Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #61
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sunday, wish I loved the BAB. My problem is that it inevitably leads to the BADLEF (big a$$ day-long eating frenzy). Tried it again today. Back to morning coffee with cream tomorrow.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
LOL! I have the exact opposite effect. If I eat about 30 grams plus of protein and drink a butter coffee, I am not going to be hungry the entire day. The main reason that I quit BAB, was so that I can insure that I was getting enough fasting time in before I ate my 1st meal on DD. I have no clue if I actually reset my Leptin. I am going to go have cortisol tests run next month and hope to find out more about the Leptin Reset.

Pioneer, thank you for your response. I believe muscle loss is always something that we need to be aware could happen when fasting. I hope you are enjoying PHD and will be glad to have you join us whenever you want.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kettleboy
Stats: 6' 3". 243/225/210
WOE: Juddd when required
Start Date: June 2010
Found it!

On muscle loss, fairly inevitable with any weight loss plan, some worse than others. I did set out to lose some muscle, as now competitive sports has gone I no longer need it.

Bit backed up on books, been pushed to read wheat belly, half way through. Then it will be PHD. but have quickly read the 5/2 diet today, seems to be a steal from many other people's ideas.
Kettleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for checking in Kettleboy. I am anxious to read Wheatbelly also, but since I need to condense my reading time, it may be a while before I can.

Bone Broth is a big part of the PHD and since protein is restricted more than say general Paleo or LC, I thought I would share a bit about the reasons bone broth is so good for you. I will be using bone broth quite a bit in the next few weeks for DD staple.

The top 5 reasons that bone broth is super good for your health.
By Sean Croxton, Underground Wellness

Quote:
Reason #1: Bone Broth Makes Your Joints Feel as Smooth as Eggs.
“The health of your joints depends upon the health of the collagen in your ligaments, tendons, and on the ends of your bones. Collagens are a large family of biomolecules, which include the glycosaminoglycans, very special molecules that help keep our joints healthy.”

Bone broth is loaded with glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). In fact, I’m absolutely certain that you’ve heard of one of them — glucosamine. Yep, those supplements that seemingly everyone is taking for joint health contain one of the GAGs we get from consuming bone broth.

Notice I said that glucosamine is just one of the GAGs contained in bone broth. When you consume broth you also get chondroitin, hyaluronic acid, and likely a bunch of other equally important GAGs that have yet to be discovered.

What’s more, the GAGs we get from bone broth are resistant to digestion and are absorbed in their intact form. According to Dr. Cate, these intact GAGs like hormones, stimulating cells called fibroblasts which lay down collagen in the joints, tendons, ligaments, and even the arteries.

Reason #2: Bone Broth Makes Your Hair, Skin, and Nails Look Renewed.

As we age, production of collagen declines and we start to see the outward signs of aging. Much cheaper than taking supplements and going after facial treatments such as botox and fillers.

(By the way, broth is super cheap to make on your own.)

Reason #3: Bone Broth Heals Your Gut!

Many experience some kind of gastrointestinal challenge — constipation, diarrhea, food sensitivities, leaky gut, or even autoimmune disease.

One of the most vital nutrients for healing the gut is gelatin. Yep, the stuff that makes the Jell-O jiggle.

There was a time when gelatin was the most studied nutrient under the sun for all of its healing virtues. Times have certainly changed.

To make a long story short, the intestinal lining is supposed to be permeable in order for nutrients to pass through. However, this lining can become too permeable due to lifestyle factors such as poor diet, stress, long-term contraceptive use, as well as bacterial and fungal overgrowths. Just think of poking huge holes in your window screens at home. Yes, the good air will pass through, but the flies, gnats, and mosquitoes will too.

This is how leaky gut — or gut hyperpermeability — works. Undigested food particles can slip through the gut lining and pass directly into the bloodstream. No bueno! When this happens, the immune system freaks out and starts attacking the very foods you eat — we call these food sensitivities.

Over time, this can turn into an autoimmune issue by which your immune system thinks your thyroid — or any other tissue, for that matter — looks like the piece of steak molecule it’s been fighting off for the past few years. In other words, your body starts to attack itself.

According to our good friend Dr. Thomas O’Bryan, autoimmunity will soon be the number one cause of death in this country. Gut hyperpermeability is a big reason why.

