Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #781
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I don't know why not EVCO. The how to website just said benefits have not been show with other oils. Whether that is because of lack of studies,
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #782
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
I used EVCO too. No idea why I stopped. It was wonderful. Habit forming.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #783
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Cici, I found this on Mercola's site, but if you would like there is a ton of info on oil pulling w/ coconut oil.

Quote:
Coconut, especially its oil, is a powerful destroyer of all kinds of microbes, from viruses to bacteria to protozoa, many of which harm human health.

Researchers at the Athlone Institute of Technology's Bioscience Research Institute in Ireland set out to test coconut oil's biocidal properties against the bacteria responsible for tooth decay.

Dental caries is a commonly overlooked problem affecting 60 to 90 percent of children and the majority of adults in industrialized countries, according to chief researcher Dr. Damien Brady. His research team tested the antibacterial action of coconut oil in its natural state and coconut oil that had been treated with enzymes, in a process similar to digestion.

The oils were tested against strains of Streptococcus bacteria, which are common inhabitants of your mouth.

They found that enzyme-modified coconut oil strongly inhibits the growth of most strains of Streptococcus bacteria, including Streptococcus mutans, an acid-producing bacterium that is a major cause of tooth decay1. It is thought that the breaking down of the fatty coconut oil by the enzymes turns it into acids, which are toxic to certain bacteria.2 Enzyme-modified coconut oil was also harmful to the yeast Candida albicans, which can cause thrush.

Dr. Brady said:

"Incorporating enzyme-modified coconut oil into dental hygiene products would be an attractive alternative to chemical additives, particularly as it works at relatively low concentrations. Also, with increasing antibiotic resistance, it is important that we turn our attention to new ways to combat microbial infection."

The work also contributes to our understanding of antibacterial activity in the human gut, which helps maintain the balanced flora necessary for a strong immune system.

"Our data suggests that products of human digestion show antimicrobial activity. This could have implications for how bacteria colonize the cells lining the digestive tract and for overall gut health," explained Dr. Brady.

The Many Health Benefits of Coconut Oil

Coconut oil offers an impressive array of health benefits. In addition to its antimicrobial properties, coconut oil is beneficial for:
•Promoting heart health
•Supporting proper thyroid function
•Strengthening your immune system
•Providing an excellent "fuel" for your body and supporting a strong metabolism
•Maintaining healthy and youthful looking skin

One of the primary reasons coconut oil's benefits are so broad is that 50 percent of the fat in coconut oil is lauric acid, which is rarely found in nature. In fact, coconut oil contains the most lauric acid of any substance on Earth. Your body converts lauric acid into monolaurin, a monoglyceride that can actually destroy lipid-coated viruses such as HIV and herpes, influenza, measles, gram-negative bacteria, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia.

Another of coconut oil's antimicrobial components is capric acid, present in lesser amounts.

Coconut oil is also comprised of medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which are smaller than the long chain fatty acids that are much more common to vegetable and seed oils. MCFAs are easily digested and readily cross cell membranes, and are sent directly to your liver, where they are immediately converted into energy rather than stored as fat. Coconut oil is easy on your digestive system and does not produce an insulin spike in your bloodstream
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #784
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Wow! After reading that research, I am going back to co pulling. Thanks for the idea Cici!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #785
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
I also made tapioca pudding a while back but found it kept calling me until it was all gone, so not something I will repeat for a while. I suspect there is a lot of healing needed in my body.

Speaking of healing, has anybody here explored oil pulling (swishing)? It was mentioned somewhere in LCF. I explored it on the internet and supposedly has many health benefits as a detoxing mechanism. Since only sunflower and sesame oil have shown to work, do you think any of this oil is absorbed while swishing in the mouth?
Thanks I will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Wow! After reading that research, I am going back to co pulling. Thanks for the idea Cici!
Me too! I don't know why I stop doing it. I just don't make it a habit I guess. I used coconut oil for years. It made my pearly whites very pearly white.
I got a gum infection and started up using it again to help heal it, and then forgot about it again. What's up with that? Thanks for the reminder.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #786
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
Thank you all for the incredibly warm welcome--I'll say again, there's not a nicer group of people on the net or IRL than my juddd buds! It's great to hear all of your stories and perspectives...especially today, with the scale showing a 1.5 pound GAIN after eating a 2 day average of 1300 calories a day, sigh. Something is seriously needing healing in my poor body...

