Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #511
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
The Trouble with Pork: Part 3 published Febuary 22, 2012 is about pathogens and looks hard at Hepatitis E. No blood should be eaten. Sausage which mixes parts with blood may be the most dangerous. Fresh pork should be rinsed and cooked well. It is kind of a scary read.

If you go to Part 3 you will find the previous Parts 1 and 2 also there.
I remember reading those articles, and they scared me. I had some pork liver in my freezer that I had gotten cheaply at an Asian market; I threw it out. I also sadly concluded that I should not be eating pork liversausage (though I loooove it) and probably shouldn't be eating sausage, either.

Then I repressed this knowledge and made a crustless quiche with 4 oz of sausage. Well, I guess I'll try to remember to not do that again, and I won't make bone broth with pork bones again.

The only other pork that I eat is bacon, and it sounds like the curing of it makes that more safe to eat; I'll be sure to buy the organic but cured kind. I like to saute greens (kale, chard) in bacon fat.

Eating healthy can be so complicated ...
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #512
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Also, what is it about eating out that causes me to go ahead and eat way past my hunger scale? I know that I can take it home. I know that I can leave it there. It is the one reason that I truly don't desire to go out much. Does anyone else feel this way?
David Kessler has a book called "The End of Overeating," which basically discusses how the food in chain restaurants is engineered to make us crave it and eat tons of it and come back for more. So if you eat at out at places that are chains (Chili's, TGIF, Cheesecake Factory, Outback, and so on), they have been researching and working hard on making you behave exactly as you describe. If you eat out at pricey restaurants that serve locally-sourced fresh-prepared foods ... well, then the portions are probably fashionably small, so one might not eat so much, even though it tastes good.

I was never a big fan of eating at non-fast-food chain restaurants, but the Kessler book strengthened my resolve to just stay away from them, if at all possible. Kind of like how reading Wheat Belly made it easier to not eat wheat.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #513
Major LCF Poster!

Beverly, I checked my recipe for cilantro pesto, and here's the corrected recipe:

4 cloves garlic
1/3 cup each Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds, and pumpkin seeds (all raw)
2 cups (packed) chopped cilantro leaves
2/3 cup flaxseed oil
4 T. lemon juice
salt to taste

Puree in food processor and store in dark covered jar in fridge or freeze.

Sorry about the incompleteness of my first post about this. I make the recipe over and over, but I still haven't got it right in my memory.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #514
Major LCF Poster!

LOL, thanks for a fun and informative post, Beverly. My family background is Swedish (hence the "svenska" in my name) so if I eat more dark chocolate, my Nobel prize is practically assured.

I have some bars of 80+ percent cacao dark chocolate in my cupboard. Oddly enough, I'm not really tempted to eat any very often. I use the chocolate to make truffles with melted chocolate, butter, vanilla, and cream when I absolutely have to provide dessert as a social obligation. But it's good to know that I don't have to feel guilty if I do eat some of the chocolate.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #515
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Beverly, thinking about this made me realize, perhaps because I work in a restaurant and see prepared dishes all the time, it isn't an issue. But, when you started talking about going to a Mexican Restaurant, you had me at Margarita. Who can resist hot chips and tequila? With queso. Followed by enchiladas w/ sour cream...and fried ice cream? 5000 calories later......
I actually find that being really strict about lowcarb eating makes me stay more under control in a restaurant. Mexican? Well, that means I'll be ordering fajitas, eating the meat and the grilled veggies, having guacamole with it, and ignoring the tortillas and rice and beans. Margarita, hot chips, enchiladas, fried ice cream ... Those are all filed in the "I don't eat that" part of my brain. It's pretty rigid and maybe would drive some people nuts, but I find it oddly freeing and stress reducing. I've been staying lowcarb for the past 13 months, so it's just gotten habitual to think "I eat this, but I don't eat that," without really any regrets about the "don't eat" things. And I only eat out occasionally, for social reasons, and not by choice.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #516
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
I know, right? Someone who understands... hahaha

