Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
The 4 Hour Body - The Slow Carb diet...

Has anyone read this book or tried it?

I've got the book on my kindle but havent had the time to read it yet so I was just wonder what everyone thought about it. I know its a very strict low carb diet 6 days a week and you can cheat on the 7th day (love that idea btw!) but I'm not sure on the "rules" of the diet.
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KittyMcKnitty
Stats: >165/135/120
WOE: Paleo
I tried it and hated it. It's not low-carb, but it is strict. It's meat, vegetables and beans every meal. I got so freaking sick of beans, which are arguably unhealthy because of the phytic acid and lectins they contain, not to mention all the carbs. The cheat day is awesome, but I made little to no progress trying to lose weight.

The book has great advice for athletic performance, but the diet sucks.
KittyMcKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: rose1
WOE: Vegetarian SB
Start Date: June, 2005
Google has a number of links to the plan, reviews, forums, etc. You could probably find out what you need to know without actually reading the book.
rose1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
See this thread Are you a Moderator or an Abstainer?

if you are an abstainer type, not meaning that you don't WANT to have days off plan but that when you do it tends to derail your effort, this would be a bad idea.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I dont have a problem eating beans, even when I did Atkins I still ate black beans and kidney beans without a problem. It was honestly the only way I could have a huge salad at work and feel full all day (I HATE leftover/cold meat, it HAS to be freshly cooked or I cant eat it and I cant cook meat at work)

I really like the idea of the cheat day every week a lot, thats kinda why i want to try it. Whenever I've done Atkins I only let myself have a cheat day once a month which ALWAYS ended up being a week long cheat since I knew I wouldn't have it again for a month.
159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150
Old 10-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammykatt View Post
I dont have a problem eating beans, even when I did Atkins I still ate black beans and kidney beans without a problem. It was honestly the only way I could have a huge salad at work and feel full all day (I HATE leftover/cold meat, it HAS to be freshly cooked or I cant eat it and I cant cook meat at work)
If you like beans enough to have them at every meal and aren't concerned with the anti-nutrients in them, you may be someone who can stick to the diet. However, the diet calls for meat with every meal as well, so beans and salad for lunch would not technically be following the diet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammykatt View Post
I really like the idea of the cheat day every week a lot, thats kinda why i want to try it. Whenever I've done Atkins I only let myself have a cheat day once a month which ALWAYS ended up being a week long cheat since I knew I wouldn't have it again for a month.
I loved cheat days - they are the best part of the diet, if they don't stop your weight loss. I used all his tricks for cheat day damage control - Cissus, PAGG stack, drinking grapefruit juice before meals and doing body weight squats before and after eating - and the cheat days still undid what little progress I made during the week.

In case you are tempted to order the PAGG stack, I didn't find it to be the miracle he claims it is in the book. I ordered it twice and my friends who were doing the diet with me did too. It was very expensive and it didn't seem to do anything for any of us. The only positive reviews you will find of it are done by people selling it.

As you can tell, I would not recommend this diet to anyone. Ferris claims in the book that you can easily drop 20 pounds in a month, and that is flat-out wrong. I followed the diet to the letter, including eating beans, spinach and eggs for breakfast (horrible) and using all the supplements, and I didn't have any results to speak of.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
I tried the diet, and lovingly dubbed it the "bean diet." But I got wayyyy over beans quickly and found that it was too restrictive and the cheat days were too tempting and hard to bounce back from. I did see some positive changes in my body, but just couldn't stick to it.
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Oh.. You have to eat meat with EVERY meal? Well... That wont work for me then... Well crap... back to finding something else for me then. =/
Old 10-31-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
All the cultures w longevity eat beans.

Why not try South Beach. It icludes a serving of beans daily and you can add some carbs, gradually.
When I say a serving, that's what I mean....not a whole plate.
Of course, this is information included in most plans including Atkins.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
All the cultures w longevity eat beans.
Not canned beans at every meal.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I've never heard of bean being unhealthy. But I also dont used canned ones either, its not like it hard to just cook your own.

I have done South Beach (back when it was a new fad thing to do) and its not something I would ever stick with.

