Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #301
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
Sunday, I'm doing a smaller window. I can do a lot of damage in eight hours.
I do love the window. It's a boundary I find easy to respect, and the resulting physical peace feels great. It's still an effort, because of hunger, to combine it with JUDDD cycles. I'm doing okay so far, but am aiming for something that doesn't feel like struggle at all.
Glad you like the quote. Thanks for Katherine Hepburn on bday card. That told me a lot about you being a good egg.
So grateful for your keen minds.
I missed this. Keen minds.

I think I may be headed to the smaller window. My bounce is 1 lb now and believe me, I have eaten very well. More on DDs in the last few, so I am tightening up before I change anything else. 6 hours maybe?

Wondering what it means if I love Katherine Hepburn and A. A. Milne?

Last edited by sunday; 01-26-2013 at 06:45 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #302
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
My, Sunday, you have been busy. For some reason I go a little
when reading about all those helpful supplements. Maybe after I get the basics down it will be something to consider.

Thanks for the answers regarding the fat. I often don't have internet connection (don't have it at home but sometimes can wifi off the neighbor) so research gets very cumbersome. I did try searching it out myself but didn't come up with anything that defined a time. Guess it's (we're) all an experiment. So appreciate all you have done to get this going.
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #303
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
Did you see our mention on Paul's most recent blog post?!!? LCF's PHD thread!! Awesome!!
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #304
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
Did you see our mention on Paul's most recent blog post?!!? LCF's PHD thread!! Awesome!!
Thanks Ouiz! I would love to see the link on his site send some of the longer term PHD folks to drop in and lend us some good advice. Would love more tips and possibly a few cost saving ideas where PHD is concerned. Very happy.

I whipped up something yesterday that I will share because it was so yummy, I am craving it again today. DD for me, so I guess I could make it for one meal and then drink my green smoothie the rest of the day.

I found some very yummy canned salmon, in fact, I was surprised it would be so good. It was. I added a tbsp of mayo, chopped peppers, onion, Bubbie's pickle relish & my very best salsa besides my own homemade (Silver Star Flame Roasted). Salt & Peppered and it was heavenly. In fact, it would be a great lunch for UDs. 250 cals
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #305
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

sounds so good Sunday--have you found a mayo that isn't loaded with bad oils? Sometimes I make my own with rice bran oil, but not often enough.

seeing as I am eating a ton of taters and bone broth with a little salmon, egg, and veg thrown in, the diet doesn't seem that expensive. I guess if you eat a lot of grassfed meat it could get up there--
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #306
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been using Spectrum's made with OO, but found a paleo recipe and would love to try it, w/ flaxseed & OO. Only thing is, I worry about how long it would stay fresh? I guess just make a small amount and then maybe it can be used faster.

I have never heard of rice bran oil. Now, I am going to go look for some.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #307
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have been eating a lot of taters and bone broth as well. I am going to make new beef broth this week and add eggshells. That is definitely the best cost saver. In fact, I know that I am saving money on protein because I am eating less daily!

I am going to have blood work done soon and will be able to know how much my lipids have improved.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #308
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Looks like Spectrum's has a minimal amount of soybean oil? Is there no such thing as OO or EVCO mayo? Flaxseed oil is a seed oil too. I am now wondering how one would make it without anything but OO or evco. I don't thnk I will be eating much mayo.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #309
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

i knowwww. it is the one thing i really miss. sometimes i make mayo with extra light olive oil--sometimes I just break down and eat some best foods--mostly i avoid foods that require mayo or sub in mustard--it is frustrating.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #310
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I love mayo and mayo-based things. I tried making homemade and it just isn't the same.

I have found a cople of things that make it better though. First, use the same acid as your go-to store kind. I was using ACV because I normally like it, but my beloved Best Foods uses lemon. Making that switch helped. I also quit trying to eat it plain, like on veggies (I love it on asparagus), but it is ok in dressings or something like tuna salad.

Also, get an immersion blender if you don't already have one. It makes mayo-making SUPER easy. Just put all the ingrediants in, put the blender in the bottom and slowly pull up. Done and done. I find I have a lot more patience with things not tasting perfect if they weren't hard to make.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #311
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I just finished this book and was very impressed. Lots of solid data yet very readable--I especially appreciate how he doesn't leap too quickly from molecular minutia to food recommendations the way most nutrition literature does.