And that is why you look like you do, and I look like I do! You are very lucky!
When you get older, a lot of your family and friends can't do those active physical things with you. Well heck, I can't ski any more. Used to love it. But there are lots of physical limitations and it leaves more sedentary things to do like theater and movies but followed up by eating out. But when we go to movies and theaters, part of the fun for everyone is talking about it afterward over a meal or dessert. I like the other things like theater and riding bikes and walks on the beach and all, and think they are fun too, but in my world, food gets attached to it. I am in a retired women's group and I try to get the activities to be more active, but I tend to get voted down. Next monday, the group decided to meet at the a French Bakery at 10:30. I looked at the menu, and there is little there I can have. French almond croissants, chocolate croissants and lots of other pastries. I absolutely will not eat that stuff and will enjoy the chit chat over coffee, but that has been an example of my world lately.
I've gotten into the habit of inviting friends over for a meal on an up day, rather than suggesting that we go out to eat, since I know what is in everything I cook, and I like to cook. I have tried to get comfortable with just having coffee with cream in a setting like a French Bakery; again, that "I don't eat that" switch goes off in my brain when I see sugar or wheat, which means I don't eat anything except the coffee. I do sometimes go out for a meal with friends, but anyone who knows me well knows that I eat "low carb, gluten free," so they are open to going somewhere that has something I eat on the menu.

But it is a challenge--especially for JUDDD down days. I haven't told friends that I'm doing alternate day fasting, because I'm pretty sure they'd think that was unhealthy and possibly try to talk me out of doing it ... so I end up sometimes having to move around my rotations or say that I have a conflict that prevents me from going to dinner before the event. Have others "come out to" their friends about doing JUDDD?
Old 02-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #517
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Happy Thursday, all. My last post was from my android to explain the brevity. Liver is one thing I have not jumped on yet. However, I do wonder if the reason for it's inclusion in the diet is for iron. I have never had an issue with iron since a hysterectomy in my twenties. Should look into that, I guess.
I love liver, and have loved it since childhood. Many people find chicken liver easier to take than beef/calf liver. I have a bunch of liver recipes, including a couple for chicken liver pate that are staples for me. Let me know if it would be helpful to share.

I noticed that some blogs like "Paleo Mom" and "Tummyrumblr" have recipes for slipping liver into other dishes, such as meatloaf and bolognese sauce, along with spices and other meats, and that seems like a possible approach for people who don't like liver on its own.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #518
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Someone on low-carb friends I can't remember who, maybe auntie Em, used to eat lambs liver scrambled with egg yolks. I'm sure she was on the perfect health diet. I have really tried to source lambs liver in my county and so far have not been successful. I don't like liver but I hear the lambs luver is very mild and much more edible
I miss Auntie Em's comments on this board; I hope she is okay and stops by again. I started making bone broth thanks to something that she posted, and also started eating more liver thanks to her posts. Then I started reading books like "Nourishing Traditions" and Paleo literature and got more reinforcement for following an Auntie Em-like diet.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #519
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Cici, Do you eat oysters? I love salmon, shrimp & tilapia and eat them weekly, but not oysters.
I used to eat smoked oysters regularly (tinned in olive oil), but apparently they are now hard to get because their source was primarily Korea and there is some sort of trade dispute between the U.S. and Korea that prohibits importing Korean smoked oysters. The fresh seafood store near my house (lucky me ) might be willing to order a case of tins of smoked oysters for me if I took the whole case; I really should follow up on that, because I looove smoked oysters, and it wouldn't be hard to store a box of them in my basement. I guess I'm lucky that I really like so many foods that are on the PHD list.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #520
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
In my vitamin D book, he highly recommended some actual sunlight too. About 10-15 minutes on bare skin. You would think living in California, we wouldn't have these issues, but I use sunscreen all the time and I don't often have bare skin in the sun. I imagine some seeps in to my system though. I walked the dog at 10:30 AM and felt like I was getting a good dose, but I didn't have bare skin!
At Northern latitudes (like Minnesota and Canada), even if the sun is shining, we don't get enough direct sun (from the angle of the sun to the earth) to get adequate vitamin when we are outside in the winter. As I understand it, however, the body can store some vitamin D, and being outside in the sun around noon in the summer can help us store some vitamin D against winter time.

I have to make an appointment for a physical soon; I'm going to request a Vitamin D test to see if I should be supplementing. I walk outside a lot in summer, so I'm not sure what my status would be.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #521
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Wow Sven! You have been busy!

