Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FSmith
Stats: 195
WOE: Dr. Mark Hyman
Start Date: May 2012
Dr Mark Hyman's plan?

Heard about Dr. Mark Hyman from Western Mass. on Public Television. My A1C was headed in the wrong direction. Bought his book on diabesity. He may be a little radical (He thinks sugar is killing America. "Don't eat anything that comes in a package"), BUT, I followed his advice. Lost 30 pounds in 4 months. I'm never hungry but eat lots of food. A1C dropped from 7.4 to 6.5. Follow-up blood test 3 months later (11/30/12), A1C dropped to 6.2!!! I feel great. As for chicken wings, Dr. Mark says, "fat does not make you fat." It's all about low glycemic index. Again from Dr. Mark, "Love potatoes? Put califlouer in blender and serve like mashed potatoes with a little (real) butter." Dr. Mark cited a study that showed that the effects of sugar on the brain are identical to cocaine! First challenge is to break the sugar addiction.
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
sounds like you are on the right track with your A1c. get it under 6 for the most heart protection. BloodSugar101 discusses how there is a linear relationship between A1c and heart risk starting at 4.8 and going up. I try to keep mine at 5.4, but it was 5.8 last time.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pealark
WOE: Dr. Hyman, Blood Sugar Solution
Hi
I too saw Dr Hyman on PBS. Got the book. Lost twenty lbs fast. Then started to cheat b/c blood sugar had immediately gone back to good. (I'm not diabetic, but insulin resistant.) I still have the twenty off, but need to loose more, so I think I'll try this again. The other plan I'm looking to try its ""Heaven & Health". Seems to concentrate on high fiber, all natural with limited animal products & low glycemic. So very similar to BSS (Hyman) but allows more (complex) carbs.

I want to include as many carbs as possible because I can stay with a plan longer/better when they are at reasonable levels.

Last edited by Pealark; 12-29-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Pealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: cpislander
I bought his cook book and it's great. Just started low carb on Jan 1, have lost 5 lbs, but another 40 to go. Haven't lost any this week, but read that water retention is probably the problem. Will keep at it.
cpislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Pealark
WOE: Dr. Hyman, Blood Sugar Solution
Still working for you?

Hi FS
Is the Hyman plan still working for you? I went of of it. But kept the weight off. I still need to lose more, so I went on Atkins induction yesterday. I hope to switch to hyman after that b/c i find it so hard to live w/o fruit.
Pealark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pealark View Post
Hi FS
Is the Hyman plan still working for you? I went of of it. But kept the weight off. I still need to lose more, so I went on Atkins induction yesterday. I hope to switch to hyman after that b/c i find it so hard to live w/o fruit.
Which book is it that folks ordered? Funny everyone discusses a book without stating what it is. Dr. Hyman has written numerous books.
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote