Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Sunday, I live about 3.5 hours north of Toronto. It is beautiful.

I keep forgetting to mention that part of the reason I love the PHD approach, or at least the wheat-free, grain-free, sugar-free part, is that I hurt way less doing it. I'm bizarrely healthy overall, but I did have wicked migraines that were spiralling a wee bit out of my control during menopause. They seem much improved. And I can easily do days of snowshoeing, skiing, etc.- stuff I haven't done for years - and not hurt. I'm sure the anti-inflammatory effects of this diet are the reason. (One of the reasons I'm certain is that when I do eat sugar/flour, I ache post-sports.)
Fascinating. And so encouraging.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 09:55 AM   #392
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
I will some day travel to that area of the beautiful land of Canada. I have been to Victoria and fell in love. Opposite side, of course, but my goodness, I was smitten.

My daughter has terrible migraines and I have been urging her to drop wheat. She recently dropped sugar and diet soda. I know that her life would be 100 x better if she didn't suffer those terrible migraines. Some days she can't even get out of bed.

Bev! I am so excited to not have cravings and especially on DD.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #393
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
His recommended sweetener is Brown Rice Syrup, but he also says if you are a low carber and wish to remain lower...

Low-Carb Sweeteners

For those on ketogenic diets who wish to keep carbs down.
Stevia is a popular low-carb sweetener.
Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol with almost no calories.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that inhibits Candida but can act as a laxative.
Bev, this is the answer for sweeteners. I will have to look for brown rice syrup, never used it. I am curious to what he thinks about Coconut Sugar? I think that is the best tasting, but it may not be good for us.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Happy Thursday, all. My last post was from my android to explain the brevity. Liver is one thing I have not jumped on yet. However, I do wonder if the reason for it's inclusion in the diet is for iron. I have never had an issue with iron since a hysterectomy in my twenties. Should look into that, I guess.

I did put together an unexpected soup today. Just pulled out what I wanted to eat from the fridge and added broth.

chicken breast 3 oz
saurkraut 1/4c
sweet potato 3 oz
chicken bone broth 1.5c fat removed
Butter 1T
salt/pepper/garlic

Mildly sweet/sour and satisfying.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Organ meats and egg yolks. It’s important to be well nourished, and organ meats like liver and egg yolks tend to be rich in micronutrients. They are much better than plant foods for compounds like phospholipids. In particular, choline (and its phospholipid form phosphatidylcholine) is important for methylation status and epigenetic functioning – an important element in cancer prevention
This was from his article on cancer.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #396
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

cici, I am not a liver lover, but I decided since the price was so low, why not see if I could handle eating in tiny portions? I will let you all know if I just swallow like a pill or how I do this. I am sure my presh babies will get a sliver or two. They both come to the kitchen and watch me any time, when cooking.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:18 PM   #397
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
Sunday~ I used to cut it in little tiny bites and swallow it like a pill. Or~ coat it entirely with mashed potatoes and chew once or twice. Not a fan.
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

He did emphasize the importance of free range organ donors. I don't have a source for freerange beasties except chicken, but no livers are included in the package.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:00 PM   #399
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Someone on low-carb friends I can't remember who, maybe auntie Em, used to eat lambs liver scrambled with egg yolks. I'm sure she was on the perfect health diet. I have really tried to source lambs liver in my county and so far have not been successful. I don't like liver but I hear the lambs luver is very mild and much more edible
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #400
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Was liver not a great source of copper? I think so.
Liver, onions, bacon, red wine, and cream. Sometimes spinach in there. It's not bad.
Thanks for the kefir suggestion you guys. I eat it with berries. Is there any other way??

Last edited by Joyjoy; 01-31-2013 at 06:06 PM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #401
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blueberries, kale, spinach, & apple w/ my kefir/coconut milk smoothie. This has become my every day drink. But most importantly, helps me make it through DD without suffering.

Yes, Kristin, the thing is if we don't eat liver then we must supplement with copper/zinc combo. I have the combo sup and began it about the time that I began PHD and now that I have found the grassfed beef liver, will try this for a trial.

Ouiz, I have my heart set on Lamb's liver. The butcher that I have been picking up bones from has lamb & veal. I will call to see about the lamb's liver.

I went to the health store and picked up Solaray D-3 & K-2, but after reading on PHD and other sites, I think I should have sublingual D-3 & K-2? It seems that sublingual is absorbed faster and easier to take. What do you all think?
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #402
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Someone on low-carb friends I can't remember who, maybe auntie Em, used to eat lambs liver scrambled with egg yolks. I'm sure she was on the perfect health diet. I have really tried to source lambs liver in my county and so far have not been successful. I don't like liver but I hear the lambs luver is very mild and much more edible
Yes Auntie Em is doing Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions which is essentially PHD to the extreme. I am working my way to that extreme.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #403
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I have to say I love PHD's endorsement of sweet vegetables--tomato, onion, leek, carrot, beet, etc.

I always cringed a little when VLC plans encouraged us to pick those out of a salad.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #404
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I have to say I love PHD's endorsement of sweet vegetables--tomato, onion, leek, carrot, beet, etc.

I always cringed a little when VLC plans encouraged us to pick those out of a salad.
You are talking to the girl that eat's Bubbie's Bread & Butter Chips like candy. And thinks that salsa is dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde with a Rose View Post
Sunday~ I used to cut it in little tiny bites and swallow it like a pill. Or~ coat it entirely with mashed potatoes and chew once or twice. Not a fan.
I am swallowing it whole and I think this will be my plan for now. Much less pain and suffering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
He did emphasize the importance of free range organ donors. I don't have a source for freerange beasties except chicken, but no livers are included in the package.
I am so glad that you are here Cici. When speaking of organ donors, I decided to try not to linger long, but instead gain strength from my Perfect Health instead of the donor's fait accompli.

Last edited by sunday; 01-31-2013 at 07:23 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM   #405
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Blueberries, kale, spinach, & apple w/ my kefir/coconut milk smoothie. This has become my every day drink. But most importantly, helps me make it through DD without suffering.

Yes, Kristin, the thing is if we don't eat liver then we must supplement with copper/zinc combo. I have the combo sup and began it about the time that I began PHD and now that I have found the grassfed beef liver, will try this for a trial.

Ouiz, I have my heart set on Lamb's liver. The butcher that I have been picking up bones from has lamb & veal. I will call to see about the lamb's liver.

I went to the health store and picked up Solaray D-3 & K-2, but after reading on PHD and other sites, I think I should have sublingual D-3 & K-2? It seems that sublingual is absorbed faster and easier to take. What do you all think?

That is what I am using. I swear when I normalized my D levels,it changed my health dramatically.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #406
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess View Post
That is what I am using. I swear when I normalized my D levels,it changed my health dramatically.
So, you are using sublingual? Could I know your brand? Thank you Bev!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I am so glad that you are here Cici. When speaking of organ donors, I decided to try not to linger long, but instead gain strength from my Perfect Health instead of the donor's fait accompli.
Yeah, I don't dwell on it either. We live where we live and do the best we can with what is available.

Need to explore the copper/zinc requirements. I think zinc is available from seafood. I have a copper kettle from Africa. It was used for cooking in Africa but I have only used it for decoration. Maybe I should use it for tea once/week.

Say, I know I'm a little late to the Wheat Belly conversation, but just sat down to read it last night and even though I went wheat free before this, was impressed with all kinds of new info. Like some of the hidden places it might be found. I need to watch my spices because I use a lot and also stay away from beer. Several other alcohols were listed, though I rarely buy because of the expense and flavored teas/coffees. Also a good takeaway for me was the advice to limit the quantity of starch or fruit per sitting to minimize the glucose impact. As I have cycled through so many game plans in recent months, I forget that what works for one WOE can derail us on another. It is all a delicate chemical experiment. Two good days in a row on PHD and still calm. Gave up on JUDDD rotations as attempted DDs just set me spiraling out of control. Gave up on potato days as they also set me off. Actually, any kind of severe restriction sets me off after 1-2 days. So admire the control of people who can fast without rebounding into crazy behavior.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #408
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
So, you are using sublingual? Could I know your brand? Thank you Bev!!!

Sure. I am using Superior Source K-2 100 mcg MK-7 microlingual

Superior Source D3 microlingual. I need "extra strength" to keep my blood levels normal, so I take 5,000 IU.

Cici- I think Wheat Belly is a good book and I was surprised at all the hidden places for wheat. I do have a gluten free beer now and again. I like Red Bridge. I also changed my gin. I was surprised wheat was in my flavored coffee!
If you get do some good research on the zinc/copper, please report back. I am not going to go the organ meat route now. I do eat sea food, but not sure how much is enough. I had scallops yesterday.

Last edited by sungoddess; 02-01-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #409
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So glad to know this about Wheat Belly. I have it on my to read list, but maybe I should bump it up?
From Gluten Free Living~

Quote:
you can mostly trust wines that are “almost always” made without a barrel aging process such as: “Whites – Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand, Italian Pinot Grigio, Bag-In-The-Box wines; and Reds: Bag-In-The-Box wines.” (Ref 3)
So, go with the Pepperwood Grove Pinot Grigio.

Some very good beers are gluten free. And Tequila.
From Celiac site~

Quote:
Please note that ingredients in the products on this page are subject to change without notice. The products on this page were safe when last checked. It is up to you to verify that the product remains gluten-free by checking the ingredients yourself, or by contacting the manufacturer. All distilled alcohols are gluten-free.

Armagnac - made from grapes.
Beer - A number of premium and craft brewers now produce specialty grain gluten-free beers using non-gluten ingredients such as buckwheat, sorghum, rice, corn, etc. Not all the beers listed below use specialty grains, and some of them have had the gluten removed using special filters and/or enzymes, and in such cases they may not be 100% gluten-free (although each claims to test below 20 PPM gluten).
Against the Grain, World Top Brewery (United Kingdom)
Bards Tale Dragons Gold, Bard's Tale Beer Company (USA)
BeerUp Glutenfrei, Grieskirchen (Austria)
Birra 76 Bi-Aglut, Heineken Italy (Italy)
Blonde (also Ginger and Apple Beers), Billabong Brewing (Australia)
Daura, Estrella Damm (Spain)
G-Free, St. Peter's Brewery (United Kingdom)
Green's Endeavour Dubble, Green's (United Kingdom)
Koff I, Sinebrychoff (Finland)
Lammsbräu, Neumarkter (Germany)
Messagère, Les bières de la Nouvelle-France (Canada)
Mongozo's exotic flavorded pilsners (The Netherlands)
New Grist, Lakefront Brewery (USA)
Nodogoshi, Kirin (Japan)
O'Brien Brown Ale, O'Brien Brewery (Australia)
Passover Honey Beer, Ramapo Valley (USA)
RedBridge, Anheuser-Busch (USA)
Residenz Bio-Reis-Gold Dunkel, Liebharts (Germany)
Schnitzer Bräu (Germany)
Sorghum Molasses Brown, Outer Banks (USA)
Toleration, Hambleton (United Kingdom)
Tread Lightly Ale and 3R Raspberry Ale, New Planet (USA)
Tumma Kukko, Laitilan (Finland)
Bourbon - Makers Mark
Brandy
Champagne
Cider - fermented from apples or other fruits. Some are safe, however, many add barley for enzymes and flavor.
Old Deadly Cider
Cognac - made from grapes.
Gin
Grappa
Kahlua
Kirschwasser (cherry liqueur)
Margarita Mix:
Jose Cuervo.
Mr. & Mrs. T.
Martini:
Club Extra Dry Martini (corn & grape).
Club Vodka Martini (corn & grape).
Mead - distilled from honey.
Mistico:
Jose Cuervo Mistico (agave and cane).
Mixes & Cooking Alcohol:
Club Tom Collins (corn).
Dimond Jims Bloody Mary Mystery.
Holland House - all EXCEPT Teriyaki Marinade and Smooth & Spicy Bloody Mary Mixes.
Mr. & Mrs. T - all Except Bloody Mary Mix.
Spice Islands - Cooking Wines - Burgundy, Sherry and White.
Ouzo - made from grapes and anise.
Rum
Sake - fermented with rice and Koji enzymes. The Koji enzymes are grown on Miso, which is usually made with barley. The two-product separation from barley, and the manufacturing process should make it safe for celiacs.
Scotch Whiskey
Sherry
Sparkling Wine
Tequila
Vermouth - distilled from grapes.
Vodka
Wine - all wines, including port wines and sherry, are safe for celiacs.
Wine Coolers:
Bartle & James - their wine-based beverages (EXCEPT their malt beverages - read the label carefully!).
Boones - their wine-based beverages (EXCEPT their malt beverages - read the label carefully!)

Last edited by sunday; 02-01-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #410
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Bev. I ate my beef liver today. I just ate a sliver and froze the rest. It wasn't bad but I think I will check out lamb liver. I kept trying to meditate on something else as I ate it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #411
Major LCF Poster!

Umm, so many options, so little time. Thanks.

RE malt beverages, noticed my beloved malt vinegar is brewed from barley. No wonder I love it. Don't think my problem is gluten though, used to be okay with oats, rye and barley so for the little bit I use it, won't cut it out unless I have a problem with it.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #412
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/237/125
WOE: Modified L/C 11/2014
Start Date: (Juddd 2010-2011)
I love the book Wheat Belly. I read it a second time when I decided to go GF in earnest. It's a good read if you are 'wavering' on the wheat issue. Sunday, you can go online and request it from your local library. I always try to 'library' a book before I buy. It def worth the time!

I buy Svedka Vodka. I don't drink it much, keep it in my freezer. It's made from potatoes. Vodkas are typically made from wheat but I don't know what happens in the distillation, so to be safe...svedka.

I started taking magnesium, 1000mg of C, and D-3 2000mg last December. I also take a probiotic everyday. Can someone tell me, in a nutshell why Vitamin D is so good (or why a lack of - is not good)?

Happy Friday Everyone!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry the spacing won't hold in the post. From India Curry (a cooking site)

Zinc Recommended Dietary Allowance
Age Male Female Pregnant Lactating
Birth to 6 months 2 mg* 2 mg*
7 months to 3 years 3 mg 3 mg
4 to 8 years 5 mg 5 mg
9 to 13 years 8 mg 8 mg
14 to 18 years 11 mg 9 mg 13 mg 14 mg
19+ years 11 mg 8 mg 11 mg 12 mg

Zinc Food Sources U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Database
Oysters contain more zinc per serving than any other food. In reality, red meat and poultry provide the majority of zinc in non-vegetarian diets. The problem is that Zinc is not stored by body. You need eat only one oyster per day for your Zinc. Eating 30 oysters one day a month does not meet your daily Zinc requirement for 29 days..
Lacto-vegetarians should rely on eating yogurt and nuts everyday. On some days, you may add a serving of sprouted Moong Beans or Chickpeas

Foods Serving mg/serv % Daily Value
Oysters 6 medium 76.7 513
Beef shanks, cooked 3 oz 8.9 59
Crab, Alaska king, cooked 3 oz 6.5 43
Pork shoulder, cooked 3oz 4.2 28
Chicken leg, roasted 1 leg 2.7 18
Pork tenderloin, cooked 3oz 2.5 17
Lobster, cooked 3oz 2.5 17
Baked beans, canned ½ cup 1.7 11
Cashews, dry roasted 1 oz 1.6 11
Yogurt, fruit, low fat 1 cup 1.6 11
Raisin bran, ¾ cup 1.3 9
Chickpeas ½ cup 1.3 9
Cheese, Swiss 1 oz 1.1 7
Almonds, dry roasted 1 oz 1.0 7
Milk, 1 cup 1 cup 0.9 6
Chicken breast skinless, roasted ½ 0.9 6
Cheese, cheddar or mozzarella 1 oz 0.9 6
Kidney beans, cooked ½ cup 0.8 5
Peas, boiled ½ cup 0.8 5
Oatmeal, instant 1 packet 0.8 5
Flounder or sole, cooked 3 oz 0.5 3

Last edited by cici52; 02-01-2013 at 09:33 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #414
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Blonde,

Vitamin D Is Crucial for Bone Health

From PHD~

Quote:
Bone mineralization is optimized at serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels near 40 ng/ml. [2] Randomized controlled trials have found substantial reductions in fracture rates with vitamin D supplementation, for instance a 58% reduction in non-vertebral fractures and a 37% reduction in hip fractures. [2]

Even slight deficiencies can weaken bones.
In mild vitamin D deficiency, serum PTH becomes elevated in order to increase conversion of 25(OH)D to the more active form of 1,25(OH)D to compensate for the insufficiency of 25(OH)D; however, elevation in PTH increases bone resorption, leading to additional bone loss. [3]
Vitamin D Optimization Improves Athletic Performance

