Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:57 AM   #661
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/IDK/140
WOE: Currently JUDDD
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Wow!! I like that!
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #662
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Sven, great idea on the seaweed seasoning.

Sunday, thanks for posting all of that. I hate cutting the additional butter and cream, but something has to be cut.

I was re-reading the vitamin and micronutrient sections of the book in more detail and see areas I need to correct. I worked in a vitamin store for awhile in my life, and this info is quite a bit different of course. The info on taking folate is interesting to me. Well it is all interesting to me. I am incorporating new changes one at a time now. I feel I have the 16/8 established well now, the bone broth, fermented foods, and avoiding wheat and legume toxins. I still need to work on some of the other grains and omega 6's. I am still eating some sugar in the way of 85% chocolate. This isn't PHD, but I am exercising 15 minutes in the AM while I am fasting. I am also trying to get 10-15 minutes of sun on my skin in the AM.
I've got some of the supplements in my routine, but need to work on others.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and input. It is helping me solidify things. Where is Joyce? I miss her input too!

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-07-2013 at 08:16 AM..
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #663
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Joyce is one who has done this for a while and I really do enjoy hearing from the longer term PHDers.

Bev, I was planning to keep the EVCO in. Do you think I should go ahead and ditch? I have the Vit D3 & K2 sublingual. I haven't begun the seaweed, selenium, iodine or the folate.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #664
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Joyce is one who has done this for a while and I really do enjoy hearing from the longer term PHDers.

Bev, I was planning to keep the EVCO in. Do you think I should go ahead and ditch? I have the Vit D3 & K2 sublingual. I haven't begun the seaweed, selenium, iodine or the folate.
I hope Joyce will check in.

I am keeping the EVCO in. I think that is important for us. For me, I definitely can cut back on butter and cream. I am not cutting it out, but I was doing high fat for so long, I was pretty liberal with my Kerrygold. I love that stuff and could eat it by the spoonful if allowed.

For the selenium, I am using brazil nuts for now. Just a couple.
I stopped taking a multivitamin due to excess of some of the vitamins he was talking about. Interesting info on prenatal vitamins. At the clinic I worked at, moms-to-be were advised to take extra folic acid to avoid neural tube defects, so now I am interested in how Paul feels we get excess synthetic folic acid through all the fortification of products with potential health problems that could result.

I am going to have to go through the book in detail and record minimum amounts of things we should get and things to avoid. Some things need to be taken daily and some once a week and some not at all!! It is reorganizing my thinking!

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-07-2013 at 08:42 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #665
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I hope Joyce will check in.

For the selenium, I am using brazil nuts for now. Just a couple.
I stopped taking a multivitamin due to excess of some of the vitamins he was talking about. Interesting info on prenatal vitamins. At the clinic I worked at, moms-to-be were advised to take extra folic acid to avoid neural tube defects, so now I am interested in how Paul feels we get excess synthetic folic acid through all the fortification of products with potential health problems that could result.

I am going to have to go through the book in detail and record minimum amounts of things we should get and things to avoid. Some things need to be taken daily and some once a week and some not at all!! It is reorganizing my thinking!
I am so glad that you used to work with supplements/vitamins! Thanks for the tip on brazil nuts. What about iodine? Wouldn't seaweed be sufficient? Any other good tips, please let me know.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #666
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I am so glad that you used to work with supplements/vitamins! Thanks for the tip on brazil nuts. What about iodine? Wouldn't seaweed be sufficient? Any other good tips, please let me know.
I am kind of at a standstill right now on supplementing. My training in the past doesn't reflect the moment by moment changes.

I know that the interactions between selenium and iodine are vital. Like potassium and sodium. There is a necessary balance.
I used to think that iodine was sufficient if you ate seaweed and ate seafood. But then i was told that iodine via seaweed is also giving you thyrotoxic metals and halides so it was said this is not the best source. And if you increase iodine suddenly it can cause some hypothyroid issues.

So the balance with selenium seems to be very important and iodine should always be increased gradually if you are going to increase it. My nutrition guru told me to stop taking kelp and use potassium iodide.

I am going to search more on the PHD website for current thought on this as i don't want to cause myself thyroid issues by taking the wrong thing or moving to quickly with it or getting my selenium /iodine out of balance!! I wish there were just easy blood tests to show exactly where we are deficient and methods to rectify!

You have to be a scientist, I swear!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #667
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Something has helped balance my thyroid and it has to be the coconut oil, or so I believe. I can't imagine that bb or taters has anything to do with it.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #668
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Wow! Thanks, Sunday for the great info. I pasted it in the top of my PHD notes document. It was kind of coool to come here after a really good morning of doing good things and find confirmation, explanation and a plan of action. Nice explanation on the fat issue. Brings to mind the question of malfunctioning adipose tissue. Hope that is not the reason some of us can't seem to find a plan that results in weight loss.

