Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #691
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Hola ladies! I'm here!!

I have been super busy (I know we all are) and have been limiting reading of the thread to nighttime and hence finding myself too tired to post (in addition to my flagrant flaunting of the circadian rhythm advice, lol!).

Will check in with a more substantial post soon. LOVE this thread so darn much!!!
I was just asking about you. Looking forward to your post!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Happy dance for Beverly!

I have not read that far in the book yet, but I am a huge believer that, when the body is under stress, it holds onto what it's got. Probably the reason JUDDD kept working for me was - despite the frequent vaycays and opulent eating - most days, while my calories were dictated by JUDDD, the foods and proportions I ate were approximately the proportions PHD defines.

Darling Twin, your body is still recovering from the double whammy of a major Crohn's attack and steroids. PHD and time to complete the recovery are the double whammy you need now. Further weight loss will come I truly believe that.
Nancy- I love your new photo! Represents the happy you! Thank you for your ongoing support. It just means a great deal to me to receive those encouraging words from you. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
OMgoodness gracious! One more wonderful benefit to the 16 hour fast, is that I am sleeping snug as a bug in a rug.
Jaminet is definitely on target about the circadian rhythm and this method of eating. Wow! I am one who used to enjoy staying up late on the weekends. Or when I didn't have to be at the office in the morn. Well, I have been struggling to stay up to 11 pm and I am up at 6 or earlier every single morn, like clockwork. Also, Jaminet has a theory about our circadian rhythm and hypothyroidism. He believes that this is the reason some of us end up with hypo symptoms. Could this be why my thyroid is starting to work again? Wow. I am amazed with his simple yet so important advice. It is true.
I am so pleased you are sleeping well. I love that we are getting proof of the benefits this plan provides!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Ahh-oooo-ga! ahhh-oooooooo-ga!

Onions/garlic/etc are poisonous for dogs, and especially for cats! I have thought about removing some bb for my cat - then adding veggies and finishing the cooking...unfortunately I never think about it before I add the veggies. Sunday, be careful.

Ohoh.. when you say onions/garlic, etc., what else shouldn't they eat? I have been giving the dog the meat and scraps that come off the bones in the broth along with carrots. He just loves it so much and licks the bowl long after it is empty. I don't put onion or garlic in my broth while it is brewing. I season it later when I am making soup or heating it for broth. Is the broth without that stuff okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Ooh, Nancy! Love the new pic. Line dancing? Happy occasion for sure.

Hola, Joyce! Good to see you.

Am still in shock after sleeping until 7 this morning. That is 9 hours sleep and almost 15 hours fast last night. Kind of feel like I'm behind this morning because of it but don't really have anywhere to go so it doesn't matter.

Planning a similar menu to yesterday. Did not need a snack so the three meals worked very well. This morning planned to have some grapefruit instead of potato but was really full after the omlette so will see if I can get it in later. Maybe there is hope for me yet.
Well done Cici! 9 hours of sleep and a 15 hour fast is simply fantatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Good Morning Ladies!! What a wonderful thread. Now I don't have the PHD book but I've been reading here daily and 'taking heed' of the advice and recommendations (well a lot of them, still no bone broth or liver). I've been stalled on WW but I don't want to give up just yet. For the last two days I've eliminated GF bread and I included exclusiviely eggs, salmon, salad w/ evoo, chicken, green tea, yogurt and butternut squash. For the last two days I've lost a huge amount of water (yay) and finally saw scale movement. I had a loss coming for sure but the news is I was satisfied with my food, it felt good and right. I felt happier and more content. I'm ready for another day of the same!
Congrats on the scale moving and for making healthy changes. Being satisfied with your food is so key.

Great posts everyone!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #692
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Beverly, run a search on 'food toxic to dogs' (or 'to cats' as applicable - there are a lot of those. Proving yet again that cats are eccentric). Chocolate comes to mind, and caffeine.

