Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #271
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Joyjoy
Stats: ?? Feeling great 52yo
WOE: Intuitive/Hunger Driven Now.
Start Date: April, 2014
Cici, I love following your experiment. Thanks! I'm still working on where and how much potatoes fit into all of this for me.
Sunday, I'm doing a smaller window. I can do a lot of damage in eight hours.
I do love the window. It's a boundary I find easy to respect, and the resulting physical peace feels great. It's still an effort, because of hunger, to combine it with JUDDD cycles. I'm doing okay so far, but am aiming for something that doesn't feel like struggle at all.
Glad you like the quote. Thanks for Katherine Hepburn on bday card. That told me a lot about you being a good egg.
So grateful for your keen minds.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #272
Major LCF Poster!

You know, one of the things that appeals to me about PHD is the idea that my cravings (for heaps of food and for sugary stuff) result from inadequate nourishment. I can hardly wait to see whether BB and taters change that.
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #273
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sunday
Stats: 225/145/ ...
WOE: Perfect Health Diet- 16hr Daily Fast
Start Date: JUDDD - 2/01/12 Began at 200, Goal 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyjoy View Post
You know, one of the things that appeals to me about PHD is the idea that my cravings (for heaps of food and for sugary stuff) result from inadequate nourishment. I can hardly wait to see whether BB and taters change that.
I agree! And I am fascinated by this and the calming that potatoes provide. I have only been eating about 1 cup per day and not always on DD. I do have bb every day.
Somewhere in that longer tater hack thread, I posted something about this from the book, "Potatoes Not Prozac" which I haven't read yet, but want to based on the reviews. Sugar sensitivity causes excess craving and triggers the brain to continue the cycle because it is pleasure seeking.

The author, Kathleen des Maisons, learned about the importance of sugar through her work as a drug and alcohol treatment counselor. She was having the usual low success rate in helping people stay off alcohol. Then she discovered how certain foods lead to addiction to alcohol and drugs, as well as being addictive themselves.

She found that nearly all alcoholics lived largely on pasta, white breads and sweet things. She knew what they were suffering. Her own father drank himself to death at age 51, and she herself weighed 240 pounds and had had problems with drinking. When she discovered the benefits of a diet high in protein and (taters) vegetables for herself, she started using it with her clients. Her success rates soared, even with the hardest cases.

Alcoholism seemed to run very strongly in my ex's family. He was addicted to both alcohol/narcotics but was able to conquer his alcohol addiction. However, he still eats sugar like a maniac. He lives on ice cream daily and lots of candy. Same thing with my bff, she doesn't have alcohol addiction, (although we both wine) but she has very strong sugar addiction. She has tried many, many times to conquer it and still has a struggle.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...th-august.html

Last edited by sunday; 01-24-2013 at 09:01 AM..
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
I have the book somewhere. AS I remember, the mechanism was started when the protein was in the body several hours prior to the evening potato (with skin). In a fast and dirty nutshell, the protein supplies the aminos necessary for proper brain function and the time between the protein and a complex carb allows time for the stronger aminos to get out of the way of the weaker tryptophan which is then activated by the carb.

Just as an aside to you, Sunday, the bulk of my weightloss occurred as a result of going wheat and dairy free years ago. For the most part that meant GF and processed free too, as it was just easier to omit all that stuff than deal with what might be hiding in the food if it was processed. Example, I read all the packaged frozen potatoes and found wheat in all of them. It was just so much easier to control my eating with the offenders out of the picture. My difficulties in continuing to lose has been since reintroducing grains and dairy. PHD of course, eliminates most of these again so hope to finish the journey to goal now. So, just wanted you to know that your recent giving up grains may make everything else easier.

I just had a HUGE lunch compared to recent days and don't know how I will manage to get enough calories in for the rest of the day. Felt like Thanksgiving. It seems important to have a high calorie day every few days to keep the metabolism running high.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #275
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I want to add that my best friend truly finds eating whole foods of any kind very difficult. She is about 70 lbs overweight and lost a good deal of weight a few years ago on Jenny Craig (which is all processed), but gained all back plus a few. She says that it is too hard to eat whole foods. I have tried to guide her, but one of her main setbacks is that she won't cook. She will run grab fast food or heat up in the microwave pre-packaged frozen meals. She blames her sugar addiction on her childhood and being the baby of 5 children. When she was very ill, a few months ago, the only thing she could eat, was ice cream and mac'n'cheese. She said that it was all that could ease her discomfort.