What does bone broth have to do with any of this? Well, the gelatin in bone broth spackles the excess holes in the gut lining, so to speak. It’s quite the handyman, and should be part of any gut-healing protocol.

Reason #4: Bone Broth Reduces Your Need for Meat and Protein.

This is pretty darn interesting. In her fantastic Real Food Summit (RFS) presentation, Sarah Pope revealed that studies conducted in the 1800s demonstrated that when there is plenty of gelatin in the diet, the body’s need for protein from meat sources can be reduced by as much as fifty-percent!

We all know that purchasing quality meats can be hard on the wallet. The good news is that you can make bone broth for dirt cheap and thus save money on meat.

Not a bad deal.

Reason #5: Bone Broth Helps Get the Toxins Out.

Here’s another golden nugget from Mrs. Pope. The liver is the master organ of detoxification. Unfortunately, it was never intended to withstand the very toxic, chemical nature of today’s world.

The liver is certainly under assault on a daily basis, and its capacity to detoxify is limited by the availability of the amino acid glycine.

Guess where you can get tons of glycine from? Bone broth, baby!

For now, forget about all the fancy detox programs you’ve heard about. Do your liver a favor by giving it what it needs to do its job most effectively.

Gosh, I can go on and on with this blog. The benefits of consuming bone broth are endless. That’s why it’s the bomb.

Last edited by sunday; 12-18-2012 at 07:10 PM..
Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Excellent teaching youtube on making homemade bone broth...

Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sunday, THANKS!
I'm loving bone broth, and it's exciting to read this.
The flavour is wonderful compared to the boxed stuff, too.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Yes, thanks, Sunday!

Last night we made a bibimbap (you'll see it on the PHD blog under soups). I made a tiny bit of "sauce" that consisted of 1 tablespoon of rice syrup, 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, and a little less than a tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot sauce to substitute for spicy Korean chili sauce. LOL! Mixed that up and divided it into two bowls. Put 150 grams prepared sushi rice in each bowl, then 3-4 ounces of shredded cooked chicken (I would have preferred beef, but needed to use the chicken!). To each bowl I added one fried egg with the yolk runny, and then put furikake seasoning on that. Furikake is just a mix of sesame seeds, seaweed, salt and sugar (very small amount on the sugar) and we got ours at Whole Foods. Then to all of that I added a cup of bone broth in each bowl. We mixed it all up, and YUM!!!!!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leonak
Stats: 122/120/110-114
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start 2-1-14
From Sunday's Post:

Here’s another golden nugget from Mrs. Pope. The liver is the master organ of detoxification. Unfortunately, it was never intended to withstand the very toxic, chemical nature of today’s world.

The liver is certainly under assault on a daily basis, and its capacity to detoxify is limited by the availability of the amino acid glycine.

Since the liver does all the above does anyone here think we should eat liver i do love fresh pork liver fried in bacon grease with onions but have not eaten it in years because all the posions go into the liver, does make one wonder

years back doctors would recommend to eat liver because of the iron in it but doctors no longer even mention eating liver.

Just Wondering About This!
Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sunday, THANKS!
I'm loving bone broth, and it's exciting to read this.
The flavour is wonderful compared to the boxed stuff, too.
I just called the butcher and will be trying some grassfed beef & bison. I am very anxious to find out how the bison broth will be? I am also picking up a few cornish hens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Yes, thanks, Sunday!

Last night we made a bibimbap (you'll see it on the PHD blog under soups). I made a tiny bit of "sauce" that consisted of 1 tablespoon of rice syrup, 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, and a little less than a tablespoon of Frank's Red Hot sauce to substitute for spicy Korean chili sauce. LOL! Mixed that up and divided it into two bowls. Put 150 grams prepared sushi rice in each bowl, then 3-4 ounces of shredded cooked chicken (I would have preferred beef, but needed to use the chicken!). To each bowl I added one fried egg with the yolk runny, and then put furikake seasoning on that. Furikake is just a mix of sesame seeds, seaweed, salt and sugar (very small amount on the sugar) and we got ours at Whole Foods. Then to all of that I added a cup of bone broth in each bowl. We mixed it all up, and YUM!!!!!!!
Very interesting Joyce! I am in love w/ Franks & can't live without Huy Fong Vietnamese Chili Garlic Sauce. It is hard to believe it is 0 cals! I also love Srirachia sauce. Hmmm, I guess I need to try and add seaweed to my bone broth as well. thanks for the idea!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dipgal
Stats: Unhealthy/healthier/healthy!
WOE: 5:2 Fast Diet as LC as possible
Start Date: This time: 11/17/13
I am reading and will be doing PHD after Xmas ... about the bone broth...I find it nearly impossible to get the grass fed bones in ample quantities from my local farmers. I agree it's great stuff.. but have the crockpot running 24/7 to keep dh and I going with 12-16 ounces daily..when I can get the bone.