I think we may be twins. It is going to take me a bit to catch up to everything you have posted, but as you were posting, I was reading up on ***, Mercola, Ori Hofmekler, Brad Pilon, Martin Berkhan and other IF supporters. I can't get past the fact that women do not have the same results that men do. Unfortunately. Although I believe fasting is very good for our body, I can't help but believe that not every person gets the same benefit. Some women suffer. And some women will not lose. I have watched our JUDDD budds as well as many other IF'ers and see the same exact complaints. Some women flounder on IF.

Sven, I am impressed with everything you have done for your health. Great research and your dedication to finding what works is undeniably resolute. I think your perseverance reminds me of the determination that I have felt since I began this weight loss & health journey 5 years ago. I can't say that I have done as much as you have, but I knew that when I began fasting, it was only a very small piece of the puzzle. I knew that I needed to eat the right foods and whether it was forever giving up wheat, sugar, or carbs, I needed to know that it was not only going to help me lose the rest of this excess weight, but in the process bring me good health. Maybe perfect health.

I am not fearful of potato or starchy veggies/fruit as much as I am fearful of not obtaining good health and longevity. Weight plays a big role in being healthy and especially in women. So, as you probably have heard me gripe, my weight doesn't budge at times and in fact, it really likes staying steady. In many ways, though that is a huge relief. Before JUDDD, I would be so confused when my weight kept creeping upward. My losses are so slow that I have perfected maintenance on 950 calories, well, that is actually the average of 1600/300.

I hope that you will stick around here and let us in on anything you learn, as we are all trying to learn PHD and it takes a while to really grab a hold and digest much of his teaching. Please read his website and go to the Q&A. I find that he does answer questions. I tried to ask a question last week for Dawn that never was answered, but I think I may have put too much extra in the question to make it confusing.

Also, please don't lose hope. I saw and read about Erp (who is 77 and discovered PHD) she lost down to her goal weight and is finally in the best health that she has ever been in. Jaminet uses her as an example quite a bit and she reports back with some of the knowledge that she has gained.
Thank you for your kind and supportive post, Sunday, and thanks everyone for sharing so much useful information. I'm finally caught up on this thread! Sorry that my response posts were so out of order from the originals.

I'm looking forward to following this thread/group regularly and am happy to share what I have read or experienced. Fortunately, JUDDD seems to agree with me, as a post-menopausal woman, but I have been doing it while eating a diet very consistent with the PHD on my up days.

I have so much more hope about losing weight than I did before I started eating low carb and doing JUDDD, and I've made a lot of progress, though it certainly hasn't been fast. I'm hoping to move into the non-obese category in the not too distant future (just 9 pounds away from that now!) and then will try to be patient and hope that I edge closer to my posted goal weight. My health and energy are already so much better that I have no desire to make a lot of changes in what I'm doing (which is close to PHD in many respects), though I always hope to learn more and make better tweaks to my general plan.

I have a copy of the PHD book that I was planning to read this weekend. Other items on my to-do reading list are Eric Berg's "Seven Principles of Fat Burning," Barry Groves' "Natural Health and Weight Loss," and Mark Sisson's book (I have his cookbooks but haven't read "Primal Blueprint.") I'm happy to share information (though surely some of it will conflict across sources), and I'm happy to have found a group of people who are so interested in being healthy, sharing information, and being supportive of each other.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:32 AM   #522
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Sven, I looked at your stats and if that is what you have lost in the last year, I would say you are doing very well.

I have read Sisson and Groves books, plus a plethora of paleo and health nutritional science books. I finally realized when I read PHD, that I am at a good place. I love most of these suggestions and I will follow the easier suggestions like clockwork. I love the fermented veggies and dairy, bone broth, taters, all veggies, fish, beef & lamb, dark chocolate, & wine. I couldn't be happier.

I love fasting and believe that I am going to keep up the 16 hour daily fast with no counting on Up days. See where this takes me? I am going to continue to research 5:2 because I love the idea of being able to fix my fasting days as the same each week.

Now, I am off to learn more about Sirt-1 and other fasting means.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #523
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I love the chocolate info!!! I can talk about darks all day. Especially, since I have discovered Lake Champlain Fruit & Nut Dark Chocolate. I eat different types of chocolate daily. My fav is Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt w/Almonds by Chocolove. Unfortunately it is only 55% dark, so I don't eat but one square most days. On Up Days, I have been known to allow more w/ a glass of cab or pinot.

