Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #541
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Here's another liver story: One of the nutrition-related books that I read recently told about an experiment in which rats were fed various types of diet and then put in water (they had to keep swimming or drown). The rats fed on a diet of liver went on swimming for hours and hours, while the other rats gave up after a few minutes. Seems like a rather cruel experiment, but nonetheless a testiment to the wonders of liver.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #542
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
The Scharffen Bergen is something I have been eyeing for a while. I think I am going to order it! Has anyone had the cocoa powder?

Well, gang, I just placed my order for cartilage and marrow with a few extra goodies at US Wellness. To locate their site google eathealthy grasslandbeef. Has anyone here ever tried Beef Osso Buco?

I have never heard of this, so trying. Will use the bones for broth.
Quote:
This is a cut we are very excited to add to our store. We get many requests for grass-fed osso buco or beef shanks, which contains the marrow bone with meat and tendon attached. This will make an excellent stock and a great centerpiece for a family dinner, and there are many great osso buco recipes to follow.
U.S. Wellness Meats Items
2 Knuckle Bone Cartilage @ $4.56 = $9.12
1 Beef Snack Sticks Nitrate and MSG Free @ $5.59 = $5.59
1 Liverwurst @ $9.48 = $9.48
2 Paleo Trail Mix @ $4.67 = $9.34
1 Bison Marrow Bones @ $8.49 = $8.49 Each 2-lb package contains approximately 6-8 bones total, cut 2 inches thick.
1 Beef Osso Buco @ $12.00 = $12.00
1 GoodOnYa - Breakfast Bar @ $2.67 = $2.67
2 GoodOnYa - Peanut Butter Honey Bar @ $2.67 = $5.34
1 Bison Jerky @ $7.99 = $7.99

Sub-Total: $70.02
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 02-03-2013 at 10:02 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #543
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Grassland sells lamb as well, but were completely sold out of the "leg of lamb" and the bones. Seems like paleo people order a lot of lamb feet for bone stock, because the site said to check back? I think I will keep trying, but the problem is they have a minimum order of $75.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #544
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/210/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Here's another liver story: One of the nutrition-related books that I read recently told about an experiment in which rats were fed various types of diet and then put in water (they had to keep swimming or drown). The rats fed on a diet of liver went on swimming for hours and hours, while the other rats gave up after a few minutes. Seems like a rather cruel experiment, but nonetheless a testiment to the wonders of liver.
That is good to know in case Charlie ever falls in the pond.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #545
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
Sorry, sorry, sorry - life has accelerated to mach 7. There should be time to finish reading this thread and reply in depth in the morning. But for now

egg shells in bone broth - yes, yes, yes. Chicken & duck feet ditto when I can get 'em.

Chocolate - 100% - love it, love it, love it.

16 hour fasts will release sirtuin enzymes. And for many of us who have been coasting on them for a long time the shorter fasting period - and lesser enzyme release - may be a very healthy thing. I will explain that one when tomorrow... but - as a hint - Sunday, run some searches on what sirts do once they have finished cleaning up the dead wood in their cells.

hugs to all of you!!! I am up, up, and in some direction awaaaaaaay!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 02-03-2013 at 12:31 PM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #546
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Me too! I have repressed a few memories, somehow in my sleep, my weakness/lapse will sneak into one of my dreams. My mischievous psyche is like that sometimes.

I am waiting on Nancy to come along because I am curious about how she would add eggshells to the broth as well? I put two organic eggshells in my broth and they won't sink so they should be easy to pick out.
I just throw the egg shells into the freezer bag of stuff saved for soup. I don't wash the shells as they still have protein attached and will be boiled. When I pull it out, the whole mess goes into the pot and I scoop it out before straining the broth and put it back in the freezer for next time. No problem. I use it a few times before tossing. I do not always get gelatin so am happy for the tips on that. Have never roasted the bones first.

Dinner was terrific. Grilled seafood plus a naked sweet potato and a Jack Daniels on ice.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #547
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: Vegetarian Moderate Carb~9/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Holy Mackerel this thread moves fast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
We posted at the exact same time. I also love the combination of dark chocolate and Pinot. It is almost decadent.
Quote:
OMG, if you go to TJ's you must look for the Lake Champlain 5star Fruit & Nut bar. It is Dark with cherries, & pecans. You know, Bev, when I first began JUDDD, I decided that I would keep dark chocolate, even if it is only on UD, but I still only portion out a small piece, ummm, I have had a day or two that I went after a bit more.