Thanks for the great info on this thread! There's a 30 day paleolithic challenge beginning 1/1 on the paleolithic board for those interested.
dipgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Leona, It isn't crucial to eat organ meats such as liver, but if you do just make sure of what type of beef liver it is and where it comes from? I admit to being picky about beef myself, I prefer grassfed and organic over regular beef. I also don't eat beef as much as I prefer fish and fowl.

Judy, I will have to do more research, but I don't think you need a lot of bone for good broth? In most of the videos on the PHD site and paleo sites, it seems like just a few bones (or even one good joint bone) is all that is necessary. I am saving all of my chicken bones in a freezer bag and will do several bone broths from the chickens. Thanks for telling me about the challenge will look into this later today.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:23 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Roasting bones? I decided to do this today... Just in case you are wondering why? It will make the broth even more flavorful! I just want to add that I am loving broth on DD. It may just be psychological, but I could swear that I am not hungry on DD when I drink bone broth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwGob...ayer_embedded#!

Last edited by sunday; 12-23-2012 at 05:26 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Hi Sunday! I'm reading this thread with interest. I admit I have a lot more research to do, but one thing I'd like to know more about is the bone broth.

Does it matter if the chicken bones are from commercially-rotisseried chickens like from Costco? My hubby buys 2 of those every week. You freeze them after baking, until you have enough? Then you cook them more? or if they are cooked already you just bust them up and boil them? And if you get raw bones then you bake them first?

Or is there something you can substitute for if you have no time? I am getting ready for tax season. I mean, can you just eat knox gelatin for the joint part? Someone else recommended me (I have a bad hip and pain) to eat just some knox every day because it comes from beef.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:53 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Marie! Those rotisserie chickens will be perfect!!! I am saving every single bone from DH's hot wings, (he is addicted) and I place in ziploc bag in freezer. As you can see from her video that one chicken makes a great bunch of broth. I was at the Natural Grocer yesterday and one of the ladies who I love to get advice from, told me, in her opinion, the best bone broth comes from chickens. The most important thing to remember is adding the vinegar when making BB.

Roasting the bones beforehand is not necessary, but will produce a darker, deeper rich broth. More taste. I season my broth with lots of my fav seasoning so it is quite flavorful. The paleo peeps have so many great ideas on bone broth, I have started following some of their blogs.

A couple of my fav blogs that you can get some wonderful ideas from are ~

nom nom paleo (she makes hers in the slow cooker) I do as well.

Wellness Mama
She has an excellent page on all of the benefits. She really expounds on the healing of the gut through bone broth. She says that their is an excellent doctor, Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride, who has shown how BB can improve digestion, allergies, immune health, brain health and much more.

West Price Foundation Has excellent page dedicated to broth and the many different types. Sally Fallon suggest including the gizzards and chicken feet into the broth. They also suggest a company that sales BB in many different forms, name of the company is "real bone broth".
Old 12-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am now seeing how drinking bone broth and a small amount of kefir every day will do wonders for my health. Beginning to read the Jaminet's book today and should be able to comment more on the actual diet. From what I can gather from the Vlogs and other fans is that the PHD is essentially a Pacific Paleo plan in that it includes eastern health ideas as well as foods native to the Pacific. (rice, taro, etc) I do not know how much rice or potatoes I will eat, although it is nice to know it is not OFF limits, but I can tell you for certain that I will be drinking BB and enjoying the healthy fats.