I have been thinking about trying Lindt's Excellence A Touch of Sea Salt, I believe it may have more cacao. Trader Joe's has a Dark Chocolate Bar with Caramel and Black Sea Salt 70 % GF that I would die for, but unfortunately, we don't have TJ's. If you do, please let me know how it tastes!!!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #524
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and one question. I began another batch of bone broth with beef femur bone from the butcher $1.89 yesterday, but unfortunately, in my hurry to have broth, forgot to roast the bone. So, this morning when I woke up, I took the bone out of the crockpot and placed it in the oven for 1 hour. Then placed back in crockpot to finish simmering. Does anyone think I may have wasted time roasting? It had already been in the crock simmering for 12 hours.

I was going to try and re-use the bone after this batch, since it says that bones can be recycled several times.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #525
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sunday, I'd like to hear how that roast goes. I decided not to roast this time, because I find that part of the process inconvenient. Results: not as good. Back to roasting for the next batch.

We eat Lindt sea salt chocolate and chili chocolate. They're good, but still sweet enough to create cravings. The 85% is delicious and not too sweet. The 90% tastes like charcoal unless you work up to it, at which point it is divine.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:39 AM   #526
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
Any hints on how to make bone broth edible? We tried making some a couple of months ago, and it smelled so much like the sewer that we threw it out. Maybe we did something wrong.
pantograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #527
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Bev, I love the chocolate info!!! I can talk about darks all day. Especially, since I have discovered Lake Champlain Fruit & Nut Dark Chocolate. I eat different types of chocolate daily. My fav is Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt w/Almonds by Chocolove. Unfortunately it is only 55% dark, so I don't eat but one square most days. On Up Days, I have been known to allow more w/ a glass of cab or pinot.

I have been thinking about trying Lindt's Excellence A Touch of Sea Salt, I believe it may have more cacao. Trader Joe's has a Dark Chocolate Bar with Caramel and Black Sea Salt 70 % GF that I would die for, but unfortunately, we don't have TJ's. If you do, please let me know how it tastes!!!
I thought his chocolate response was fantastic! I could talk about chocolate all day, and so would Nancy if she would report in! I got the Chocolove bar, but it doesn't have the mouth feel I love. I love any of the chocolates with sea salt. I love Ghirardelli intense dark Sea Salt Soirée. Fine bits of almond with sea salt. But I can't find a percentage on the bar. I guess I could write them. I also love the Touch of Sea Salt. I MUST got to TJ's and get the bar with caramel and sea salt. Oh my! I LOVE that we "should" eat some chocolate and wine. As I mentioned before, I melt a chocolate bar with high percentage and add some of my own sweetener, pistachios, and sea salt. I was doing that because sugar can be a trigger and cause me to eat the whole bar instead of a few pieces. Seems I am able to eat a couple pieces now with the sugar in it and then put the rest of it away. I hope that restraint stays, but you never know.

Quote:
Oh, and one question. I began another batch of bone broth with beef femur bone from the butcher $1.89 yesterday, but unfortunately, in my hurry to have broth, forgot to roast the bone. So, this morning when I woke up, I took the bone out of the crockpot and placed it in the oven for 1 hour. Then placed back in crockpot to finish simmering. Does anyone think I may have wasted time roasting? It had already been in the crock simmering for 12 hours.

I was going to try and re-use the bone after this batch, since it says that bones can be recycled several times.
I do not think you wasted time roasting. For me, roasting makes a huge difference between a blah batch and a rich deeply flavored batch.

I am really getting into this fermenting stuff! I have my water kefir grains busy bubbling in their sugar/mineral bath in preparation for coconut water fermentation. Once I get the handle on that, I may try kombucha. I just LOVE LOVE the gingerade GT kombucha. It has such a powerful detox effect though, that I can only handle about 3 oz a day.

I am trying to do the 8 hour diet suggestion and hope on my exercise bike or take a walk in the AM for 10-15 minutes while in fasting mode.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #528
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sunday, I'd like to hear how that roast goes. I decided not to roast this time, because I find that part of the process inconvenient. Results: not as good. Back to roasting for the next batch.

