Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #871
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Babsbabs
Stats: HW203 SW163.8/152.8/145
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: March 2012
Picked up the Perfect Health Diet book yesterday and am enjoying it! Great to have so much information put together in one place and wonderful to read the improvements that many of you are finding here.
Babsbabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 AM   #872
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Picked up the Perfect Health Diet book yesterday and am enjoying it! Great to have so much information put together in one place and wonderful to read the improvements that many of you are finding here.
Hey Babs Join the pursuit of perfect health party!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #873
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Good to hear Cici!

Babs!!! We love all of the new budds joining us to learn this wonderful plan.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #874
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Beverly and Sunday! I am surprised how close my diet was getting to this after my potato hack. Organ meats is a bit of a mystery to me but I am sure things will get clearer to me with a bit more reading.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #875
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babsbabs View Post
Thanks Beverly and Sunday! I am surprised how close my diet was getting to this after my potato hack. Organ meats is a bit of a mystery to me but I am sure things will get clearer to me with a bit more reading.
Babs, I know you probably have read me tell others this, but I think small changes are the way to go with PHD. Although, like you the tater hack is what convinced me that taters were, indeed, safe starches and then I wanted to know everything else that Jaminets had to say.

And organ meats may never be a regular health addition for me. I did order lamb liverwurst that is made from the heart, kidneys, & liver of lamb. It is not bad, because I take it like a pill. I do buy the grassfed beef liver at the hfs for so cheap it is ridiculous. I cooked it up and decided to give it to my babies. I can't get past the smell. So frozen pills of liverwurst for me right now.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #876
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Babs, I know you probably have read me tell others this, but I think small changes are the way to go with PHD. Although, like you the tater hack is what convinced me that taters were, indeed, safe starches and then I wanted to know everything else that Jaminets had to say.

And organ meats may never be a regular health addition for me. I did order lamb liverwurst that is made from the heart, kidneys, & liver of lamb. It is not bad, because I take it like a pill. I do buy the grassfed beef liver at the hfs for so cheap it is ridiculous. I cooked it up and decided to give it to my babies. I can't get past the smell. So frozen pills of liverwurst for me right now.
Glad to hear I am not alone in the lack of organ meat consumption. I love the smell of liver cooking it is the actual taste that does me in. It is great that the organic organ meat is affordable as I might need to do a bit of experimenting to find a way that I can eat it.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #877
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Babs, Someone wrote in on the Q & A that they actually cook it then mix it in with chili beef so that they do not even taste it. I may try that!

I like cooking it and freezing it in slivers to take as a supp. When I take it, I only taste it briefly when I swallow it like a pill. So much better.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #878
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I bought the uniliver grass fed beef liver pills and take 7 of them a day. I figure a week's worth probably adds up to a 1/4 lb liver as prescribed by the Jaminets. Best I can do!
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:08 PM   #879
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Thanks for the liver reminder. I just made up a recipe for Silky chicken liver pate' from Marks Daily Apple. So delicious and I was not at all excited about liver. Definately a little bit daily kind of recipe because of the amount of butter.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #880
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 61
WOE: One Meal A Day - PHD Style
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
I have always loved organ meats, especially beef liver. Guess I'm just lucky.

I tried some Wild Planet Wild Sardines today (in extra virgin oliver oil with lemon). I can't believe how good they were! I've always just tolerated sardines, but ate them because they're so nutritious! With this brand, I actually love, love, love them! I just ordered 12 cans from Amazon.

I'm loving this diet! The only thing I haven't gotten behind yet is seaweed. Nori is not at all my favorite. I can tolerate it if I make sushi rolls and use a lot of soy sauce (which I don't want to do). I need to read back through to see what folks are doing about seaweed. Any quick suggestions?

There are so many new posts since I last posted, it's hard to keep up!
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #881
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I picked up the Eden Kombu and add one to my last bone broth w/ egg shells.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #882
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
I have always loved organ meats, especially beef liver. Guess I'm just lucky.

I tried some Wild Planet Wild Sardines today (in extra virgin oliver oil with lemon). I can't believe how good they were! I've always just tolerated sardines, but ate them because they're so nutritious! With this brand, I actually love, love, love them! I just ordered 12 cans from Amazon.

I'm loving this diet! The only thing I haven't gotten behind yet is seaweed. Nori is not at all my favorite. I can tolerate it if I make sushi rolls and use a lot of soy sauce (which I don't want to do). I need to read back through to see what folks are doing about seaweed. Any quick suggestions?

There are so many new posts since I last posted, it's hard to keep up!
My mom always added kombu to her bone broth so that is what I do along with my egg shells. I put in a strip. When I strain the broth, I sometimes cut up the seaweed and eat it in the soup. I also grind the kombu in my magic bullet and put it in a salt shaker and use it like salt.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM   #883
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Question: if I don't eat the liver or organ meats, what am I missing out on. Sunday, you pointed out I can get the copper with chocolate, so what micronutrients am I missing out on. I tried to search it, but not seeing the answer I am looking for.