7a.m. - Coffee w/1T BuCo and 1T organic half/half, 3 eggs (cagefree organic ), plus sweet pepper, onion, spinach and 3 oz cold potato (stirred into scramble just before serving).

Noon - 3oz sweetpotato (warmed only by soup poured over in bowl), 1/2c saurkraut, 4/3 tomato, 1 oz beef, 1t beef fat, 1c beef bone broth, 1T BuCO. Since the tomatoes cooked down, there is still 1c broth remaining in pot for a snack later.

Salmon/broccoli/roasted tomato sauce.

Also loved the personal testimonial. Wouldn't it be nice if this would happen for some of us post meno women? I really hope we are all on the path to recovery here.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM   #669
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Something has helped balance my thyroid and it has to be the coconut oil, or so I believe. I can't imagine that bb or taters has anything to do with it.
Absolutely!! and yay!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Wow! Thanks, Sunday for the great info. I pasted it in the top of my PHD notes document. It was kind of coool to come here after a really good morning of doing good things and find confirmation, explanation and a plan of action. Nice explanation on the fat issue. Brings to mind the question of malfunctioning adipose tissue. Hope that is not the reason some of us can't seem to find a plan that results in weight loss.

7a.m. - Coffee w/1T BuCo and 1T organic half/half, 3 eggs (cagefree organic ), plus sweet pepper, onion, spinach and 3 oz cold potato (stirred into scramble just before serving).

Noon - 3oz sweetpotato (warmed only by soup poured over in bowl), 1/2c saurkraut, 4/3 tomato, 1 oz beef, 1t beef fat, 1c beef bone broth, 1T BuCO. Since the tomatoes cooked down, there is still 1c broth remaining in pot for a snack later.

Salmon/broccoli/roasted tomato sauce.

Also loved the personal testimonial. Wouldn't it be nice if this would happen for some of us post meno women? I really hope we are all on the path to recovery here.

I do my eggs and potatoes the same way!! I agree and hope too that good things will happen to those of us who are post menopausal. Happy healing to us all.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 AM   #670
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There are several amazing weight loss testimonials. One of my fav is Erp, 77 year's young woman who discovered PHD due to needing knee replacement surgery. I will try and find it later and post. I see something new each day from another newbie who has converted.

Cici! I your menu today!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #671
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
You have to be a scientist, I swear!!
Somewhere I feel this way too, but deep inside I believe that the body is a miraculously intelligent and orderly creation and when it is healthy, it will filter out most toxins and will balance itself if given all the right ingredients. The human race has survived a long time before science was able to measure the unseen and many ancient religions learned to avoid things that scientists are just now warning us against. The main and most difficult toxins to avoid now seem to be the ones we (the human race) have polluted the earth and grocery shelves with. Sometimes I think it is too late to avoid those for the most part and am sad for my grandchildren who may pay the price even more dearly than my generation (which at least had a pretty clean beginning).

Well, starting to feel preachy so will stop here.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #672
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Hope this is the case. I feel more energetic with it. So far no recurrence of the rash.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #673
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Somewhere I feel this way too, but deep inside I believe that the body is a miraculously intelligent and orderly creation and when it is healthy, it will filter out most toxins and will balance itself if given all the right ingredients. The human race has survived a long time before science was able to measure the unseen and many ancient religions learned to avoid things that scientists are just now warning us against. The main and most difficult toxins to avoid now seem to be the ones we (the human race) have polluted the earth and grocery shelves with. Sometimes I think it is too late to avoid those for the most part and am sad for my grandchildren who may pay the price even more dearly than my generation (which at least had a pretty clean beginning).

Well, starting to feel preachy so will stop here.
You have a valid point re: the grandchildren. The good thing is... today's generation of parents are so much more savvy about nutrition. The way the food industry is changing shows that parental input is being heeded regarding fats and sugars and empty calories. I have hope. The only way it's really going to change is if the products offered continue to make money for the big companies. Look at 'Hostess'...and who buys donuts anymore? Like tobacco companies, if the "junk food" industries don't diversify and grow with today's healthier trends...they will vanish. This is good news for us as consumers.

Now I'm getting preachy...
Here we go again....
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #674
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I use a seasoning blend that has some seaweed in it to sprinkle on hard-boiled eggs, as well as putting a bit of seaweed into my beef broth. I saw that my favorite brand of smoked oysters in olive oil was back on the store shelves again (along with a variant that had some red pepper seasoning along with the olive oil).

I hope that you are able to start experiencing better sleep, Cici. I find that my sleep and circadian rhythms have gotten much better since I started doing lowcarb, but it doesn't work that way for everyone. Have you tried magnesium or melatonin as sleep aids?
Thanks for the seaweed tip.

As for the sleep aids:

melatonin will put me to sleep quickly like an Rx but I wake after 4 hours like clockwork, unable to go back to sleep without taking it again;

RE Magnesium, I am doing epsom salt baths every few days. No severe cramping since starting them but have also given up NK so it may be a combination of the two. It doesn't seem to effect my sleep;

Both Valarium and Tryptophan seem to help in a gentler way. They seem to quiet and relax me to enjoy a more normal sleep, sometimes for 6-7 hours. I never think of taking anything until I have missed a couple nights sleep in a row and am in pretty bad shape.

I never nap. I do try to go to bed at 10 every night and eat breakfast at 7am, but no sleep generally means eating earlier and being hungrier. Have moved all electronics out of the sleeping area and shut the blinds after dark. I do watch TV from 8until 10 and am not willing to give up all prime time but sometimes do nod off watching the 9:00 show so maybe could cut back there.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #675
Major LCF Poster!

I just called the Mediterranean Market in our town to check for grassfed meat since they carry halal products. The package does not say grassfed but does say all natural, no antibiotics or hormones. I asked about bones and he said he could save lamb and veal bones for me for FREEEEEEEeeeeeee! This is very exciting news as at least a step in the right direction. And did I mention FREEE! I pick them up Monday.

Last edited by cici52; 02-07-2013 at 11:23 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #676
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
You have a valid point re: the grandchildren. The good thing is... today's generation of parents are so much more savvy about nutrition. The way the food industry is changing shows that parental input is being heeded regarding fats and sugars and empty calories. I have hope. The only way it's really going to change is if the products offered continue to make money for the big companies. Look at 'Hostess'...and who buys donuts anymore? Like tobacco companies, if the "junk food" industries don't diversify and grow with today's healthier trends...they will vanish. This is good news for us as consumers.

Now I'm getting preachy...
That is a good point.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #677
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bones! Yay Cici!
My bison and osso buco came in yesterday! I am still drinking the beef broth, but as soon as I can... probably tomorrow... will start up a new batch of bison.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #678
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
I just called the Mediterranean Market in our town to check for grassfed meat since they carry halal products. The package does not say grassfed but does say all natural, no antibiotics or hormones. I asked about bones and he said he could save lamb and veal bones for me for FREEEEEEEeeeeeee! This is very exciting news as at least a step in the right direction. And did I mention FREEE! I pick them up Monday.
I'm so that you've found a supplier of free, healthy bones, Cici! I hope you enjoy lots of delicious and healthy broth.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #679
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The light bulb is just going off for me like crazy! Page 184-185 of the PHD book just explains so much to me! Why I did okay for the first round of HCG and then couldn't do it any longer. Why low carb worked for awhile and then stopped. Why JUDDD worked great for six months and then I stopped losing. Why some people do great for long periods on diets and others don't. Ding ding ding!

Weight loss should be easy and hunger-free. It is ESSENTIAL to be well nourished- not just to get enough of every nutrient, but to consume nutrients in the right proportions so that there is a deficiency of nothing and an excess of nothing.

It just all makes so much sense and explains the personal challenges I have been up against. I have been a very very malnourished woman for a long long time. No wonder I have been experiencing the situations I have! It's kind of mind blowing.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #680
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Beverly, I think this has been many of us here on LCFs. I did not struggle with JUDDD at first, but after I finally did the math and figured out that I am only eating 950 calories avg and I most certainly wasn't eating all nutrition, in fact, some UDs, I ate very bad. NO wonder I was struggling to let go of 1 lb! Makes me so very happy that we found PHD!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #681
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mttemple4
Hola ladies! I'm here!!

I have been super busy (I know we all are) and have been limiting reading of the thread to nighttime and hence finding myself too tired to post (in addition to my flagrant flaunting of the circadian rhythm advice, lol!).

Will check in with a more substantial post soon. LOVE this thread so darn much!!!
mttemple4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:29 AM   #682
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Quote:
The light bulb is just going off for me like crazy! Page 184-185 of the PHD book just explains so much to me! Why I did okay for the first round of HCG and then couldn't do it any longer. Why low carb worked for awhile and then stopped. Why JUDDD worked great for six months and then I stopped losing. Why some people do great for long periods on diets and others don't. Ding ding ding!

Weight loss should be easy and hunger-free. It is ESSENTIAL to be well nourished- not just to get enough of every nutrient, but to consume nutrients in the right proportions so that there is a deficiency of nothing and an excess of nothing.

It just all makes so much sense and explains the personal challenges I have been up against. I have been a very very malnourished woman for a long long time. No wonder I have been experiencing the situations I have! It's kind of mind blowing.
Happy dance for Beverly!