Sunday, I think veering towards the foods on the outside of the grocery is part of a natural progression. The healthier the body gets and feels, the more it demands to be treated with respect. Put veggies on your pizza? Wow, I feel good now and I feel good longer...hmmmmmmm...Eventually try melting some cheese on your roasted veggies...hmmmm....maybe that really is my body screaming for steady energy, easy eliminations, clear thinking, and a good night's sleep.

Remember, although I did not know I was doing it, I have traveled quite a bit of this road already...and had time to think about it. I find myself dreading the cruise in May. I am already known for ordering three appetizers and three entrees because they just don't give you enough veggies and the carbs are all wheat based. Ah well, my DB and SIL are LC piscatarians. DH is going to feel like the odd person out as he eats the SAD with extra bread and pops pills for acid reflux.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #693
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Bwahaha! I think we married brothers! Mine eats many things that would scare me now. I am glad to know that garlic was an issue. Gosh I would feel terrible if I poisoned my dogs.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #694
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, it is worth investigating what foods are toxic to our pets...like humans they tend to crave that which they ought not eat.

Oh my, even before PHD ... even before JUDDD, I watched what various family members and friends ate and I worried. Can't do it though ... can't throw myself across the table while screaming "You are killing yourself with that!!!" I have to be subtle...the other day I asked DH if his life insurance payments were up to date
Old 02-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #695
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Bought some nori and some oysters and some organic butter today (No grass fed at my grocery). The oysters are packed in water and salt. No oil. Seemed a better choice than cottonseed oil. Now will have to look back and find someone's recipe for roasted nori. Was it oiz?

I bought some Omega 3 eggs today instead of cage free. Anybody know anything aabout them. Seems they add flax seed to the feed. Supposedly 660 mg Omega 3/egg and a 1/1 ratio of O3/O6. Was thinking they would be good for mayo.

Was rereading page 1 and realized peanuts are on the evil list and I have been using the natural peanut butter. So, will have to wean off that love.

It's a process to be sure.

Last edited by cici52; 02-08-2013 at 02:53 PM..
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #696
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, you are doing fantastic. I still eat a few things that are not PHD allowed. Like my beloved black eye peas and snap peas. Actually, I have forgotten if snap peas are legumes?
Old 02-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #697
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BlueSojourn
Stats: 250/160/150 -- Age 62
WOE: None
Start Date: Jan 14, 2014
I am a new member at LCF. I follow the PHD and have been lurking around in this thread for a while.

When I saw that Cici had mentioned Nori, I had to share my favorite way of eating Nori that I learned while I was doing a stint with an all-raw diet.

NORI WRAPS:
Very easy and SO delicious!
BlueSojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #698
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome! BlueSojourn! Hope to be able to make these soon. Please feel free to guide us when we are lost or stray.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #699
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks, Sunday. I think the snap peas are on the okay list.

Just tried my first oysters. Straight from the can they rank right down there with liver. But saute in a little buCO and the roasted tomato sauce from earlier this week and they were very tasty. Actually, that roasted tomato flavor may be my new favorite put it on everything stuff.

So now I think the task is to put things in their proper catagory so I can rotate them in when needed but not get too much of anything.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #700
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome, BlueSojourn!. Glad you came out of lurkdome. We were posting at the same time. THanks for the UTip. I will watch that next.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #701
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Please feel free to guide us when we are lost or stray.
I'm not an expert yet -- only been at it a month or so. It has gotten easier. I absolutely love the program and feel very good.

I try and eat between 11 AM and 7 PM daily, thereby having a good fasting period. The less often I eat, the better my planning goes!

I also do down days as often as I can -- no regular schedule with that -- but I keep my calories under 700. My favorite down day is mostly potatoes, because they are so satisfying. I like the little red spuds. I just boil a bunch to have on hand. I eat them cold with salt and mustard. Weird, eh?

My top weight was 250 lbs in 2005. I lost most of it with Atkins, and have been maintaining for over 6 years now. I've lost 4 lbs since Jan 13th, when I incorporated down days sporadically. I do want to lose the rest of my weight, but more than that, I want a long-term, workable discipline I can stick with for life. I think I've found my "groove."