--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #787
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like a winner. Definately going to give it a try.

Also, interested in anybody using nutritional yeast. I have used it for years as a low cal protein source but not since starting PHD. Any reason not to? Guess I will go to the website and search. Added some to my soup today.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #788
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 61
WOE: One Meal A Day - PHD Style
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
I too experienced teeth-gum benefits with VCO pulling. It was a hassle to me, though, so I didn't stick with it. It's supposed to be beneficial to the whole body, I guess, not just the teeth.

What I do now is mix 2 oz of 35% food-grade hydrogen peroxide with 22 oz of distilled water and keep it in the fridge. I rinse my mouth and teeth with it for about a minute before bed. It sort of stings, and it foams up a bunch, sometimes more than others, which tells me it's working on something in there.

I also brush my teeth with homemade toothpaste, using xylitol, VCO (or glycerin), baking soda, and drops of mint extract.

My teeth are fairly white now, and gums healthy.
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #789
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmm, I have a question, that I hope someone here can advise. I drank my new bb as well as kraut juice yesterday, maybe a bit too much.

Today, I ate a bowl of homemade shrimp gumbo (all PHD) ingredients. I truly didn't eat anything else, but I feel stuffed like I ate thanksgiving dinner! I am not sure what is going on, but maybe too much of a good thing???

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on what could be happening? I don't think I could eat another thing today.

Last edited by sunday; 02-12-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #790
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinemsm54 View Post
Thank you all for the incredibly warm welcome--I'll say again, there's not a nicer group of people on the net or IRL than my juddd buds! It's great to hear all of your stories and perspectives...especially today, with the scale showing a 1.5 pound GAIN after eating a 2 day average of 1300 calories a day, sigh. Something is seriously needing healing in my poor body...

--patty
You are such a joy. It is wonderful to have you participate here. I" hear you" on serious healing needed. That is where I am too. It is frustrating, but we are doing good things for ourselves. I am sure it takes time to adjust. My body has had to adjust to so many changes over the years. I am sure it doesn't know HOW to respond. I really started to go downhill on round three of HCG. I knew my body was depleted and boy, I got sick. I probably am still recovering from that!

Quote:
Sounds like a winner. Definately going to give it a try.

Also, interested in anybody using nutritional yeast. I have used it for years as a low cal protein source but not since starting PHD. Any reason not to? Guess I will go to the website and search. Added some to my soup today.
Don't know much about the nutritional yeast on PHD. Let us know what you find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
I too experienced teeth-gum benefits with VCO pulling. It was a hassle to me, though, so I didn't stick with it. It's supposed to be beneficial to the whole body, I guess, not just the teeth.

What I do now is mix 2 oz of 35% food-grade hydrogen peroxide with 22 oz of distilled water and keep it in the fridge. I rinse my mouth and teeth with it for about a minute before bed. It sort of stings, and it foams up a bunch, sometimes more than others, which tells me it's working on something in there.

I also brush my teeth with homemade toothpaste, using xylitol, VCO (or glycerin), baking soda, and drops of mint extract.

My teeth are fairly white now, and gums healthy.
That's a good idea to add the xylitol. I use that for my sinus rinse. I use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and change back and forth with Diatomaceous earth (DE). I was using the DE all the time, but the dentist said to be careful with that on removing enamel, so I only use it about once a week. How do you handle your toothpaste when you use VCO in the summer? Is it just in liquid form then?

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-12-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM   #791
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Quote:
Today, I ate a bowl of homemade shrimp gumbo (all PHD) ingredients. I truly didn't eat anything else, but I feel stuffed like I ate thanksgiving dinner! I am not sure what is going on, but maybe too much of a good thing???

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on what could be happening? I don't think I could eat another thing today.
Sunday, remember last Spring when I realized, on UDs I was preparing the right amount of food, eating to satiation, and throwing out over 50% of each meal?

