Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Annie75
WOE: Low carb
The Virgin Diet (author JJ Virgin)

Anyone heard about this? I DVR'd this on PBS tonight. Haven't watched it all, but the basics are that for 21 days you completely cut 7 foods from your WOE.
They are:
Soy
Peanuts
Sugar and AS
Corn
Eggs
Dairy
Gluten

Her reasoning is that these are the main offenders in the area of food allergies. You cut these from your WOE for 3 weeks, then slowly add them back one at a time to see if you have a reaction to them. She's a big believer that undetechted food allergies add to our inflammation and cause all sorts ills including the inability to lose weight. Most of her people drop 7 pounds the first week.

May give this a stab after the holidays. I have a butt load of allergies; food allergies would not be a surprise.

Last edited by Annie75; 12-02-2012 at 05:10 PM..
Annie75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Yes, sounds like a standard elimination diet. Nothing wrong with those, they're very helpful for folks who have either tested for specific sensitivities or want to slowly reintroduce foods to determine if they cause an issue. I did not do that specific diet, but something to that effect, after my blood panel indicated my major food sensitivities. And to a lesser extent that is the purpose of Atkins induction - the primary food offenders except dairy and eggs are ousted, and then the slow reintroduction of them in OWL allows for a critical examination of whether or not your body can tolerate them.

I'm all for elimination diets when persistent health problems or weight stalls are occurring. Oftentimes the food is in fact a contributor to the malaise.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud
WOE: No Sugar/No Starch
Start Date: Restart: 7/28/14
Yeah, she was featured on Jimmy Moore's site last month. She even had a free giveaway to her new book (IIRC, the first 1000 people?), you were only responsible for S&H. I am not sure if the offer is still in effect or not. I didn't order it.

ETA: Just checked JM site and the free offer has expired but she is offering bonuses if you purchase the book and email the receipt. Just go to Jimmy's site and type in "Virgin Diet" and click on her podcast link/summary and you will see the "free" book offer link (still active but no longer free though) for the details on the bonus offer.

Last edited by Rosebud; 12-02-2012 at 06:12 PM..
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: goldgirl24
WOE: LC, kinda induction
Start Date: August 2012
I just read a sample of her book.

If I'm correct it's all about food intolerance and how even the slightest exposure to those sorts of foods can set you back.

Interesting read, especially from the LC perspective, I might buy the whole book.
goldgirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I haven't read the book, but I'm doing a variation of that due to certain foods causing me nausea/vomiting after eating them and stalled weight loss. I'm seeing results along with a decrease in appetite which was something I didn't expect. My diet elimination consists of no dairy, nuts/seeds, eggs, nightshades (peppers, eggplant, tomato), alcohol, sugar (except soy-free dark chocolate). I've since reintroduced dairy (decided not to have it except on rare occasions because I noticed it caused swelling) and alcohol (except on rare occasions because it, too, caused me to swell..weird). My weight is SLOWLY started to go down...plus, I added exercise.

**My goal has changed from mere weight loss to health, quality of life, and longevity. This is no longer a diet but a way of life.**

"NEVER, NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!"~Winston Churchill
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: islegirl
Stats: 148/?
WOE: Atkins
This is interesting and I've thought about doing some kind of elimination diet recently but I am just wondering - since I'm doing low carb (Atkins) what would I eat without using those foods on her list that would take the place of eggs and dairy? Daily I now use eggs and ff Greek yogurt. And I was wondering if no sugar includes no berries? Just wondering.
islegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I follow A Paleo template. My carbs are not induction levels so it includes 1-2 pieces fruit daily, squash, sweet potato. Of course I eat other veggies, but my carbs range from 50-75g. I exercise, too, which helps me a lot in terms of processing those carbs. I'm not sure about Atkins and an elimination diet. It would probably be meats and veggies only.
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
The induction phase is absolutely an elimination diet, just not a total one (and neither is Virgin's, there are allergens that are still somewhat common and not on that list ). The types of dairy he allows, for example, are not the biggest culprits in inflammation except for those truly allergic to casein and lactose. Fermented cheeses are not nearly so inflammatory as milk and yogurt. Eggs, too, are often not inflammatory for many folks when the cofactors like oats or wheat are eliminated first, as has been my experience.

You absolutely can do induction as a total elimination diet and he essentially recommend that for when candida becomes an issue, but as is the amount of elimination prescribed in induction is sufficient to clear up the majority of inflammatory responses in most dieters (though not all!).
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kerri_Jo
Stats: 186/147/120-125
Is anyone interested in doing this? I plan on starting tomorrow, and could use support, recipes, menu ideas etc. I've done Atkins (but got stuck at 150 lbs), and HCG (and lost a lot of weight, but was starving, and gained it all back). My scale is broken, but I'll probably pick one up Tuesday. So, I'll have to post current stats in a couple days.
I heard JJ Virgin on Jimmy Moore's podcasts a couple times, and this diet makes sense to me. I think she's got some really good ideas.
Kerri_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uniquelymade
Stats: tight 18/20 Now 10
WOE: Whole foods Low Carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
I haven't read the book, but I'm doing a variation of that due to certain foods causing me nausea/vomiting after eating them and stalled weight loss. I'm seeing results along with a decrease in appetite which was something I didn't expect. My diet elimination consists of no dairy, nuts/seeds, eggs, nightshades (peppers, eggplant, tomato), alcohol, sugar (except soy-free dark chocolate). I've since reintroduced dairy (decided not to have it except on rare occasions because I noticed it caused swelling) and alcohol (except on rare occasions because it, too, caused me to swell..weird). My weight is SLOWLY started to go down...plus, I added exercise.
I also have a problem with these foods and eat very similiar to you!
uniquelymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jaymar
WOE: Atkins...Juddd
Start Date: Nov 28 2012
Our local PBS had the JJ Virgin show on about two weeks ago...I thought that it makes good sense to check and see if certain foods can cause problems..I suspected I was gluten intolerant, so I used her list and stopped everything except potatoes..after another week I can try the gluten again , but since I'm noticing an improvement in inflammation..I may not.
jaymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
I like the idea of doing an elimination diet, however, it looks like she also sells her own protein shakes and so on. From what I've read on her website, she advocates protein shakes, lean meats, and green veggies. That's not sustainable for me.

So, I won't buy her book, but I might do an elimination diet for three weeks. Probably not until January, though. And I'd need to figure out what I would eat. Dairy is currently a staple for me.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: stilldews
WOE: Keto Diet
I've read the book and have done the diet for about 10 days now. Down 5 pounds. I use unsweetened coconut milk and almond milk in place of other dairy. After the first 3 weeks, you add back the foods to see how you react to them. Some like sugar, artificial sweeteners, soy and peanuts aren't really recommended as healthy anyway. Dairy and eggs are the only 2 I hope to add back and don't think I will react to them. I've always been able to eat them without problems losing weight. Over all you eat lots of low carb vegetables, limited higher carb vegetables, limited gluten free grains, up to 2 fruites a day, mostly berries, lean proteins, and some fats such as nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil and coconut oil at each meal. 3 meals and one snack are allowed. The shakes do make it easier.

Last edited by stilldews; 12-16-2012 at 03:12 AM..
stilldews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #14

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: 155/143.4/135
WOE: OKL
Start Date: October 2014
Thanks for the summary, stilldews. Can you give me an idea of what you are eating for breakfast? I usually have yogurt and nuts. Looks like almonds and walnuts would still be okay.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148.8
Start Date: Jan 2001
I haven't read the book, but through trial and error over the years, I have my own elimination list, foods that I can't tolerate for one reason or other.

For me it is alcohol, sugar, aspatarme, soybeans in bean form but not all soy products, sugar alcohols (polyols), grains, cabbage, dairy & cheese except Greek yogurt, caffeine, chocolate, potato, sweet potatoes, corn, beans & legumes.

I enjoy meat, soymilk & TVP, fish, eggs along with most fruit and veggies, small seeds, salad dressings and oil. I can get quite creative with that much.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spydermonkey511
I started this today, just a mild headache so far , but I'm really hoping to figure out what makes me feel bad and to drop a few lbs. by few I mean 40-50 ;0)
spydermonkey511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #17

Gallery: mykneesareback
Stats: 234/pick any number down to 126
WOE: Calorie counting and exercise
Start Date: March 1, 2004 w/dietitian,doctor
And the billion dollar weight loss business beat goes on, thanks to you guys
mykneesareback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sissie35
Stats: 171/140/125
WOE: HcG/Simeons Protocol started 9/12
Start Date: Getting serious 5/19/2008
Is anyone else doing this? What has your results been so far?
sissie35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msack3889
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7/4/2012
My FIL has been doing this WOE for the past 2 or 3 months and loves it. He is down at least 25 lbs and has more energy than he's had in YEARS (he is 67). He was able to stop taking BP meds (with his Dr's approval).

I am going to try it soon too, once I am over this UTI

I too am interested in hearing if anyone else here is doing it and the results
msack3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: spydermonkey511
Day 23 for me and I'm down 12.8 lbs. I'm testing eggs today.
spydermonkey511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: msack3889
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 7/4/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey511 View Post
Day 23 for me and I'm down 12.8 lbs. I'm testing eggs today.
That's fantastic!

How did the egg testing go?
msack3889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post

nightshades? can you tell me about this a bit more? never heard of this.
Trigger828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
Hi All, I'm new to this forum but I saw this thread and had to respond.

I just started the Virgin Diet 5 days ago and so far, I'm loving it! It hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be due to all the restrictions for the first 3 weeks.

I've been low carbing for a couple years now and I always hit those stalls where no matter what I do, I can't keep the scale moving down and I end up sliding back up the scale. I saw JJ Virgin on TV and I never considered that food intolerance could be an issue for me but it made sense so I decided to give it a try.

I've lost 5lbs in 5 days and I know most of that was water but if I can lose 2-3 lbs a week for the remainder of the 3 week initial phase, then I'm all in.