The book struck me as truthful since I once lost 70 lb. over 12 months studying abroad in Japan, eating grotesque amounts of rice daily and making no effort at weight control. When I returned to the US, I joined a gym and counted calories and regained it all in 6 months...

I just bought some acorn squash and turkey leg bones. Not sure if this is dipping my toe in or taking a leap of faith but we'll see. For science!

Quote:
i knowwww. it is the one thing i really miss. sometimes i make mayo with extra light olive oil--sometimes I just break down and eat some best foods--mostly i avoid foods that require mayo or sub in mustard--it is frustrating.
Strangely, the best option I found is the soy-free version of Veganaise. It's made with high-oleic safflower and has 1g polyunsaturate per serving.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #312
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Quote:
seeing as I am eating a ton of taters and bone broth with a little salmon, egg, and veg thrown in, the diet doesn't seem that expensive. I guess if you eat a lot of grassfed meat it could get up there--
I'm following your lead these days, Ouiz. Late Breakfast of egg/salmon, bit of fat, and veggies. Late lunch of taters and broth (my last batch was killa).
Feels good.

Last edited by Joyjoy; 01-27-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #313
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post

Strangely, the best option I found is the soy-free version of Veganaise. It's made with high-oleic safflower and has 1g polyunsaturate per serving.
I found this to be true too. I did an allergy elimination diet after having some testing done and cut out eggs for a while. This was actually pretty good.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #314
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
@Sunday - re: mayo - I have heard of people using 1 TBL ff Greek Yogurt with a touch of salt and 1/2 tsp lemon or ACV. You might try it. It would stay good for awhile also if you made a bigger batch. I am really trying to cut out all the mystery oils.
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #315
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Marie! I am seriously going to do this. Does the lemon make it taste mayo like? Doesn't need an egg added? Just seems like it would make it closer to the real thing.

Just listened to Paul's interview with Jimmy Moore on Hunger/Satiety and it reinforced that this is why PHD is so perfect with fasting. The biggest reason for extreme hunger on DD is because we are malnourished or have infection/virus or inflammation. I know in the past, that I struggled on DD, if I ate sugar/bread or had wine the Up day prior. I truly believe that nourishing myself through PHD foods has helped me tame the hunger monster that kept beating me into submission when I would try to eat anything I wanted rather than better nutrition. Yes, now and then I want pizza, wine, garlic toast, and ice cream. I will remind myself that I don't want to suffer the following day.

He agreed that women have tougher time with hunger during fasting than men. One caller asked the question because he is a long time intermittent faster and he has no problem with hunger while his wife was struggling with it.

From the PHD book~
Quote:
A nourishing balanced diet that provides all nutrients in the right proportion is the key to eliminating hunger and minimizing appetite.

Eliminating hunger at minimal caloric intake is a key to weight loss.

The Perfect Health Plan is highly effective for long-term weight loss because it does precisely that. Other diets may produce faster early weight loss but will eventually induce malnourishment and a rebound weight gain.

Last edited by sunday; 01-27-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Old 01-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #316
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pete, Your turkey bone broth sounds like it will be good. Let us know.
So, have you added rice back in to your diet? I have not yet, but have a box waiting for me to decide what to do with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #317
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Hi ladies,
I hope it is okay to participate here even though I am lagging far behind you all. I bought the book and have just finished my first read-through of it. It is very fascinating. I have to say I do end up becoming very confused as to what to do however. Ron Rosedale used to be my "diet advisor" and I was reading the back and forth comments about safe starches between him and Paul Jaminet, and they do not agree. I just don't know what is right and figure I can only tell my my own personal experimenting on my body. Switching from one thing to the next can be a bit confusing.

I have been having a muffin each morning for breakfast using Quizoid's fabulous flour mix. I assume that should not be consumed on the PHD? It has coconut flour, oat fiber, egg white, and whey protein. and glucomannan powder. Do you think this is bad choice for this plan? I know Paul is not keen on xanthan gum and the oat fiber is a grain, so probably not? I bought a HUGE bag of oat fiber and egg whites.

Also, I can't find what he thinks about chia seeds. i bought a lot of them thinking it was a good source of Omega 3's, but I saw that Dr Loren Cordain says there is evidence that eating chia seeds causes inflammation in the intestine and may promote “leaky gut” . Did anyone see anything on this in the PHD book?