We eat Lindt sea salt chocolate and chili chocolate. They're good, but still sweet enough to create cravings. The 85% is delicious and not too sweet. The 90% tastes like charcoal unless you work up to it, at which point it is divine.
Kristin, I save the 80% and up for when I have had a glass of Pinot. I like darks, but I like to taste the salt/etc. as well.

Gosh, I enjoy all stuff "perfect health"!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #529
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Kristin, I save the 80% and up for when I have had a glass of Pinot. I like darks, but I like to taste the salt/etc. as well.

Gosh, I enjoy all stuff "perfect health"!
We posted at the exact same time. I also love the combination of dark chocolate and Pinot. It is almost decadent.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #530
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pantograph
Stats: 222/178.8/170
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: Feb 2010 (Paleo)
I also like the Lindt 85% bars and the Trader Joes "Chocolate Lovers" 85% bars are a real bargain. I tried the 90% Lindt bars, but wasn't a fan eaten alone, so I grated a square (~15 g) into the 3 oz cream I put over 3 oz raspberries. The 100% Ghirardelli or 99% Scharffen Berger baking chocolate are also excellent that way! The cream takes away the bitterness without sugar or other sweeteners.

Terry
pantograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #531
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG, if you go to TJ's you must look for the Lake Champlain 5star Fruit & Nut bar. It is Dark with cherries, & pecans. You know, Bev, when I first began JUDDD, I decided that I would keep dark chocolate, even if it is only on UD, but I still only portion out a small piece, ummm, I have had a day or two that I went after a bit more.

Kombucha is so wonderful! . I contemplated learning to make it, but I must admit to enjoying GT's so much that I just pick it up when I shop. My two favs are Ginger and Hibiscus.

Bev, Wishing you the best on the 8 hours! I am having my coffee with CO and Coconut Cream as we speak.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #532
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Love the conversation here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I remember reading those articles, and they scared me. I had some pork liver in my freezer that I had gotten cheaply at an Asian market; I threw it out. I also sadly concluded that I should not be eating pork liversausage (though I loooove it) and probably shouldn't be eating sausage, either.

Then I repressed this knowledge and made a crustless quiche with 4 oz of sausage. ....

Eating healthy can be so complicated ...
So like me.

Quote:
David Kessler has a book called "The End of Overeating," which basically discusses how the food in chain restaurants is engineered to make us crave it and eat tons of it and come back for more. So if you eat at out at places that are chains (Chili's, TGIF, Cheesecake Factory, Outback, and so on), they have been researching and working hard on making you behave exactly as you describe. If you eat out at pricey restaurants that serve locally-sourced fresh-prepared foods ... well, then the portions are probably fashionably small, so one might not eat so much, even though it tastes good.

I was never a big fan of eating at non-fast-food chain restaurants, but the Kessler book strengthened my resolve to just stay away from them, if at all possible. Kind of like how reading Wheat Belly made it easier to not eat wheat.
Funny, I was just going over the Outback menu in preparation for brother's birthday dinner today. Is grilling an okay cooking method? Would like to order the grilled seafood.

Quote:
I love liver, and have loved it since childhood. Many people find chicken liver easier to take than beef/calf liver. I have a bunch of liver recipes, including a couple for chicken liver pate that are staples for me. Let me know if it would be helpful to share.

I noticed that some blogs like "Paleo Mom" and "Tummyrumblr" have recipes for slipping liver into other dishes, such as meatloaf and bolognese sauce, along with spices and other meats, and that seems like a possible approach for people who don't like liver on its own.
I like chicken liver but cannot find a clean source. In the spring, there is an organic farm store that may work out. I think they will deliver to our local farmers market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post

I buy the 90% because it does not tempt me at all. I can quit at 1 square but still feel like it was a special treat. Since I actually like bitter things like black coffee, beer, greens, it fits in with my tastes.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #533
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I wanted to chime in on the liver conversation......

A friend has a very old daschund. Every time I would talk to her I was afraid to ask about him because I just knew he was going to be gone. He was slow and weak and it just didn't look like Charlie was going to last much longer.