It will be interesting to see if my weight loss stalls in this 3 week period. If it doesn't, and I start introducing some of the banned foods back in, and then stall, then maybe she's onto something.

It's too soon for me to give this plan a thumbs up or a thumbs down but so far, it's okay. I'm surprised because I thought this was going to be really hard to follow.

I'm curious if anyone is still following this plan past the 3 week "cleanse" phase, and if so, how is it going for you?
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Garden
Stats: 176/153.6/Skinny (5'4")
WOE: LC/LC
Start Date: 12/12/11(restart)10/02/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina View Post
Hi All, I'm new to this forum but I saw this thread and had to respond.

I just started the Virgin Diet 5 days ago and so far, I'm loving it! It hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be due to all the restrictions for the first 3 weeks.

I've been low carbing for a couple years now and I always hit those stalls where no matter what I do, I can't keep the scale moving down and I end up sliding back up the scale. I saw JJ Virgin on TV and I never considered that food intolerance could be an issue for me but it made sense so I decided to give it a try.

I've lost 5lbs in 5 days and I know most of that was water but if I can lose 2-3 lbs a week for the remainder of the 3 week initial phase, then I'm all in.

It will be interesting to see if my weight loss stalls in this 3 week period. If it doesn't, and I start introducing some of the banned foods back in, and then stall, then maybe she's onto something.

It's too soon for me to give this plan a thumbs up or a thumbs down but so far, it's okay. I'm surprised because I thought this was going to be really hard to follow.

I'm curious if anyone is still following this plan past the 3 week "cleanse" phase, and if so, how is it going for you?
Curious........are you still following this plan? My daughter started it in the middle of March and she looks amazing. She is so dedicated to it! I'm considering giving it a try, but can't get past the idea of eating carbs and losing weight. I've been staying around 150 for the past 6 months. She was about the same when she started. She does shakes, apples, gluten/grain free bars, quinoa, etc.

I'm still reading the book.
Garden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kathlynn

YES YES YES, this diet worked for me and will for ANYONE!
I lost 7 lbs in 7 days and for 5 months have enjoyed life much more, eating much more and without guilt, i am 50, this is a first. I always thougth Iwasn't athletic. BOy has that changed, myabe not athletic but much more active and 30 pounds lighter and still losing, albeit, slowly now but I look good and feel great. My intial weight loss happend over 3 months, about 20 lbs and I was slightly active, before--sedentary. But I have lost more inches in fat than the pounds actually showon the scales because I have retained muscle and only lost FAT. Muscle weighs more

At any rate, I had so many food intolerances and the biggest one I urge people to do is STOP ALL GLUTEN AND TRANS FATS IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE!!!!!!!! You will find that after the cleansing diet, your allergens will hit you quicker
becuase this food can now get into your bloodstream instead of before, a nest of havoc stacking on top just piling up leaving you fuzzy headed, drained, tired and looking haggard. So when you have an allergy to soemthing, you won't always wonder, which I like, I know now to immediately stop that food.

Good luck to you all, please please do the JJ VIRGIN diet, it's teh best thing that has ever happened tome and I wish I'd known more sooner, My daughter is a young adult and she has colitis, it's hard to get her to strictly adhere to this for now, but I hope it will help cure her or greatly improve her colon!

She was tested for Celiac years ago and the test was negative, but now after JJ VIRGIN advice, I am gluten free and realize that you may not have a true allergy but you may very well be highly intolerant, not much difference in my opinion except a true allergy will hospitalze you, well intolerances make you think you should LIVE in the hopital........I am intolerant to gluten which means no processed foods or breads etc for me except on the rarely ocassional splurge of a bite or two

God Bless!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie75 View Post
Anyone heard about this? I DVR'd this on PBS tonight. Haven't watched it all, but the basics are that for 21 days you completely cut 7 foods from your WOE.
They are:
Soy
Peanuts
Sugar and AS
Corn
Eggs
Dairy
Gluten

Her reasoning is that these are the main offenders in the area of food allergies. You cut these from your WOE for 3 weeks, then slowly add them back one at a time to see if you have a reaction to them. She's a big believer that undetechted food allergies add to our inflammation and cause all sorts ills including the inability to lose weight. Most of her people drop 7 pounds the first week.

May give this a stab after the holidays. I have a butt load of allergies; food allergies would not be a surprise.
kathlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden View Post
Curious........are you still following this plan? My daughter started it in the middle of March and she looks amazing. She is so dedicated to it! I'm considering giving it a try, but can't get past the idea of eating carbs and losing weight. I've been staying around 150 for the past 6 months. She was about the same when she started. She does shakes, apples, gluten/grain free bars, quinoa, etc.

I'm still reading the book.
I have been steady at this weight for the past month since I lost 28 lbs, I have begun the 7 day diet again to see if that breaks my plateau, so far 4 lbs down at day 4.............. might try that if you get stuck, and I am 152 now
Old 10-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbRachel View Post
Thanks for the summary, stilldews. Can you give me an idea of what you are eating for breakfast? I usually have yogurt and nuts. Looks like almonds and walnuts would still be okay.
almond butter spoonful, grapefruit and coffee