Organ meats are much better than plant foods for compounds like phospholipids. In particular, choline (and its phospholipid form phosphatidylcholine) is important for methylation status and epigenetic functioning – an important element in cancer prevention.

I take choline supplements and eat the egg yolks and cauliflower and almonds. Is it the high levels of Vit A found in liver for the most part? I think we are only supposed to add Vit A through food, so do you think that is the main thing? Same goes for the folic acid.

Today is the first day I noticed a significant lessening of back pain and overall I just felt better.

I really like Trader Joe's canned wild salmon. I do take out the silver skin, but the bones in it are full of calcium and I like the little crunch. Today I mixed it with some yogurt and purple potates and fried it up like a giant salmon cake. It really hit the spot. And the canned wild salmon is so much cheaper than the fresh and I really like it!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:26 PM   #884
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Hopefulsweigh
Stats: 155/149/139
Start Date: JUDDD restart - January 2014
This week I added sweet potatoes and/or rice to my meals and I too slept like a baby.

I am trying to fast for 14 hours, that's all I can take at the moment. Last snack at 9PM then breakfast at 11AM.

I am typically eating 2 meals then a snack before bed.

I am putting coconut oil and HWC in my 2 coffees before breakfast.

I tried these Paleo Pancakes this morning so yummy and easy.

1 bannana - mashed with a fork
2 eggs

Mix together. Pour on the griddle. Top with butter.

I had two servings of these today.

OM

Cici - happy for you that there is a downward motion on the scale.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...ogether-4.html
Hopefulsweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #885
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
I buy the little packets of seaweed crisps and eat a half a pack a day--SeaSnax is olive oil only and I adore the chipotle. A wee bit spendy, but I like them so much I don't mind. The large chipotle nori sheets make awesome wraps for my kippered herring wraps.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #886
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
The large chipotle nori sheets make awesome wraps for my kippered herring wraps.
I thought I was the only one who did that, heh. I call it ghetto sushi.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #887
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am always looking for good paleo deserts that are PHD and found a paleo almond joy cookie that I am going to try and bake today. Very simple and should be something that can be frozen for later consumption. Only question is which sweetener would you use? I love and thought about stevia and coconut sugar, but have never tried brown rice syrup that Paul suggests? He does endorse stevia, but have not read anything about coconut sugar? In the recipe she uses honey. I don't really want to use honey.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 AM   #888
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hope it is great to hear that you are sleeping better! You said that you have 2 coffees before breakfast? Just curious if that is the sleep culprit? I have one coffee, but don't do well with more than that. I switch to Kombucha and/or tea later. I am even going to quit the kombucha after 3 pm, so that I don't suffer again.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #889
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just curious if anyone has tried Crio Bru Cavalla? I tried to find it at the HFS and they told me they would be glad to order. It is like coffee & can be brewed in coffee maker, but made with cocoa beans instead. I saw it mentioned on PaleoHacks and so went looking for it.

Quote:
Crio Brü is a brewed drink made from 100% premium cocoa beans, roasted to perfection. Named after the most prized of cacao beans, the Criollo, Crio Brü will astound your taste buds with its complex flavors and subtle aromas which come right from the cocoa bean itself! It is 100% natural and 100% pure. Each cup of Crio Brü is rich in health benefits, such as antioxidants and minerals, has low calories and carbs, and no fat, sugar, sodium or gluten. Made from one of the best superfoods on earth, this delicious drink is by far one of the healthiest you can incorporate into your diet. Here is what Dr. Oz said about brewed cocoa on this year's season premiere: "This is a really cool idea. It's a unique product. You can buy it online. I think this is something really worth trying. Here's what I love about it. It's why it can help you burn fat faster. It has a natural stimulant, not caffeine, it's called theobromine that can boost your metabolism. It's very safe. It also has a fat blocker. It helps get rid of the fat in your body by blocking an enzyme you need to digest fat, so you never absorb the fat into your body." If you're looking to burn fat and increase your metabolism, drink Crio Brü! Brewing Crio Brü is easy. Here are a few preparation suggestions - 1. Brew Crio in the French press for 7-10 minutes with boiling water. 2. If using a coffee maker, a gold wire filter is best. If using a paper filter, never fill it more than half way. Also, if possible, a slow or 1-4 cup setting is recommended. 3. Before drinking, try to pick out the aromatic notes in the Crio. 4. Add a small amount of creamer. A dollop of coconut or almond milk will bring out the chocolaty notes. 5. Add a tiny dash of cinnamon to Cavalla before or after brewing. It's fantastic! Enjoy this new and exciting brewed cocoa drink!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #890
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
He does endorse stevia, but have not read anything about coconut sugar?
Coconut sugar is 90% sucrose, 5% free glucose, 5% free fructose. It's basically table sugar extracted from a different source so IMO not worth the price--mostly for those trying to avoid GMO sugar beets but the nutritional impact is the same.