Kombucha is so wonderful! . I contemplated learning to make it, but I must admit to enjoying GT's so much that I just pick it up when I shop. My two favs are Ginger and Hibiscus.

Bev, Wishing you the best on the 8 hours! I am having my coffee with CO and Coconut Cream as we speak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
I also like the Lindt 85% bars and the Trader Joes "Chocolate Lovers" 85% bars are a real bargain. I tried the 90% Lindt bars, but wasn't a fan eaten alone, so I grated a square (~15 g) into the 3 oz cream I put over 3 oz raspberries. The 100% Ghirardelli or 99% Scharffen Berger baking chocolate are also excellent that way! The cream takes away the bitterness without sugar or other sweeteners.

Terry
Quote:
Kristin, I save the 80% and up for when I have had a glass of Pinot. I like darks, but I like to taste the salt/etc. as well.

Gosh, I enjoy all stuff "perfect health"!
Quote:
Raspberries, cream, and excellent grated chocolate! Be still my beating heart! That is what I'm going to have for dessert at my birthday party--much better than cake!
Love love love the chocolate talk and Pinot Noir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Yes, since that post, I backed off NK. Take a couple epsom salt baths/week. And am improved in that respect. No serious cramps for a bit. Have used Morton lite salt for years which is 50% potassium and had previously kept the leg cramps at bay. The all over spasms was new since NK and since I wasn't losing weight there seemed no reason to continue down that path.
Me too, Cici!

Quote:
I really wish it were true for me that I would lose weight naturally by eating the right foods, but in my experience, I need to do more than that.

For 40 years, I was a vegetarian, and I ate very little junk food, no fast food, and almost no sugar; yet, despite exercise (I walk wherever I need to go) and limiting food intake (often eating only 1 meal a day), my weight crept up to be just under the "morbidly obese" category. I made a very sincere effort to lose weight when I turned fifty, working with a nutritionist and a personal trainer and exercising 2-3 hours a day on top of my usual walking. My nutritionist told me that I wasn't eating enough, so I upped the amount that I ate; after that she described my diet as "fabulously healthy." I also worked with a physician open to alternative medicine, and took various actions like adding supplements and detoxing from mercury. None of this led me to lose any weight, and I tried for about 9 months.

About a year ago, I read Gary Taubes' book and realized that I might have to severely limit carbs and give up being a vegetarian, since I had all the signs of metabolic syndrome/marked insulin resistence. I began following Atkins, and after a couple of months modified it to include just healthy food I prepared myself, with no frankenfoods--a primal approach (paleo with organic dairy). I was losing so slowly on that (1 pound a month) that I limited protein to do NK (which helped some) and then added JUDDD.

So now I do low carb/moderate protein/high fat, track and measure/weigh everything, stick to JUDDD rotation calories, and have learned about and implemented a lot of traditional health foods (as in "Nourishing Traditions"). Much of what is consistent with the PHD is what I've been eating for several months: liver, bonebroth, free-range duck eggs, organic non-starch vegetables, seaweed, wildcaught coldwater fish, greens, coconut oil and butter, pastured beef, fermented vegetables, Greek plain yogurt, organic pastured butter and cream, cold pressed nut oils, olive oil, flaxseeds, avocados, nuts, and raw milk cheese are the things I normally eat (and no grains, no starchy vegetables, no sweeteners of any kind, no preprepared/convenience foods). Even doing all that, I lose slowly.

Fortunately, I don't have any serious health problems and can afford to pay for very high quality healthy food, and I only have to cook for myself, so there are no temptations in my kitchen. I don't have problems with craving other kinds of food, and I never ate junk food regularly anyway. The main things I wish that I could add to my diet are more fruit and some starchy vegetables (beets, carrots, yams), but I'd rather be losing weight than eating those foods.

Sorry to be so long-winded, and I really hope that everyone else here finds that she can get to a healthy weight, just by following PHD recommendations, more or less, and eating within a limited time window.

Based on my history, I'll need to do more (maybe counting carbs and calories and doing JUDDD rotations the rest of my life), but I can live with that, so long as it allows me to get to and stay at a normal/non-obese weight, eventually. I'm following the PHD thread to see others' experience and to learn other useful things I can incorporate into my own plan--such as limiting my protein intake to an 8 hour window and eating fats with minimal or no protein if I eat outside that window. (I can do that. )
Svenska thank you for sharing this! Not long winded, but very informative. I have heard of other vegetarians and vegans having trouble with metabolic disorder after many years....

This is a wonderful thread with so much great information! I appreciate every single poster here.
Blonde with a Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #548
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
[B][SIZE="3"]Svenska thank you for sharing this! Not long winded, but very informative. I have heard of other vegetarians and vegans having trouble with metabolic disorder after many years....

This is a wonderful thread with so much great information! I appreciate every single poster here.
Thank you, Blonde with a Rose. I think that a healthy vegetarian diet is especially likely to be carb heavy--lots of those "healthy whole grains," root vegetables, legumes, and fruit as diet staples (unless you eat a lot of soy foods, and I avoided soy)--so if one has a predisposition to insulin resistence, decades of eating a healthy high carb vegetarian or vegan diet can bring one to obesity pretty easily.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #549
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
svenskamae, I also appreciate and identify with so much of what you share. Just want to say yes,yes,yes when reading your posts. Hope we see a lot of you around here.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #550
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sven, I was vegan for three years a while ago, and although the food was delicious and the cooking interesting, I got fatter and fatter. There was a kind of satisfaction that was always missing. I always had a hankering for something more.
I miss the ethical peace significantly, but not the rest of it.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:18 PM   #551
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
[B]

I couldn't agree more. I have learned enough for a college degree in nutrition from all my years on this forum. People, from all walks of life, have such great things to offer.

And here and on the JUDDD threads, , people are supportive! Not always the case in other parts of the forum. There was a woman who was on here years ago who was so informed, so knowledgeable. She ended up leaving the forum because people didn't seem to appreciate her. She would spend time writing out valuable responses to people who often didn't even acknowledge the time and effort she put in to sharing herself with others. I noticed she kind of was ignored. So, like you Blonde, I appreciate everyone.

Can anyone direct me to a good source about being a vegetarian and increased risk of metabolic syndrome? I have a friend who read The China Study which I understand shuns meat and is vegetarian. He bought ten books to pass out to friends and is adopting that way of life. He has a risk of diabetes in the family. He said he isn't eating a lot of grains and starchy veges, so is that the reason people were seeing metabolic syndrome? TIA
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #552
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I found this on PHD site...

Quote:
The China Study: More Evidence for the Perfect Health Diet

Posted by Paul Jaminet on August 3, 20109 comments

I previously noted that data from the China Study reported by Denise Minger were highly supportive of the Perfect Health Diet. In particular, the China Study supported our claims that:
1.Animal protein is healthier than plant protein.
2.Dairy fats are good, but dairy proteins can be problematic.
3.Grains are bad – especially wheat – but rice is OK.
4.Calories should come predominantly from fat.

Now, Stan the Heretic has done more work in the raw China Study data and shows charts that support the Perfect Health Diet and similar diets such as Jan Kwasniewski’s Optimal Diet.

What the Perfect Health Diet and the Optimal Diet have in common is that around 65-70% of calories come from fats, not carbs or protein. (The Optimal Diet is a bit higher in protein than carbs, the Perfect Health Diet a bit higher in carbs than protein, but the two are close.) By the standard of both diets, popular diets all over the world have too much carbs and (arguably) too much protein, not enough fats.

So we would expect to see that in China, people who eat more fat have better health, while people who eat fewer carbs or less protein have better health. And that’s exactly what Stan reports.

His charts show that:
1.Cardiovascular mortality trends down as fat increases, but trends up as carb or protein intake increases.
2.Cancer mortality trends down as fat increases, but trends up as carb or protein intake increases.

Go to Stan’s site to see the charts!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #553
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
egg shells in bone broth - yes, yes, yes. Chicken & duck feet ditto when I can get 'em.

16 hour fasts will release sirtuin enzymes. And for many of us who have been coasting on them for a long time the shorter fasting period - and lesser enzyme release - may be a very healthy thing. I will explain that one when tomorrow... but - as a hint - Sunday, run some searches on what sirts do once they have finished cleaning up the dead wood in their cells.
I am so happy! I knew there is a reason I am feeling so good!

BRB!
Old 02-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #554
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here is a bit more from his research...
This makes me really want to read "Wheatbelly".

Quote:
Wheat and Obesity: More from the China Study
Posted by Paul Jaminet on September 4, 201035 comments

Obesity seems to have the same cause the world over, in both humans and lab animals: It results from food toxicity compounded by malnourishment.

The most important food toxins are cereal grains (especially wheat), omega-6-rich vegetable oils, and fructose from sugar and corn syrup.

The United States government in its wisdom chose to give agricultural subsidies to wheat, corn, and soybeans, thus reducing the price of the most toxic food crops. The natural result was to make Americans the fattest people in the world, as this chart comparing body-mass index (BMI) in 30 countries attests (from People Diabetes BMI Diagnostics, via Matthew Yglesias):

Look at the two low-obesity countries at the left of the chart: Japan and Korea are the only two Asian countries in the sample. What are they doing right?

Well, everything:
•Their staple starch is rice, not wheat. Rice is the only non-toxic cereal grain
and one of our “safe starches.”
•They consume far less vegetable oils than Americans.
•They consume far less sugar than Americans.

With a minimally toxic diet, it’s almost impossible to become obese.

Of the three main toxins, which is the most important single factor in causing obesity?

An interesting place to look for an answer is the China Study. Since some regions of China traditionally eat wheat and others rice, the China Study is especially effective at distinguishing the obesity-promoting effects of wheat toxins. The China Study compiled massive epidemiological data by region, including correlations between wheat and rice consumption and body weight and body-mass index (BMI).

Denise Minger, who is fast making herself the world’s leading interpreter of the China Study, has continued her analysis of the raw data. Denise points out that in China, wheat eaters are “fatter with fewer calories”:

In both China Study I and II, wheat is the strongest positive predictor of body weight (r = 0.65, p<0.001) out of any diet variable. And it’s not just because wheat eaters are taller, either, because wheat consumption also strongly correlates with body mass index (r = 0.58, p<0.001).

Denise goes on to point out that the correlation of BMI with wheat intake is 56%, with calorie intake only 13%.

It seems the evidence is consistent. It’s not eating more calories that makes a person fat. It’s overdosing on toxins – especially wheat toxins.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #555
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to do this, but somehow I can see someone here trying so I thought I would share this fantastic link...

Kefir Fermenters Unite!
Old 02-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #556
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Wow.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #557
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to do this, but somehow I can see someone here trying so I thought I would share this fantastic link...

Kefir Fermenters Unite!
Sunday, Thank you for the info!! I really appreciate it.And Wheat Belly is fascinating.

It's funny but I just found the Kefir Fermenter thread today. Must have been on the top of the forum I am making my coconut water kefir right now, so I checked it out. IT has tons of info and many pages to go through. I am only on page 11 so far.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #558
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsomeold View Post
Sorry, sorry, sorry - life has accelerated to mach 7. There should be time to finish reading this thread and reply in depth in the morning. But for now

I was wondering where you were. I mentioned you on my chocolate post!! I can't wait to hear where you found the info about SIRT1 and the 16 hours. I could only find where they might be activated at 24 hours. Hurry back!!
Old 02-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #559
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev,
I used to use greek yogurt to make my green smoothie, I switched to kefir and Coconut milk and OMGoodness gracious, that has to be the most refreshing drink I have ever had.

I have been making this every single day, so that I get my greens and fermentation at the same time. Please forgive me, if I have already posted this here, but I love it so much I don't want anyone else to miss out.

1 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened) 40 cals
1/4 cup of Kefir (unsweetened, plain) 50 cals
1.5 cup of baby spinach 10 cals
1 bunch of kale 30 cals
1/2 of gala apple 36 cals
30 blueberries 23 cals
1 cup of crushed ice
Blend until smooth
*add 1/4 tsp of gluc and it will be so filling that you have to divide it for DD.