Cici, I had pretty much cut out all wheat prior to PHD, although, I still ate steel cut oats and quinoa. I have not craved either yet, but wonder if a cream of rice would take the place? Or tapioca?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess that means that the ever so lovely "golden crinkles extra crispy" have added wheat?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

I don't know, Sunday. I haven't read (or bought) any frozen foods except plain veggies or plain fish in many years. Just meant you really have to read the ingredients to be sure you are avoiding something. Maybe not so important unless you are allergic. Guess I mixed up on who just gave up grains.

I have some quinoa in the cupboard as well as some tapioca. I plan to use them up as well as anything else I find in there, but like a once/week treat.

Last edited by cici52; 01-24-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #278
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Jaminet believes that tapioca is fine and possibly some quinoa although it is a grain. Which reminds me that I need to read why this is so important to maintain "perfect health".
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Cici, I don't do wheat or any other grains. I feel better and have fewer cravings without. But I have a hard time picturing life without dairy. It's such an easy source of fat and taste. What were your staples when you were off grains and dairy?
Joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #280
Major LCF Poster!

Meat, vegetables, fruit, legumes. Sometimes rice or potatoes or rice pasta. Some soy products like tofu though I gave that up too. I love soup so made lots of that when it was cooler.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #281
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cici52 View Post
Meat, vegetables, fruit, legumes. Sometimes rice or potatoes or rice pasta. Some soy products like tofu though I gave that up too. I love soup so made lots of that when it was cooler.
What about fermented dairy? Or butter, aged cheese, & yogurt? All PHD foods?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: C'Marie
Stats: 270/down 110-ish/ goal 147
WOE: hCG Rx shots/JUDDD maintain
Start Date: 1/4/2010 Now R9 P2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Yes, you can buy bone broth already made through that one site. US Wellness Meats. They also sell very good cartilage and marrow bones for a great price. There is another site, I believe it is Eat Wild, that had bone broth. You can de-fat any broth that you make very easily. Just put in fridge and the fat floats to the top once it is cold and hardens, I poke a whole in the fat and pour all of the broth through the hole into a good freezer type container.

Also, I found organic free range beef & chicken broth at my local wfs. It is very tasty and should give you something to sip on when you are feeliing the need for very low cals.

Marie, I admire that you can do this. I have seriously thought about it, then I decide just to hang here, it may be because I am so low eod, that it seems way too much for me. I wish you well!
I am doing hcg because I *can't* go too low on calories eod on JUDDD. With my adrenal issues, the stress of low cals sets off adrenalin rushes and I have to take larger amounts of isocort to stop the heart pounding. I don't have to do that on hcg because of it making the stored fat circulate. I was really enjoying JUDDD and thought I could maybe just continue that, but I can't go much lower than 500-600 and I am really more comfortable at 800-900 - great for maintenance but not so good for weightloss. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me later. My thyroid/adrenal issue are such a pain right now. Balancing everything and being able to sleep - aiy aiy aiy.

But I do feel the need to supplement where I can to try to heal. I will look into the bone broth. I'm also getting some better vitamins now that I've worked my way through what I had. I abused my body for so long. Now I make much healthier choices and much fewer questionables
I always like to come read what you're doing. You inspire me.

HCG Rx to lose - JUDDD to maintain
C'Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
What about fermented dairy? Or butter, aged cheese, & yogurt? All PHD foods?
I was answering kristen's question about my diet years ago. Didn't know about PHD then.

I do eat butter and cheese now and kefir went well so bought some yogurt this week. Need to keep dairy at a minimum though for my body.

Last edited by cici52; 01-25-2013 at 05:16 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 AM   #284
Major LCF Poster!

Got hit by the binge monster in the grocery store yesterday and had some stupid things in my cart but ditched my temptations before check out and had a legal substitution when I got home so finished the day okay.

Today another potato day. I have a cleaning job so it will be easy to pack along.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 240/current ?/125
WOE: JUDDD restart 8/14
Start Date: (Juddd 2010)
Good morning Ladies~ I'm enjoying the conversations re: potatoes, and 'potatoes not Prozac'.

First as an 'aside' to Sunday re: your BFF` that was me a few years ago. Ice cream and mac n cheese were my ultimate comfort foods and they're so dense in calories. I still think about those foods but I do stay away for obvious reasons. It wasn't until I weaned myself off of wheat that it became quite clear to me that I was wheat addicted. Wheat was a trigger for binges of course but also "non-binge' behavior that brought me back again and again to wheat foods~ bagels, pasta, pizza, biscuits...breaded and fried foods, etc. After doing so well on any diet, wheat would derail me and send me off on a 'wheat binge' that wouldn't stop until I had undone all of my good work. Like not smoking, it took many tries to stop eating wheat until I realized that it would take many weeks to get passed the feelings of 'loss' that came with stopping. And it was a deep feeling of loss, for real. I'm so glad I did it.