I have not read that far in the book yet, but I am a huge believer that, when the body is under stress, it holds onto what it's got. Probably the reason JUDDD kept working for me was - despite the frequent vaycays and opulent eating - most days, while my calories were dictated by JUDDD, the foods and proportions I ate were approximately the proportions PHD defines.

Darling Twin, your body is still recovering from the double whammy of a major Crohn's attack and steroids. PHD and time to complete the recovery are the double whammy you need now. Further weight loss will come I truly believe that.

Sunday, I am 100% with you on (a) having serious troubles completely stopping the DD/UD rotation, and (b) only being able to eat that many calories if I eat out - in which case I am probably not eating healthy.
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:55 AM   #683
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMgoodness gracious! One more wonderful benefit to the 16 hour fast, is that I am sleeping snug as a bug in a rug.
Jaminet is definitely on target about the circadian rhythm and this method of eating. Wow! I am one who used to enjoy staying up late on the weekends. Or when I didn't have to be at the office in the morn. Well, I have been struggling to stay up to 11 pm and I am up at 6 or earlier every single morn, like clockwork. Also, Jaminet has a theory about our circadian rhythm and hypothyroidism. He believes that this is the reason some of us end up with hypo symptoms. Could this be why my thyroid is starting to work again? Wow. I am amazed with his simple yet so important advice. It is true.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 02-08-2013, 05:12 AM   #684
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have decided that I am going to add a bit of white rice to bone broth soup and try to rotate the bb/mashed taters combo with bb/rice.

My choc lab and boxer have been getting the pleasure to have some of my bone broth daily in their dry food. Now, in the past, I always poured a bit of Swanson's chicken broth on top of their dry to trick them and of course it works.
They love it! Well, I decided to share my latest batch and add a bit of bone both to their bowls. ROFL, you would think it was Thanksgiving! My boxer will stay long after her bowl is licked dry and keep licking as if she has missed a smidgeon.

Nancy, you look fantastic!!! So happy to have your wisdom here.

Last edited by sunday; 02-08-2013 at 05:15 AM..
Old 02-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #685
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

And, Yippee! Joyce is alive and well. We knew if we kept mentioning your name.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #686
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/114.8/128 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD - 1/1/12 + intermittent LCHF
Ahh-oooo-ga! ahhh-oooooooo-ga!

Onions/garlic/etc are poisonous for dogs, and especially for cats! I have thought about removing some bb for my cat - then adding veggies and finishing the cooking...unfortunately I never think about it before I add the veggies. Sunday, be careful.
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #687
Major LCF Poster!

Ooh, Nancy! Love the new pic. Line dancing? Happy occasion for sure.

Hola, Joyce! Good to see you.

Am still in shock after sleeping until 7 this morning. That is 9 hours sleep and almost 15 hours fast last night. Kind of feel like I'm behind this morning because of it but don't really have anywhere to go so it doesn't matter.

Planning a similar menu to yesterday. Did not need a snack so the three meals worked very well. This morning planned to have some grapefruit instead of potato but was really full after the omlette so will see if I can get it in later. Maybe there is hope for me yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #688
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good Morning Ladies!! What a wonderful thread. Now I don't have the PHD book but I've been reading here daily and 'taking heed' of the advice and recommendations (well a lot of them, still no bone broth or liver). I've been stalled on WW but I don't want to give up just yet. For the last two days I've eliminated GF bread and I included exclusiviely eggs, salmon, salad w/ evoo, chicken, green tea, yogurt and butternut squash. For the last two days I've lost a huge amount of water (yay) and finally saw scale movement. I had a loss coming for sure but the news is I was satisfied with my food, it felt good and right. I felt happier and more content. I'm ready for another day of the same!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #689
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Ahh-oooo-ga! ahhh-oooooooo-ga!

Onions/garlic/etc are poisonous for dogs, and especially for cats! I have thought about removing some bb for my cat - then adding veggies and finishing the cooking...unfortunately I never think about it before I add the veggies. Sunday, be careful.
Oh, yes, I made sure that I didn't add onions to my last broth. Although, I did add a bit of garlic. So what do you think? No more bb? Maybe, I should skim some broth before adding any herbs next time? Just thinking???
Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #690
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici and Blonde, It is so good to hear that the simple changes are making you feel great!

I noticed one more thing about dinner time and wanted to throw this out for any who have thought about the 8 hour window. I really make certain that I eat something chockful of nutrition in the last meal of the day. Even if I indulge in goodies. Is this psychological? I believe in the past for me, I would sometimes eat a couple pieces of pizza and then a glass of wine. Nothing wrong with it, but around 9:00 pm I would be pondering snacks. The thing is now, when I know that my last meal is 6 and nothing until 10 am tomorrow. I make sure that I add some bone broth or veggies to that pizza and wine. Because I am not going back to graze later on in the evening. Just not having it. LOL!