle the taste and I am happy to take it like a supp every day.

I am eating taters daily. I know this is a repeat of what I say in this thread, but I can't believe I am doing this! It is therapeutic for sure!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #959
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 62
WOE: None
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
sungoddess: If you're interested in ordering online, US Wellness Meats has some liverwurst and braunschweiger, as well as other organ meats - all grass fed.
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #960
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue- you just changed your avatar too. Looking good!