I read Potatoes not Prozac many years ago trying to pull myself out of the funk of losing my eldest brother and my Mom within a year of each other. I did see a therapist a few times but I couldn't bring myself to talk about any of it so I was wasting both of our time. I've always been a 'self-healer' I guess (apparently it's harder to heal obesity) and the book helped a lot. Ultimately time helps. It's still around here somewhere....

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...-required.html
Blonde with a Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Blonde, I am so sorry for your loss. It has been exactly one year yesterday that I lost my brother. He was the baby and it still hurts but I know that you are right, time heals.

I think it is interesting that wheat could be the real issue? I always thought it was sugar and she definitely believes her addiction is sugar. She is on Medifast liquid diet and seems to be doing well. I am not very familiar with it. I just don't seem to do well with liquid diets. She was very hungry for the 1st week and was expecting like a 10 lb loss, but I still think she has done better this time around. Her son is getting married in April, so this is a big deal for her.

Cici, I have had the exact same kind of experience at the grocery store! It is almost trance like. Very hard to explain except, that you pick up one thing, then the next item is something that usually goes with the wonderful chips, like queso, and I keep going and going, etc.

I had a binge night not long ago and it was directly related to me having one glass of Pinot. I know that everyone has their triggers, but it was like my brain went into, "I can have it!" mode. So, I would go eat chocolate and then nuts and then chips. It really brought me down to earth. I don't beat myself up but I do realize that sitting down and figuring out what happens to set this off, is very therapeutic. Or it has been for me anyway.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Marie, I wish so I could link the article that I just read about bone broth, but did you know that the best, very best broth is made from chickens and eggshells. I will cut and paste for you. My DD found a really good deal on hormone & anti-biotic free chicken at Target. She said that it is in the organic section, but it was about $3.00 more than the Tyson brand and she decided that it would be worth it for the broth. I buy my free range eggs at my local grocer, so I am very anxious to save the shells for my next chicken broth.
Quote:

1. What is bone broth? It is the delicious result of allowing bones, crustacean shells and eggshells to simmer for hours in water with a splash of vinegar. The acidic water and heat pull minerals and other nutrients out of the bones, cartilage and shells, resulting in a broth with unsurpassed flavor and body.
This traditional food has been abandoned by many as the fast pace of life forces us to eat out and use canned or boxed broths when we do cook. Unfortunately, the packaged stuff only gives us sticker shock, flat flavor, additives like MSG, and a fraction of the nutrition.

2. Chicken cartilage beats glucosamine/chondroitin supplements hands-down. In the 1990’s, researchers discovered that glucosamine and chondroitin reduce arthritis pain and stiffness. But they may not be the most effective healers, because several studies show that whole chicken collagen capsules (made from cartilage) work better than the extracted glucosamine and chondroitin.

One of these studies was reported in the International Journal of Medical Science. In it, 52 subjects with osteoarthritis were randomly assigned to take glucosamine and chondroitin or undenatured type II collagen capsules (made from chicken cartilage) for 90 days. Those taking collagen experienced less pain during both active and resting times of the day and night. Collagen-takers also resorted to less pain medication.

3. Eggshell membranes also outperform glucosamine and chondroitin. Eggshells contain both glucosamine and chondroitin, but several studies seem to indicate that whole eggshell membrane acts more quickly and comprehensively than glucosamine and chondroitin.

One study found that osteoarthritis patients experienced less pain in as little as ten days, while related study of people who had joint and connective tissue disorders had 27% more flexibility after seven days. After 30 days, patients had an astonishing 72% reduction in general pain, a 43% increase in flexibility and a 75% reduction in pain associated with range of motion.

4. Go for bone broth. You could buy eggshell membrane and chicken cartilage supplements, but why not just make some bone broth for free? Stock your leftover bones, vegetable scraps, eggshells and crustacean shells in the freezer. When you’re ready to cook, pull them out and toss them in a stock or crock pot. Splash with vinegar, add water to just cover ingredients, and simmer for at least a day. Cool, strain, and divide it in small containers to freeze.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunday, thank you for the condolence. That was 2 decades ago but three years ago I lost my middle brother and my Dad within three months of each other. Cancer and heart failure respectively. I was extremely close to my middle brother and it's still so painful. I'm older now, I think as we age we take things more in stride. The devastation I felt at the loss of my Mom (she was 59) when I was in my early 30's was so much harder than now. I feel the loss deeply but I'm more accepting? I don't know if that's the right word. I guess you have to live awhile before you can believe the 'life goes on' scenario. I'm two years from my Mom's age when she passed...my gosh she was too young.