Congratulations and welcome to the 'when you eat healthy you also fill up fast' club.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #792
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting Nancy. I love the fact that I am not hungry, but I def have to lower my quantity. I almost felt like I could pop.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #793
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 61
WOE: One Meal A Day - PHD Style
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That's a good idea to add the xylitol. I use that for my sinus rinse. I use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and change back and forth with Diatomaceous earth (DE). I was using the DE all the time, but the dentist said to be careful with that on removing enamel, so I only use it about once a week. How do you handle your toothpaste when you use VCO in the summer? Is it just in liquid form then?
I haven't used it in the summer yet. I was thinking I'll need a little spoon or something.

I do a xylitol sinus rinse too, and a nasal spray called Xlear. Love them both!

P.S. I'd like to add a signature to my posts. I don't think I have that capability. Probably because I'm new here? Does anyone know about that?
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #794
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
Hmmm, I have a question, that I hope someone here can advise. I drank my new bb as well as kraut juice yesterday, maybe a bit too much.

Sunday, I think I know what you mean. When I eat a la PHD, I feel a different kind of full, almost turned off food, after very little.
Know what's weird? If I then eat something way outside the macros suggested, or something junky, that fullness disappears immediately and I can (and want to) eat huge quantities again.
I assume things are healing. This makes me very, very happy.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #795
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, You can have a signature after 25 posts, so you are halfway there!

Really enjoyed your posts!

Kristin, I agree. I am almost miserable still yet and I ate at 12:00 which is 5 hours ago. This is unbelievable to me!!! And yes, I agree, if I were to eat completely different foods that are not PHDish, I will not fill satisfied, that is when I overeat or eat more non-nutrition.

It is a great feeling for sure!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #796
Major LCF Poster!

RE: the nutritional yeast, I found a Jimmy M podcast with Dr. J, about a year old in which he was asked the question. It was not very clear to me but said something like, anything with toxins may still be somewhat toxic even if the toxin is dead, but then it could be consumed with other nutrients to minimize the toxic effect. I can't quote it and hope that is the gist of what he intended.

More interesting on the same podcast was the question of fructose. He explained about it interacting with certain types of fats and therefore should only be consumed with dairy fat or no fat at all. This may explain why having fruits with my meals did not work well yesterday. I was seriously wiped out this morning as well. But that could have also reflected my lack of sleep. Feeling better this evening. He also emphasized get healthy first, then address the weight loss.

July challenge
Old 02-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #797
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

More interesting on the same podcast was the question of fructose. He explained about it interacting with certain types of fats and therefore should only be consumed with dairy fat or no fat at all. This may explain why having fruits with my meals did not work well yesterday. I was seriously wiped out this morning as well. But that could have also reflected my lack of sleep. Feeling better this evening. He also emphasized get healthy first, then address the weight loss.
The mixture of things with fats is very interesting. I was reading in the book how drinking your alcohol with a beef or lamb meal is better than eating a salmon entree.

We also recommend avoiding mixing omega-3 fats with sugar or alcohol.

Drink alcoholic beverages – but only when consuming meals low in polyunsaturated fats. Drink up when you eat beef, but be cautious when the entrée is salmon.

As long as alcohol is consumed only with saturated fats, it is likely to be beneficial to health.

It's all very interesting.

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-12-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #798
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blue, thanks for the info on xylitol sinus rinse - I will look into that!
Old 02-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #799
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Y
That's a good idea to add the xylitol. I use that for my sinus rinse.
Here's the recipe I use for the sinus rinse. It is cheaper than the ready made.

Recipe :
1 cup of water (8 ounces)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp of xylitol crystals
1/2 tsp baking soda
4 drops of grapefruit seed extract

The grapefruit seed extract fights off the germs

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-12-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #800
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Very interesting Nancy. I love the fact that I am not hungry, but I def have to lower my quantity. I almost felt like I could pop.
Hope that happens to me.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #801
Major LCF Poster!

Still waiting on that one too.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #802
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

As Sunday just learned, as I gradually realized, it sneaks up on you. And, I think it sneaks up as things start stabilizing in the body...if nothing else the leptins and ghrelins and other enzymes and thingies that signal hunger and satiation start getting their acts together.

And, oh yes, if I eat something completely non-PHD, I lose the magic and have to fight hunger just like everyone else in the world. I have vast experience with this...and still chose to do it now and again.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #803
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
As Sunday just learned, as I gradually realized, it sneaks up on you. And, I think it sneaks up as things start stabilizing in the body...if nothing else the leptins and ghrelins and other enzymes and thingies that signal hunger and satiation start getting their acts together.