Quote:
In addition to its effects on bones, Vitamin D is also critical for muscle function and coordination. [3] Prolonged vitamin D deficiency is associated with severe muscle weakness which improves within several weeks of vitamin D supplementation. [4] In another study, quickness of movement was proportional to serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels. As the 25(OH)D level rose from 9.0 to 37.6 ng/mL, time to perform an 8-foot mobility test decreased by 0.67 seconds. [5] In another study, vitamin D supplementation reduced the rate of falls by 49%. [2]

For elite athletes, optimizing vitamin D can make a significant difference. After noticing that athletic performance was consistently better in summer than winter, the East German and Soviet athletic machines began programs of vitamin D supplementation. These programs coincided with the rise of these nations to the top of the Olympic medal lists. [6]

Last edited by sunday; 02-01-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #415
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I had an overall physical and the main issues that the doctor noticed was that I was low on Vit D and needed to sup with 5,000 per day. My thyroid was still needing supplemental T3/T4.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #416
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cici, Do you eat oysters? I love salmon, shrimp & tilapia and eat them weekly, but not oysters.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #417
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

oops- sorry I didn't realize you already answered Sunday

I have an entire book on vitamin D, so hard to get it in a nutshell. It's important to take D3. My mom was supplementing and her blood levels didn't increase. She was taking D2. She switched to D3 and her levels improved. I think Mercola described it well.

Vitamin D Can Make or Break Your Health

There's overwhelming evidence that vitamin D is a key player in your overall health. This is understandable when you consider that it is not "just" a vitamin; it's actually a neuroregulatory steroidal hormone that influences nearly 3,000 different genes in your body. Receptors that respond to the vitamin have been found in almost every type of human cell, from your brain to your bones.

Just one example of an important gene that vitamin D up-regulates is your ability to fight infections, as well as chronic inflammation. It produces over 200 antimicrobial peptides, the most important of which is cathelicidin, a naturally occurring broad-spectrum antibiotic. This is one of the explanations for why it can be so effective against colds and influenza.

Optimizing your vitamin D levels should be at the top of the list for virtually everyone, regardless of your age, sex, color, or health status, as vitamin D deficiency has been linked to an astonishingly diverse array of common chronic diseases, such as:

Cancer Hypertension Heart disease
Autism Obesity Rheumatoid arthritis
Diabetes 1 and 2 Multiple Sclerosis Crohn's disease
Cold & Flu Inflammatory Bowel Disease Tuberculosis
Septicemia Signs of aging Dementia
Eczema & Psoriasis Insomnia Hearing loss
Muscle pain Cavities Periodontal disease
Osteoporosis Macular degeneration Reduced C-section risk
Pre eclampsia Seizures Infertility
Asthma Cystic fibrosis Migraines
Depression Alzheimer's disease Schizophrenia
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #418
Major LCF Poster!

From health vitamins guide

The amount of copper in an adult body is estimated to be between 100-150mg. Copper is widely distributed in nature. Even poor diets provide enough copper for human needs. Deficiency of excess of this element is rare. Hypocupraemia occurs in patients with nephrosis, Wilson’s disease and protein energy malnutrition and in infants fed for long periods exclusively on cow’s milk. Neutropenia is the best-documented abnormality of copper deficiency. Hypercupremia may reflect excessive intake, which may result from eating food prepared in copper cooking vessels, or it may be associated with several acute and chronic infections (leukemia, Hodgkin’s disease, severe anemia, hemochromatosis, myocardial infarction and hyperthyroidism.

Liver is the main store of copper. Minute amount is present in the blood. In normal serum, a copper containing globulin ceruloplasmin has been found to occur. Copper content of the brain and liver of fetus and infants is much greater that that of adult. This high storage is useful to prevent deficiency in the suckling period as found in the case of iron.

Enter your email address:

Subscribe to feedAsk and Discuss Home RemediesSubmit and Share Home Remedies hereCopper acts as a catalyst in the formation of hemoglobin, the oxygen-carrying blood component. The highest concentrations in the body tissue are found in the liver and certain areas of the central nervous system, particularly the brain. Copper is stored in the liver and excreted in bile salts.

Minerals including copper must be bound to a protein to be usable. Biounavailable means the mineral is present, but in a form that is unsuitable for the body.