I guess my only problems with Atkins is I honestly dont eat enough. When I was doing it I was only eating maybe 800 cals a day. I wasnt ever hungry so I was ALWAYS having to force myself to eat.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
I read up on it and it did not sound appealing to me. But a guy here in my office has been doing this diet for a few months and lost around 30 pounds... and he wasn't even somebody I would call "heavy" to begin with.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hberi
Stats: 127-127-100
WOE: 4hrbody
Start Date: November 2012
I started the 4hr body diet the first of this month. I live in Latin America so the beans thing appealed to me plus all the veggies fit well in my regular diet too. The thing I like about this diet is that you can eat as much as you want of the "allowed" food. What I have had a problem with is zero dairy products. I am concerned about my calcium.
hberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
There are many vegetables that contain lots of calcium... chia seeds for instance contain about 6 times for calcium than milk.
thinking_thinly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I'm reading the book now and it sounds pretty easy.

No where does he say you HAVE to eat beans or meat with every meal. So thats good.

I know he says no dairy, but then he will give an example of a menu and it will have cheese and sour cream in it... So I'm not really sure about that part. I do plan on having cheese in my mexican type meals I will be making since that is something I could never give up. But I also dont eat that much of it! =P

I tend to eat the same few meals over and over now as it is. I hate cooking for just myself and since I no longer have a fiance to cook for, I just end up making the same few dishes for myself.

I think the only hard part for me would really only be the 30 grams of protein within 30 mins. I think the only way I can do that is with a protein shake which would be fine with me.

I'm looking forward to finishing the book and starting it. I think its going to have to wait for Jan 1st tho (WAY to many things coming up!)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hberi View Post
I started the 4hr body diet the first of this month. I live in Latin America so the beans thing appealed to me plus all the veggies fit well in my regular diet too. The thing I like about this diet is that you can eat as much as you want of the "allowed" food. What I have had a problem with is zero dairy products. I am concerned about my calcium.
How do you like it so far?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #17
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hberi
Stats: 127-127-100
WOE: 4hrbody
Start Date: November 2012
I like it so far. I don't feel so weighed down and "blah" after I eat, which clearly means I was eating carbage before I started the diet! The only thing is the first few days I felt a bit weak, but I upped the amount of beans and proteins I was eating and now my body is starting to balance out. I must say that this is the first diet I have ever been on, I have recently gained almost 30 lbs in 3 months! (I quit smoking and became a stay at home both 3 months ago) so there ya have it. I did a lot of reading on other diets from some craaaaazy fads (some lemonade cayenne pepper thing?!) To simply counting calories and this diet seemed like it would be my best fit. I already feel so much healthier although its probably just a.mental thing but who cares. good luck in your search for yours.
hberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thats good! Its funny how you can feel healthier in just a few days by changing what you eat! =P

I gained 30 pounds from dating my now ex fiance... I ate horribly with him!

I'm still reading the book. But I think this is really something I can do. Its pretty much like how I did Atkins back in the day, only I know I can have a cheat day every week which is awesome! (yeah, I stopped Atkins because the thought of never getting to eat some things again was killing me, which would then lead to a 2 week "cheat day")
Old 11-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigbri
The 4HB is my favourite. Had no trouble sticking with it. Beans were no problem. Cheat day was great. I held my cheat weight for 2 or sometimes 3 days but then had a good weight loss after that. Not doing it at the moment as my partner wanted to try something else.
bigbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Today was day 2 for me and so far Its really easy!
Old 11-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bigbri
It is easy. I use the red kidney beans in a tin. They are cheap here and really tasty. As a treat I had the Mexican type re-fried beans. But I tend to eat to much of that.

Bri
bigbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

So far I've lost 6.4 pounds and its only been two weeks. I can say this is the perfect diet for me! I do not eat meat and beans with every meal, no where in the book does it says you have too! I do keep track of my calories and I must say that eating way is hard to make it to my goal of 1600 calories! I do make sure I have the 30 grams of protein within 30 mins of waking and at least 20 grams of protein at every meal after that. I haven't gone too crazy in the cheat days since I haven't craved anything yet (so not normal for me!) I just eat at least one "bad" meal that day and have a milkshake at some point too. I would totally recommend this diet to people.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: renedlb
Book

Exactly what book are you talking about?

Trying to find it on amazon

Thanks
renedlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Its called "The 4 Hour Body" Its by Tim Ferriss
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: melbeee
Im doing this, I have not read the book but have the app and a cook book. I thought I would miss the carbs but I don't and it has been quite easy to do. I don't know if I have lost weight or not but I feel better in myself and I have not found it as hard as I thought. My best freind is also doing it and is now a size 10 - she has lost loads of weight but has been doing it for a few months now.

I usually have, scrambled egg for breakfast - sometimes with lean ham

Salad or soup for lunch

Meat with loads of veggies for tea

My husband thinks it works because it is restricting calories, which is true but it is good and I enjoy it.
melbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:05 AM   #26
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LowCarbRachel
Stats: size 10/size 6-8/size 6
WOE: Gluten Free/Grain Free
Start Date: January 2013
I have a friend at work who did this for two weeks and lost 11 pounds. He's a single male and it seemed easy for him as a short term solution. However, he didn't feel like he wanted to keep it up for the long term. He'll go back to it as a short term solution after the holidays, though.

He is either at or close to a normal weight, so he didn't have a lot of extra weight to lose.
LowCarbRachel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
So how often is the cheat day....once a week for one meal? This is the first I've heard about this WOE...it sounds doable. Tell me more!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fit2010 View Post
So how often is the cheat day....once a week for one meal? This is the first I've heard about this WOE...it sounds doable. Tell me more!
Its a cheat day once a week. You are still suppose to have your 30g of protein within 30 mins but then you can eat whatever you want all day. =) I love it!
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

RULE 1: AVOID "WHITE" CARBOHYDRATES.
Avoid any carbohydrate that is, or can be, white. The following foods are prohibited, except for within 30 minutes of finishing a resistance-training workout like those described in the "From Geek to Freak" or "Occam's Protocol" chapters: all bread, rice (including brown), cereal, potatoes, pasta, tortillas, and fried food with breading. If you avoid eating the aforementioned foods and anything else white, you'll be safe.
Just for fun, another reason to avoid the whities: chlorine dioxide, one of the chemicals used to bleach flour (even if later made brown again, a common trick), combines with residual protein in most of these foods to form alloxan. Researchers use alloxan in lab rats to induce diabetes. That's right-it's used to produce diabetes. This is bad news if you eat anything white or "enriched."
Don't eat white stuff unless you want to get fatter.

RULE 2: EAT THE SAME FEW MEALS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.
The most successful dieters, regardless of whether their goal is muscle gain or fat-loss, eat the same few meals over and over again. There are 47,000 products in the average U.S. grocery store, but only a handful of them won't make you fat.
Mix and match from the following list, constructing each meal with one pick from each of the three groups. I've starred the choices that produce the fastest fat-loss for me:

Proteins
*Egg whites with 1–2 whole eggs for flavor (or, if organic, 2–5 whole eggs, including yolks)
*Chicken breast or thigh
*Black beans
*Beef (preferably grass-fed)
Pork
*Fish

Legumes
*Lentils (also called "dal" or "daal")
Pinto beans
Red beans
Soybeans

Vegetables
*Spinach
*Mixed vegetables (including broccoli, cauliflower, or any other cruciferous vegetables)
*Sauerkraut, kimchee (full explanation of these later in "Damage Control")
Asparagus
Peas
Broccoli
Green beans

Eat as much as you like of the above food items, but keep it simple. Pick three or four meals and repeat them. Almost all restaurants can give you a salad or vegetables in place of french fries, potatoes, or rice.
Surprisingly, I have found Mexican food (after swapping out rice for vegetables) to be one of the cuisines most conducive to the Slow-Carb Diet. If you have to pay an extra $1–3 to substitute at a restaurant, consider it your six-pack tax, the nominal fee you pay to be lean. Most people who go on "low"-carbohydrate diets complain of low energy and quit because they consume insufficient calories. A half-cup of rice is 300 calories, whereas a half-cup of spinach is 15 calories! Vegetables are not calorically dense, so it is critical that you add legumes for caloric load.
Eating more frequently than four times per day might be helpful on higher-carb diets to prevent gorging, but it's not necessary with the ingredients we're using. Eating more frequent meals also appears to have no enhancing effect on resting metabolic rate, despite claims to the contrary.
Frequent meals can be used in some circumstances (see "The Last Mile"), but not for this reason.