And, oh yes, if I eat something completely non-PHD, I lose the magic and have to fight hunger just like everyone else in the world. I have vast experience with this...and still chose to do it now and again.
I have read others say this and couldn't quite grasp what they were meaning. It is amazing. I had a lot of bone broth and of course, the juice from the bubbies kraut. Nothing else that I can remember, except for taters and possibly some beef.

ahem, I meant *feel* satisfied, not fill.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #804
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: divinemsm54
Stats: 254/173/150
WOE: JUDDD, mod. carb, HCG
Start Date: 7/15/12
[QUOTE=sungoddess;16255498]You are such a joy. It is wonderful to have you participate here. I" hear you" on serious healing needed. That is where I am too. It is frustrating, but we are doing good things for ourselves. I am sure it takes time to adjust. My body has had to adjust to so many changes over the years. I am sure it doesn't know HOW to respond. I really started to go downhill on round three of HCG. I knew my body was depleted and boy, I got sick. I probably am still recovering from that!

Mwah! thank you lovely Beverly, and wishing us both (and everybody else here who needs it) miraculous metabolic healing!

RE the lasting satiation effect of PHD foods: I had around 600 cals of egg/spinach/tater at 11am and didn't get hungry again until 8pm! Crazy!

--patty
divinemsm54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #805
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Still reading, still trying to understand all of this (it is such fun to suddenly have a lot to learn).

Early last year, I noticed on DD even a tiny bit of starchy stuff (like 1/8 cup or rice, or 1/4 a medium baking potato, or - okay, giving these up now - 1/2 a tortilla) made a huge difference in how full I felt and how long I felt full...and seemed to make no change to my weight loss rate.

Gosh, it is fun being able to actually discuss foods and calories!

Sunday, I remembered one rule of thumb (for my bod) that I evolved.
Eat and feel stuffed (or even eat and don't feel stuffed). An hour or more later:
  • experience gas/flatulence and/or
  • develop acid reflux and/or
  • experience bloating either later that day or the next morning
Means I am probably allergic to - or otherwise intolerant of - one of the foods that overfilled me. More research of those foods is needed.

So, how did the rest of your digestive day go?
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-13-2013 at 03:20 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 AM   #806
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I felt very full and really didn't need dinner. I had about a 1/2 cup of gumbo w/ kombucha for dinner.

You know... I wonder if it could have been the rice? I have not had rice since beginning PHD. Could I have had a bad reaction to white rice or maybe I wasn't ready for rice, shrimp & okra in combo?

I did the CO pulling last night before bed and then again this morning and my mouth feels awesome.

Nancy, I watched a show last week on Dr. Oz about eliminating foods until you find what is causing your body stress/inflammation. I know I am not a huge fan of all of his supplement promotions (raspberry ketones, green coffee bean, & cambogia garcinia). In fact, the constant promotions of supps started to make me doubt a lot of his good ideas. But, I do think there is something to doing the elimination plan. I may try to implement this soon. Just eliminate one food in a daily elimination to see if I can pinpoint any issues.

He did say to supplement with the following herbs/spices to fight inflammation and aid in digestion. I every single one!

Basil, Black Pepper, Cardamom, Cayenne, Cinnamon, Cumin, Ginger, Maine’s Sea
Seasonings (kelp or dulse varieties), Rosemary, Turmeric *Note all PHD suggestions
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 02-13-2013 at 05:07 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 AM   #807
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I sure did have acid/reflux. So, I bet it was one of the foods. Okra? I certainly don't think it would be shrimp, but then maybe?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #808
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It could be anything. If you are not used to rice, that is my bet.

I do find okra is enormously filling and high-fiber (a little goes a long way - but I do love it).

I suggest, instead of elimination, wait a few days until things calm down. Then try eating just one of the gumbo ingredients...not a lot but enough to - ahem - feel it if it is the problem child.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 AM   #809
Major LCF Poster!

Sunday, Not sure how much saurkraut juice you drank earlier, but it seems like it might have just put too much acid in your system at once so the next food eaten, regardless of what it was, caused a problem. A case of a little being good, a lot being toxic.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:02 AM   #810
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the wisdom here.

I did wake up with congestion this morning in my chest. I haven't coughed or had any tickle for quite a while, so I have a feeling that something in the gumbo was not good.