In addition to the ingredients on the Nori wrap video, I add thin strips of cucumber.

I'm 60 too, Cici. My avatar shows a man (my husband), but I'm a female.

Thanks for the welcomes.

Last edited by BlueSojourn; 02-08-2013 at 05:10 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #702
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Potatoes are an every single day item for me. I am in complete amazement! I honestly tried my best to shun them when I did paleo and Juddd. I don't eat a lot and I never fret about what I eat with them. Mostly broth, but now and then some veggies and butter. It is like going home.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #703
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojourn View Post
I'm not an expert yet -- only been at it a month or so. It has gotten easier. I absolutely love the program and feel very good.

I try and eat between 11 AM and 7 PM daily, thereby having a good fasting period. The less often I eat, the better my planning goes!

I also do down days as often as I can -- no regular schedule with that -- but I keep my calories under 700. My favorite down day is mostly potatoes, because they are so satisfying. I like the little red spuds. I just boil a bunch to have on hand. I eat them cold with salt and mustard. Weird, eh?

My top weight was 250 lbs in 2005. I lost most of it with Atkins, and have been maintaining for over 6 years now. I've lost 4 lbs since Jan 13th, when I incorporated down days sporadically. I do want to lose the rest of my weight, but more than that, I want a long-term, workable discipline I can stick with for life. I think I've found my "groove."

In addition to the ingredients on the Nori wrap video, I add thin strips of cucumber.

I'm 60 too, Cici. My avatar shows a man (my husband), but I'm a female.

Thanks for the welcomes.
HI, Glad you joined the thread. I love learning from everyone's experience! It's funny, but Nancy and I are 60 too!!
Thanks for sharing your nori recipe!
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #704
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hey BlueSojourn! I am very impressed at how much weight you lost, that you have kept it off, and - as so many of us on this journey - your focus has not turned to eating for health! There is so much to learn...I am working my way through the PHD book - can see it is going to take mutiple readings - wow.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #705
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Potatoes are every meal for me now and, I must say, I am loving life! While I don't doubt that many of us are more susceptible to insulin spikes than others (I am actually one of them), I have to say it's very disconcerting to hear something along the lines of "Well, I did induction for 4 months, then had a potato, and my blood sugar skyrocketed--proof that potatoes are BAD!" I really don't think that many people understand that they're inducing physiological insulin resistance and OF COURSE your body is going to react poorly initially to the carbohydrates. The body is smart and does not stay "prepared" for something you've proven you won't be eating often. A similar thing happens with long-time veg*ns when they first eat meat again and say it's like lead in their tummies.

Whew . . . didn't mean to go crazy there! ha ha! Again, I totally understand that we are all different, etc. etc., but now that I've discovered that the safe starches are in fact distinct from wheat for me and I question "all carbs are bad, for everyone, all the time," it's enlightening. And I may revise all this tomorrow. Such is science and the ever-changing human body.

As for me, I am still plugging along. I am losing quite slowly right now but I know it's because a) my calories are a bit too high many days and b) I still have more than a few non PHD-compliant goodies in my lineup. Ahem. But I am still losing slowly and ready to ramp it up again after this quasi-maintenance "break." I guess after 60 lbs a little break is okay, but I'm ready to finish 'er off!

Welcome, BlueSojourn!

Thank you for all of the kind hellos!!!! I am here reading every night, even when I don't have time to comment. LOVE!

One of the things I'm working on now are various meal plans for PHD. I will definitely share them when I have more!

Last edited by mttemple4; 02-09-2013 at 06:33 AM..
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #706
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Potatoes .... It is like going home.

So true! Comfort food extraordinaire!~
Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #707
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was just thinking since Cici brought this up about what all foods that I may still be eating that I need to let go because they are not really PHD. One other that is not allowed is seeds, so I am assuming that we probably shouldn't eat raw pumpkin seeds???

Does anyone know? I couldn't find it on the PHD website and I have loaned my book to my office colleague.

from World's Healthiest Foods site~

Quote:
It's the diversity of antioxidants in pumpkin seeds that makes them unique in their antioxidant support. Pumpkin seeds contain conventional antioxidant vitamins like vitamin E. However, not only do they contain vitamin E, but they contain it in a wide variety of forms. Alpha-tocopherol, gamma-tocopherol, delta-tocopherol, alpha-tocomonoenol and gamma-tocomonoenol are all forms of vitamin E found in pumpkin seeds. These last two forms have only recently been discovered, and they are a topic of special interest in vitamin E research, since their bioavailability might be greater than some of the other vitamin E forms. Pumpkin seeds also contain conventional mineral antioxidants like zinc and manganese. Phenolic antioxidants are found in pumpkin seeds in a wide variety of forms, including the phenolic acids hydroxybenzoic, caffeic, coumaric, ferulic, sinapic, protocatechuic, vanillic, and syringic acid. Antioxidant phytonutrients like lignans are also found in pumpkin seeds, including the lignans pinoresinol, medioresinol, and lariciresinol.

Interestingly, this diverse mixture of antioxidants in pumpkin seeds may provide them with antioxidant-related properties that are not widely found in food. For example, the pro-oxidant enzyme lipoxygenase (LOX) is known to be inhibited by pumpkin seed extracts, but not due to the presence of any single family of antioxidant nutrients (for example, the phenolic acids described earlier). Instead, the unique diversity of antioxidants in pumpkin seeds is most likely responsible for this effect.

Diabetes

Most of the evidence we've seen about pumpkin seeds and prevention or treatment of diabetes has come from animal studies. For this reason, we consider research in this area to be preliminary. However, recent studies on laboratory animals have shown the ability of ground pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed extracts, and pumpkin seed oil to improve insulin regulation in diabetic animals and to prevent some unwanted consequences of diabetes on kidney function. Decrease in oxidative stress has played a key role in many studies that show benefits of pumpkin seeds for diabetic animals.

Antimicrobial Benefits

Pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed extracts, and pumpkin seed oil have long been valued for their anti-microbial benefits, including their anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. Research points to the role of unique proteins in pumpkin seeds as the source of many antimicrobial benefits. The lignans in pumpkin seeds (including pinoresinol, medioresinol, and lariciresinol) have also been shown to have antimicrobial—and especially anti-viral— properties. Impact of pumpkin seed proteins and pumpkin seed phytonutrients like lignans on the activity of a messaging molecule called interferon gamma (IFN-gamma) is likely to be involved in the antimicrobial benefits associated with this food.

Cancer-Related Benefits

Because oxidative stress is known to play a role in the development of some cancers, and pumpkin seeds are unique in their composition of antioxidant nutrients, it's not surprising to find some preliminary evidence of decreased cancer risk in association with pumpkin seed intake. However, the antioxidant content of pumpkin seeds has not been the focus of preliminary research in this cancer area. Instead, the research has focused on lignans. Only breast cancer and prostate cancer seem to have received much attention in the research world in connection with pumpkin seed intake, and much of that attention has been limited to the lignan content of pumpkin seeds. To some extent, this same focus on lignans has occurred in research on prostate cancer as well. For these reasons, we cannot describe the cancer-related benefits of pumpkin seeds as being well-documented in the research, even though pumpkin seeds may eventually be shown to have important health benefits in this area.

Possible Benefits for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)

Pumpkin seed extracts and oils have long been used in treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH). BPH is a health problem involving non-cancer enlargement of the prostate gland, and it commonly affects middle-aged and older men in the U.S. Studies have linked different nutrients in pumpkin seeds to their beneficial effects on BPH, including their phytosterols, lignans, and zinc. Among these groups, research on phytosterols is the strongest, and it centers on three phytosterols found in pumpkin seeds: beta-sitosterol, sitostanol, and avenasterol. The phytosterols campesterol, stigmasterol, and campestanol have also been found in pumpkin seeds in some studies. Unfortunately, studies on BPH have typically involved extracts or oils rather than pumpkin seeds themselves. For this reason, it's just not possible to tell whether everyday intake of pumpkin seeds in food form has a beneficial impact on BPH. Equally impossible to determine is whether intake of pumpkin seeds in food form can lower a man's risk of BPH. We look forward to future studies that will hopefully provide us with answers to those questions.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #708
Major LCF Poster!

I am under the impression that the problem with seeds in general is the high Omega 6. This is from living strong

Quote:
Omega-3 to Omega-6 Ratios
Pumpkin seeds contain a very small amount of omega-3 fatty acid, 0.155 g of alpha-linolenic acid in a 1-cup serving, according to the United States Department of Agriculture. Most commercially available pumpkin seed oil contains no linoleic acid at all, according to Ask Dr. Sears, the website of author and pediatrician William Sears, M.D. Dr. Sears states that high-quality pumpkin oil contains omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a ratio of 3:1, a healthy ratio. Pumpkin seed oil generally contains from 45 to 60 percent linoleic acid and 0 to 15 percent alpha-linoleic acid.

Establishing an Ideal Ratio
Human beings probably evolved eating a 1:1 ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids, the Washington, D.C. Center for Genetics, Nutrition and Health reported in the October 2002 issue of "Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy." Today, the ratio is closer to 15:1 in the United States and other Western countries. Consuming a ratio of 4:1 decreases the risk of mortality from cardiovascular disease by 70 percent, researchers state.

Alpha-Linolenic Acid Breakdown
Although ALA does break down into its better known and more thoroughly tested relatives, omega-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA, the conversion rate varies from men to women, with women converting more ALA to both DHA and EPA. A British study conducted by the Institute of Human Nutrition and reported in the October 2002 "British Journal of Nutrition" found that healthy young women converted around 21 percent of ALA to EPA and 9 percent to DHA. For men, the percentage fell to 8 percent conversion to EPA and 0 to 4 percent to DHA.

Considerations
Pumpkin seed oil is not an ideal source of omega-3 fatty acids. In the plant world, flaxseed serves as a much better source of ALA. In the animal world, fish oil contains DHA and EPA. Poor conversion of ALA to DHA and EPA means that the omega-3 fatty acid benefits in pumpkin seeds may be limited.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 AM   #709
Major LCF Poster!

That said, there is a trend to say "never eat this because (insert the one thing here)...." when in reality, there are many benefits to be had if one doesn't over do any one thing. I am aiming for a variety which will yield the benefits of these foods, but minimize the effects of overconsumption of any one thing.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #710
Senior LCF Member

Yes, and linoleic acid from the seeds. I was listening to one of my favorites, Mat LaLonde, in a "vintage" 2010 Jimmy Moore podcast yesterday. He said his view towards seeds is that you can have them, but you should recognize that there's a profound difference in the amount we can eat at once now when compared to the paleolithic.

His quote was something like, "Imagine how many sunflower seeds I'd have in an hour if I had to gather them and shell them. On the other hand, I can now go into Trader Joe's an eat an entire JAR of almond butter."

Mat aligns with Paul and Shou-Ching on just about everything, in my research.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #711
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post

I bought some Omega 3 eggs today instead of cage free. Anybody know anything aabout them. Seems they add flax seed to the feed. Supposedly 660 mg Omega 3/egg and a 1/1 ratio of O3/O6. Was thinking they would be good for mayo.

It's a process to be sure.
Did a little snooping around regarding these. Apparently, if they don't say cage free, they are just factory raised like any other chicken with the exception of the flax mash in their feed. Like maybe they are another frankenfood. Will eat them but probably not buy again.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #712
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks to both of you! Very interested in learning more about this part of the PHD. I may listen to him as well. Also, Chris Kresser seems to align very closely to PHD and has written a book "Beyond Paleo". So interested to see that his blog today is about bone broth and lead toxicity. I am marking to read and will come back with any info that I can glean.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #713
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I enjoy Chris Kresser too! There's an EXCELLENT podcast with Chris Kresser and Mat LaLonde (will come up with Google) called "what science does (and doesn't) tell us about the paleo diet." I also enjoyed Mat's podcast on Ask the Low Carb Experts called "all about calories."

I might have enjoyed the part where he told an incredulous Jimmy Moore that calories DO matter a little too much.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #714
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttemple4 View Post
Yes, I enjoy Chris Kresser too! There's an EXCELLENT podcast with Chris Kresser and Mat LaLonde (will come up with Google) called "what science does (and doesn't) tell us about the paleo diet." I also enjoyed Mat's podcast on Ask the Low Carb Experts called "all about calories."

I might have enjoyed the part where he told an incredulous Jimmy Moore that calories DO matter a little too much.
Ha! I am interested to hear this one too! Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #715
Senior LCF Member

No problem! I am a Mat LaLonde fan, can you tell? Mat + The Jaminets = the best!

Isn't it fun going down the rabbit hole? So much to learn, so little time!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #716
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am just now learning about him. I think I have read or listened to him on various paleo/health sites. Very interesting to read that he is another Organic Chem grad from Harvard. Now off to find more of his good thoughts...

From Canada's National Post...

Quote:
Lalonde, a passionate scientist with a PhD in organic chemistry from Harvard, has travelled far – from his Cambridge lab – to speak to the group. The self-proclaimed “geek” looks nothing like the stereotype of the nerdy scientist, just the opposite. Tall, handsome and impossibly fit, Lalonde definitely appears to know a thing or two about optimal nutrition. And I’m not the only one who thinks so – in addition to the thirty-five people in the room, there are another forty or so, streaming the seminar live from various locations in North America.
Oh and the Paleo Summit is coming up and I can't wait to watch the youtube documentaries following the summit!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #717
Senior LCF Member

Yes, he does not have his own site but has been on Robb Wolf's podcast, Jimmy's, Kresser's. He has a few videos on YouTube. He also has an 8-hour nutrition seminar that you can purchase (to view online) that's pretty hard to find but supposedly wonderful. Waiting until my work settles down a bit to check that out.

And yes, he is cute. ha ha!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #718
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici and Joyce, I am not going to worry and obsess over the small details yet. I think I am doing good to stay away from the wheat, grains, and fructose. I am just enjoying the new foods and old and taters.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #719
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cici and Joyce, I am not going to worry and obsess over the small details yet. I think I am doing good to stay away from the wheat, grains, and fructose. I am just enjoying the new foods and old and taters.
Amen, Sister.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #720
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, I just read his article and was relieved to know that we can relieve our fear of bone broth and lead toxins. Although, I understand that the cause for concern would be much more if we drank more than 3 cups per day.

Quote:
We are what we eat — and animals are no exception

It’s also plausible that the diet and living conditions of the animals we use to make bone broth will significantly influence the levels of lead their bones, and thus the broth, contain. Food, water, soil and dust are the largest sources of exposure to lead in farm animals. It appears that cereal grains contribute most to dietary exposure to lead. (8) Although I have not seen any comparative data on this, it’s thus reasonable to assume that pasture-raised chickens who eat a combination of forage and grain-based feed would have lower lead levels than conventionally-raised chickens that eat only grain-based feed.

I hope to have some data that will help answer this question in the coming weeks. Jessica Prentice, one of the worker-owners of the Three Stone Hearth community-supported kitchen in Berkeley, CA, has sent samples of their bone broth in to get tested for lead. They make their broth with pasture-raised chickens, so we’ll have at least one example of lead levels in pastured chicken broth to draw from.

That said, given that the levels of lead in the chicken broth tested in the Medical Hypotheses study were below the EPA established safe upper limit for drinking water, and given the protective effect of several nutrients abundant in Paleo/GAPS diets (and even in broth itself), it seems to me that it’s quite safe to consume 2-3 cups of bone broth per day. This is likely to be even more true if your broth is made from pasture-raised chickens.

I’ll continue to investigate this issue and report back if I learn anything that changes my opinion.