Here are some of my meals that recur again and again:

Breakfast (home): Scrambled Eggology® pourable egg whites with one whole egg, black beans, and mixed vegetables warmed up or cooked in a microwave using Pyrex® containers.
Lunch (Mexican restaurant): Grass-fed organic beef, pinto beans, mixed vegetables, and extra guacamole.
Dinner (home): Grass-fed organic beef (from Trader Joe's), lentils, and mixed vegetables.

Just remember: this diet is, first and foremost, intended to be effective, not fun. It can be fun with a few tweaks (the next chapter covers this), but that's not the goal.

RULE 3: DON'T DRINK CALORIES.
Drink massive quantities of water and as much unsweetened tea, coffee (with no more than two tablespoons of cream; I suggest using cinnamon instead), or other no-calorie/low-calorie beverages as you like. Do not drink milk (including soy milk), normal soft drinks, or fruit juice. Limit diet soft drinks to no more than 16 ounces per day if you can, as the aspartame can stimulate weight gain.
I'm a wine fanatic and have one to two glasses of red wine almost every evening. It doesn't appear to have any negative impact on my rate of fat-loss. Red wine is by no means required for this diet to work, but it's 100% allowed (unlike white wines and beer, both of which should be avoided). Up to two glasses of red per night, no more.

RULE 4: DON'T EAT FRUIT.
Humans don't need fruit six days a week, and they certainly don't need it year-round. If your ancestors were from Europe, for example, how much fruit did they eat in the winter 500 years ago? Think they had Florida oranges in December? Not a chance. But you're still here, so the lineage somehow survived.
The only exceptions to the no-fruit rule are tomatoes and avocadoes, and the latter should be eaten in moderation (no more than one cup or one meal per day). Otherwise, just say no to fruit and its principal sugar, fructose, which is converted to glycerol phosphate more efficiently than almost all other carbohydrates. Glycerol phosphate p triglycerides (via the liver) p fat storage. There are a few biochemical exceptions to this, but avoiding fruit six days per week is the most reliable policy.
But what's this "six days a week" business? It's the seventh day that allows you, if you so desire, to eat peach crepes and banana bread until you go into a coma.

RULE 5: TAKE ONE DAY OFF PER WEEK.
I recommend Saturdays as your Dieters Gone Wild (DGW) day. I am allowed to eat whatever I want on Saturdays, and I go out of my way to eat ice cream, Snickers, Take 5, and all of my other vices in excess. If I drank beer, I'd have a few pints of Paulaner Hefe-Weizen.
I make myself a little sick each Saturday and don't want to look at any junk for the rest of the week. Paradoxically, dramatically spiking caloric intake in this way once per week increases fat-loss by ensuring that your metabolic rate (thyroid function and conversion of T4 to T3, etc.) doesn't downshift from extended caloric restriction.
That's right: eating pure crap can help you lose fat. Welcome to Utopia. There are no limits or boundaries during this day of gluttonous enjoyment. There is absolutely no calorie counting on this diet, on this day or any other.
Start the diet at least five days before your designated cheat day. If you choose Saturday, for example, I would suggest starting your diet on a Monday.

That's All, Folks!

If the founding fathers could sum up our government in a six-page constitution, the above is all we need to summarize rapid fat-loss for 99.99% of the population. Followed to the letter, I've never seen it fail. Never. When you feel mired in details or confused by the latest-and-greatest
contradictory advice, return to this short chapter. All you need to remember is:

Rule 1: Avoid "white" carbohydrates (or anything that can be white).
Rule 2: Eat the same few meals over and over again.
Rule 3: Don't drink calories.
Rule 4: Don't eat fruit.
Rule 5: Take one day off per week and go nuts.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Fit2010
Stats: Ht 5'3" Wt 12/09=190;9/10=137;2/14=196.5
WOE: MediWeightLoss-like/Atkins-like
Start Date: 12-28-09; restart 02-07-14
thx for the info!!
Fit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote