Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Other Plans
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NettieL
Stats: 223/183.4/160
WOE: Atkins/ctflc
Start Date: April 2010
Hi All, I am so glad I found this board. I have been doing this slow carb diet (4 hour body) for a week now. Doing very well. Down 3 pounds even though I went out to eat twice last week.
I am also doing the kettlebell swing that is showed in the book...and I feel myself tightening at the gut, waist and abdomen.
I eat a few black beans in my salad and it holds me well. I bought the canned and rinsed out the syrup.
I find it very do-able so far. Not so much up and down days. I saw in the book that a lady on the diet carried a small notebook with her and when she had a craving she wrote it down to have on her cheat day. I did that and amazing...the crave went away, because I know I can have it soon.
Regarding the mild issue. The lady who runs the fitness center I go to is Korean and she said Asians do NOT drink milk.
I don't see anything lacking.
They probably get the calcium from cheeses etc.
PS I got the book from the library. I was able to extend the time 1 time and I took notes from it.
He has a website and many good recipes in the 4 hour chef book and website.
I am looking forward to studying all the very informative posts.
Annette
NettieL is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
I love this diet. I find it very easy to stick to and not have all the cravings like I used too.
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #33
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GoJackets
Stats: 250/240/150
WOE: 4 Hour Body
Start Date: Feb. 04, 2013
It's been years since I have been back on this board. I was starting 4HB and searching forums online and thought to check here! My husband has been doing it for two years. He lost 45 lbs (he was at 220 and teeters between 175 - 180) and has kept it off. He fluctuates when we go on vacation, but gets right back on track.

Glad to hear people talking about this diet. I put it off because I didn't think I could handle eating clean for six days. But, I've tried everything else and having watched my husband do it for two years, I figure I should give it a go! There is a free pdf version of the book online. I recommend reading it.

Hope to keep the discussion going. I need a lot of help, lol! I'm up to 250lbs. I turn 40 at the end of the year, and it's time to change my lifestyle. I want this badly! Going to bed after completing the first day!

PS - I need to update my my signature sometime. Little Jackets is soon to be seven and now has a little sister who will be five! Wow, time flies!

4HB - Start 2/3/2013 250.4 @ 234.5 as of 4/6/13

Last edited by GoJackets; 02-04-2013 at 07:20 PM..
GoJackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJackets View Post
It's been years since I have been back on this board. I was starting 4HB and searching forums online and thought to check here! My husband has been doing it for two years. He lost 45 lbs (he was at 220 and teeters between 175 - 180) and has kept it off. He fluctuates when we go on vacation, but gets right back on track.

Glad to hear people talking about this diet. I put it off because I didn't think I could handle eating clean for six days. But, I've tried everything else and having watched my husband do it for two years, I figure I should give it a go! There is a free pdf version of the book online. I recommend reading it.

Hope to keep the discussion going. I need a lot of help, lol! I'm up to 250lbs. I turn 40 at the end of the year, and it's time to change my lifestyle. I want this badly! Going to bed after completing the first day!

PS - I need to update my my signature sometime. Little Jackets is soon to be seven and now has a little sister who will be five! Wow, time flies!
How are you doing? I think I have to cut down on the lentils. Causing a bit of discomfort. They do help prevent hunger feeling though. Any suggestions?
Old 02-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #35

Today is day 4! I am down about 5 pounds, but DH told me to put off weighing daily. And of course I am not convinced the fat will melt off yet because I always lose about 5 pounds when I start something new.

That said, I do feel good. My struggle with dieting is being a preschool teacher. We get snacks daily, and then parents like to send in sweet treats on top of the snacks they send in for the little ones.

My problem is that I love sugary stuff, and I have to top it off with something salty after (which is usually something crunchy and full of carbs). One of my favorite snacks is the caramel bugles! Another problem for me is portion control....even if I am eating good foods, I overeat and top it off with a sugar/salt combo!

I peed a TON the first day. Like 5 times more the trips that I would usually make in a day.

Today was my first temptation.....one of my kids brought in homemade sugar cookies. I took a tiny bite (no bigger than a fingernail). I admit, it was good. But, I didn't take it any further.

My husband assured me that if I was hungry, I was doing something wrong like not eating enough. I was hungry the first day, but I can't say that the past three days. I've been pretty satisfied.

My days are pretty much the same

Breakfast:
2 hard boiled eggs and a protein shake within 30 minutes of getting up (28gms of protein)

Lunch: Large bowl of homemade chili with canned beans and organic beef and tomatoes

Snack: Black beans with guacamole and salsa

Dinner: a meat protein (steak, pork chop, etc) and a veggie (green beans or 1/2 sweet potato: which I have to be careful with). Or we will have a salad with grilled chicken.

Before bed: i can't help it, but i do eat the tiniest bite of peanut butter - just to taste something sweet.

I am taking the vitamins that Ferris suggests, except the garlic. DH took the garlic and he smelled for months, lol.

I can't say that I am bored yet. I have thought endlessly about my cheat day though. I want to make it purposeful without overindulging. Since my cravings are down, it's hard to say what will make me the happiest, lol.

DH wants me to give it two weeks.

Probably more than you asked for, but I know I am going to need to come here to jot my thoughts....even if no one else reads!

Do you like black beans? The black bean/guac/salsa salad I make has helped me with hunger. I eat it cold and just a small portion.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #36

I am anxious to try the kettle bells.....where should I start?
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

kettlebells

Quote:
I am anxious to try the kettle bells.....where should I start?
Well I started with 15 pound kettlebells.
It depends how much working out you have been doing, and your age I guess.
I do 15 reps x 3 sets and that is all it takes.
The recommendation is every other day, and that is what I do.
You have to decide on what weight you can handle.
You do rest for a minute between sets.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Today is day 4! I am down about 5 pounds, but DH told me to put off weighing daily. And of course I am not convinced the fat will melt off yet because I always lose about 5 pounds when I start something new.

That said, I do feel good. My struggle with dieting is being a preschool teacher. We get snacks daily, and then parents like to send in sweet treats on top of the snacks they send in for the little ones.

My problem is that I love sugary stuff, and I have to top it off with something salty after (which is usually something crunchy and full of carbs). One of my favorite snacks is the caramel bugles! Another problem for me is portion control....even if I am eating good foods, I overeat and top it off with a sugar/salt combo!

I peed a TON the first day. Like 5 times more the trips that I would usually make in a day.

Today was my first temptation.....one of my kids brought in homemade sugar cookies. I took a tiny bite (no bigger than a fingernail). I admit, it was good. But, I didn't take it any further.

My husband assured me that if I was hungry, I was doing something wrong like not eating enough. I was hungry the first day, but I can't say that the past three days. I've been pretty satisfied.

My days are pretty much the same

Breakfast:
2 hard boiled eggs and a protein shake within 30 minutes of getting up (28gms of protein)

Lunch: Large bowl of homemade chili with canned beans and organic beef and tomatoes

Snack: Black beans with guacamole and salsa

Dinner: a meat protein (steak, pork chop, etc) and a veggie (green beans or 1/2 sweet potato: which I have to be careful with). Or we will have a salad with grilled chicken.

Before bed: i can't help it, but i do eat the tiniest bite of peanut butter - just to taste something sweet.

I am taking the vitamins that Ferris suggests, except the garlic. DH took the garlic and he smelled for months, lol.

I can't say that I am bored yet. I have thought endlessly about my cheat day though. I want to make it purposeful without overindulging. Since my cravings are down, it's hard to say what will make me the happiest, lol.

DH wants me to give it two weeks.

Probably more than you asked for, but I know I am going to need to come here to jot my thoughts....even if no one else reads!

Do you like black beans? The black bean/guac/salsa salad I make has helped me with hunger. I eat it cold and just a small portion.
Write down on a memo pad what you want to have on your cheat day. It helps get it out of your mind.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #39

Do sugar withdrawals makes you cranky?? I've been not so nice today!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #40

started Monday and made it to cheat day today! Down 6.5 lbs. Let's see what happens.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
started Monday and made it to cheat day today! Down 6.5 lbs. Let's see what happens.
SUPER!
Old 02-12-2013, 10:20 AM   #42

been a rough week with cheats. very small ones, but enough to disappoint myself. i work in a preschool and it's Valentine's Day Week. Yes, it lasts a week in school.

worrying about weighing in on Saturday morning!!! and it's sooooo far away!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
been a rough week with cheats. very small ones, but enough to disappoint myself. i work in a preschool and it's Valentine's Day Week. Yes, it lasts a week in school.

worrying about weighing in on Saturday morning!!! and it's sooooo far away!
This is a tough week. I have realized that after a cheat day, it takes me a couple of days to get rid of the cravings.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NettieL View Post
This is a tough week. I have realized that after a cheat day, it takes me a couple of days to get rid of the cravings.
DS asked for potato soup tonight.....how do you make potato soup without tasting it???? and one of our preschoolers had a birthday and all morning i said "please don't bring a cookie cake, please don't bring a cookie cake." of course it was a COOKIE CAKE!!!! a tiny piece....but a tiny piece here and a taste there all adds up....we will see what the damage is on Saturday!
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #45

Is it Saturday yet? This has been a very hard week!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Is it Saturday yet? This has been a very hard week!
ME TOO!
Yesterday was terrible, and I just could not fight it anymore.
Meeting a friend at Pannera today and that won't help the situation.
Good luck with your scale.
Maybe you did better than you realize.
I know I did not.