Last edited by sunday; 12-24-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I will follow up with looking at those resources. Thank you! I guess I was under the impression that if hubs gets the commercial chickens that the bones wouldn't be good for anything, like I'd have to have organic or something. He gets them from costco. It's good to know we can "recycle" something we're already doing. I will also look at the company that sells something for BB. Already prepared? Hmmmm.... curious.

I have hubs eating kimchee right now for his probiotics, the kind in the grocery store in the fridge section that hisses when you open it because it still has "live" stuff in it. He just went through another round of antibiotics for an infection so we really need to build up his gut health again.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
I will follow up with looking at those resources. Thank you! I guess I was under the impression that if hubs gets the commercial chickens that the bones wouldn't be good for anything, like I'd have to have organic or something. He gets them from costco. It's good to know we can "recycle" something we're already doing. I will also look at the company that sells something for BB. Already prepared? Hmmmm.... curious.

I have hubs eating kimchee right now for his probiotics, the kind in the grocery store in the fridge section that hisses when you open it because it still has "live" stuff in it. He just went through another round of antibiotics for an infection so we really need to build up his gut health again.
You may want to take a look into this Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride on Amazon and read the first 2 reviews from her book, "Gut & Psychology Syndrome". My son suffers with IBS and for a while I thought it could be from antibiotics taken for his ear infections, I am very interested in watching her youtube videos. She recommends a very strict paleo type diet, but absolutely NO starchy vegetables (taters) or legumes until the gut is healed.
One thing that I find very interesting, is that Dr. McBride believes there is a link between food allergies and ADHD as well as depression and other psychological issues. I could read up on this sort of stuff all day. Too bad I can't with my work, but I will be listening to her youtubes while doing my job. Also, she is a HUGE advocate of Bone Broth and it's healing of the gut.

One of her many Vlogs. Just fascinating...

Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Regarding the bone broth... from my readings, with the large crockpot that I have I need about 5 pounds of bones. It is strongly suggested by the experts that we use grass fed, non-commercial bones whenever possible. If you think about all the antibiotics, hormones and the artificial chemicals inserted into those rotisserie chickens to make them so flavorful, AND the fact that they were raised under horrible inhumane conditions (never seeing the light of day packed in with thousands of other chickens and not being able to move, eating their own waste and other dead chickens, etc.)...I don't believe that would be very healing to make broth out of. Same goes for the typical feedlot cows.. That's why I find it difficult to find the right bones in the right quantities from my local farmers who grass feed their livestock..

Started a journal on 10/5/13: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...healthier.html

"We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections."
~John Lennon
Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 AM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipgal View Post
Regarding the bone broth... from my readings, with the large crockpot that I have I need about 5 pounds of bones. It is strongly suggested by the experts that we use grass fed, non-commercial bones whenever possible. If you think about all the antibiotics, hormones and the artificial chemicals inserted into those rotisserie chickens to make them so flavorful, AND the fact that they were raised under horrible inhumane conditions (never seeing the light of day packed in with thousands of other chickens and not being able to move, eating their own waste and other dead chickens, etc.)...I don't believe that would be very healing to make broth out of. Same goes for the typical feedlot cows.. That's why I find it difficult to find the right bones in the right quantities from my local farmers who grass feed their livestock..
Yes, Judy, I agree that organic/free range would be the best and most nutritious.

From the Weston Price site...
Quote:
Farm-raised, free-range chickens give the best results. Many battery-raised chickens will not produce stock that gels.
If you do use other than free range/organic, the following is important.

From Weston Price...

Quote:
Scum will rise to the surface. This is a different kind of colloid, one in which larger molecules--impurities, alkaloids, large proteins called lectins--are distributed through a liquid. One of the basic principles of the culinary art is that this effluvium should be carefully removed with a spoon. Otherwise the broth will be ruined by strange flavors. Besides, the stuff looks terrible. "Always Skim" is the first commandment of good cooks.
Judy, if you can find something resourceful that would state dangers of using the non-organic, I really would like to have it to quote here. I will also search in the meantime.

Everything I have read is just one whole chicken to make one pot. I have not found the amount of bones stated ??? (5 lbs of bones). Of course, again, the thought is that one whole chicken should make enough broth for one week. I am not drinking it all day, so maybe if I were, then it would not be ample?

Last edited by sunday; 12-25-2012 at 08:58 AM..
Old 12-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #80
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I would be interested in the research, if any, on the grass fed vs what is really available to most of us. I have been making my own broth for years. Only recently have started to cook the bones longer as recommended. Have not heard of adding vinegar before. Does it help break the bones down?
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I would be interested in the research, if any, on the grass fed vs what is really available to most of us. I have been making my own broth for years. Only recently have started to cook the bones longer as recommended. Have not heard of adding vinegar before. Does it help break the bones down?
No the vinegar is what makes the minerals from the bones remain in the broth.

Quote:
Add vinegar to the broth to help extract calcium--remember those egg shells you soaked in vinegar until they turned rubbery. People add vinegar (to the tune of two tablespoons per gallon, give or take) to draw more of the mineral content out of the bone.

Bone Broth And Boiling Versus Simmering

You will hear just about everything when it comes to cooking bone broth and, the fact is, that all methods work pretty well depending on your situation. If you are seeking a “clear broth,” as is common in French cooking, you want to simmer your broth. If you are using your bone broth as a base to cook beans, clear broth does not matter at all and you should not worry too much about it.

In this house, we shoot for “simmering” but we do find the broth boiling in our crock pot nonetheless and simply open up the lid a little bit more. In some cases, it may have been boiling for hours before we discovered the boiling and it is still good bone broth.
Roasting Bones for Bone Broth

Roasting bones will add a rich flavor to your broth but it will also darken it. We consider this step to be optional, but do tend to roast our soup bones when we have time to add more flavor to our broth. Watch the video below for more.

Bone Broth Storage

The best way to store broth in this day and age is in your freezer, particularly if you boil the broth down so that it is more dense and more efficiently stored. Some people will put broth in ice cube trays so that they can grab a cube or two and add it to cooking. Some people will freeze broth in larger freezer containers. These methods of storage are great if they are convenient for you.

In our kitchen, we do not freeze broth. We use broth right out of the crock pot as we make it. It is the fastest and easiest way to deal with your broth.
Bone Broth: The Type Of Bone

Any bone you have available for bone broth will make good bone broth. However, if you are shopping expressly for soup bones, do check out “beef feet,” a beef bone that is the part of cattle’s leg just above the hoof. These are labeled “beef feet” in the market. Any butcher will know your reference.

We cannot recommend beef feet highly enough. In our own kitchen, we have gotten gelatin from beef feet from days on end, using the broth one day, adding more water and vinegar to the same bones, and then using the next batch of broth for yet another cooking project. The results are documented on YouTube where you can see twelve days of gelatin-rich bone broth from the same batch of bones.

Last edited by sunday; 12-25-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 12-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I am not sure about the research yet on the grass fed versus the store bought beef bone. I am still in the process of learning this for myself. I would think it is basically better to have grass fed organic beef/chicken, but I am not sure that the health benefits are going to be that significant. Still trying to research this.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, sunday, for all the info. Will definately be adding the vinegar from now on. Am thinking that since vinegar alkalizes the system, it will also curb those tummy rumblings I get.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did a bit of researching in to the wee hours on using regular cattle bones versus organic/grassfed. I am thinking that chickens could be a bit different, so I hope someone can give me more info. The problem is that in some areas of the country, farm markets and even grocers who would have some organic/hormone-free beef/chicken are not easily accessible? I am very lucky to live in farm country and have access to organic chicken & beef at my local grocers. Even Wal-Mart is now selling a smaller section of organic hormone-free meat. I would advise and have read others advise if you must eat store prepared, to stay away from Tyson.

The good thing is that it is believed that 90% of hormones/anti-biotics are excreted by the animals in urine or manure. However, you still have 10% that may end up being in the meat. I can't find any evidence so far that this 10% would then leach to the bones? It sounds like our veggies may be more crucial that they be organic due to this excreted antibiotics.

From the Scientific American...

Quote:
"Around 90 percent of these drugs that are administered to animals end up being excreted either as urine or manure," said Holly Dolliver, a member of the Minnesota research team and now a professor of crop and soil sciences at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. "A vast majority of that manure is then used as an important input for 9.2 million hectares of (U.S.) agricultural land."
Worried about Antibiotics in Your Beef? Vegetables May Be No Better: Scientific American

Last edited by sunday; 12-26-2012 at 07:59 AM..
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am so excited to be reading my PHD! I skipped to the fasting chapter and will report back any good that I have gleaned. Just as Kristin has mentioned, I am finding the material quite interesting.