Her husband is an avid duck hunter. Just about every weekend all winter, he brings home a bunch of ducks. One evening, the dog followed him out to the garage where he cleans the ducks. While gutting one, he pulled out the liver and flicked it to Charlie, who ate it happily. It seemed to perk I'm up almost instantly, so Charlie got every liver that came out of a duck that season and he was like a new dog.

He is still going strong (but gray) four years later. He gets his dose of livers every duck season and it seems to carry him through the next summer. The vet says it is probably the iron and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #534
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
I wanted to chime in on the liver conversation......

A friend has a very old daschund. Every time I would talk to her I was afraid to ask about him because I just knew he was going to be gone. He was slow and weak and it just didn't look like Charlie was going to last much longer.

Her husband is an avid duck hunter. Just about every weekend all winter, he brings home a bunch of ducks. One evening, the dog followed him out to the garage where he cleans the ducks. While gutting one, he pulled out the liver and flicked it to Charlie, who ate it happily. It seemed to perk I'm up almost instantly, so Charlie got every liver that came out of a duck that season and he was like a new dog.

He is still going strong (but gray) four years later. He gets his dose of livers every duck season and it seems to carry him through the next summer. The vet says it is probably the iron and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Wow! Thank you so much for this story! My choc lab and boxer were just politely watching as I cooked the beef liver and my lab kept looking at me after cooking. That's my sign. She won't move from her spot, because she knows that there just has to be something for her. So, since I really didn't care for the taste, I have been sprinkling a bit on their dog food and they are both in heaven.

Terry, can you tell me how you made your broth? I have heard others say the same thing which gives me pause, because I have yet to have a bad batch. I add fresh rosemary, garlic, thyme, basil, savory, fennel and lavender (herb de provence) mix of spices. I add onion, carrots, celery, and sometimes red pepper the last hour.

Last edited by sunday; 02-03-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #535
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, I believe grilled is a perfect way to eat seafood. Not too high temps is what I have read on PHD. I actually saute my shrimp & salmon, but will grill when the temps are better here.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #536
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:

So long as you had some acid (lemon or vinegar) in the pot with the unroasted bones, I'm sure you were leaching out some nutrients before roasting. The roasting improves flavor, but maybe doesn't affect nutrition so much.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #537
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Love the conversation here.

So like me.
Me too! I have repressed a few memories, somehow in my sleep, my weakness/lapse will sneak into one of my dreams. My mischievous psyche is like that sometimes.

I am waiting on Nancy to come along because I am curious about how she would add eggshells to the broth as well? I put two organic eggshells in my broth and they won't sink so they should be easy to pick out.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #538
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
Any hints on how to make bone broth edible? We tried making some a couple of months ago, and it smelled so much like the sewer that we threw it out. Maybe we did something wrong.
Hmmm, when I make bone broth, my house smell like meat, but not bad.

Did you roast the bones in a pan at 400 degree oven for an hour first? Add apple cider vinegar and salt to the filtered water and roasted bone? Put the broth in the refrigerator after finishing the simmer period? Those are the main "hints" I have.

Maybe start with making the broth using chicken or turkey wings, because that smells especially luscious to me. Or aim for getting bones from organic/grassfed beasts, in case the smell was from the toxins/chemicals fed to non-organically raised beast (growth hormones, etc.)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #539
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantograph View Post
I also like the Lindt 85% bars and the Trader Joes "Chocolate Lovers" 85% bars are a real bargain. I tried the 90% Lindt bars, but wasn't a fan eaten alone, so I grated a square (~15 g) into the 3 oz cream I put over 3 oz raspberries. The 100% Ghirardelli or 99% Scharffen Berger baking chocolate are also excellent that way! The cream takes away the bitterness without sugar or other sweeteners.

Terry
Raspberries, cream, and excellent grated chocolate! Be still my beating heart! That is what I'm going to have for dessert at my birthday party--much better than cake!
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #540
Major LCF Poster!

On going out to eat at Outback--yes, I think something grilled would be a good choice. I'd probably go for beef or fish rather than chicken, since chicken is so often "brined" in a mixture containing sugar to make it moist. Looking for nutritional info online, to guide making your choice, is always a good idea. The addition of sugar, etc. to food should be somewhat evident in the carb and calorie counts (though sometimes they include the counts from the accompanying bread, which makes the result very confusing).

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-03-2013 at 09:45 AM..