I also have some gluten free bread mixes and I read that Dr J said:
It is much easier than other Paleo diets to adopt, because we support eating white rice, which makes noodles, crackers, gluten-free breads available to support the full range of foods. So I imagine it is okay to eat it in small quantities depending on what flours they use to make the mix?

Any thoughts on that? I am trying to develop a couple weeks menus. I am making my bone broth now and fermented some veges. For egg yolks, do people just hard boil and egg and use the yolks from it and not the whites?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #318
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I think you should definitely experiement with how you feel as well. Are you talking about Rosedale having issues with the safe starches?

As for being "by the book" PHD, I think we all will have a way to go. I know that I am more than likely going to enjoy some foods that are not PHD, for instance my mayo that has soybean oil in it now and then. I am going to try and clean my diet, but it is likely to take some time. As you can tell, we are learning as we go on this and it may be that tomorrow we learn something new that helps make eating optimally easier.

I guess what I am trying to say, is use up your gluten free flours and enjoy. As for the Chia, please feel free to ask him what his opinion is on the site. In fact, I know that I have a bag in my freezer, so I will do a search and see if he has already had someone ask this. I find it so interesting the variety of questions that people have been asking.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #319
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

On the egg yolks, I have been eating the whole egg. I have not cut back to just the yolk yet. I would think you would have to boil it, if that is what you are trying to separate.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #320
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I failed to say, I welcome your participation!!! I only began this thread so that we could all learn from each other and I had no idea when starting this that I would become so encouraged by reading and learning that I would fall in love with PHD.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #321
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
I haven't tried it yet, as right now I am on hcg and am not supposed to "mix" proteins, so unless I wanted a whole meal of GY or dairy I am not likely. BUT I was considering one TBL to be a sub for my "milk" like is allowed in one cup of coffee but have it with tunafish sometime, so I might bend the rules a little LOL. I would try it both ways, with the lemon and with the ACV, but I would tend to think, as I have made my own mayo before, that the ACV might be "more" like regular mayo, especially salted.

I agree very much that the body responds to draconian weightloss methods with a severe reaction that includes immediate gains. How could it not? This is why when I do hcg I follow all the rules, AND I follow all the rules of stabilization, and I still end up almost always up 3-5 pounds from my lowest as soon as I am eating more nutrition. I read somewhere (for the life of me I can't remember where) that the body does several mean things to make us gain even if we're behaving ourselves: Makes us HUNGRY by changing our leptin balance; Slows down metabolism; Slows down digestion (so you get more calories from everything you do eat), and this actually can make you get 120 calories out of something we only count as 100 as per "normal" caloric burning. There's more but I don't remember it all - I just remember thinking "SNEAKY BODY!" Dangit. So I know true nutrition is the answer. It's all a process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Thanks Marie! I am seriously going to do this. Does the lemon make it taste mayo like? Doesn't need an egg added? Just seems like it would make it closer to the real thing.

Just listened to Paul's interview with Jimmy Moore on Hunger/Satiety and it reinforced that this is why PHD is so perfect with fasting. The biggest reason for extreme hunger on DD is because we are malnourished or have infection/virus or inflammation. I know in the past, that I struggled on DD, if I ate sugar/bread or had wine the Up day prior. I truly believe that nourishing myself through PHD foods has helped me tame the hunger monster that kept beating me into submission when I would try to eat anything I wanted rather than better nutrition. Yes, now and then I want pizza, wine, garlic toast, and ice cream. I will remind myself that I don't want to suffer the following day.

He agreed that women have tougher time with hunger during fasting than men. One caller asked the question because he is a long time intermittent faster and he has no problem with hunger while his wife was struggling with it.

From the PHD book~

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #322
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Thank you dear Sunday.