I have only skimmed the "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas, but find that now that I am reading PHD, I really want to go back and re-read about the gut and the immune connection. Also, I see so much that I wish to read in depth on, "Leptin & Hormonal Connection, Circadium Rhythm, Using Insulin/Leptin to our Advantage, Addrenal Exhaustion, Where does ADD/ADHD fit into all of this?"
Old 12-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very important! I forgot to add that if you are trying to find the best resources for grass fed and hormone free meat/eggs/dairy. Please go to a site that is named, "eat wild". Excellent resources for any area of the US/Canada. You can type in your locale and it will share every local farmer/grocer.

Eat Wild is the most comprehensive source for safe, healthy, natural and nutritious grass-fed beef, lamb, goats, bison, poultry, pork, dairy and other wild edibles.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #87
Senior LCF Member

Oh my Sunday, you are a busy girl!! You remind me of me... when I am interested in a subject I become totally obsessed and passionate about it! Thanks for sharing your researched info!

Regarding the quality of the bones for the bone broth - I am subscribed to probably 100 different experts on Facebook...paleo experts, alternative doctors, SCD (specific Carbohydrate Diet for healing leaky gut) experts, autoimmune experts, etc.. and they all say to use the best quality bones you can find. I assume there may be a little benefit to drinking it if it wasn't made from the best quality bones... but it is so time consuming, expensive, and a pain the the a@@ to make... so, if I am not going to make it for its greatest healing potential for me and hubby I am not going to bother.

Sunday, I too am in farm country, AND I sell my own dip mix products at Farmers' Markets here...and know many local farmers. And I STILL have trouble getting the bones! I have one farmer friend who is processing one grass fed cow now and another in ten days and he is saving me 15 lbs from each.. He isn't certified organic, but he uses organic methods so that is okay with me. When I get his bones I'll be okay for awhile.. then in the meantime I need to get another farmer working on my needs. ugh!!

As a side note, I just downloaded a few FREE Kindle Paleo recipe books this morning. Just go to Amazon and search for them and sort by price.

I also plan to make some fermented/cultured veggie recipes. VERY good for the gut and healing in general.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Judy, I think we are alike! I am so excited about all of my recent reading and now can't quit. I would love to know more about your dips! I am crazy about dips as well. I make my own salsa and salsa verde, plus I enjoy making homemade salad dressing. I would have never guessed that I would be doing this at my age. LOL! Because the older I am, the less I enjoy being in the kitchen.

I am in Oklahoma where the bison roam and I have lots of family that are hunters. I do understand the importance of finding the good quality bones and was just trying to understand how it would affect the bone broth if not used? I think since we are going through the trouble to make it, it makes perfect sense to keep it as clean and free of any added unnecessary toxins.

Your post actually made me realize that I probably shouldn't use the DH's wing bones. I am afraid of where the chickens came from.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Sunday, I always love all the research you do and the benefits we get from it.
What are your thoughts on doing the potato hack for several days after reading some of this?

"Nobody particularly eats corn or soybean directly," said Satish Gupta, a University of Minnesota professor of soil science and study leader. "But there are crops I am much more worried about, like cabbage and lettuce, because these are leaves we eat directly and consume raw."

One finding that particularly worries food scientists is the accumulation of antibiotics within potato tubers. Tubers are an enlarged, underground stem that uptake and store nutrients from the soil. In crops like potatoes, carrots and radishes, it is the part humans eat.

"Since these tubers and root crops are in direct contact with the soil they may show a greater propensity for [antibiotic] uptake," said Gupta.

Health officials fear that eating vegetables and meat laced with drugs meant to treat infections can promote resistant strains of bacteria in food and the environment.

I got a bag of organic potatoes to try this hack, but since it seems a lot of the antibiotics are in the manure and that is used in organic farming, so I am wondering if you think it is not a good idea to use the organic when doing the hack? Eating just potatoes in a concentrated amount... hmm.. I wonder. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #90
Major LCF Poster!

Don't certified organic farms use organic manure?