Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #721
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Wooee! My library bought two copies of PHD (at my request) and I am first in line waiting for one of the copies to get to my branch. I have a feeling there will be no renewals allowed so when it comes I get 3 weeks to digest everything.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #722
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
you will love it!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #723
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
'zoid! I love the new avi! You are beautiful and what a smile!
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #724
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 62
WOE: None
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
I just made beef broth! Success! I oven-browned 3-1/2 lbs of bones, then put in the crock pot with veggies, bay leaves, etc, covered with water, and let it cook on low for 24 hours. I've read you can cook it up to 3 days!

I filled 3 Mason jars, put 2 in the freezer. I ate the marrow and meaty bits for lunch. Delicious! And very filling.

I feel like some sort of pioneer woman or something right now.

I checked out Mat LeLonde. He's impressive. He's a voice of reason (like the Jaminets) in a world of confusion and conflict.

I made tapioca-coconut pudding last night with xylitol and coconut milk, instead of sugar and regular milk. Added shredded coconut. I was in heaven!

Tonight I'm trying the onion rings recipe from the PHD website. My sister has already made these and is totally happy with the recipe, so I'm looking forward to it.

After an ad libitum PHD weekend, I'm ready for a down day. I love down days! Most people just like to get through them. I really enjoy them. 500 calories like a lot of JUDDDers do would be too small for me. I do 700. I'm still losing weight quite well, even at my "advanced" age!

I'm really happy right now. I don't think I've ever been so satisfied with my food.

Last edited by BlueSojourn; 02-10-2013 at 12:28 PM..
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #725
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
That said, there is a trend to say "never eat this because (insert the one thing here)...." when in reality, there are many benefits to be had if one doesn't over do any one thing. I am aiming for a variety which will yield the benefits of these foods, but minimize the effects of overconsumption of any one thing.
Oh this is so true! Variety is the spice of life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Yes, and linoleic acid from the seeds. I was listening to one of my favorites, Mat LaLonde, in a "vintage" 2010 Jimmy Moore podcast yesterday. He said his view towards seeds is that you can have them, but you should recognize that there's a profound difference in the amount we can eat at once now when compared to the paleolithic.

His quote was something like, "Imagine how many sunflower seeds I'd have in an hour if I had to gather them and shell them. On the other hand, I can now go into Trader Joe's an eat an entire JAR of almond butter."

Mat aligns with Paul and Shou-Ching on just about everything, in my research.
Again, right! Not too much good stuff, but enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Cici and Joyce, I am not going to worry and obsess over the small details yet. I think I am doing good to stay away from the wheat, grains, and fructose. I am just enjoying the new foods and old and taters.
Exactly, me too Sunday! I'm loving taters and some white rice! Also eating cold butternut squash...

Quote:
Wooee! My library bought two copies of PHD (at my request) and I am first in line waiting for one of the copies to get to my branch. I have a feeling there will be no renewals allowed so when it comes I get 3 weeks to digest everything.
Woo HOO! You may want to purchase the book at some point. I love to review first from the Library then make an informed decision. I haven't read it either, I'm gleaning info from this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
'zoid! I love the new avi! You are beautiful and what a smile!
Yes you are Ouiz!!

MTTEMPLE4!! Hello and welcome to this informative and prolific thread!

Had a great food weekend, stayed within my points, ate lots of good healthy PHD food ...and avoided Pinot Noir. This was big and necessary, but I finally dropped a little weight and I think wine was the culprit slowing me down. On another subject, did you know Hershey's kisses come in DARK chocolate?? I think I need some.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #726
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
JoyJoy!!!!!!! You are mentioned today on the PHD blog!!! Yippee!!!

I'm so excited--Jaminets are coming to Philly to give a free talk and I just signed up. What a nice present for my birthday (week after), don't you think? Will bring my JUDDD/PHD Budds the scoop for sure.

Thanks, Blonde!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #727
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
That's great. I keep re-reading and re-reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
you will love it!
LOVE your new avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
I just made beef broth! Success! I oven-browned 3-1/2 lbs of bones, then put in the crock pot with veggies, bay leaves, etc, covered with water, and let it cook on low for 24 hours. I've read you can cook it up to 3 days!

I filled 3 Mason jars, put 2 in the freezer. I ate the marrow and meaty bits for lunch. Delicious! And very filling.

I checked out Mat LeLonde. He's impressive. He's a voice of reason (like the Jaminets) in a world of confusion and conflict.

I made tapioca-coconut pudding last night with xylitol and coconut milk, instead of sugar and regular milk. Added shredded coconut. I was in heaven!

Tonight I'm trying the onion rings recipe from the PHD website. My sister has already made these and is totally happy with the recipe, so I'm looking forward to it.

After an ad libitum PHD weekend, I'm ready for a down day. I love down days! Most people just like to get through them. I really enjoy them. 500 calories like a lot of JUDDDers do would be too small for me. I do 700. I'm still losing weight quite well, even at my "advanced" age!

I'm really happy right now. I don't think I've ever been so satisfied with my food.
That is exactly what I said to a friend when she asked how I was filling my time. I said I turned into a pioneer woman making my broth, lacto-fermenting veges, and making water kefir!! It's exciting you are feeling so satisfied with your food now. I've been wanting to try those onion rings. Maybe this week.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #728
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Quote:

That he is! Glad you are enjoying his stuff!

ETA: I see, via today's Perfect Health Diet blog post, that the talk by LaLonde that I've been waiting and waiting for is finally up! It's from the Ancestral Health Symposium and the talk is on nutrient density. Hurray!

Last edited by mttemple4; 02-10-2013 at 12:57 PM..
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #729
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Quote:

Oh boy!!! Love this! Hope this helps direct more PHDers to chat with us!

Quote:
I'm so excited--Jaminets are coming to Philly to give a free talk and I just signed up. What a nice present for my birthday (week after), don't you think? Will bring my JUDDD/PHD Budds the scoop for sure.
Thanks, Blonde!
Did you notice that Mat LaLonde is on today's blogging? More listening pleasure.

Ouiz, Love the new avi! Thank you for so much good advice here.

SoJourn, I tapioca and picked up some to make, but forget to try it. Maybe this will be in my menu this week.

I have to add that Osso Buco is really, really, good. Hopefully the bone broth turns out just as yummy.

Blonde, I completely agree on the wine. My fav treat had to be shelved because I can't risk the bad decisions I make nutrition wise while I have a glass.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #730
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Thanks for Mat Lalonde. I'm enjoying him.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #731
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Enjoy! I still go back to it. I believe I am going to order another, just because I keep lending my book.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #732
Major LCF Poster!

Ouizoid, Luv the new pic.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #733
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Pioneer woman. My DH thinks I have gone completely off the deep end. He can't believe the bone broth is as yummy as I say. He won't drink it, so I simply add it to everything that I cook and basically he is getting it incognito. Chili, gumbo, roast, ...he doesn't even know!

I know what you mean about being very happy right now. I have at least 30 more to lose, but I feel confident and not one bit concerned. It is bound to come off w/ PHD nutrition.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #734
Major LCF Poster!

Holy moly, I can't keep up here!
Thought bits:
Ouiz, you're gorgeous!
How did my comment end up on PHD?? Thanks for letting me know, Joyce. And how exciting it'll be to hear them live!
I have tried the Jaminets' chicken wings with rice flour, etc. Not bad, but I'll do some tweaking.
Loving broth, loving kefir, loving this altogether.
Ate hellishly yesterday while away from home all day, and am feeling it today. It's like a hangover.
Still eating far more than I need, but improving. I imagine feeling like a plant, taking in only the nourishment I need.
Thanks again for all your input here. Fun place to be.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 02-10-2013 at 05:47 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #735
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ha! Sunday! I'm doing the same thing to my DH. Stealth BB!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #736
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Thanks, Blonde!
Joyce, PLEASE tell Paul & Shou-Ching I said hello and merci beaucoup! I feel like I can't get enough of their wisdom. Please come back and let us know everything!!!

Kristin, I agree about not keeping up! I feel like I miss out when I am gone all day.

I really appreciate this PHD gang for keeping me informed!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #737
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Ha! Sunday! I'm doing the same thing to my DH. Stealth BB!
Another funny thing about this bone broth obsession. I ordered special grassfed bison, veal, & beef bones to make broth from the Grassfed site and gave him strict instructions to make sure to call me at the office when they were delivered, because I didn't want to risk the bones defrosting. I am at the office working away and he calls on the office line, well I was busy with my co-worker on deadline so didn't answer. He then calls on my cell and I must have not heard it. The next thing I know I get an email with the subject in all caps 'BONES HAVE ARRIVED!!!'

I was so excited that I called him and asked him to go ahead and put in freezer. Then yesterday, I commence to cook my osso buco in the crockpot and I was thrilled to take the meat off when done, then roast the bones and placed back in pot to simmer all night long. He saw me going to bed and came in with a very concerned look and asked about the pot simmering. I guess he is worried that something shouldn't be cooking that long and especially if it is just bones. I said we can turn it down to warm, but we must never turn it off during the slow cooking process. He then gives me the strangest look, like I am seriously weirder than weird. Ah, men, they just don't get it! LOL!

Last edited by sunday; 02-10-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #738
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Another funny thing about this bone broth obsession. I ordered special grassfed bison, veal, & beef bones to make broth from the Grassfed site and gave him strict instructions to make sure to call me at the office when they were delivered, because I didn't want to risk the bones defrosting. I am at the office working away and he calls on the office line, well I was busy with my co-worker on deadline so didn't answer. He then calls on my cell and I must have not heard it. The next thing I know I get an email with the subject in all caps 'BONES HAVE ARRIVED!!!'

I was so excited that I called him and asked him to go ahead and put in freezer. Then yesterday, I commence to cook my osso buco in the crockpot and I was thrilled to take the meat off when done, then roast the bones and placed back in pot to simmer all night long. He saw me going to bed and came in with a very concerned look and asked about the pot simmering. I guess he is worried that something shouldn't be cooking that long and especially if it is just bones. I said we can turn it down to warm, but we must never turn it off during the slow cooking process. He then gives me the strangest look, like I am seriously weirder than weird. Ah, men, they just don't get it! LOL!
What a great story!!! I am loving my bone broth. I get the best gel with my turkey wing and legs. It is like meat jello!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #739
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
subscribing
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:39 AM   #740
Major LCF Poster!

I think this PHD thing is making everybody funnier. Even if I didn't like the food and the results, I'd come for the stories.
We should have T-shirts that say, BONES HAVE ARRIVED. (with the laughing emoticon).
Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #741
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Joyce, I am so jealous! I look forward to hearing about your 'in person' experiences.

"BONES HAVE ARRIVED" may need to be our theme, she said while sipping her bb.

Kristin, it appears the Jaminets are reading this forum. Isn't their enthusiasm wonderful?

DH is beyond thinking I am nuts. He complains about the smell of cooking bb, he complains about the smell of cooking fish, he gets ridiculously upset when I don't eat the wheat products. I watch him eat - with every sign of carb disregulation and resultant carb addiction (including the fourteen months preggo tummy, constant popping of tummy pills, and a heart attack 11 years ago) - and think, dude, you should be listening to me. I sneak bb in when I can - which is rarely because for decades we have each made our own meals.

Golly, I hope he is not lurking here.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 AM   #742
Major LCF Poster!

My lovely man and I also cook separately, but he has drifted in the direction of each of my WOEs. He has really fallen in love with the 16 hour fast, preferring it over the full DDs he was doing twice a week (the guy does not need a caloric deficit).
He is also amazed by the sustained energy that he's found by dropping simple carbs. No reduction in BP, yet, but we're hoping.
Bone broth has yet to win him over, but I'm okay with that. Pearls before swine, I mutter when he says no thanks. More for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #743
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bones have arrived!

My dh has the same prego tummy. I refuse to mention anything about his, because my lower ab has yet to be flat, but he has the whole wheat belly thing going on strong. When he retired, he started reading all of the info he could on gardening and self sustainment. Became quite interested in preparedness. So, he came up with a plan to have a 2nd pantry built to keep survival goods in. I giggle, because he has stocked foods that I would never consider emergency much less survival! He stocked many types of canned & dry goods, but then added cookies, chips & candy. I can only believe that he must have suffered in his childhood to be hoarding Reeses PB cups & Pecan Sandies.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #744
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not only do we cook separately, but we have two fridges (his & hers). We were so thrilled that our new home came with a fridge in the utility room as well as kitchen. So no worries. My fridge has all of the BB, kefir, kraut, & veggies. His? Well, let's just say, very few things I can eat. Coca cola, pizza rolls, ice cream, frozen dinners.

It is so interesting, because he enjoys eating everything that I cook, most all of my cooked/grilled meats and main dishes. I usually cook a lot on Sunday. But he always asks before helping himself, because he is frightened that I will melt down if I am out of something.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #745
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I will say, my DH is happy to eat what I feed him and I only feed him PHD! I am not in omnipotent control as I would wish to be, lol, so I know he goes off the rails when he is on his own (and we both travel so so much for business etc, that despite our attempts to be good, I know we are getting way tooo much of the nasty seed oils because they are in restaurant foods)--but at home, it is my way or the highway, HA!
Old 02-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #746
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Plant-Based Vegetarian~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
My DH eats what I make as well. He still eats wheat although I have made a point of switching out wheat crackers for rice crackers, etc. He likes the GF bread! He likes the rice pasta. He's thoroughly enjoying (me too) the addition of potatoes, something I had banned years ago.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #747
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a question for you, especially those born in the 1950’s, or earlier--TIA for your responses.

The PHD discussion on eczema and omega 6/omega 3 was very interesting to me because I had a bad case of it growing up.