And I'm sorry for your loss as well. It's so hard to lose a sibling!

Last edited by Blonde with a Rose; 01-25-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Old 01-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #289
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
do we worry about the O6 fats in chicken? Maybe if we are totally removing the skin it is less of an issue? I remember Paul writing about chicken as an inferior meat source, but maybe that is less of an issue with the bones. I know my beef bones never gel the way my chicken stock does, even with less cooking--
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sungoddess
WOE: Perfect Health Diet/JUDDD
Start Date: LC;HCG; 1/19/12/JUDDD; 1/13/13 PHD/JUDDD
Quote:
Marie, I wish so I could link the article that I just read about bone broth, but did you know that the best, very best broth is made from chickens and eggshells. I will cut and paste for you. My DD found a really good deal on hormone & anti-biotic free chicken at Target. She said that it is in the organic section, but it was about $3.00 more than the Tyson brand and she decided that it would be worth it for the broth. I buy my free range eggs at my local grocer, so I am very anxious to save the shells for my next chicken broth.
Sunday, thanks for this tip. I am going to Target. I was getting so frustrated with my bone broth that I looked to see if I could buy it. Yes, there is a company that sells it ad uses organic grass fed bones and they send the stuff to your home frozen, but it comes to about $5.00 per 8 ounce cup. No can do!

For some reason, I don't get ANY gel from mine. I looked up why I might not be getting it and they say too much water or boiling it too long. The suggestion is to bring it just to boil and then simmer under the boiling point. I was doing it in my crockpot, so couldn't control that. I made some more in a pot on the stove, and still no gel. Do you get a good amount of gel?

I have trouble finding bones! I asked the butcher at Sprouts and he had 3 small round ones and they were $1.49. Okay good. I then went to a place called Windmill Farms that has lots of health foods. I asked the butcher at this store and he said to check out the freezer section. There were 3 large bones there. Each one was over $11.00 each. i remember a day when I could get a ton of bones for free, for the dog!

I know I am making this more difficult than it needs to be!
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
do we worry about the O6 fats in chicken? Maybe if we are totally removing the skin it is less of an issue? I remember Paul writing about chicken as an inferior meat source, but maybe that is less of an issue with the bones. I know my beef bones never gel the way my chicken stock does, even with less cooking--
Yes, I read this on his blog yesterday as a matter of fact. I am curious, because although I am not a big chicken meat eater. I love the broth and eggs of course. He promotes eggs but not chicken because of O6. I didn't read anything about the chicken bone broth, so I guess that may not be as bad? I will do some more searching before I ask.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #292
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Bev, I have a butcher in town who does lots of special orders and I called him and asked him for bones, they get a lot of requests, so they keep them. He sells them quite inexpensively. On the US Wellness Meats site, they have beef marrow, knuckle bones, and beef tallow and the prices don't seem too out of sight. You can re-use the bones for more stock too.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Paul has several chicken recipes on his site too. I think he may be warning that the meat is chock full of O6, so consuming chicken frequently may not be best for weight loss? Which is sort of ironic, because most dieters eat lots of chicken.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #294
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Just cut and paste the most important info on his site. Seems like eggs and chicken are fine in limitation. No more than 3 yolks per day and if possible try and find the cage free eggs. Nothing to concern ourselves about as far as bone broth! So we are good there.

Quote:
We recommend three egg yolks per day for their nutrition, but the poor quality of industrial chickens is a real concern. If you can find a place in your budget for only one naturally raised food, make it your eggs.

I think most of the health problems with chicken are probably attributable to its omega-6 content, and in the context of a low omega-6 diet there is probably little harm to consuming gently cooked chicken or eggs. So I think most of the known concerns with chicken consumption should not frighten Perfect Health Dieters. Ironically, what makes chicken healthful is consuming red meat or seafood most of the week!

However, because eggs are such a significant part of our micronutrient recommendations, I think it is desirable to find an egg producer who lets the hens roam and eat insects and other natural chicken foods. Healthy chickens produce more healthful eggs; healthful eggs produce healthy people.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #295
Major LCF Poster!

Oizoid, or anybody that knows regarding the potato hack. I don't remember this being covered.