I found Jaminet's response to chia seeds:

Chia seeds — in general the fiber we recommend is from starches (eg potato) or fruits and vegetables (eg tomato, berries). In general seed fibers may often be harmful. Chia seeds are usually eaten for their omega-3 fats, which are OK as long as the seeds are fresh. However, chia seeds are also rich in manganese which is neurotoxic at fairly low doses. So I would eat chia seeds only occasionally or in low doses. I wouldn’t make it a daily food.
sungoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #323
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C'Marie View Post
Slows down digestion (so you get more calories from everything you do eat), and this actually can make you get 120 calories out of something we only count as 100 as per "normal" caloric burning. There's more but I don't remember it all - I just remember thinking "SNEAKY BODY!" Dangit. So I know true nutrition is the answer. It's all a process!
I just read an article that someone linked from either PHD or one of the many blogs that I read today, that said that JAMA published a study that recent research points to more calories are burned daily on a low carb or low glycemic diet than on low fat, even when all calories are exactly the same. As much as 300 calories per day more.

Quote:
A new study is raising questions about the age-old belief that a calorie is a calorie. The research finds that dieters who were trying to maintain their weight loss burned significantly more calories eating a low-carb diet than they did eating a low-fat diet.
Googling just one sentence should take you there.

Marie, Do you have a journal? If so, I would love to cheer you on.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:56 PM   #324
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
So, have you added rice back in to your diet? I have not yet, but have a box waiting for me to decide what to do with it.
To be honest I never really eliminated it--I guess I was applying my Japan memories. I haven't been storing or cooking rice in my kitchen but when dining socially I would consider a sushi plate or a burrito bowl to be a legal choice. (I never did VLC).

I was very interested to see Jaminet mention the formula of acid + fat + vegetable fiber to minimize GI as opposed to eating a starchy snack between meals because that's exactly how I was eating it. I'm always guarded against foods if I feel I'm not in full control, but rice never threatened me in that way.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #325
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: gotsomeold
Stats: 175/111.8/124 - 5'4, 61yo
WOE: JUDDD/PHD, LC now that my BG is getting weird
Start Date: JUDDD 1/1/12 + LCHF 12/1/13 (controlling diabetes)
May I join the party?

Life has been really busy lately. It took me two days to remember, find, and read through this thread.

And I laughed my way through it.

Oh, not laughing at you or at PHD.

Laughing because for months and months now - and entirely inadvertently, just eating what feels best to me - I have fallen into something that seems to approximate PHD pretty closely. I am still kind of recovering from the hernia and consequent surgery, my body has still got some inflammation...but, wow, PHD (in a JUDDD eating pattern because, so far, my body really loves the rotation) sounds good!

I ordered the book.

Beverly (and I am not sure if this is according to PHD protocols, so someone slap me down if I am incorrect) I beat an egg yolk into cool bone broth, added water to thin things down a bit, simmered. Added a twist of sea salt. The result was a thick, creamy, filling, and unexpected delicious soup.

Yes Sunday, the egg shell went into the gently bubbling crock pot. I may not be around much, but I am trying to pay attention!
STILL below goal 2/15/14

I did not "lose" weight. I evicted it. It is gone and it ain't coming back!

JUDDD cares about calories. JUDDD does not care what you eat. Your body probably does.

Last edited by gotsomeold; 01-28-2013 at 07:20 AM..
gotsomeold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #326
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paul has posted a bit more about his interview on his site.

1. Malnourishment leading to “nutrient hunger”;
2. Immune system reactions and inflammatory pathways to hunger;
3. The role of gut bacteria and gut dysbioses in promoting hunger;
4. The role of circadian rhythm disruption in increasing appetite.

These are all pathways that can be modulated to minimize appetite and make weight loss easier.

I will listen again to catch his ideas on the gut bacteria and circadian rhythm disruption.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #327
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Woohoo! Nancy is here! So glad to have your thoughts and tips!

I thought exactly the same as you when I read the PHD info. This is the way I tend to eat anyway while JUDDD, but now that I am closing in on maintenance, I want to optimize my health.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #328
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, and Nancy, I am still reading the book and highlighting. Especially the stuff pertaining to my health issues. Plus, I learn more from reading his Q&A as well. Talk about having fun while learning.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #329
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Good morning. Have we got some new folks posting? Welcome, everybody.

I see some new discussion. Really must get the book. Although it looks like much of this info is coming from the website. What do you think? Is it worth the price of the book?
cici52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 AM   #330
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think you can learn a wealth of info from his site Cici. I love having the book for highlighting and referring back to, but I can locate answers speedier with his search link on his site. Also, I have subscribed to the Q&A and take time to look through that each day. Paul is refurbishing the site, so it will have a forum which would be great to network with all PHDers.