Upon discussion with my mother, she reminded me that I was not a breast fed baby, but drank a formula that was common in “my day”. She said she fed me bottles of evaporated milk mixed with Karo syrup. All I could think was OMG!!! I am not blaming my mom for my life long health situation, but it is very interesting.

I found this on the internet--
In the 40's during the war, when women went to work while men were away fighting, formula began to be more popular. The "formula" was evaporated milk, karo syrup (or another sweetener) and water that was boiled. Babies were given solid foods at about 3 weeks, including orange juice, for vitamins and put out in the sun on fair days to sunbathe.

Yes, many of that generation survived. And now we have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoporosis, are obese, have cavities and crooked teeth, and have multiple cancers to name just a few of the chronic conditions.

Does any one else know what they were fed as a baby? I am kind of interested, or am I, about how this type of formula impacted the health of people down the road.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #748
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very interesting. I will call and find out. I remember as a child drinking Milnot mixed with water in my cereal/oatmeal at my grandmothers because she was quite conservative and wished to bake and cook with evap milk. I do remember telling my mom that I preferred to bring my own cow's milk with me when we would stay for a week. Grandmother also loved to use peanut butter that l am pretty sure was rations given during the war. It was in a ginormous tin can and it didn't taste anything like Jiff. I remember asking mom to send PB with me next time as well.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #749
Major LCF Poster!

Goodness, we are running on all cylinders today. Yep, 1952 formula/daycare baby here. Don't know the exact recipe but pretty sure Karo syrup was in the next two younger sibs formula so probably in mine too. And it was considered normal to start cereal via bottle as soon as we could swallow without choking. From what I could gather, there was a race between mothers to see who could do what first. Mine tried potty training me at age 1 until I broke out in hives from the stress. Guess they did the best they knew how and we survived. Wonder what stories our kids will be telling about us.

Got my bones today, too. Funny, when I told my mom I was excited to find a grocer who would give me bones, she imediatedly worried that she needed to buy me some groceries as I must not have any money for meat. Told her I just liked to make my own broth and had plenty of food. Also found some keri gold and kefir cheese and chicken livers (not marked pastured but no hormones or antibiotics). I crumbled a sheet of nori in my omlette this morning along with spinach and it was mild and tasty. You have to like the stuff though. It definately does not hide.

Anybody else find they are throwing some odd things together at meal time? My soups and omlettes have become anything goes concoctions. Soup today: BB, roasted tomatos, oysters, rice, cauliflower. This was preceeded by saurkraut.

Last edited by cici52; 02-11-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 02-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #750
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Very interesting. I will call and find out. I remember as a child drinking Milnot mixed with water in my cereal/oatmeal at my grandmothers because she was quite conservative and wished to bake and cook with evap milk. I do remember telling my mom that I preferred to bring my own cow's milk with me when we would stay for a week. Grandmother also loved to use peanut butter that l am pretty sure was rations given during the war. It was in a ginormous tin can and it didn't taste anything like Jiff. I remember asking mom to send PB with me next time as well.
Thanks for checking. My mom couldn't remember what cereal she gave me. I know my brother and younger sister also had bad skin issues/rashes and my brother got boils. You don't hear of that any longer!

Quote:
Goodness, we are running on all cylinders today. Yep, 1952 formula/daycare baby here. Don't know the exact recipe but pretty sure Karo syrup was in the next two younger sibs formula so probably in mine too. And it was considered normal to start cereal via bottle as soon as we could swallow without choking. From what I could gather, there was a race between mothers to see who could do what first. Mine tried potty training me at age 1 until I broke out in hives from the stress. Guess they did the best they knew how and we survived. Wonder what stories our kids will be telling about us.

Got my bones today, too. Funny, when I told my mom I was excited to find a grocer who would give me bones, she imediatedly worried that she needed to buy me some groceries as I must not have any money for meat. Told her I just liked to make my own broth and had plenty of food. Also found some keri gold and kefir cheese and chicken livers (not marked pastured but no hormones or antibiotics). I crumbled a sheet of nori in my omlette this morning along with spinach and it was mild and tasty. You have to like the stuff though. It definately does not hide.

Anybody else find they are throwing some odd things together at meal time? My soups and omlettes have become anything goes concoctions. Soup today: BB, roasted tomatos, oysters, rice, cauliflower. This was preceeded by saurkraut.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. My mom also was in a race for the potty training! Glad you were able to find bones. How will you cook your livers? I just am not there yet, but will try as I think I might have a copper deficiency.

I throw odd things together as well. Mostly in my eggs. I do throw the potatoes in with my scrambled eggs after sprinkling them with malt vinegar!
The sauerkraut I am using as a side. Actually your soup sounds good to me.

Anyone have trouble getting in the 3 eggs a day plus all the other stuff in two meals?