As I understand it, the mechanism for pulling the fat out of the cells is the absence of dietary fat for the liver's metabolism of the potato. If that much is correct, then how long must we have been without dietary fat for this to happen? I was thinking today with this morning's potato, was last night's dinner fat still in play? How long does it take to get it out of the blood stream after eating? I did 2 potato days, had a normal day yesterday and resumed potatoes today. Do I need to do potatoes for some number of days before the fat starts to come out of the body? Do you know what I am talking about?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ouiz said that she does add a little bit of fat. I think if all you are eating is taters, a small amount doesn't negate the fast. I know that on Paleohacks several people were doing this for a period of 4 days or more and many of them added a couple of slices of bacon and still lost well.

Here is one review, but you can see many more by going and searching...

Quote:
I started hearing about the mysterious 'potato diet' a few months ago and gave it a try. Atkins, Paleo, Primal, PHD, etc... all have a problem: The dreaded plateau.

I had given up hope for losing my last 10, so I did the 'potato diet'.

Here's what I did: I ate potatoes for 14 days. The first 7 were all plain potatoes, the last 7 days I added about 2 strips of fatty bacon per day. I lost 12 pounds in those two weeks, and I've kept it off for 30 days now.

Prior to starting, I was in 'nutritional ketosis' like Jimmy for almost 3 months and not losing. I went to a pure starch diet, cut way down on calories--but was less hungry than when eating high fat. It got my hunger, snacking, and carb fears under control. I now include some potatoes every day and eat more toward satiety than any special macro percentage.

Missing link?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It is amazing, isn't it?
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I eat about 5-6 grams of fat per meal when I am doing it. If I have a bunch of protein and fat (eg bacon and eggs) I wait 4 hours before I do a potato meal. Seems to work for me.
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #299
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

One of my fav meals, is hashbrowns with 2 eggs over easy, 2 slice of bacon. The perfect UD starter meal. 423 cals

I thought this question and answer interesting.

Quote:
Hi Paul,

What do you think about desiccated pasture-raised beef liver caps for a pregnant woman who cannot remotely think of getting lamb or beef liver down?

Thanks!

Kristen

Paul Jaminet January 20, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Hi Kristen,

I think it’s fine but expensive.

Ashley January 25, 2013 at 10:16 am
If I may make a suggestion, I was recently pregnant and here’s what I found works. Get frozen grassfed beef liver. Thaw it out and pat it dry. Chop it up into as small of bits as you can swallow (like a pill). Put the bits on wax paper. Sprinkle liberally with lemon juice. The vitamin C in lemon juice helps you absorb the vitamins in the liver, and it masks any residual taste after refreezing. Refreeze the liver on the wax paper. Peel off your “pills” and swallow with water daily. I’ve never tasted any liver just lemon! Cheaper than pills too!
Paul agrees because he linked her answer and said for another person to try this. I do not have problems with liver, but would much rather take it this way as a supplement. Now to find the hormone free liver.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From the PHD book

Quote:
Nutritious Foods

These foods can be purchased online and are helpful parts of the diet.

Coconut oil

Rich in ketogenic medium chain triglycerides
Has antimicrobial properties, helpful in bowel diseases

Coconut milk and creamed coconut

Alternative source of coconut oil; 3 tbsp coconut milk contains 1 tbsp coconut oil

Medium chain triglycerides

An alternative source of ketogenic fatty acids
All the benefits of coconut oil

Rice Noodles

Tinkyada white rice spaghetti noodles are highly recommended by Mia
Brown rice noodles are available in more forms, including lasagna noodles

More Noodles and Flour

Pad Thai noodles are good for most cooking applications, including spaghetti
Gluten Free Pantry flour is recommended by Emily

“Safe Starch” Sweeteners

These syrups lack fructose and, as “safe starch” derivatives, also lack toxic proteins.
Rice syrup is mainly maltose and maltotriose.
Tapioca syrup is also composed of sugars of glucose.

Low-Carb Sweeteners

For those on ketogenic diets who wish to keep carbs down.
Stevia is a popular low-carb sweetener.
Erythritol is a natural sugar alcohol with almost no calories.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that inhibits Candida but can act as a laxative.

Buffet and snack seaweed

Nori, the famous Japanese sushi seaweed, is rather bland
Korean seasoned seaweed is much tastier

Dried Seaweed

Valuable source of iodine and other trace minerals
Wakame (sweet, soft) and kelp/kombu (tougher, but richer in iodine) are good in soups
Dulse flakes can be used to flavor foods

Sea salt

Useful source of trace minerals, sodium and chloride
Appropriate amount: 1/4 tsp/day on carb-rich diet, 1 tsp/day on very low-carb diet

Last edited by sunday; 01-26-2013 at 04:31 AM..