Looks like it is just you and me here on this board now.
I enjoy seeing your posts.

We will get each other through this!

Annette
Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #47

Well Annette, I lost .5 pound, so I am down seven for 2 weeks.

I could have done a lot better, but considering the things that came through the preschool and my lips (oops), I'll take it! Back on tomorrow.....going hard this week.

I have read several sources that said that women 40 and over with two or more kids take about 6 to 8 weeks to see serious movement on the scale. I am starting week three. We shall see!
Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Well Annette, I lost .5 pound, so I am down seven for 2 weeks.

I could have done a lot better, but considering the things that came through the preschool and my lips (oops), I'll take it! Back on tomorrow.....going hard this week.

I have read several sources that said that women 40 and over with two or more kids take about 6 to 8 weeks to see serious movement on the scale. I am starting week three. We shall see!
I have found it helps me to also check my measurements. That is sometimes a better indicator of progress when the scale gets stuck.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
I'm still around! I'm just changing a few things here and there since the big Saturday cheat days ruin all my progress. But I'm still here and working on it!
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammykatt View Post
I'm still around! I'm just changing a few things here and there since the big Saturday cheat days ruin all my progress. But I'm still here and working on it!
yep.....gotta tweak my Saturdays too, altho i've decided not to weigh in between Saturdays anymore!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammykatt View Post
Good to see you. Lurking heh? I had to cut down on beans and lentils.
They fill me, but give distress.
I am still hovering around the weight I started this at, a few weeks ago.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #52

I think I am going to give it that 6 to 8 week window Ferris refers to......of course the weight melted off hubby when he did it! :rollseyes:

Annette, how are you getting your carbs if you cut down on beans?

Last edited by GoJackets; 02-17-2013 at 07:50 PM..
Old 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #53

grumble grumble grumble

maybe i need to go ahead and add some exercise!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I think I am going to give it that 6 to 8 week window Ferris refers to......of course the weight melted off hubby when he did it! :rollseyes:

Annette, how are you getting your carbs if you cut down on beans?
I am doing my carbs via vegetables. I may try the beans again, as it does eliminate the hunger.
As far as exercise. I lost the first 30 pounds, while doing Zumba.
It just dropped off me, especially my butt and abdomen.
And it is so much fun.
I am down 2 pounds this week.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #55

Quote:
I am doing my carbs via vegetables. I may try the beans again, as it does eliminate the hunger.
As far as exercise. I lost the first 30 pounds, while doing Zumba.
It just dropped off me, especially my butt and abdomen.
And it is so much fun.
I am down 2 pounds this week.
Yay on the loss!

I was a Zumba nut last year. I really need to get moving again. We have a nice elliptical that I enjoy using.....but I am so mad about having to restrict goodies all week that I just don't want to exercise! And of course my "turd" husband (who I love dearly) lost all of his weight without moving a muscle.

I know we can't go by the same rules though. I feel like if I got moving, then I would see better results.

My Saturday weigh ins:
243.2 (bad cheat week for me - I'll take it)

Today, I was at 244.2 which DH swears will be gone (plus more) on Saturday. I know I am pouting, but I will not be a happy camper if I don't drop 2 lbs this week.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:20 AM   #56

had a woosh and woke up at 242.2....makes me feel better.....hopefully my Saturday weigh in will be better!

Last edited by GoJackets; 02-21-2013 at 04:26 AM..
Old 02-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
had a woosh and woke up at 239.6!!! makes me feel MUCH better.....can't wait for Saturday weigh in now!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #58

Quote:

scale was off a little....i edited my post.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #59

Mistake #5: MISTIMING WEIGHINGS WITH YOUR MENSTRUAL CYCLE (NOT A PROBLEM FOR BACHELORS) Women tend to retain much more water just before their periods. Be sure to take this into account when you start your diet and take measurements.

Ignore scale readings in the 10 days before menstruation. They’re not at all a reflection of what’s happening. If you are following the diet to the letter, you will lose fat. Treat your first weighing following your period (as soon as one day following is fine) as your “after” measurement. Don’t let short-term water fluctuations discourage you. Be aware of your menstrual timing so you don’t mistakenly conclude the diet isn’t working.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #60

So....not too bad....I did end up weighing and had a loss.....241.4, so I am down 9 pounds in three weeks.

Considering how bad Valentine's WEEK was, I should be happy with it.

My skin is much better and I have had more energy. I don't ever feel hungry. The only time I really get frustrated is when there are treats at work I can't eat. DH says that once I get closer to my goal, the diet is a little more forgiving on those days I might want to sample something. But I can tell in three weeks that I am less interested in sugar.....I think more about starches on my cheat day then sweets.

Today is lasagna and garlic bread for lunch and Mexican for supper!