Personally I prefer to budget my fructose for whole fruits so I still avoid caloric sweeteners. For baking volume I love Lakanto but don't use it a lot due to price. Powdered/confectioner erythritol would be my second choice.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #891
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Just curious if anyone has tried Crio Bru Cavalla? I tried to find it at the HFS and they told me they would be glad to order. It is like coffee & can be brewed in coffee maker, but made with cocoa beans instead. I saw it mentioned on PaleoHacks and so went looking for it.
Sounds like a little bit of heaven. Maybe a way to nix the coffee.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #892
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
This week I added sweet potatoes and/or rice to my meals and I too slept like a baby.

I am trying to fast for 14 hours, that's all I can take at the moment. Last snack at 9PM then breakfast at 11AM.

I am typically eating 2 meals then a snack before bed.

I am putting coconut oil and HWC in my 2 coffees before breakfast.

I tried these Paleo Pancakes this morning so yummy and easy.

1 bannana - mashed with a fork
2 eggs

Mix together. Pour on the griddle. Top with butter.

I had two servings of these today.

OM

Cici - happy for you that there is a downward motion on the scale.
Those pancakes sound good. Easy too. What is a serving? The recipe? Or some portion of it? I could easily eat the whole thing and want more.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #893
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hope it is great to hear that you are sleeping better! You said that you have 2 coffees before breakfast? Just curious if that is the sleep culprit? I have one coffee, but don't do well with more than that. I switch to Kombucha and/or tea later. I am even going to quit the kombucha after 3 pm, so that I don't suffer again.
Could be Sunday?

I've always had two cups of java per day. Always in the morning...it's like breakfast for me, as breakfast is at 11ish these days.

Sleep has been so wonderful this week that I no longer think it is an issue. Really since I stopped JUDDD it hasn't been much of an issue
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #894
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Those pancakes sound good. Easy too. What is a serving? The recipe? Or some portion of it? I could easily eat the whole thing and want more.
I counted the whole recipe as a serving... First time I made then I went back and made another batch...oops, so yummy!

Made these for the kids this morning, thumbs were up all around!

Last edited by Hopefulsweigh; 02-16-2013 at 10:08 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #895
Senior LCF Member

I bought some soup bones this morning. Beef, but not previously frozen, and these ones did not look likes noses

There is a lot of beef on the bones. It was a $4.00 package. I put in in the crockpot along with an onion, carrot and small piece of celery.

Anything else I should add? My plan is to keep on low for 18 hours. So it will be ready tomorrow night.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #896
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know, I even quit coffee for a long period a while back and only allowed tea and I noticed a big change in how I felt. I was thinking about doing this again for my addrenals. After reading the hormonal site about menopause and balancing hormones, I realized that my addrenals may be taxed from fasting for so long without nourishing my body. I love the idea of having the Crio Bru due to my love for chocolate. Maybe it will be my replacement for coffee until I fix the addrenal issues or at least give them a good rest.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #897
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I made a lot of bone broth a couple of years ago after reading PHD and Kwasniewski's Optimal Diet but I didn't use a crock pot! I just tried it in a crock pot, and oh my, I have solid gelatin now that it is in the refrigerator. So much more effective--thank you all for your chats!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:18 AM   #898
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I buy the little packets of seaweed crisps and eat a half a pack a day--SeaSnax is olive oil only and I adore the chipotle. A wee bit spendy, but I like them so much I don't mind. The large chipotle nori sheets make awesome wraps for my kippered herring wraps.
I do this too! I think it helps due to the potato hack being so low in minerals.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #899
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Seabreezes
Stats: 191/162/160
WOE: JUDDD let me lose 30 pounds and keep it off
Start Date: Seems like forever - restart June '11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulsweigh View Post
I bought some soup bones this morning. Beef, but not previously frozen, and these ones did not look likes noses

There is a lot of beef on the bones. It was a $4.00 package. I put in in the crockpot along with an onion, carrot and small piece of celery.

Anything else I should add? My plan is to keep on low for 18 hours. So it will be ready tomorrow night.
I believe you want to add an acid. - vinegar or lemon juice.
Seabreezes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #900
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabreezes View Post
I believe you want to add an acid. - vinegar or lemon juice.
Hope, Seabreezes is correct, if you will add a small amount of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, it will help your minerals leach to the broth. Also, cook on lowest temp on pot and simmer for approx. 30 hours for beef. 24 hours for chicken.

KeyTones, Wait until you make some mashed taters with a bit of broth on top. It is to die for.