Copper comes in two forms, copper gluconate and copper sulfate. Copper is a trace element that is found in virtually every cell of the human body. It is a primary element in the production of melanin in the human body. Melanin is responsible for pigmentation in the eyes, hair and skin.

Copper is active in many ways in the human body. It is a powerful antioxidant, which acts on the body to remove free radicals and help prevent cell structure damage. It is also thought to have anticarcinogenic properties, and unlike the copper bracelets sold as an arthritis cure, copper inside the body can help to alleviate some arthritis pain.

In the human body, copper assists the utilization of iron. The copper balance is the body can be upset by extremely high intakes of high fiber diets, iron or vitamin C, all of which interfere with the way the body metabolizes the copper. Prolonged intake of zinc, which is at a ratio greater than ten to one of intake of copper, can also interfere with absorption and metabolism in the body.

Sources of copper
Food sources of copper includes whole grain cereals, Legumes, Oysters, Organ meats, Cherries, Dark chocolate, Fruits, Leafy green vegetables, Nuts, Poultry, Prunes, soybeans, Tofu, Organ meats, Shellfish, Nuts, legumes.

Benefits of copper
Helps oxidize glucose and release energy. Helps the body absorb iron. Aids the thyroid gland in balancing and secreting hormones. Carries oxygen in the blood stream. Supplies the body’s tissues with oxygen Increases the body’s energy levels. Aids in nerve and brain function. Needed for the functioning of the amino acid, tyrosine. Essential for making red blood cells. Helps the body absorb iron. Helps tyrosine work as a pigment factor Helps supply oxygen to the brain. Enzyme component Necessary for the synthesis of the hormone adrenaline. Associated with intestinal enzyme activity. Acts as a brain stimulant Copper antagonizes manganese ions. Copper level in the body parallels estrogen levels. Copper is a natural yeast fighter Copper improves epinephrine, nor epinephrine and dopamine. Low copper causes the cells to suffocate and lack oxygen.

Deficiency symptoms of copper
Deficiency of copper leads to depletion of oxygen in the cells, Lowered levels of HDL cholesterol, Skin problems, Swollen ankles, Anemia, low copper levels linked to low enkephalins produced in the brain.

Other symptoms of copper deficiency include auditory hallucinations, Depression, Binge eaters have been found to have lower levels.

Symptoms of high intake
High intake of copper may lead to headaches, Hypoglycemia, Increased heart rate, and nausea.

Copper deposits in the brain and liver, Damage to the kidneys, Inhibit urine production, causes anemia, Causes hair loss in women.

High copper interferes with zinc, which is needed to manufacture digestive enzymes. Many high copper people dislike protein and are drawn to high-carbohydrate diets because they have difficulty digesting protein foods.

Excessive copper in children is associated with hyperactive behavior, learning disorders such as dyslexia, ADD and infections such as ear.

Psychological symptoms of high copper leads to autism type symptoms such as depression, Hallucinations, Hyperactivity, Insomnia, Paranoia, Personality changes, Psychosis, Schizophrenic type symptoms, Over stimulation, Disperception of the senses, time, body, self and others. Produces hypomanic states.

Daily requirement
Recommended intakes of copper vary, but the common agreement among professionals seems to be between 2 to 3 milligrams daily, most of which is obtained from dietary sources. Of course, before starting any form of supplementation one should consult medical practitioner.

Some important points
Menkes’ syndrome is a hereditary disorder causing copper deficiency.

Symptoms: kinky hair, mental retardation, and low copper level in the blood and a failure to synthesize the enzymes that require copper.

Wilson’s Disease is a condition that causes copper to accumulate in the tissues and cause extensive damage. Affects 1 in 30,000 people. The liver does not secrete copper into the blood or excrete copper into the bile. Low blood levels, high in the brain, eyes and liver causes cirrhosis. First symptoms: brain damage, tremors, headaches, inability to speak, in coordination and psychosis.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #419
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This is exactly why I am so glad that you joined us Bev!

I was just getting ready to post another link from PHD about alzheimer's and age related disease and Vitamin D. Very interesting that we have not been told this before.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #420
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just reading this, makes me realize I do not need to supplement with copper. This is why my supp was a combo of zinc/copper. I am afraid to take now.