Total cals 189

delish!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #560
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Bev,
I used to use greek yogurt to make my green smoothie, I switched to kefir and Coconut milk and OMGoodness gracious, that has to be the most refreshing drink I have ever had.

I have been making this every single day, so that I get my greens and fermentation at the same time. Please forgive me, if I have already posted this here, but I love it so much I don't want anyone else to miss out.

1 cup of coconut milk (unsweetened) 40 cals
1/4 cup of Kefir (unsweetened, plain) 50 cals
1.5 cup of baby spinach 10 cals
1 bunch of kale 30 cals
1/2 of gala apple 36 cals
30 blueberries 23 cals
1 cup of crushed ice
Blend until smooth
*add 1/4 tsp of gluc and it will be so filling that you have to divide it for DD.

Total cals 189

delish!
Sounds wonderful, i think I will make it. But about how many leaves is in a bunch of kale? Ours comes in bags.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #561
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, according to fit d.a.y. Kale has a lot of calories, so I just grab about a cup worth. I don't know why it is so nutrient dense? I love the flavor though. It is like drinking your veggies. I am not sure about adding other greens, but you may know of a few good nutrient rich greens to add. Also, I have frozen strawberries that I will throw in just for a change. I have even added an orange when i was needing Vitamin c. It is absolutely my fav drink and so full of goodness.

I have even add whey protein for DD to give me balance.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #562
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oops, I didn't answer your question. I will be back with a count.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #563
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have baby organic Kale in a tub this time, but have used the Kale on the stalk. I found that a cup of the baby is 34 cals, so I imagine that on the stalk you could probably use 2 of the leaves? Does that sound right? Gosh, it becomes difficult when you measure veggies.

By the way, my pot of broth tastes yabba dabba amazing! Only one thing, I notice that the aroma doesn't knock my socks off, however, the taste is awesome. Wonder how come?

I went to google And asked why the aroma with bone broth? Evidently, this is asked a lot.

On Paleo Hacks~

Quote:
My house smells horrible with bone broth brewing - am I doing something wrong?

I have had bones brewing in water since yesterday morning - I put collected beef bones in 2 pots with a couple of tbsps cider vinegar in each - my daughter (non/anti paleo) is completely grossed out by the stench - I'm not too pleased either - is this normal - did I get bad bones? I'm planning to cook them until tomorrow, but my plans may be sabotaged by the odor!!!!! Nothing but bones and water - what could cause this smell - I guess this is kind of urgent - because I would like to keep peace in the house (single old man (paleo) with 26 yr old grossed out daughter)!

On Weston Price...

Quote:
I've been making broths for a long time and seem to have a pot going all the time. My question is; Does anyone have tips on how to eliminate the smell of broth in your house while it is going? We all have come to dislike the smell, but love the broth!
I have to say its kept me from starting a batch now and then esp. in the first mths. of pregnancy!
From Domestic Man blog (btw, I enjoyed his site)
Quote:
As a word of warning, straight bone stock smells and tastes unlike what you might expect. This is normal, and your soups will still turn out great. If you want a more traditional, “beefy” taste from the outset, you can add some beef chunks with the bones.
From Holistic Squid blog ()
Quote:
Be forewarned. This stuff doesn’t smell good while cooking, but I promise your final product will taste and smell nothing like the work in progress.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #564
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
svenskamae, I also appreciate and identify with so much of what you share. Just want to say yes,yes,yes when reading your posts. Hope we see a lot of you around here.
Right back atcha, as they say here, Cici! I always appreciate your posts, too, and I'm happy that you are contributing to this group/thread. I definitely plan to visit and post here regularly.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #565
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sven, I was vegan for three years a while ago, and although the food was delicious and the cooking interesting, I got fatter and fatter. There was a kind of satisfaction that was always missing. I always had a hankering for something more.
I miss the ethical peace significantly, but not the rest of it.
I'm really lucky that I have easy access to humanely, organically, and often pastured creatures through a big food coop, a few blocks from my house, and I can afford to pay for grassfed/organic/free range. That makes me feel better about the ethics of eating meat now--and I feel much healthier (and thinner) from this WOE.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #566
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
Can anyone direct me to a good source about being a vegetarian and increased risk of metabolic syndrome? I have a friend who read The China Study which I understand shuns meat and is vegetarian. He bought ten books to pass out to friends and is adopting that way of life. He has a risk of diabetes in the family. He said he isn't eating a lot of grains and starchy veges, so is that the reason people were seeing metabolic syndrome? TIA
If your friend eats fish, eggs, and dairy, then that will help--but so did I, and I developed metabolic syndrome. If he isn't eating many grains or starchy vegetables, then I wonder what he is eating ... legumes are a common source of protein but high in carbs ... quinoa is high in protein but also high in carbs ... soy is not high in carbs, but I think there are a lot of potential health problems with eating a lot of it.

I have a big supply of vegetarian cookbooks (like the Moosewood ones) and most of the recipes just can't be adapted to fit a lowcarb diet--though I still love and eat lots of salads, vegetables, eggs, and dairy. I just went through my large recipe card collection--all vegetarian recipes--and ending up donating most of them to my niece and her husband (young, skinny, and foodies fond of cooking) because I just couldn't see eating the high level of carbs in most of those recipes, given my metabolic challenges.

Anyway, I hope that the vegetarian approach works out well for your friend, but if he is starting with metabolic syndrome, I doubt that the approach will make things better (unless he was eating a frankenfood-sugar-junk diet before that and is giving that stuff up).
Old 02-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #567
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

Kefir Fermenters Unite!
Wow, indeed. The kombucha thread is even more daunting (over 2000 posts). Kind of makes me afraid of trying to make kombucha, if there was that much material for discussion. (Of course, perhaps that kombucha makers and drinkers strayed onto other topics, too.)

Today I bought the book "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Ellix Katz. I'll post a review of it when I've had a chance to look through it with care.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:34 PM   #568
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Here is a bit more from his research...
This makes me really want to read "Wheatbelly".
I strongly recommend reading "Wheatbelly," Sunday.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #569
Major LCF Poster!

I bought a new product in the "yogurt" section of my food co-op, and I think I'm in love.

It's "Tula's CocoKefir CocoYo," and it's "a dairy free, raw, yogurt like probiotic pudding" made with raw coconut, raw coconut water, vanilla, stevia, and probiotic cultures. A serving is a half-cup, with 110 calories and 6 total carbs. I ate about a teaspoon of it (it's a JUDDD DD for me), and I love it! I'm having it with blackberries and tea for breakfast tomorrow. Amazing that something so good for me can taste like a lovely dessert treat.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #570
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I have baby organic Kale in a tub this time, but have used the Kale on the stalk. I found that a cup of the baby is 34 cals, so I imagine that on the stalk you could probably use 2 of the leaves? Does that sound right? Gosh, it becomes difficult when you measure veggies.

By the way, my pot of broth tastes yabba dabba amazing! Only one thing, I notice that the aroma doesn't knock my socks off, however, the taste is awesome. Wonder how come?

Thanks. I am going to try it.
This is interesting on the smell of the bone broth. For the last few batches, I was upstairs in my bed smelling that smell and thinking, I can't go the whole night smelling this. Ugh! Tasted great, but ick to the smell.

I started a new batch. I found giant turkey wings and legs and I roasted those and used only those bones this time. I added my egg shells and seaweed, etc. Also, some home grown sage. The smell permeating the house was like a warm and wonderful Thanksgiving. Delicious scent. I was almost salivating. I thought from now on I am only using turkey bones-- those other bones stink. About 14 hours into it,I realized I had forgotten the vinegar. So I poured in a couple to tablespoons. Awhile later, I started to smell "that smell"again. Kind of an acrid odor. I wonder if the vinegar does something to make it smell bad. I wonder just how important it is to add the vinegar. I wonder if you add another acid like lemon if things would smell brighter? I will play around with it. But I am looking forward to this turkey bone broth!

Sven- thank you for the info regarding the metabolic syndrome. Very interesting. That probiotic pudding sounds good. I will keep my eyes open for it. My kefir grains are almost ready- can't wait to add my coconut water!

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-03-2013 at 09:05 PM..